Covid 19 part 14 Crossing the line.

Printer-friendly version

Nineteen 14 Over the line but not done.

©Copyright to Beverly Taff

List of Characters.
Terry Harrington. Fugitive boy marked for compulsory transitioning.
Samantha, (Sam) First transitioned kid Terry meets on the streets.
Theodora (Dora) Leader of the transitioned kid gang.
Jessica. (Jessie) The only natal girl in Dora’s gang.
Charlie Member of the transitioned gang.
Jan Another member of the transitioned gang.
Ron Café owner who lost his daughter to egg-snatchers.
Doctor McTavish. Female paediatrician
Doctor Cummins Professorial Consultant Paediatrician
Sarah. Senior Midwife at the maternity unit
Dawn Very young trainee nurse.
Eleanor Jessica’s mother.
Diana Terri’s mother.
Marek. Refugee from ISIS terrorists in Syria.

Part 14

While Terri pre-occupied herself in the bathroom Jessie took it upon herself to probe / ask Professor Cummins about the dangers of egg extraction.

“Well, these days Miss Jessie, they’re very low. The world has had a lot of experience these last twenty years or so with egg recovery or, as it’s more colloquially known – ‘egg-snatching’.”

“That expression’s not just colloquial,” Jessie protested mildly, “it’s almost universal, - at least among us young women it is, - and street kids, for what that’s worth.”

“I don’t think anybody would disagree with that, cruel necessity I’m afraid; - well it was until your amazing partner appeared. How do you think he’s handling the pressure?”

Jessica forced herself to ignore the Professor’s pronoun slip;

“After all,” she told herself, “Terri seemed totally unphased when other people got her pronouns wrong.” I that respect, Jessica had to admire her partner.

“Terri’s handling the pressure okay so far, so good.” Jessica observed before qualifying her view. “But the pressure’s hardly started yet, has it?”

“Sadly, you’re right, and next Monday we’ll find out just how much pressure there is.”

“Why?” Jessica wondered.

“The government goes public about Terri’s sperm. They’re going to announce it at a special WHO meeting.”

“But they’ll be keeping Terri’s identity a secret.”

“Of course! We’ll use every endeavour to do that, but we’ll be under immense pressure.”

“Terri won’t be best pleased that the government have chosen the World Health Organisation; she’s had a low opinion of them since the first Covid nineteen outbreak all those years ago.”

“It’s the best choice of a bad bunch I’m afraid, and it’s the best way for us to be seen as fair.”

As he said this, Professor Cummins suddenly wondered.

“Why did you ask about the risks surrounding egg recovery?”

“I was thinking about donating some eggs and wondering if it’s possible to only donate a few, you know, like not stripping the cupboard bare.”

“Really!! You’ve changed your tune.”

“The situation’s changed, hasn’t it?”

“Of course, but healthy eggs from younger women are still scarce. The most eggs we’ve been able to harvest successfully from one individual is a couple of hundred. Most eggs don’t survive one single, total extraction, Unless the girl is prepared to donate eggs several times through her life thus enabling the remaining unharvested eggs to ripen in the follicles of the ovaries; otherwise, we only get a couple of hundred per girl.”

“Is it possible to only extract a couple of eggs?”

“Of course, that’s the way we used to do it, - back in the day that is, but nowadays, well.”

“Yes. I realise the issues.” Jessica agreed. “To put it crudely, it’s a numbers game.”

“If the human race is to survive, it had to be, - until Terri appeared.” The professor admitted apologetically, then added. “Thank God, that prospect’s been eliminated. So Jessica, why do you want to donate some eggs, and why so few?”

“I’ll wait until Terri returns and he can say why. I’m prepared to donate more eggs later on, after I’ve done this first.”

“Done what?” The professor asked.

“Later.” Jessica replied as Doctor McTavish returned with a tray of tea and biscuits.

“Where’s George?” Jessica asked.

“He’s down the lab’s preparing to separate some Y Sperm for Marek to courier to the Persian Gulf.”

At that George reappeared and shortly after, Terri appeared with the sample.

“Oooh! Choccy bic’s and coffee.” She grinned as she handed the phyle to George.

“You can have my coffee, I haven’t touched it,” George declared as he left immediately for the labs.

“Jeeze! He’s in a hurry.”

“Yes,” the professor replied, “there’s been a change of plan, the sooner Marek gets to the Gulf States, the faster the ISIS resurgence is nipped in the bud. They’re looking to capture you as some sort of blackmail tool.”

“So how does getting the sperm there avert their endeavours?”

“It’s pretty much common knowledge that there is a source of XY sperm in the UK and ISIS are trying to accuse Britain of using it as a blackmail.”

“When it comes to fundamentalists, and fundamentalist governments,” Terri declared bluntly, “I am using it as blackmail. No girl or daughter of mine deserves to be abused or denied fundamental human rights; like the right to control of her own body.”

“Well said Terri.” Doctor McTavish applauded with a soft hand-clap. “Have you discussed your terms?”

“Pretty much,” Terri replied as Jessica declared a loud, simultaneous “YES!”

Her loud determined response served to emphasise the couple’s feelings and Jessica dug out her mobile.

“Here they are. Terri hasn’t put them on her phone in case her phone gets hacked.”

“Very sensible girl.” Professor Cummins applauded.

“Glad to see you’re getting the pronouns right professor.”

“I thought you said Terri doesn’t care.”

“He doesn’t but it you keep referring to her as him or his or he, others might pick up on it. And I worry about her security even if she doesn’t”

“The professor ‘harrumphed’ irritably but he knew Jessica was right.”

With Terri down in the labs with George the others chatted at length about the conditions that Terri and Jessica had laid down.

“There’s going to be lot’s not liking some of these conditions.”

“Only if they’re religious bigots, homophobes, transphobes or machoistic patriarchals.”

“Somebody might get two plus two to be four if they consider these conditions in depth. Terri might inadvertently reveal his trans issues.”

“There’s issues enough with the enforced transitions and some fundamentalists. They’ll be pre-occupied with the present issues enough to slow down any psychological extrapolations.” If Terri keeps a low profile and I present as a lesbian that should be publicity enough to cover the trail. Just let people think I was somehow inseminated by an anonymous donor that nobody knew was XY and he wishes to remain anonymous for obvious reasons.”

Eventually, Terri returned from the labs with the News that George reckoned he had isolated enough spermatozoa and they were already packaged. Marek was collecting them and he was on his way to the airport.

“He didn’t see you there did he?”

“Not to speak to. He passed me in the corridor but I was wearing a lab coat. He would have presumed I was just another transitioned lab worker. It’s a big place.”

“Good,” the professor observed as he explained.

“Jessica has explained why she is prepared to donate some eggs, are you happy about your two friends?”

“Yes, they asked for this and Jessie’s okay with it still, - aren’t you Jess?”

Jessica nodded and added.

“I’ve agreed to undergo the extraction next week, after they’ve injected the hormones and my cycle is advanced.”
“Okay. I’ll speak to Jan and Charlie tomorrow then, in the park. I’m not discussing anything over the phone.”

With the plans finalised, Terri and Jessica retired to their apartment.

The next day, Jessica went for the hormone injection while Terri went to the Castle Gardens to meet Jan and Charlie.

“It’s all fixed girls. You’ll be needed next week all being well. You’ll be needing these.”

“What are these?” The pair chorused.

“Letters from Professor Cummins stating you’re exempt from any compulsory impregnation experiments or procedures by the Nightingale foundation because of your exposure to my antibodies when your recovered from the Covid 21.”

“Will this work?” Charlie wondered.

“Yes. Professor Cummins is a big noise with the fertility ministry. His word is law.”

“Good cos there’s a lot of stuff going down this weekend as the lists are being prepared for the first tranche of impregnations with the XY semen.”

“My semen, as if you needed reminding girls,” Terri grinned as they took a table in their favourite café and ordered coffees.

“Yeah, well, being as you’re the toast of the town, you can pay for the coffees.” Jessica chortled.

Terri had no objections; she knew the government allowances paid to enforced transgenderists only just covered clothing, rent and food. She, on the other hand, now lived high on the hog.

After chatting at length, they went for a stroll around the city docks which had now been extensively gentrified. Terri knew that after the next week, she would have to be doubly cautious about casually walking out in public and accompanying Jessica would be virtually impossible without the armed guards surrounding Jessica.

“Don’t forget you two. My female persona is a vital disguise and we must preserve it at all costs.”

“Yeah. We got that love. Well, we’ve got to get back before the hostel curfew. It’s not a rigid rule and not harshly enforced but they like to know if we’re safe. Any unusual circumstances might cause interest to focus on us. See you next week at the clinic.”

“You’ll see Jessica and the professor but likely not me. I’m very low profile at the clinic so don’t acknowledge me if you see me in any public spaces or any of the labs. They’re going public with the XY sperm news on Monday but I’m still incognito. Jessica and our daughters, however, will be all over the news. We’ve got to feel our way a bit for the next few months. At least until they know my sperm works and they can determine the sexes of the foetuses.”

“Good night both.”

“Bye babes. Be quick, isn’t that your bus?”

Terri recognised the driver as the one who had helped her a few nights earlier and she smiled as she paid the fare. Through the window she waved at her friends and settled in her favourite seat at the front by the driver. Safety was now paramount for an attractive girl alone in the city. She arrived at the clinic just as the evening shadows were darkening and checked to see if she recognised one of the regular armed guards at the gate. It was not one of their regular personal escorts but she had seen him several times patrolling the grounds.

Behaving just like any regular employee of the clinic she exchanged a brief ‘good-night’ before entering the accommodation block that housed her and Jessica’s apartment.

“Hi babe’s, I’m ba-ack. How was the egg thing?”

“Oh it was just tests and hormone jab’s to prepare the follicles in my ovaries, they’ll extract the eggs next week but the day depends on my bodily response. Charlie and Jan will have to live in for a few days so their uterus linings can be prepared with hormones and synchronised with my eggs. Your part is easy, lucky bitch!”

Terri smiled softly. “All right don’t rub it in.”

They hugged each other for long emotional minutes before settling for bed.

The following day turned out wet as a storm blew in from the Atlantic. This was a blessing in disguise for it meant the pram (buggy) had to be buttoned up against the driving rain and far less people were in the park. Charlie and Jan met them by ‘The Twist’ under the Cherry Tree and they immediately retired to the Costa coffee house. Arrangements were finalised and instructions concerning safety procedures explained. The café had emptied except for a tall black girl sat by the entrance and seemingly fussing with her phone.

Terri explained to Charlie and Jan as Jessica draped her shawl over her shoulders and commenced motherly things with her daughters.
“Just remember, we now have to have an armed guard all the time. That’s her by the door, don’t acknowledge her.”

Charlie and Jan turned to exchange the briefest of knowing glances and the girl just blinked discreetly to confirm she had recognised them as friends.
Half an hour later, after Jessica had finished nursing, Terri signed discretely to the guard and she casually finished her coffee to depart the café and check the area before the friends emerged. Outside as they prepared to separate in the driving rain, Terri cautioned her two friends.

“Don’t forget, when our daughters go public on Monday with the United nations announcement, we might have to go into lock-down. Jessica’s name will be splashed all over the world but the father will remain anonymous for obvious reasons. Security will be increased however and we might not be able to meet casually like this until things settle down.”

“How long d’ you think that’ll be?” Jan pressed.

Terri shrugged apologetically.

“How long is a piece of string?”

“We’re gonna’ miss you babes.” Charlie sighed.

“Unless they move you to the clinic for safety and you move into our accommodation block.”

“But that’ll mean some sort of lockdown. The clinic will be surrounded by hordes of reporters all screaming for information.” Charlie observed.

“Or terrorists looking to locate super-dad.” Terri advised. “Remember, keep shtum!”

“During the week-end the storm continued into Sunday and the friends only briefly met up as Jessica and Terri savoured their last truly free forays into the park. On Monday evening the news broke but a strange calm persisted until Wednesday as newshounds all over the UK searched for the twins and their parents. During that calm period, Charlie and Jan moved in to prepare for their artificial conceptions.”

On the Thursday morning, Professor Cummins returned from the United Nations WHO offices in Switzerland and eventually clawed his way through the press frenzy at the gates to the Bristol fertility clinic. His first call was Jessica’s apartment.

