The Voyage of the Visund -23-

Printer-friendly version

Having recovered, Ursula resumes her rounds with Senia. A new patient has a sideline of interest to Ursula while a chance meeting with Tyra brings an unusual request. When they return to the Mansion, Fanis surprises them both.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

23 - Tyra


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2019 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Is that an oon or an ahn?" Ursula asked, pointing.

"An ahn, I think," Senia replied, looking closely at the street sign. "You can see how it has begun to weather and the tops of all the letters have almost gone." She tutted. "Normally no-one would permit the signs to become that bad, I suppose it has to do with the invasion. I doubt not that someone will be about to repaint the sign eventually, especially if we mention it to somebody in the city maintenance department. So, if it is an ahn, then, what do you suppose the sign to say?"

"Zinakh Lane? Zinakh Way? Is that right? What is the difference, anyway?"

"Way would be the correct meaning here, I deem. The spelling and the sound would be the same but, see, the umb on the end? That changes the way you pronounce the word, so that the stress comes in a different place." She demonstrated.

"Ah, I see," Ursula said. "I wondered what the umb was for as it didn't seem to have a sound to go with it. In my native tongue there is something similar to that. But what, then, is the difference between a lane and a way?"

Senia explained, "A lane is one that is wide enough for a cart or a wagon. A way is usually wide enough for someone on a frayen, but not for a cart. If they are narrower than that, they will be named alleys." She tutted again. "The end of that sign is bad. Of course, anyone who lives nearby or who has regular business here already knows where they are, but Joth is full of strangers these days." The healer nodded. "I will mention this sign to someone when we get back to the Mansion, I think. It is not the first worn one I have seen along my rounds, though of course I barely need them these days."

"Signs are not so important to me, Senia, as actually knowing where I am. Now that I have been going round with you a while I have a much better idea of the layout of the city now. Putting names to the streets and alleys can only improve my knowledge - and my reading."

Five days had passed since Ursula's Call and she was now back out and accompanying Senia on her rounds again. The Scribe, Serek, had been of less assistance than expected at the beginning of Ursula's reading lessons. Somehow he had involved himself in a furious argument with Eriana and stiffly withdrawn his offer of help. To everyone's surprise, the mediator in that argument, Kalmenar, had offered to assist instead and had proved much more useful. As he had said at the time, "Mistress, while the Visund is yet docked at Joth there is little for me to do. I would be delighted to spend some of my spare bells helping you to learn to read."

"Are we going that way, then?" Ursula asked. "This new patient of yours, I don't think I know where they live."

"Aye, along to the end and turn right into Ropewalk Street. It is only a short way after that."

They walked slowly along the shadowed pathway, grateful for some temporary shade from the high sun. Even so, Ursula could feel the heat radiating from the bricks which made up the road surface and was glad of her loose thin dress and her straw hat. Because of the heat there were few people about at this time of day, everyone keeping inside their homes until the sun swung and the coolness returned in late afternoon.

Ursula was thinking of the time, and of lunch. "Will that be the last one?"

"Aye, Ursula. A wood turner who managed to cut himself on the arm with a chisel."

"I remember. You told me when I was indisposed."

"I was told that the wound was clean but that it had damaged some of the muscle there. Are there ways..?"

Ursula shook her head. "We can tidy such things up, but there will always be damage to that muscle. The lower arm, you said? Those muscles mainly work the fingers, so he might find that his grip has changed, or that he has some other limited movement."

Senia pursed her lips. "A significant impediment to any craftsman, I deem. This is the first time I will have visited him so I do not know the extent of his injury. Mayhap the damage may be more visible than functional."

"We can only hope."

At the end of Zinakh Way they turned into Ropewalk Street. It was much hotter here, with limited protection from the sun. They crossed the street and went along the sidewalk to a smaller lane which Senia indicated. Before they could turn down it, however, there was a shout from the road.

"Ho! Is that Ursula and Senia?"

They turned to find out who had hailed them, expecting one of the many patients who now knew them both by sight. Instead they found five riders on frayen, each leading a pack animal. They were all dressed in what Ursula now understood to be typical travelers' attire. The lead rider was Maralin.

"Tenant, good morning. You have finally managed to get away, then?"

He grinned. "Aye, though with considerable effort. If I believed in fate I would think that someone didn't want me to go on this trip."

Senia asked, "You are off to the ferry at Thorn, then?"

"Aye, that's right, Mistress Senia. You are still on your rounds, I see?"

"Just a final one before I return Ursula to the Mansion for lunch," she replied. "You are going all the way to Palarand, I was told."

"Aye, all the way to the palace, if the latest message is to be believed. His Majesty has even offered accommodation for me and my men."

Ursula looked to see that three of the other riders were men who had been with them on the Visund when it arrived, Varran, Murtel and Shekan. The fourth was an armsman she had seen before but did not know the name of. She nodded to them and Varran raised a hand in greeting.

"My!" Senia said. "I have heard of the amazing building that the King's palace is said to be. I imagine that half of what I have heard is not true."

Maralin smiled. "You are probably right, Mistress, but the other half is true, and the reality would surprise you. That building is huge and few people know their way around all of it."

