Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1126.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1126
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Simon was back in London and I missed him, the bed felt cold when I got back into it after feeding the baby. I still love doing it, but it is taking its toll of me. I seem perpetually knackered. I only had just got back into bed and the bloody radio seemed to come on, grrrr some days I just hate Jim Naughtie. I mean he has to get up about four o’clock every morning, how can he be that cheerful and alert? Maybe he’s on something more than strong tea or coffee?

I rolled out of bed and staggered to the loo. Then got in the shower before I realised I hadn’t taken my knickers off. Oh sod it. Usually it’s earrings or my watch–which thankfully is water resistant. I did once go in there wearing my nightie, but that was proving a point to Simon so was deliberate on my part, although he still doesn’t know that–you know what men are like.

I dried myself off and rinsed off my knickers in the wash basin, wrung them out and left them to drip dry over the bath. After chucking on some clothes I woke the girls and sorted them after they showered, by which time I’d combed my hair out and tied it back in a ponytail. Once dried and in their undies, I blow dried their hair and styled it very simply. Trish and Livvie like ponytails, while Billie has two pig tails. They finished dressing while I dried my own hair, re-tied it up and went down to feed them.

Danny usually gets up whilst I’m sorting the girls, in that way he’s quite good. Julie is supposed to get him up, but it’s normally the other way round–he wakes her. I gave him a quick hug while the girls were squabbling over their cereal, he was pleased, he was taking his new football boots to school for a training session.

While they were all eating and talking, I expressed some milk for the baby and left it in the fridge, I managed to drink a cuppa while I did so, and scoffed a slice of toast as we walked down the drive to the car–Meems holding my other hand, Billie carrying my handbag and Trish running on ahead to zap the locks so we could get in.

We drove through the rush hour traffic, full of four wheel drives containing one child and driven by a twenty something woman, presumably the mother. The road works cost us a few minutes and did nothing for my temper, when as I was pulling out past the temporary traffic lights a motor bike came screaming past us horn blaring. I didn’t see him coming and I still believe I had right of way. He obviously came up the outside of the traffic queue and pushed his way past us. I was fuming–I mean, I could have knocked him off–or worse, scratched my paintwork.

I know we all get impatient, and on my bicycle, I do occasionally work my way past queues of traffic, but not when someone is pulling out. The last time I rode on my own, I nearly got doored by an obese middle aged lard-ball, who opened his car door without looking in his mirror. He didn’t like my greeting too much either, the fat moron–I expect he was going to get his newspaper and fags. He probably lives about two minutes walk away from the shop, silly man–the exercise would do him good–on second thoughts it might prolong his life, so forget that.

I walked the girls into school and after they’d gone off to their respective classes, I went to see the headmistress. “Ah, Lady C, how nice to see you–we have a date for your talk.”

“Do we? When is it?” I asked temporarily having forgotten about it.

“Friday the twenty sixth of November.”

“A week before my birthday–yeah okay, what time?”

“Seven o’clock, so some of the kids can come and see it.”

“Fine, I haven’t got my diary with me,” and before I could say out-takes, she’d scribbled it very neatly on a piece of paper and handed it to me.

“From your surprise, I take it that wasn’t why you’d come to see me?”

“Um–no, it was Trish’s games lessons.”

“Ah yes, the Wayne Rooney of St Claire's.”

“She doesn’t like playing it.”

“What? According to my games teacher, she was one of the few girls who seemed to have some idea of what soccer is about. Most of them run round in circles giggling.”

“They are only six years old.”

“Yes, but she could be the star of our team.”

“I don’t think so–she said she hated it and only did her best because I made her promise to.”

“Oh, I see–d’you mind if I speak with her about this, perhaps at lunch time?”

“Not at all, but if she’s really unhappy, I think I’d like to see what other games are available.”

“I take it she won’t like rugby either?” said the headmistress very quietly and sniggered.

“Rugby? I hope you’re joking.”

She nodded laughing so much she couldn’t speak. Once sanity returned, we discussed options. Hockey, or field hockey as they call it across the pond, was the other main winter game, with netball a second choice–they apparently play a basics game called First Step Netball and go on to High Five Netball once they’ve got the idea of the game–it’s a five-a-side game instead of the usual seven in the more grown up form.

I left it to the headmistress to speak with Trish, who would then tell me what she’d like to do. Netball brought back memories of humiliation in school. I think I mentioned that I refused to cut my hair and dyed it bright auburn for the Lady Macbeth thing I did. Well, they made me wear women’s clothes to school during the play’s run including the week before, from the dress rehearsal–so I could acclimatise to wearing skirts. If it hadn’t been so public a humiliation, I could have quite enjoyed myself, and getting ready before school and after getting home, I kept my school uniform on–it was made up of stuff from the lost property in the girl’s school.

Of course wearing a skirt meant I was exempt games, to avoid bullying in the changing rooms, or so I thought. Instead, I was told to go over to the girl’s school to play netball. They provided the little skirt and passion killer knickers all in navy, plus a top. I protested and was escorted to the girl’s school by a teacher who made derogatory remarks the whole way, including suggesting I stay with the girls once I got there. I asked him if he was going to play Lady Macbeth in my absence. He nearly struck me.

