The Prince Bride - 4

Printer-friendly version

The Prince Bride - Chapters 8 & 9
By Missy Crystal

Prince Charles was heir to the throne. At his christening, three of the four fairy protectors of the Kingdom (the kind with wings and wands) appeared to give him the customary blessings for a future king. The fourth fairy sister, arriving late from partying all night with the elves, mistakenly believes the baby is a girl and gives her the blessing of being a happy bride. Can the fairy magic be undone? Will the prince grow up to be a queen of one kind or another? Read the story and find out.

Chapter 8. True Love

Under the influence of the magic and with the guidance of Elisse, Princess Charlene blossomed. Even the most critical ladies of the court could find no fault about which to gossip and all else were captivated by her grace, poise and charm. As she enjoyed meeting foreign visitors, practicing her languages with them and learning about their countries, word of the beautiful princess spread quickly. In return, inquiries came from other kingdoms seeking alliances by marriage. All were politely declined by King Henry, who professed that the Princess was too young for consideration of such proposals.

One morning, as the Princess' sixteenth birthday approached, she remained in her apartment, instead of going to the library. Elisse, who would not relinquish her domestic duties and passed the time while the Princess read by housekeeping, expressed her concern.

"Is something wrong, Princess? Are you ill?"

"No, Elisse," the Princess assured her as she sat down on the settee and arranged her skirt, "all is quite well, but I wish to speak with you and so have tarried. Please come and sit by me."

Curious as to what could be of such importance that it would keep the Princess from her usual routine, Elisse joined her.

"Dear Elisse," the Princess began, holding out a red velvet covered box, "I have a gift for you."

"Your Highness, please, it is not necessary."

"Of course it is not necessary, Elisse," the Princess agreed with a smile. "If I was obliged to do it, then it would not be a gift. Besides," the Princess reasoned with her, "it is not for your pleasure that I do this, but for mine. Would you be so cruel as to deny me?" the Princess added with mock sadness.

"I have taught you too well the feminine arts, your Highness," Elisse conceded, shaking her head. "You know I can deny you nothing."

"Then open the box Elisse," the Princess said eagerly, holding it out to her.

Removing the lid, Elisse saw a gold chain with a flower pendant, the petals of which held a pearl. She immediately recognized it as the one that had come from the jewelry box on the night she had first dressed the Princess.

"Your Highness, please, I cannot accept this," Elisse protested. "It was a gift to the Queen from her mother, as it was a gift from your mother to you and as you must give it to your own daughter."

"Elisse, what you saw when I first undressed before you has not changed," the Princess reminded her. "I shall never have a daughter. It is you on whom I must depend to provide me with nieces and nephews, a task too long postponed on my account. We each have our magic which must take its course. Mine is to be a bride and yours, the greater, to be a mother. There is in that regard, I believe, a handsome young lieutenant who is quite taken with you."

"Please, Your Highness, do not send me away."

"Send you away, Elisse? As the pearl in the pendant is clasped by the petals of the flower, so you are the pearl held forever in my heart," the Princess comforted her. "Not a day goes by that I do not have occasion to ask myself what Elisse would do if she were I. You are, of course, to remain here in the palace and, for that reason, I have another gift. As you know, the Queen moved to these quarters when the King took me away from her. As she has returned to him, so I wish to be closer to them. These rooms are now yours. Your bedroom should make a most convenient nursery."

Elisse could find no argument to contradict the Princess' decision and so her eyes filled with tears. The Princess moved to tears herself, put her arms around her constant companion and best friend and the two shared the tender moment. When each had exhausted their emotions, they separated.

"Although I am reminded that sisters do not command sisters Elisse, there is one order to which I believe you will not object. Upon my departure, you are to invite Lieutenant Ulrich in and obtain a proposal. I shall be quite cross if you are not betrothed on my return," the Princess pretended to admonish her."

"I am your obedient servant," Your Highness," Elisse retorted, "but may I have your permission to wait on my royal commission of motherhood until after the wedding?"

Both girls broke into laughter and hugged each other. The Princess then went out, leaving the door open

"Lieutenant Ulrich, would you please come here," Elisse called to him.

The Lieutenant responded immediately. Ever vigilant when it came to the Princess and Elisse, he looked around suspiciously, hand on his sword. Seeing no danger, he stood to attention, awaiting his orders.

"If I was in distress, Ulrich, would you come for me?" Elisse asked, addressing him informally.

"Were we separated by a convention of dragons, my lady, they would be in peril for their lives, need I reach you."

