Daddy's Little Girl

Printer-friendly version

This is a very short story/vignette about a father who's doing what he believes is best for his child and what happens when others disagree with him.

Daddy's Little Girl

Copyright 2008 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

While deftly weaving between all the strangers meandering like zombies through the crowded airport, I stole a glance at the little girl sleeping in my arms.

"No," I thought to myself, "that's the kind of thinking that lost me custody in the first place. He's my son, not my daughter."

Even though I knew Melissa -- no, Michael -- was very serious when he said he wanted to be a girl, the judge seemed convinced a five-year-old couldn't make that kind of a decision even before Theresa's lawyer presented his argument. Attempting to bring out that he'd been living as a girl for a year and still hadn't changed his mind had only made things worse.

"AeroExpress flight 212 is arriving at gate 16C," announced a disembodied voice, sounding much too chipper for four o-clock in the morning.

"Oh sh--." I shifted Michael higher on my hip, did an about face, and trotted in the other direction.

My son lifted his head from my shoulder and squinted up at me. "We at Mommy's plane yet?"

I brushed a few silky strands of his auburn hair behind his ear. "Not yet, pumpkin," I answered as I put on what I hoped was a reassuring smile to hide my worry. It was hard to do when I thought of how he'll probably react after he finds out about Theresa's plans to give him a 'decent' haircut.

A shudder passed through me as I started imagining what else might happen in the month he'd be with her before we saw the judge again. Even though I knew without a doubt that she'd never do anything to hurt our child, I also wondered how far she'd go to try to 'help' Michael. It had taken a lot of thinking and soul searching before I'd decided running away with him would probably cause more harm than a short-term shift in custody arrangements.

Michael blinked sleepily, but I could still see both the curiosity and worry behind his eyes. "What she like?"

"Oh, she's the most wonderful woman I've ever known." That was the absolute truth, which made her blindness to what was really going on with our child even more maddening. I knew I was going to get angry again if I brooded about it too long, so I desperately grasped at the next thought that floated by. "Jack seems like a pretty nice guy."

He gave me a much more serious look than a child his age should be able to manage. "Mommy told me he could be my daddy."

I quickly swallowed the lump threatening to choke me. "I'm sure he'd make a wonderful father."

"That mean ya ain't gonna be my daddy no more?"

I froze, ignoring the angry muttering of those passing me. The pain in Michael's -- no, Melissa's -- voice and the lost look in her eyes broke my heart. "Sweetheart, I'll always, always be your Daddy."

My assurance was rewarded with a tiny, brave smile.

"You know what else?" I asked as I brushed a tear from her delicate cheek.

"What?"

"You'll always be Daddy's little girl."

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That's heartbreaking...

You made me cry, durnit! It's a good scene, but I don't want to know more. It would hurt. Even if everything came out alright for poor little Melissa in the end, the path there would be too painful for me to observe. And if you wrote it, I would be driven insane with distraction until I did read it. The mark of a good writer/author is that they make their audience/readers FEEL. You certainly live up to THAT measuring stick...

Sad vignette...

laika's picture

God, what a hard thing to do! But this dad doesn't really have any choice.
The life of a fugitive ...... It sure is an understandable first impulse but not
really a viable option. I .just hope Theresa really is "the most wonderful woman"
he's ever known. People who have open eyes and an open heart can sometimes come around,
despite their social {etc.} conditioning. That closing line might give Melissa something to hang onto
during the rough, confusing months ahead. [See my PM full of annoying unsolicited story advice.]
~~~hugs, Laika

So Sad

Dear Heather,

Oh, the story is so, so sad and beautiful. There is an aura of possible tragedy. The Daddy seems like such a good, sensitive, but rational guy. Maybe too law abiding. He seems to love his ex. I wonder if Melissa's unusualness had something to do with the marriage breaking up? It was probably NOT Daddy cheating on Mommy.

Thanks so much for writing and posting this piece.

Big, Big Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

That's for sure, Renee

He sure didn't cheat seeing as SHE already had a man who she has said to the child MIGHT become his daddy.

That the child lived a year as a girl suggest the mom abandoned them or was unable to care for him/her for a year. Very odd that but then the courts are strange entities.

Seems as if the mom gave up custody but when she learned her son was living as a girl and she now had a prospective husband she suddenly got all motherly. This is why I both pity judges and think very lowly of them. Of the two times I served on a full trial, the one judge was aloof and unhelpful to us and was ranked the worst judge in milwaukee county. The other judge was one of the best, a training judge, explained things to us well and made the jury feel welcome, but he and his wife were alcholics and sometime fought violently. That cost him his job and later his life.

In the end the circumstances behind this broken family are unimportant. What matters is it seems the childs welfare is a secondary thought at best as the adults have decided what is best for HIM even though the judge saw the child only in court and the mom hadn't been with the child in a year. We can only hope the child will cope and the mom will see the light before it is too late and he is a sad and sucidal man. Maybe the new dad is decent and not a,'we'll beat him into a man' type. He need not be violent to still harm the child as may well the mother, you can kill though misguided kindness, IE He's a confused boy, well do everything to encorage him as a boy and he'll grow out of it." Let the child decide, he or she knows what is in their heart.Why choose who they will be for the rest of their life so early on.

Powerful stuff, Heather.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Next time

warn someone when we are going to need the tissues. This is a very heartfelt teary eyed story.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

How beautiful and sad

That the mother just couldn't see her child for who she is. And now because the father was supportive, he lost custody? I pray for Melissa's soul and that maybe the mother will open her eyes and realize her child is her child. Irregardless of her child's identity, whats so wrong with just wanting to be happy?

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Sorry

My reaction was so strong I had to express it in a story.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Sorry for the sad story

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for voting and leaving comments for this story. Sorry it came out so sad. I'd tried to put some hopeful elements in it so it would feel like there's at least a little hope things could turn around for Melissa. Hopefully I'll be able to come up with something a bit more cheerful the next time I post a story.


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer