Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2981

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2981
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I woke up sweating with my heart thumping and feeling quite sick. Dreaming of the accident we’d witnessed reminded me of the one I’d had in the Porsche, where it had rolled down the field into the stream. I was so lucky that day—a smaller car and I might have been killed outright or drowned afterwards. I thought of the couple who’d died in their car, a large BMW, who if they were the parents of the girls, can’t have been that old themselves. Then I thought of the girl who died, she can’t have been much older than seven or eight—what chance of life did she have? It reminded me of Daisy and of course of my Billie. Stumbling to the loo, my eyes full of tears I tripped over a pair of shoes I didn’t see and nearly ended up in the wardrobe. I jolted me awake after a wee, I lay there listening to Simon sleeping.

Thankfully, the next day was Sunday and I’d hoped to watch some of the TdF, though life rarely follows my plans which was happened on that day. I rose early as it was dry and bright and dressed in my cycling kit. I slipped downstairs and had a cuppa before pulling on my cycling shoes and sneaking out to the bike shed where I checked over the Specialized and after locking the door, clipped into the pedals and headed up the road towards Hayling Island, which means effectively riding around Langstone Harbour. It was only just six o’clock according to my computer and only the odd dog walker or bird watcher was around.

At Hayling Island I found a shop open which did coffee at a rip off price but bought a cup and rested while I drank it, then set off for home on the reverse of what I’d done on the way out. I was back at eight just in time to shower and get the children up. When Danni learned I’d been out on the bike she was cross with me for not waking her—is she really a teenager? Mind you Hannah was irritated too as she likes to ride with me. While it would be nice to see one or two of them become interested in riding, today I was glad to be able to get out on my own, blow away the cobwebs plus the images from yesterday and my dreams. I felt tired but more relaxed.

The rest of the morning was taken up by pandering to the children and doing things with them. Danni and Trish went off for a run so Livvie, Hannah and Meems helped me do some chores, then we made some cakes and ate the first ones with a drink mid morning.

David came to do dinner and I surrendered the kitchen to him taking the girls off for a walk in the sunshine, though it didn’t feel that warm in the breeze. They all came back with roses in their cheeks just as Phoebe went off with Tom to walk the dog.

Julie was ironing her salon overalls, the smock things she puts over the punters. She washes them once a week unless they get soiled, bringing them home to do it so she can iron them. They have a washing machine at the salon and do the towels there, putting them in the tumble drier afterwards, but she usually does the overalls here. I gave her a cuppa and one of the cakes, David had one too. I mentioned I’d seen Phoebe going out with Tom and she said she’d laddered her last pair of tights so was going down the shop to get a new pair. I told her that I probably had a spare pair she could have had. She simply shrugged and said the exercise would do Phoebe good.

I wondered what had happened between them but perhaps they were just being sisters. Hannah and Livvie started shouting at each other over some CD they each claimed to own. On my intervention they both kept up their claims of ownership, so i asked Julie if she knew whose it was and she said it was hers. Trish came by and I asked her to copy it twice and give one to each of the squabbling sisters and return the original to Julie. Whereupon, Trish laid claim to it and then she and Julie were squabbling. I told her to make three copies and went to hide in my study with my cuppa.

There were probably a dozen things I should have been doing but I logged on to my emails instead and found one from IBM, they were cancelling the research funding due to the Brexit vote and looking to work with a European university, such as Prague. I couldn’t believe it, I was halfway through the paper outlining the research we were proposing to do and what it would cost and it just disappeared in a puff of smoke. That was now four projects we’d lost and even the county council were sending out letters saying they weren’t sure what their financial position would be in the immediate future.

Simon came to see where I was and found me staring at my computer. He read the email and patted me on the shoulder, “I’m afraid everything is now couched in uncertainty and will be for a few years, but no more than fifty or so.” If he was joking I wasn’t laughing. He went off outside to do some gardening having read the paper. I just felt like crying. The department I’d spent a year building up was crumbling before me just because some morons wanted to send a message to government or had nostalgic dreams of a Great Britain that never existed. We had the largest navy in the world until the First World War and the worst admirals, certainly at Jutland we did, where the German fleet escaped through some clever manoeuvring and the incompetence of Jellicoe and Beatty. Nelson would have sunk most of them—though he nearly lost his flagship HMS Victory at Trafalgar, being saved by HMS Temeraire which was immortalised in Turner’s painting of the ship being towed off to its final berth before being scrapped.

