Mischief Night Magic (6)

Printer-friendly version

Mischief Night Magic
Sequel to
Cemetery Shenanigans
Part Six: A Serious Conversation

Full darkness had fallen when Gwendoline and I returned from our shopping spree. We were both tired and so Gwendoline decided to order pizza. Thankfully the local Pizza Hut was only a half mile away. An hour later, Gwendoline and I were sitting around the small wooden table in her kitchen. The smell of spiced tomato sauce, melted cheese, garlic and pepperoni teased our nose's and made our mouth's water. Gwendoline had ordered a pizza feast. Two medium pizzas, mine a pepperoni lover and hers a supreme. A large cheese bread and enough soda to float a boat.

Gwendoline said grace and we dived right  in. Outside we could hear the wind picking up. True to form, the weather had changed once again. The weather at the onset of the day reminded me of an Indian Summer. Now it seemed Winter would return as the wind was almost howling across the barren landscape. I heard the old furnace kick on and soon a pleasant warmth had settled in over the house.

“So.” Gwendoline said. “Judging from what I've seen. It seems that Heather is here to stay. So have you told your mom and dad about this?”

I blinked and blinked again.

“We need to start making plans. Like I want you to enjoy being a girl. And I want you to go to all the dances, get dolled up, find a boyfriend and just have a magical high school experience and make memories that will last a lifetime.” Gwendoline said slowly. “But high school is going to end before you know it. You'll be eighteen before you know it. And then you'll be faced with a lot of choices to make.”

“Such as?” I said finishing off my slice of pizza and reaching in for another one.

“Settling on a career, and getting some career training. Seeing how far you want to take being 'Heather' for one thing. Finding that special someone for another, and maybe settling down and starting a family. Like do you want to go to a junior college first? Or go straight to a four year university? These are questions that don't need to be answered right away. But questions we need to keep at the back of our minds.” Gwendoline said as she reached for another slice of pizza.

“Well dad wants me to drop out of school as soon as I can and get a job.” I said as I peered toward Gwendoline. “And if I finish school, he wants me to go directly into the army.”

Gwendoline nodded her head.

“What do you want to do?” Gwendoline asked me as she peered into my eyes. “It's your life. It's up to you to make something of it.” She added.

“I want to finish school. Dad never finished high school. He dropped out and started working as soon as he could. Mom finished though and got some training through the local hospital and became a nurse. Dad wants me to follow in his footsteps and start working at either Benton Brickwork or Yazoo Chemical. He says being a chemical man is a damn good living. He also says it would ruin your health, but he also says he wants to live forever in this stinking piss pot world of ours.”

Gwendoline nodded her head. And motioned for me to keep talking.

“So really according to my dad I have two choices. I can either drop out now and go to work with him at Benton Brickwork. Or I could finish and go into the army. He's really hoping another war will break with Russia.” I said, sighing. I noticed Gwendoline raised an eyebrow when I said that.

“He's hoping for another war, so I can be shipped off to fight in it. You know, shoot a few guys, kill a few guys. Get a chest full of medals and return a big 'War Hero'. Since I don't play any sports, and I can't become the famous 'Sports Hero' he always wanted. He says becoming a famous 'War Hero' like his hero John Wayne is the only way I can become a man in his eyes, other than dropping out and going to work working the six to three shift five days a week.” I said with a sigh.

“No offense.” Gwendoline said. “But your dad sounds like a real asshole.”

“He's from a different generation.” I said, sighing. “Dad used to take me hunting when I was little. But he stopped when I started crying because I saw him shoot a deer. It was a mommy deer and her two babies. They were feeding and he just shot them dead. All three of them. When I started crying he yelled at me for being a 'sissy' and said mom had spoiled me too much.”

Gwendoline shuttered a little as I'm sure her mind conjured up the mental image I was trying to paint.

“So how would he respond to finding out his son is really his daughter.” Gwendoline asked as she peered at me. She looked me dead in the eyes as she asked that question.

“Oh that's simple enough.” I said with a sigh. “He'll either kick me out of the house or kill me.”

Gwendoline nodded her head.

“First things first. After the dance I'm going to give you my number. I want you to know something though. In Benton there is a group of people that look after people like you. They provided shelter, employment and yes even career training. I can put you in contact with those people. If you ever feel threatened, Or you dad ever decides to kick you out of the house, I want you to call that number as soon as possible and I'll come find you and bring you here.” Gwendoline said as she leaned back in her chair.

“Yes ma'am.” I said, taking a deep breath.

“Second. I want you to really crack the books. I don't think you want to drop out and start working shift work down at the Benton Brickwork. And I don't see you joining the army either. So get them grades up, and next year you and I will start looking around and see what kind of classes you can take to get a head start in any career field you might like. That's another thing I want you to start doing next year, I want you to start thinking about a career.” She paused. “And no, ghost hunting is not a career.”

I giggled a little at that.

“Okay princess.” Gwendoline said. “You have a big day tomorrow. So you're going to need your beauty sleep.” She said in a teasing tone of voice as she stood up. She pushed her chair back and smiled at me as she started to collect the glass. It took her only a few moments to collect the glass and the now empty pizza boxes. I hovered around for a few extra minutes though. You know to help her wash the dishes that had been left over from lunch, to dry them and to put them away and to clean off the table.

Once the table was cleaned, and the trash was hauled out of the kitchen into the trash can and the trash can was hauled off to the edge of the driveway so it could be emptied tomorrow morning when the trash folks came around to collect it. And once a final check was made around the cottage and Gwendoline deemed everything in tip-top shape I was told to get into my nightgown, brush my teeth and crawl into bed. I did not have to ask twice. I can't tell you how food it felt to nestle into the warm covers, wearing my new fleece nightgown in that little pink room that I had come to think more of my room than the cold, bleak, room I was used to.

Yes dear readers, as I nestled under the warm blankets, I felt myself drifting all into the land of Nod. And with that my second adventure with Gwendoline comes to an end.  

up
64 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Becoming a famous 'War Hero'

". . .becoming a famous 'War Hero' like his hero John Wayne." John Wayne never served a day in the military. After a temp. 3-A deferment as a "sole wage earner" Republic Pictures got him a 2-A deferment as a movie actor. Better than "Bone Spurs", he had metal spurs.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin