Changes~25

Printer-friendly version
After Katie dropped the bombshell about Olivia, I said I’d like to go for a walk to clear my head.


Changes
Chapter 25
By Susan Brown

 
 


I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream...

ABBA/ Benny Goran Br Andersson, Bjoern K. Ulvaeus

Previously…

‘–But she said–’

‘–That she was a virgin?’

‘Yes.’ I replied, rather lamely.

‘I’m sorry, Samantha, she wasn’t: in fact she had an abortion when she was fifteen, and another at eighteen.’

‘Oh my God,’ I said putting my head in my hands.

‘In addition to that, she’s pregnant again. I take it the child isn’t yours?’

I looked up, tears in my eyes and just shook my head.

And now the story continues…

After Katie dropped the bombshell about Olivia, I said I’d like to go for a walk to clear my head. It was plain to me that she was concerned, but I told her I would be alright and just said, ‘goodbye.’ I walked along the quay and down the steps to the beach. There were crowds of people there with their children playing on the sand and splashing about or paddling in the water.

There are some rocks on the far side of the east beach, under the cliff. The tide was out and I vaguely noticed some sand in between the large rocks. I just walked through to see what was on the other side and there it was–a tiny bay sheltered by yet more rocks.

I made my way to the back of the diminutive beach and sat down with my back against a warm rock, smoothed by countless centuries of being battered by the sea.

Sitting there, I could envisage that I might be almost anywhere in the world. No one was about and apart from the distant happy sounds of the children on the other beach; I was quite alone.

The sight of those children made me feel rather sad; I had always wanted children and yet Olivia, who had a chance to give life, had chosen the abortion route. I had a feeling that she would do the same with the child in her belly now and that saddened me even more. I wondered why, if she was going to have sex so freely, why she couldn’t at least use contraception if she didn’t want to have a child?

What I found to be most hurtful was that she didn’t want to have a baby with me. Was I that bad a person, just to be used by her and then discarded like a plaything that had lost its appeal?

It was peaceful here; the sea in front of me–a deep azure blue–contrasting against the golden sand and grey rocks, inevitably my thoughts returned to Olivia and how I had never really understood her. Maybe she was shocked that I had decided to divorce her–that meek and mild Tom would never dream of doing such a thing. Well, Olivia, Samantha’s made of sterner stuff. I realised I had made mistakes and not a few, but I would from now on–as the song goes–do it my way. The words might be slightly out but the sentiment holds true.

I think I will always be a kind-hearted person; I could never do what Olivia has done to me. It just isn’t in my nature to be nasty to anyone–except a certain doctor’s receptionist. From now on I wouldn’t be walked over by anyone.

I had found a new life in Penmarris and I would my best to make the most of it.

Then there was Abby–

I would have to make my feelings known to her. I had a feeling that she felt the same way as I did, unless I had got the signals totally wrong. But she had the right to know about me and what I was–in transition. No lies, half-truths or deception. If she couldn’t accept me for who I was, then there would be no future for us and I would just have to accept it.

After about half an hour, I could see the tide coming in and as I didn’t want to be cut off, I stood up, brushed the sand from the back of my skirt and moved through the rocks to the main beach again. I went down to the water and with my sandals off; I strolled along the shore with my feet at the water’s edge. It was a pleasant feeling having the wet sand ooze between my toes as the water washed over my feet. I stood still and gazed out to sea for a moment and my feet sank slightly.

‘Hello.’

I looked up and there was Jocasta.

‘Hi, Jo.’

‘So, erm, how are you?’

‘Katie’s been talking then. I thought she was supposed to keep the things I say to her secret.’

‘Oh dear, feeling a bit down? Katie rang me and said you were rather upset. She worries about you, you know, and so do I.’

‘You don’t have to worry about me, I’ll be okay.’

‘So that stuff running out of your eyes and down your cheeks is just a coincidence then?’

I wiped my hand across my eyes. I thought I was supposed to be strong now.

‘If you don’t want to talk, I don’t mind. You know I’ll always be here for you. After all, you helped me overcome my terror of hairdressing salons and that’s a biggie in my eyes.’

I gazed at her and felt a strong desire to unload.

‘Can we talk back at my place?’

‘Of course.’

Ten minutes later, with the inevitable mugs of tea, we sat in my sitting room while I spilled all that Katie had told me about Olivia’s infidelity, abortions and the fact that she was pregnant.

‘You poor love,’ she said, giving me a hug as I cried on her shoulder. ‘What a class one cow,’ she continued.

‘Jo! and you a vicar’s wife, too,’ I said laughing through my tears.

‘I could have said something an awful lot stronger. You’d be surprised at the words you learn at Sunday School. Now how do you feel about all this?’