The girl’s PE mistress thought it was real hoot to have a boy, dressed as a girl, playing netball. Never having played it before, I was total rubbish–I kept getting my feet wrong, stepping out of circles and so on, including dropping the ball several times. Altogether, I went three times and each time I came away almost in tears. However, being totally pig-headed, I wasn’t going to back down and wearing the netball kit and the school uniform really pissed off my dad, who thought being made to wear them would cure me of my girlish tendencies. Did it hell? No way.

I sat for a few moments before driving home, thinking about my school days–Tom Brown’s they definitely weren’t and I sincerely hoped that Trish would do better than I did if she plays netball. My experience couldn’t have been any worse if I’d been asked to go to cheer leading with a girl’s squad.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
212 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It won't work, you know

I know your game, Ang. Lull us into a false sense of security with all this peaceful domesticity; then hit us between the eyes with another crisis.

After more than eleven hundred episodes, we're on to you, my girl!

Susie

I was thinking...

I was thinking much the same thing. The only question is where's the NEXT crisis going to come from?

Thanks for an interesting story. The morning routine - wow. It's hard enough around here... Roll out of bed with the alarm, Climb into something. Stagger down stairs & feed the ravenous beast (okay, the cute dog). Hopefully find a minute to do the necessary, before it's time to take the dog out oh his 20 minute drag (You can't call it a walk when the dog's behind you, can you?). Back, hoping the rest of the family got up, but if not, wake them up... And so it goes.

I don't know how I'd manage with the army Cathy has.

Thanks,
Anne

P.S. I think Cathy needs to spend a week or so driving around in Northern New Jersey during "rush hour" to gain some perspective...

Crisis?

Perhaps an RTA (Road Traffic Accident)? Cathy was full of pent-up anger on the drive down to the school (the most likely real-world location for Tom's house is on a hill above the majority of the city), so it's possible she could have an accident. On the other hand, she may witness an accident and draw the press' attention when they notice that their mysterious "Healing Angel" has returned.

Or, alternatively, since we had an RTA-initiated crisis back at the millenial episode and a whole host of more recent crises and mini-crises (the Drummonds, Trish's DIY surgery, Danny's feelings of exclusion...) Ang may be doing something even more evil - preparing us for a non-existant crisis.

Or perhaps everything goes fine until she gets home, and finds Jenny (the nanny) has had an accident so has to have some BLH. Which of course will set her up for a permanent post with the family.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Perhaps...

Jenny is actually F2M... And Cathy comes home to find HIM. It'd give Danny another "Guy" in the house. (Of course, I don't really expect this to be the case. But I was stretching for something "different".

I've said before

that Chez Cameron needs a secretary. The way things are going (family expanding, childrens' school and social activities, Cathy's work, etc) it won't be too soon. Questions; M, F or I, TG or not TG?

Far be it from me to attempt to influence the course of the story....

S.

I'm with you Susie!

Cathy is tired. What things might improve this situation?

  1. A personal assistant of some description. Jenny's obviously making a difference, but further help is necessary.
  2. A regular afternoon nap. Anyone who's faced the broken sleep of parenthood knows how much harder it is to function when you don't get enough rest.
  3. Regular meals, and not just snacks grabbed on the run.
  4. Simon being home more often to share the load.

Thanks A+B: I'm continuing to enjoy my favourite soap opera, and really appreciate the effort you make to deliver us our daily fix.

Personnel Support


Bike Resources

Ooooooooh!

I sense you're in one hell of a mood tonight Angie, what with Cathy getting up too early, 'lard-arsed door clippers', youthful, gymnasium humiliations and everything else.
What's up kid?

Tell Auntie Bev, make yourself a nice sweet mug of hot chocoloate then settle down with a nice romantic story.

Love and hugs

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Don't forget

the bubble bath and the purring moggies (not at the same time)

S.

The Daily Dormouse.1126

Next crisis? What about Spike? Haven't heard from our favorite in a while. And as for Trish and Danny, maybe Dany can help Trish to accept being a good player. She seems to think that girls shouldn't play the game as well as she does.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

maybe...

...if a 'real' girl gave Trish a run for her money, she'd develop some competitive spirit...

And I can't believe that motorbike was just a motorbike. It's foreshadowing, I just know it.

Weighty issues

Why does the hate towards fat people seem so prevalent in Europeon stories? It seems you have or should I say your Cathy character has genuine hate for those with weight problems. That they are just lazy, and deserve the ridicule. In some ways in your latest story, it could be construed as good riddance that the man die(although I think you meant that he could be healthier if he exercised. That the only reason he was fat was because he was lazy. But it wouldn't be out of the question to see it the other way. and It also seems in my opinion that other personal problems, some horrendous, by even "villians" of the storyline are given atleast some sympathy as to their motivation or circumstances.

