The Price To Pay - Vol. 2.12 - Dresses!

Printer-friendly version
price_to_pay.jpg
          

"Oh god Celyn I was going to tell you but I didn't know how to," she said, speaking rapidly," please don't hate me for this."

"For what?" I asked, astonished by her reaction, my mind racing over all the possible bad people my sister could be anticipating having a relationship with. I hoped her potential paramour wasn't a drug dealer, axe murderer or terrorist. I supposed rugby player might be OK as long as he could get free tickets for the 'Internationals'.*

"It's Grace," she said in response.

I looked at her for a few seconds, nonplussed. Finally all the cogs in my brain finally engaged and I responded," Grace as in a Grace the girl?!"

The Price To Pay - Vol.2.12 - Dresses!

by Alys


Vol. 2.12
 

"CATCH!" was the ragged shout from my fellow players as the last batsman miscued his shot.

"Awwwwwwwww!" I screamed as the fast moving hard cricket ball slipped through my hands and slammed into my concealed left breast.

I fell to the ground as the sharp pain radiated rapidly through my upper body but somehow still had the presence of mind to cling on to the vital catch. I held it up in triumph even as I grimaced with the agony of the impact on such a sensitive part of my anatomy.

"Well done Celyn!" shouted Mr Jones, from his position as umpire where he was signalling the end of the innings and the victory of my team," are you OK?"

"Yes sir," I yelled back as I followed the rest of the class back to the changing rooms. I quickly picked up my school bags and made my way towards the school gates with a couple of my fellow pupils who were taking advantage of the new rule about not having to change back to school uniform at the end of the last lesson. I smiled as I thought back to the meeting of the previous Wednesday.

My Mother had been at her imperious best as she pointed out the need to protect me from the exposure of my supposed Klinefelter like condition to the rest of the class in the changing room during games lessons. She had even managed to get a supporting letter from Dr Thomas which, by being economical with the truth, managed to convey the impression of a temporary hormonal imbalance. Mr Jones, the head of games, had caved in quickly and agreed to move my sports session to the last period of the day and bring in a new rule about being able to leave school wearing games kit.

I reached the bus-stop as the school bell rang and stood there to await the arrival of my sister who had surprised me by wanting to come into school even though, now she had finished her exams, she had no need to attend. She had been evasive when I had asked her the reason muttering something about 'seeing some friends'.
     


**********************

     

"See you later Celyn," said Mrs Prys as she pulled out from the school drive onto the main road, driving her stylish blue Citroen C3 convertible.

"Bye," I responded as Taran and I waved to the head of French as she drove past us, the wind from the car movement rustling her shoulder length blond hair.

"You know what?" asked Taran who was waiting with me outside the school gate. It was a hot afternoon.

"No, I've no idea," I responded, as I took a drink from my water bottle.

"She is so elegant, she always looks so cool, I would never have guessed," my sister explained.

"Never have guessed what?" I asked, only half listening to her.

My sister gave me a little embarrassed look before replying," You know, she's like you, you know, had a sex change."

I smiled at her uncertainly and said," Yes, you're right, you'd never know from looking at her, although sometimes her voice is a little low, but unless you had some inside info you'd not think anything of it."

"I always thought her voice was really husky and sexy when she taught me in year eight and nine," Taran responded.

"Me too," I said," but there is one important way she's very different to me"

"What's that?" she asked.

"She always wanted to be a girl, Taran," I responded, then paused for a second for emphasis," BUT, I had no choice."

There was a few seconds of silence between us before my sister replied.

"Yes, sorry, I forgot," she said before taking her jacket off," god I'm boiling here where the hell is Mum?"

"I'm hotter than you under all these layers and I'm not complaining," I countered," I'm sure she'll be here soon."

At that very moment there was a beep on a horn. We both looked up to see our Mother's yellow Vauxhall Astra hatchback pulling up in front of us.

"Hey gir.........kids, get in," she yelled.

I looked around to see if any of the other pupils leaving the school had noticed my Mother's slip-up and was relieved to see there was no-one within earshot.

I sat in the back seat, behind my sister.

"How did it go Celyn," my Mother asked.

"It was fine, the coach let everyone else leave without taking their games kit off, if they wanted to, so I didn't look odd not using the changing room," I replied.

"That's a relief," my Mum said as she joined the dual carriageway going out of town," it was a good idea of yours to tell Mr Jones you had a condition like Klinefelter's Syndrome. I am so pleased he was cooperative."

"Celyn is one of his star players, Mum, so not too surprising," Taran interjected.

"Yes, Taran but it's not everyday a year timetable is altered to fit in with the needs of one pupil," Mum countered," so how did you get on yourself, what did you say you were doing?"

"Just saying goodbye to some of the teachers and meeting some friends," Taran replied a little evasively while a slightly dreamy look briefly flickered across her face.

I looked at her curiously wondering if any of her school friends were now a little more than a 'friend', then let my mind wander back over the successful training session. I hoped I would make the team. I had missed the excitement of taking part in competitive sport for the previous months.

We were quiet in the car for the next quarter of an hour in the way home as Mum concentrated on making her way through the heavier than usual Friday commuter traffic while Taran and I were lost in our own worlds.
     


**********************

     

"Enjoy the film," shouted my Mother as we walked briskly from her car onto the deserted platform at Cwmbrá¢n train station almost two hours later.

"Good timing," said Taran as she checked the train information screen hanging high over the platform, "the next train to Caerdydd is only five minutes."

"I'm glad this place is so empty in the evening, I'd hate to bump into anyone we knew with me looking like this," I said indicating the pretty pastel coloured micro-dress my sister had persuaded me to wear on the hot summer evening.

"What's wrong?" Taran countered, " I used to love wearing it when I was your age."

"Nothing wrong, except it's a dress, and there's not much of it," I replied," I feel so exposed, especially wearing a wonderbra."

"Well a girl has to make the best of what she's got," said my sister, sniggering.

I poked my tongue out at her and sat down on the bench to wait the arrival of the train.

A few minutes later we were sat in a corner of a fairly busy carriage on the small shopper's train as it made it's way to the capital city. I turned away from looking at the housing estates and fields racing past to see my sister looking at me.

"Wassup?" I asked.

"I was just looking at where I put the fake tan on to cover up your bruise from the cricket ball, I can hardly notice it now," she said as she gently prodded me.

"Ouch, don't do that" I said," it's still very sore you know."

"Sorry," Taran responded.

"So who are you going to the cinema with then?" I asked a little later, after I had began to get bored of looking at the identikit housing estates flashing past.

"One of my friends?" she replied tersely.

"Anyone I know?" I asked.

"Doubt it," she said.

"OK what's his name then Taran, you don't have to pretend, I've seen that look in your eyes before," I asked, getting more intrigued by the second.

She hesitated for a few seconds and then responded a little hesitantly," it's not a boy, Celyn."

I stared at her, feeling a little puzzled by her response," is he married then? Is that why you're using me as a cover to go out?"

"You're using me too, I'm helping you meet Mrs Prys," she responded sounding a little irritated.

I returned to my perusal of the streets of terraced houses of the outer part of Caerdydd, as we rapidly approached our destination.

After a little while I turned back towards my sister and asked her softly, "what's his name then Taran? Is he nice?"

She looked at me strangely and then to my surprise tears welled up in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away and then turned to me taking a hold of my arm.

"Oh god Celyn I was going to tell you but I didn't know how to," she said, speaking rapidly," please don't hate me for this."

"For what?" I asked, astonished by her reaction, my mind racing over all the possible bad people my sister could be anticipating having a relationship with. I hoped her potential paramour wasn't a drug dealer, axe murderer or terrorist. I supposed rugby player might be OK as long as he could get free tickets for the 'Internationals'.*

"It's Grace," she said in response.

I looked at her for a few seconds, nonplussed. Finally all the cogs in my brain finally engaged and I responded," Grace as in a Grace the girl?!"

