Changes~21

Printer-friendly version
I woke up to a rasping lick on the nose and a purr that sounded like a car engine close to my ear.

Opening my eyes, I saw two big green eyes staring at me.

Changes

Chapter 21

By Susan Brown


 
 

No matter how hard I try
You keep pushing me aside
And I can't break through
There's no talking to you

Believe / Cher

Previously…

‘Miss Silverton–it must be one of her cats, I thought.

'Okay, Tammy, you can stay the night because it’s too late to ring your mummy, but tomorrow, I’ll ring her, just in case she’s worried. Okay?’

I could swear she nodded, but it might have been my imagination. I went to the bathroom, grabbed a towel and dried off Tammy, she wasn’t too wet so I assumed that she had been under some sort of shelter during the worst of the storm.

I switched the light off and Tammy settled down. I went to sleep to the sound of purring coming from my new friend.

And now the story continues…

I woke up to a rasping lick on the nose and a purr that sounded like a car engine close to my ear.

Opening my eyes, I saw two big green eyes staring at me.

‘Morning, Tammy, darling,’ I said, yawning and sitting up.

Immediately she went to the end of the bed and attacked my toes under the cover. Whether she thought that it was a mouse, I would never know.

‘Stop that, right now.’ I said in a voice that should have terrified her, but only made her purr louder and swish her tail, suggestively.

Glancing at the clock on the bedside table, I saw it was half past eight–‘Another lie-in; I could get used to this, must be all this sea air.’

Ignoring the fact that Tammy wanted to play some more and being stony-hearted, I picked up my new ’phone and dialed the number that I had seen on the little minx’s collar.

It rang for a short time and there was no answer. Just as I was about to put the ’phone down I heard, ‘Hello?’

‘Miss Silverton?’

‘Yes.’

‘Hello, you don’t know me, I’m Samantha Smart–’

‘–Oh yes, the new girl.’ She made it sound as if I was attending a new school for the first time.

‘Erm, yes. Anyway, I have one of your pussies here–Tammy–she came in somehow when the storm was raging last night.’

‘She would, she doesn’t like rain of any sort. I’m not surprised that she came to your cottage, she likes it there.’

‘Why?’

‘Well, old Albert used to feed her scraps and she’s very fond of scraps.’

I laughed.

‘Well, what do you want me to do with her?’

‘Oh, just let her out. She knows this village better than I do. She’ll find her own way home. Mind you, if she likes you, she’ll probably be a regular visitor.’

‘Oh I don’t mind, I love cats.’

‘You shouldn’t have said that.’

‘Why.’

‘I look after lots of waifs and strays and I just happen to have a litter of kittens here, longing to find a deserving new home.’

I’d better explain that Olivia didn’t like pets; she insisted they would tie us down. I love animals and wanted to at least have a couple of cats and the obligatory lab, just for balance.

‘I’ll take two,’ I said without thinking.

‘You haven’t seen them yet,’ she laughed. ‘Look, if you’re free today, come up for a cuppa and a cat inspection.’

‘Later on this morning I will be. I have a few things to do first, would sometime between ten and eleven be okay?’

‘That will be fine. Do you know where I live?’

‘Yes, Mrs Gotobed pointed out your cottage to me.’

‘Okay, see you later; ’bye.’

‘Bye.’ I pressed the stop button on the ’phone. ‘She seems nice. I like her voice–warm and friendly.’

I got up. Tammy, after chasing her tail around the bed several times, had either become giddy or had exhausted herself. She lay down again with her tummy in the air.

‘You might be okay lying there, but this girl has things to do.’

I had a quick shower, somehow managing to keep my hair dry; then returning to the bedroom, I found that Tammy had disappeared. I went to the window and looking out I could see that it was going to be a hot, hot, hot day. Already, there was a bit of a heat haze.

I selected a pretty, white halter dress to wear–one of the new ones that I had bought on my little shopping spree–and laid it on my bed. I know I should have removed my breast forms, but decided, as they felt okay, to take them off when I went to bed tonight.

I took out a white satin strapless bra and matching panties to go with the dress and put them on the bed too. Removing my robe, I put on the panties and bra and quickly applied some makeup; nothing fancy, just enough to fill up the nooks and crannies and some pink lippy to finish things off.

I put my robe back on to go downstairs for breakfast. My dress, being white, would be a magnet for any breakfast that I might inadvertently spill on myself if a certain little cat started causing mayhem around me.

Tammy was in the kitchen trying to catch a spider that had just scuttled under a skirting board. I could have told her that the spider would not be stupid enough to come out again while she was there, but you know kids, they never listen to you, so what was the point.

I opened the back door and the gentle breeze cooled things down a bit. Tammy, noticing that the door was open, took one look at me, meowed goodbye and shot out.

‘Bye, Tammy, come and visit me again,’ I said as I put some bread in the toaster.

After breakfast, I went back upstairs, cleaned my teeth and refreshed my lippy. Then I put my dress on and brushed my hair. Finally, after slipping on my white sandals, I was ready for the world.

Quickly, I checked that all the windows were closed and then left via the back door.

As I strolled down towards the harbour, I breathed in the fresh sea air. It hadn’t got oppressively hot yet and hoped it wouldn’t with the gentle sea breezes. The first call of the day was the surgery, then I would pop in and see Katie about the divorce, then I would have a wander up and down the quay, perhaps even dip my toes in the water, who knows, the time was mine and I relished the thought of not clock watching too much.

It seemed odd to me, that even after last night’s terrible and violent storm, there was no sign of damage and only a few puddles scattered here and there by way of evidence. The surgery was at the end of the High Street; as I passed the shops, they were just opening. I nodded and said, ‘hello,’ to several people and shopkeepers; everybody was so friendly and nice. I did like living here.

The surgery was in an old Georgian house that sat back a bit from the road.

I went up three steps, through the door and into the reception area. There were several people sitting on chairs reading magazines, obviously waiting their turn for one of the doctors. In the corner was a mother with a couple of young children who were reading comics and looking extremely bored–at least they weren’t screaming and bawling, though that would probably change soon, as they were starting to pinch each other on the arm.

On the wall were two plaques: one saying Dr Brian Sinclair and the other, Dr Marcia Sinclair. Both names had a string of letters after them and looked rather impressive. I approached the reception desk; there was a lady behind the counter bashing on a computer keyboard. She ignored me. She was about 50 and scrawny with short brown hair, thin lips and looked a bit shrewish–not that I like to make instant judgments. She didn’t seem to be the sort of woman that liked to smile.

I waited a few moments and the coughed gently.

She ignored me.

I coughed again–a little less gently.

She bashed the enter key and I was a bit surprised that the keyboard stayed in one piece.

Looking up she stared at me and said, ‘Yes?’

‘I would like to sign up please.’

‘Who for?’

‘Pardon.’

‘Which doctor?’

‘Marcia, please.’

‘That’s Doctor Marcia Sinclair to you.’

‘Okay, I would like to sign up for Doctor Marcia Sinclair please.’

‘Fill this in.’ She pushed over a form.

‘Have you got a pen, please.’

‘Yes, I have a pen,’, she replied cantankerously.

‘Can I borrow it please?’

‘You can, but whether you may is another matter.’

May I borrow it please?’ I asked, feeling like a naughty schoolgirl called in front of the headmistress.

She tut-tutted and then passed me a biro that had been bitten and chewed at the end. I moved to the side and filled in the details. In the mean time the receptionist who, unbelievably, was called Candice according to the badge on her inadequate bosom, carried on banging away at the keyboard.

She made me jump when she yelled, ‘Molly Taylor to Doctor Marcia.’

A woman got up, approached a door rather timidly, knocked and entered. I finished filling in the form and stood in front of Candice.

I coughed again and she ignored me again.

‘Excuse me?’

She looked up.

‘Yes?’

‘I’ve filled out the form.’

She sighed and then picked it up,

‘That seems in order.’

She then stuck it in a tray and went back to her typing.

I was getting a bit annoyed now. Here was I living in a place where everyone was nice to me and now I had this this person who seemed to have the communication skills of a slug–a retarded slug at that.

‘Excuse me,’ I said through slightly gritted teeth.

‘What now?’

‘I would like to make an appointment to see the doctor.’

‘What’s wrong with you?’

‘I am not willing to discuss that with you or in front of a waiting room full of people.’

‘You have to ring in at nine o’clock in the morning; first come first served.’

‘And if I was dying or in pain or couldn’t leave my cottage?’

‘Ring 999.’

‘What?’

‘It’s quicker.’ She carried on bashing the keyboard, as far as she was concerned the conversation was over.

I stared at her: my dander was now well and truly up. This wasn’t the old me she was talking to, it was Samantha Smart–new woman and nobody’s doormat.

‘Candice?’ I said rather louder than previously.

She looked up.

Still here?’

‘Yes, and if you don’t pay attention and stop assaulting that damned keyboard while I’m speaking, I will ram it up somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine. Let me say this and I will keep it simple. First, I don’t appreciate being spoken to like I’m something unpleasant you have stepped on. Secondly, I wish to be a private patient and as I know Brian personally, I do not think he would be happy about the way you speak to prospective patients, either private or national health, and thirdly, if–and I say if advisedly, I do become a patient here, you had better speak to me civilly or you will discover that I am not a person to cross. Am I making myself clear to you?’

I thought I had said it fairly quietly as I didn’t want to make too much of a scene in public, but I think everyone present heard my every word because there was a spontaneous round of applause.

I smiled sweetly and said to her. ‘Now MAY I have an appointment with Doctor Marcia?’

For some reason, she looked a bit sick and pasty. Perhaps she was coming down with swine ’flu–or maybe dry rot?

She stared at the screen, moved her mouse around and said, ‘Would eleven-thirty tomorrow suit you, Miss?’

‘That will be fine, thank you. Good day to you.’

I turned and walked out, looking to neither left nor right as I did not want to see anyone’s expression. I crossed the road to a tea shop that had just opened, sat down in the window and ordered a restorative cuppa.

My hands were shaking. It wasn’t like me to be so forceful–I was meek and mild, someone who Olivia was able to bend to her will, or I thought I was. As I sipped the hot sweet tea, I hoped that I wasn’t going the other way, from meek and mild to some sort of Lady Fairbairn clone, wielding a lethal handbag and scything everyone down in my path…

Shuddering at the thought, I just sat there trying to calm myself down and collect my thoughts. I took my ’phone out of my handbag and speed dialed a number.

‘Hello, Katie? It’s Samantha, are you free, I just want a quick word and to let you have some papers.’

‘Yes, give me fifteen minutes: I’ll be free to see you then. ’Bye.’

After finishing my cuppa, I headed for Katie’s office and went in, saying hello to the receptionist.

‘She won’t be a minute, Miss Smart, she’s on the ’phone to a client. Would you like to take a seat?’

Suddenly I felt tempted to ask her where she would like me to take it, but I sat down and tried to avoid gazing at the severe portraits hanging on the wall; I could swear they were all staring at me.

A few minutes later, I was ushered into Katie’s office. She stood up and came to me as I entered. A quick hug and a peck on the cheek and we went to the comfy sofa and sat down.

‘I’m glad you’ve come in, I have received some correspondence from your wife’s father. First of all what have you got for me?’

I handed her copies of the emails that Olivia and Nigel had sent me.*

‘Mmm, that kind of confirms what I thought. Read this.’ She handed me a letter. It was from Nigel.

Dear Madam,

Further to your letter of the 20th inst I can confirm that as yet we are not convinced that Tom wishes to have a divorce. Be assured though, that if the case does arise where this matter goes to court, your client would not benefit from the exposure or indeed financially.

Please be advised that we have at our disposal a formidable legal team and I am not in the habit of losing.

You may be well advised to counsel your client to come to his senses and settle this matter amicably.

Yours etc.,

Nigel Manning

‘Mmm.’ I said, ‘Short and sweet.’

‘Yes, a right little charmer, isn’t he? Well, looking at these emails, it looks like they don’t want to go through a divorce. Are you still minded too?’

‘Oh yes. I want to be free again.’

‘Very well, I will make a suitable response on your behalf. I would suggest you email them back and say that you will not be responding to any more emails, letters or phone calls and that you have instructed me to deal with this matter on your behalf.’

‘I’ll do that and after sending the emails, I’ll close that email account and get a new one.’

‘Yes, that’s an excellent idea. I’ve instructed the private investigator and she should be sending a prelim. report in the next few days. I’ll let you know when it arrives. There's something going on there, I can feel it in my water. Now, changing the subject, how are things going with you?’

‘Well, apart from alienating the doctors’ receptionist, okay, I suppose.’

‘You didn’t have a go at our lovely Candice, did you?’

‘Erm, sort of.’

‘Tell me all?’

For some reason, Katie was grinning from ear to ear as I told her about my run in with the Receptionist From Hell.

‘Blimey, girl, you fair went in with both feet there, didn’t you? Well she needs taking down a peg or two. I swear the doctors are scared stiff of her.’

‘Well, I’m not proud of what I did. It’s not like me really, to be like that.’

‘Stress, love, it comes out in strange ways. Get over it. She’s dished out some nasty comments over the years it’s brilliant that she gets it back sometimes. Anyway, I’ve gotta go and see a man about a horse so I’ll have to dash. Fancy a drink at lunch time down the Toad and Tart?’

‘Great; about one, okay?’

‘Yup, see you soon.’

I went out into the bright sunshine. My mood had lightened considerably. I was glad Katie was on my side and that things on the “Olivia-front” were starting to move in the right direction.

As I returned up the lane towards Miss Silverton’s cottage, I wondered what she was like. She had grown up as a boy until it was discovered that she was intersexed? Maybe we had something in common? I was about to find out.
__________________
* See Changes~17



To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

up
387 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Samantha Has A New Attitude!

jengrl's picture

I loved seeing Samantha's take no B.S attitude coming through. I think Dr. Marcia might give her a discount on the fee after that one. There is no doubt that the whole village will know about what she did to Candace. It seems that that jerk, Nigel, doesn't know who he is messing with now. I hope that the P.I finds enough to bury him. One has to wonder what will happen with Olivia if her father is no longer holding the purse strings over her. Great Chapter!

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

After the way

Samantha dealt with Candice i'm almost starting to feel sorry for Olivia and Nigel Obviously they are thinking that its Tom they have to deal with...Little do they know just whats in store for them!!!... But hey! lets be honest those two deserve everything that coming their way

Having said that, I for one would advise Samantha to be very wary of any dirty tricks that her soon to ex family might come up with...Who knows what dirty secrets they might want to protect!!!

Kirri

Candice

Candice is somewhat reminiscent of the character Mrs. Raven, played with evil brilliance by Geraldine McNulty, on the hilariously deranged British TV comedy, "My Hero."

Girl with 'Tude

terrynaut's picture

Yeah! I like how Samantha handled Candice.

Tammy was a star and Nigel seems to be remarkably similar to something that Candice might have once stepped on.

Thanks for another entertaining, well-written chapter. Please keep up the good work.

I really look forward to the meeting with Miss Silverton.

- Terry

Samantha Is No Pushover,

She will find in her the strength that she never had as a male. I can see her runing for Mayor, and winning.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Genitle Sea Breeze

Ooh, that sounds like fun!

Seriously (why?), another great chapter, Sue.

Samantha puts her foot down with a firm hand. Not easy, but your heroines are special people.

As usual, a cheering and amusing read.

Susie

Caution

RAMI

It is now obvious that Oliva and Nigel's attorney (Q.C.?) has an idea where Tom/Samantha is living, because they know where Katie's office is located. I am sure that they will hire a P.I. of their own to see what Samantha is up to. Samantha needs to be aware of this, but does not need to be paranoid.

RAMI

RAMI

Brilliant!

As usual!

Changes is one ...

... of the two series on this board that I read within 24 hours of posting.

Thank you. I love this story. I have no erudite analysis of why, I just do.

I suppose that in real life, Samantha is better off in the U.K. The legal system there has a feature that I wish could be implemented in the U.S., but the trial liars here (who pretty much control congress, from the inside AND out) whine that the poor would get no justice if `loser pays' took root on our shores. That is, of course, nonsense - there has always been pro-bono representation, and charitable legal funds for just causes. It's those who mis-use the courts to pursue specious actions (like a certain former vice-presidential candidate) for their own enrichment, that want the current system continue here.

Why bring this up? Because in the U.S., Samantha would have good reason to be paranoid. In many states, community property laws don't make such clean distinctions between what one brought into the marriage, or acquired by inheritance, and community property. Depending on the state of residence, everything Samantha has could be considered "community property". Moreover, with Daddy's resources, Olivia could ruin Samantha financially, merely by filing an endless stream of legal actions, that Samantha would have to pay to defend, with no recourse to recover her costs - even if she wins every one of them - unless, through a separate action (if she had any money left to pay for it) she could get a court to declare the previous actions "frivolous" and award damages. Unfortunately, the burden of "proof" that they were frivolous falls on the plaintiff - and the level of proof is rather high; merely having won the previous engagements isn't sufficient evidence, in itself, to make the case.

Again, thanks for the most enjoyable story,
Deni

I Think We're Going to Find......

I think we're going to find that Kate's investigator will find plenty of dirt on Nigel and Olivia, and that they will settle rather than be exposed possibly after some more drama though, given what Sue has done in other stories.

Candice was just special, wasen't she?

LOL. In reality, candice would have called the police, but it beggs the question as to
why, with all the nice people getting hit by cars every day, that this one has managed
to make it accross so many roads.

Good story, sue. Like the fact the Nigel's letter claiming all his many lawyers overlooks
the single judge.

Sarah Lynn

Perhaps the reason

Perhaps the reason that Candice has been so successful in avoiding being hit by cars is that the cars themselves are afraid to go near her!

Jenny

Jenny

Yes I agree Jenny

Candice needs to get back on the footpath, if you know what I mean??

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Caution

They may know where the attorney is at but they will need to figure out where (s)he is. I don't think that the friendly folks will be quite as friendly to a stranger turning up and asking lots of questions.

Then Again...

...it IS a tourist area. Kindness to strangers even if they're annoyingly inquisitive goes with the territory.

Eric

Samantha 1 Battle-axe 0

I just had time to read this brilliant chapter this morning before I had to scoot off to work and didn't have time to leave a comment then.

I know all about cats attacking your toes in bed, except my cat used to do when I was asleep! In the end I had to shut her out of the bedroom at night so I could sleep in safety.

It was great to see Samantha take on the old battle-axe at the surgery, and a bit of a shock to find that not everybody in the village is nice. Candice must be the exception that proves the rule.

Thank you Sue (and Gabi) for another excellent instalment.

Pleione

This new attitude

This new attitude that Samantha is showing is probably due to the fact that she is now beginning to live as the person she was always meant to be. As Tom, she was submissive; but, as Samantha, she feels free to let go and just be herself. And that person is a lot stronger than her former self. As Tom, she didn't feel truly comfortable with the person she was and was willing to bend to the will of others such as Olivia and Nigel just so she could better fit into the scheme of things. But, as Samantha, she is more willing to make the scheme of things adapt to her own will. Samantha is a lot stronger than Tom ever was; and, for that, she is much the better!

Thanks for such a delightful story, Sue!

Jenny

Jenny

Yes I agree Jenny, (this is becoming repetitious).

I believe the saying is that Samantha is becoming her own woman?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Lovely story

Susan

I have enjoyed reading this story and am always looking forward to more chapters. Last week I read "Working Girl" and I like how your characters change and grow as the story unfolds, they become real people with many different facets.

This holds true with Samantha and her encounter with Candice, we see her inner strength start to blossom. She is no longer willing to be quite as accommodating as she was. Perhaps there is something about Candice that reminds Samantha of Olivia, maybe her rudeness or demeanor, or maybe her general rudeness just set her off. Whatever the reason it caused Samantha to personally stand up for herself and I think it is part of Samantha's blossoming as a young woman.

Thank you for stories.

Jeri Elaine

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Wonderful Internet

joannebarbarella's picture

I'm in Bahrain and it really is wonderful to be able to follow this story from just about anywhere in the world. On the other hand I just composed this really witty, erudite and intelligent comment on this chapter (believe it or not) and it went and vanished on me!
So now all I can say is, I loved it as usual,
joanne

What it means

erin's picture

It means we stop the web server for a few seconds to let the database server catch up. It really is a few seconds, too, usually 8 to 20 seconds of downtime. If you do have a problem, count to 20 and hit the back button on your browser, this will usually take you back to the previous screen. Sometimes this can cause a double post of a comment but usually not of a story or blog post.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Changes 21

Waiting for Changes 21 to be puiblished was worth the wait. It looks as if Samantha is just getting into her stride and begging to enjoy life. The in the surgery was great, as case of light the blue touch paper and then run like hell, which is what Candice shoukd have done. Looking forward to the next episode.

Huggs

ELIZA


ELIZA

Go Samantha go!

Atta girl, love it!!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Ahhh... A twofer!

Ole Ulfson's picture

first the supercilious and haughty Candace followed by the unctuous Nigel. Samantha sure is having a special day. Yet she more than rises to the occasion.

She let Tammy set the tone of her day. Tammy was cuddly, playful and friendly: What more could one want?

You go Girl,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Just thought of something. . .

The fish and chips sound heaven-sent! What smells a bit "fishy" to me is that Sam's BMW had a bald tire and bad brakes to boot. As Sam's soon-to-be Ex is the one with car knowledge, she would probably be the one arranging service to the car, as I see it. His wife wouldn't be looking to cash in on Sam's inheritance (250K), would she?
Love your story!
Hugs,
Miriam