Contest Resolution

Printer-friendly version

”My New Year Resolution is to the win the school beauty pageant this year!”

That came at the end of several days of not so subtle pressure on me. Not to participate in the pageant but to “man up” and be more assertive and competitive. My family is very competitive. No matter what, they always competed. Sports, academics, work … you name it. My big brother was the school quarterback, my big sister was the girls’ athletics team leader. Since they were twins and seniors they also competed to be the valedictorian. That fight was vicious.

My family’s reaction to this statement was not what I had expected, and had hoped. Well, my sister’s was. She looked disgusted and immediately declared how ridiculous the idea was that a boy could win the beauty pageant. I had not expected my parents and brother to over the moon at the idea. I mean, the idea WAS ridiculous and a bit disgusting. Unfortunately not as ridiculous at you’d think. I had read the rules and while there were a number of rules concerning age, weight and height (my sister didn’t qualify) there was nothing about having to be a girl. Then I was a rather petit boy (NOT petite, I was a boy!) despite coming from a big family. Not a large family, a BIG family. As in 6’4” to 6’8” tall and robust, highly muscled.

Also, I was cute, or pretty, according to many. I was mistaken for a girl more often than I liked. Add to that I liked to have my golden hair rather long and that I was named Penn. NOT Penelope or Pen. PENN, with a double n. My parents, Nelson and Jackie Fisher, were naval history nerds. My big brother was named Anson and my sister Beatty. Not Elisabeth or Betty, Beatty. In my opinion an unusual and cruel punishment. I was named after William Penn. Not the soppy colonizer but the ruthlessly opportunistic admiral. I did not live up to the name. I was “nice”. I had also given up trying to compete, hence the argument over Christmas.

I was short, small and skinny. That made competing in anything physical rather meaningless. I understand that I was too short to play basketball or volleyball but too short for baseball? And to be a scout? I gave up. I also gave up competing in class. No matter how hard I tried to equal my siblings at my age, I came up short, so why bother? Oh, I was intelligent enough, just not AS intelligent and competitive. I learned a lot but had stopped trying to show it since I’d fall short anyway. I had no wish to compete. I was like Ferdinand the bull, content to sit under my cork oak and smell the flowers, which actually isn’t such a bad deal when you consider the alternative.

Now my family finally had gotten what they wanted. They had made me angry and had made me commit to a competition. No matter what the competition, now they’d make sure I won. Well, with the exception of my sister, who refused to be an accomplice in my vice. Otherwise the family consensus was that I needed to really get into the skin of being a girl in order to win the pageant. Not just don a dress on the day. Body language, demeanor and all that were of equal importance. So, what I needed was full immersion. NOT what I had intended. Backing out was not an option. When a member of a highly competitive family – don’t even THINK about quitting.

The family member that did most was, surprisingly, my brother. No, he wasn’t a crossdresser but he had had several girlfriends and knew quite a lot about girls. For example where they went to get better clothes than those available at the mall. There was a small boutique where the most fashionable girls went to get their stuff. That’s where we headed off to on January second. I have to give it to the salesgirl. She hardly batted an eye when my brother told her his little brother needed a completely new wardrobe. She gave some advice but it turned out that my brother has an excellent eye for fashion and what suits a specific girl, or in my case a girly boy. As I was showing off the last, rather short, dress a gaggle of cheerleaders entered the shop. I was not prepared to be “outed” yet. Oh, I knew it was coming but I had expected to get used to the whole thing first. The head cheerleader (and, of course, my brother’s girlfriend) looked at me and squealed in delight. To make a short story shorter I ended up getting adopted as the cheerleading squad’s pet and pet project.

My father arranged things with school. I was to be allowed to present as a girl and participate in girls’ PE. But not use the girls’ locker room. As things turned out that was not such a big problem since the cheerleaders insisted that I train with them (counted as PE) and thus I was in the boys’ locker room at the same time as the football team. Counterintuitive? Remember that my big brother was the QB.

The first day of Spring semester was also the day that registration for the “Anna Tromp Memorial Beauty Pageant” opened. The pageant was considered to be the school pageant but formally it was arranged by a foundation, that also provided the generous prize. My chemistry teacher, Ms Tromp (grand-daughter), was not amused and tried to refuse me. A piece of advice: Don’t ever get into a legal argument with my DA mother. She WINS. The rules were amended afterwards but since I already was in ….

Then the new normal began. Some were angry at me for presenting as a girl. Some thought I committed a deadly sin and was headed straight for hell. Most thought it was a bit funny and then forgot about it. Some approved. Some helped me. This applied to both students and teachers. Mary, the Principal’s daughter became my new BFF. I liked that since the was shorter than I. The ONLY student in our class that was. She was also one of my competitors in the pageant. That didn’t stop her from helping me with make-up and things like that (not exactly something the either my mother or sister was proficient at, surprisingly). Mary was just as competitive as my family but had this strange idea that she’d win on her own merits and not by keeping the competition down.

The cheerleaders were great. I trained with them. It was grueling at first since I had led my body go a bit. I was seduced by their camaraderie. That the team meant all and all individual efforts was for the team. I also participated in their weekly Saturday sleepovers. Surprised? Well, they regarded me as their little sister, The sleepovers did help me getting more girly, or as I preferred to say, graceful. Then there was another aspect of the sleepovers. Study! The girls were very serious about their studies so most of the day was devoted to mutual study help. Since I was the only freshman there, they already knew the stuff I was studying – and they brooked no slackness.

Another thing I had to thank the squad for was ballet. They insisted that I take ballet with them. They even insisted that I take the same class as them despite being a beginner. I loved it so I took more, and more appropriate, classes a well. It was my ballet teacher who changed my name as well. She misheard and called me Penny. Penny, I remained in class and eventually in school. It was more or less inevitable, wasn’t it. Once more I changed with the boys, more specifically with the football team. I hadn’t known that many of them took ballet to improve their skills. Not all of them. Not my brother for an example. He had started with the rest of them but had quit later. My brother had QUIT something?! He later admitted that he was no good at ballet and when the rest of the team had advanced to a higher level but he didn’t, he couldn’t take it so he quit.

Despite that, the biggest surprise was Pippa, the one girl on the football team. She was big and muscular and, in my eyes, without doubt the most graceful in ballet class. We became good friends. We became very good friends. We became more than very good friends. Oh, people had great fun at our relationship. The big muscular Junior football player girl and the cute petite (I had stopped bothering about that) beauty pageant freshman cheerleader boy. Cheerleader boy? Yeah, I had become a formal member of the squad when one of the girls moved to another state. Since I had done surprisingly well training with the squad I had been formally included and not only as their pet. However, I wasn’t the heir but only the spare. The former replacement moved up. Yet, as a replacement I still was a member of the squad. My parents and brother were happy. Very happy. My sister less so.

Beatty even tried to sabotage me. She wasn’t very good at it and my parents came down as a metric ton of bricks on her. She later confessed that she did it because she was jealous of me. Jealous? Of me? She had desperately wanted to be a cheerleader and had signed up for cheerleader tryouts as a sophomore. Then she had got cold feet just before going out there to do her try-out routine. She was too scared. She was afraid of being an object of ridicule. The VERY BIG girl wanting to be a cheerleader. Then I had become a cheerleader, more of less sliding in on a banana peel. And even worse, the ridicule didn’t bother me. That wasn’t really true but I didn’t tell her that. It did bother me but by then there were definitely more ups than downs with the whole thing. Cheerleading, ballet, academic success and Pippa. Especially Pippa. I liked the feeling of being secure when she hugged me. I didn’t really NEED it but it sure felt good. I was good for Pippa as well. Before me she had been a rather lonesome girl. The only girl on the football team. Not one of girls, but not really one of the boys on the team either. Pippa had had a standing invitation to the cheerleading sleepovers but hadn’t felt comfortable attending. That is before I came around. Now she had not only a boyfriend but also a gaggle of friends.

