The Best Damn Thing Section 6

Printer-friendly version


When You’re Gone

The fight started in the summer before my freshman year.
It was verbally bloody and nothing was off-limits; no words were barred.

In the blue corner, my sister, who was five months pregnant
In the red corner, my parents; who were not pissed about the pregnancy but more over the fact she had left home for a week and never said where she went.

She told them and they were still angry because she living with a new boyfriend who lived across town; this was not the father of the baby; at least that’s what she told them.

The argument went on for a few hours with my parents, brother, and sister trading off piss and vinegar with each other.

I stayed in my room—I could hear everything through the wall in pure digital sound. I wanted to ask why my brother was even involved in the discussion to begin with, with maybe the only thing being was that if she left he could have the room to himself and not have to share it with the “fairy princess” which was an insult he tried to pin on me.
And I took and wore it as a freaking badge of honor.

My sister stormed form the living room and out on the front door.
I ran out the back and around the house as she opened the passenger side of a car.
There was a a strange, older, man siting in the driver’s seat.

She was crying, but there was a look of anger on her face, even as she looked at me.

“What!” She barked before looking away as she tried to drive her eyes.

The car’s engine turned over and roared to life.

“Take me with you, please.”
“I can’t right now. It’s all too complicated.”
“But this is Hell.”
“I know. Can you try to hold on for just a bit?”
I didn’t take this as a question but more of a death sentence.
“Hey, just try to hold on longer. You’re stronger than me. I know you can.”
The front door opened and dad stormed out. I stepped out of the way of the car door as my sister closed it.

Dad slammed his hand on the hood and went for the driver’s side door but the old guy driving floored the car in reverse and it slammed into me.

The fall to the pavement didn’t hurt as much as one would think. Unlike my previous fall years ago this one did run in a drug-infused-like slow motion way. My dad’s eyes flashing red like a killer; my sister’s face displaying absolute fear and the guy driving gritting his yellow stained teeth.

She rolled the window down as the continued to move backwards down the street.
“The suit!”
Those were the last words I ever heard from her.

Dad screamed and ranted like a gorilla so much that he collapsed to the ground.
Mom ran out of the house and my brother came out behind her.
She stumbled over to Dad and screamed for someone to call 911.

Everything looked like footage from a camera held onto by a thirteen year-old as my brother jumped up and ran into the house. I never got up from the ground until some time had passed and an EMT had snapped me back to reality.

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Never mind the son the car hit

Jamie Lee's picture

Their daughter had made her decision, but the son the car hit was on the ground and may need medical help. And the parents only had eyes for what their daughter was doing. Great example of terrible parents.

Hope he isn't hurt to badly or in need of surgery.

Others have feelings too.