Changes~11

Printer-friendly version
‘There was a gentle knock on the door.
‘Please leave me alone.’
‘Samantha, it’s me–Jo. Please let me come in.’


Changes
Chapter 11
By Susan Brown

 
 
Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy
Sunshine in my eyes can make me cry
Sunshine on the water looks so lovely
Sunshine almost always makes me high
Sunshine almost all the time makes me high
Sunshine almost always…
John Denver

Previously…

‘Nigel, I have no intention of coming back..’

‘What the fu–’

‘You’ve had your say, so listen to me. Did your precious daughter tell you why I left? She was having sex in my house on one of my beds, not with me, but with another man. The only reason I worked for you was because it made Olivia happy for me to have what she termed a proper job. She busted up this marriage, not me. I resign with immediate effect and you can tell your daughter that I am commencing divorce proceedings citing her adultery as the cause. Oh, and by the way, I have an excellent photograph of her having sex with her lover on my ’phone so if you want publicity, tell her to contest–goodbye.’

I threw the ’phone out of the open window and fell on the bed, sobbing.

It had been a strange day–and yet somehow liberating.

And now the story continues…

There was a gentle knock on the door.

‘Please leave me alone.’

‘Samantha, it’s me–Jo. Please let me come in.’

I would never be able to forget how kind she and her family had been to me, so I took a deep breath, wiped my eyes with a tissue, had a look at the horror in the mirror and then, with a sigh, opened the door.

Jocasta was standing there looking concerned.

‘Oh Lord, what’s happened?’

I promptly burst into tears again as I sat down on the bed. I couldn’t believe how emotional I had been lately. I seemed to cry very easily.

Jocasta put her arm around me.

‘Want to talk about it?’

‘You…you, must be f—f—fed up with me. I’ve b—brought nothing but tr—trouble.’

‘Nonsense, my dear, you aren’t any trouble and anyway, I like to help. Now, tell Auntie Jo all about it…’

I told her about the phone call from Olivia’s father.

‘You’re kidding me?’

‘Do I look like I’m kidding?’

‘No–No, you don’t. Now listen, Samantha, you need a good talking too, so pin back your ears or what Jen, rather crudely, calls your lug ’oles and listen. I’m not normally judgemental and I know that I have only heard your side of things, and you may well have been a pain to live with but I know that it takes two to make an argument. But and this is a big but, I cannot see any reason for you to reproach yourself over this. Olivia knew the score about you when you married, and ever since, you have gone along with her wishes–to keep a happy marriage. Then she goes and does something totally disgusting to you and she’s angry. Then her father, who appears to be a nasty piece of work, immediately takes her side and treats you like dirt. If I were you, I would get out of that marriage as soon as you can and as this is coming from a vicar’s wife, I don’t say that lightly.’

‘It must be partly my fault; I didn’t live up to her expectations. I obviously wasn’t man enough for her…’

‘Enough of that rubbish. Let me make this clear and I’m sorry if I’m being forward in this. You–are–not–to–blame. The victim often thinks that it’s their fault. You’ve been kind and loving and have gone the extra mile to make things work in your marriage. Not everyone is aggressive and forward. You are sweet and sensitive and your femininity shines through. Olivia is what gives us women a bad name sometimes; demanding, manipulative and downright nasty. Judging by what you have said of her father, I can see where she gets it from. What’s her mother like?’

‘She died shortly after Olivia was born.’

‘So, her entire life’s been influenced by her nasty, vindicate, spiteful father. I don’t know if I pity her, but not knowing her, I can’t give an opinion. Anyway, Samantha, don’t feel responsible for this because it’s you who’s the victim in this and not her.’

I don’t know…’

‘Well I do. Look, it doesn’t do you any good to beat yourself up over this. You have to move on otherwise it will take you over and consume you. Do you want that?’

I shook my head.

‘Right, dear, dry your eyes and we’ll go out for a walk. I find that the sea air here has mysterious restorative qualities. On top of that I rather fancy a G&T with a nice view.’

‘What about your mothers’ meeting?’ I sniffed.

‘It was a young wives’ meeting, dear, and was only a quick natter about the next bring and buy sale.’

‘Oh.’

‘Right, you’ve got ten minutes and then we’re going down the village for a drink. You’ll like our local.’

‘What, the Crab and Lobster?’

‘God no, that’s full of ancient locals around the age of ninety and even I can’t understand a word of what they’re talking about sometimes. Do you know that they still scatter sawdust on the floor? No, we’ll go to the Toad and Tart, it’s–’

‘The what?’

She laughed, ‘don’t ask; no one knows where the name came from; I think one of the previous landlords, back in the mists of time, had a strange sense of humour!’

She left me to tidy myself up. Gazing at my red eyes in the bathroom mirror, reminded me how upset I had been over the conversation with Nigel. I wiped off my rather smeary makeup, then washed my face, splashing water in my eyes to help get rid of the puffiness. After drying myself with a fluffy towel, I quickly reapplied my makeup.

Fifteen minutes later, looking almost human, I was downstairs again and, in no time at all, Jocasta and I were heading down to the village. The way things were going, I would get healthy rather quickly with all this walking!

‘Right,’ said Jocasta as we set off, ‘Pack up your troubles for a little while and let’s just enjoy ourselves.’

‘Okay.’ I replied smiling somewhat doubtfully.

Once again as we followed the steepish lane leading down to the village. We were accosted by several people who wanted to chat and I could see how the village gossip spread like wildfire.

Eventually we arrived on the quay and turned right. Not having been in this direction before, I took in the scene with interest. There were a few gift shops, a restaurant called the Lobster Pot, a fish and chip shop that should have been banned because the smell wafting out of it was mouth-watering in the extreme. I promised myself that I would have some cod and chips complete with salt and vinegar as soon as I had settled in. You can’t beat fish and chips out of newspaper, sitting somewhere with pleasant view and this place had more than most.

I had cheered up considerably, as you can probably tell. Then I stopped.

‘What?’ said Jocasta as she was in the middle of trying to persuade me against cod in favour of haddock for environmental reasons.

‘My phone.’

‘What about it?’

‘Erm, I chucked it out of the bedroom window after my little chat with my delightful father-in-law.’

‘Oh, right.’

‘Millie might be trying to contact me about the cottage.’

‘Don’t worry, if she can’t get you, she’ll ring me.’

‘That’s good.’

‘We had better look for your phone when we get back; it’s probably on the lawn somewhere.’

‘Okay.’ I said as we turned a corner and climbed some stone steps that led to yet another narrow lane. I was out of puff again but Jocasta seemed unaffected. After passing several small cottages with front doors leading directly off the street, we turned another corner.

I stopped, as there in front of us was a pub–the Toad and Tart. I had thought that Jocasta was joking but there it was as large as life.

It looked rather old, the bricks were worn in places and the building had a slightly tilted look to it. The church had a steeple that was leaning slightly and so did this. It looked like the area suffered from a degree of subsidence and I suppose being at the edge of the sea didn’t help much. It wasn’t very large as pubs go, but was on two levels. We walked through the very low doorway, built for when the patrons were a lot smaller. Immediately in front of us was a bar, with several people nursing drinks and talking. The man behind the bar, who I took to be the landlord, looked up from drying glasses and smiled. It went quiet as everyone turned to stare at us. But only for a second as we got a series of hellos. Everyone seemed to know Jocasta and apparently any friend of hers was a friend of theirs.

‘I hope we’ll see you all in church on Sunday?’

There was something of a pregnant pause after which everyone seemed to be inspecting their drinks rather closely.

Jocasta and I looked at each other and giggled as we moved past the drinkers and went up a flight of wooden stairs.

At the top was another, smaller, bar and a terrace. There were fewer people here but I paid little attention until I was led out on the terrace–where there was a superb view of the whole cove. The beach was in front us, with clean golden sand that glinted almost white in the sun. To the left was the quay with large crowds doing the holidaymaker thing. The harbour had a plethora of boats, large and small, rising and falling to the gentle swell. Further away, the other beach looked rather more crowded than earlier. It was a picture postcard scene and I rather wished I had brought my sketchbook with me.

I sat at one of the tables and surveyed the scene while Jocasta fetched our drinks.

The ever-present seagulls were making their cacophonous presence felt around the harbour as a fishing boat came in, it’s diesel motor chugging as it approached the quay. The birds were obviously in the right place at the right time as things were being thrown off the boat and into the harbour. Being a bit squeamish, I didn’t really want to know what those things were.

Soon, Jocasta returned with our drinks and a packet of cheese and onion crisps each.

‘Drink that,’ she ordered.

‘Yes, Miss.’

I sipped the ice cold gin and tonic and I’m glad to say it hit the right spot almost immediately.

‘Mmm.’ I said appreciatively.

‘So, what d’you think of the Toad and Tart?’

‘Gorgeous, but I can’t get over the name.’

‘You get used to it.’ she replied laughing.

‘It is lovely here.’

‘Yes, as far as we know, there’s been a pub on this site since the thirteenth century. We think this one was built sometime in the seventeenth century. Evidently it was a smugglers inn at one time; there’s a passage that leads down to the rocks on the other side of the cove. Rumour has it that the excise men never managed to catch anyone smuggling tea, brandy, gin, rum and tobacco, mainly because the local squire, who just happened to be an ancestor of Lady Fairbairn was in on it. There are caves and tunnels everywhere leading to some of the old cottages. They must have been wild times then.’

‘It sounds like it. What’s it like here in the winter?’

‘It’s beautiful in a different way. Oh, we get our fair share of storms, bringing in extra high tides and ships in distress, but apart than that, the cove is comparatively sheltered so we manage to avoid the worst of it.’

We sat there for another hour, watching people playing, bathing or just sleeping on the beach. It was restful and helped me relax. Mind you the three G&T’s probably helped!

Eventually and reluctantly we finally left and made our, slightly tiddley, way back to the vicarage. It seemed to be getting easier going up that hill, maybe I was getting stronger? We arrived back just before four o’clock. The girls were due back from school, but they wouldn’t be stopping as they had to go to the stables to exercise their ponies.

David was in his study writing his next sermon and Jocasta had to do something about the parish magazine, so I went out to the garden to search for my phone. All three dogs came out and helped–or was that hindered–me?

Eventually I found it and was impressed by how far I had thrown it. Picking it up, I was surprised to discover it was still working and that I had a message.

I pressed the button, dreading that it might be from Olivia or Nigel, but it was from Millie.

Pls ring me
Millie

‘A girl of few words.’ I thought. I rang her back using the card she had given me.

‘Hi Millie? It’s Samantha.’

‘Hi, thanks for getting back. I couldn’t get you on your mobile and Jo’s wasn’t answering. We have funny reception in this area. Anyway, I’ve spoken to old Mr Mogg–God, he’s hard work–deaf as a post and more interested in staring down my cleavage than talking about his cottage. Anyway, I finally got his attention and he said that it was alright to look at his place. I have the keys, so do you fancy meeting me there?’

‘Yes, that’ll be fine, but how do I get there?’

‘Go down the hill from the Vicarage, take the first left and then second right; it’s about a hundred yards from the junction. I’ll meet you there in twenty minutes, okay?’

‘Fine, I’ll see you there.’

Jocasta had gone down to the shops and David was still sorting out his sermon, so I went to have a look at Mr Mogg’s cottage on my own. As I made my way down the hill, I wondered what the cottage would be like and if it would be the answer to my dreams?



To Be Continued...

Angel

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

There is a Toad and Tart and it's not in Devon but in St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.

http://www.toadandtart.com/

up
422 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mmmm! Fish and chips!

....Samantha obviously understands all about the good things in life!....Mind you if she wanted to try the best fish and chips then she would have to travel a few hundred miles north to Yorkshire and try the Magpie Cafe in Whitby voted by Rick Stein (top chef)as the best f&c anywhere.

Jocasta is proving to be exactly the sort of friend Samantha needed, The advice she gave Samantha was spot on, She might be a vicars wife but she lives in the real world and what she said about Nigel and his daughter was so true!

Hugs Kirri

Yuck! Fish and Chips!

terrynaut's picture

I'm not fond of fish and chips but I'm not British so I'm sure it doesn't matter. heh

This was a nice, relaxed chapter. I love the descriptions, especially the ones in and around the Toad and Tart pub. The pic of the sign is priceless.

I hope we get to see Samantha starting her art soon. I'm anxious to read more about her drawing and painting. I'm a bit of an aspiring artist myself. :)

The writing continues to impress me. Thanks and please keep it up.

- Terry

Ye Know Not...

If I had only had so-called "fish and chips" in America, I'd have a lot more sympathy for your position on the subject. Horrible stuff!

Warning to Britons: Do NOT order the fish & chips in the U.S. It's only going to be the deepest disappointment. From the soggy, often reheated, and overly-thick crust, to the 3-day-old (or more!) fish (often purchased frozen, sometimes pre-breaded), to the saturated, odd-tasting chips ("french fries") which are often fried in somewhat rancid vegetable oil from pre-sliced frozen potatoes, sometimes "pre-seasoned".

Enticement to Americans: When in England, search out the local "chippie", preferably some well-used and unimpressive little shop with a long line out the door. Learn the joys of pure, simple, fresh potatoes deep-fried at the correct temperature in highly-refined beef tallow. Learn what fresh fish tastes like, and how wonderful fresh batter-frying can be. You may have had things called "fish and chips", but you've never had it like this.

Agreed

Having had both, I agree with Pippa. I occasionally get fish-n-fries (the American name) and I've always been disappointed.

But should you get to Europe, watch out for the street-side vendors in Antwerp. At least when I was there many of them used horse fat instead of beef fat to fry in. It has a very distinctive odor. :-(


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Comparing apples and rocks

Brit Fish and Chips _VS_ USA Fish and Chips, not the same food group. Back in the 5th grade there was a chippie next to the bus stop I'd catch home from school, I think it was in Camden town. I remember buying chips and carrying them on to the bus to ride home and all the stomachs growling, or maybe it was just the passengers growling AT me? Mmmmmmmmmmmm
-Christine

>> Do NOT order the fish & chips in the U.S.

Puddintane's picture

Depends on where you are and where you look. There are places in the USA (right where you'd expect them, usually) where one can find dreck* served, even in the pricier establishments, and others where one can find local establishments serving a prized local cuisine where the food is impeccable.

I used to live in Newport Beach, California, and there's a tiny little restaurant there, the Crab Cooker, which specialises in crab and fish. Their "fish and chips" was identified by several real fish names**, fresh, fired just then, and excellent; well-worth standing in a queue for. It's superb, and often has a very long queue. It's a "locals only" sort of place, and they once had a visit from then President Richard Nixon (the "Western Whitehouse" in San Clemente was just down the road a bit) with his Secret Service Agent entourage with machine guns and assault rifles surrounding him. They wanted to "cut in line," considering as how the President of the USA had precedence over mere peons, in their opinion, and the people in line wouldn't let them, and the owners of the Crab Cooker backed them up, refusing service to *anyone* who cut in line ahead of the rest.

http://crabcooker.com/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_23_33/ai_5485...

Despite the fawning adulation of celebrities in some quarters — and these sorts of toadies exist everywhere in the world — there are large parts of the USA exactly as "sturdy" and unimpressed by titles and grand airs as you'll find in any British pub or chippy.

You'll also find pockets of culture where the available cuisine is so varied that when one expresses a desire for "Chinese," people raise an eyebrow, waiting for one to specify whether that vague yearing has solidified into anything concrete, Hokkien, Szechuan, Hunan, Beijing, Shanghai, or any of several dozens more. The same for "Mexican," which is diced in my own area into hundreds of regional variations, extending throughout Central and South America, and including US "Mexican" styles.

Cheers,

Puddin'
-----------
* I don't recommend Long John Silver's, for example.

http://www.epinions.com/review/rest-Chain_Restaurants-All-Lo...

** one had a choice.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Crab Cooker

erin's picture

Lots of good restaurants in that little patch of jumbled streets in Newport. I used to live in Costa Mesa, just a five minute drive away from the Crab Cooker. Fish and crab are not even their signature dishes, the thing they are considered to be the very best at, that would be clam chowder. Oh, the Nixon thing, the way I heard it; Tricky Dick himself had gone to the end of the line to wait while his security chief argued with the restaurant and got booed by people in line. Nixon WAS a local of sorts, and knew the rules. That line is a good place to catch sight of celebrities waiting their turn.

Best fish and chips (and we do call it that here) I've ever had was in an Irish Pub in downtown San Diego, second best in another Irish Pub in Anaheim, about a mile from Disneyland. Expensive in both places, the Crab Cooker is cheaper.

The reason fish and chips are so bad most places in America is that most of the US is more than 100 miles away from any ocean. I think I read somewhere that no part of Britain is more than 70 miles from salt water. If it's difficult to get fresh fish, a place does not develop a tradition for cooking it.

I've also talked to people who've had some really awful food in chippie shops in England, bad is where you find it. :)

Hugs,
Joyce

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Excellent Fish, Lobster and Clams

If you ever get to Portland, Maine then try Captain Newicks at the Portland Lighthouse. The food is fantastic and the fish is delivered straight from the ship to them. Maine's primary export is Fish other than Stephen King novels. If you ever get to Bangor, Maine do not forget to check his house out because it is incredible. For directions just anyone that lives there because they know where he lives. I even got picture taken with him as he was walking down the street reading Time Magazine.

Hugs,

Jenna From FL

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

>> clam chowder...

Puddintane's picture

Now you're talking. I used to adore the chowder at Stagnaro Brothers down on the Santa Cruz pier, which they called with great imagination, "White" or "Red." Several times, I've driven seventy-odd miles to and from for a bucket of white and a walk on the pier.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Clam Chowder

Now there is something has so many combinations from the type of Clams used because they are different everywhere. There is saltwater and freshwater clams. Then there is variations just on the cream from using condensed to buttermilk and some to including cornstarch or bisquick. Last but not least the various kinds of potatoes which could be russet, new potatoes, red potatoes and I have even seen a sweet potato version (do not ask me why they did it but they did).

Hugs,

Jenna From FL

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

clams

A matter of fact I am going to Jacksonville in October for Birthday just get some Fried Clams with Bellies and to see Robin Williams in Concert.

Hugs,

Jenna From FL

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

My Advice Stands

My advice directed to British tourists in the U.S. not to order the fish and chips, is totally warranted.

The U.S. has some marvelous seafood. As mentioned, it's usually around active seaports and seaside towns. Different regions seem to have different local specialties. By all means, if you're in the Northeast, order a steamed lobster, chosen live fresh from the tank and sent off back to the kitchen. Some towns in the South make catfish into pure magic. OTOH, if you order catfish in the Northeast, you'll most likely be eating frozen Vietnamese basa filets. If you order lobster in the South, you'll most likely be eating frozen rock lobster tails. It's just not the same thing. Fresh salmon and trout everywhere is pretty nice. Frozen, not so much, especially when it's portion-packed and preseasoned for restaurants.

Maryland is rightly famous for their local blueclaw crabs, and the marvelous crabcakes derived therefrom. Oysters are farmed in many places, and each coastal region has their own locally-named harvests.

Many varieties of finfish are caught and delivered to local restaurants fresh. Some regional specialties are harvested live and shipped nationally. I can buy live snow crabs, king crabs (HUGE ugly monsters!), and dungeness crabs here in New York, because there's a local market (mostly Chinese), willing to pay for them to be shipped thousands of miles by air.

But we were talking about "fish and chips." And Britons. And certain expected standards. The equipment used in English chip shops, and the demand to use it continuously, just doesn't exist here in the US. Nor does the pressure to conform to doing it exactly the way it's done in England. And the frying fat isn't the same. And, I've had batter-dipped fish sort of similar to English fried fish, but it's never the same. Britons are advised to try our American-style seafood and wait 'til you get home to satisfy your hunger for Fish and Chips.

They should also be warned that fish is not a universally-consumed commodity in the U.S., that most restaurants showing it on a menu don't actually specialize in it, and it's not likely to always be the best thing on the menu in those establishments. However, if you seek out an actual seafood restaurant, where it IS the specialty, you're much more likely to be happy. Or, if you're in an ethnic restaurant, where that cuisine has a few famous seafood dishes, those are usually marvelous. Fried squid in an Italian restaurant. Jalea in a Peruvian restaurant. Seviche. Almost anything swimming in the tanks in a Hong Kong -style seafood restaurant. Redfish in a Lebanese restaurant on a Friday. Sushi/Sashimi, but try to limit yourself to business-district establishments where there are actual Japanese proprietors and customers.

The closest thing I've had to English-style fish and chips in the US was at an Australian restaurant in Brooklyn, but they ruined it the second time I ordered it by using smelly, unfresh fish. There are a couple of Irish upscale bar/restaurants in New York City which make a fair attempt at it. Certainly better than most, but never as good as what comes out of an English chip shop. There's even an English-run restaurant in Brooklyn called "The Chip Shop," but it's more of a name than a place to eat -- it's unfortunately not very good. Not enough throughput to keep things fresh enough. The consistently best fried fish in the U.S., is catfish in New Orleans. The best fried cod anywhere is at a tiny restaurant in Reykjavik, called the Svarta Panan, although the curry seasoning underneath the batter is a bit of a surprise. But, they haven't got chips. Not a local crop and too expensive to ship in.