‘Betrayed, a bit of a fool; that she took me for a ride, useless, unworthy and several other things unprintable and unmentionable.’

‘Do you still love her?’

‘No. The person I thought I loved seems to have been a figment of my imagination. I—I’m so upset about the way I was duped, taken in or whatever by her. I don’t think she ever loved me. I was just happy to have found someone who accepted me for what I was, or what I thought I was–a cross-dresser. At first she was fine with it and even came to some meetings of the group I belonged to, but gradually she seemed to go off me. I wondered if it might have been something I did, but now I don’t think it was me; she has serious issues and has had for a long time.’

‘It sounds very like it. You can’t blame yourself; she entered the marriage knowing everything about you. I don’t know what her agenda is, but you must stop thinking that it might have something to do with you. Try to draw a line under the bad times and move forward. You’ve got friends here and a delightful place to live. You’ve got your art and that means you can express yourself in a way that you haven’t been able to since before your marriage.’

Listening to her, I knew she made perfect sense, but I couldn’t shrug off the sense of loss I had for all those wasted years.

After Jo had left, I pottered around, tidying things up and finally opening the packages that had arrived. Almost all the things I needed were there, and only a few things were left to come later. Now I had the tools I needed to start painting properly again.

I put my thoughts about Olivia on the back burner. Having a chat and a good cry with Jocasta had helped me feel a bit better. As she said–I have to look forward, not back.

It was late afternoon, and I had just finished drinking my umpteenth mug of tea, when I heard a bang on the front door.

Wiping my hands on my apron, I went downstairs and opened the door.

My jaw dropped, because there in front of me, larger than life was Lady Fairbairn. I nearly curtsied–she had that effect on me. She was wearing a hat with some sort of dead bird on it and I suppose, because the weather was still rather warm, no coat just sensible if severe white blouse buttoned up to the neck, tweed skirt, industrial strength stockings and sensible shoes.

‘I don’t have much time; my presence is required at the church.’

‘P—please come in.’

‘Didn’t you hear me, gel, no time–church! I understand from Mrs Gotobed that you’re a painter?’

‘Erm, yes.’

‘You aren’t one of those modern painters are you? The sort where you can’t tell what the hell the subject is?’ She said it as if it was some sort of disease.

‘No, I paint traditionally, I have been told that my works reflect life.’

‘Then I’ll take a chance. I wish to commission you to paint Fifi.’

‘Fifi?’

‘Yes, Fifi, are you deaf? You will come up to the house at two o'clock on Thursday afternoon for the first sitting. Can’t abide unpunctuality, so don't be late.’

‘I’m sure that I can manage that.’

‘Good.’ She looked me up and down and then said, ‘Are you sure you can paint?’

‘Yes ’m–I mean, M’lady.’

‘Hmm; well I won’t pay a penny over  £5000 and I expect a lifelike portrait; can you do it?’

‘I believe so, M’lady.’

‘Very well, I must be off–’

‘M’ lady?’

‘Yes, yes, what is it? Spit it out, gel.’

‘How old is your daughter?’

‘Daughter, daughter? I have no daughter, silly gel.’

‘But, Fifi–’

‘Fifi’s my dog, everybody knows that; are you mad–or worse, been drinkin’? Can’t abide gels drinkin’. Lager louts most of them. In my day I’d have flogged ’em around the village. Mmm, I hope that I haven’t made a mistake by commissionin’ you. Anyway–2.30 sharp. Don’t be late.’

She had said 2.00 before but no way was I going to argue with her!

With that she sailed off down the lane resembling a stately galleon under full tops’ls and t’gallants. I was left shell-shocked and suddenly aware that the multitude of seagulls normally present, strangely were absent–very odd. Then it occurred to me that they might take the dead bird on her hat as some sort of threat.

Angel

I went back upstairs, pleased that I had received my first commission but wondering what I had agreed to do.

I had a bit of a think about what I would like for my tea. Not fancying cooking and being extremely partial to haddock and chips, I went out and walked down the lane to the fish and chip shop. My nose alone could have guided me as the heady smells wafted through the air. I was second in the queue and was almost instantly being served the food of gods.

Sitting on a bench seat down on the quay, I was surprised how hungry I was. The cod and chips were lovely (haddock was off). I was about to put a salty chip in my mouth when my hand stopped in mid air.

Five thousand pounds?

The penny had dropped; Lady F was willing to pay five thousand pounds to have a portrait of her pooch.

‘She must be barking mad,’ I thought and then giggled.

Then, my mobile warbled: it was Dawn!

‘Hi, Dawn.’

‘Hello, sis, how are you?’