"I see no dragons, Ulrich. Might we attempt my rescue without them?"

"Are you in danger, Lady Elisse?"

"Yes, Ulrich, for my heart has been taken captive and only you can free it. As I recall, you were most awkward when you first met the Princess. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity for you to practice kneeling, do you think not?"

"Yes, my Lady, I could think of none better."

Ulrich placed his hand on the hilt of his sword, tilting it backwards and got to his knees, looking up at Elisse.

"Elisse, I have loved you since I first saw you and would have you as my wife, if you would accept me."

"And I, dear Ulrich, would have none but you for my husband. Luckily, the dragons are still absent, so you may kiss me without interference."

Ulrich rose and took Elisse in his strong arms. Bending down while she stood on her toes, their lips met.

The King and Queen were delighted with the news of Elisse's engagement to Ulrich. They offered the couple a royal wedding, but, true to their natures, they preferred a private service with only their families in attendance. On their wedding day, all were present in the royal chapel. The Archbishop entered and proceeded to the altar. When his preparations were completed, he signaled to the orchestra. There was a blare of trumpets, announcing the entrance of the royal family. As Ulrich was a Royal Guard, the King had chosen to wear his own military uniform, a red tunic with two rows of gold buttons, festooned with gold braid, black trousers with a gold stripe and polished black boots. On his head was a gold crown set with gems that glittered in the light from the hundreds of candles which brightly lit the room. The Queen was elegantly attired in an emerald green long sleeved dress with a full skirt ballooned out by a half a dozen petticoats. The low cut bodice was embroidered with gold thread in an intricate floral design and displayed on her neck, ears, wrists and fingers were literally the crown jewels. On her head she wore a gem studded coronet. It was the Princess, however, who captured everyone's attention with her natural beauty as she demurely followed behind her mother and father. She had chosen a dress in a light green which coordinated with her mother's, but was more understated. The bodice was higher and fitted tightly with gold laces, complimenting her figure. Her long, wavy blonde hair cascaded around her shoulders and was set off by a plain gold tiara.

The men knelt and the ladies curtseyed as the King, Queen and Princess passed by on their way to the dais behind the altar, where they seated themselves on gilded thrones upholstered in purple. The King nodded to the orchestra, which stuck up a military air. All eyes turned to the door from which the royal family had entered, as the traditional approach to the altar from the rear of the chapel was prevented by the need for the guests to face the King while in his presence. Ulrich marched in, knelt when he came before the King, stood and saluted, as the King was also his commander-in-chief, and took his place beside the altar. All eyes turned back to the door, as the band began the traditional wedding processional. There was a chorus of oohs and ahhs from all assembled, as Elisse appeared. Her dress, designed and lovingly sewn by her father, was made entirely of white lace, yards and yards of the fabulously expensive fabric made into a voluminous skirt which swirled in a cloud of petticoats atop which was a fitted bodice with a high neck and long sleeves. Her head and face were covered with a traditional white lace veil, secured by a wreath of white flowers and in her clasped hands she carried a bridal bouquet. Elisse had not wanted such an elaborate gown, but the Princess insisted that she would not be married in any dress, but the one Elisse had worn, insuring that it would be fit for a princess. As usual, the Princess got her way, although, in truth, it was a concession that all brides would gladly make.

Once she arrived at the altar, Elisse took her place beside Ulrich and the service began. Each plighted their troth and Ulrich slipped a plain gold band on Elisse's finger. The Queen had also offered to commission a fine ring as a wedding gift, but on that Elisse had her way, despite the Princess' cajoling.

"While my dress we may share, little sister," Elisse gently chided the Princess, "my wedding ring shall not part from my finger."

The ceremony concluded with the Archbishop placing Elisse's hand in Ulrich's, symbolizing their union. Ulrich then turned, lifted his wife's veil, and tenderly gave her the first of a lifetime of kisses. The orchestra resumed the wedding processional and the newlyweds exited, stopping on their way to pay their respect to the King. Once they had gone, the King rose and addressed the guests. "Although Elisse and Ulrich would not accept our offer to make them a royal wedding, they cannot deny my hospitality," he announced jovially, "and so, you are all invited to a reception in their honor. The pages will direct you to the hall." The King then extended his arm to the Queen and escorted her out, the Princess following behind them.

