The Voyage of the Visund -31-

Printer-friendly version

Everyone goes riding - which includes Mathenar and Luthan, much to Ursula's disgust. Friction turns into arguments before an unexpected interruption changes everything.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

31 - Confrontation


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Mathenar put his foot into the stirrup and then, grasping the saddle handles, smoothly pulled himself onto his mount. He bent to the right to discover the other stirrup before looking up with satisfaction.

"It is an interesting position, I deem. Positioned thus, my legs feel in a strange place."

"But now you may rise, to strike your opponent," Eriana responded. "You would not have been able to do so before."

Mathenar nodded. "As you say, Highness. But previously I did not feel the need to rise and strike an opponent."

Ursula looked on but was more intent on Tyra than the byplay in front of her. Since their visit to the Visund the Duke's elder son had been relatively quiet, but still managed to be maddening at the same time. This morning's episode had only worsened her impression of being stalked. She still wasn't entirely sure how he and Luthan had managed to invite themselves onto what was supposed to be a quiet ladies' ride out.

Eriana glanced around. "Is everyone ready?"

Ursula, Tyra, Bennet and Semma each raised a hand. Luthan looked uncomfortable but nodded. Hambran and Dirgan also raised hands.

"Then let us begin. The city is beginning to heat up and it will be better for beasts and riders once we are out in the country lanes. Captain, are you content with the route I described?"

"Aye, Highness, you show impressive knowledge of the area considering how short your time in Joth has been. It will do us all some good to have some green around us, I deem. If you would lead the way."

Eriana led off with Bennet by her side and Semma behind. The Duke's sons came next followed by Ursula and Tyra, with Hambran and Dirgan bringing up the rear. For this ride, all frayen wore panniers, most containing snacks or drink, though one of Ursula's and one of Tyra's had a hastily repacked selection of medical equipment and supplies. It was unlikely that any of the riders would suffer much more than sunburn today but there was always the possibility of finding a peasant with some kind of problem.

The group passed along the streets between the now regular clusters of onlookers. Women on frayen back were no longer such a novelty but some Jothans still gathered to see if any would pass, thinking perhaps about attire for their own future rides. There was scattered applause when the two sons were noticed, but perhaps not as much as either would have wished for.

Soon they were through the West Gate and on the verge beside the busy highway. Eriana led them perhaps a mark from the walls before turning off along a minor road to the south-west. They continued along this for another mark to a small junction where she called a halt.

"Is everyone comfortable? I know some of you have not ridden these saddles for very long, you must needs tell me if you consider that something is amiss. Should that be so you should return that Duban may be told of the problem, else you continue and spend the rest of the afternoon in pain."

Luthan spoke up. "Highness, these new saddles seem more comfortable than those I have used before. I find the leg position strange, but it seems to help me hold my balance. These new metal foot holders are more comfortable to my boots, too. Aye, I know what Hambran and Duban have told me but sometimes one must needs do something before it is possible to understand it."

"The foot holders are named stirrups, My Lord." She regarded him closely. "You have no aches? Pains? Your position is different, you are using different muscles and it may become tiring to you after a while."

"I am comfortable presently, Highness. If there is any problem then doubtless I will let you know."

"As you say. Tyra? How about you?"

"Highness, as My Lord says, it is different but I am comfortable now." The maid grimaced. "Whether I shall still be comfortable after riding in the afternoon heat I could not say."

"I do not intend an endurance trial today, merely a slow ride out somewhere quiet so that we may relax our minds and enjoy the countryside. If any of you desire to pause a moment or two along the way then I would have no objection."

There were no more comments so she turned down a narrow lane leading roughly south. This was little better than a farm track, twin ruts showing bare earth where carts had used it but otherwise beginning to be overgrown with new grass.

She pointed. "Yonder, in that clump of trees ahead, is a shelter where we may stop and take a drink." She smiled at the others. "I regret there is no pel today. I am sure we will all survive the lack until we return to the Mansion."

The clump of trees was a half mark further on and they pulled off the lane into the welcome shade of the spreading foliage. The shelter was a surprisingly well-built structure which consisted mainly of a roof to keep off sun and rain but there were some stalls or booths to one side.

"Ah," Hambran said, "I remember this place. Eriana, this is one of the structures we put up when we were investing the city. I have spent several nights here, learning what I could of the invaders' strength and movements."

"Do you tell me? I thought it was a little large and well-built for a farmer's use."

He spread his hands. "There seemed little point taking it down so it has been left for the nearby farms to use. I understand that all may use it on occasion. For now, it seems empty. If we may dismount?"

"Surely."

Water bottles of leather were unloaded and drinks taken in the customary pewter traveler's beakers. Ursula found Mathenar staring at her and decided to confront him directly.

"Why are you following me around, My Lord?"

There was a brief moment of what might have been guilt which was swiftly wiped from his face. "Mistress, I assure you that it is but chance that our paths have crossed so often." He shrugged. "There is much that is new in the city since our return and I have desired to investigate what I may. It was chance that we met at the docks yesterday."

"It was not!" Ursula retorted. "Everyone saw you stand up in the carriage and look around the dock area for something or someone. When I showed myself you headed straight for me with some story about the docks being dangerous and you wanting to protect me."

