Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 16 The ball and two interviews

Sunday 24th May continued.
I took Richard's arm as we descended the wide staircase and entered the ballroom. The musicians were already on the stage at one end of the room and tuning up their instruments. It was now about eight-thirty o'clock and the room glowed as some of the footmen lit hundreds of candles. I had asked Mama and Papa, together with Emma to arrive early for a purpose. Thanks to my loss of memory when I was unwell, I could not recognise most of our guests, so I asked Mama to stand with me and whisper their names for me to greet them in case I did not catch the names over the general hubbub when the footman announced their entry into the ballroom.

Emma looked very pretty and I suspected that she was wearing a new gown which made her look quite grown up. I had arranged with Mama that Emma and her nurse would spend the night with us since she would undoubtedly be ready to retire long before the ball concluded.

After nine o'clock, more guests began to arrive, and the room started to fill up. As the hosts, Richard and I, together with Mama and Papa formed a receiving line. The older women bowed, the young women curtseyed, the men bowed to us and we acknowledged them with a nod and a smile. Everyone was dressed most beautifully; the women looked pretty in their gorgeous gowns, and the men handsome in their evening dress. When all the guests had arrived, and introductions made for those young men and women who did not know each other but wished to, requests were made to partner each other at the first set of two dances (the maximum number allowed for unmarried couples is two sets) a signal was given to the orchestra and the first dances were held.

As the hostess, I was naturally the 'top lady' of the set and danced with Richard. Our first dance was the Country Dance, and we called the dance, its steps and variations. I noticed that both my sisters from Grasmere were dancing with some handsome young men, and obviously enjoying themselves very much. Since my Mama had selected appropriate young gentlemen, I had no doubt that they were all of excellent families and in possession of a good fortune, so I had no concerns. We danced the first set of two dances and then paused to talk to some of our guests.

REgency-era-dances.jpg

Some of the older gentlemen, had retired to a small room adjoining the ballroom, to play cards. All their wives remained in the ballroom to enjoy the dances and fashion and also as chaperones for their daughters. Emma was sitting with Mama, and I could see that she was desperate to dance, having been taking lessons from my dance master M Pierrot. I have been taking some more lessons from him, with Richard's kind permission, since as mistress of the house I will doubtless be the hostess of many more balls and need to keep abreast of the latest dances.

Seeing Richard close by, I walked up to him and quietly asked if he would mind asking Emma to dance the cotillion since there were no children her own age at the ball and she had recently been learning it. He very kindly agreed and after a few minutes, so that Emma would not suspect it was due to my urging, Richard walked up to us, bowed to Emma and asked if he might have the honour of the next dance with her. Emma looked at Mama, seeking her permission, and it being given and her told it was the cotillion, she stood up, curtseyed very sweetly took Richard's proffered hand, and walked onto the floor with him. Mama and I watched proudly as Emma acquitted herself very well in the dance, and when Richard escorted her back to her seat next to Mama and complimented her of her dancing skills, she was absolutely thrilled, but remembered to curtsey to Richard and thank him, before he took a seat with us.

It was now about eleven o'clock and very late for Emma to be staying up. I had arranged with Mama that she could stay overnight with her nurse in one of the bedrooms, so Mama now escorted her upstairs. While dancing I had noticed that Lucy was dancing with Freddie Featherstonehaugh (pronounced 'Fanshaw' would you believe?) and they seemed to be enjoying each other's company very much.

After the next set of dances, which I danced with Richard it was time for supper. A great selection of cold meats, pickles, and root vegetables, tarts and custards, as well as wines and water had been set out on silver dishes in the dining room, and most of our guests repaired there for refreshment. Mama and Papa however had decided to return home since Papa had to attend the university today. I had promised to send Emma and her nurse home in our coach in the morning.

Before they left, I asked Mama if she thought the ball was a success, and buoyed by her reassurance, I asked about Freddie Fanshaw (I intend to use his phonetic name as being so much shorter than the correct spelling). She told me that his father Sir Frederick Fanshaw owns a large country property south of Oxford, and Freddie, as he is called to distinguish him from his father, is currently completing a degree in Arts at the university. I remembered seeing Sir Frederick who was one of the husbands who repaired to the card table, mainly because he was very sallow with a tinge of yellow in appearance and did not look at all well.

“I understand Frederick already possesses a large fortune and will have even more when he succeeds his father, as well as most probably also being knighted. Whichever young lady receives an offer from him will be well advised to accept it,” Mama said with a smile.

“Indeed?” I replied. “He seems to be greatly enjoying dancing with my sister-in-law Lucy from Grasmere.” Mama raised an eyebrow and smiled.