"You have been there? Then I would ask that you bring me back a description of what you see this time, that I may learn the truth."

He laughed. "Mistress, it would take a week or more to tell you everything. Now I am afraid that we are keeping you out in the sun as well as cooking ourselves. By your leave, we must be going."

"Yes, you are right, we should not delay each other with small talk. You have had enough delays as it is."

With a wave Maralin started their little party off again, to head for the Northern Gate, the one that led to the ferry port at Thorn. Ursula followed Senia along the lane until she stopped at a gate beside a small two-storey house. Pushing the gate open, she entered and walked across the small rear yard to a workshop which took up the whole width of the plot.

"Master Putto, I thought I would find you working out here."

The man turned sheepishly in his seat at his bench. "Mistress, I apologize, but if I do not work my family does not eat."

"But using your injured arm means that it will not heal properly and you might never regain the full use of it - all of which you know full well."

"But I am not using it, Mistress." He glanced at Ursula. "I am forgetting myself. You have a helper, I see." He stood and turned, showing Ursula that his injured left arm was in a sling. "Mistresses, I am Putto Turner at your service."

Senia explained, "I am Healer Senia, asked to visit you by Larna, who has other business today. This is Ursula, who is a visitor to Joth and an experienced Healer. In her own lands they do things differently and so she accompanies me that we may learn one from the other."

"Be welcome here, Mistress, Mistress," Putto said with a bow.

"Thank you, Master Putto," Ursula replied.

Senia asked, "What is it you were doing, if I might ask, that you can do one-handed?"

"Mistress, I may not be able to turn but I can finish pieces of certain shapes. See," he sat down again, but facing the two women. "I can trap this chair leg firmly between my own thighs and then smooth it with sand-cloth. By doing so I will use otherwise wasted time until I can turn again."

Senia considered and then nodded. "It is good enough, I deem. Like many you cannot afford to be idle long and so I applaud your clever thinking. Now, I believe that we must needs look at your injury."

"Of course. Will it be possible to do so out here? The baby is sleeping and it would be a shame to wake him as he - and we - need all the sleep we can get."

"As you wish, Master Putto, but we will need fresh water and some cloths. We probably have everything else between us, do we not, Ursula?"

Ursula nodded and Putto said, "If you would go to the back door and open it quietly, Mistress, my wife will give you what you need."

Water was available from a pump in the yard but Putto's wife provided a basin and some towels before retreating into the house. Senia began by unwrapping the existing bandage. The two women looked over the wound. It was a ragged puncture on the inner arm, about five centimeters from the elbow.

"If I may ask, how did you do this?" Senia enquired. "I thought you wood craftsmen learned early to beware of such dangers."

"I was startled," the man replied sheepishly. "A lab came from somewhere - maybe the sewers - and ran across my feet under the lathe. I jumped, the chisel caught the piece and flew up, bounced off the wall at least two times and caught my arm on the way down."

"A lab? Here? I thought it was too hot for them in the city now, that they had retreated into the surrounding farmlands."

He shrugged. "I know not, Mistress but we do have a sewer entrance there," he pointed to a stone hatch set in the corner of the floor, "and men were down there last week making sure it is cleaned out before the rains come. Mayhap they disturbed a nest of labris."

Ursula thought it best not to ask about labris right now but to wait until later. It seemed to be some kind of pest that lived in the city drains.

"Well, let us clean your wound, then. Ursula, a cloth? What do you think of the wound?"

She replied, "I think that Master Putto has been lucky this time. He will have a scar, of course, and there may be some pain for a while as the muscle mends. He is fortunate that it did not happen further down, where it could have affected his fingers, his grip."

"Mistress, your words comfort me," Putto said. "I have wondered if there would be any impediment to my craft. You are telling me it is not so."

"I think so. The wound does not look deep and I don't think any nerves will have been affected. Once the scar has formed you will have to do some simple exercises to build up that muscle, that is all."

Ointment was applied and fresh bandages were wrapped around the arm. Ursula glanced around the cluttered workshop - and noticed something interesting.

"You make musical instruments!"

"Aye, Mistress, and repair them. Of course I am mostly concerned with those that can be turned on my lathe, but I can carve mouthpieces and other parts as well should they be required. If I may ask your interest?"

On another bench were six or seven instruments which looked very like simple recorders, along with three that looked like flutes. Most were in various states of construction but at least one of each looked playable.

"Would you mind if I have a try? I have wondered what the instruments of..." She caught herself in time. "...the Great Valley would be like to play."

Both Putto and Senia stared at Ursula with astonishment.

Putto asked, "You can play music, Mistress? I have never heard of such a thing."

Senia added, "Ursula, like many things, in Joth music is only played by men."

"Different lands, different customs," Ursula replied. "In the land of my birth we make no distinction as to who can play music. Of course the men often end up with the bigger instruments but otherwise, anyone can do it if they have the talent."

"But..." Putto began.

Senia remarked, "Mayhap it is like the riding of frayen by women, Master Putto. Until recently it was not done but Ursula here is even now learning to ride, by His Grace's permission, and I have thought to learn myself. It is just something new to Joth, that is all, but obviously not new to Ursula."

