Changes~27

Printer-friendly version
‘Hi, Jo,’

‘Hello, Samantha; weather’s a lot better.’

‘Yes, I can’t get used to these quick changes.’

We hugged and then walked down to the quay and along to the lifeboat station...

Changes
Chapter 27
By Susan Brown

 
 


She
May be the reason I survive
The why and where for I'm alive
The one I'll care for through the rough and rainy years
Me I'll take her laughter and her tears
And make them all my souvenirs
For where she goes I got to be
The meaning of my life is
She...

Charles Aznnavour

Previously…

I was amazed at how quickly the weather could change here. I hoped and prayed that David and the crew were safe and also the people on the ship too.

Just then the ’phone burbled at me.

‘Hi, Sam, It’s Jo, they’re safe and on the way back. Other lifeboats got there before them and the freighter had run aground on the sandbank further west. No lives were lost.

‘Thank God.’

‘Yes, I’m so relieved. Look, as the weather’s improved, I’m going down to the lifeboat station to meet the lifeboat when she comes in. The girls are coming too, do you want to come?’

‘Yes, I’ll meet you at the end of my lane; when?’

‘Give me ten minutes, ’bye.’

I dressed quickly in jeans and top, added a quick flick of makeup, brushed my hair and I was ready. As I opened the door, Tammy, shot out without a goodbye or a thank you, and scampered of down the lane to Abby’s place. I wondered what Abby would think when I told her my story.

And now the story continues…

‘Hi, Jo,’

‘Hello, Samantha; weather’s a lot better.’

‘Yes, I can’t get used to these quick changes.’

We hugged and then walked down to the quay and along to the lifeboat station which was situated at the side of the harbour. As we arrived, there was quite a crowd waiting for the crew to return. We all nodded our welcomes and stared out to sea, waiting for the lifeboat to appear between the headlands of the cove.

The weather had improved so much that you would never have thought that there had been a storm such a short time ago. Apart from the pavements still being a bit wet in places and the sea being slightly choppy, it seemed like a normal summer’s day.

Kids and adults were on the beach, people were walking along the quay, the shops and cafés were busy, where a short while ago, the place had been deserted while out to sea a possible tragedy was being averted.

I held Jo’s hand, trying to comfort her while we waited. There was always a chance, even now, that something might go awry. The harbour looked deceptively calm but who knows how bad things were on the open sea outside. After about a quarter of an hour, the familiar orange superstructure of the lifeboat appeared around the headland and negotiated the narrow entrance into the harbour. The relief that I could feel around me was obvious.

Angel

Everybody waved and cheered as the boat approached and finally stopped at the bottom of the slipway.

Shortly afterwards the weary crew disembarked and trudged up the slip to where we were waiting. I must admit feeling a large lump in my throat as I watched loved ones hugging and kissing one another. The coxswain, a young woman about my age, was embraced by a man before she returned wearily to the lifeboat to help set her on her cradle before winching her up the slip into the boathouse.

I was somewhat surprised to see my car repairer, Mr Potts, among crew; he carried a tool box in his knarled hands and I guessed he was probably the boat's mechanic. I was tempted to ask him about my Beemer, but thought that it wasn’t really the appropriate time. As they winched her up the slipway I noticed that the lifeboat's name was RNLB Sir Tremaine Fairbairn and wondered if he might have been the formidable Lady Fairbairn's husband.

After saying ‘hi,’ to a decidedly tired-looking David, I slipped away and headed for home. This was no place for me at the moment–I was surplus to requirements now David was back with Jo and the two girls. I wondered how I would feel if a loved one of mine had to stop whatever they were doing and set off instantly, in reply to the maroon in all sorts of weather to rescue people from a raging sea. Although I knew I would go mad with worry, I would feel immensely proud of my beloved. It must be very similar for the families of fisherman who supplied the village and surrounding areas with a fresh catch. The hazards they often had to face to bring the catch ashore almost defy belief.

As I made my way up the lane, I wondered whether I should go and see Abby straight away.

Glancing down at myself–in jeans and a top–I realised that I didn’t look particularly alluring, so I decided to go home and change into something prettier.

Letting myself in, I went straight to the bedroom to decide what to wear. I wanted to look pretty for Abby or as pretty as possible, anyway. I still thought that I wasn’t that nice looking–a crisis of confidence maybe? Probably, anyway, it wouldn’t hurt to make the most of my limited assets, as it were. I searched in my wardrobe among the new clothes recently purchased and in seconds, I had most of the things out and on the bed.

After much soul searching and trying different things on, I decided to keep it simple; after all, I couldn’t really glam up at this time of day, so I ended up in a white cheesecloth peasant-style top and black knee length cotton skirt. Pretty, but not over the top, I thought.

I slapped on a bit of makeup, trying to use a bit of restraint to avoid the pancake look, I decided on a minimalist effect; just enough to cover the nooks and crannies and give my face a bit of colour. I just brushed my hair until it shone; it still had the shape that had been created in the salon and I felt it suited me.

After one final inspection of myself and, with not a little bit of dread, I smiled at my reflection, put on my black, low heeled shoes, picked up my bag and let myself out of the cottage.

As I walked up the lane leading to Abby’s cottage, I wondered how things would go. I still wasn’t one hundred percent sure how she felt about me and I didn’t want to make a fool of myself. Anyway, it was too late now as I had reached her garden gate. I pushed it open and strode up the path to her cottage.

As usual, there were several cats hanging about, either sleeping, licking themselves or hunting for things in the undergrowth. I swear I recognised Tammy’s rear end as she stalked some unseen pray in the tall grass.

As before, I was almost overpowered by the fragrance of the gloriously colourful flowers. It reminded me of Monet’s gardens at Giveny, the only thing missing were the Lily ponds.

The front door was open and I wondered if Abby ever closed it. With my knuckles, I knocked on the door and waited.

A few seconds later I heard a distant, ‘Come in,’ so I went in search of the voice.

Abby was out the back, sitting on a veranda. I hadn’t really seen much of her back garden and smiled when I saw that there was a Lily pond. But I was more attracted to Abby sitting on a garden chair with a kitten fast asleep on her lap. She smiled as she saw me and I realised that it was a smile of genuine pleasure. My heart flipped as I saw her pretty face looking up at me.

‘Hi.’ I said; my voice a bit hoarse for some reason.

‘Hello, Samantha, that’s a pretty top.’

‘Oh, just something I dragged on.’

‘I bet. Well it’s nice to see you. Come and sit down. I’ll throw this urchin off in a moment and then go and get us a drink.’

‘Can I do that? The kitten looks so comfortable there and so do you.’

She looked at the cat and stroked it gently.

‘Mmm, she is a sweetie, isn’t she? Okay, if you go into the kitchen and look in the fridge, there’s a jug of ginger beer in there, the glasses are on the shelf.’

I went into the kitchen and poured the drinks into some glasses and took them outside. The moment I returned, the kitten woke up, stretched and jumped off Abby’s lap.

Abby took the proffered drink and had a sip. She was looking very pretty in a light blue smock and leggings. Talking about leggings, her legs were lovely…

‘So, how are you?’ she asked as I felt myself go red. Had I been starring at her?

‘Oh, f—f—fine thanks. I went down to the quay with Jocasta to wait for the lifeboat to come back.’

‘All safe?’

‘Yes.’

‘Thank God. I wish I was brave enough to do what they do.’

‘Amen to that.’ I said.

I took a sip of the sweet peppery drink and winced slightly as it went down my throat. I had forgotten how potent it was!

‘Well, Samantha, it’s lovely to see you again.’

‘Yes.’

I was not very conversational as I was feeling very nervous. Abby must have noticed.

‘What's wrong, Sam?’

I looked at her and wondered if I had the strength to say what needed to be said. I looked at her and swallowed.

‘Abby?’

‘Yes.’

I took a deep breath.

‘I—I may be barking up the wrong tree, and getting the wrong signals but…but–look we’ve only met once, well twice if you include now, but I—I.’

‘Yes?’

‘You’re not helping here are you? I—I have…’

‘Feelings for me?’

I looked up from staring at my glass and into her wonderful liquid eyes.

I nodded.

She smiled and then reaching over put her hand on top of mine.

‘Same here. It’s daft really, two grown women with a love at first sight moment. It is love isn’t it?’

I nodded, not really believing what I was hearing.

‘As soon as I saw you, Sam, I thought that you were special. Before you said a word, I could feel this sort of attraction. Did you feel the same?’

‘Y—yes I did. I saw you and then I—I was smitten.’

It was nice having her warm hand over mine. The connection we had made felt strong and vibrant. I considered not telling her about me. I didn’t want to spoil the moment but I couldn’t live a lie the way Olivia obviously had with me. I had to tell her everything, even though it might mean the finish of something that hadn’t even started.

I withdrew my hand and she looked at me. She could see that I was upset.

‘What’s wrong, have I done something?’

‘N—no, it’s not you, it’s me. Before we get in too deep, I need to tell you about me. The last thing I want to do is hurt you.’

‘I don’t understand–’

‘Let me say this, while I feel brave enough. I will understand if you want nothing to do with me afterwards but please hear me out first.’

‘Okay, but it can’t be that terrible.’

She sat back, a frown on her pretty face, no doubt wondering what terrible things I might reveal.

I nursed my glass as I spoke, neither wanting nor daring to look at her.

‘There isn’t any easy way to say this, Abby. I may look like a girl, b—but, I—I was born a boy.’

‘So was I, sort of…’

Please let me finish. I was born a boy and grew up as one. I never felt happy with myself and have believed as long as I remember that something was not quite right with me. I began wearing girls’ clothes almost before I stopped crawling, it was a sort of compulsion, I suppose. My parents tried hard to make me happy as a boy, but I think they realised that I was not going end up as a man even though I was in denial myself, thinking that I was a just a crossdresser.’

I stopped for a moment and swallowed; this was so much harder than I thought. I daren’t look at her. She wasn’t saying anything. Was that good or bad? I took a deep breath and continued.

‘When I married Olivia, I was so happy, as she seemed to accept me as such. As I just said, I thought I was a crossdresser too, as I wanted to have successful marriage and have babies and lead a normal life. The sex was good, great really, but deep inside, I suppose I realised that what I had wasn’t what I wanted. Olivia at this time had grown cool toward me and I now know that she had a succession of lovers. Also, she’d had a couple of abortions before I knew her, so you can see that my marriage was near enough dead. Then I caught her in bed in my house having sex with another man. I walked out and came here. I have since found that she is pregnant again and that makes me feel so sad.’

My mouth had gone dry so I took a sip of my drink, still not daring to look at her. She was very quiet so I had no idea how she was taking it.

‘Since I’ve been here, I’ve met some wonderful people and made some important decisions too. I realise that I am a girl and always have been. I intend having SRS and become as much of a woman as possible. I no longer want to be Tom in any way shape or form and I want to live here permanently, do some painting, and open a gallery. Most importantly of all, I am divorcing Olivia and want to draw a line under my old life. Now I know that I haven’t expressed myself very well, but I really needed to tell you about me before things went too far and–and––’

I couldn’t hold it in any longer. I dropped my glass, put my head in my hands and broke down.

I heard her move, was she leaving me, not able to face someone like me. Had I failed…?

Then, I drew my breath in as I felt her arms around me and through my tears, I looked up into her face. She was crying too. She didn’t have to say anything because I knew instantly that she accepted me for who, and what, I was–a woman. Our lips met and I could taste the saltiness of our combined tears as we cemented our love, a love that I dearly hoped would last the test of time.



To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

up
432 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bless you

... and hang in there Sue.

Ahhhh, Love ! :)

Kim

Wonderfull!!!!!

Fantastic! Great! Marvelous! Far Freakin' Out! Woo-Hoo! :-))))!!!!!!


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Beautiful!

This is beautiful poetry Sue.

"Then, I drew my breath in as I felt her arms around me.
And through my tears.
I looked up into her face.
She was crying too.
She didn’t have to say anything.
Because I knew instantly that she accepted me for who, and what, I was.
A woman.
Our lips met.
And I could taste the saltiness of our combined tears as we cemented our love.
A love that I dearly hoped would last the test of time".

You are gifted, thank you for allowing me to share this with you!

LOL
RITA

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Very Powerful

Frank's picture

If the story ended right here, it would work...however I DO want lots more please :)

Wow!

HUGS

Frank

Hugs

Frank

A Moment...

A moment in time, so sweet, so precious. A time that she will remember, love's first taste, their first kiss. Thank you for letting us share something so unique and special. I look forward to Samantha's blossoming into a young woman. Mary

Love Cliffhanger

terrynaut's picture

I know this latest chapter probably won't be considered to be a cliffhanger but it is for me. It's a cliffhanger of love! I wanted to read more. It was such a touching scene and I wanted to see how it played out. I shall just have to pout until the next chapter.

I like that the lifeboat got back okay. That must be a hard life. The lifeboat crew sound somewhat like police officers really.

Anyway, thanks for another grand chapter. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Lifeboat Crew

RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution) crew members are all unpaid volunteers who are willing to drop whatever they are doing at a moment's notice as soon as they get a call-out and lay their own lives on the line to save those in distress on the sea. They all have normal jobs, and in small communities—like Penmarris—employers are willing and proud to let staff go the instant the maroon goes up. They are not really like police officers, except perhaps, Special Constables who are part-time volunteers.

The RNLI receives no money from the government, relying entirely on the generosity of the public for its funds

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

To find out more about the RNLI go to: http://www.rnli.org.uk/

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Yep!

I'm a Shoreline member of the RNLI and have been for many years. I used to sail obsessively; mostly reservoir dinghy racing but 'big boat' cruises most years, so I am acutely aware of the great work they do. I know I used to fly my RNLI flag as high up the mast as I could get when cruising offshore so that it showed for as long as possible as we sank beneath the briny :0) See? I was hoping for preferential treatment whilst knowing they showed the same dedication to all seafarers, even amateurs like me.

Good stuff, Sue. I'm anything but a cat lover but I love your story none the less.

Geoff

Cats arent pets their Aliens- Be Nice to them please!!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Jellicle)
Jump to: navigation, search
The Jellicle cats, or simply the Jellicles, are a type of feline mentioned in T. S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.

Introduced in his poem Song of the Jellicles, they were originally depicted by Eliot as common black-and-white cats whose daytime nature is peaceful, pleasant and restful — but who possess an active love of nightlife. Specifically, Eliot mentions that they like to gather at an event called the "Jellicle Ball".

They are featured in Cats, the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical based on Eliot's work, in which a subplot surrounds the disappearance of the Jellicle patriarch Old Deuteronomy. The names are taken from T. S. Eliot's poem "The Naming of Cats", and are used for many of the ensemble characters in the musical. In contrast with the poem, Lloyd Webber's Jellicles possess many kinds of coat-patterns, diverse personalities and individual talents. Also detailed on this page are Chorus characters from the musical Cats whose names are from other works by T. S. Eliot, or not directly derived from the poems.

The name jellicle comes from a previously unpublished poem by Eliot entitled "Pollicle Dogs and Jellicle Cats", where jellicle cats is a corruption of dear little cats and pollicle dogs of poor little dogs.[1] It also appears in the musical Cats in the song "Jellicle Song for Jellicle Cats".

The Jellicle names are also very popular as pet names.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Volunteer Fire Department

terrynaut's picture

Okay. I admit I was a bit rash in my comparison. Upon further reflection, the RNLI sounds much more like a volunteer fire department. I really don't have time to check out every web page but thanks.

And thanks, Gabi, for editing and keeping this wonderful story going.

- Terry

I'm...

...bawlin' mah eyes out here! T__T And giggling my head off. Thank you! And way to go Sam! ^__^

-Liz

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Abby's story

Abby was born intersexed, that is mentioned a couple of chapters back (I don't remember which one). She is somebody who can appreciate what Sam has been through. These two were made for each other.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Another Great Chapter

RAMI

Samantha has found that she has a potential true love in Abby. I hope she is as fully accepting of Samantha's desires.

Thanks for including a picture of the RNLI boat. It appears that the crew includes both men and women. How long have women been accepted in the sercice?

RAMI

RAMI

Women as RNLI crew

http://tinyurl.com/l6vnfd

The RNLI has about 4,800 volunteers across the UK and Republic of Ireland, but only 340 are women.

Look up the name "Grace Darling" together with RNLI.

She's all over the place.

The Grace Darling Story

You can download the Grace Darling Fact sheet from this page.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Sam And Abby

Are a sweet couple, much better than what Sam had before.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

About the only woman


"Sam And Abby Are a sweet couple, much better than what Sam had before."

About the only woman I can think of that would NOT be better than Olivia is Medusa! Perhaps Hera as well!

Jenny

Jenny

Tears are rolling down my

Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write this!
It's so beautiful that these two have such great feelings for each other!
Can't wait for the next installment of this eonderful story.

Diane

Ditto

Indeed! Me, too.

More kudos to Sue, who doesn't really need them, but deserves them nonetheless. Wow.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

I need a hug now

Sue, you've moved me to tears again, but this time it's happy tears. I need a hug now but will have to settle for a coffee instead. The idea of adopting a cat has suddenly become much more appealing.

Susie

Long distance secret technique!

::GLOMP!!!::

Feel better?

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Such a boat; such a pair.

When I saw the pic of the life boat, I immediately thought of EM Forester and one of his first books about British Naval action in WWII in the North Sea. He was on one of those ghastly Corvettes with the open Bridge. I can't imagine how they survived. The life boat is a far cry from those days.

I had rather expected that the two girls would get on very well. I do hop it lasts. This is a very lovely story, full of feeling.

M'salama

Khadija

That was the perfect

That was the perfect way to end this chapter, IMO. Samantha should have realized that, if anyone could accept her as she is and still truly love her, it would be Abby. It's nice to see that Sam's instincts about how Abby felt about here were right on.

There are, I'm sure, some who might feel this is too soon after the breakup of her marriage to Olivia; but, as this story has unfolded, it has become apparent that her love for Olivia had been slowly dying in the 10 months or so preceding that fateful day when she came home to discover the truth that Olivia had been cheating on her. At that moment, any love she might have had for Olivia died a quick, albeit painful, death.

Thank you, Sue, for yet another delightful chapter in this wonderful story!

Jenny

Jenny

Wonderful story

Sue, This is a really wonderful story. It allowed me to laugh and cry. Emotions are the best part. Hugs, Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

sam and abbie

yayyyyyyyyy

Samantha

Lovely!

I'm so glad to finally see those two getting together! Wonderful chapter Sue!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I had my hopes

I had my hopes for how this scene would play out Sue - and you have surpassed them all - Wonderful !!!

And the best bit is where it says "To Be Continued..."

Pleione

Amazing

Sue,

I am just amazed at how wonderful you are at creating written images and conveying the associated emotions in an uplifting way. I loved how this installement. I'm so happy Sam is experiening lots of good karma. Sam and Abby appear to made for each other. Was Tammy acting as match maker?

The only down side is that Olivia and company remind me of my EX. Thoughts I'd like to forget.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perceptions.~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

At Last!!!!!

Pamreed's picture

It is nice to finnally read what I knew was going to happen!!!
As many people here have said I had tears in my eyes as I read the meeting of Abby and Sam!! Now the only question is whose place do they settle in!! Thank you Sue for your constant quaility in your work!! You make it seem real!!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Sue, Thanks again for another great chapter

like everbody else who comment l am very happy to see these two together , Sue l was wondering if your gonna open the next chapter with Samantha & Abby in bed after a night of makin's sweet sweet love?

So sweet

Thank you Sue I can't tell you how much i enjoyed reading that chapter and it ended in just the way i wanted it too....Now i'm just hoping that Olivia does'nt in someway spoil it for Samantha!!!

Kirri

Thank you, Sue!

Thank you, Sue, for this wonderful story!
Reading this new chapter was the highlight of my day.

Kris

Reality is a nice concept - but it doesn't hold up to close examination.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Pass The Kleenex

joannebarbarella's picture

I hope you're getting a decent royalty, Sue, as I sit here wiping my eyes and blowing my nose. Ohh! So Romantic! I've gone all squishy inside.

The pic of the lifeboat is a nice touch. It looks so brave, but they look really tiny and frail when they're out in mountainous seas and hurricane winds.

Now, don't you dare think you can get away without dealing suitable vengeance to Olivia and Nigel in the divorce stakes, or leaving us without a painting of Lady Fairbairn's dog and taking us to the consummation of Abby and Samantha's romance. You still have a lot of work to do, not even mentioning the forthcoming visit of Susan Hurst to Penmarris on her triumphal tour as the first girl to play football for England,
Joanne

Bit disappointed

I am a bit disappointed in this story. It has turned into one of those "no body knows I am a man and everyone accepts me as a woman" type things. Another male to female transsexual that has no bleeding male characteristics at all even though the person is an adult and had testosterone in their blood and was able to quite easily get an erection and perform as a man.

The story did not start out this way. Tom was scared of someone seeing him as a man dressed as a woman. If he has been dressing all those years and looked in the mirror and saw a no brow ridge, no dark beard, no wide shoulders, wide hips, narrow waist, no Adam's apple woman looking back, why was he so bloody worried. It is because it turn into another "no one knows" story.

This story could have been so much more powerful. When Sam told Jo she was a man, I fully expected Jo to reply, "Dear, I already know that". Instead we get the I would never have known bit. Sad, really sad.

Aaaahh! :)

Sam and Abby have now confessed their love for each other, and Sam's gained another party to her secret. Given the increasing numbers of people in the village that know, it will soon be an open secret - and from what we've seen of the parties already privy to this information, the majority of the village will accept her for who she is.

Which will destroy Olivia's main argument in the divorce. Especially as Sam's savings date from before the marriage, they're likely to be protected, so Olivia's got the most to lose.

After all, the village already accept a gay male couple, and an intersexed girl who used to be a boy - so why not a transgendered girl, or a relationship between the village's two "special" girls?

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Made for eachother..

...... but where's tom the crossdresser gone????? Was she ever that? .....perhaps I'm reading now about someone who's not at all like me........ perhaps never was?

"Love"

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Yeah!

The truth shall set you free...

Ole Ulfson's picture

So lovely and romantic. I've got a big lump in my throat. Sometimes I'm such a girl!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!