Did I mention academics? I wasn’t ashamed of showing what I could do any longer, even if not as good as my siblings. Then there were the Saturday sleepovers. However, there’s nothing as helpful as a really good enemy. Yes, I had got myself a fully-fledged enemy – my chemistry teacher Ms Tromp. She really motivated me to be better at Chemistry. At the beginning of the semester my chemistry grades dived. I didn’t understand why at first but then I realized how much she hated me for degrading “her” pageant. I showed a test paper that I had got an F on to my father. He didn’t think it looked right so he had colleague of his at the university (my father is a full professor in Public Administration) look at it. It came back as a B- according to that rather exacting chemistry professor. Father had a chat with the Principal (my BFF’s father). After that Ms Tromp hated me with a vengeance but graded me meticulously. To add to her hate of me I placed 20th in a national chemistry contest for high school students. The best any of her students had ever placed and much better than either of my siblings. That was unforgivable! However, by then I had learned how to handle her. If someone named after William Penn couldn’t handle a Tromp, who could? I was wrong of course.

The end of the semester and the day of the pageant grew ever closer. The heavy betting was on me as the winner. I had really become quite the lady over the semester. I was cute, I was beautiful, I had an exquisite demeanor, almost regal, and I was popular. The only one who had odds nearly as low as mine were my BFF Mary. The rumor was that even the Principal had betted against his own daughter. Through an intermediary, of course. Otherwise, he was a bit disappointed that Mary hadn’t become my girlfriend. I was the only one that didn’t make his daughter look too short.

As we were putting the final touches before the pageant, both Mary and I had stunning dresses, Ms Tromp arrived with a notary public in tow and proceeded to measure me. It turned out that I was a quarter of an inch too short according to the rules. Had they done that in the morning I’d have been fine (you shrink slightly during the day), had they done that earlier I could have appealed but now I was out of the contest. It certainly didn’t help that the notary public just looked at Mary and noted: She’s out too. Misery doesn’t necessarily love company. Though the horrified look on Ms Tromp’s face when realizing she’d disqualified the Prinicpal’s daughter (and the schoolboard president’s goddaughter), even if only by mistake, DID help. Still I, I couldn’t escape my life’s STORY: TOO SHORT!

Then Pippa enfolded me in her strong reassuring arms and declared:
“Emergency sleepover tonight. Every cheerleader and football player, be there”.

As every single cheerleader and football player as well as many others left the auditorium it struck me. Not winning didn’t matter to me. Actually, the contest as such didn’t matter. Goals are heavily overrated. I had found and gained so much more than a plain, run of the mill victory could ever give me. What had made me and my life so much better was the Journey!

up
146 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Day Early and a Penny Short

(or rather a too short Penny).

That was my intention at least, and then the JUDGES CHEAT!

I will NOT accept that.
My story was posted BEFORE midnight local time! (and it’s still TOO SHORT!)

Oh Bru

Dee Sylvan's picture

Life's too short, but there's no reason (ok, one reason) why your story needs to be. You need to stretch your mind like Penny needed to stretch her body. Just a little bit. Just an eensy weensy tiny smidge.

Now that Penny's athletic skills and grace have improved so much, she will be shoe-in to become a renown jockey-ette. ttfn. :DD

DeeDee

This time it was on purpose

in response to a friendly dig at me in the contest announcement.
I couldn't do something the way I should, could I?

Typical Bru

Teek's picture

It was a perfect Bru response to the original announcement. I love it

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

As Ralph Waldo Emerson so aptly stated……

D. Eden's picture

“It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.”

I can tell you from personal experience that it is both, the journey and the destination.

If you never achieve your goals, you will soon lose heart with the attempt. The key is set achievable goals, yet not to set them too low. And once you have achieved your goal, you must always set the next one. Yes, life is about the journey - hence the old saying that life is what happens while you are making plans, and you should enjoy the journey - but reaching your goals is also important.

Take transition as an example - my goal was to live my life as my true self. A goal which I have achieved - but I also realize that my journey has just begun.

The key to this story is that the main character realizes that, contrary to what his family thinks, winning is not the only thing that is important. Yes, he was disqualified by a vindictive bitch, but he gained a group of good friends, he gained someone who cares about him - and in so doing he made that person’s life better, he gained respect, he gained a better understanding of himself, and he became a better person.

I would say that those are pretty good goals for anyone.