"Mistress, it is true that I heard that you were to be at the docks and it seemed to me that, as I had already planned to go there, I could offer assistance."

Luthan spoke up. "Give it up, Math. Everybody knows you chase every woman you see! That is why you were asked to leave Yod, was it not?"

Mathenar rounded on his brother. "I do not desire advice from you, of all people! You can find fault with every brick in a wall if you care to."

He turned back to Ursula. "Mistress, you are a lone woman, new to our lands and our customs, so I have been told. It is not safe for you to go around the city by yourself. I merely sought to provide some advice and assistance until you have become familiar with our ways."

"I am not in any danger, My Lord," she replied. "I am always accompanied by Healer Senia or by my maid. Everyone now knows that I am a healer and no-one would think of causing me trouble."

Mathenar persisted. "Mistress, you have been here but four weeks, so I was told. You know not the ways of Joth. There is good reason why every man of Joth customarily carries a weapon at hand whenever he sets foot beyond his doorstep. Why, even Her Highness and her... companions carry swords! I do not know if they would use them in battle, though, being women."

Eriana had become annoyed by the argument. "My Lord, you are on dangerous ground. Bennet and Semma have not tasted battle, it is true, but they are fully trained members of His Majesty's Palace Guard and will not bear such an insult lightly. I have tasted battle, as you know, as have two other women of His Majesty's Guard, in the taking of Boldan's Rock." She glared at him. "Shall you apologize?"

Mathenar noticed the hilt of Eriana's broadsword looming over her right shoulder and gulped. He had been made well aware of her own battle honors.

He bowed. "Your Highness, I spoke in haste. I am unused, as all in Joth must be, to seeing women under arms. Until recently, it has not been the custom for any woman to carry a sword and I find it difficult to adjust my thinking, as I must also do when considering the riding of frayen by women. If you would accept my apology."

The response was grudging. "If I must. My Lord, you must take care before you open your mouth again."

"Highness, your words are wise. I merely attempted to point out that Mistress Ursula is the only one here who has no means of defending themself."

"There are eight here with swords who will attend Ursula should there be need, though I will grant that Tyra is but an apprentice in the arts of war." Eriana gestured at the city walls, barely three marks to the north. "We are only just outside the city! Yod is vanquished, we ride through fields. She is safe enough here with us."

With the atmosphere sour they repacked their packs and remounted. Eriana again led them out along the track but it was Luthan who came up beside Ursula.

"Mistress, I know that I am known for disagreeing with all but this time I think that it is Mathenar who has the problem." He shook his head. "Something drives my brother, I know not what."

The gap between the riders was wide enough that Ursula thought that she could have a sensible conversation with Luthan.

"My Lord, where I come from we would call it stalking. An obsessive following by one person of another, beyond all reason. Even when that person is caught and shown the truth, they usually deny it."

Luthan nodded thoughtfully. "Stalking. Now that you say the word, Mistress, that describes his actions well." He adjusted his position in the saddle. "He may have need of such obsession, to a point. He is of course my father's heir, he must needs find himself someone who will become Duchess in time. Normally such as ourselves are paired with daughters of like rank at a younger age but it has not yet happened to either of us." He gave Ursula a sad smile. "You might be able to guess why."

She smiled back. "My Lord, I will not argue with you."

He nodded at the jest, then continued, "Mistress, you and those women who came with Her Highness are all single and thus you will interest Mathenar. I doubt that he would interest himself too much in Her Highness, because of her nature. The two armswomen would not be of suitable rank, thus it is you he pursues."

Of course. If he's looking for a wife, there are four women guests at the Mansion for him to consider. Luthan is right, that is most likely why he is following me around.

Should I be looking for a husband? It is really too soon but I am a real, actual woman who has to find a home somewhere eventually. Is there a man out there who would do for me what they are supposed to do for their chosen women? I do not know. I have never before reached the point where I would need to consider such matters.

I do know that Mathenar will not be the one! Even if his character had been better, I am not sure that I could cope with being a Duchess. I have seen all the work that Fanis has to do.

What do I do? Do I have to stay here and put up with him until he latches on to the next unfortunate woman who passes this way?

"Mistress, your saddlebag is not secure." Tyra pulled up on the other side and pointed. "I have just noticed the flap has come loose."

Ursula twisted but could not turn round enough to see. "Can you fix it while we're going, or do we need to stop?"

"If I might assist, Mistress," Luthan said. He reined his frayen round behind Ursula and came up the other side, Tyra pulling ahead to make room. He leaned down and reached the strap but could not do it up with one hand, so he dropped the reins and leaned further over, letting the beast find its own way. He could just reach with both hands to redo the buckle.

"That was amazing," he said, sitting up with a smile. "I had no idea that it was possible to do anything like that while seated, and riding! I felt so secure leaning over and I knew that I would not fall off. Now I understand why we are changing to the new saddle design."

"Indeed, My Lord," came Hambran from behind. "An excellent display of ridership, if I may say so, and proof of His Grace's judgment in choosing this saddle design."

Ursula gave Luthan a smile. "Thank you, My Lord."

Other thoughts struck her then. Luthan? He was a pain when he first arrived but he has been fairly sensible since - whenever I have seen him. Would he be husband material?

I doubt it, but I know that stranger things have happened.

Not now! Ask me in a year!

At a junction they came across three peasants pulling a handcart piled high with what looked like animal feed. They were about to pull the cart off the track to make room but Eriana stopped them.

"It is we who are intruding, not you. Go about your business, we have no particular route in mind so we will go this way instead."

The three bowed as the group turned east along a narrow track between two fields, with a deep ditch on the left side. In the distance ahead was another small clump of about five or six trees in full leaf, their bases hidden by brush. The field across the ditch was full of ripening grain of some kind while that to their left held the green globes of some root vegetable. At this distance Ursula could not make out what either crop was, despite close encounters with many kinds in Farren's kitchen.

Hambran rode past Ursula to the front and joined Eriana.

"Highness, how much further do you desire to go?"

"I have not considered time or distance, Captain. Is there some problem?"

"I have heard distantly the eighth bell, Highness. You must consider that you will need to return, bathe and change in order to greet your countrymen from Palarand this evening."

Eriana thought and nodded. "I have not forgotten our newest visitors, captain, though I will tell you that there are likely none who are well known to me. Still, I am presently my country's representative in Joth so I agree that we should make our return at a suitable time. What say you that we stop by that clump of trees to eat our snacks, and then find our way around to the Galdarin gate?"

"That would be wise, Highness. There are two with us today who are new to these saddles and one who has only slightly greater experience. A stop there will be most welcome to them, I deem."

Although the air was fresher than it had been, and the rain had cleared the dust from it, it was still late afternoon and warm. Ursula looked around for Tyra and maneuvered her way beside her.

"How are you feeling? Any sore parts?"

"Mistress, this is the second time that I will have ridden so far and some parts are sore, it is true. Mostly, though, it is my back muscles, muscles that I never knew I had. I assume that all will fade with time and practice?"

"I am told that is how it works, Tyra." Ursula grimaced. "For myself, my own back is discovering the delights of riding and by the time we get back I suspect a hot bath will be welcome. Any other problems?"

"Indeed not, Mistress. I have to tell you that I think I enjoy riding thus, though I know that you are not so enthusiastic."

"Tyra, I am doing it because it will be one of the quicker ways to get around and do my job. I regret that I do not enjoy the experience as most riders seem to."

Ahead of them, the clump of trees suddenly broke apart. Ursula could not comprehend what she was seeing until her brain finally made sense of the scene.

Five dark shapes separated from the top of the trees. Two spread out to the left, spreading wide wings, while two went to the right. The last one headed directly for them, its bat-like wings spread wide to allow it to glide effortlessly in their direction.

The next thing that Ursula was aware of was her face smacking side-wise into the grass of the verge, followed by a murderous yank on her right leg as she was dragged along by her frayen. After the third bounce the stirrup released her boot and she was flung to the ground.

Stunned, she rolled over in time to see two riderless frayen collide in front of her, one breaking its neck with a sickening crack. The two tumbled in a heap of bodies and thrashing legs before one scrambled to its feet and headed straight for her. Desperately she covered her head with her arms but the beast jumped her and vanished from her sight.

She looked upward, to see the five flying creatures - monsters, really - begin to dive at the party from different directions. Everyone else had been dismounted the same way she had been, most were still picking themselves up from the ground - and most were drawing swords. Briefly, Mathenar's words came back to haunt her.

Boje! Those are monsters! She watched the action from her half-raised position, unable to think of any way she could help the others, or even protect herself. There was a certain intellectual detachment despite her mortal predicament. What are they? Those are not avians. Bats?

The first one dived low, its stride-long snout full of gleaming teeth ready to grip or rend. She was aware of others throwing themselves flat as it passed over them. Then, the other creatures followed in sequence, attempting to snap at the helpless humans lying on the ground.

"Behind you, Mistress!"

She threw herself flat just as a row of gleaming teeth passed a hands-breadth from her face. There was a smell, a powerful stench that reminded her of rotten fish. Raising herself slightly, she glanced around at the others. Hambran lay ahead of her, on his side, the lower hand clutching his right shoulder. Dirgan lay flat on his back a short distance further on, awkwardly attempting to draw his sword. The others must have been behind her.

Not bats. Not with those heads. Like something out of a... She had a shocked memory, then, of pictures seen in school. Dinosaurs? She was stunned. Is that possible? Can they be flying dinosaurs?

A hand touched her upper shoulder lightly. The voice was shaky and it belonged to Tyra.

"Stay down, Mistress. I am here."

Ursula twisted her head to see a white-faced Tyra gripping her sword so tightly that she could not have much control over what she did with it.

Someone came and knelt at her other side. "Mistress, I am here also. We will do whatever is possible."

Luthan!

"Down!" he hissed. The three lay flat as another flew over them from a different direction.

The detached part of her brain thought, with wonder, Are they intelligent? This attack is carefully organized, they are coming at us from five different directions but somehow timed so they don't collide.

...And different directions means that they have us corralled. No escape!

Another gasped instruction. "To your left, Mistress!"

Ursula turned and saw another of them swoop, lower than the previous attacks. This time she noticed red claws at the leading edge of the wings, claws on the rear limbs, thick, coarse hair... and it wasn't really black, more a very dark reddish purple. There was a longish neck and the rear of the head projected back to form a brightly colored vane which was apparently used to help control flight.

They are huge! The body of that thing must be about the size of a frayen! The wingspan must be at least five meters. No wonder they are willing to attack humans.

Her two protectors resolutely faced the incoming beast and it veered slightly, to aim at another victim, Eriana, who was even now bringing her huge sword into play. Suddenly, she stood up and swiped at the creature as it reached her. It twisted in mid-air to avoid the strike, which would probably have removed its head, but the broadsword caught it a glancing blow on one wing as it passed. It fell from the sky, tumbling in a heap nearby. The strength of the beating wing knocked the sword out of Eriana's grasp and it spun away into the grass.

"Get away!"

Eriana turned to see Bennet and Semma, back to back, suffer another attack. This time, Bennet stood her ground and twisted out of the way of the beak, bringing her sword up to slice at the neck of the creature. It plunged to the ground, knocking Bennet's sword from her grasp, but Semma immediately ran to it and began hacking at the neck before it could recover. Blood squirted out everywhere from the part-severed neck as it thrashed about in its death throes.

"Graaakh!"

Ursula, Tyra and Luthan spun about to see the beast that Eriana had downed struggle to its feet, or more accurately its limbs. It limped towards them on rear feet and one folded wing, resting the front of its body on the knuckles formed by the wing claws. The other wing hung awkwardly, seemingly damaged either by Eriana's sword or by its tumble to the ground.

"Graaakh!"

It shambled directly towards them, a red glint in its eyes and with obvious murderous intent. Even with one injured wing, it would be a formidable opponent, but it would be like facing an injured tiger: too big, too powerful, too angry to care about its injury. The two with her were silent, frozen by its stare as the beast approached.

Bang!

A cloud of acrid smoke briefly enveloped everyone and everything before it cleared. The creature lay tumbled again, obviously dead with a huge hole through its body. A slight noise made Ursula turn her head to find Eriana standing there with a smoking metal object in her hand.

"They rise," Luthan said, staring around. "The odds are against them now, I deem."

"Aye," Eriana agreed, "and they are doubtless alarmed by the sound and smoke of my Personal Pistol."

They watched the remaining three circle for a time before the creatures came together in a group and begin to gain height. Finally they turned and headed north-east, their shapes clearly visible for a while against the spring cloud cover.

Dirgan appeared, breathing hard. "Mistress, if you would come. The Captain has been injured, likely when he was thrown from his beast."

They looked over to where Hambran sat on the ground, his left hand clutching his right shoulder. Ursula scrambled unsteadily to her feet, the adrenaline still hammering through her veins.

"Will they come back?" she asked the group. Her mouth was dry.

Dirgan shook his head. Knowing that Ursula had no knowledge at all about the beasts, Bennet explained, "Mistress, grakh often travel in small groups just like this. It seems they migrate towards the ocean, to our north-east, early every spring, and return again either just before the rains or much later in the fall. It is late for them to be around the Great Valley now. I do not think we will see them again."

"Do you tell me?" Eriana said. "Grakh are known to us, of course, but they do not often come to the waters so far south as Einnland." She stared at the carcass. "Nor are they such large beasts as this. I wonder if -" She broke off. "But I forget myself. Ursula, if you would attend Captain Hambran."

"Of course, Highness."

Ursula walked over towards Hambran, Tyra following with her sword still drawn. "Mistress, what if you should need your bandages and ointments? I do not know where our frayen might be."

Ursula quickly looked around but none were obviously visible. Bennet was with them and she explained, "Mistress, when grakh attack frayen they will scatter in all directions, hoping the grakh choose a frayen in another direction. With the old saddles all their riders would be thrown immediately, as we were today by surprise. Our beasts will likely be in nearby fields, no doubt happily devouring the farmer's crops."

"I see. From the way the Captain is sitting, I might not need any bandages this time."

They reached Hambran, who was obviously in great pain.

"I need to examine you, Captain."

"I think it is dislocated, Mistress. Do you know how to set it right?"

"Of course, Captain. Let me see if there is any other damage first. I regret this might hurt, my healing kit is eating crops somewhere in these fields."

That brought a wan smile to Hambran's strained face. "As mine will be, Mistress. Do what you must."

She made a brief exploration, without removing any clothing, and concluded that it was a straightforward dislocation, probably when he fell off.

"Bennet, I want you to hold the Captain's other arm, to brace him, when I reset his shoulder."

With Bennet steadying Hambran, she wrapped her right arm around his and then pulled and twisted. Hambran gave a shout of pain as the joint went back in the socket but the cry broke off and he nodded to her.

"That feels right, Mistress. Tsss! It is still sore, though nothing like it was before." He looked up. "Guardswoman Bennet, I was impressed by the way you tackled that beast. There are few of His Grace's men who would have dared do that."

Bennet straightened with the praise. "Thank you, Sir."

The others had joined them by then and so Ursula asked, "Are there any other injuries?"