Around one-thirty, dancing recommenced, and the final sets were completed about five o'clock, just as dawn was breaking and breakfast was served for those who wished to partake of it. When the last guest had finally left, I confess I felt very tired as did Lucy, Sarah and, I must surely believe, Richard. The servants present were also looking very tired, so we all retired for some hours of repose. Fortunately, Mrs Danvers and Mr Anderson had divided the staff so that there were some who had a normal night's sleep and so arose at the usual time to perform their duties.

Later in the morning, after some breakfast with us, Emma and her maid were conveyed home in our coach. Emma was still quite excited about the ball and could hardly wait to tell all her friends about it and how she had danced with Richard, her brother-in-law.

Monday 25th May
This afternoon, Lucy, Sarah and I were having a quiet day sitting in the drawing room. I was drawing, and Lucy and Sarah were busy with their needlework, when my keen ears picked up the sounds of a horse's hooves on the gravel driveway. It stopped outside the front door, and I wondered who it could be. A few minutes later a maid entered and informed us that it was Mr Frederick Fanshaw, hoping that he might be permitted to pay us a visit.

I glanced at the two sisters and noticed that Lucy was now blushing deeply.

“Are we at home, ladies?” I asked and not receiving any comment to the contrary, I asked Rose, the maid, to show him in.

A few moments later, Freddie appeared at the door and bowed low. Lucy and Sarah both stood and curtseyed, and I smiled and nodded to him.

“Please come in Mr Fanshaw and take a seat,” I said, indicating a chair a few feet away from where Lucy and Sarah sat.

“I hope you will forgive my unannounced visit, Mrs d'Anglais,” he said. “But I felt I must come to personally express my thanks for the most delightful ball which you and Mr d'Anglais hosted on Saturday evening.”

“That is very thoughtful of you, Mr Fanshaw,” I replied. “I was very pleased that it was such a success. I hope that Sir Frederick and Lady Fanshaw enjoyed themselves too?”

“Oh yes! Very much indeed. My Papa is not a great dancer, but he does enjoy cards and I believe he won, which would please him greatly. Mama said that the scene was beautiful, the fashions delightful, and she can't remember when she last enjoyed a ball so much.”

“Please convey my thanks to Lady Susan for her kind remarks, and to Sir Frederick too,” I said. “Might I invite you to take tea with us?”

“Thank you very much,” he replied, so I picked up a little bell and rang it. Immediately one of the maids appeared and I asked her to arrange tea for us and our guest. Some minutes later maids entered with the tea chest, fine china teacups and saucers, a tea pot, water pot, a small jug of milk, a kettle of boiling water and finally a plate of small cakes. All these were placed on the low circular table. I asked Lucy to prepare the tea for us which gave her an excuse to ask Freddie how he liked his tea. (“Not too strong and no milk thank you”)

I was pleased to see that Lucy was getting over her shyness, and now joined in the conversation. We passed a very pleasant hour together before Freddie said that he must be going but thanked us most sincerely for our hospitality.

“You are most welcome, Mr Fanshaw. I hope we will see you again soon,” I replied.

“Lucy, perhaps you would like to escort Mr Fanshaw to the door and arrange for a groom to bring round his horse?”

Lucy stood, blushed and said 'Of course, ma'am.” and curtseyed to me. After Freddie had made his bows, she led the way out of the room.

Once she was gone, Sarah and I looked at each other.

“I think she's in love with him,” said Sarah. I smiled and replied, “I think you might be right.”

“I expect you will want to speak to her. I'll be in my room if you need me,” said Sarah and left the room.

Soon after, I heard the sound of horses' hooves on the driveway as Freddie cantered away, and then Lucy entered the room again. She paused, realising that she was alone with me, and she looked a little nervous.

“Sit down, Lucy, I wish to talk to you,” I said. Lucy blushed and sat gingerly on the couch.

“Mr Fanshaw seems a very gentlemanly young man,” I said. “Have you met him previously?”

Lucy visibly relaxed. I think she was worried that I was about to express my doubts about Freddie's visit.

“Last year when we visited Oxford with Mama and Papa, we attended two balls and Mr Fanshaw was present at both of them.”

“And did you dance with him then?”

More blushes. “Yes I did – on both occasions.”

“I imagine that on those occasions he was not in want of a wife?”

“Oh no! He was still at university, but he has concluded his studies now.”

“So things have changed,” I observed. “I understand that he is the only son of his parents and that they have a large property south of Oxford, so no doubt Mr Fanshaw is in possession of a good fortune?”

“I believe so,” Lucy replied. “But that is of no importance to me. I like him for who he is.”

I smiled. “That is very commendable, and I would never encourage anyone to marry only for money and not for love, but poverty is no recommendation for a happy life.”

Lucy continued blushing but said nothing, so it was up to me to continue.

“If he made you an offer, would you be inclined to accept it?”

She smiled. “Oh yes! I love him and I believe he loves me.”

I could not refrain from smiling too. I could hardly tell her that her emotions were premature when I had fallen in love with Richard the moment I first saw him. Nonetheless I felt that in my position as chaperone, it was necessary for me to express a note of caution.

“Well you must realise, Lucy, that his parents will want to know more about you before accepting you as a daughter, and your Papa will also want to meet this young man. He is the only person who can give you permission to marry.”

Lucy looked down. “You probably think I am too young to know my own mind.”

“Not at all. I was not much older than you when I married Richard, but I was quite sure he was the right man for me and I am still sure of it. What I am going to suggest is that I speak to Richard and ask that we invite Freddie, his parents and sisters to dinner so that we can spend more time with him and get to know him better. How does that sound?”

“Oh yes! That would be wonderful,” Lucy replied with a brilliant smile.

“Very well. I look forward to learning more about this young man.”

Looking back on what I have written, I realise that it makes me sound much older than I really am, but there is nothing like marriage to make one mature quickly. I am sure Lucy will discover that too.

Wednesday 27th May,
Today we received another visit from Freddie Fanshaw. This time he came with an invitation from Lady Susan Fanshaw for me, Lucy and Sarah to visit her on Friday afternoon. I was very pleased to accept the invitation, and again we entertained Freddie to afternoon tea.

After he had departed, the three of us held a consultation.

“Lady Fanshaw obviously wants to meet a possible future daughter and also learn more about the family she comes from,” I said. “We must not disappoint her.”

With that I sat Lucy and Sarah down and acted as a tutor, making sure that they knew as much as I do about the Grasmere estate – its size, the number of farms, what they grow and the animals they have. I was surprised to learn that I know more about the estate than they do. Perhaps it never occurred to them that they should be acquainted with details of the estate which keeps them in such comfort. I was quite prepared for Lady Susan to subject Lucy to a gentle inquisition, and I did not want her to be found wanting in knowledge.

Friday 29th May
This morning Lucy, Sarah and I spent much of the time in preparing for our afternoon visit to Lady Susan Fanshaw. I had informed Ronald the coachman about our visit and asked him to ensure that the coach and horses would be presented in the best possible way. He was also able to tell me that the journey to Studleigh Park would take about one hour. I said we should allow one and a half hours to make sure of being on time. I also mentioned to Sarah and Lucy a saying I had read as attributed to King Louis XVIII of France – ‘punctuality is the politeness of kings’. Lady Susan would not be impressed if we were late, and our visit would then commence under a cloud.

After a light lunch, we boarded the coach at thirty minutes past one o'clock and were soon on our way. Studleigh Park is a very large property, about 300 acres, and after passing through an impressive gateway, the driveway to the house took us about five to ten minutes to navigate. When we arrived at the front door of the mansion, which was very large, two liveried footmen assisted us to alight and ushered us into the house, through a magnificent hallway with many portraits of ancestors, obviously designed to impress visitors, and into the drawing room where Lady Susan was seated together with her two daughters, Phoebe and Eloise, both younger than Freddie. The two young women stood and curtseyed to me; Lucy and Sarah curtseyed to Lady Susan as did I since she is older than me and also a Lady, so it is appropriate to do so.

Lady Susan was very gracious, inviting Lucy and Sarah to sit on another couch, and me on an ornate armchair. The conversation started with Lady Susan personally expressing her pleasure at the ball and saying that Sir Frederick and she intend to hold one themselves in the near future and hoped that we would honour them with our presence. Naturally I accepted with pleasure on behalf of our family.

Tea was served by three maids, and during the conversation, as I had predicted, Lady Susan made enquiries about the Grasmere estate. How fortunate that I had tutored Lucy and Sarah. We all behaved with impeccable manners and I was very proud of my sisters-in-law. I felt that I should ask after Sir Frederick since he was not present, and Lady Susan's face fell a little when she said he was not feeling well and hoped we would excuse him from not greeting us.

“Please convey our best wishes to Sir Frederick. I hope he feels better soon,” I responded.

I feel that thanks to Mama, I have now mastered the art of knowing when to conclude a visit, and at the appropriate time, we made our farewells with more curtseys. The coach was drawn up at the front door, and Phoebe and Eloise bade us farewell from the porch and said they hoped to see us again soon. They are charming young women and I hope we will all become great friends, if not related in due course..

