Another Con

Printer-friendly version

Another Con

By Melanie E.

It's con time again! Another short adventure with Josie and Greg.

While this story can stand on its own, check out my stories "The Con" and "The Next Con" for more of Josie's adventures -- all conveniently bite-sized, of course.

---

"Where is he?" Josie mumbled under her breath as she stood on her toes, scanning the crowd for the form of her long-time con partner Greg. "There he is! GREG, OVER HERE!"

"Coming!" His voice echoed from across the crowd. Josie bounced up and down while she waited for him to finish cutting through the many attendees to reach her, anxious to get started. At last he reached her, a triumphant look on his face. "Our room's on the third floor this year. Ready to go up and change?"

Josie nodded, and together they made their way towards the elevators. It was a short ride to the third floor, and soon they were in their room. "Finally, time to change into my costume!" Josie exclaimed excitedly as she pulled the schoolgirl outfit from the garment bag she had brought. This year she had chosen Tenma from "School Rumble" as her character to cosplay, and she hoped desperately that the little motors she had rigged would work right when she wanted to twitch her pigtails. Across from her, she could see Greg busy pulling out the flight suit and helmet for his "Gundam Seed" Zaft forces pilot outfit. He looked up and grinned when he caught her eyes.

"I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate you looking at me like that," he teased her, laying out the suit and giving it a final check to make sure everything was in order.

Josie blushed. "Well, we both know she's not got anything to worry about," she whispered. "I'm just happy to be here."

Greg nodded. "You look nice," he added, before grabbing his outfit and heading for the bathroom. "I'll change in here, you can have the room."

"Thanks," she said as the door closed behind him. With a sigh, Josie gave herself one final glance. The girl's jeans and baggy button down shirt had been boyish enough to slip past her parents in, but once at Greg's house it had taken only moments for her to pull on her bra and do a quick dash of makeup. Jeremy had disappeared, and for the next two days Josie would have free reign to be herself. Sneaking the rest of her stash of clothes past her parents had been a bit more difficult -- they tended to watch her a lot more closely now than they had before they found everything the last time -- but the payoff of not having to be in costume for the entire convention would be worth it, she had no doubt.

Once in her costume, however, the doubts began to settle in again. What if someone saw through her disguise? What if someone they knew were to show up? What if Greg accidentally said her old name, or someone tried to look up her skirt, of her voice slipped or--

"Hey! Stop worrying!" Greg's voice cut through her thoughts, breaking her downhill slide. "You'll be fine. You've done this before, now's no different." He put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed, comforting her as best he could.

"I know, but this time... it's not just a costume any more," she said through her sniffling. "I'm going to be Josie all weekend, nonstop, and what if somebody sees me?"

Greg grinned. "Lots of people will see you. And all they'll see is a cute girl with weird pigtails." He flicked one of the pigtails in question with the tip of his finger. "Do they work?"

Josie tapped a button on the small radio controller strapped to her wrist, and felt the pull as the pigtail on her left bounced twice. She tapped it again, and both bounced in unison, causing Greg to laugh. "I think they'll work okay." After all the hours she had spent figuring out how to wrap her hair around the plastic rods they had better work, she didn't add.

"Nice. And once they hear how badly you sing, they'll really know you're Tenma."

"Hey!" Josie shrieked as she pounded Greg in his well-padded shoulder. "Seriously, though, I mean... what if we see someone we know when I'm out of costume? I'll get picked on enough if they find out I did cosplay as a girl, but if they see me in my normal clothes, I don't know what to do."

"It'll be fine," Greg said, wiping the tears she hadn't even realized had been falling from her cheeks. "Tell them I dared you to or something. Or, don't say anything at all." He took her hand. "If you can't handle it now, you'll never be able to do it."

"Well it's not like I'm ever going to be a girl all the time."

"Why not?"

"It's just for fun," Josie said defensively, but inside she wondered. It was just for fun... wasn't it?

Greg shrugged again, but said nothing.

"Okay," Josie sighed and straightened her skirt. "Give me a second to fix my makeup and we can go, alright?"

"Sure thing," Greg agreed. "And, Josie?"

"Yeah?"

"Next time, you change in the bathroom, I nearly fell in the tub three times trying to put this thing on."

They both laughed, and with a lighter heart Josie made sure she was ready to face the world. Was it really just a game to her? Or was it something more? She couldn't be sure, but she knew that at the very least Greg would support her.

And maybe, for the moment, that was enough.

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very nice

Nicely done, well written, and the realistic feelings shine through. I enjoy stories with good dialog. Thanks for sharing this with us

Loved this line "Well it's not like I'm ever going to be a girl"

Andrea Lena's picture

..."It's just for fun," Josie said defensively, but inside she wondered. It was just for fun... wasn't it? Thanks for a great read once again!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thanks for the nice comments!

The first time I wrote one of these Con stories, I figured that would be the only time I did anything with either the characters or the situation, but for some reason they keep coming back with a little more story to tell. I think part of it is the character of Josie -- I like to think that most of my lead protagonists are if not strong willed then at least confident in themselves enough to accept their own desires and needs. On the other hand, Josie is very much afraid of where her desires might lead her, but still feels the need to explore how she feels. Greg's confidence and acceptance plays a large part in her growing comfort with her desires, as well, though I still don't know if it will ever develop into anything more between the characters.

It's funny that people seem to like these so much -- I don't think I've spent more than an hour on the outside working on any of the three. :P

Melanie E.

Very enjoyable

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I smiled when I saw this one listed on the home page. These short scenes with Josie and Gregg are very enjoyable and a lot of fun.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Just spotted Another Con

on the front page, Read it enjoyed it, and then looked up the the other two in the series, What a delight, fun, easy to read, and with just enough undertones too suggest that all is not quite as good as it could be for Josie!...Hope too read more about Greg and Josie soon, These little shorts are just so readable.

Kirri

oh, for a friend like Greg

someone to help bolster our confidence when we get a little scared. Yes, I think many of us could use one, me included.

DogSig.png

I was pretty lucky...

...to have a friend similar to Greg. Even though I never dressed like a girl around him, I kinda acted like one, even when I was at school. I really wasn't trying to act like a girl. It was more like I really couldn't get the hang of acting like a boy. Of course, other kids called us all kinds of names, assuming there was more to our relationship than friendship. Yet, despite all that, he never once abandoned me. I feel so lucky to have had someone like that in my life. :)