“Bloody hell! I feel as though I’ve just been in a buffalo stampede!”

Jessica and Doctor McTavish grinned. They had never heard Professor Cummins swear before.

“So Proff;” Aggie McTavish chuckled, “Where d’ you intend holding your press conference? – The Albert Hall.”

“I could hold it in Wembley football stadium and there still wouldn’t be enough seats!”

“I’m getting worried Proff,” Jessica remarked as she peered through a tiny gap in her curtains. “They’re all the way down the street, it’s pandemonium.”

“This going to take some organising!” The professor sighed. “I’ve never had to handle something this big.”

“Do it on-line Proff,” Terri suggested as she emerged from the kitchen. “Let the media vultures organise it.”

“Good idea,” the professor agreed as he phoned the clinic administration office.

After some more calls, a press conference was organised and ten different news agencies were invited to connect on-line and question Professor Cummins on the Friday at 1400 to facilitate US, Russian and Middle Eastern media organisations in addition to European ones. Other countries would have to endure late-night or early morning connections. Through the ten international agencies, the interview was distributed world-wide.

“Now I know how politicians feel,” Professor Cummins revealed as he finally reached the table and took his seat.

They had decided that sitting down conveyed a more scientific circumstance unlike standing, that seemed to imply a political state of affairs. Nevertheless, he was almost invisible behind the array of microphones. Beside him sat the British Minister of health and the WHO chief executive plus an American Supreme court Judge to convey as international a flavour as possible and avert any accusations of political black mail.

Naturally, the first question concerned Jessica’s absence and ‘the father’s’ continued anonymity.

The question was brushed aside easily as the clear dangers of kidnap and religious animosities were demonstrated by revealing the already countless threats and demands that had flooded the clinic’s e-mail-box.

The second question was a sighting of the girls and this was agreed to. Jessica placed a mask over her face that almost resembled an Islamic Niqab then she entered the room and presented her daughters. A request for the girl’s genitals to be exposed was fiercely debated until Jessica finally declared that in the interests of science she would allow one five-second close-up to demonstrate that girls were no longer to be considered pieces of male property to be locked away and hidden from view, or leered at and slavered over depending on whichever countries or cultures they were exposed to.

Openness, freedom and transparency and respect were to be the watchwords of the lives of all of the girls born to the ‘anonymous father’

To drive the message home, she also stipulated that if any news agency or country refused to reproduce the image about to be shown, that country would be denied the father’s sperm.
The mood in the room became suddenly silent as various on-line reporters digested Jessica’s words and countenanced the fall-out.

Once the camera video was completed with a clear image of Jessica’s hand uncovering her infant daughter’s bodies to provide undeniable proof of the images’ authenticity, Jessica covered up her infant daughters and left. Outside she slumped against the wall and wondered if she had done the right thing.

‘Would her daughters one-day condemn her for such a move?’ She wondered.

Seeing the turmoil in her demeanour, Doctor McTavish and Sarah the midwife gathered around her to support her.

Meanwhile, back in the newsroom, Professor Cummins was declaring the carefully prepared list of conditions that Jessica and Terri had stipulated concerning the proper use and fair dispensation of Terri’s sperm.

The uproar that followed left the professor and the other members of the panel exhausted as they fended off accusations from all sorts of sources.

ooo000ooo

up
129 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Conditions

As if those countries have any choice at least to extremely groveling to the necessity.

But how to enforce it after receiving sperm would be an issue.

I can see why Marek getting guarantee of continuity of his family line in any sense makes taking on this risky mission make it worthwhile.

There is no entitlement here. A country or two missing is small potatoes in the scheme of things.

If I had the time, I would do a eugenics thing for the best of the race to receive it in preference.

There is god knows how much trash in the gene pool.

Eugenics.

If the authorities had stopped the partially sighted, blind, syphilitic drunk from marrying the partially deaf alcoholic and breeding, they would have stopped Beethoven from being born. Genes can be like roses growing in sewage.

Besides, Marek only couriered twenty (20) male Y gametes that's barely enough to sound a wake-up call to any country offending human liberties! Furthermore, the infighting within the country to have one of their relative's eggs fertilised by a single gamete would probably foment revolution in that country. Twenty spermatoza would do more harm than good . Think of the infighting in a totalitarian theocracy!

bev_1.jpg

Can’t agree

A remotely few possible recombinant geniuses does not preclude the uncovering of more geniuses of that caliber that were suppressed/smothered by that morass of junk needed to be disposed of to find that grain of gold.

We see how toxic gold mining is, eh?

We have not tried eugenics but I am willing to give it a go.

Look, we have already tried it your way, and we have the current result.

Do you honestly believe humanity will survive without a more stable base?

Eugenics.

Hitler tried eugenics firstly by operating Arian breeding farms and secondly by exterminating a religious group renowned for their scholarship.

Some might argue that Hitler killed the wrong people because of his flawed and indeed evil perceptions.

Who decides what qualities are to be favoured in any eugenics programme and who decides what qualities are to be eviscerated?

Eugenics is a very dangerous path to genoicide. Who guards the guards.

Furthermore, some religious bigots might advocate the extermination of gays and transgendered people in the name of Eugenics. Look how Alan Turing was driven to suicide by a brutal law that made his very existence illegal and a legal verdict that had him castrated..

bev_1.jpg

Eugenics

As tempting as it might be to stop the stupid and sociopathic people from breeding, creating a Niven-esqe fertility board would be a bad idea. Like most utopian sounding ideas where the few wield supposedly benevolent control over the many, it seldom stays that way. Concentrations of power always attract those who crave power. Those who crave power are often talented and always motivated to get what they want.

So yes, who guards the guards?

Edit:

Also, if the targets of the eugenics can't get their piece of the pie, they'll feel justified to stomp on everyone's pie.

Eugenics

There is eugenics and then there is eugenics.

I am not suggesting the master race crap or a communistic planned version of eugenics but optimizing for better disease resistance, mental stability, longevity while allowing enough ‘play’ in the genetics to have a bit of ‘wild seed’ in them so the random seed of genius might be more common would enhance the species.

We do not want overbreeding nor do we want to allow too much random bad genetic crosses to happen, that is all.

Call it eugenics light if you guys like.

The point here in this story universe is that there is an opportunity to fix the low hanging fruit of human problems if they so choose as they are starting basically from scratch anyway.

Eugenics Light

That might be the intent, but someone will succeed in using it for their own purposes.

Misuse

Shrug, life is always about risks vs rewards aint it?

In this universe one can argue this is already on the road to eugenics anyway as we are creating the most massive upheaval in the genetic chains anyway, introducing disease resistance and genetic resilience, effectively enriching the human genome, all from ONE progenitor.

A disease free, healthy population, keeps all apex predators, apex eh?

Eugenics

That would make a good science fiction story.

The world agrees to have a fertility board. But, just like in the real world, the purveyors of power -- be they owners of the world banks, high stakes stock owners, or the owners of multinational corporations -- will have their lobbyists propose (buy) tiny little tweaks that seem innocuous.

After some generations, most of the world's population will start to like loyal dogs that would never consider going against their masters. That's because all of the criminals, rabble rousers, and other free thinkers will have been bred out. We don't want those people carrying signs in Washington, the Kremlin, Bejing, or whatever. No, we want peace. Those rabble rousers have the right to seek redress of their issues. They have the freedom of speech to complain. But do we really want them breeding?

And those lgbt folks. Yeah, we feel sorry for them and understand that they just want to live their lives and love who they want to love. But wouldn't it be more humane to just breed them out of the human race?

The hidden powers that be, however, will want their children to be aggressive and smart. They want to be proud of their children. They want to prepare them to take their place as the guardians and rulers of the sheep.

Terri Harrington - licensed to bring world peace!

Maddy Bell's picture

Well okay, that's not gonna happen but how will the rest of the world react to the girl's demands? Some regimes would be as happy to 'rub' them out as be held to their ransom. Will Terri have to compromise? Will ISIS realise they've been duped? Is that fancy burger joint still over the river from Bristol Castle? All this and less will not be answered next time!

And Bev did get her crumble, I'm out of bargaining chips now!

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

The World Couldn't Agree

joannebarbarella's picture

On a procedure to limit climate change so how can we expect them to agree on something fundamental?

A story in two parts? Har-De-Har-Har.