On the way home I expressed my satisfaction that the afternoon had been most successful, and nothing that any of us had said or done would deter Lady Susan from accepting Lucy as a daughter, assuming that Freddie made up his mind. I told Lucy that a letter should be dispatched to her Mama soon, alerting her to the possibility of Freddie making an offer.

“She may wish to come to Oxford herself to meet Freddie before you accept any offer from him,” I said. “I recommend that you write your letter as soon as possible.”

Lucy looked quite alarmed. “Would you mind writing for me, Leonora? I really don't know what to say and fear she might think that it is the imaginings of a foolish young girl.”

Very well,” I responded. “I will write the letter and show it to you before posting it, but you may be assured that I believe that the affection you have for each other is genuine.”

This evening I set down to write the letter and this is what I wrote:

Dear Lady Elizabeth,
I am writing to you at the request of your daughter Miss Lucy. During the ball which Mr d'Anglais and I held last week, she renewed her acquaintance with Mr Frederick Featherstonehaugh, the only son of Sir Frederick and Lady Susan of Studleigh Park, a 300 acre estate south of Oxford. She informs me that she was first introduced to Mr Featherstonehaugh at a ball which she attended when the family were in Oxford early last year. At that time she danced with him and also at the second ball you attended.

Following the most recent ball, it has become apparent to them both that their mutual attraction has further blossomed. Mr Featherstonehaugh has visited us twice, and we were also invited to take tea with Lady Susan which took place earlier today, where I am sure that both your daughters made a very good impression.

Mr Featherstonehaugh appears to me to be a very gentlemanly young man, and he already has a good fortune. If, as seems likely, he makes an offer to Miss Lucy then I see no objection to her accepting it, but as I have explained to her, the final decision is in the hands of Sir John, and any agreement can only be conditional upon his approval. It is for this reason that I am writing on Miss Lucy's behalf to acquaint you with the present situation and request your advice. We will await your reply before Miss Lucy makes anything more than a provisional response to any offer made by Mr Featherstonehaugh.

Yours sincerely,
Leonora d'Anglais

Saturday 30th May
This morning I showed Lucy the letter I had written and she was very pleased with it.

“I could never have written something so elegant,” she exclaimed. I did my best not to smile. The letter will travel by mail coach which should enable it to arrive in Grasmere in not more than three days. If Lady Elizabeth replies almost immediately, then we should receive her reply by Saturday next.

Lucy looked a little nervous. “What do you think Mama's response will be?” she asked.

“I cannot speak for Lady d'Anglais, but my feeling is that she will either decide to come to Oxford immediately to meet Mr Fanshaw, or she will wait until he makes you an offer,” I replied. “It is possible that Sir John will come too, but again I cannot say. It has occurred to me that if they come, we may have very little time to prepare to receive them, so I'd like to suggest that we ask Mrs Danvers to arrange for you to move to two other bedrooms, so that the rooms your Mama and Papa are usually accommodated in are ready for them.”

“Oh yes!” said Lucy. “We must not inconvenience them in any way.”

“Then I will speak to Mrs Danvers and arrange for your removal in the next few days. We have plenty of time at present.”

This I did, explaining the reason to Mrs Danvers and stressing that this news must be in strict confidence. She looked a little put out and said stiffly, “Everything you tell me is in the strictest confidence, madam.”

“Of course. I did not express myself very well, Mrs Danvers. I know I can rely upon you.”

“Of course, madam, and may I say I appreciate your thoughtfulness in giving me so much notice?” she said, and this time her smile had some warmth.

Wednesday 3rd June.
Today Lucy and Sarah took the coach to visit to some friends of theirs, young women who are still looking for a suitable husband. They kindly invited me to accompany them but I declined. It is strange how becoming a married woman changes one's view of life. I had no wish to indulge in girlish conversations about clothes, balls and suitable single men. As it turned out I was glad I stayed home.

After dealing with a few minor household matters, I settled myself in the drawing room with my drawing pad and box of pencils to continue work on my sketches of the Lake District, when I heard the familiar sound of a horse's hooves on the gravel driveway. I was not in the least surprised when a few minutes later a maid entered the room and said that Mr Fanshaw was at the door and begged the pleasure of an interview. Upon my agreeing to see him, he was shown into the room a few minutes later.

Freddie looked a trifle disconcerted to find that I was alone and engaged with my drawings and immediately offered to leave. My response was to say that I would very much enjoy the pleasure of his company for an hour and invited him to take tea with me. Being a polite young man, he immediately agreed. After the tea was served and a cake declined, it seemed to me that he had something troubling him and I asked if I could be of assistance.

