Childhood Friend 3

Printer-friendly version

{NOTE: Images and links are used only as the reference to the character in the story}

Chapter 3: Reasons.

‘Yeah, we both were so surprised when we first saw him with his hair this long!’ said Neha.
‘I know right! I am still trying to process it. I mean it is so long not even girls these days keep their hair this long at most they keep them till their waist.’ replied Reshma Aunty while taking a glass of water from my mom. (Shalini’s Mom)
‘That’s so true!, I knew he was growing his hair long but wouldn’t have guessed that he would grow them this long.’ Explained mom.
‘Not only his hair is long but the quality of his hair is amazing, just look at how healthy and straight they are many girls would die to have hair like this, they are just beautiful’
‘Thank you, Aunty!’ I replied embarrassingly while nervously adjusting my hair.
While both moms were chatting and asking questions to both of their children, Neha noticed that Ankit and Shalini haven’t spoken with each other but still were glancing at each other shyly. Then she said…‘Hey Ankit why don’t you take Shalini to your room, I am sure you too both have lot of catching up to do…I will be there soon (WINK)
‘Yes, take her upstairs I will call you when it's time for dinner.’ Said, Mom.
“BUT MOM…”
‘Go on now don’t let some aunties get between your reunion!’ ordered Reshma Aunty.
We both quickly got up and went upstairs to my room. I sat on my computer chair while she sat on the bed. It was a bit quiet for a moment then we both spoke…
“So how have you been?” We both said in unison.
“You-you go ahead first” replied Shalini clumsily. (She still looks cute while being clumsy.)
“I’ve been doing good, what about you?” I asked.
“I am doing good too, Sorry for being quiet down there, it’s just that I was so excited to meet you after a long time but I was so shocked seeing your new appearance.”
“Don’t be sorry I understand It’s been more than 6 years since we last saw each other.”
“Yeah, it’s been so long…but this room is still the same as ever.”
“My mom and sister were keeping it like that ever since I was away for studies.”
“The room is the same but you have changed so much, I never thought you will grow your hair this long, I still can’t believe it.
“You can touch it if you want to.”
“WHAT really? I can?” said Shalini. I can still see the spark of curiosity in her eyes. (she is still the same.)
“Yup!” I replied and got up and sat on a table near the bed.

sit.png

As soon I said ‘Yup’ and sat on the table she stood up and quickly went behind and started checking my hair.
She started running her hands in my hair and said “Wow they are so silky smooth and thick I can’t believe I am touching a boy’s hair.”
I turned around and gave her a look.
“I mean look at your hair they are more feminine than most females and the length, your hair is way longer than mine & I have almost hip-length hair.” Shalini Explained.
“About that, I never intended to grow them this long but during the past one year all salons were closed due to covid so…” I replied.
“Ok…so how long we're planning to grow them till?”
“Umm at least till my hips,” I replied shyly
“That is still VERY LONG Ankit! I don’t think I ever saw a guy with hair as long as yours.
Just when did you start thinking of growing your hair longer?”
“I think It was during 8th or 9th std that I….”
“DURING SCHOOL!!!” Shalini said out Loud!!
“Volume!!” I exclaimed.
“Sorry, but during our school time, you never told me about this?” Shalini asked.
“I too was not much sure about it at that time, It was during 11th std that I finally decided to grow them long!”
“Ok, so what or who Inspired you to have long hair?” Asked Shalini
I looked at her and said, “It's you!!”
“What! me when?”
“Remember at one time you forced me to watch a movie with your mother.”
“I forced you many times to watch movies with me………wait a min is it that movie.”

Before 10 Years

“No, I don’t want to come that movie is for girls only!” I explained.
“It is not!”
“IT IS!”
“No it’s not, Just because it is a Disney princess movie does not mean it is only for girls!” replied Shalini.
We were discussing this while going home on our bicycles. Finally, we reached Shalini’s home.
“Please come with me, I don’t want to watch it alone!”
“Isn’t your mom coming with you?”
“She is but I need a friend with me and didn’t I come with you to watch ‘how to train your dragon’ Please come with me you will like ‘Tangled’ too!”
“Ahh ok, I will come with you!” I said while being defeated.
“Really! Thank you so much” said Shalini while hugging Ankit.

