Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 772.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 772
by Angharad
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

“I’m concerned about Livvie biting someone,” I said to Simon. He half grunted and half snored a response. We’d been lying in bed for about half an hour and I couldn’t sleep. I didn’t want it generally known that Livvie was a biter, I had visions of her like David Copperfield, wearing a placard saying, ’I bite’.

Where did that come from? I haven’t thought of the book for about ten years when I had to do it for English Lit. Ultimately, it had a happy ending, so I lived in hopes and turned over to try and sleep. The only problem was Simon had rolled onto his back and was now snoring at mach five. I lifted the bed clothes and he rolled onto his side and peace reigned. I snuggled down and was drifting off when the lawn mower started again. Dammit. I poked him in the ribs – if I couldn’t sleep, why should he?

“Wassup?” he asked sleepily.

“You were snoring,” I complained to him.

“Yeah, okay,” he replied and immediately fell back to sleep, rolled onto his back and started again. I wearily accepted defeat and pulling on my dressing gown went downstairs and curled up on the sofa. Which is where I was when Tom got up to make himself some coffee.

“Whit ye’re daein’ doon here?” he asked, “ye havenae been fechtin’ wi’ Simon again hae ye?”

“No, Daddy, I haven’t --- he was snoring so loudly I’m surprised you couldn’t hear him.”

“Och no, I sleep the sleep o’ the just, clear conscience, that’s me.”

“Like all psychopaths,” I muttered irritated.

“Whit’s that aboot cycle paths?”

“We could do with one out this way.”

“Aye we could, but whit’s that got tae dae wi’ Simon?”

“Nothing why?”

“Och, if I live to be a thoosan’, I’ll never understand wumen.”

“I could say the same about men, Daddy.”

“Aye, but then I’d hae tae disagree wi’ ye.”

“That’s okay, you’re entitled to your opinion – just don’t express it,” I muttered under my breath, “have you put the kettle on?”

“Aye, it’s bylin’.”

I yawned and got up off the sofa; I was stiff, not very warm and knackered. I drank the tea and only then noticed the time. Six o’ bloody clock — no wonder I was cream crackered. I suppose the only good thing was that I’d have the girls ready for school on time – assuming I managed to stay awake myself. I made some cereal and ate it while Tom drank another mug of the pond mud he called coffee.

At half six, I went up and showered. That woke me up a little although even the noise of the water and my subsequent dressing didn’t have a similar effect upon the somnolent Simon. At least the snoring reassured me that he wasn’t dead.

I ran a bath and dipped each one of the girls in it, starting with a sleepy Trish and finishing with a chuckling Mima. “When can I go to school, Mummy?”

“Nursery,” I corrected her, “as soon as I can arrange it, Meems.” She laughed and I lifted her out of the water and into a relatively huge fluffy pink towel. Breakfast went according to plan, and just before we were ready to leave, I took Stella and Simon up some tea. Neither was awake, although Puddin’ was chortling to herself.

I left the girls — Mima was home with Tom — in the playground and went in search of the school secretary; I’d left explicit instructions for Livvie not to eat anyone unless she cleaned her teeth afterwards.

I was busy enrolling Mima for nursery when Sister Maria came past. “Goodness, Lady C, you’re an early bird.”

“Well, there’re worms to be caught,” I replied wondering why I’d said it.

“I’m afraid, we won’t be seeing Petunia for a while, I suspect her mother is going to place her elsewhere.”

“So she can practise her bullying elsewhere?”

“Perhaps, I expect a state school will make that less likely, don’t you?” she passed blithely on before I could answer. If I’d had the time, I’d have disagreed: I was the product of a state school, and I was bullied. Okay, so perhaps ultimately I survived it more or less intact, though quite why, I don’t suppose I’ll ever know. It still rankled me that the girls who’d bullied that young woman who’d jumped off the bridge would probably deny any involvement and get away with their nasty jibes and snipes undiscovered, because that’s usually the way it happens.

Perhaps I should just be contented that Trish’s bully had moved on when challenged, or her possible role model — Mrs Moo-cow, to use Livvie’s epithet, had withdrawn her from the field of battle just when the fight was going to change against them. I suppose it is ever thus. I’m not responsible for what they do, just for my own kids and I watched them march in in single file as the assembly began. They didn’t see me, but I watched them chattering as they walked, and I felt a sense of pride well up inside me. They were two lovely kids and they deserved the best we could do for them.

I drove home with a new found sense of purpose, announced to Mima that she’d be starting nursery school after half term, and we’d go out that afternoon and get her uniform. It would mean an early lunch, but that was okay — I’m the cook, so them that don’t like it gets their own!

A shot of caffeine in the form of a cup of coffee kept me going until our early lunch and Tom and I took Mima into town to get her uniform. He snuck off to get her birthday present while I distracted her with school dresses and hats — yes, they still wear hats. Then we all went off to collect the other two and took them for an ice cream on the way home.

“Why are we having ice cream, Mummy?”

“Because,” was all I said and they all giggled. Sometimes it’s difficult to express what you feel or the depth of the emotion. This was one such moment and all I can say was it was all very positive and wrapped up in that most wonderful of four letter words — love.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Me, I Doubt That

Brown-Cow and Piglet are gone for good. Somehow, I think that they will either need Cathy's help, or will meet her and Livvie in ccourt. But wouldn't it be wonderful if Brown-Cow wound up as the Maid at the Family Castle?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not a maid

I suspect Henry has higher standards for his hired help than that.

Funny, around these parts, "state school" is what we commonly call the institutions for "youthful offenders". At 18 they are then elegible for the "adult correctional facilties", aka prison.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Needing Cathy's help?

My mind's currently boggling with all the various devious scenarios that could result in Petunia needing "blue light" healing...
...perhaps with Mrs B-C begging/grovelling Cathy to help.

Just as long as we don't have a repeat of previous events - Mrs B-C fleeing/dying/being hospitalised, none of her relatives being willing to look after Petunia, so causing Cathy's Clan to grow (again!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Now you've done it!

Now you've done it! You've gone and given Angharad a suggestion which, somehow, I have a feeling she'll gladly honor! Then again, it would certainly do Piglet some good to be raised by a family that will teach her tolerance for others!

Jenny

Jenny

Just remember

Petunia could be more in need than anyone else in this story. There is a lot we do not know. Her behavior is bad, but so could her life be. Right now she is the enemy, but she is also a very young child.

A very nice way to begin

a pause in the saga... "wrapped up in that most wonderful of four letter words–love"

Ice Cream!

You said the magic words! Now I don't have to actually think about what I'm going to say in this comment except that I'm cutting it short so I can go to the freezer and get myself a dish of ice cream!

I like vanilla because you can add so many flavours to it. Did you know that, if you heat some peanut butter in a glass with a glass of water beside it for about 30 seconds in the microwave, you get a more liquid version which you can then pour over a scoop of ice cream. Mix it up and you have "Peanut Butter Ripple" or some such delicious monstrosity!

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Nice!!

A bonus episode before you take a well earned break...I did think that with your internet problems, That yesterdays episode would be your last before you toddled off on your "jollies"(slang word for holidays!)So this was an unexpected treat...And at least you did'nt leave us all on tenterhooks with a cliffhanger...Hope your holiday goes well and you return nice and refreshed,Ready to give Bonzi lots of hugs....And of course a present from his Mummy!!!

Kirri

Nice!!

A bonus episode, I did think with all your internet problems that yesterdays episode would be your last before you toddled off on your "jollies" (Slang word for holidays!)So this was a nice surprise...And at least you did'nt leave us with a cliffhanger!!!... Hope you have a lovely break and come back nice and refreshed ready to give Bonzi lots of hugs Kirri

Snoring like that...

Simon should probably get tested for Sleep Apnia... Sleeping with someone who has a CPAP is better than one that snores... Though, it tends to make "romance" more difficult. LOL

Thanks for the story.
Annette

Bike.

Just thought I'd drop by to say thanks again for the story and to demonstrate that I'm sticking to my self inflicted agenda.

Obviously I can't comment after every chapter (or posting). I'd never get up to date. However, I haven't stuck to the 'every 50 or 100 postings rule, I've decided instead to place a comment when I've finished for the day or for the night, or even for the morning if I've just finished a night shift or if it's a particularly revelent posting (Like the evil Psychoatrist passages)
I'm still enjoying it immensly.
Keep writing.
Love and Hugs,
XOXO
Bev,

How can we miss you, if you don't go away ?

Simon may suffer from sleep apnia with that bad snoring.
Rats, I wanted to see the Rath of Cath, I'm kind of a Trekkie.

Cefin