Freddie hesitated and then asked if he might share something with me in deepest secrecy. I assured him that anything he told me in confidence would never pass my lips and he then proceeded to tell me with some hesitancy that his father was not well, and that consulting several doctors had achieved no satisfactory outcome and only a poor prognosis.

“I am greatly concerned that I may well become in charge of a large estate before I feel qualified to do so,” he said. 'My father is doing all he can to instruct me in its management and I think this is due to him feeling that his time is short.”

“I am very sorry to hear that, Mr Fanshaw,” I replied. His father is a real gentleman and I would be sorry to hear of his passing, but remembering his appearance at the ball, I cannot say I am greatly surprised at Freddie’s news..

“It is not just the land of the estate, but the management of the house since I am in want of a wife. I fear that my mother may feel obliged to continue its management, whether she will or no.”

“As for a wife, if I too may speak in confidence, Mr Fanshaw, I think that issue could be resolved with very little delay,” I said. Freddie coloured a little but said nothing, so I continued.

“It has not escaped my notice that since you renewed your acquaintance with Miss Lucy d'Anglais recently, you have made several visits to us, and we were also invited to tea with Lady Susan. All this leads me to think that perhaps you are considering making her an offer, or am I mistaken?”

“Oh no ma'am, you are not mistaken but in my present circumstances, how could I make an offer to one so young when there is a possibility that she will quickly be thrust into the position of mistress of a large house?”

I smiled. “Mr Fanshaw, I hope you do not underestimate Miss Lucy. She is an intelligent and clever girl who is merely awaiting an opportunity to spread her wings. You are probably aware that I married Mr d'Anglais quite recently, and circumstances have placed me in a similar position. I am fortunate in having a very efficient butler and housekeeper, who have many years of experience in running a large house, and I made it my business to ensure that they are aware that I have the utmost confidence in them. Naturally I expect to be notified of any unusual occurrences but for the rest, I leave them to run the household which they do very efficiently. I hope that you have similar efficient people in the Studleigh Park household?”

“Oh yes indeed, very efficient,” he replied. “Mr Tailor and Miss Burton are most efficient. So, if I did make Miss Lucy an offer, do you think her parents would be agreeable?”

“I cannot speak for them of course, but I will tell you in confidence that there is a chance that her mother, Lady Elizabeth may visit us next week, and if so, I'm sure she would like to meet you to confirm the good impression she already has of your character.”

Freddie now looked a great deal happier. “Then, with your permission, I will call to see Miss Lucy in the next few days and ascertain if she would be willing to accept an offer from me.”

“I think that is an excellent idea, Mr Fanshaw,” I replied.

Later in the afternoon when the girls returned from their visit which had obviously extend into lunch, I told Lucy of Freddie's visit, although not in detail, and also of his intention to visit again in a few days, which cheered her greatly after her downcast expression on finding out that she had missed today's visit. Naturally, in keeping with my promise to him, I said nothing of matters relating to her in our conversation.

Saturday 6th June.
There is no sign of Mr Fanshaw yet which surprises me. Lucy is looking more and more gloomy as she wanders aimlessly around the house and in the garden. I wish there was some means of easily finding out what is causing the delay in Freddie Fanshaw's appearance but short of a letter or sending a messenger to his house, both of which seem inappropriate, there is no way to find out. Perhaps one day there will be a means of rapid enquiry, but for now we must all wait. Surely he cannot have changed his mind about matrimony after seeming so sure of his feelings but a few days ago?

To be continued.

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Think

joannebarbarella's picture

The delay may be because Freddie Fanshaw's father has either taken a turn for the worse or perhaps even died.

Slowly Developing Romance

terrynaut's picture

I take it that elopement is out of the question. But I can wait. I suspect something bad happened to Freddie's father to cause the delay. We shall see.

This isn't really a typo, just a minor style issue, but I noticed that the date heading "Friday 29th May" wasn't in a bold font. No reason to bother you with a private message about it.

Thanks and kudos (number 23).

- Terry

It's Very "Pride And Prejudice"

joannebarbarella's picture

The class obsession and the monetary value of the prospective husband.

Loving every elegant minute..

Lucy Perkins's picture

This story is just wonderfully nuanced, as subtle as Jane Austen herself. I do feel that I am watching a slice of real upper class Regency life emerge, and am delighting in every moment
Poor Lucy, waiting on the news from Freddie. And she looks as if she is going to have to pick up a monstrous surname pretty soon. At least she will never need to spell it out over the phone!
By the way, I loved the name of the Butler and Housekeeper from Studleigh..Tailor and Burton indeed! Miss Elizabeth and Mr Richard, perchance?
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."