‘Well the day started a bit nasty but things are perking up.’

‘Anything you want to talk about?’

‘Not over the ’phone.’

‘Okay, honey; look, the reason I’m ringing is that I want to drag hubby and the kids over to Penmarris at the weekend. I need to work on them and use my feminine wiles to persuade them all that a move to the village would be a beneficial. Would you like to meet up?’

‘That would be great. Do you want to come here and then we can decide what to do.’

‘Sounds perfect. Eleven do you?’

‘That will be great. I can’t wait to see you all.’

‘Okay, honey, see you Saturday.’

‘Bye.’

I put the ’phone down and smiled. It would be great to see Adrian, Hayley and Timothy, although I did wonder what they would think of me; let’s face it, I don’t look much like Tom anymore, do I?



To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape.

up
422 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

THat Lady Galleon;)

Seems to be quite a charactr! I'd like to see what she'd do to Olivia. But I think that her dad will side with Sam. He sounds as if he was duped, too. And when her fetus proves Tom's innocence, her head will roll.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A Fan

[email protected] I am a fan of all your works . I can only hope that you have not forsaken football girl .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

great Images

Sue,

You are an painter in prose. The images you create in this story form vivid impressions in my mind. The scene at the cove was peaceful and calming after the serious revelations. Lady Fairbairn's appearance was such a comic relief. You painted the experience of encountering Lady Fairbairn beautifuly in words.

This story shows a balance between seriouness and frivolity. Great writing. looking forward to more.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perceptions.~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

A whole new person!

"Maybe she was shocked that I had decided to divorce her—that meek and mild Tom would never dream of doing such a thing. Well, Olivia, Samantha’s made of sterner stuff."

I've been saying for several chapters that Samantha is a completely different person than Tom had been; and this quote proves it! Even she herself is beginning to realize this fact. I'm sure that Olivia will try to claim that the baby is Tom's in an attempt to get him to come back; but, as a friend of mine likes to say, "The chances of that are slim and none; and Slim just got on the noon stage out of Dodge"!

Things are definitely looking up for Samantha. Here she's only been in Penmarris a short while and already she's been commissioned, at a handsome fee, to render her first portrait! When word that Lady Fairbairn has hired her as an artist, others in town will be flocking to her door seeking her tanlents for portraits, I do believe.

Also, it looks as if her sister Dawn and her family might soon be joining this delightful seaside community. It's fairly clear that Samantha's sister has fully accepted her. I have a feeling that the husband and children will as well, once they've had the chance to adjust to the new Sam!

Jenny

Jenny

Good For Samantha!

jengrl's picture

It was great that Samantha got her first commission. If all goes well, she will gain a reputation around Penmarris and it will lead to more work. I was sad about her sorrow over that stupid soon to be ex wife throwing away a chance to be a mother. I guess knowing what Samantha knows now, Olivia would have been a horrible mother anyway. She definitely has a lot of problems.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Wow, five thousand pounds

Wow, five thousand pounds for a portrait of her dog?! That sounds like an awful lot! Another wonderful chapter Sue!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Perhaps it is ...

... when you realise Lady Muck hasn't seen any examples of Samantha's work. My brother paints and sells landscape watercolours but I'm not sure he'd be any good painting a dog :)

Good that Samantha has begun to make a living by her art and also that she will in all likelihood be opening a gallery next door to the object of her affection's pottery.

Geoff

Now a good outcome

would be for Olivia to have the baby and let Sam adopt it - but Olivia's not shown any common sense yet.

Lady F. seems to be quite a character; I see much fun and confusion ahead.

Great as usual, Sue.

Susie

Sue, great stuff!!

boy, Sue you sure can bring the drama can you? well anyway is Olivia's pregnant with Samantha's child I don't know? (I'm thinking not) but then again who knows? it's great that Samantha got her first painting gig even thou the old bat have not seen her paintings (I don't think) and it will also be interesting to see what her sister fam's will think of Samantha (I can"t wait)
can anybody tell me what five thousand pounds is in america dollars? ( is it five thousand dollars?) thanks

Not Samantha's Child

She (Samantha) said right at the beginning of the story that she hadn't had sex with Olivia for 10 months.

At current rates you'd get $1.65 for each British pound that you had; so, five thousand pounds would be about $8,256.

You beat me to it, cbee

I just had a look back at Chapter 1 and saw the bit about 10 months as well.

I was wondering when Lady F would sail back into view. Some may think her character is a bit OTT, but I occasionally see similar examples when out shopping somewhere like Guildford. The language is spot on, and the commanding, no nonsense attitude typical of the breed! Pity the poor shop assistant who doesn't have exactly the right item in stock.