The Next Day

We all 3 reached the cinema hall. The Movie will start at 5 pm so we were 15 min early to buy the tickets.
“I am so glad you came with us Ankit.” Said Aunty.
“Yeah, me too.” I said while looking at Shalini and still not sure about the decision I made.
While Aunty was buying tickets, Shalini & I went to buy popcorns.
“Hey don’t worry this will be a great experience for you,” said Shalini while looking at me.
“I guess so.”
As soon as we got the tickets and the popcorn we went into the hall.
After the movie ended all 3 of us went to a nearby restaurant to have dinner.
“So how was the movie kids? Asked Aunty.
“I loved it, what about you Ankit? Asked Shalini while looking at me.
“It was OK!” I replied.
“Don’t lie I saw you smiling the whole time!”
“I liked it! ok now.” I said embarrassingly.
“YUP!” Said Shalini while smiling.
Dinner came and we were still discussing our favorite things in the movie.
“My favorite character was Rapunzel!” I replied excitedly.
“Oh, me too I loved how she can take care of herself even if she is alone, what did you like about her?” asked Shalini.
“I liked everything about her but her luscious golden hair was the standout for me, still sad that she cut them in the end,” I said excitedly.
“Yeah, that was quite sad, still I liked the happy ending.”
“Me too!.”
After some time on the way home, Shalini said…
“Hey Ankit, I have an idea, why don’t we try growing our hair like her!”
“You can try, but I can’t,” I replied.
“Why?” asked Shalini.
“It’s quite obvious, boys can’t have long hair & even Rapunzel is a girl…I can’t have long hair!”
“Again, with the boy and girl thing…didn’t you watch the movie with me and who said boys can’t have long hair there are many who keep them long like Johnny Depp, Hair doesn’t have any gender.” Explained Shalini
After she said that I thought about it all the way to the home. Finally, after reaching home, I said to her…
“You know what Shalini, you are right I will try growing my hair longer.”
“Really?!” Shalini said excitedly.
“Yup,” I replied.
“Promise me you won’t go back on your words.” Shalini Asked.
“I PROMISE!”

Present Day

“I still remember about that day but I didn’t think you were serious about that promise.” Said Shalini after I told her about the promise we made.
“Yeah, after that day I started thinking about having long hair & whenever I used to see someone with long hair, I used to imagine myself with their hair.”
“Omg, you never told me about this!” Exclaimed Shalini.
“Like I said, I was still not so sure during that time and truth to be told I was quite embarrassed at that time to talk with anyone about this.”
“Still didn’t we share everything back then and you didn’t even try to contact me after 11th std are you still angry about that conversation.”
“No I am not, I was angry at first but I understood your circumstances, I wanted to contact you but then you changed your number and I didn’t want to ask your Mom so…what about, you didn’t try to contact me,” I replied hastily.
“I too wanted to but life was really hard for us back then and when I wanted to I too didn’t have any way to contact you…. you didn’t even have any social media account.”
There was an Awkward silence in the room after a few min I spoke “Guess we both got busy in life!”
Shalini nods her head.
“I am Sorry!” we both said again in union and after a second, we laughed together.
Just then my sister entered my room and put a hand over Shalini.
“Sis at least knock!”
“Sorry old habits, so Shalini what is your thought on my brother’s sorry little sister new appearance, doesn’t he look cute in long hair.?” Asked Shalini.
Shalini took some locks of my hair and put it on my shoulder and said “Yup, He sure does a bit feminine but cute, way better than his old spike hairstyle.”
“Hey, that was the thing back then!!” I Exclaimed.
“Yeah right!” replied Shalini and all of us laughed.
We 3 chatted so much that we forgot to look at the time. ‘I missed this so much.’ I thought to myself. Both of them keep asking questions regarding my long hair like how did I keep them at college? what style do I like? How did you keep it like this? And many more.
After some time mom called us down for dinner. I was searching for my scrunchie to tie my hair into a ponytail. (tied hair doesn’t disturb during eating food.) “Hey sis did you see my black scrunchie?” I asked my sister.
“No, I didn’t see it.”
“Let it be, Shalini will you get me scrunchie from the bag near you?”
“Yeah, wait a min!” replied Shalini.
.
.
.
“Here take this.” Said Shalini while handing me a white scrunchie. I quickly brushed my hair back and tied my hair in a ponytail.

lhp.png

While looking at me Shalini said, “Hey you tied it the same as me.”
“Yeah, I tie it like that because of my length, If I tied it low it gets loose quickly,” I replied.
Shalini and Neha looked at each other and laughed. I didn’t understand why they laughed so I asked them “Hey, why are you guys laughing.”
“It’s nothing.” Replied my sister.
“OK, well let’s not keep them waiting.”
We went down sat to have dinner with everyone. Just then Reshma aunty said while looking at me…” Ankit you look so different with your long hair, you look so much like your mother in your ponytail.” (My mom was also wearing ponytail.)
“He got my looks while his sister got his dad's.” Replied my mom while my sister and Shalini were holding their laughter. Then I got why they were laughing at me back then and turned red in embarrassment.
After dinner, I and Shalini got out to have a walk near the garden while others were busy talking.
As we were walking Shalini said…
“It’s been so long since both of us got together and had fun like this.”
I nodded.
“And this is the first time that I was so surprised by you that I didn’t had words to describe it.”
“How many times will you bring that up!” I replied.
“I mean who would believe if I told them that you have grown your hair till your knees.”
“They are still not till my knees,” I said while pushing my ponytail back.
“In a few months they will be.”
“Well, then I have to cut them then...” as soon as I said that Shalini shouted!
“DON’T!!”
“Why?”
“They are better long.” Answered Shalini.
I was quite surprised by her answer because I didn’t think she would like me to have hair longer than her. “If you say so.”
“Well, enough about me…you are still the same.”
“WHAT?” said Shalini while staring at me angrily.
“I don’t mean appearance-wise, I meant behaviour-wise.”
“So you mean I am still like a child!”
“NO NO I meant like sweet, funny, and caring….” I replied hurriedly.
“I was just Joking Ankit, & Thank you……well what about appearance?” said Shalini while posing in front of me.
As soon as she said that I spoke without thinking what came to my mind first.
“You have become more beautiful and Ravishing since I last saw you!”
I quickly realized how embarrassing things I have said out loud. I thought she will shout at me for saying this thing but when I looked at her, I saw that she too was blushing.
If we were still the same Shalini would have shouted at me for saying things like that but I guess she too has changed over the years.
There was a silence for a min between us then I spoke “So-Sorry I didn’t think before I speak!”
“It Its ok.” Shalini stuttered.
Shalini got a call from her mother.
“It’s mom, we have to leave!”
“Yeah, it’s getting late let’s go home.”
While walking the way home Shalini said…
“Hey, Ankit You busy Sunday evening?”
“I don’t think so why?” I curiously asked her.
“Some of our classmates are going to meet up at the café near the mall, I am going will you come?” Asked Shalini while playing with her hair.
“I don’t know about that and I think my sister is also going with her friends so there will be no vehicle for me.”
“Come on…I am sure they will love to have you & I will pick you up on the way.”
“I will think about it!” I replied.
“Don’t think please come it will be fun meeting them. PLEASE!!”
She repeated ‘please’ all the way to the home. Too which I finally said, “OK stop it now, I will come.”
“YAY!” she said in excitement.
I sighed and said, “I still can’t argue with you can I?”
“NEVER!” Said Shalini while smirking.
We both reached home and saw everyone standing near the gate.
“Thank you for having us today, we got to go now it’s getting late.” Said Reshma Aunty.
“Let’s do this again at your place once you are finally settled Reshma.” Replied Mom.
“Definitely.”
While going to their home Shalini Shouted “Meet you on Sunday BYE!!”
“Sure, Bye, GOOD NIGHT!!” I replied.
“Where are you going on Sunday?” asked my sister.
‘JUST A MEETUP!!’

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments