Changes~Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version
I was so happy when the day came for my leaving the hospital. Beside me, holding Heather was Abby. I was still a bit sore so we decided that she should carry her today...

Changes

Chapter~65

By Susan Brown

Copyright © 2010 Susan Brown

 
 

Previously…

‘I’ll see yer again when yer feel a bit better. I’d better go and see if Sarah’s teeth have rotted with all that muck she’s drinkin’. I want yer out of here soon and cracking on with me paintin’; the way things are goin’, I’ll be six feet under before I get it!’

‘Thanks for coming.’ I said reaching for her hand. She patted it, smiled and then turned away. As she reached the door, hand on handle, she turned back. She had strange look on her face and tears seemed to glisten in her eyes, although it might have been the light.

‘I might not be yer biological mother, but I don’t mind bein’ a surrogate. I rather like bein’ called Mother, or Mummy, if yer have to. Think about it. I’m a sentimental old fool, but I don’t think that you can have enough children, even if I have never had a baby of my own…as I say, think about it.’

‘I thought you had a son?’

‘Yes, nice boy, don’t see him much now. Got a life of his own, adopted him when he was six. Anyway, must dash. Have a think about what I said…’

‘I have no need to, come back soon–Mummy.’

‘Right–good–must be orf. Somethin’ in me eye, makin it water like this. Can’t leave Sarah for five minutes, that girl–’

Then she was gone, leaving me feeling a lot better–but that didn’t stop me from crying my eyes out as I knew now that I not only had a lover and a daughter; I had, it appeared, managed to acquire a mother too!

Who said I wasn’t lucky?

And now the story continues…

I was so happy when the day came for my leaving the hospital. Beside me, holding Heather was Abby. I was still a bit sore so we decided that she should carry her today.

It was a beautiful day, warm and only a few clouds dotting the sky. All too soon winter would be upon us and we would all have to batten down the hatches against the wild winter weather for which this area is renowned–if that is the right word.

I said goodbye and thanks to the matron, sister and a few of the nurses that had looked after me so carefully from the time I came in three weeks ago, broken and bent out of shape. I knew that I had a way to go yet and it still hurt to laugh or breathe in too deeply. Most of the cuts and bruises had faded a lot by now but I was still a bit fragile and had nasty dreams about that monster who tried to kill me.

That was in the back of my mind now as I grinned at the sight before me. My new Mummy–Dotty to you–was standing there with Sarah, in front of her gleaming Roller. It appeared that we were going home in some style!

Jenkins was standing by the open rear door, resplendent in a chauffeur’s uniform, complete with a peaked cap with a cockade.

‘Hello, you young things. Thought that yer might need a lift, since Samantha trashed your car, Abby, and hers is still with that idiot Potts.’

Sarah giggled as she normally did on a regular basis. I had learned that she had a brand new friend in the shape and form of Bethany. They were evidently as thick as thieves and I wondered how Penmarris would be able to cope with the two tearaways.

‘No Fifi, Mummy?’ I asked innocently.

‘I do wish you would call me Mother or somethin’ less, damn sentimental, young Sam. No, Fifi has disgraced herself on the carpet of the drawing room, so she’s confined to quarters. Well are yer goin’ ter stand there all day, or are we goin’ ter get yer home?’

We all somehow piled into the car apart from Sarah, who was going to get up to mischief somewhere else with Bethany. Heather had to go into a rearward-facing baby seat that was already fitted, so Abby and I sat either side of her while Her Imperious Presence went in the front passenger seat. Jenkins, after making sure that everyone was secure, started the car and with a wave to the hospital staff and Sarah, we were orf!

We proceeded down the hill, past the gate that led up to Dotty’s old pile, around and along a few lanes catching glimpses of the sea down below through breaks in the walls and hedges as we went and then, finally we arrived home. It was decided that baby should have a cat-free environment for the moment, as we didn’t want any of the little darlings parking themselves on Heather’s face, so we drew up, with whisper quietness outside my little cottage. Heather, bless her, was fast asleep blowing bubbles with her mouth, so she wasn’t aware that she was coming home–at last.

As usual, there were a gaggle of women chatting across the road and a number of curtains seemed to twitch in unison. It was somewhat quiet as most of the bird population that lived and parked themselves on the roofs and walls hereabout seemed to be strangely absent, I’m sure that it had absolutely nothing to do with Dotty.

Being a bit stiff and sore, Jenkins helped me out of the car while Abby unplugged Heather from her seat. My new mummy stood by glaring at the rubber-neckers across the road until they sort of evaporated away leaving us relatively alone in the lane, apart from a cat who was far more intent on washing his or her bottom than looking at the comings and goings of those strange beings on two legs.

I climbed the steps and opened the door. It was nice to be home and Mrs Pearson was there, ready in the kitchen with a cup of tea from the huge teapot she had brought from home. Legend had it that the pot had not been cleaned since it was bought around the time of the Spanish Armada, but as it was Abby who told me this, I didn’t give it much credence.

‘Adds to the flav’r m’dear,’ said Mrs Pearson when asked about it.

Jenkins stayed with the car, to repel all boarders as the rest of us made our way to the sitting room. Mummy Dotty, of course, immediately plonked herself down in the big old armchair and made herself comfortable, while the rest of us played musical chairs until we were all seated.

Heather was in her carrycot, still oblivious to her change of address. I hoped, when she was a bit more active, she would appreciate the quaint little place that I loved so much. Being a baby though, I doubted it.

Then Mrs Pearson came in and placed three cakes on the table, two of them were sponge cakes and the third was a lovely cream cake. To say I lusted after it was an understatement as I had been incarcerated for three weeks, but I felt a bit awkward about just taking it and I could see that Abby was having some sort of crisis too.

‘Ooh,’ said Mummy, ‘I adore cream cakes, don’tcher know,’ and grabbed it quicker than a cabinet minister telling terminological inexactitudes about how well the country was doing under his government.

Abby glanced at me ruefully as she picked up one of the two remaining cakes and I had the other. There was a brief silence as we ate our cakes and washed it down with Mrs Pearson’s tea, which wasn’t Darjeeling, but not bad considering the pot that it had come from.

‘Well, Samantha, Abby, glad to bring young sprog home?’

‘Yes,’ said Abby,’ I’ve been waiting for this for absolutely ages.’

‘Mmm,’ I added, ‘it’s nice to be home again,’ just as Heather decided to wake up and demonstrate her considerable lung capacity.

‘I think she’s hungry,’ I shouted.

‘I’ll go and do a bottle,’ Abby replied loudly as she picked her up and placed her on my lap.

Heather quietened down slightly as the decibel level reduced dramatically. Mummy Dotty was watching me carefully. ‘What?’ I enquired.

‘You’re a natural, gel. Look at the way she’s gazin’ at yer?’

Looking down at the little face, I could see that she was happy again as she gurgled at me in baby-speak. She grabbed hold of my little finger with her hand and her grip was surprisingly strong.

‘Likkle didums likes mummy’s handy pandy?’ I cooed.

Heather giggled.

‘What are yer talkin’ like that fer? She won’t understand a damn thing yer sayin’ to her. In my day we were taught to speak the King’s English, none of this namby-pamby stuff!’

I looked up and smiled.

‘She will probably start speaking broad Devonian , living down here.’

‘Not if I have anythin’ to do with it. Have yer put her down for Roedean yet?’

‘No, we want her to have a local education.’

‘No decent public schools around here,’ she said dismissively.

‘We think that she will do very well at the local infants–St Winifred’s.’

‘Mmm, might have to get some elocution lessons then. She could always come up ter me, I’ll teach the young sprog how ter speak properly.’

‘Thanks for the offer. We’ll see how we go shall we?’ I tried to keep a straight face, but it was difficult, however I was saved from embarrassing myself by Abby’s return with the warmed milk and a thin towel to sop up any wet burps.

As I fed Heather, I wished that I had my own milk “on tap” for her, as I had been told that it had lots of stuff in it that you just didn’t get with powdered milk. She took her bottle making little satisfied sounds and when she had finished and been burped, we all cooed over her for a while before Mummy Dotty announced that she had to go.

‘Have to go and sort out the vicar again. Noticed that he was leanin’ too heavily on the New Testament again on Sunday. I heard a rumour that he was thinkin’ of askin’ one of the villagers to accompany one of the hymns on the ukelele. Whatever next, for heaven’s sake? George Formby? A pop group? I’m going to tell him he’d be better orf with a barrel-organ man with a monkey up a stick.’

She said this as if it was some sort of undesirable disease that should be avoided at all costs and once again, I had to have iron control over my sniggering muscles.

‘Goodbye then. Bring Heather over tomorrow and we’ll have tea, four o’clock for four thirty.’

‘Bye, Mummy-Dotty,’ Abby and I replied in unison.

‘Hrumph,’ said Dotty as she kissed the gurgling Heather on the forehead and breezed out.

After the door closed Abby and I grinned at each other. Having Dotty around was going to make life interesting to say the least!

That night, I lay in bed with Abby beside me. She was fast asleep–as was Heather, who I could hear breathing quietly in her cot next to our bed. It was so nice having my family around me, I sort of felt whole again. I yawned and turned over, spooning into the satin clad back of Abby and gently hugging her and holding her warm full breast in my hand as I fell gently to sleep.

We were woken twice during the night by Heather: she was fed once and changed both times. I did the first shift and Abby, the second. It wasn’t too bad, but I wondered how many broken nights we would suffer before Heather reached the age of 21.

The next morning, Heather decided to take on the important job of The Alarm.

Dead on the dot of seven o’clock, she started to do a very good impression of a baby in extreme distress. The fact was, as soon as we put the light on and brought her into bed with us, she laughed, gurgled and promptly fell asleep again. She lay between us, her mouth moving as if she was suckling on a bottle or–better still in her case–a breast and her little legs were kicking slightly as she no doubt dreamed the dreams of the innocent.

Abby and I–being wide-awake by now–just lay there with her and watched the marvel of life in the shape of our baby. Then we fell asleep again and didn’t wake up until nine o’clock.

After a belated breakfast, Abby took Heather to the pottery as she was looking after her for the day. I had had express instructions from everyone from Ernie the milkman downwards that I should take it easy and get better; otherwise I might land back in hospital again.

I decided to spend the morning pottering around and then go down to see Abby and Heather at lunchtime. Mind you, I was missing them both already by the time the church clock chimed ten o’clock. Then I had a stream of visitors and who kept me busy for a while. Jocasta, David and the girls called first and I had a happy hour chatting and drinking tea before the girls had to go riding and arguing, so they all went off promising to see me the next day. Then Marcia dropped in, gave me the once over, told me to not climb any mountains or go bungee jumping for a while and then left.

Shortly after, my ’phone rang: it was Dawn; ‘Hi, sis?’

‘Hi, yourself. How’re your aches and pains?’

‘Still a bit sore, but with tender loving care and sufficient Cornish pasties and Devon cream teas, I have been told that I should pull through, eventually.’

‘I thought that Cornish Pasties were banned in Devon.’

‘I know a man–’

‘Ah, I see, ’nuff said. Right, good news, we are moving to Penmarris in ten days time!’

‘Whoopiiie!’

‘Yes, I agree with that sentiment with bells on. How’s Heather?’

‘Loud.’

‘Trying to see if she can break any windows, eh? Just wait until she’s 13, or if you’re lucky 14, and has discovered that boys are more interesting than Sindy or, God forbid, Barbie dolls and she wants to go clubbing, wearing a dress only slightly longer than a blouse and makeup that a Soho prostitute would be proud of.’

‘I seem to remember you were a bit like that.’

‘Nah, not me, your honor, it wus the goyl next door.’

‘Stop it, Dawn, it hurts when I laugh!’

After I put the phone down, still smiling, I had about ten minutes to myself before the bell rang again. It would be lovely to have Dawn, Adrian, Hayley and Timothy living right here in the Cove!

I opened the door and Katie was there holding a paper bag.

‘Come in love,’ I said as I smiled and waved at the three members of the local coven across the lane. I wasn’t too worried as the full moon wasn’t until the weekend and eye of newt, and toe of frog were out of season at the moment.

I followed Katie into the kitchen and made some coffee.

‘How are you?’ She asked.

‘Not bad. I have to avoid cross country skiing or free fall diving for a few weeks but other than that, I think that I should live to see my next birthday.’

‘Good, I think. Look, I have prezzie for you.’ She put her hand in the bag and pulled something out and showed me.

‘Is this a pasty which I see before me, the crust toward my hand?’

‘What drugs are you on?’

‘Sorry, I have a touch of the Shakes at the moment.’

‘Mmm, I think I might have a quiet word with Marcia, whatever she’s giving you is not enough or maybe too much. So where’s the baby?’

‘Abby has her. She said I needed to rest and recuperate, but I miss them already,’ I said as I cut the pasty in half, gave Katie some and started devouring the rest.

‘Mmm,’ said Katie, spraying crumbs, ‘If we cracked the pasty problem here in Devon, we could shut down Cornwall.’

‘Nah, then all those strange Cornish folk would come and live here; we have enough crackpots here as it is.’

We giggled at that and continued with our midmorning feast.

We had a bit of a chat about the businesses that I had inherited and the money that was rolling in without my having to lift a pink-varnished fingernail. It seemed almost obscene that despite a recession, I was still making money, but as I had plans and Good Deeds in mind, at least I could spread a little happiness around.

After Katie went off to a business meeting, I was all on my lonesome ownsome once more. I went up to my studio and crossed to the window. The view from here always made me catch my breath. The day was still pleasantly warm and there were a few people on the beaches, mainly adults, as the kids were back at school. The quay had a few more people on it and I could see the pottery and my new studio over to the side. I would be able to open the doors of the gallery next week, if I felt well enough. Some of my friends would help, which was nice and I really looked forward to starting my new venture.

I glanced at my watch and on a whim; I decided to go for a walk. I was a bit stiff and I wanted to untie a few knots in my underused muscles.

I picked up my bag and yellow banana anorak and headed for them thar hills, in the shape of the coastal path.

I was a bit breathless when I reached the path and stopped for a minute or two before carrying on. There was no one about and I had the path to myself. It was so nice up there, with the autumn turning the leaves on the trees, all shades of the rainbow. The sea was calm, blue and clear and from my high vantage point, I could see a few sailing boats out past the harbour where the winds were a bit fresher. I was still anxious to learn how to sail and wondered if Abby would too. I would have to ask her.

I continued along the path; some leaves in the slight breeze were lazily falling off the trees and I thought that that sounded a bit like a rhyming couplet, no hang on it’s called a triplet, isn’t it?

I just shrugged and carried on walking. Soon I reached Rachel’s Seat and sat down taking a deep breath and just enjoying the peace and quiet.

I loved it up here and this was one of my favourite spots overlooking the entire cove with the harbour, the quay and the two beaches down below.

Sitting there reminded me of Olivia and her tragically short life. If I could, I would try to find a nice spot up somewhere along the path and have a seat dedicated to her. We could bring Heather up here and let her sit on it. I wanted to tell Heather all about her birth mother and try to convey something of her spirit and sense of fun. Although I fell out of love for Olivia, there was still a place in my heart that I would always have that would be hers.

I had found my home here in Penmarris–a place that I would never dream existed when I shut my eyes and pointed my finger on the map after leaving my house in such a terrible state. I had found a home and a family and some friends who loved me for who I am. I was such a lucky girl!

There were lots of things that I still needed to do. Dotty’s painting had to be finished and the gallery had to be stocked–I already had several artists who wanted to show their works, so I didn’t think that I would have many problems filling the walls. I wanted to make sure that my businesses were running smoothly and I didn’t have to keep running around the country sorting out problems. I had some ideas as to how I could use the profits to benefit the locals and I sort of had a kernel of an idea about running some sort of holiday home for underprivileged children so that they could have a free seaside holiday. Then I wanted to grab hold of that old crony and give her a piece of my mind for telling me such nonsense, but maybe she was just an old eccentric, so I might just give her a cup of tea and a sticky bun.

Other things started coming to me as I sat there with a couple of rabbits playing just a few feet away from me, completely oblivious to my presence.

Abby and I had to decide if and when I had the big op and whether we would we try to use the frozen sperm or produce some more so that young Heather could have a brother or sister–important things to consider. Also, should we have matching wedding dresses at our wedding, whenever that would be, and if we did, would it be bad luck–knowing what each other was going to wear?

Heady stuff!

Another idea just occurred to me and it was a ripper…

Then my mobile chirped at me.

I pulled the ’phone out of my bag. I had a message, it was from Abby.

‘Hi Honey, where are you? Heather wants to see Mummy!’

I smiled, replied ‘I’m on my way home,’ put the ’phone away, stood up, smoothed down my skirt and then walked back down the path to see my lover and my baby.

The End of Book One

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments…thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
394 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lovely Story

... but I do hope that there will be a Book 2. I bet I am not alone in this hope either.

Briar

Briar

Thank You

Many thanks for a very nice story. I have really looked forward to see every new chapter. Beside the story with and around the main persons, I have also got an interest in the part of UK where the story took place. I will certainly try to include that area in my next visit to UK. Again Many Thanks!
Yours
Ginnie

GinnieG

LOL

'Is this a pasty which I see before me, the crust toward my hand?’
‘What drugs are you on?’
‘Sorry, I have a touch of the Shakes at the moment.’

What's next? 'To be or not to be – that is the question'
Now that I think about it, that one was definitely answered by Samantha right at the start of this brilliant story :-)

It's sad to see the end of Book 1, but I'm definitely looking forward to more tales from Penmarris and the further adventures of Samantha, her family and friends...

Less, It Would Seem...

...remained to be wrapped up here than one might have thought. I was expecting at least one more surprise before we moved on.

Anyway, thanks for a very good story.

Eric

Ah Eric

Always leave your readers wanting more!

Hugs
Sue


~~ This post brought to you by the sponsors of Sue Brown and the letters q, f, j, l and the number 67 ~~

Why Number 67?

I would have thought that 69 would have been more fun! ;-)

Gabi.
—who was working in France during “Soixante-Neuf, l'année érotique”.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Well if you want an "Explanation"

Then here is one. ^_^
The final Chapter of Changes is 65th.
66 has vague diabolic connotations, so this number is omitted.
And the 1st Chapter of Changes Book 2 will be then 67th.
How's that for an explanation?

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Number 70

It's one better than a 69!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

So we say

So we say good bye to our friends in Pennmarris Cove and hope we will see them again some day soon.

While i'm sad

that we have come to the end of Book One, I suppose sooner or later we had to reach the end, And what better place to finish than with Sam back home with Abby and Heather complete with her new "mummy".

I do hope this is more a case of Au-Revoir than goodbye, Stories as good as this, Do not come along too often, Thank you Sue for sharing it with us and making it so very enjoyable

Hugs Kirri

Changes~65

What a sweet chapter that leaves us wanting more! Now, we wonder what you have in store for Sam and company, next.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Sweet!

A sweet and thoughtful end to a wonderful story. You hit all the right notes, throughout. We had determination, romance, betrayal, adventure, misadventure, ingenuity, trepidation, comedy, a few moments of terror and much happiness.

The Final Chapter. Please say it's not true, no more cliffhanger

RAMI

I saw the Title - "Changes - The Final Chapter" and I was sad, I said to myself "Please say it is not true". I read this sweet and touching chapter till the end, not wanting it to happen. Reading about Samantha and her family and friends were always something I looked forward to. Then the final lines arrived and Sue Brown did not disappoint, there was her normal cliffhanger in the last words, "THE END OF BOOK ONE". So what better cliffhanger then to anticipate "CHAPTER ONE OF BOOK TWO"

Sue thanks again for a wonderful story.

RAMI

RAMI

I'm glad (in a way) the

I'm glad (in a way) the story ended - or is it beginning?

Sometimes a story can go on too long, but you chose to end it where there is a new beginning. Sam is beginning her life unencumbered by the issues of her former life.

You have a delightful writing style, and I can't believe that this story had 65 parts! (Was it really that long?) I read all 65 and as I reached the end of one part, I started anticipating what the next part would hold. Even now, I also am wondering what a "Book 2" would hold.

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful story with us.

A Very Lovely Story

Whatever will I do? My most favorite story has come to an end? The consumption of tissues will drop considerably worldwide!
We can only hope that "The End of Book One" will soon be "Book Two - Chapter One"
Thank you, Sue, for a wonderful story.

Diane

Thanks Sue

Sad to see it end but it was a beautiful ending. Its hard to say goodbye to all of these wonderful characters.

As far as I know...

Andrea Lena's picture

...most authors don't end a story with "The End of Book One," unless there's a Book Two on the horizon, so there's much to look forward to by a great author once again. Thank you!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

This has been a lovely

This has been a lovely story, Sue, thanks for sharing it with us!

Thank you for a lovely story!

I really looked forward to coming to the BigCloset every day to see if there was another one of your chapters. Thank you for a wonderful story.

My what a charming story

This was really good. The characters seemed to have a life of their own, and were very well developed. Oh, that Penmaris existed and I could go there for a visit.

I no longer feel that the operation is the only accepible path. Still, it did something very wonderful to me. It would be interesting to understand the psychology involved.

Keep up the good writing, OK ?

Khadijah Gwen

A lovely ending, but I do

A lovely ending, but I do hope book 2 won't be too long in coming!

Saless

P.S. I agree with a previous commenter that Chapter 69 would have been a good ending point! ;) 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Me too!

Sue

I've thoroughly enjoyed this series. Like others, I was disappointed to see 'Final Chapter' in the heading, but thrilled with "End of Book One" in the anticipation of reading more of your delightful characters and plot lines.

We never did find out what was in that bank deposit box did we?

Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Prose Sublime

End of Book One

terrynaut's picture

This has been a very charming story. I've enjoyed it a lot.

It looks like more of Samantha's adventures are at least in the planning stage. We can all hope.

Thanks very much to Sue and Gabi for the wonderful (and free!) entertainment.

- Terry

Thank *you*, Terry…

…I have enjoyed editing Changes trimensely (a mixture of Tremendously and immensely that I first came across in the wonderful children's books by Antonia Forrest about the Marlow family—highly recommended). Sue has such great plot ideas, and all I have had to do is polish it up a bit, correct her—slightly skew-whiff—punctuation and make the odd suggestion here and there as to how to keep all you readers on the edges of your collective seats. It's been great fun and I, also, am looking forward to Book Two.

Of course there's still Football Girl: thank goodness Sue knows something about footy because all I know about football is sweet FA. :-D

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

End of Book One?

So as one story arc ends, so another will presumably start.

So, what's in store for Book 2?

The opening of the gallery
Dotty's portrait gets finished (we hope!)
Lots of "Waaaaaaa!!!!!!" action from Heather
More cryptic messages from the old crone
Possibly an insight into some more of Nigel's business empire
Possibly a meeting with Miles Cameron (the accountant) - and perhaps his Portsmouth relatives?
A few glimpses into the lives of Sarah and the receptionist's son (daughter to be).

Oh, how about a nice-to-have: a one-off collaboration with another author, as a rather large family (four adults, seven children [so far] and a dog) take a day trip to Penmarris.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Since You Mentioned It...

I'm kind of sorry that Colin didn't eliminate the seer on their way out of the village. (Bad for his business...)

Not that she doesn't fit into the Penmarris scenery, and it's not that I object to puzzles per se. But the clues we got were redundant (referencing the baby twice) and not a whole lot of use. The dog in the nighttime seemed to mean that the villain was someone close enough and well-known enough to Samantha to evade suspicion. Nope. Things aren't what they seem -- really useful, that one. (Not.) The Babbage clue was helpful, but mostly because blaming a major plot development on someone who'd been previously mentioned about twice and (if I recall correctly) had never actually made an appearance wouldn't have been all that fair.

(And it's still not clear whether Colin just lucked out when Samantha rather than Abby came for the computer, or was planning to coerce Abby into calling Samantha when she got there, or what. I can't see where there was more than about one chance in four that Abby would ask Samantha to do it rather than (1) pick it up later or the next day, (2) close down for the few minutes it would take to get there and back, or (3) ask him to deliver. (Did she take it to the guy's house in the first place? In an old-fashioned village like that, it seems more likely to me that the repair guy would pick up. It seems clear that he took care of the doctors' machine on site.)

Sure, I'm nit-picking here -- I enjoyed the story, and this was a minor inconvenience. But I didn't find the seer to be an effective story element, think the story would have been better without her, and wouldn't mind at all if she didn't appear in whatever sequel may follow.

Eric

I am a little sad!!

Pamreed's picture

Because this story has become a part of my life!! Whenever I read it it perked me up. Oh at times I cried and other times laughed!! But that is life, and on the whole there were more laughs then cries!! I hope the end of book one means there is going to be a book two!!

Sue you made Sam and Abby and the rest seem like real people I was lucky enough to share part of their life!! Ok you can have vacation from writing but not long I hope!! And there is aways Football Girl to help fill the void!!

I know this was only about 15 or 20 minutes every day or so but is was satisfying. And then there have been all the comments giving me glimpses into other readers lives!!

Fare thee well,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Shall we call it and Intermission

Not the end, just a pause or intermission while Sue gathers her wits, recharges her batteries and sets forth once again to entertain us delightfully.

Thank you for a warm, intriguing and at times dark tale. I look forward to Book 2.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

Wot Pippa said

I agree.

How on earth does anyone get any work done in Penmarris? 'Tomorrow culture' is not only alive and well; it's positively thriving.

What a lovely place to live.

Susie

If Changes had a narrator

... she would voice over it such as ... So now, we leave Penmarris Cove. All is peaceful now, calm serenity returning, soothing - a hard won peace ....

*cut over*

*Dimly lit warehouse* Two furtive figures, whispering in the gloom, among the rusted remains of a once prosperous chemical factory. Figure 1 - So that tranny fag still lives ? Figure 2: Yeah Colin bought it I hear ? So he did not get into that safe deposit box ? Figure 1 1 'Fraid not, damn it all! Figure 2 - Shame, now we have to take stronger measures. Nothin' gonna keep me away from 200 million quid, and the bitch don't even know it! Figure 2 - Aw, real shame too. You know how much white babies are worth on the open market ? Figure 1 - *Snort* Yeah, and it'll pay through the nose and still it will never get her back *evil laughter*

Anyway, just a bit of fanciful writing so *Who knows*? I write like s**t!

All I'm glad about is that there will be a book 2 someday, I think. Yayyyyyy.

Thank you so much Sue for a great series

Kim

Thank you so much, Sue and Gabi.

Thank you so much, Sue, for sharing this wonderful story with us! Equal thanks to you, Gabi, for all the fine editing you do.
I have always looked forward with anticipation and pleasure to each new chapter. (As I also do with F.G.)
Now I'll be anxiously awaiting Book 2.

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Thank you so much for this

Thank you so much for this story, I look forward seeing to a book 2 in the future :)

Megumi :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

All Good Things.....

joannebarbarella's picture

It was inevitable, I suppose.....sigh.

Sue, thank you for the lovely ride and well edited Gabi. I have nothing to add that everybody else hasn't said already. Now you have no excuse for going slow on "Football Girl"

Aren't I a greedy-guts?

Joanne

:)

The English Teacher's picture

Alway a pleasure to read Sue's work

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Feel good story

This was a wonderful feel good story. I very much look forward to the next one.
Great job.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Thanks everyone and Eric

I would like to thank everyone for their support, PM's comments and votes. I have enjoyed writing the story and will return to it, hopefully later in the year.

Regarding your comments Eric,

"I'm kind of sorry that Colin didn't eliminate the seer on their way out of the village. (Bad for his business...)

Not that she doesn't fit into the Penmarris scenery, and it's not that I object to puzzles per se. But the clues we got were redundant (referencing the baby twice) and not a whole lot of use. The dog in the nighttime seemed to mean that the villain was someone close enough and well-known enough to Samantha to evade suspicion. Nope. Things aren't what they seem -- really useful, that one. (Not.) The Babbage clue was helpful, but mostly because blaming a major plot development on someone who'd been previously mentioned about twice and (if I recall correctly) had never actually made an appearance wouldn't have been all that fair."

Eric, once again unfortunately you seemed to have missed the plot. I am not sure that you have been reading the same story that I have been writing. Perhaps you can tell me where I have said anywhere in the story that what the seer said was in any way true? It might be true, perhaps everything she said did or will come to pass.

Samantha said the following:

"Then I wanted to grab hold of that old crony and give her a piece of my mind for telling me such nonsense, but maybe she was just an old eccentric, so I might just give her a cup of tea and a sticky bun."

All she is effectively saying is that she does not believe in the seer, end of.

Then you think that it strange regarding the fact that Sam went for the computer. Even if Abby went for it, it wouldn't have mattered too much as Colin would have got Abby to get Sam there at gun point if necessary.

Anyway, I won't nitpick but thanks for taking the time to comment and I am really pleased that you enjoyed the story.

Hugs

Sue


~~ This post brought to you by the sponsors of Sue Brown and the letters q, f, j, l and the number 67 ~~

Thanks Again for Responding, Susan...

If a seer's comments are irrelevant, then there's generally no reason to put them into a story. This isn't real life; there's a reason things happen here, and her comments seemed like more than local color or semicomic relief.

Certainly I was aware that Samantha didn't believe or trust them. But what does that have to do with anything? That's the normal state of affairs in stories, going back to Cassandra in Greek tragedy and "beware the Ides of March" in Shakespeare. The reader is supposed to either take the warnings seriously or to find/figure out who has an ulterior motive for using them in an attempt to modify characters' behavior.

Regarding Abby, Samantha and the computer pickup, I did intend to say -- apparently it dissolved when I erased/rewrote a few paragraphs before posting -- that forcing Abby to summon Samantha was one possibility. But the complication there is that Colin couldn't afford to leave Abby behind with that knowledge; it seems to me that he'd have to plan on killing them both, after Samantha turned over the documents. Sure, Colin could do it -- shoot 'em both (separately -- I doubt that he'd let them outnumber him in the car while they were alive), then pile them into the front seats and push the car off a cliff. But it's a real bother and awfully messy for someone as urbane as Colin at least pretends to be. (My reading of the character, anyway. As you said, maybe I'm not picking things up as well as you'd like me to.)

I apologize if I'm running these things into the ground here, or if readers feel I should be presenting them privately. I only got on this track because a commenter was looking forward to more from the crone in book two, and I wasn't.

Eric

The Seer

Eric,

I am still not sure what you are trying to say and I repeat Samantha did not believe that the soothsayer come seer was anything other than a crackpot, it was an opinion. All her visions or whatever you wish to call it may have/would/could come true. Are you saying that a bit of colour or eccentricity should not be in the story because to you it isn't relevant?

The reader is supposed to either take the warnings seriously or to find/figure out who has an ulterior motive for using them in an attempt to modify characters' behavior.

If the reader wishes to take the prophecies seriously, that is up to them. I have never made any attempt to justify them in the story, but it is fun to see all the interpretations and second guessing and to me the readers comments adds to the fun it. If someone said to you that the moon is made of blue cheese, would you take that as fact, just because someone has said it? I think and hope not.

Part of the charm of Penmarris and it's inhabitants are that they are colourful and eccentric. If you do not like aspect, then perhaps it wasn't one for you.

Anyway hon, I think that we will have to agree to disagree on this one and i thank you once again for asking the time to comment.

Hugs
Sue


~~ This post brought to you by the sponsors of Sue Brown and the letters q, f, j, l and the number 67 ~~

Prophecies etc.

Generally speaking, one of the hallmarks of seers is that their message is cryptic - it's an exercise for the readers and characters to interpret their prophecies as they see fit. Some of the prophecies may be bang on target (depending on interpretation), others may be way off. But human nature is such that the ones perceived as true will be remembered more vividly than the ones perceived as false. A well-written seer (like the one in this book) will always leave an element of doubt as to whether they are just a crackpot with crazy ideas, or if they do have occasional insights into what may occur in the future.

And why do they have to be relevant to the storyline? In real life, you have passing encounters each day that don't mean anything - you might even offer to help someone in need in the street - but will you meet them again? Probably not.

So why should authors of fiction have to carefully consider every word, to make sure nothing is said that is not directly relevant to the plot? Why can't their characters have encounters that don't mean anything? Besides which, with seers in particular, their presence can be used as part of a "red herring" device to encourage readers to speculate (wildly!) about the upcoming plot, and in some circumstances (possibly not in this tale) render readers completely oblivious to various other clues about plot direction, so when the plot development occurs it's a surprise to the readers.

Anyway, keep up the writing (preferably in the same style!), and I look forward to seeing the arrival of part 1 of "Penmarris Cove" (or whatever you devide to call Book 2!)
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Merrily Bizarre Comedic Relief

I saw the old crone as just some local color, just one of those weird characters that show up now and again on TV, not only in those wacky Britcoms, but in dramas as well. It's legitimate to have a wacky "throw away" character or two in a story, especially for relief or counterpoint.

Brits aren't afraid of eccentrics. In fact, they seem to be accepted as a definitive fact of life, as well as both a source of comedy and a point of gratitude that there, but for the grace of God, etc.

Thank you

All the major plots have been finished, and it has been a great ride you gave us. Like a roller coaster.
Great job. Every story you give us seems to be just a tad bit better written that the last on. Thank you.

Aechel

Aechel

Thanks

Thank you for a beautiful story

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Wonderful

This is a seriously well-written, fantastic story. Thanks so much for writing this! I'd love to be all analytic and make insightful comments, but all I've got is that this story really drew me in and kept me there - wonderful. That's all, just wonderful.
Thanks
~abenderx~

Excellent Sue

Thank you!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Just wonderful

Such a wonderful week since I found this story just up from Football Girl(looking forward to a new chapter there) I am so very happy to have found Changes and think i shall be reading more of Sue's wonderful works

Goddess Bless you

Great story", Loved every chapter

"Great story", Loved every chapter and wished it would never end. Can't wait to start reading book two. Keep up the great work.

A Great Tale

and fitting end to Book 1. I have enjoyed it immensely with tears, laughter and even fear when Sam was kidnapped. Thanks. Jo

Wow

I've just finished a 'marathon-read' of Book One. I pretty much put the rest of my life on hold for the last day or two. Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But I really did enjoy it.

You are a very good writer. I will be moving on to Book Two shortly ...

T

Wow, great, wonderful.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I think you get the idea.

"I liked it!"
~Hypatia >i< ..:::

PS. Wonder if there are any pixies in Penmarris.

One of the Very Best Tales on BCTS

Just finished re-reading Changes from start to finish, and found it has brilliant the second time as it was the first time. Not all stories on even this fabulous website are worth reading more than once, but Changes I think could even stand being read three or more times - there is so much in it. A lot of wish-fulfillment of course, we always like that, but the way it gets inside the characters, the three dimensionality of the main ones, the complexity of the plot and subplots, the excitement and tensions, the humour, the romance without smut... I could go on and on about it for hours, but it is now the middle of the night, and as I have trouble trying to sleep I am going on to Part Two, where our lucky lady finds out she even owns a bloody big yacht....

I want to thank you, Susan Brown, for sharing the products of your lovely creative imagination with us all. I urge all those who have not yet read this one to do so now, and to make sure to give you double the present kudo points, as you deserve them !

Briar

Oh my gosh

Jamie Lee's picture

Where do I begin in describing a story which kept me on the edge of my seat until the last chapter?

How is it even possible to describe a story which not only has all the ups and downs in any well written story, but also enthralls the reader with the emotions of the characters.

Personally, I'm glad the bad guys got what was coming to them--they made their own beds. And sorry that Olivia could 't remain; she was a scared women who became the product of her fathers' doing. But glad she chose Sam to come to, knowing Heather would be in loving hands.

I loved to see Dotty remove the fake armor she wore, finally letting people she the love she harbored. I also loved the corny puns--never amiss in any story--the reference to several popular sci-fi movies, and references to several popular deceive series; I followed all of them when they were broadcast--I'm currently watching Midsummer.

Whether this was intended or not, something struck me near the end. PinMorris is a place where people may be a bit different, but when there is a need they help. There is a concern for the individual over and above the persons' life style. People are treated as people should be treated with respect.

Reading stories written some time ago makes it easier not having to wait for any sequels which are now posted.

Others have feelings too.

A lovely story! Once I

A lovely story! Once I started, I couldn't put it down... had to finish it with only breaks for food, water, and sleep :p


Hugs from British Columbia! :D

Changes: Ten years later...

RobertaME's picture

Well, here it is... ten years after the last chapter was posted. I know this is old stuff to most people here, but it's new to me and I just wanted to share my feelings on it.

I came here by way of Running Scared when one of the comments mentioned that this story was where the setting for chapter 5's ending was set. I truly did enjoy the story. You are quite a talented writer. Your characters are very well developed, (even the 'color' background ones) your use of descriptive language for painting the settings is like a master artist, and there were very few continuity errors or areas of confusing dialogue. (my own ham-fisted efforts at literature being edited into something less resembling mule-puke by my lovely and loving wife... Lord bless her... I know the value of good editing... so the last two I attribute as much to your editor Gabi as to yourself... as I'm sure you're aware and appreciative for her efforts)

I did want to share a few thoughts on your story, though. Please take them as I intend them... as well-meaning constructive review... not as complaints or criticisms. I wouldn't dare try to talk down to someone who a) has the courage I lack to actually publish your work to be picked apart... and b) is obviously talented enough to sell her works successfully.

The story began with a charming little tale about a woman breaking free of the oppression of her cheating wife and dictatorial father-in-law to find herself. The situation was mundane enough to be believable and relatable to most of us. When Nigel turned out to be a semi-legitimate thug who repeatedly raped his own daughter and sent out collections enforcers to break people's kneecaps for failure to pay, it turned into a completely different story... one that ceases to be relatable and becomes a fantastic adventure style of story. In and of itself there's nothing wrong with that... but you don't indicate that there are fantastic adventure elements in the tags... so what I thought was going to be a story about self discovery... one I was really getting in to... felt like a bait-and-switch. Ilike fantastic adventure... after all I came to this story from Running Scared... but I just feel that this would have been a better story as a pure 'Real World' endeavor.

Some of the plot elements were difficult to swallow. Samantha, who in the beginning was a more flawed character... good-natured and well-meaning... but still flawed, ended up in the end coming off as a Mary Sue. For just one example, she saved herself from Colin, who had a pistol drawn on her, by executing a near-perfect escape from his clutches. Steering into the tree was a valid idea, but managing to release his belt at just the exact right moment, not too soon to get shot but before they hit the tree, is a little far-fetched. It would have made more sense (and been more believable) if he'd just neglected to fasten his belt after the 'potty break' and she noticed, thus just taking advantage of his slip-up. (thus explaining the significance of the stop which actually seemed almost pointless)

Regarding the 'Gypsy fortune teller' and your defense of her being in the story, (that people meet all sorts of characters like that in their daily lives) I have to take issue with your justification. A writer doesn't write about every event in their characters' lives. We selectively edit their experiences to only include those that are significant to the story. Otherwise we'd end up bogged down in the mundane details of day-to-day life... like every time they use the restroom or brush their teeth... which few people find interesting. If you wanted to have the gypsy lady just be a colorful background character whose predictions are nonsense, you need only have given one example of it and from then on only said something like, "Along the way I ran into that old hag again who stopped and spouted more nonsensical noise in my direction." rather than detailing out meaningless dialogue that probably took you too long to come up with than it was worth for a 'throwaway' character. (if the story can be told without them, they're a throwaway character... and gypsy lady provided no useful content or direction)

In this I somewhat blame your editor, Gabi. One of the biggest things an editor is supposed to be providing an author is critical insight. We as writers think that everything we put in our stories is needed. If we didn't think it was necessary, we wouldn't have put it in to begin with, right? If an editor isn't telling their 'client' when the passage they've written is unnecessary filler... or just bad writing... you end up with what I call 'Stephen King Syndrome'. The Master of the Macabre's early books were far better than his most recent efforts because editors now dare not tell him when something he's written stinks. We writers need our editors to actually edit out our cringiest dialogue, our purple prose, and our useless tangents. Otherwise we end up with dialogue like, "I don't like sand. It's course and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." (Mr. Lucas also suffers from Stephen King Syndrome)

It also gets tiresome when the same situation is always written the 'traditional' way. The heroine is captured at gunpoint, then told they are needed to do something critical for the bad guy's plan... and they always just tuck-tail and obey like a good little puppy. None of them ever make the logical deduction that the very fact that the bad guys need them makes them unwilling to actually shoot them... it's just a bluff. In real life, shooting a pistol at a point-blank target is not only messy but dangerous. Shrapnel from the impact can still be travelling at deadly velocities if you are too close. Professional shooters, and thus professional killers, know this. Even if their victim doesn't, they still would not shoot if their bluff is called... even if they have nothing to lose. If Samantha had just told him, "Go ahead and shoot me! You will once you have what you want anyway and if you do shoot me you'll never get what you're looking for. Oh, and you better run fast once you do, because a gunshot here in the cove won't go unnoticed!" he'd have had to think of some other way to persuade her. At least it would have been original and not completely predictable.

Seriously though, I truly did enjoy the story and was sad to see it come to an end...

...Oh... there's like 37 more chapters in side stories? Woot!!!!! Bye!