Once the royal family had left, the guests were led to a large hall, down the center of which was a gigantic table that could seat dozens, but was set for the number of guests. At the head of the table was an elaborate chair on either side of which was a smaller ornate chair, the right slightly larger than the left. At the other end of the table were two other chairs of more importance than the rest, each with a white cushion and decorated with white ribbons, the seats of honor for the newly wed couple. All stood in attendance on their majesties entrance, which was heralded by the trumpets. The men knelt and the women curtseyed as the royal procession took their places. The King then gestured for all to rise.

"Although our time at court is filled with ceremonies, none pleases us more than the celebration of the marriage of two who have served us faithfully and whom we hold in great regard. In their honor, you are today relieved of all formality. Please be seated and enjoy your meal."

The King then sat, but the guests hesitated, giving the Queen occasion to speak.

"It is most difficult for us to enjoy our dinner, if the guests stand while we eat, and the offense shall be in your disregard of our invitation to join us, by which the service of our meal will be delayed. My husband can be quite cross with those who have caused his food to cool, and so I advise you, for your own good, to sit," the Queen said with a smile, to put the guests at ease.

All took their seats. The King then gestured and a convoy of waiters made their way to the table bearing platters of roasted lamb, beef, fowl and fish, bowls of steaming vegetables, loaves of freshly baked bread with tubs of creamy butter, trays with an assortment of savory cheeses and carafes of the finest wine in the kingdom. When all of the goblets were filled, the King stood and raised his, the guests quickly following.

"I propose a toast to the bride and groom. May Ulrich and Elisse live a long and happy life filled with the joys and blessings of marriage." Still holding his goblet aloft, he continued, "and to their mothers and fathers, by whom they were raised, our gratitude, for they please us well."

The King then signaled to the orchestra, which commenced a traditional romantic tune, upon which cue, Ulrich and Elisse made their entrance. Ulrich still wore his uniform, but Elisse had changed into a more modest white dress, to protect her bridal gown from distress during the meal, as it was yet to attend a royal wedding. The couple walked slowly, arm in arm, to the end of the table, the King completing his toast upon their arrival at the place of honor.

"To Ulrich and Elisse," he repeated, taking a swallow of wine.

"Long life and happiness," all echoed, drinking a libation.

The King seated himself and motioned for all to follow. His plate was filled and the banquet began. The children, used to the small portions and the limited fare of their frugal parents, sampled all before them, expecting that never again in their lives would they have such a feast, and royal belly aches were guaranteed by the assortment of pies, pastries and confections which followed. Their parents, although recognizing the consequences of their offspring's gluttony, indulged them, both in deference to the King and in recognition that, indeed, it was a once in a lifetime occurrence. When all had eaten to bursting, the King again rose, the guests struggling to their feet in response.

"A wedding celebration would not be complete without gifts, and so it pleases us to bestow upon the bride and groom these tokens."

The Queen then stood up.

"Elisse, might I have your presence," she requested.

Elisse came forward and curtseyed.

"When you first entered the service of Princess Charlene, you were given a symbol of your authority which now needs to be returned."

Elisse understood that the Queen meant the ring with the royal coat of arms on the gold chain which she wore. Although she had never removed it, her duty as a wife would conflict with her commitment solely to the princess and so it was proper for her to relinquish it. She reached behind her neck, unfastened the chain and handed the necklace to the Queen.

Smiling, the Queen then produced a small purple velvet covered box. Opening it, she explained to Elisse, "Although the necklace served its purpose, such jewelry may prove tempting to tiny hands when dangled over a cradle."

Elisse blushed and looked over to the Princess, who returned a nod and smile.

"Please accept this replacement," the Queen said, opening the box, removing a brooch and holding it for Elisse to examine.

In deference to Elisse's taste, it was of simple design, a miniature gold shield with the royal coat of arms intricately inlaid in silver. Elisse's eyes were filled with tears by the renewed expression of royal confidence and confirmation of her continued service to the Princess. The Queen stepped forward and pinned it on Elisse's dress, appropriately above her heart. Elisse returned to her seat to a round of applause, her family filled with pride at the award of such an honor.

The King then rose.

"Lieutenant Ulrich, front and center," he ordered.

Ulrich came forward and knelt.

The King beckoned and a long polished wood box with fancy gilt fittings was brought to him. Opening the box, he withdrew a sword.

"Your dedication as protector of the Princess has been commendable, Lieutenant Ulrich, but for such a duty, not any blade will do."

The King motioned for Ulrich to stand and when upright, handed him the sword. As would any soldier, Ulrich admired a finely crafted weapon and even a cursory look showed this to be the finest he had ever seen. The scabbard was of tooled black leather and the tip was capped with a gold dragon. The hilt was covered in matching black leather, bound with gold wire, and the guard continued the dragon design, the gilded tail extending across the bottom of the hilt to form the cross guard and the body extending up the hilt, the head and mouth curved backward, to form a hand guard. It was the pommel, however, from which Ulrich could not take his eye, as inset into its flat gold top was the same royal coat of arms bestowed upon Elisse. Since Elisse was seated behind him, he could not turn to look at her, but he was sure the dragons were her design and, had he been able to do so, he would have seen that she had a smile which, were it any wider, would have done damage to her cheeks.

"I take it that you find the sword acceptable," the King asked casually, full knowing the answer from Ulrich's expression. "You may speak."

"Your Majesty," Ulrich replied with humility and uncharacteristic eloquence, "I would guard the Princess with a wooden stave, should it come to that, and give my life in her service, for which duty I need no encouragement or reward; but wielding this weapon it will ne'er come to that, for I shall have no match, much to the pleasure of my bride, who seems to favor my return. I am greatly honored."

"Well said, Lieutenant Ulrich. It has been my observation that a husband should have authority equal to his wife and so you too are permitted to display the royal coat of arms, as is she; but it has also been my observation," the King counseled, turning to look at the Queen, "that discretion in its exercise is necessary, should you wish to produce a goodly supply of heirs."

The Queen, understanding her husband's reference to his insistence on carrying out his plan for thwarting the magic and their resulting separation, nodded her agreement at his deference. The adults in the audience smiled knowingly at the King's sage marital advice.

"Might I have the sword for a moment, Lieutenant," asked the King, although such a request was one not to be denied.

Ulrich knelt and offered up the sword across his two hands, which the King accepted. Drawing the sword from its scabbard, something only he could do, as it was a capital offense to unsheath a weapon inside the palace, he held the polished blade aloft, then gently brought it down, first on Ulrich's left shoulder then on his right.

"Arise, Sir Ulrich."

Although steadfast in battle, Ulrich could not mobilize his legs to stand. The King patiently waited while Ulrich composed himself and, finally regaining his strength, he got to his feet.

"You are Elisse's knight, of that there is no doubt, and she should have none less."

He returned the sword to its scabbard and replaced it in its box, closing the lid. He handed the box to Ulirch and, looking to the end of the table, the King told him, "I believe that there is a beautiful young woman waiting to bestow a kiss, who, for both your sakes, should not be kept waiting. You are dismissed."

Ulrich saluted, wheeled around and marched to his bride, carefully placing the fabulous gift on the table before her. Taking her in his arms, he accepted the expression of her affection and pride for an exceedingly long time, to the great enjoyment and eventual applause of their families.

Chapter 9. Love and Marriage.

At the end of the evening, the newlyweds were sent off with the customary congratulations and well wishes, farewells were said and the rest of the guests departed. The King and Queen retired and, when in bed, recounted the celebration.

"I do so enjoy weddings," the Queen commented. "They are such happy occasions."

"Yes, dear," the King agreed, "and, speaking of weddings, you know that Charlene is now of age. I cannot keep putting off the proposals from neighboring kingdoms. It is time I selected a prince for her to marry."

"Do you think that is wise, Henry? Charlene is quite headstrong and I do expect she will want to select her own husband. Nor do I think it prudent for us to intervene, as the spell appears to find its own direction."

"Perhaps you are right, dear," the King acknowledged, "but how then is she to meet her prince? Our marriage was arranged and it has been most satisfactory."

"Most satisfactory, Henry, after all of these years? That is how one refers to a meal, not a wife. Am I no more than that?" the Queen challenged her husband.

"Oh, for heaven's sake, Charlotte, I did not mean that you were most satisfactory. I mean, well, of course you are most satisfactory. I mean, you're more than most satisfactory," the King sputtered. "I love you. If I quested my whole life, I could find none better. I was only trying to say that there was nothing wrong with our parents making the choice for us. Are you not pleased?"

"You recovered well, my love," the Queen relented, snuggling close and giving her husband a kiss on the cheek. "Indeed, I am pleased, but my pleasure is of no importance. It is the magic with which I am concerned. What if your choice is not its choice? Might it not dispose of the prince in some dire way to make things right, as the fairies warned us can happen when a spell is contradicted? Dare we risk it?"

"Your intuition has been good," the King acknowledge, "and I have no reason to doubt it now, but how then is the princess to find a husband? Shall we wait for the magic to bring her one? What if we are wrong and none come? How then will she be a bride?"

