Making of a Good Housewife Part 7

Printer-friendly version
Making of a Good Housewife

by

Jacquimac

Part Seven

It continued to rain on and off for several days until the ground couldn`t soak up anymore water, the river didn`t just burst it`s banks but continued to rise and slowly along with water running off the hills started to flood the town, all the businesses closed and started to attempt to take preventative measures against the water and schools were closed for safety reasons, it was the worst rain I had ever seen, over the past few years we had heard of other parts of the country being devastated by flood water with a few peoploe drowning in each case.

The electrics in Mavis`s Aunt`s house had been fixed and they had moved back home, but dad didn`t like the way the water was continuing to rise, and suggested to mum that she and aunt Debbie along with a few other women and kids in the area go to our cottage until the water level dropped.

We had a largish cottage just north of Scottish border and it was on high ground, with the added bonus that the bedrock was solid granite. Mum started to ring round and got another four families interested so preparations were made for leaving until we were notified when to come back.

Dad had already had the 4x4 in the garage for a good servicing and to be made ready for driving in deepish water in case it was needed, he and my brothers would be staying behind to give what help they could.

We knew the emergency services were geared up ready and the local army units were on standby, most if not all the women and kids were leaving the area as a safety measure.

Mavis and myself were looking forward to a holiday, but it wasn`t to be mum had decided that the headmistress would accompany us so our education wouldn`t suffer and the mothers she contacted were also teachers, what a bummer.

It took us the best part of that and the next day to get everything packed and loaded into a truck dad had hired, so the only thing we had to take in the car was the bare essentials.

The morning we were due to depart the heavens opened again and the water continued to rise, we quickly got everyone together and after saying goodbye to those we were leaving started to head for the motorway hoping that the flood waters wouldn`t reach the road before we did.

After several hours driving with a couple of stops for toilets and a quick meal we eventually arrived at the house, we all pitched in and before long the cars were unloaded. The mothers decided that unpacking would be left till the next day and after a hot drink and sandwiches we all went to bed.

Everyone slept late the next morning and when we kids were finally up and fed it was the case of sorting out all the suitcases and other stuff that had been brought with us. With so many of us the place was a bit cramped, we had an old set of stables that dad had turned into offices which we turned into a temporary school, the old barn became a play and games area.

Once everything was organised mum decided to take all the mums and show them around the area so they would know where the shops and such were and to introduce them to her friends, aunt Eileen stayed behind to see that we didn`t get into to any mischieve.

I hadn`t thought much about it but it suddenly occured to me that there were no boys included in our little group of refugees, not that it mattered much anyway.

That evening all us kids were got together a the ground rules were laid down,we weren`t to leave the grounds without an adult,we had to help with the cleaning etc and which areas were out of bounds to us. Sheesh it was going to be like living in a prison camp.

The next day was saturday and we were bundled into a couple of the cars and taken to see of the sights in the local area, I had seen them before but wouldn`t be bored as there was plenty to see, especially the Lead mine museum or one the half dozen roman sights that were found in Scotland. Sunday we all went to church and spent the rest of day getting ready for school the next day until aunt Eileen said she would going to see the local education authority and schools and see what assistance she could get from them. We didn`t think we would be here for long but as she said better to be prepared.

On the monday we spent more time getting the classrooms ready, as there wasn`t any chalkboards mum had some large plywood sheets delivered which we painted matt black, school books that we had brought were in limited supply and they were arranged in a couple of empty bookcases we found, there weren`t enough desks for all of us so we used the bigger tables instead. There were only half a dozen of us and it made it easier because we were all in the same class back home.

Needlework and domestic science were to out of school subjects taught in the evenings or for cooking at meal times, yes it was going to be interesting for a while.

Aunt Eileen returned late in the afternoon with piles of books which we unloaded, arrangements had been made for us to join in dance classes at the local girls school but other than that we were to be left on our own unless we ended up staying long term then other arrangements would be made. The only lesson we would have problems with was science, Oh we could do the theory but not any practical lessons.

The first week went ok with few problems which were soon ironed out. News from home wasn`t bad, the water had finally stopped rising but at the moment was draining away too well. Evenings were pretty bad on occasions with frequent rows between the older women, but that was due to so many people living in a small area and were always about niggly little things.

Friday the barn had been off limits to us kids, and Saturday morning were only wore oue vests and knickers under our dressing gowns as we had been told, we hated those navy blue school knickers. In the afternoon we all bathed and dressed in party frocks, Mavis and me wore matching frocks in pink with matching rhumba panties which showed everytime we moved, the pair of us looked like seven year olds.Mum must have searched all over to find those outfits for us.

We had a party in the barn but I think it was mainly to relieve the tension the women were felling.

That evening we were all sitiing round talking, when one of mums asked me " How are you liking being a girl ?" the room fell silent and a the mums looked in her direction with angry glances.

"I love it especially with all the pretty dresses, and did it really matter as my body was developing like a girls anyway I replied.
Mum was about to say something to her but I stopped her.
" No mum it`s an honest question abd deserves an honest answer"
"for those of you that don`t know the whole story, I didn`t choose to be a girl but my body doestn`t respond to Testosterone and is only producing Oestrogen, this is causing my body to start and develope like a girls body. After all the tests I was left with two options , to leave things as they were and always look like a girlyboy or become a girl so I agreed to become a girl. As a man I would never be able to have a sexual relationship with a woman anyway."

The woman came over to me, apologised and hugged me she said it didn`t make any difference to her and that if I needed any help or advice I only had to ask her.

up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Coming along nicely Jacquimac

Something nice and light is good for a change.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

the calm before the storm? I sure hope not!

PennyElaine
Aren't i a negative old woman, ha ha ha. Actually i am wondering Why Jacquimac has taken us to Scotland. There must be a reason, after all i was right when i thought that the rising water was a prelude to something.. So, they are in Scotland. Now what? Only stories for very little children just run along without a plot: there just HAS to be a reason for them being there!

PennyElaine