I roused myself from my misery. I was fortunate, no matter what happened, Simon had enough money for us to live comfortably which was more than many people had. I had no idea what our withdrawal from the EU would do to university education or to conservation. Everything was now in a state of flux or turmoil. My lack of sleep seemed to catch up with me and I felt tired and hopeless, almost wishing I could wake up and see it was all a bad dream, but it wasn’t—this was real life and somehow we had to sort things out or the younger generation would be even more disadvantaged than we were. Churchill was right about one thing, ‘The best argument against democracy was a five minute conversation with the average voter.’

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
263 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

we see the same thing here in the trump campaign

He's telling older, racist, frustrated voters that he can "restore" america to the way they think it was in thier glory days of the 1950s or there about. They of course want the fantasy thus will believe anything he says.

... and still sad that Cathy couldn't save the older child.

Make of this what you will

I was having lunch with a friend today ( She is a retired Solicitor) we were discussing The EU, I said I felt like I had been punched in the stomach when I heard we had voted to leave, she replied so did I, I said I thought you were going to vote leave she said I did but I didn't want to us too

Dave

Jellicoe/Jutland

Sorry, I strongly disagree with you. Tactically, Jutland was a draw. Give credit to the Germans, for the battle turn away maneuver. Strategically, Jutland was a clear victory for the Royal Navy. Germany remained blockaded and the German fleet never came out again.

Beatty, who was lionized at the time of Jutland, does deserve criticism. He was overly aggressive and would have lost his entire command, had he not had Queen Elizabeth class battleships. If, as was usually the case, Beatty's command was "exclusively" battle cruisers, he'd have lost the lot. British battle cruiser's were, and remained, poorly protected. Hood vs. Bismarck, in the 2nd edition of 20th Century Global Insanity, is proof.

BTW, Nelson knew French gunnery was poor and British gunnery was excellent. That allowed him to split his force and achieve a SUPERIOR result. Jellicoe knew full well the Germans could shoot well and did not take risks that could have been disastrous.

G/R

The cost of experience

Rhona McCloud's picture

The price of gaining her experience of life has been a bargain in Cathy's case but the ongoing cost of having had so many dramatic experiences will be high. The more we see the more we are aware of how many things can go wrong. Going out for a ride by herself shows I think that Cathy is on track after witnessing the bloodbath Angharad so harrowingly described.

Rhona McCloud

British had a secret weapon

British had a secret weapon at Jutland, ASDIC, actually known as sonar, developed in my town, and secretly shipped to England in time for the battle, this allowed the Brits to detect U-boats.
Hopefully, financial things will normalized quickly.

ASDIC not used at Jutland,.

ASDIC was not developed until 1917 after the battle of Jutland.
ASDIC
In 1916, under the British Board of Invention and Research, Canadian physicist Robert William Boyle took on the active sound detection project with A B Wood, producing a prototype for testing in mid-1917
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonar

The big advantage the British Navy had was they broken the German Naval codes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_40

Continue this?

What are you thinking? Of course we want Cathy and family to continue in whatever storyline the feline authors give us!
Everyone of course understands where you are coming from, but how about a story line that involves Cathy in a situation that requires her to review all the "miracles and prophecies" that have happened beginning with the accident with Stella and going from There? This could be done over a few chapters or as many as our feline ( love them very much ! ) care to give us.
AND speaking get of this possible story, line, if any of you have an idea, tell us here, that our much beloved authors can perhaps develop into a story line. All is not lost when it involves The Daily Dormouse. And of course this does not mean your story will be developed, but does hopefully add to possible story line the feline authors already have in mind - after all we all know how independent cats are!!!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Brave act at sea 5/11 1940

Brave act at sea 5/11 1940 HMS Jervis Bay When she gave her life to save many lifes.

She could move her survey to

She could move her survey to Ireland (NUI Galway).
She would still be in the EU.
The dormouse makes first appearance in Ireland
Species probably introduced here by accident while hibernating in hay
The public can help by reporting discoveries to the NUI Galway survey team at dormouseireland @gmail.com, or on 086-0660208 or visit Dormouse Survey Ireland on Facebook.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/the-dormouse-makes-fi...