Ursula asked Putto, "May I try? I will be careful. These are all new to me and I do not want to damage them."

"Well, Mistress, I do not know. You say that you have wondered what these sound like? Have you not heard our music, then?"

"Oh, I have heard your music, all right! Um, let me just say that it is..." Ursula changed what she was about to say to avoid offending the man. "...different than what I am used to. The instruments, though, look similar to those I am familiar with."

Putto was reluctant but could not think of a way to refuse Ursula. "Then you may try, Mistress. Perhaps that one on the right, the pukan."

"You call this a pukan? On... Um, where I come from this would be called a flute."

She picked up the most finished-looking of the pipes and looked at it carefully. A simple turned wooden tube with holes spaced along one side. One end was closed off. She lifted it to her lips, the tube off to the right hand side, and blew across the leftmost hole. A satisfying clear note came out the other end. Nodding, she arranged her fingers over the other holes.

"Mistress, do you play that way? Your right hand is the wrong way round."

"This is the way we are taught, Master Putto. Now, I have no idea what this is going to sound like -"

She blew again, lifting each finger to see what different sounds were made. After that she tried a few combinations before putting the flute down on the bench.

"Thank, you, Master Putto. That was most unexpected. I think, with a little practice, that I could play that properly. Although... it was not my favorite instrument."

Putto stared at her with respect. The look on Senia's face was not much different.

"Mistress, that was indeed unexpected!" he said. "Your fingering looked strange but it was obvious to me that you knew what you were doing. Shall you try one of the farbis?"

"These? If you do not mind."

The farb was easier to play since the mouthpiece was carved to make a note. Her fingers rapidly went through the possible notes, telling her that, despite the recent evidence of her own ears, their scale seemed to be much the same as that used on Earth.

"Mistress, I am impressed."

Ursula lowered the farb. "Not as much as I am. I was not sure that I could do any of this any more. It has been a long time since I last picked up any instrument."

"Mistress? But you are so young! Did you then learn to play as a child?"

"It's... complicated. Yes, I was taught several instruments as a child before choosing one to learn properly. Then I dropped all of them to learn... healing instead. I could play, but my attempts were not special. I could not have earned a living as a musician." She gave a half-smile. "And I am told that I am about twenty-three years old here. Where I come from, we calculate the days differently."

Putto looked confused but didn't say anything. Instead, Senia said, "Master Putto, this has been very interesting but we must leave you now if we are to return to the Mansion before lunch."

"The Mansion? If I may ask, what business you have there? I did not know that any of His Grace's staff were unwell."

"You should not ask after personal matters, especially of a healer," she chided him. "The simple answer, which I can still give you, is that Mistress Ursula is a guest of His Grace and resides in the Mansion. I must return her there before I go home."

Putto bowed. "Forgive me, Mistress Senia, I inquired where I should not have. Aye, I shall not keep you any longer... except for two things. How much longer might it be before I may use my arm again?"

"As soon as I can take the bandage off, Master Putto, but you must needs do some strengthening exercises to build up the muscle in that arm. Perhaps a week, no more than ten days, I should say. And the other thing?"

Putto turned to Ursula. "Mistress, if you have an interest in the instruments I make, and perhaps that of others who do, then you will be welcome to return at another time, when you and I may consider such matters at leisure."

Ursula thought. "Like Senia I am somewhat busy, but I will remember your invitation. Thank you, Master Putto."

Back in the lane Ursula set her hat to cover as much of her head and shoulders as possible. Even during the short visit to the turner the heat had become fiercer. She wondered what it would be like in a month or so at midsummer. Beside her, Senia adjusted her own hat and the two set off for the Mansion.

At the end of Ropewalk Street they turned into the main thoroughfare which led from the docks area towards the Mansion. They had barely done so when they both had to stop to avoid a collision.

"My apologies, Mistresses! I did not see you turn there."

"Why, it is Tyra, is it not? Do you go to the Mansion? I am returning Ursula there."

"I am, I have had a half-day's ease to be with my family. If you are going to the Mansion, may I walk with you?"

"Surely. How is your father these days?"

"He is well, thank you, Mistress Senia. He has been back to work some months now and Mama is glad that he is not sitting about the house and getting in her way."

Senia made an aside to Ursula, "Tyra's father is a fisherman on the river. When the Yodans came he was struck about the arms and head and it has taken some time for the injuries to heal. While his body healed in their place of refuge his mind has taken longer. The shock of what those people did will take a long time to fade from the city's memory, I deem."

Ursula said, "I see. One day somebody must tell me what happened but I see that it is still a sensitive subject today."

"If he had not departed I would have suggested that Maralin told you all. Since he is lately arrived at Joth he has a certain detachment that many of the residents have not."

"No doubt I will find out all I need to eventually."

"As you say. It did, after all, affect the whole city."

They walked along side by side in silence for a block or two before Tyra asked a question.

"Mistress Ursula, I believe that you reside with one of Her Highness's armswomen. Do you know much of their art, how they became armswomen? Like most in Joth I find it amazing that any woman can bear arms as they do."

"I know very little more than you do," Ursula replied. "Her Highness's ship sailed from somewhere in Palarand, so I was told, but I did not join them until part way through their voyage upstream. I know very little about Her Highness, her men or her attendant women." She thought. "I do know that it was not thought right for her to travel alone with a whole shipload of men."