"There may be a way," the Queen suggested, "for I believe that it is the end, not the means, of which we must be careful. So long as the choice is Charlene's to make, we may offer her suitable princes to consider. I think a grand ball, to which those who wish to court her are invited, would do. If all who are eligible are there, then surely the enchantment will do the rest."

"It is a good plan indeed, Charlotte, for I suppose that, under the circumstances, her being a bride is more important than the diplomacy of who she marries. Please make the arrangements, although there is one matter of concern to me."

"What is that, Henry?" the Queen inquired.

"Charlene is a perfect daughter, so much so that it has been many years since I gave thought to her true nature. Although we have always assumed that she would marry a prince, how do we know for certain that her taste, well, given that she was born a boy, that she is interested in men? I have never seen her show any such interest, although perhaps it is something a girl confides to her mother. Has she?

"No," the Queen replied, "she has not."

"Would it not then be an embarrassment to invite the princes and send them all away, if Charlene is not of that mind? Should you not inquire before we do so?"

"Me, Henry?" the Queen asked with dismay. "I was innocent when I came to you and know only how to please my husband. Might we not find a woman of experience to advise the Princess in that which wins a young man's heart and in so doing discover her romantic preference."

"Charlotte, have you lost your senses? You want Charlene to consort with a common prostitute? I will not hear of such a thing," the King objected.

"Really, Henry, of course not. I meant a lady of the Court, one of good family and breeding, but who, well, I have heard rumors of such things, is generous with her affection and, to retain her station, would be discreet. Do you not know of such a woman, dear?"

"Me, Charlotte? I too must protest. Although, in truth, I cannot claim innocence on our wedding night, I have kept my marriage vow and there has been none other, even during our years of separation."

"I am sorry, Henry dear," the Queen apologized, "for I meant it not as it sounded, but only that men speak more openly about their affairs then women and so thought that you would be privy to such conversations."

"Perhaps amongst themselves the men of the Court so boast, but my disdain for such ungentlemanly behavior is no secret and so they avoid discussing their amorous exploits in my presence for fear of incurring my displeasure."

"Well, then, Henry, it would seem that it is I who must find a suitable instructress for the princess and so I shall inquire. For now, dear," the Queen whispered provocatively in the King's ear as she slid her hand under his nightshirt, "I believe a reward for your fidelity is in order."

TO BE CONTINUED

up
31 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't 'spect I cotton much

laika's picture

to the notion o' royalty, but this King & Queen here is good folks!
Another wonderful installment! I hope Princess Charlene finds someone
as good as Ulrich, whether it be a royal wedding or at a simple
tyin' th' knot at a county courthouse in California :)
~~(pardon mon conepone)~~~hugs, Laika

I remember this from FM, interesting twist on a Fairy Tale theme

I do hope you finish the story this time.

I am keen to see if the mistaken fairy's blessing that seemed a curse becomes a greater blessing than anyone expected.

IE will the mis-blessed prince become a complete and beautiful princess, possibly even possessing some ablity for magic herself? Mixing magics can do strange things. good or bad. I still think that Fairy needs to be repremanded. A terrible case of opperator error. And the fallout -- IE the King's reaction -- deprived the prince/princess of siblings and a normal childhood.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Happily Ever After

Thanks for remembering. There was so little reader feedback on FM that I stopped posting the story. I apologize to you and those few readers who never found out how it ends. I made some revisions in this version, added two chapters and it WILL be completed. You had some good predictions, but none of them are right and who says Prince Charles would have had a happy childhood without the fairy's intervention. S/he took to being a girl very easily once given the choice. Was that the magic or was he born transgendered? Like Princess Charlene muses in the Library, "feeling the softness of the petticoats on her legs, perhaps she got the better of the blessings." Maybe Buttercup knew more than she let on and she was just giving nature a nudge in the right direction? You think?

Hugs, Missy

Loving Spoonful

terrynaut's picture

Hey. I think Loving Spoonful is a band. Wait a sec ... no ... actually, the band is Lovin' Spoonful. I was close. There's a restaurant called the Loving Spoonful though. Ummm ... where was I again?

Oh yeah! Hey! I love this story. I'm not normally "this" distracted when I post comments but it's late and I've been sick. Don't worry though. I feel much better now. :)

I prefer fantasy to science fiction and this story just reinforces my preference. The story is very easy to read and the party fairy's enchantment was a nice touch.

I love how the girls and Queen are educating the King. Men! They're such silly creatures. *giggle*

Please oh please oh please keep up the good work. I'll keep reading, like for sure, and I'll try to post more comments. Totally!

Hugs

- Terry