Final Act

Printer-friendly version

The Producer sighed as he looked at the cast. He just as well should send them home from the theatre. What a situation! It could have been a producer’s dream: The leading lady stabbed at dress rehearsal. What could be better publicity for a detective play? The only problem was that the leading lady had been taken to hospital and wasn’t expected to recover for months while her understudy had been taken by the police.

As he told the cast to go home and wait for new instructions the Producer noticed the prompter. The prompter was a short man of slight build despite spending lots of time at the gym. The amazing thing about him was that he knew the entire play by hart, stage notes and all. The producer remembered that the prompter had tried out for a couple of roles a long time ago. He was an amazing actor; nice baritone, always knew the lines perfectly, great diction and delivery. Everything was perfect, as long as you kept your eyes shut. When you saw him there was something completely off with his body language. Too bad the heydays of radio drama had passed.

But now looking at the prompter the Producer got an idea. He realized that the body language problem was because it was giving off feminine vibes. Take away the goatee, put a wig on the crew cut head and cover up the slightly oversized muscles and there he had his new leading lady! Maybe he could even milk this angle for publicity? Well, that didn’t matter right now. He called the prompter back to his office.

Producer: “John, I want you to play the female lead! I think you would be perfect for it if we shave off your beard and with the right make-up and wig and some voice coaching. This is your great chance to be on stage!

John the Prompter: Sorry, Paul. That would be contrary to all I believe in.

Paul: What’s the problem? Religion?

John: Oh, not at all. The church I go to have no problem with transgendered people. As a matter of fact I’m transgendered and that’s …

Paul: Hey, this is great! I was going to tell you that you definitely give off feminine vibes. This could be your opportunity to try living as a female. You know, telling people that the role requires total immersion and all that.

John: No Paul, you don’t understand…

Paul: I know that taking the step is a huge risk but today it’s more and more and accepted and it’s not something to be ashamed of. Speaking frankly the way you have been overcompensating your masculinity; the beard, crew cut, leather jackets, going to the gym all the time, it's a bit ridiculous. The more I look at you the more I see the woman.

John: You have no idea how much you hurt me, Paul. I had better leave now.

Paul: Why? I really want to help you!

John: I know you mean well. I AM transgendered. Female to male. Transition completed. Supposedly

up
313 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Brilliant!

Tanya Allan's picture

Love it, I'm amazed no one had ever thought about it before.
Well done

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

I beg to differ. From what I

Daphne Xu's picture

I beg to differ. From what I heard, Shakespeare had at least a girl posing as a boy, to perform as a girl in a play. I don't know if he took it a step further. In any case, that's not completely original.

I wish the producer had pointed out that cross-casting is a tradition in the Theater. And I wish that the prompter took a view toward saving the production.

-- Daphne Xu

Love hurts.

Rhona McCloud's picture

Such a poignant illumination that it is not the being taken for the opposite gender that hurts but the producer's well intentioned but grossly misdirected attempt to be supportive.

Rhona McCloud

Over excited

Jamie Lee's picture

It would have been beer to have asked first and then accept the answer.

The producer was a bit too excited about replacing the leading lady.

Others have feelings too.

Ouch!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Just Ouch!

& Good story!

>i< ..:::

Painful

Justine du Monde's picture

That just hurt so much. Sadly, it's hard if not impossible to totally "pass" in the world, and when someone points you out it hurts like a knife. A well-written story, however.

Fashion Beast

My blog

Maybe it shouldn't hurt so much

Point at anyone behind their back and say to the people around: "See, he/she is transgendered and have been born into the other sex." Almost everyone will say: "Really? Can't believe it, he/she looks so naturally... But, once you said it, I can clearly see the imprint of the other sex. In fact, I can't understand how is that I didn't noticed it before! It is so obvious!..."

People far too easily see what they are told, even if it has nothing to do with the reality.

Well . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

It’s one of the few times I saw the twist coming, Bru. The poor guy now realizes that he’ll never be on stage, and why. Idiot director!

Emma

At least he wasn't evil

He had good intentions.
The road to hell ...
My stories more often than not end on a positive note. However, sometimes they are a bit sad.