It seemed that many would be bruised by nightfall but no-one had anything more obviously serious.

She told them, "I would caution you all that there may be sprained wrists, ankles or other joints from when you were thrown. If you do notice anything during the rest of today, come and tell me at once."

Hambran, still holding his right arm, looked up at them. "We'll need our mounts to be able to get back to the Mansion. If I may ask Dirgan, Bennet and Semma to start looking for them. I know the ladies have a better touch, they may be able to retrieve spooked beasts easier than..." He trailed off looking at the group. "Where is Lord Mathenar? Does anyone remember seeing him?"

Along the field verge, in the direction from which the group had ridden, came two of the farmers. They were towing a frayen.

"We saw the attack from a distance," one explained when they arrived. "We had seen the beasts earlier, flying over, but we did not know that they had roosted nearby. We thought they had flown on. Is any hurt? Should we call for help?"

Hambran, still sitting on the ground, answered. "A dislocated shoulder, Goodman, some cuts and bruises, nothing more. But our frayen and one of our party is missing." He looked up at Eriana. "Highness, think you that we need help? Apart from myself there are no serious injuries."

Eriana looked around and then spoke to the man. "Goodman, we thank you, we are fortunate to have a healer among our number this day. If I may check whose beast you have there."

She strode over and reached up to peer at the nameplate on the saddle. "Tis Semma's beast, which is well. Semma, if you would mount and begin the search. While we know what injuries we have, we do not know how our beasts have fared and we have a man missing. He may be in worse plight than any of us."

Semma replied, "Aye, Highness."

"Highness?" The men were surprised and began to lower themselves to one knee.

"Rise, please. I am not your liege nor anything like, merely a guest of His Grace. It was I who provided the ship which brought him back from Palarand. Captain Hambran leads our party this day."

Since Eriana had already been giving instructions, Hambran raised a whimsical smile. "Semma, yes, check your beast and then mount if you would. Bring back each beast you may find, that another may aid you in the search and so on."

"As you command, Captain."

The surprised farmers watched as Semma walked around her mount with a knowledgeable eye and then mounted. From her greater height she surveyed their immediate surroundings before setting off across the root crop field.

"I did not know," one said. "Is it now the custom that women ride, and may carry arms?"

Hambran gave a snort, followed by a wince. "Aye, good fellows, we have learned that a woman may be as good as a man in many respects. Indeed, it was two of our women who downed the two grakh you see before you."

"Do you tell me?" They eyed the two carcasses with amazement - and calculation. "I wonder, if it would be possible, there is much meat to be had."

They would eat the monsters? Of course they would. It means that they do not have to butcher one of their livestock for a week or two longer.

I should remember that life can be rougher out here, away from the city.

Hambran nodded. "I do not see why not." He twisted around. "There are two grakh and a frayen here dead. Do you eat frayen?"

The two looked at one another. "Sir, it has been known. It would be better than leaving it to rot in the fields or be eaten by scavengers."

"Then you may have the frayen and that grakh there, the one with the hole in it. In this weather they probably will not last long, so I would ask you to share with your neighbors. The other, I deem, we will take back to the Mansion to show the Duke and mayhap see what Farren can make of it."

One walked over and looked at the grakh carcass. "If it please you, Sir, what manner of weapon made this hole?"

"Have you heard of guns?"

He nodded. "We have heard the word but know nothing more except the invaders used them, Sir."

"I will not describe them now but to say they are noisy, smelly and very deadly. If you are lucky you may never see them as long as you live - but much may change in the future, of course. A small gun carried by Her Highness made that hole. Think what it would do to a man."

They looked nervously at Eriana but she gave a dismissive wave. "You have approached along the path, have you seen our missing man?"

"No, uh, Highness. There may be other frayen that way but no man."

"Then we must all look around carefully. He may have been knocked unconscious and be lying in the crops."

"Or the ditch," Hambran added.

That was where they found Count Mathenar, heir to the Duchy of Joth. He was hiding in a clump of reeds at the bottom of the ditch. He rose to his feet when he heard their voices above.

"You have survived, then? I was not sure."

"My Lord," Hambran replied, "I could say the same of you. What happened?"

"I was thrown, I knew not at first by what," Mathenar explained. "I tumbled into this ditch, almost to the bottom. Then I saw the monsters swoop across and realized what was happening. I thought to conceal myself in these reeds, that someone might survive to summon help, and to bear witness."

He began to climb the slope, not noticing the incredulous stares those above gave him.

"We could have done with your help, Math," Luthan told him, "especially after all that talk earlier about protecting the women."

"The grakh were too strong," Mathenar said lamely, "I did not think any of you would survive."

Eriana sniffed. "We were seven with swords against five with teeth and claws, good enough odds to me. Besides," she added, "you may have concealed yourself, as you thought, from those on foot, but I deem that anything that flew above you would see you plainly."

Mathenar reached the top and stared at the three large carcasses nearby. "Two dead? You killed two of them? How is this possible?"

Hambran replied, "My Lord, for all your talk earlier of women and battle, it was our women who downed the beasts. Bennet felled one which Semma finished off, then Her Highness smote another from the air and killed it with her pistol when it menaced Mistress Ursula and Lord Luthan."

