Woman in the Corner Office - 1

Printer-friendly version


Woman in the Corner Office

20200327_114136.jpeg

I'd heard about her within minutes of coming to work my first day, 'watch out, there's one of them tranny perverts working here.' The guy whispered it like saying it out loud might make her appear. Just what I needed on my first day, a redneck lout proving his ignorance. I wonder what he'd be saying about the Jersey wop behind my back once he found out my last name.

While I'd been to Tampa many times to visit my mother, I'd never stayed more than a week, often just a long weekend. When dad died I'd tried to get her to move back up north with me but she said she had way too many friends to leave. Besides why would she want to go back to the snow and cold? No, she was perfectly happy here in her own home.

When she became ill I didn't have the heart to move her away from her friends. So I moved in with her. The company was more than willing to let me transfer. There was a lot more money in Florida than New Jersey and I was very good at making my clients money.

I hired a live-in nurse but mom's face always lit up when I came home. I spent evenings with her just talking. After all I didn't know how long I'd have with her. Mom liked having me there but told me I needed to get out and have a life besides talking to an old lady every night.

I'd been working in Tampa for nearly six months before I ran into Christina. I had a late appointment with a client and rather than drive home and back into town to meet him I'd just stayed. Getting hungry I decided to make a quick trip to Brocato's for a cuban sandwich. They had nothing like it in Jersey.

There was only one other car in the parking lot and it wasn't going anywhere. Someone had slashed all four tires and the car had sunk to the rims. Leaning against it and softly sobbing was a woman I'd never seen.

Careful not to spook her I stopped about ten feet away. I noticed her reaching into her purse and suspected she might have pepper spray or, this being Florida, maybe a gun.

"I'm sorry miss but I work here. We can go inside and call someone to fix your tires if you like. my name is Tony, Tony Falzone."

"Yes, I know who you are. I've written several analyses for you."

"You, you're C. Bowman?"

"What, you expected some guy with a pocket protector and glasses with tape in the middle?"

Obviously this woman was on the defensive and then I realized she must be the 'tranny pervert' I'd been warned about.

"Not at all, I'm just shocked that I haven't met you sooner. I wasn't aware you worked in the building. I thought you were based in California."

"I was until necessity required a transfer here. Believe me, this is the last place I wanted to be."

"Florida is nothing like California is it. Nothing like New Jersey either. Surely though, you don't want to stand out here all night. I was heading to Brocato's for something to eat before meeting a client. Why don't you join me. You can call a towing service and have them replace the tires while we eat."

She looked at me quizzically, obviously trying to discern my motive. I guess in her position I might do the same. I didn't attempt to do anything more than wait as she mulled over my offer. After what seemed like several minutes but was probably less than one she shrugged and said okay.

I directed her to my car, not that it wasn't fairly obvious, being the only other one in the lot. I think she was surprised when I opened the door for her to get in before going round the other side.

She was quiet during the short trip, using the time to fix her face. It was a nice face and looked nicer after repairing her makeup.

Chapter 2
I had recovered somewhat from my emotional breakdown. The endocrinologist had warned me that the hormones would affect my feelings and behavior. I'm sure a few months ago I probably would have been kicking tires and swearing a blue streak. It was embarrassing to find myself like that in front of another man. I corrected myself. It wasn't another man because I wasn't one. It was difficult sometimes to remember. A lifetime of being treated as and expecting to respond as a male is not easy to overcome. It's like a robot fighting to be free of its programming and become human. My therapist would probably have a lot to say about that if she were here. I missed her quiet manner and honest appraisals. Phone conversations were just not the same. She had encouraged me to find a therapist locally.

At least the man who came up to me wasn't one of the many who hated me for no reason other than I was trying to live life as who I really was. I'd waited until I thought everyone had left before going to my car only to discover I wasn't going anywhere. It's why I never drove to work after the first week. Once my car had been identified the vandalism had begun. So I took the bus. I lived right off a bus route and there was a stop almost directly in front of the office building.

This morning I had an important appointment and was forced to take my car. When I came out I realized I should have taken the extra time to go home and take the bus. Whining after the fact wasn't going to get my car fixed. Thinking about fixing things I worked on fixing my face as Tony drove us to Brocato's.

I told Tony I needed to call AAA and have them send someone out. The lady I reached was very nice but informed me it might be a couple of hours, especially when I told her all four tires needed to be replaced. She informed me there would be a surcharge as I had exceeded the limit on calls for the year. Tony must have seen my face as he asked for my phone. I wondered why as he introduced himself to the lady.

Apparently he was a long time platinum member and asked that his new fiance's repairs be charged to his AAA account. He thanked the lady for her help as he handed back the phone and the woman on the line assured me they would have my tires replaced within the hour. She also congratulated me on my engagement. The bastard just grinned at me.

I opened the door and got out of the car before I said something I'd regret. I know he was just being helpful and that it didn't cost him anything but a little lie but the impact of those words went far beyond his expectations. He thought it was funny, pulling the wool over the rep's eyes. But hearing those words hurt. His fiance'! He had no idea of the dreams and hopes I had and he'd made a joke of them. I knew he didn't do it to hurt me. He did it to help me, but it was like throwing me a rope - with an anchor attached!

up
304 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great start.

Wow. Hooked me right away. Thanks. Please keep it up. Very real feeling.

cool start

this looks really interesting

DogSig.png

Yes, excellent start.

Robertlouis's picture

Yes, excellent start.

☠️

Feelings

I like this story so far. Real life feelings, attitudes and expectations with misunderstandings. It could go far with a good ending.

a story with heart

keep it up, it was great. I look forward to more.

A great start

A very well written story, can't wait for the next chapters

Self confident absent

Jamie Lee's picture

Family looking after family doesn't seem to be the norm as it once was. But sometimes there are those who do take care of their family because it's that important to them.

The AH in that office needs a major attitude adjustment. Maybe spending time by himself on a deserted isle will help him regain focus. And maybe after he's dropped off there he might be forgotten about.

Getting all four tires slashed, and the previous vandalism, should be enough to report it to her boss. And if her boss doesn't take action to catch the person, then take it to Corporate. And if nothing still isn't done then find a lawyer and get advice what the next move should be.

It doesn't matter that she's TG, she has the same rights as everyone else. And no one has the right to harass her under any circumstances.

Others have feelings too.