"Yep, Grace Williams," she said a little dreamily," we got chatting at the sixth form party last Saturday and somehow we really connected and we've been on MSN all week. Celyn I've never felt this way about anyone, none of the boys I've been out made me feel like this."

"OK, well that's cool, sis," I said, still feeling a little confused by everything.


"Rydym ar fin gyrraedd Gorsaf Ganolog Caerdydd, We are now arriving at Cardiff Central Station.............."
came over the train tannoy drowning out further conversation.

We jumped down onto the platform and made our way out into the main street bustling with humanity. We arranged to meet back at ten for the last train back and then with a final wave my sister walked off in the direction of the nearby multi-screen cinema where she was meeting her new girlfriend.

I walked slowly to the bus-stop where I had arranged to meet Mrs Prys.

I glanced at the middle aged couple having an intense conversation about rent money at the other end of the bench and then sat down and waited.

The time seemed to drag so slowly and I was becoming a bit nervous with some of the lewd stares I was getting from passing men. I looked at my watch again. Mrs Prys should be arriving any minute I hoped no one would come and talk to me before then.

Finally I heard some footsteps approaching from behind me, I turned my head to greet my expected companion for the evening.

"Hello Eifiona, this is a nice surprise. How are you? Why didn't you call me?" said Alun as he reached where I was standing.

I stared open mouthed at my admirer, from my previous trip to the city, completely lost for words. As I considered how to reply I noticed Mrs Prys come out of the station exit some fifty metres behind where Alun was standing and start to walk towards us.

"You OK, Eifiona?" said Alun in response to my lack of reaction to his questions.

"Um, yes, well OK, I guess," I spluttered as I considered how to escape from a rapidly approaching, potentially disastrous encounter between Mrs Prys, myself and Alun.

     
     

*The Wales Rugby team plays about eight games every year against other countries, tickets for these 'Internationals' are often like gold-dust if you are not a either a member of the rugby establishment or very wealthy.


To Be Continued...

 
End of Vol. 2.12

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welsh Recognised

joannebarbarella's picture

There will be no living with you lot now that Welsh has been recognised as an EU minority language. Eisteddfodds will multiply like red tide on a polluted sea. I just ask, please don't post on BC in Welsh only. Give us poor monolingualists a chance to continue to enjoy your stories.
Well, well! Twist upon twist. Taran coming out of the closet, though how she could think Celyn would condemn her I can't imagine. Mum acting responsibly for once. The three-way encounter with Alun and Mrs. Prys could be entertaining, but I bet Mrs. Prys is smart enough to cover for Celyn.
Aiiyaah (that's Cantonese) Alys. you manage to keep this story about our favourite girl so enthralling even though we all know where it's going. Love it,
Joanne

Well, Celyn, What Now?

Thanks for another chapter Alys.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hi Alys, Your story about

Hi Alys,
Your story about Celyn is really a fun read. I only wish that she would just come out to everyone about who and what she is because her condition is not her fault. I seriously doubt the coach would eliminate her from the team if she did as she is one of the best, if not the best, player on the team. J-Lynn

Welsh

terrynaut's picture

Celyn inches forward, accepting girlhood slowly, and then she's yanked off her feet. Once again, the poor girl can't seem to avoid a tight spot.

I suppose she still has a long way to go. I thought she should've figured out why her sister was being so evasive about her date. It seemed so obvious to me. :)

I like the Welsh language and I'm glad you include some in your story. I'm not trying to learn it at the moment but I'd like to learn more someday. I have a Welsh dictionary that I got at a little bookshop near Caernarfon Castle.

diolch yn fawr

- Terry

Complications!

Poor Celyn - you do like making his life complicated! And judging by the foreshadowing by other commentators who've read Volume III, it's not likely to get any less complicated any time soon!

As to extracting himself from this situation, I don't suppose there are any toilets nearby? They're one place Alun won't be able to follow, so giving Celyn a chance to share and build on the Eifiona cover story...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!