"I... see." He turned away so that they could not see the shame on his face, but it was far too late for that. He changed tack. "Has any gone for help? What about our frayen? You!" He pointed to one of the farmers.

"Enough, My Lord," Eriana said in a voice which would take no nonsense, "Semma is rounding up our frayen and these farmers have already offered assistance. Your advice and instruction is not required."

Mathenar bristled. "But I am the heir of Joth! You are but a guest of my father, you should not be giving orders."

Hambran said, "My Lord, it is I who am in charge of this party. We did not ask for your advice, we did not notice your help in the battle, we did not even ask you to join us this afternoon."

"I shall have words with Father about your conduct, Captain!"

Eriana said, "There are eight witnesses here to your conduct, My Lord. You were advised earlier to think before opening your mouth and you have failed to do so. Captain Hambran commands this party, not you nor I." She turned. "Captain, we have a dead frayen to consider. We must needs find out who it belonged to and then strip it of saddle and harness before these fine folk of the soil may take it away. Can you ride, do you think?"

Hambran grimaced. "If this had been a battle against those of Yod, then of course I would ride. Today... I would prefer not to. What is it you suggest, Highness?"

Instead of answering directly she turned to the farmers. "I recall there were three of you."

"Aye... Highness. Kelf has gone for help, seeing the grakh swoop in the distance. We knew that we might not be soon enough to assist you, but we could provide aid afterwards, if any should be needed." He wrung his hands nervously. "Did we do right, Highness? We have no weapons as you do, only hay forks for the fodder."

"Goodman, I would not think to let one such as yourself face such peril, should there be any choice. If I may ask, where has this Kelf gone? Is it to some village nearby? What I mean is, how long do you think it will take him to return, or shall I send someone else once we have a mount or two back?"

The farmer pointed. "Yonder is a farm which used to run gavakhan but now teaches those of the city to ride, or so we were told. We know that city folk go there and that there may be spare frayen. It is about a mark and a half away. Someone there should -"

"The riding school?" Eriana broke in. "We know it well. We women have all used it in recent days. As I recall, there are wagons there and maybe even a carriage. Captain, does that answer you?"

Hambran nodded. "Aye, Highness, it does. Once Semma returns with a beast someone can ride over there to ask for a wagon. The wagon can bring Kelf back when it comes."

Dirgan came back into the group. "Captain, from the contents of the saddlebags, the dead frayen is one that I think Lord Mathenar was riding. It only has a numbered ring instead of a name plate, so it was a pool beast."

Eriana turned to Mathenar with a wicked grin. "My Lord, it seems that you may be riding the wagon as well this evening. I would not think of forcing you onto an uncomfortable saddle for the journey home."

This time, Mathenar kept his mouth shut.

* * *

Since the grakh carcass filled the entire bed of the wagon, Mathenar and Hambran were forced to sit either side of the wagoneer for the ride back to the Mansion. Behind the wagon rode the rest in single file. One frayen could not be found but the farmers promised that they would send word when it was. No-one thought that it would be stolen; to steal such a beast so close to the city, with a new saddle and military trappings, would be suicidal.

Of course, word of their adventure arrived at the city long before the party did. There were plenty of onlookers as they rode through the Galdarin Gate and turned towards the Mansion. There were gasps of astonishment at the cargo in the farm wagon and many gasped at Mathenar being seated on it, wondering if he had been injured.

When the wagon turned into the courtyard it was forced to stop almost immediately, since the yard was still full of wagons recently arrived from Palarand. Most of the bustle and confusion had gone, though, so those riding were able to make their way around the obstruction and into the rear courtyard. Willing hands helped them down and took their mounts away for a well-earned rub-down and rest.

Wallesan and Fanis were waiting for them at the porch.

The Duke greeted them with a smile. "If this is what happens when you go out on a quiet ride, Eriana, then I hope that I shall never join you on an exciting one!" His expression changed when he saw theirs. "Why, what has happened? Nine was the number that went out, was it not? Nine have returned, though I see Hambran has his arm in a sling."

"We were ambushed by five grakh, Wallesan, of a size I am told is considered large. By accident, luck and sheer brazen stupidity in the face of such a foe we contrived to bring down two. One we have brought back, for you to inspect, and possibly to see if Farren can make anything of it."

"A grakh! This I must see. Fanis, shall you come?"

Fanis asked, "Is it dead, Eriana?"

"Oh, yes, Fanis, very dead. Bennet felled it and Semma finished it off."

"Then I will come, but you will forgive me if I become upset by the sight of it. You know how much we Valley folk fear such monsters."

"I do. Come, then."

Ursula asked, "Highness, is it all right if I go upstairs? It has been a long day - and I have already seen the grakh, in far too much detail."

"Of course. Fanis, what of the evening meal? Have you yet eaten?"

Wallesan answered, "Since we received the news I decided to delay the meal until you return. There will be time for you all to bathe and refresh yourselves before we eat."

"Father," Mathenar asked then, "if I may go to my chambers as well. I am tired after the day's outing."

"Of course, son."

Mathenar walked into the Mansion but the look the others gave him was noticed by Wallesan.

"What?"

