Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2535

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2535
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Cindy came early on the Saturday morning and after feeding little Lizzie and having breakfast, I took Cindy and Danni together with Trish and Livvie into the department stores to look for a suitable easy dress pattern and material. It took over two hours before we got both and finally Danni was happy with the design of the dress and the pattern on the material. We were working with cotton polyester because it’s fairly easy to machine.

The last time I’d been home to Bristol I’d brought my mother’s dressmaker’s dummy. Getting it from the loft brought back memories. I used it once with her and she’d shown me how to adjust it for size, bust, waist, hips and also height. It was a good one and a birthday present to her from my dad about three years before she died.

Mum was quite a good seamstress and she showed me the basics of using a sewing machine, hand stitching and a little about various fabrics. Anything knitted like jersey can stretch or pucker, especially on a machine. Silks and satins tend to slide, so if sewing two pieces together make sure they feed through together at the same rate. I learned the hard way, making cushion covers—she told my dad she needed me to help her do them, we had visitors coming or something. It was a fib because she could have made a dozen in a day, but we didn’t, instead we made four—or I made four under her tuition, and learned a lot about sewing. To think I actually protested to my dad about having to help her because I wanted to swot. He told me to do as my mother said—then went off to play golf.

The following week, he thought we were still making cushion covers when he went off to golf. So did I. We weren’t, she showed me how to measure, adapt a pattern, pin it to the material, mark the material, cut out and tack together. Finally, we did darts, zips and buttonholes.

We were of a similar size in height though she was a little bigger in bust and hips, unsurprisingly. She chose her time carefully. Dad was involved in a golf competition over in Chepstow and it ran all weekend. I didn’t know this as I tended to avoid him so I wasn’t being criticised or scorned all the time. On the Saturday, we did all the cutting out of the dress and tacked it together. I was surprised he wasn’t coming back for dinner, but she told me he was away so I had to make the meal and clean up afterwards.

Then instead of settling down to watch telly, her usual Saturday evening occupation, sometimes with her knitting, we continued with the dress. She’d asked Dad to phone when they were on the way home and she’d put the meat in the oven—it seemed we’d also know to clear up the evidence.

Under her guidance I sewed the dress seams together, then did the darts under the bust—how was this necessary for a boy, even one living on his own? But we did it. Next and it took a couple of hours, we put quite a long zip in, or I did, pinning and tacking, finally machining it. I was a bath of sweat after that.

We put it on the dummy and so far so good. The next day we put the sleeves in and stitched those on the machine. “Right, go and slip on the underwear you usually wear when you wear your schoolgirl uniform.”

“What?” I stood there like a zombie.

“You heard what I said, hurry, we don’t know when your dad will be home.”

I ran upstairs and did as she asked me, back down again and feeling very self conscious, I took the dress from her and stepped into it. She zipped it up behind me. I wasn’t sure what I felt as the zip tightened the material around me. She walked around me and bid me twirl while she watched and checked everything. “How’s it feel?”

“Fine,” I said in a small voice made squeaky by the frog in my throat.

She helped me take it off and told me to throw some boy stuff on top of my lingerie in case Dad came home early. Then we checked it for length on the dummy—it was above my knee, measured pinned and hemmed it. The last thing was pressing it before she bid me try it on again. Once more she checked it.

“Right, next time you play Charlotte, you’ll have something different to wear. You’d better go and change—and, Charlotte, we’ll keep this between just you and I, yes?”

I pecked her on the cheek and agreed, running upstairs in a dress I’d made I nearly collapsed in joyfulness. I didn’t get to talk with her about it, my dad arrived home and normality returned. I wore the dress once—I don’t know what happened to it, but it disappeared along with anything else I’d worn as my schoolgirl stuff. We never did speak of it—well that’s not quite true. I challenged her when she was defending my dad for his demanding I pretend I was a boy.

“So why did you show me how to make that dress, if you don’t believe I’m a girl?”

“Charlie, your dad shows you how to fix your bike, dig the garden and put up a shelf, it’s what he knows. I know how to keep house, cook and bake and sew. He’s passed on what he knows, so I’ve done the same. The fact that you can sew and cook doesn’t make you a boy or a girl, rather a more capable boy or girl. It’s called teaching you life skills.”

“I’ll bet no other boy in my school had made his own dress and worn it.”

She shrugged, “Pity, it might have saved their poor mothers some work. I washed your school shirts and trousers, you can iron them tomorrow.”

I always thought I was being used as slave labour, being too stupid to really appreciate what was happening. I was probably the only boy who had to iron his own uniform, frequently wash it as well. It did help me respect my clothes—I’d be less likely to damage or dirty them if I had to wash and iron them. My dad swallowed it. Me dirty my stuff—only when I got beaten up. Then she made me repair the holes and tears in it. Dad assumed it was a punishment for fighting—yeah, I was the school punch-bag most of the time.

Looking back, I realise she was teaching me her skills as a housekeeper. Did she really do it just to share her knowledge? Or was there a much deeper understanding of what was almost inevitable, that I would one day transition? I’ll never know for sure, but part of me likes to think there was. Dad liked to think he was cleverer than she was. He had a degree and was probably more academic she was more practical in lots of ways—he couldn’t sew on a button or do more than very basic cooking. When she died he had to get someone in to look after him until he had the stroke and I had to help him as and when I could.

“Come on, Mummy, I wanna get started on my dress...” Danielle broke my reverie. Did she know, was she operating below the radar? I guess I’ll never know for certain.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
245 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very Sweet

It appears that Cathy's mom did what she could (within the family dynamics) to support her daughter.

Seems that

Cathys mum could see into the future, Either that or she was a good observer of her child, Like most mothers she would have noticed little details about her son, And very quickly realised that Charlie was little more than a facade, She could of course just ignored Charlotte and no doubt life would have continued in the same vein it had for all those preceding years, To her great credit she didn't , Now not only is Cathy grateful for her mothers foresight, But Danni should be too, Just think of all those lovely clothes she can make when she has grown up....Mind you given how cheap clothes can be in shops now she will probably do what the rest of us do.... And buy them !

Kirri

Cathy's Mom

saw things that only mothers can see and acted on it, unlike the mother of an unfortunate teenager in Ohio. I can only hope that the death of Leelah will open the eyes of her mom but won't hold my breath.

Jackie

I'm a bit pissed tonight.

After all this outrageous news about Leelah, it feels like I have a dangerous level of rage in me. So many of us have similar elements in our stories. Why is it that Dads so often do not get it? Perhaps it is because their sons are an extension of their egos?

With a name like Gwen, and spending my first years in dresses plus other things, there is no doubt that Mother wanted me to be a girl. Now, 10 years into living that life, 7 since surgery, why do I get so upset at some of these transformation stories!

It seems that Danni will get to choose,or already has, the life she or he wishes to live. Very good then.

Gwen

I really have to agree with

I really have to agree with Cathy's Mum. Regardless if you are a girl or a boy, you need to know how to cook and sew, plus a few other life skills that may be considered domestic in nature. Knowing these skills does NOT make a person less than a 'man' nor more than a 'girl'. I have met people of both sexes who cannot even boil water without burning it. None of them had ever been taught, and very few of them ever assisted their Mothers or sisters in the kitchen or other rooms in the home, because it was always considered 'woman's work'. On the other side of this coin is also the fact that ALL girls/women and boys/men should at least the basics of car maintenance. Again, this knowledge does not make a person anymore of a man or less of a woman. Janice Lynn

My mother taught me things as well.....

D. Eden's picture

How to take care of a house, how to do laundry and iron, how to cook, how to sew........

All the same things she taught my two sisters. But there was never any question about why she did it. It was simply expected that I would help do things around the house, on top of taking care of the lawn and the cars with my father. I always hated the fact that I had to do more than my sisters. They only had to worry about the inside of the house, while I had to do everything - including learning how to repair the plumbing and electrical wiring.

Of course, it served me well later in life - but I always hated that I had to take care of everything.

I know for a fact it had absolutely nothing to do with my gender issues, which yes, when I look back on my life I had even back when I was a child. As much as I wish otherwise, it was simply my mother and father making me learn how to do everything they could teach me.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Learning life's skills.

I was taught nothing of course from either of my progenitors and very little else during the formative years. I learned basic sowing as a deck boy, mostly hand stitching where every stich was a 'half hitch'. Very durable and robust but painstakingly slow. Most other house-keeping and life-skills have been learned after aged fourteen and three-quarter years from October 1960 onwards. I did learn to wash sheets, clean rooms, paint, march, and clean out farm animals from age twelve but the learning process was very patchy and undirected. I suppose I did learn survival skills but much of that is simply reducing one's essential practical needs to a very basic level and does little to satisfy others who might have to share living arrangements. Ho-hum, life goes on.
Still lovin' it Ang.
x

bev_1.jpg

It is written

"We see things not as they are but as we are."

Cathy's dad saw things from his point of view. Perhaps Cathy's mum saw things from many points of view. We don't have to know for sure to believe.

Much Love,

Valerie R

A lovely Episode

This was a lovely reflective episode, Angharad.

I am glad my parents managed to teach me nearly all the skills necessary to get by when I left home. Alas, my mothers attempts to teach me knitting never worked. I always blamed it on my being left handed, it never seemed to sink into my little brain.

Thanks for keeping the saga going.

Love to all

Anne G.

Knowing that Cathy didn't think she got any support from her

parents, it's strange to hear these stories of her mom passing skills like sewing on. Glad to see that Cathy can continue the tradition with her daughters. I'm happy to say that I taught my daughters wood turning, furniture making and electrician skills. (along with motorcycle maintenance)