Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1099.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1099
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I’ve discovered another disadvantage to this breast feeding lark–unless, I wear a wet suit, we both get covered in sticky fluid when making love. Not a lot, but enough to make a shower necessary before going to sleep–which meant drying my hair and combing it and by which time, tiny wee was awake again and looking for a pre-breakfast snack.

Simon of course went to bed and was asleep quite quickly whilst I sat there nodding off as the baby emptied my flotation tanks. In the end I wrapped a towel around her in case I did drop off, so she wouldn’t fall.

I did nod for a few moments and her chewing my nipple woke me–I think she wanted the other one or a bacon sandwich–anyway, she got the former. She fell asleep on my breast, so did I. We woke with quite a start when Simon, woken by the light still on, came to see why I was sitting in the chair rather than sleeping.

I changed the baby’s nappy and put her down to sleep–it was nearly three o’clock and I had no idea how long I’d sat there. I pulled on my nursing passion killer with its pads and almost fell into bed, drifting off almost as soon as my head touched the pillow, ignoring Simon’s request for a top up.

The next day, it didn’t rain, so we all went for a walk–except Julie, who was waiting for Leon to arrive–waiting in bed, so I told her in no uncertain terms she needed to get up and dressed. In response, she pulled the duvet over her head. So I locked both back and front doors and took the keys with me. Knowing Leon, he’d get on with some gardening when he arrived.

In the end we met him as he was riding to the house and Tom gave him instructions on what he wanted done. Danny decided he’d go back with Leon, I guessed he needed some male bonding, so I let him go. He’d also act as a gooseberry to the young lovers.

We were out for an hour or so, enjoying the sunshine if not the cool breeze, Simon pushing the pram like a proud father and me holding hands with as many of my kids as I could. They’d change over every so often, so Trish would hold one hand and Livvie my other, and Mima would hold her hand and Billie would hang on to Trish. Then ten minutes later, they’d all swap round and someone would push Puddin’ and another would hold Stella’s hand. The only one who wouldn’t change was Simon, he was hanging on to the pram for grim death.

When I asked him later, I knew the answer was really, that this was the closest thing we’d ever have to our own baby, but his answer in typical flippant schoolboy style was, “I have to protect the owner of the milkshake factory.”

“That’s me,” I scolded.

“No, that’s her,” he pointed to the pram, “you are the factory.”

“Oh great, I love it when men objectify women.”

“Don’t go all feminist on me.”

“Oh, I see, it’s okay for you to go all macho male chauvinist but not for me to defend myself.”

Me, male chauvinist? Is that what you think? Here take your bloody baby.” With that he turned on his heel abandoning the pram and Trish and Livvie squabbled over who was going to push it. I simply stood there with eyes filling with tears–not sure if I was hurt or angry.

“Don’t cwy, Mummy,” said Mima, holding my hand and Puddin’s pram with the other. I smiled at her and nodded, although a tear did escape and run down my face to drop onto the pavement.

Stella and Simon were fifty yards down the road and she was letting rip at him. We walked on slowly and Tom put his arm round me, “Storm in a teacup,” he said and we walked on.

It was always stupid little things we fought about, though rarely in front of the kids. I was as guilty of starting them as he was. So when he came back, marched back by his ‘prefect’ sister, I apologised before he could say anything.

“I’m sorry, darling, I’m just a bit tired and tetchy this morning, so I’m sorry for upsetting you.”

“As much my fault–you know I don’t think of you as a sex object–you’re a wonderful person, and I love you.”

“I love you, too.” I kissed him and all the kids cheered, talk about embarrassing.

A bit later we bumped into an old lady, “Lovely mornin’,” she observed.

“Yes, just right for a walk,” I replied.

“You doin’ the Sunday School walk?” she enquired.

It took a moment for me to understand what she said. “Oh no, these are all mine,” I smiled.

She looked horrified, “You need to learn to say no to him,” she advised and bustled on.

I smirked and Trish pulled on my sleeve and asked, “What did she mean, Mummy?”

“I think she thought I had enough children.”

“Oh a girl can’t have too many children, Mummy.”

“We’re not talking about shoes, Trish. Children are a responsibility, they take time and effort, not to mention money.”

“But we’re worth it,” she sighed.

I hugged her and agreed. Then of course I had to hug Mima, who then went back to holding Simon’s hand–he was walking with Tom and hadn’t heard my conversation with the old lady.

We walked in a big circle coming back to the house via the cemetery, where Tom laid some flowers on his wife and daughter’s grave. We all stood back while he did this, then he picked up the baby and carried her to the grave.

“What’s he doing?” asked Livvie.

“He’s telling his wife and daughter about his latest granddaughter.”

“Oh–but they’re...”

“Yes, it helps him cope with his loss to tell them anyway and it harms no one does it?”

“No, I s’pose not,” Livvie accepted.

Simon put his arm around Livvie’s shoulder and began to walk away, “Some people believe they can talk to their dead loved ones, and who are we to say they can’t? As Mummy said, it does no harm and perhaps makes him feel better.”

“Okay, Daddy,” she answered before they’d gone out of earshot.

“They think she’s bonny,” Tom handed me back my bundle of joy. “They also think it’s lovely that ye can breast her.”

Trish gave me a funny look as she stood holding the pram waiting for the return of its occupant–it was her turn to chauffer her sister about. My expression back to her meant not to say anything and she shrugged.

“I think so too, Daddy and I’m glad they approve.”

“Och, they do that alricht, ye ken–but then they think thae wurrld o’ma dochter an’ a’ her bairns.”

I linked arms with him as we walked away from the graves, “You’re a wonderful man, Tom Agnew.”

“Aye, sae Celia used tae say–ye’ve no’ bin talkin’ wi’ her?”

We both laughed and walked on with a bemused Trish pushing the pram in front of us.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
199 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lovely going for walks.

When my better half and I go for walks we go blackberrying. Very theraputic and rewarding.

When you can't bike it's a good pastime.

Enjoy the walks,
Loving it.

OXOXOX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

hah, you meant picking

kristina l s's picture

Shows how insidious, my first thought was why ruin a good walk, leave the stoopid thing at home...then it clicked, actual berries...

Another nice one Ang, family banter and connecting and a bit of reminiscing. Even the little snit was sorted which is a good thing to do with snits. Keep on peddlin' you need to keep that knee loose.

Kris

A wonderful chapter of

A wonderful chapter of family togetherness on a nice day, yet Simon really knows how to spoil it by not keeping his mouth shut from his inane comments to Cathy. When will he ever learn? Oh yeah, he is a man, so probably never. I wonder if Tom's wife and daughter are part of Cathy's "visitors" at various times? They just might be keeping an eye out on her and the children. Jan

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1099

Thanks Angharad! Now we know the name of Tom Agnew's wife.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It's first mentioned in 414

Angharad's picture

Which is a tear jerking episode for those who want to revisit it; where Tom talks about his daughter.

Angharad

Angharad

such beautiful sentiment

I do believe Simon gets told No very often

3 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 8 gold starsDesHS.jpg

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

what a lovely way to come back to

Bike after a few days away, It's so nice to see everything going so well for Cathy and her family, That you almost begin to believe that things might stay as they are now.....But then you think, Hang on a minute....Since when has life gone smoothly for our Cathy?.... Surely life is not going to be nice to her for a change....Is it!!!!!

Kirri

Nice one

Thanks A+B, really enjoyed this bit:

“You doin’ the Sunday School walk?” she enquired.

It took a moment for me to understand what she said. “Oh no, these are all mine,” I smiled.

She looked horrified, “You need to learn to say no to him,” she advised and bustled on.

It's also nice for us readers to be able to share in the quality family time.

Perambulating Slowly


Bike Resources

A nice Catholic Family indeed,

or at least that is what that woman thought.

I believe is a beginning, not an end. I hope my family is watching over me, sometimes I think I can feel it.

Isn't Tom a nice man ?

What did the old woman think of Stella and Deseree. That maybe Simon was too busy ?

Cefin