"I should think not, Mistress! Especially a Princess. I cannot imagine anyone of her rank without at least one attendant nearby, it would not be right."

"I would agree, though Her Grace seems to me to manage."

"Ah, Mistress, but she does have attendants! She has two ladies who attend her in her chambers and one of them usually accompanies her should she go forth in the city. In her own household there is often no need for a constant attendant since the Mansion is not so large, several will always be close at hand."

"Well, that is true, but I assume that you were asking about Her Highness's attendants because they carried weapons. I know that where they come from there are a small group of armed women who are part of the Royal Guard, or whatever it is called, but how they joined it or why I do not know. I have never been to Palarand."

"Ah," Senia said. "I can enlighten both of you, then, though I cannot give you the full detail. Tenant Maralin has explained some of it to me. It is said that a girl traveler, much younger than either of you, came to Palarand about this time last year. Despite her age and size it was she who brought the idea of women fighting and, in fact, she proved this by fighting off several attempts on her person, killing some herself in the process."

Ursula asked, "Is this Princess Garia that you refer to?"

"The very same, though she was no Princess then, of course. Well, she began training the Palace Guard in ways of fighting unknown in the Valley and eventually, seeing her example, several of the women servants in the King's Palace sought to join the Guard. Then Princess Eriana appeared, on her own ship, a runaway from her own father -"

"Really?" Tyra's eyes were wide.

"Really. The story is confused but briefly, she and her men desired to assist Palarand in the war against Yod. By then Yod had captured Joth but it seemed that Boldan's Rock was a weak point in their plans. Eriana offered to go and retake the fortress with her men, but the King insisted that she take female companions with her." An aside. "You know how difficult it can be sometimes, should you be on your own. By taking women who could fight they served two purposes, female companions and also warriors."

"Maker! And they fought beside the men?"

"Indeed, Tyra. It was the women who first gained entry to the fortress, pretending to be pakh-herder women caught out in a winter storm. The attack was successful and that was the beginning of the end for those of Yod."

"That's amazing!"

Tyra's excitement was clear and Ursula drew an obvious conclusion.

"Are you wondering if you could become a woman warrior, Tyra? I do not know if that is possible in Joth."

The girl's face dropped. "I did. I thought, maybe - I don't know. Do you think such dreams are foolish, Mistresses?"

"I do not think such dreams are foolish, Tyra," Senia answered. "I could not tell you if this is something that you would be able to do, though, since such matters are strange to me, as they will be to most in Joth. His Grace might know, perhaps even have considered employing a small group of women, since he has traveled to Palarand and spent time there. Maralin might also know but he has now departed, you will not see him for a month or so."

"Departed? When? Where?"

"This morning, for Palarand. Actually, we passed the Tenant and his party earlier, in the street. The reasons will be known only to himself and His Grace, of course."

Senia flicked Ursula a meaningful glance. Since she was now in on the secret, it was apparent that some kind of courier service would be needed between the two places where people from Earth resided, and that Maralin would be the obvious person to provide it.

"As you say."

They walked along in silence for a short way, then Ursula asked, "Have you thought to talk to Bennet or Semma? They would tell you what you needed to know, I am sure."

"It is not my place, Mistress. I am only an upstairs maid, after all."

"I think," Ursula said gently, "that if you wanted to become an armswoman, then you would be expected to show some initiative as well as take orders. In many respects Bennet and Semma are only servants like yourself, just ones who can carry and use swords, that is all." She considered. "Let me ask Bennet when they return this evening. She can tell you what training you would need, whether there is any level of education you would be expected to have and what kind of duties you might have to do. Of course," she added with a smile, "I know nothing of any of these matters."

"Oh, would you, Mistress? I would be most grateful."

"I can only ask, Tyra. I cannot make you an armswoman, if that is what you really want to be."

"I understand, Mistress."

As they walked towards the Mansion Ursula studied Tyra properly for the first time. Until now she had been 'just' one of the servants, scurrying around quietly in the background in the colors of the Ducal house. On the two occasions she had been asked to act as chaperone for Ursula's reading lessons, she had stood behind, out of sight and mostly out of mind.

Now she saw a young woman, about her own age or slightly younger, the same height with the typical long dark brown hair of the local population. She looked fit, but then if she was an upstairs maid she probably had a lot of physical work to do. Her skin was browner than Ursula expected, but if she went home for a while every week then the sun could do that.

The servants here have been fairly unobtrusive. It is nothing like what I was used to on Earth, but not so strange if I consider the different staff one gets in the average hospital. They have a job to do, just as I have.

She had another thought then.

But what, really, is my job supposed to be? Why am I here? Simply to teach medicine to these people?

She was still puzzling over her circumstances when they walked under the entrance arch of the Mansion.

"Ursula," Senia said, "As we are at the Mansion, I have one more task I desire to do before I leave you and go home. If I may, I would like to see Mamoot. How is he faring?"

"Oh, he is fine, Senia. I did not want to let him out of bed for a week after the operation so he spends much of his time resting - and grumbling, as patients often do. He is in his room on the top floor, I'll lead the way." Remembering they had a companion, Ursula turned to Tyra. "We'll have to leave you now, Tyra. Unless you have an interest in becoming a Healer?"

Tyra bobbed. "Thank you, Mistress Ursula, Mistress Senia. No, though I must admit that I could be interested in what it is you both do, I do not think that I would want to do it myself."

The servant girl bobbed again and walked off towards the center arch and the rear of the Mansion. Ursula and Senia followed more slowly, turning left under the center arch to the stairway which led up to the armsmens' quarters. It was shaded here, in the stairwell, and Ursula was glad of the reprieve from the sun as they climbed. Out on the balcony, she led the way along until they reached an open doorway. Conversation came from within so she knocked on the door.

"Mistress Ursula! If you would enter, please."

Mamoot turned to the two armsmen standing by his bed. "Sorry, lads, the healers have come. You can tell me what happened after lunch."

One of them said, "I have duty then, Mamoot, but Verik is on the late shift, he can tell you."

"Aye," the other one agreed. "I'll come back after my nap... if these ladies are agreeable."

"We have no reason to keep you out," Ursula said. "Just so long as he stays in that bed and you don't try to smuggle any beer or wine in here for him."

Verik bowed. "As you command, Mistress." To Mamoot, "After our nap, then."

The two men left and Ursula and Senia took their places.

Mamoot nodded to them. "Mistress Ursula, Mistress Senia, good day to you both."

"Well, young man," Senia said, "I've come to see how your wound is progressing. You have had no sickness since the operation, no sweats or fevers? No other pains?"

Mamoot was propped up in his bed, resting on several pillows. Because it was so hot for most of the day, he was on top of the bedclothes, and he wore one of the new 'utility' shirts and a pair of new cargo shorts.

"Mistress Senia, I have not. Apart from the heat, which everybody suffers, I have no complaints. Many of my fellows, as you have seen, come by and keep me company when they are off duty. Still, I would rather be back at work than stuck in here."

"I understand. You suffer the same complaint that every patient does, that they are not well and would rather be somewhere else entirely. If we may look at your wound?"

Mamoot raised his shirt and pulled down his shorts a little way. His scar, still with the stitches in place, was plainly visible. Senia leaned over to examine it closely.

"Remarkable." She straightened up. "Ursula, you have done Joth a great service, I deem. This man will have nought but a scar to show for cheating death." She smiled at Mamoot. "Doubtless he will prefer a scar to the alternative."

"I must agree, Senia," Ursula said. "It looks as if it is healing well. Of course, we can only see the outside, not what is happening deep inside, which is why Mamoot is still in bed. I had thought to let him walk about from tomorrow because otherwise he will begin to lose muscle tone and get stiff. What do you think?"

Senia nodded. "If the inside is in the same state as the outside then I deem it is all healing very well. Yes, let him rise from tomorrow, but," she held up a finger and turned to Mamoot, "you must not do anything to strain your lower body, do you hear? I don't want to come back and find that your scar has torn because you thought that you could go back to duty. That will not happen for another three weeks, and I will tell Captain Hambran that myself."

"As you command, Mistress." Mamoot's expression was solemn. "If I may ask, what food am I permitted now? Is it still to be the soups and soft foods you prescribed before?"

"It was Ursula who told you your food, not me."

Ursula said, "I think we can begin to allow a little more variety, Mamoot, but we still have to be careful. I will have a word with Master Farren and see what he can suggest."

"Thank you, Mistress."

"So, you may rise tomorrow, and eat a breakfast of porridge, maybe a little bread. Water or pel is fine but I don't think I want you drinking small beer just yet, not until I am sure everything inside is working as it should. Of course there should be no proper beer or wine, thought I know you don't drink wine, do you?"

"As you say, Mistress. What am I permitted to do tomorrow?"

"You can go and watch your friends at practice, but I also want you to do some walking around, get your blood flowing and your muscles working." Ursula remembered something. "Oh, and take it easy climbing up and down stairs, please. That can strain your stitches."

"As you command, Mistress."

The two women left Mamoot and walked along to the stairs, going down one flight.

"I'll leave you here, Ursula," Senia said. "No sense in you coming down to the ground and then climbing back up again."

"A sensible idea. See you tomorrow?"

"Aye, as usual." Senia added, "Unless there is an emergency, of course."

"Of course."

Senia waved and carried on down the stairs while Ursula walked over the carriageway arch into the domestic part of the Mansion. She didn't know the name of the armsman who stood at the top of the main stairs so merely nodded to him. He saluted and said, "Mistress."

Ursula's first thought once inside her suite was the toilet. Having attended to that she wandered into her dressing room, looking for something to occupy her mind until lunch was called. She caught sight of herself in the mirror and frowned.

How did I get that mark on this dress? Why did I not notice it before? Now I will have to change!

She quickly pulled off the 'ship dress' and inspected it in the strong sunlight coming in the dressing room window. A diagonal brown stain went from right hip to center. It did not look like blood.

I wonder if it was when we were in the turner's workshop? Suppose he had varnished something earlier? He could probably have managed that one-handed. I must have brushed against something.

No matter. I know I have a spare somewhere...

But she could not find it.

That means that I will have to wear one of those light dresses that were bought along the river. Not really up to Mansion standards but good enough given the weather.

...but I will need some help getting it on...

...and I need to ask somebody about this stain, see if it will be easy to remove.

It had better be! The massed seamstresses of Joth will not be amused if I have stained a new dress!

Sighing, she pulled the dress back on and set it straight and tidy.

Outside in the corridor she dithered what to do, finally turning away from the stairs to wander along the other living accommodation. There would be nobody in Eriana's suite, that she knew, but there might be a servant or two about who would be able to help. As chance would have it, Heris appeared from the far end and noticed her.

"If I may help, Mistress?"

"Oh, yes. I have somehow gotten a stain on my dress while I was out -"

She pointed to her front, where the mark was just visible in the indirect light in the corridor.

"- so I have to change and I'll need a little help. I also want to see if this can be removed before it dries completely and ruins the dress."

"Surely, Mistress! Is it... blood?" Heris looked apprehensive.

Ursula shook her head. "I don't think so, we have been fairly careful when we were out and we try to keep anything like that away from our clothes." She had a thought. "It has never occurred to me, and I doubt that it has occurred to any of the other healers either, but perhaps we ought to be wearing aprons when we visit patients." She waved a hand. "That is not the immediate concern, I want to get this stain off if I can. It might be some kind of varnish, the last person we visited was a woodworker and he was in his workshop."

"Ah! Then perhaps Duban can help. I know that he has solvents which can clean such fluids from whatever he is working on - and from his own clothes and hands, perhaps." He considered. "It is nearly time for lunch, but, as you say, speed is important if the stain is to be removed. Shall I take you to Duban? Oh! You will need help taking your dress off and putting on another, of course. Now I noticed -"

With a hand signal to ask her to stay, Heris walked along and went into the Ducal suite, returning almost immediately with Tyra.

"Mistress Ursula!"

"Hello again. I have managed to get a stain on my dress so will have to change before lunch. I also need to see Duban to find out if he has something with which to remove the stain."

"If I may see... Oh! Yes, you must needs change, Mistress! Quickly, I will help you."

Heris said to Tyra, "You will see to this?"

"Yes, Heris," she said, bobbing.

"I will tell them you will be late for lunch, then."

As the footman walked off Tyra said, "Mistress, we must be quick. Do you know which dress you will wear instead? Have you yet bathed?"

Ursula shook her head as they returned to her suite. "I have not bathed, Tyra, I have been upstairs visiting Mamoot. I can manage without today, I think. There are two light dresses I could wear, I know where they are."

"If you say so, Mistress."

Tyra opened the door to the suite and waited until Ursula had entered before following her in. The two made for the dressing room. Ursula promptly pulled the ship dress off over her head.

"Oh! Is that one of the new bras, Mistress?"

"It is." Ursula became aware that, perhaps, servants would not be high in the priority list for the new garments. "There is no time now to talk about such matters."

"As you say, Mistress," Tyra agreed, taking the ship dress from Ursula. Although she had cleaned in the dressing room, she was not familiar with the clothes on the rails. "Which dress will you choose?"

"This one will do," she said, pointing. "Again, I am not too concerned what I look like so long as it is clean and presentable."

"As you say, Mistress. An unfortunate occurrence, getting a mark like that."

"Well," Ursula said as Tyra helped her on with the dress, "it happened before we met you and you did not notice it either. It was only when I came in here to change that I saw it in the mirror and then I realized that my other ship dress must be in the laundry. I am capable of dressing and undressing myself, it is these laces that I have trouble with."

Tyra stopped tugging on the laces. "How so, Mistress? Unless the dress is as your... ship dress, did you name it? ...then it must needs have laces, surely?"

Ursula waved an irritable hand. "I can explain later. I need to see Duban before lunch, because Heris said that he might have solvents that could remove this stain if it hasn't dried out too much. Do you know where he can be found?"

Tyra tied a bow. "There, Mistress. You are ready to go. Aye, I can take you to Master Duban, if you would follow me."

Tyra led the way out of the suite and left across the connecting bridge to the military part of the complex, turning left, a direction Ursula had never been before. Their way led through two store-rooms which had materials piled on the floor, while the walls looked as if there had once been shelving which had been roughly removed.

Beyond the store-rooms was a wide and well-lit workshop, where Duban and two juniors worked on saddles and tack. He looked up as they entered and wiped his hands on a cloth.

"Mistress Ursula, what brings you here? Surely it can wait until after lunch? It must be about due by now."

She held out the ship dress. "Master Duban, today Senia and I visited Putto Turner in his workshop," the saddler nodded recognition of the name, "and it appears that I have gotten something on my dress while there. Heris says that you might have fluids that will remove it before it sets in the fabric."

"Aye, Mistress, that may be true. If I may see the stain?"

He took the dress and held the affected part up to the light.

"I judge this to be wood stain, Mistress, and you were right to bring it to me straight away. If you will leave it here, I will do what I can and then return it to you. Will that suffice?"

"Of course, Master Duban. The dress is relatively new, it would be a shame if it were damaged so early."

"As you say, Mistress." He frowned. "I thought that Putto had some kind of injury? Oh, of course, that was why you visited him, naturally. But he was in his workshop, you tell me?"

"He was, he had found things to do which involved only one hand. That apparently included staining wood, though he wasn't doing that when we were there."

Duban grunted. "I can understand that, Mistress, all must needs work or go hungry. Oh! There is the dinner bell. Tyra, if you would take Mistress Ursula to the dining room."

"Of course, Master Duban."

She bobbed and led the way out of the workshop. Ursula took note of the damage as they passed through the store-room.

"What happened here, Tyra?"

"I do not know exactly, Mistress," the servant said as she led the way back into the domestic part of the mansion, "because it happened during the time of Yod. It is thought that the invaders needed wood for their cooking and to keep themselves warm, so broke up anything in the city they did not need. Much furniture and items of worth were lost this way."

"Oh. I'm sorry, I did not realize that there had been so much destruction."

"Too much, Mistress, too much."

At the bottom of the stairs Tyra led the way to the door of the dining room and opened it. Heris was waiting inside and beckoned them both in before closing it behind them. It appeared that lunch had already started, so Ursula led the way across to the table and curtseyed.

"My apologies, Your Grace," she said to Fanis, "during our rounds this morning I managed to get something on my dress and I was forced to change."

Fanis put down her knife and smiled. "No need to apologize, dear, when something like that happens. I know your business and the hazards healers may face attending their patients. Come, sit at the end there and join us." A flick of the eyes at Tyra. "Ah. You required some assistance to change, I deem? Tyra was there to help, I see. Tyra, if you would attend your mistress, please. I do not know if you have served at table before, the others will guide you for now."

A surprised Tyra pushed in the chair as Ursula sat and then walked around to join the other servants at the serving bar. There was a low conversation before Tyra took a deep plate, ladled soup into it and served Ursula.

The meal continued with Tyra getting instructions from the other servers as it progressed. It was also clear that Fanis wanted to have a word with Ursula but could not because they were too far apart to speak comfortably. At the end, Fanis had a long, quiet conversation with Wallesan and then beckoned to Ursula when everyone rose.

"Ursula, if I may detain you for a moment before you go to nap. Tyra, if you would attend us as well."

In the small meeting room, Fanis said, "Ursula, dear, it has become apparent to me that your present arrangement with Bennet is no longer satisfactory. As we have discovered, when Eriana goes out on one of her longer trips into the countryside with her girls, it leaves you with no help to change or do those other things for which a woman needs a companion."

Ursula nodded. "I am forced to agree, Your Grace. I thought that I could manage but you are right, there are things which a woman on her own will find difficult to do."

"I know that you and Senia manage together when you are out, but you are not out all the time. And we cannot ask Senia to move into the Mansion to attend you here! You need a companion, certainly, but whether it is to be a maid or a woman companion with other abilities is another question." She added, "I also have to bear in mind that in three or four weeks time Eriana and her crew will sail away from here and that you will likely remain. I can supply someone to help you immediately but of course anything I do will have to be put before Eriana when she returns, do you understand?"

Ursula looked at Tyra before asking the Duchess, "Is it Your Grace's thought to assign me a maid? I have little idea how things work here, as you know, and we did not have personal assistants on... um, in Alberta. Tyra has helped me today but I do not know any of her abilities."

Fanis smiled. "Then let us find out." She turned to Tyra. "Dear, I have no complaint at all with your service to the Mansion, but an unexpected opportunity has occurred that you might better yourself. If you think that you would prefer to continue as you are, that being a lady's maid would be too difficult, then I would not complain at your choice. You may return to your duties with our thanks for today's assistance.

"If you choose to attend Mistress Ursula, though, you must needs learn to do those things that any lady's maid must know. You will have to be with her when she needs your service and in time you will learn to anticipate her wants. Since Ursula has an unusual occupation I do not think that it would be necessary for you to follow her about the streets of the city when she is with Senia, unless she so desires your company. At such times you can do other work about the Mansion. What say you?"

"Your Grace," Tyra curtseyed, "It would be an honor to attend Mistress Ursula, should she approve. While I have enjoyed the work that I presently do I have often wondered if I could do more. Mistress Ursula is not as the other ladies of your court and we would both learn together what it is I need to do to serve her in the proper manner."

"Well said, Tyra. I will ask Bellot to make the change as soon as he can. For now, since Bennet still resides with Ursula, I suggest that you remain in your dormitory. As I mentioned, I must speak to Eriana before we go much further."

Ursula said slowly, "There might be some matters that Your Grace should consider."

"Ah?"

"There is the matter of... my home country. If Tyra is going to be my maid, then she ought to know... certain things about my past."

"Ah! As you say. Tyra, as a lady's maid you will inevitably learn secrets from your mistress and they must remain secrets. Am I clear?"

Tyra looked indignant. "Your Grace, of course! I am no spreader of tales."

"Well, then. You must needs give oath to Ursula and you know what will happen should you break that oath."

"Of course, Your Grace."

"Ursula? There was something else?"

"Your Grace, Senia and I met Tyra today by chance in the street."

"Oh?" Fanis turned to Tyra. "Explain."