"Not now, Wallesan," Eriana said tiredly. "Not now, but later this evening there are matters you must needs consider."

* * *

"Good night, Father, Mother. Good night, Highness."

The door to the living room closed and an uncomfortable silence descended on the three who remained. It was broken by Wallesan.

"His explanation sounded reasonable to me."

Fanis said, "So did that of Luthan." She sighed. "What are we to make of our boys, Wal?"

"They are not what I thought either to be when they were younger, my dear. Eriana, I hesitate to ask your opinion, but you could be called a disinterested observer in this matter."

"Me? Possibly, Wallesan, but I hesitate to give an opinion to you, as this is purely a family matter."

"But whose story must I believe? The future of Joth is at stake, as well you know."

Eriana's face twisted in frustration. "I am no diplomat, Wallesan! You know that well, I am a woman of blunt speaking and direct action. Shall you then hear my words? I will tell you plainly what I think and then I will say no more on the subject."

The Duke gave a faint smile. "I know what you are, Eriana, and I wish that more of my people were like you. All I usually hear are half-truths, omissions, evasions and outright lies. Say your words, I will hear them."

"Very well. It is true that Mathenar was tossed in the ditch and had no idea, at first, what was happening. However, he must needs have heard the shouts and sounds of battle from above, and would have known that his companions - his brother, even! - had need of his blade in defense. Yet he did nothing, hiding himself from any who peered into the ditch, but not, I deem, from anything that flew above."

"He would not have thought of that. Aye, he should have responded when he heard shouts of need, but to crawl from the ditch would have exposed him as he said."

Eriana snorted. "The rest of us were already exposed, and we were fighting for our lives! One more, appearing from the ditch, may have caused the monsters to reconsider the odds and break off. No, Wallesan, I do not know how you judge such matters here but where I come from Mathenar would be deemed a coward. He should at least have tried."

The uncomfortable silence returned. Eriana's charge was a grave one.

Eventually Wallesan spoke. "Mayhap he has no experience of battle, Eriana. I know that Luthan has faced those of Yod in at least two battles and, by all accounts I have received, done no worse than any man of Joth might." He shook his head. "Word of Mathenar's deeds in Ferenis and Yod are harder to come by. He may not have faced battle at all. You know well that the first taste of battle is crucial for the tempering of a soldier, perhaps he has not yet faced that trial."

"Wallesan, I can not disagree." Eriana hesitated before going on, "You must also know that, since he has returned to the Mansion, he has taken an unhealthy interest in Ursula. He has been following her around the city, seemingly by chance. This interest seems to me to confirm rumors from upriver concerning his conduct there and his reasons for returning."

Wallesan raised his eyebrows. "Do you tell me? I have not taken much note of recent rumor, as you may well understand. Fanis?"

"Wal, it is true. I do not know if this is just a fancy on sighting someone new or something more... concerning. Of course, neither of our boys have yet found wives and perhaps this is an attempt by Math to remedy that lack."

The Duke nodded. "That may be so. I will study the activities of both boys more carefully in the coming days, I think. The future of the Duchy is at stake and therefore, of course, its part in the Federation. Eriana, I thank you for your plain speaking. Do not hesitate to do it again, should you consider it needful." He smiled. "But only in private, I deem."

"Wallesan, I am honored that you would hear my counsel at all. Thank you."

Fanis leaned forward to the table.

"More wine, Eriana?"

The Princess held up a hand. "No more tonight, Fanis. I must have a clear head in the morning, I deem. There will be much to do."

Wallesan spoke. "You are decided, then?"

"Aye, Wallesan. We cannot sail tomorrow, it is too soon, there are visitors to greet, but after breakfast the next day if all may be accomplished."

"Your ship is ready?"

"Of course! It has been ready some while, as you well know. It is the fitness of the crew that has caused us to remain in Joth and Ursula has now pronounced all fit enough to sail. I shall instruct Lars to arrange the loading of the stores we will need, that is all."

"What of your pilot? Have you the same fellow as before?"

Eriana shook her head. "No-one knows where he is, Wallesan. If needs be, I can always find another."

"And Ursula?"

"I do not know. I will bespeak her in the morning, I think, find out what she wants to do. She has already made herself at home in Joth, I deem, but something bothers her yet. Tomorrow, then."

"As you say. If there is anything more that those of Joth may do for you and your crew, come to me directly. We owe you all a great deal and you have made Joth better by your presence here."

"Thank you, Wallesan, your words mean much to me, and I shall tell the crew what you have said to me."

"Then perhaps we should all retire now. Matters may look very different after a good night's sleep."

"Aye." Eriana rose. "Good night to you both."

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent, as usual

And I have updated the requisite appendix entries.

Joolz.

Exposed

joannebarbarella's picture

Mathenar has been exposed in two ways. It seems that Luthan may be the more reliable of the brothers.

The main remaining point, though, is whether Ursula will stay in Joth or travel on with the Visund. I won't even hazard a guess.

It's still a gripping tale.

This is concerning, Mathenar

This is concerning, Mathenar likes to talk big, but seems unwilling to back it up.