Lots to look forward to now - painting pooches, visit from Dawn and family - and mustn't forget to check on her kittens, and Abby of course!

Pleione

Well it might

be a little strained when Adrian Hayley and Timothy first meet Samantha but surely Dawn would have warned them to expect someone who looked slightly different!!!

It was nice to see once again how quick Jocasta was to come and comfort Samantha and to put into words what pretty much all of us think of Olivia,And it must also give Samantha a real buzz to know just how much her new friends care about her.

Hugs Kirri

to cbee

to cbee its true what you said about Samatha and Olivia's not having sex in the last 10 months but i would not be surpise that she is gonna claim that's it's his. thanks for telling me the amount

A Girl Named Fifi?

terrynaut's picture

I've never heard of anyone naming their daughter, Fifi. Fifi has always been a dog's name from my experience. I don't know what Samantha was thinking but I hope no one has named their child Fifi. Yikes!

Finding out about Olivia's past can only be a good thing. Sure, it upset Samantha, but realizing that she loved an illusion should make it easier to move forward. For some odd reason, when Samantha went to have a sit down on the little beach, the ABBA song, S.O.S., ran through my mind. It's my favorite ABBA song and I think it was appropriate for the scene.

Thanks for another grand chapter. Please keep up the good work -- both you and your trusty editor.

- Terry

Fifi…

…is the French nursery form of Josephine, according to The Oxford Dictionary of First Names. It goes on to say that it is used occasionally in the English-speaking world, but nowadays it has mostly frivolous connotations.

Can't you just hear Napoleon Bonaparte saying, “Not tonight, Fifi.”

Gabi.

“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

People are complex as Samantha is finally learning

Lady Muckity Muck comes off as a pushy bit** but others have told Samantha she is really a good person under the bluster.

A quality portrate of the dog, Fifi , remember many top artists in the past painted pets along with horses, children and the like, will make her career. The Lady must have major connections and the commisions wil pour in. Get your stuff back from Olivia at once, Samantha, any artworks of yours will soon be valuable.

I'd make sure daddy dearest knows Olivia is pregnant and out of her marrage. The divorce will then be quick, VERY generous and followed by a shotgun wedding for Oliva to the most likely father assuming she doesn't know who it is. Dad will not chance another abortion leaking to the press.

I thnik the woman Samantha saw in Olivia is there, the understanding, loving one, unfortunately the lying/manipulkative/controliing/adultress/nympho is too. If daddy had been a better father or gotten remarried young she might have had the guidance to become a beter person. Daddy bailed her out too many times too young and she never learned bad choice have consequences. She reminds me of a semi feral farm cat, as likely to ber loving as she is to srcatch and bike you.

Samatha is right, she must TELL Abby. She may agree to what she seems to wan't, that is a family AND to become a woman. Don't sell yourself short Samantha

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Hope things are better for you , Sue.

John in Wauwatosa

Thank You, Sue

This delightful story you have created continues to surprise and please everyone. I just love the way you describe people and the way you make unexpected things keep happening.

I only have one small complaint - this is so definitely a CORNISH village, why did you try to make it in DEVON?

Briar

Briar

Lady Fairbain was only there for one reason which you all missed

Jocasta and Katie (the guardian Angles) have informed Lady Fairbain of her problems and she is, in her way supporting Samantha, I'm sure she will have a long talk with her!
(in my deduction Miss Marple?)

Fifi is a flurf (whatever that means), Its a filly way of fooling Famantha into coming Fover to have a Ferious Falk?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Accents And Mannerisms

joannebarbarella's picture

I came from a working-classbackground and we're talking about growing up in the 1940s-50s.In those days the social divide was quite wide. People with upper-class accents and public school mannerisms were regarded by us kids as twits.
Then I started work, in the Engineering Department of the Railways, and most of the bosses and middle-management were ex-Royal Engineers and spoke(I say, old chap!) and acted like toffs. What I soon found out was that there was absolutely no connection between ability and accent or manner. Those men knew their stuff and were actually very kind to me when they found that I wanted to learn. I'm sure Lady F. will prove to be the same towards Samantha.
Joanne

From hideous news...

Ole Ulfson's picture

to Samantha's first commission in her new home town and in anticipation of her sister's move: You've whipsawed us a bit in this chapter.

Thank you. You keep your readers on their toes.

I think Samantha has a patron.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Storms

I have missed one metaphor that Sue has put plainly in front of us. There are more "storm-tossed seas" in a 2 meter radius around Samantha than are out at sea around Penmarris Cove and many more are probably ahead. Thanks, Sue, as this ties Samantha much more deeply to the Cove than I have thought before. It is definitely her true home.

Pippa NewHouse