A wonderful story that really, really needs to be expanded upon. Thank you for sharing it with me.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Goals can be non-defined or fuzzy

Many of the best things in my life has've come as a result of my inner drive "to do something" and then "do it better" without quantifying. For example the degrees I've accumulated (two masters (soon three) and two unrelated bachelors) have come as result of that instead of being goals (other than the first one). Other occupations have not lead to any concrete, tangible results but have still been more than worthwhile for me.

This is true……

D. Eden's picture

A goal can be as simple as something like improving yourself, and you work toward that.

But it has been my experience, especially when working with others, that you need to set definite and achievable goals. If you give people a goal they can never achieve, or that is unrealistic, they become disheartened.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Well…

Robertlouis's picture

It did say in the preamble that it was a Short Story…

☠️

Well (again)

Robertlouis's picture

…the miniature said that I knew you were absolutely right.

☠️

giggle-snerks

too short? or just right?

DogSig.png

Wonderful is short

(saying in my native language)

Satire of Course

BarbieLee's picture

The young lady who didn't win the beauty pageant because of a "fowl" rule? The same lady who steals government top military secrets, political secrets through her beauty, charm, and ummm..., other assets?
Mary Lou sent me some pictures last week. A golden colored cocktail dress at the Finland Arms Summit? I would have froze my..., and everything else off. The black satin jump suit you wore the next day looked as sexy as hell. I guess you had all the secrets to be spilled already?
Hugs Bru, cute story and the only subtle twist was the heroine didn't win her beauty contest.
Barb
A new year? Nay, time plodding on. Treasured memories once lived. Family, friends waiting. The love of my life there. She will be wrapped in my arms. Lips and kisses not felt for years. Never to leave me ever again. A fractured heart and soul whole once more.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I confess

I have never been kicked out of a beauty contest even if I'm below average height (for women).

The part about the chemistry competition is true even if it refers to my senior year. However, my chemistry teacher was an excellent teacher. Very high energy.

Okay

Daphne Xu's picture

I definitely didn't see that coming. Poor Penny and poor Mary.

-- Daphne Xu

Poor Mary

As noted Penny wasn't that devastated. Mary on the other hand ...
I'm ashamed that I didn't think more about her feelings.

Sheesh

I can't even manage to have the best non-contest resolution story. That was a fun read.

Not the normal bru twist.

Too short for a beauty pageant. The question is whether faux girl chooses to remain that way.

A very cute, very petite story

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

Very cute, very petite story! I could almost see the measuring tape at the side of the page as I got near the end. Oh, Mrs Tromp! Oh, humanity!

hugs and several out-loud laughs and chuckles,

- iolanthe

What a charming story

Jamie Lee's picture

What a bummer!! Penn pours himself in getting ready for the pageant, learning to be the best girl he can be, and there's a height requirement. But wouldn't that have been known at the time he registered?

Competition can be over-rated. It can get to the point where it becomes the sole desire for the individual. True, it can cause a person to try and do better than they've done. But it can become the person's 'drug addiction.'

What Penn gained through the experience is far more valuable than any pageant. He gained friends, a girlfriend, and respect for having the courage to do all he did in order to be ready for the pageant.

When Penn's Chem paper was found to have been purposefully miss graded by Ms. Tromp, she should have been given a few days to think about what she did and decide if she wanted to keep teaching. And, it's not HER pageant.

Others have feelings too.

Neglected

The requirement was there but Penn never considered it. Sure, he was a short BOY but too short even as a girl? Perhaps denial?

Besides it was only by the smallest of margins that he didn't measure up. As he said, had they measured him in the morning.

Mary on the other hand ...

Ms Tromp can be forgiven to consider the pageant her contest. It was in the memory of her grandmother and I believe she was the foundation's chairperson.

That Ms. Tromp

joannebarbarella's picture

Is one of those out-and-out bitches, but this time she was hoist on her own petard, and I hope it exploded in her face.

That's the way it looks

Seriously annoying the Principal and the head of the school board, and that on top of her misgrading Penn .... Things look bad for Ms Tromp.
And then half the auditorium walks out the night of the pageant. It definitely was a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day!

Exploding petards?

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Zounds, Joanne! Who would invent such a thing!

Emma