"Your Grace, I had a morning at ease and went to visit my family. I was on my way back here when Mistress Ursula and Mistress Senia turned out of a side lane."

"Ah, I see. So what happened?"

Tyra blushed and would not speak, so Ursula explained, "She asked about Bennet and Semma because they carried swords and knew how to use them. I asked her if she wanted to become a woman warrior."

"Well! It is an unusual occupation for a woman but, as we have learned, not an impossible one. Tyra, is that what you wanted to do?"

"I do not know, Your Grace. I merely sought to find out more about those who already were armswomen. I wondered what a woman would need to become the same as they."

"And if you could do that job? Mayhap you would have to become much fitter, I deem. Very well, that is something to think about for the future. Should you become Ursula's permanent maid then it might be a useful thing for you to learn." She turned to Ursula. "Is that all, dear?"

Ursula's smile began to turn into a grin. "Your Grace, if Tyra becomes my maid, then logically she needs to go with me wherever I go, is that the way it works?"

"But of course!" Fanis's expression changed. "Why? What have you in mind?"

"Only that I am learning to ride..."

The shock on both women's faces was complete. Fanis recovered first.

"Maker! I had forgotten that! Aye, logically, if you are learning to ride then Tyra must needs ride as well." Her expression changed again. "Which means a frayen, which should be easy enough to provide, of course... And a saddle! Duban will not be pleased to make another one for a woman... And, of course, she must needs be fitted out with all the attire that a riding companion should have."

"Your Grace?" Tyra gasped, her eyes wide. "You would permit me to ride a frayen?"

Fanis now had a smile as well. "Do you change your mind, Tyra? I would not blame you if you did."

"I do not know what to say, Your Grace. To ride a frayen, well, only four women in Joth may do so presently."

"And one of them is only just learning," Ursula added.

Tyra suddenly dropped to one knee, bowing her head. "Your Grace, you do me a great honor. If it is possible for me to be of service to Mistress Ursula, then I am willing to try. I do not know if I can ride a frayen, but there is only one way to find out, is there not?"

"Rise, please, Tyra." When the young woman had regained her feet, Fanis, said, "Then it is settled... until Eriana returns, at least. Tyra, attend your mistress, please. She goes to nap, and then you must both make yourself ready for Lord Kalmenar's instruction."

They both looked at Fanis, puzzled.

"Ah, he has told me that Tyra does more than stand ready behind Ursula as she learns to read but seems to understand much of the work herself. Is that not so, Tyra?"

Tyra hesitantly replied, "Your Grace, it is so. I saw the letter shapes when that man first brought them and, though I was not so quick to know all the names, I have been able to follow what Lord Kalmenar has taught the mistress since. Was it wrong for me to do so, Your Grace? Mayhap I should have stood further away."

"No, indeed it was not wrong! Kalmenar mentioned your interest to me when he first noticed it and that was one of the reasons I thought to speak with you today. You obviously have abilities which are wasted on an upstairs maid. If you desire to read, and Lord Kalmenar consents, then you may have my approval to continue. Ursula, shall you agree this with Kalmenar when next you meet?"

Ursula nodded. "I will do so, Your Grace. Everybody should learn to read. If Tyra can do so just by looking over somebody's shoulder then she obviously has the ability. Two learning together can probably improve quicker than one alone could."

"As you say. Then it is settled. Tyra, you are today promoted to lady's maid. If you would take her upstairs for her nap."

Tyra curtseyed. "As you command, Your Grace."

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wasted skills

"You obviously have abilities which are wasted on an upstairs maid. " I imagine she's not the only one.

DogSig.png

Tyra

Tyra is one of those tiresome characters who just wrote herself into the story.

I'm not sure what part she's going to play in the future but I suspect it could be significant.

She isn't going to be another Milsy, those will be few and far between. I doubt that she is interested in machinery either, like Senidet, but it is apparent that she has at least some brains and an idea of what she would like to do, given half a chance.

An interesting pinch of spice to add to the plot, I deem.

Penny

Hooray!

Speaker's picture

Another chapter in the unfolding Saga of Anmar. Thank you.

Speaker

Mamoot

Well, at least he survived despite his appendix problem due to some impossibly good fortune to be the recipient of some cutting edge (heh) surgery.

Consequently he may have more details added in future to the appendix despite his appendix.

Change...

Is overtaking the Valley States, will they or nil they!

Tool rests

Well yes, of course they do, but when some fat, hairy six-legged rodent runs across your legs and makes you jump, the tool isn't going to stay on the rest, is it? Particularly when your legs are out of your sight on the treadle and you don't know exactly what just happened.

It doesn't take much for the piece to snatch the tool out of your grasp and send it flying.

Penny

It will be a while...

before they have what amounts to tool mounts that would prevent such an injury...

And school has begun

Jamie Lee's picture

Finding the right person to make the instruments she needs for surgery, finding a man who makes musical instruments and shocking him and Senia by playing two of the instruments, and starting to learn to read and write the local language, are the beginning of changes in Joth.

No one sees it yet, but in having those in the know help teach Ursula to read and write, and indirectly at first, Tyra, school has begun. It started with just two pupils but it has started.

Others have feelings too.