A thought

If it is tradition to carry an emblem from encountering a Ptuvil, I suspect there may also be a similar tradition for those that have killed Grakh, maybe using it's leather for something?

Parents want to believe the best of their children

BarbieLee's picture

"where I come from Mathenar would be deemed a coward. He should at least have tried"
Look to the others and if all of them had done what Mathenar did, probably all would have been killed. Luckily for the rest, the cowardice of one didn't cause the others to lose the battle. Make no mistake, it was a battle. Bennet and Semma weren't battle hardened and yet both stood the test of a true soldier trained to fight instead of run and hide no matter how scared one is at that instant. Where did Mathenar spend his time at the front in the war with the Yod? In a brothel?
Bravery, courage, intelligence, willing to sacrifice whatever it takes can't be taught. It can be honed but not taught. It has to be in the soul, the person.
Excellent chapter Penny, lots of action, lots of revealing of individuals true self.
Hugs hon
Barb
Life is a gift. Don't waste it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Worse

Is that he demonstrates false confidence, all bark- no bite. If he is to be a ruler and political figure, it'd only be a matter of time before others catch on to that, this would make him easy to manipulate, or possibly even set up a local uprising to overthrow.

Power corrupts

BarbieLee's picture

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. He has already proven he is ready to use his position as heir to the throne as an absolute right and he can't be wronged. God help those poor souls who will be left behind to live under his rule if he becomes duke.
Would Keren and Garia send Erinna to have a little talk with him if he becomes successor to the throne? He wouldn't be the first duke they had to take to task. And that was on the way back from Blackstone.(in love with other people's money) or obsessed with power, very very few can resist.
hugs mhalpern
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Technically that was a count

Technically that was a count not a duke, but you bring up a different point that is also of concern, by arguing about the Captain's authority he is in effect demonstrating an unwillingness to defer to subject matter experts, and we all know how that can turn out. That isn't an issue of power, but one of control,

so the Prince is a coward

and more than likely a bully. Not a good person to be the heir.

DogSig.png

Missing pilot

I hope he's alright

Even Tyra had more guts than

Even Tyra had more guts than Mathenar and she has barely started training.

Math

Something about Math that just does not add up, eh?

Furthermore I suspect he may have been the source of divisions where he was posted.

If he can be reformed, surely there will be dividends.

Good puns

But I don't know if they can afford to have him as heir, we know that in Brikant that the Duke has an established right to choose someone other than their eldest son to succeed him, as that threat was made in SEE, it is possible the same is true for the other valley states. If he's all bark, no bite, he's going to get trampled when dealing with politics. And with this showing up so close to the city, there is only so much respect he can expect locally, even if he cleaned up his act. That isn't to say he'd be useless, just not as the Duke.

A weak Math

Well, you’re right, he has a negative sense of identity which definitely does not square with his future responsibilities as Duke, Math subtract his current flaws may only yield a small net positive.

But, we have to get to the root of his problems before we know if he can have a Prince Torulf moment. He has no positive role model to guide him right now to get him to the point where he can offer proof of his suitability as heir.

In the meantime it certainly leaves his father in a di-lemma.

Edit: I wonder if next morning will tell the tale. If he was able to rationalize his cowardice he would sleep like a log and be fresh, otherwise he should appear troubled, tired.

Role models

He has a number of them around him, if he would choose to listen, his father for one, demonstrates an ease when it comes to deferring to experts, he even acknowledged that while aboard the Visund Eriana had authority over him, as a matter of course. If anything he should have learned that when he was sent off to fight, but he clearly hasn't. Torulf wanted to learn how to be a leader, he just needed a teacher, Math seems to be actively ignoring the examples around him, seeing himself as above most of those examples.

This could be why he wasn't particularly interested in the idea of exploration, to his mind it would lead to having more people of equivalent or greater rank to deal with.

He also seems uncomfortable with uncertainty, unless the odds are significantly favorable. This could make him more valuable in negotiating trade deals however.

It will be interesting how he reacts to the technological wonders of Palarand,

Maybe, but doubtful

LibraryGeek's picture

The idea of finding a way of utilizing his faults, of seeking areas where they could be made strengths, is nice...in some ways.

As he is, he cannot be allowed to be in command of any venture. He thinks of himself first and only, has no willingness to risk himself for the sake of others, and is dishonest concerning his own nature when dealing with others; he talks big about protecting, but flees combat when it occurs. He has no loyalty to anyone except himself. He is a stalker who denies all when confronted with the truth of his behaviour.

Such a person is disaster in command. They drive out those who are honest and loyal to realm/company/party, and attract those who see them as easy to manipulate for their own benefit. Joth cannot afford such a one as ruler. Joth cannot afford such a one as a member of the ruling house, even if barred from succession...if something occurred such that they were the last, would that bar be maintained? He would certainly believe it would not.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Mmmm,

Giant Chicken for supper.

Colors shown

Jamie Lee's picture

Mathenar is a blowhard, and proved it during the animal attack. As usual, he only thought of himself when the others were fighting off, and killing, those flying monsters. Mathenar raised his yellow flag during that fight.

And then he tried to bluff his way through why he hid himself. Daddy better catch on quickly to his oldest son's antics, before that son is put in charge.

Others have feelings too.