Travel Global. Eat Local. (P.S., Americans: don't look for non-McD hamburgers in England. You won't be happy.)

eat regional seafood

In the south you can easily get Live maine Lobster because it is transported overnight by a few shipping companies. I do admit it is not the same because the salt water content tends to breakdown. Also restaurants in the south US do not generally know that it is best cooked in the salt water from Maine which really preserves the flavor of the Lobster. Fried Clams with bellies is another New England seafood favorite but is sered rarely in the south due to must people cringe at eating the bellies which is actually the best part. If they are not fried right then the whole taste of them is ruined. There is about five restaurants in Florida that I know that can cook them right: two in Jacksonville, one in Jensen Beach, Hollywood, two in tampa/st. petersburg area.

Hugs,

Jenna From FL

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Rock Lobster Tails

Puddintane's picture

Rock lobsters, or spiny lobsters, are only distantly related to true lobsters, and look much more like bugs. The reason the serve only the tails is that they don't have much of a claw at all.

Clawed-Lobster.jpg

American Clawed Lobster

Spiny-Lobster-california.gif

California Spiny (Rock) Lobster

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Chippies

We even have a professional association (Federation of Fish Friers) and an annual set of national awards:
http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/fish---chip-sh...

Oh, and apparently next year marks the 150th anniversary of the dish, if you believe the FFF's marketing division :)

Finding them cooked in beef tallow will be a bit difficult nowadays - almost everyone uses vegetable oil nowadays. And they're wrapped in plain paper - despite the fact I doubt nobody ever fell ill from eating chips wrapped in newspaper, they're not allowed to do so nowadays. Sigh.

However, there are a few places which still fry using beef tallow - the Black Country Living Museum being one example (as part of a reconstructed Victorian-era village).
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Re: The pic of the sign

I agree with you, Terry: that sign is great! I believe it is the sign for a now-closed English pub which was located in the US Virgin Islands.

Jenny

There's A Song By Linda

Rondstat called The Blue Bayou that fits this quaint little town very well. And of course, it is like that fictional town of Amity, where JAWS takes place. But this is much better than that horror movie. I can see Samantha finding peace and love here while her ex family goes belly up. Oh yeah! that pub gives me a story idea, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I keep thinking

kristina l s's picture

Doc Martin, an English TV show shot in Cornwall I think. Not sure how widely that's shown outside the UK but we get it here.

Oh that song is by Roy Orbison, but Linda does a nice version.

Kristina

Blue Bayou

For what it's worth, Roy's co-writer on that song doesn't get enough public credit and respect, although he was inducted into the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. Here's the list of songs that Joe Melson wrote over the years, either by himself or with various co-writers.

http://joemelson.com/music/discography/

Blue Bayou

Everytime I hear the Linda R version of that song, I picture a tiny cabin on stilts sitting in the Bayou some where in the deep south. I can picture a full moon rising, Fire Flies, a warm evening and a couple sharing a cozy evening on the porch of that cabin. Are there biting bugs in the Bayous of the south? Well, maybe it would have to be a screened porch. There are frogs and toads and crickets making lots of noise, but the 'gators behave themselves. I have always been afraid to try to write a story about this because I feared that I could not do it justice.

Gwen

Fish and Chips and the Toad and Tart

I absolutely love fish and chips, especially with malt vinegar and salt! I'm sure we do not have anything to compare with yours here in America, and I'd love the opportunity to try the real thing one day. And thank you for the Toad and Tart! I love how you weave in real places in Jolly Ole' England into your stories. If I can't visit, at least I get to know a little bit about the Island Nation that I did not know before.

The story is lovely and I find that I have come to depend on these short chapters every few days. Thank you.

SuZie

SuZie

Changes Re: Fish & Chips

littlerocksilver's picture

Being an American of British descent I can say without a doubt that Americans don't have a clue about Fish & Chips. They are a horrible, mass prodiced abomination. I had some great Fish & Chips in York a few years ago. They were from a little upstairs restaurant with a woman's name (Martha's?). The fish was fresh, the batter light and tasty, and the fries, er, chips were perfect. I can't wait to go back. :) Portia

Portia

In search of a decent chippy.

My English house guest and I went searching for a decent Chippy and some eye of the dog, but we failed to find something that met her approval in Portland. After her departure, I did find a "Non chain" place that served wonderful Halibut and deep fried slab potatoes. OOOh yummy. Since she had already returned to the UK, I have no idea if they would have met her approval, but my opinion was very favorable.