Maybe I'm just sensitive. Maybe I'm trying to get sympathy or understanding from the wrong places. Maybe I deserve those comments cause I'm a fat lardball that should die soon. The depression in me, that I've had since 12, before lard Dom, and never goes away, would be able to declare victory. I wonder how Cathy would handle a possible fat foster child? Would she adopt them? Shame and ridicule them like religous nuts do to gay people to "cure them"? I'm just venting, and you don't deserve that. I do. I'm the one who should change or leave. Guilting people never works anyway. Hopefully I'll lose the weight, if not maybe they got a fatcamp upstairs. I'll delete this soon.Deleting a comment is like writing a letter and burning it. I just want to see my rant comment published, it's been nagging me for a while.

Good story otherwise, I've enjoyed it, and hope it continues for a long time

There was no intention

Angharad's picture

to insult any section of the community. When we're irritated by someone we don't know we tend to seize on anything about them we can dislike, they could just as easily be bald or blond, or seemingly stupid. This actually happened to me on Saturday - a man who was obese pushed his door wide open in front of me while I was riding past his car and I had to swerve to miss it. He struggled out of his car and I called him an idiot who should use his mirror. If we use the roads, we all have an obligation to be aware of others - we live longer that way. A significant number of drivers don't observe this obligation and pedestrians and cyclists get killed because of it. The individual I encountered fell into this category and I was annoyed by his lack of thought for others.

I spend all my working life helping others, I also do things in my spare time - but I'm no angel and do get cross with people too, and when cross am less sympathetic to problems they might have. I'm also no longer sylph-like myself, although I'm possibly the world's oldest adolescent.

My apologies if this episode felt insulting to any readers with mature body shapes.

Angharad the adipose

Angharad

On the subject of car doors..

It's not always the person opening the door that's in the wrong.

Case in point: My wife had just parallel parked - in a parking lot. Nobody coming either way, she opened her door - and it got taken off by another CAR going about 20 (based on the damage and skid marks - the kid DID apparently slam on his breaks). The kids were yelling at her for opening her door. Campus security eventually arrived, and since there were 4 football (American style) players in that car, and just my wife and a colleague in hers, told my wife that obviously she was in the wrong for opening her door into the other car (The guy couldn't tell a drag rip from a knocked off rip...) and that she should be more careful.

Sad story, luckily nobody was injured.

As to the query in point? I agree that people get angry in situations like you described. I suspect that had your earlier experience of the day been some young blonde, in a handicap'd parking spot, with no apparent handicaps, you'd have had Cathy experience a similar individual. (Yeah, I've muttered under my breath about people doing things like that, too. And, for all I know she did have a valid reason for the handicap license plates and parking there. But, I couldn't see it.) I also understand that it's far easier to get overweight than to reverse the situation. On the other hand, I've seen/known some people that HAVE managed to deal with the issue - case in point... A 30s guy in my in-laws town. He weighed in at 450 lbs at about 5'8"... He got a medical scare, and did a lot of things. But, today, he's about 160 lbs and, instead of staying inside moping at the world (his words - not mine) he's out helping others.

(Yes, I know there are medical conditions and medications that cause a person to gain weight. Been there, got most of the 40 lbs back off, still have a long way to go to get rid of the weight that was put on without medical help.) I know it isn't easy to do what's needed to lose the weight. *sighs* Not easy at all. But, given the right motivation, it can be possible.(Getting diagnosed with diabetes was enough for my wife to finally start losing, and working on it hard!) It's just that what motivates one person doesn't necessarily motivate another. A diabetes diagnosis was what got my neighbor to take off some of his excess weight (he's down to about 250 lbs - from over 300 and still going). Prior to the diagnosis, he was "indestructible" and slowly gaining over the two decades we've been neighbors.

Over weight people ARE easy targets. I've seen it over and over again (& even been guilty a time or two myself). As Angharad points out other groups are also easy targets. (Yeah, I've heard a bald person referred to as folically challenged, and another with a beard told his hair fell through his head and is now growing out his chin. Nice huh.)

Heck, most of the people that frequent this site probably have some way they can be denigrated by others, at least in some way. It's easy to perceive ridicule and such against oneself, specially when one is very sensitive to the issue, even if no ridicule was intended.

Anne

Not heard

much about Billie's first few days at school, So can only assume everything is ok, Mind you with sisters like Livvie and Trish around her, Who would dare pick on her !!

As for Cathys schooldays, Unlike her daughters she was not so lucky at school, What a difference a few years can make in schools attitude towards anyone who is a little different....

Kirri

Bullys

Cathy's school days sound horrific especially when the worst bullies seem to be the teachers. My science teacher took exception to my Englishness (in a NZ school) and embarrassed me often over my accent with his sarcasm, but he was an exception and today he would have been on the mat for his attitude. The worst of it was the way he used my difference to encourage the laughter of the rest of my class. He is probably dead now as I am nearly 80. I wish him well, wherever he is ....

Ellenz

A nice, homey chapter

I see black clouds in the distance, evil, black, rift with electrical bolts. They're coming this way
This tranquillity is about to end.

Cefin