My Transgender Childhood Comix #2

Printer-friendly version

This is the second entry in what I hope to be a continuing series of single-panel cartoons.

My Transgender Childhood #2
Copyright 2008 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I remember almost always "losing" a shoe or coat or some other important item of clothing when I'd go visiting my relatives, which allowed me to put off the inevitable parting with my cousins just a little bit longer. It wasn't the best trick for putting off the inevitable, but I always hated leaving, so the effort definitely seemed worth it.

Anyways, I was kinda thinking of what it'd be like if I had managed to convince one of my cousins that I could borrow her clothes, then some how manage to misplace the clothes I came to visit in ... and this is the what came out of that musing. :)

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Explanation

And how would you explain to your parents about getting out of your clothes in the first place ? I guess you could use the excuse of some kind of dress-play once, but if you try that more often, they're going to get a clue..

Of course, as fantasies go, it's a nice one :)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Expressions :)

erin's picture

These are so cute and well done. I love the little boy's expression. Just a simple dot for a mouth but there's a whole closet full of ambiguity there. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

It was the bear

I agree. Is it my imagination or does the bear have a sly glance like he knows what's going on?

Smug

Edeyn That was what i thought. Smug, self-satisfied little bear. Like a Care Bear gone horribly wrong. "Hi! I'm Secret Bear's broth-- um, sister, Closet Bear! Will you be my friend?"

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God. Sorry, common mistake to make...

Glare Bears

erin's picture

The little girl is glaring at the bear, too. :) Like she thinks she knows who's responsible for the missing clothes. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Love it!

Please keep going!

Simply Grand

Some pictures are worth 10,000 words, or more.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Ahh!

The bear did it!!! Great art Heather!
hugs!
grover

Comic Fantasies

What fun! All of our childhood fantasies brought back to play with in our doddering later life - wishing somehow we could go back and do what we weren't able to.

marie c.

marie c.

The Bear Facts

Oh wow...I drew the bear, and I had no clue there was so much going on behind what I had been thinking of a simple teddy bear smile. ;)


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

It's the eyes

It looks like the bear is looking sidelong at the boy.

Wonderful work

I had to add my own comment. You do wonderful work. I look forward to your next pannel

Obvious

It seems like the obvious answer to what happened to his boy clothes is that she's wearing them.

Image display

I use Opera as my web browser of choice. It is promoted as 100% W3C standards compliant.

However, it fails to render some images on the BC site. Looking for a reason why, it appears that a number of images are in fact bitmaps (.bmp), but are being tagged as Joint Photographic Group (.jpg) images.

May I suggest those of you whom administer this site check over the provenance of images outside the Drupal set, and tag them appropriately?

It is generally considered good practice for web-masters to check a website's ability to display correctly in most common browsers.

A good place, also, to check your site is the mark-up validator at http://validator.w3.org. A quick check, just now, of the Topshelf welcome page showed 309 instances of invalid markup.

P.S. changing images to jpg, correctly, will reduce the file size by at least a factor of 10 and will similarly decimate your bandwidth charges.

Images

erin's picture

No browser that I know of would work correctly if a .bmp image were id'd as ,jpg. So you're going to have to explain what you mean and offer an example. I use Safari which is also W3C compliant.

As for 309 errors on the front page, I fix egregious ones hat break browsers I can test, but there is no way I can actually have a life and spend all my time fixing up the code written by 30 some authors (most of whom don't know HTML) not to mention the automated code produced by Drupal. This site is what it is, an amateur site that has to settle for code that is "good enough".

Sorry.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

What I mean is...

What I mean is that in Opera all images you have added to the site apart from the Drupal stock images do not display. Images such as adverts for dolls, pictures heading stories and a rather odd cat-in-a-hat ,(eat your heart out Dr Suse), all fail to load.

When I tried IE7, the images do display. I attempted to find out which kind of image your site was supplying for this thread's story by saving the image. IE7 offers to save the image as a bmp. Without exploring further that single fact lead me to believe something was wrong with the image header with a bmp being supplied in place of a jpg. And contrary to the assertion in your post, bmp images do display in IE7 and probably many other browsers too. It is not too surprising that browser software writers tried to make their products 'idiot proof' in as many ways as they could. Try this [link removed after 3 days] and this [ link removed after 3 days ] ; same image both times, the first one being a transgendered bitmap to coin a phrase; or should that be trans-j-pegged? But, however, since they also display in Opera, simple mislabelled images appear not the cause of your site's image display problem.

If you care to look at the response in the W3C validator, you may see that the possible cause of most errors is the XHTML type specification as 'strict' rather than 'transitional'. You may find a simple change would make many of the errors disappear.

A good web editor (Dreamweaver) may sort out many of your problems automatically without you needing to know what to do.

However, I note that 'good ole Opera' also stops those annoying Google adverts showing too; so on second thoughts please keep everything just as broken as it is!!

Don'cha just love,

Angharad's picture

the way that men have to display their superiority and tell you how to fix it!

Angharad

Angharad

Don'cha just love...

...the way that women have of trashing men at every opportunity in order to display their superiority? In fact, don'cha just love how so many people cannot seem to feel good about themselves unless they feel that they are better than someone else? Don'cha just love how people can see a speck of sawdust in a fellow's eye, and fail to see the stacks of timber in their own eyes (Matt 7:3-5)? Don'cha just love how tribalism and factionalism grow while people point fingers of blame at each other, because no one wants to take ownership of their own shadows? And, above all else, don'cha just love how all of these very human tendencies are genderless?

COYOTP - Call Off Your Old, Tired Propaganda

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

IE7

Will save any image as a .bmp -- which I see as a problem. Apparently, IE7 wants to convert any image (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc...) to a .bmp. So when you try to right-click and save an image in IE7, it is the converted image you're saving. I suppose it's no coincidence that the application that handles .bmp format images most often is MS's "Paint" program that comes as part of the Windows OS.

Edeyn

You misread me.

erin's picture

I didn't say bmp images wouldn't display, I said bmp images identified as jpg would not display. The images you mention are however, jpg or gif, NOT bmp. That IE7 tries to save them as something else doesn't surprise me, it's IE7. :)

A "good web editor like dreamweaver" is unnecessary since I'm using Drupal and not building static pages at all. If you're logged in, you can turn the google adverts off but if you have Opera set to block ads, you may also have inadvertently set it to block images, too. It can do that.

Other people are using Opera on the site and no one else has complained about images not loading. I've used Opera myself and it worked fine the last time I did but I don't have it installed on this machine.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

bmp, jpg, opera ... and my cartoon?

I'm curious...how did a discussion of image formats and browsers get started here? Did I mess something up with the image posted? I'm just really feeling a bit lost.


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

Nope, not your problem.

erin's picture

Apparently, someone has their browser misconfigured and blamed the site. Sorry.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Expressions

That bear sure has a guilty expression on her face. Or is it conspiratorial?