Gwen

I Grew Up

joannebarbarella's picture

In Brighton and Hove (actually) and fish and chips was staple fare when I was a kid. They were not rationed so we ate them at least twice a week. I can remember two-pennorth of chips in grease-proof paper with vinegar and salt as our little-kid snack of choice and being sent by my parents to the chippie down the road for "cod'n'chips" for all of us, which naturally was wrapped in newspaper (over the grease-proof).
How the hell did we ever decide that that was unhealthy? Although I was small I cannot remember anyone getting sick from eating them like that.
I still love fish'n'chips as an occasional meal and I'm lucky enough to live in Singapore and/or Brisbane where they are prepared with loving care from fresh fish and spuds fried in front of your eyes.
I can smell 'em now,
Yum,
Joanne

Toad and Tart

Toad and Tart = Princess and the Frog? My thought on where the name came from. Next we can debate which came first...

Huggles,

Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

The sign shows...

Puddintane's picture

...a toad eating a small triangular baked pastry tart, so they've provided cover for the pun. It's in St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, so of course, "Honi soit qui mal y pense."

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

The blosoming of Samantha

Excellent story Sue, I can see that with Jocasta's guideing hand she will discover who she really is.

Her life & character up to a few days ago was repressed by Oliva's father and Olivia herself.

You have been a painter showing us the real colours of Samantha!

LoL

Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Disagree

> If I had only had so-called "fish and chips" in America, I'd have a lot more sympathy for your position on the subject. Horrible stuff!

> Warning to Britons: Do NOT order the fish & chips in the U.S. It's only going to be the deepest disappointment.

There are places in the U.S. where one can find ~good~ fish and chips.
As someone else mentioned, they're usually in seafaring communities, but not always.

When I lived in the Antelope Valley (Calif), the was (still is, but I understand that ownership has changed) a place call The York Shore House. Chris wasn't British, but he'd spent several years in the UK., and he was determined to offer AUTHENTIC fish and chips - he'd spend every other morning down on the coast buying fresh cod or haddock. He introduced me to malt vinegar (instead of lemon juice).

When I was living or working in southern Calif., I found a close second in the H. Salt chain. Much, much better than any Long John Silver's I've visited.

In the Phoenix area, it's tough to find decent fish and chips. About the only remaining place with authentic product is The Codfather on Bell, in north Phoenix.

I just saw a review for a local chain, Pete's Fish and Chips; the reviewer obviously has no clue as to what constitutes good fish and chips. The one time I stopped at one, I got a "Mrs. Paul's" type patty of minced fish and some soggy fries. Won't ever go back unless they're the only place left that has food in stock (including my garden - I'd eat nothing but tomatos before going to Pete's again.

The point is well-taken, though - that it seems the Brits have a better handle on making fish and chips than most everywhere else.

Deni

The wee bit of Scottish in me recommends

Andrea Lena's picture

The Argyle, in Kearny, New Jersey. http://argylerestaurant.com Excellent food and such; bein' how it's run by Scots...and as we all know, if it's not Scottish...it's crap! Also Cameron's Meat Market just down the street.

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh, With much love, Andrea MacDonald (DiMaggio)

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

It's very difficult to find good fish and chips in the US

Almost bleedin' impossible. There are a lot of reasons, one of the chief is that in the US no one uses lard any more. Then, there are differences in the breading... it goes on.

I was first introduced to the wonders of malt vinegar for chips in Canada. At least where I live now, Sonoma Valley, there are restaurants that offer vinegar for your chips. I have given up on actually ordering fish and chips in the States as most now-days put corn flour or corn meal into the breading. I have a food allergy to corn. Might not sound like too big of a deal, but in the States, they put corn in everything. Must be nice to have such a tight lobby.

Deni, I know how hard it is to get really fresh fish in Phoenix. I moved to Sonoma from Mesa, so I know. Right now we're getting fresh whole crab for $3/pound. Yum!

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Recent discovery

Amazing what you find when you start digging about on the site. I was tempted to read this story when I first saw the picture (expresses so much of what I want) but only started today. Now I'm hooked. Wouldn't it be fantastic just to start over, and in a place like this?

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Great local color, wrong locale...

Ole Ulfson's picture

Still, how could a writer know such a great name and not use it?

Maybe a new home?

We who are about to read, salute you!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!