Nowhere to Run: Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
nowheretorun.png


Chapter 4

Que sera, sera

BANG! BANG! BANG!
I watched as Jennifer blew all those zombies away. My little gun wouldn't have been able to do that.
I start to pout.

"Hey, I got an idea. Why don't we attempt to call 911 and tell them we are trapped in Pawxie, and we can't get out because of all the zombies."

Hearing that from Jen makes me think, is the whole world like this or only in Mantri, Kansas?. "That's a splendid idea, Jen, do you still have your cell phone?" I notice her pulling it out of her purse and waves it to me. "I will stand guard while you call them."

"Okay, it is ringing" It is so quiet I can hear her phone ringing while the phone is up against her head. "No one is answering the phone, that's not a good sign." I hear Jen saying.

I continue to look to the left, rather than to the right, and see no zombies. "You know what Jen, maybe if we go on the roof, we will have a better reception, and maybe contact someone."

"Yeah, that's an excellent idea, Natalie." I noticed when we went through the kids area, there was a closet open and a metal ladder in it. I bet it goes to the roof." I keep looking around listening to Jen. "Okay, I will put some ammo into my purse, so we have some when we leave here."

I see how tiny her purse is. "You have to be kidding sis, that is tiny. We need something bigger." I watch as Jen picks up a small backpack with hello kitty on it, she hands it to me.

"Here you can carry some supplies in this backpack, plus it will look cute on you because it matches your dress." I take the hello kitty backpack and put half a dozen bullets in it.

I notice Jen has the same type of stuff in her backpack. "Are you ready, Natalie?" I stare at her, putting her bag on her shoulder.

"Yes, I am ready, I will follow you, and I will be watching our back so none of these zombies can sneak up on us."

We start slowly walking without making any noise, like some sort of Special Forces or recon marines. The only difference is we are two small girls wearing dresses, one with a princess backpack and me with a hello kitty backpack filled with ammo.

A few minutes later, we are moving through the kids area, and Jen stops in front of the closet. "Okay, I think this is it, Natalie. It looks like the coast is clear, so you up the ladder first."

"Okay, but you come right after me. I close the door, and the zombies won't open the door, and if we have to come back, we will know there's none in here okay?"

I look down and see Jen staring up at me climbing up the metal ladder bolted right to the wall. I hear her giggling below me. "What's so funny Jen? I can hear you are giggling from up here."

I can see up your dress. I hear her continue to giggle. "Now I understand why boys look up girls skirts. How do you feel having someone look up your skirt now that you're a girl?
I ignore her.
As I get to the top of the ladder, I push on it and the top swings open. It was dark outside. It was a bit hard to see, but with the lights still on from the airport, I could look at some things. I climb out onto the roof, looking around, making sure we don't have any unwanted visitors. "Okay Jen, it seems safe up here."

"Okay, I will try 911 again Natalie," Jen says, looking all-serious at me.

I smile at her. "Do you need the number for 911 Jen?" We both turn at each other and laugh, and we hear the cell ringing over, and over, but no one is answering. The phone must have rung forever, and still, no one answered.

"Well, little sister, we are only a few stores down from McDonald's. Let's see if we can find that roof access and climb down there and get some food. Are you as hungry as me?"

I straighten up my dress. "You bet I am starving, I could eat a horse, well, as long as it wasn't a zombie horse. I giggle."
We start to walk across a few rooftops access, Jen opens one, and bingo says McDonald's all over the boxes at the bottom of the new metal ladder.

"I reckon we struck gold, this is the one, McDonald's. Let's hope and pray we get lucky, and they have food." I watch as Jen goes down the ladder before me.

I start giggling after I close the hatch. "Why are you giggling, Natalie?" I look down at her again.

"Well, we are on another ladder, and you are under me. I bet you can see my panties again."

Jen looks up at me. "You are weird."

Jen starts to turn the doorknob slowly, and I aim my rifle in the direction in front of us. It's dark again as I watch Jen's hand reach over and turn the light switch on. "Oh crap, look there is a dead zombie on the floor, he has a hole in his head. I hate when that happens."

"That's not funny, Natalie." We both look around, not seeing anything or anybody. "I wonder how this zombie was killed?" I don't see anyone else around. We move further into the store and see no one else there dead or alive.

I sit at one of the benches and put my gun on the table, lifting my legs onto the bench. The moment I get relaxed, I hear. "Natalie wake up." I take the gun and see Jen aiming hers towards a dark shadow advancing towards us. Just as I am trying to focus, I can see better.

"Girl's don't shoot me, I am your mother after all." The second we hear her voice, we know she isn't a zombie, plus her hair still looks pretty, so that for sure makes her no zombie.

Jen and I both run over and hug her. "What happened mom? We saw the zombies climbing all over you. We wouldn't have never left you there, but we thought you were done for."

"It's okay. They must have knocked me out when they fell on me, and both of you shot them all so none bit or eaten me so to speak, so I just started to search for you both. I see you both close the door to that closet, but by the time I got there, I had to shoot my way to it, and I didn't want any following me."

We both continue to hug mom, listening to her explain her adventure. (Another Hollywood moment unbelievable)

"I am starving, and I guess since you both wanted to come here, you both must be as hungry as me. I will cook some food. Why don't you both rest up and I will cook us a little something." I smile and eyes Jen smiling simultaneously.

I go and sit back at my table, putting my rifle back on the table.

As I sit at the table, I stick my tongue at Jen, and she only smiles back at me sitting across from me at the same table. "This may take a while, so just take a nap, and I will wake you both when dinner is made, girls."

I close my eyes. A short while later, I am out cold and almost snoring. "Mom, can you hear little Natalie?"

"Yes, she must be tired, she even has cute little snores." Jen smiles as she watches me sleep. "Doesn't she look like the cutesiest laying there?"

Mom smiles.

I must have had a bad dream because Jen and mom heard me crying. Mom came over and cuddled me. I was sitting up. "Please don't cry." Mom smiled, trying to comfort me.

"I can't; I'm too scared the zombies will get us."

You don't have to worry. I checked the doors, making sure they were locked."

"I don't think I can sleep, could you sing me a song?"

"Natalie, just try to sleep."

"Please mom, just once."

"Oh, alright," I closed my eyes and listened to her beautiful voice. 'Will I sing like her someday?' I thought.

When I was just a little girl, I asked my mother, What will I be? Will I be pretty? Will I be rich? Here's what she said to me. Que sera, sera, Whatever will be, will be, The future's not ours to see, Que sera, sera. What will be, will be"

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

good

good