Consequences of Ego 4

Printer-friendly version

Chapter: 4 Hardship!

{NOTE: Images and links are used only as the reference to the character in the story}

It's been 5 months since I came back from grandma's home. My school has started and it's been getting quite hard for me there. And then there is my hair which has now grown considerably longer, I think because my mom had been applying oil, hair mask & giving me hair supplements my hair has grown quite faster.

COE4.png

My sis said that they are somewhat longer than waist length now. (Because they were looking longer than hers.) Now, It takes longer to do braids and the ends of my braid kinda touch my hips. I was happy that they were growing long faster but it is getting hard to maintain them. Boy's now have been consistently teasing me. Whenever I stand in a line or forgot to put the braids on my shoulder the boys start to play with them. I didn't want anyone to worry, so I did not tell anyone about it.

SCHOOL AFTER LUNCH.

I was not feeling well so I went to the staffroom to find my class teacher...

I heard a voice...
"Rahul, what you are doing here?"

I saw the ma'am coming towards me.

I took the braids from my back and placed them on my shoulder.

Rahul: Ma'am I am not feeling well.

Ma'am: I can tell from the look on your face.

I told her I was having some mild headaches & was kinda nauseous.

Ma'am: Must be the heat, come with me.

She took me to the medical room and gave an glucose water.

Ma'am: For the time being you can rest here & if you want to you can undo the braids.

Rahul: Yeah, thank you, ma'am.

Ma'am: Take care, If you need anything you can talk with the ma'am sitting over at the desk.
She said this and left to attend her class.

I kept my bag at the side of the bed and laid down. I don't know when but I fell asleep like a log.

"Kid WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" I heard & immediately woke up and saw the ma'am next to me.

"Kid it's been past 5 PM, school's over." I looked over to the clock.

Damn, I am late, I promised mom I'll help with the cleaning today. I quickly took my bag & got out of the bed.

Ma'am: Are you feeling fine now?

Rahul: Yes ma'am. (I said while adjusting my braids.)

"Thank you I'll get going now."

I quickly exited the room & rushed towards the gate.
When I near the corner rushing towards the exit I did not pay attention and hit some boys.
I was in a rush so I quickly said..."I am very sorry." & I got up and was going my way just then one of the boys grabbed my bag and pulled me towards them.

Tall Boy: Ohh look who we got here!

Boy 2: The Boy Rapunzel of the school.

Boy 3: Why are you rushing, did you forget your skirt?

All 3 of them then started laughing.

From the looks of them, all were seniors. (Great my day just got bad to worse.) I didn't want to waste my time so I just said...

Rahul: I am very sorry, I am not feeling well, can I go?

Boy 2: From the way you were running over here, it doesn't seem that anything wrong with you.

I looked over the corridor if someone was there but it was all empty.

Tall Boy: Where are you looking, first you are not apologizing properly, & even lying to your seniors.

Boy 3: Look's like you need to be instructed on how a junior should behave.

All of them then surrounded me towards the boy's washroom.

Boy 2: So what should we do with him?

Tall Boy: Him? look at how long and girly her hair is, she is not him.

Boy 3: Yeah no she is also wearing braids like the other girls.

"I am not a girl!" I said silently.

Tall Boy: Then why are you wearing your hair this long, that too in braids?

I kept quiet.

Tall Boy: See I told you.

"I am not a GIRL!" I shouted.

Boy 2: guys get him!

Suddenly 2 of them grabbed both of my arms and pitted me towards the wall.
"Hey what are you doing!" I shouted.

Boy 2: SHHH! (While keeping a finger on his mouth.)
Now I was so scared that no words were coming out of my mouth.

He then came near me and slowly took both of my braids and placed them on my shoulder.

Boy 2: Would you look at that, her braids are reaching till her belt & she still proclaims that she is a boy.

"It's just hair, & hair doesn't have gender," I replied.

Boy 2: if it is just hair then...

He then took out the scissors from his bag and spoke

Boy 2: Then you won't mind if you lose them.

When I saw the scissors, my heartbeat increased and I started struggling.

"No, please anything but that, please don't cut them!" I protested and struggled but it was of no use.
He came near me and as soon as the scissors were near my neck, I heard a voice...

"MA'AM! STUDENTS ARE BULLYING SOMEONE IN THE BOYS' WASHROOM."

As soon as the boys heard that, the Boys ran out as soon as possible.

I was so much in shock that I fell and passed out.
After some minutes, I felt someone was spraying water on my face, so I woke up.

Rahul: WWHO? (I rubbed my eyes)

Girl: Wake up, are you ok?

Rahul: Shilpa? (I was surprised)

Shilpa: Yeah?

Rahul: THE SENIORS?

Shilpa: They ran.

I quickly stood up.

Shilpa: First, let's go find a place to sit.

She took me to the nearest bench and gave me her water bottle.

Shilpa: You ok now? What happened? I heard some noise so...

I explained to her everything from the medical room to now. After I finished explaining my situation, she hugged me and said...

Shilpa: It must have been so hard, you did well to keep them stalling.

When she said that, tears started rolling down my eyes.

Shilpa: Ohh don't cry here take this. She handed me her handkerchief.

Rahul: Ever since Akash left, the past few months have been so hard.

Shilpa: I can understand.

I then wiped my tears and said...

Rahul: I'll wash and give this to you tomorrow.

Shilpa: Don't worry keep it.

Rahul: By the way where is ma'am?

Shilpa: There is no ma'am, I just made that up to save you. (Grinning)

Rahul: That's wild!

Shilpa: But we still have to tell this to a teacher.

Rahul: But we don't have anything against them.

Shilpa: Who says that!!

She said while showing me the scissors.

Rahul: NICE!!

Shilpa: we will go after lunch break tomorrow.

Rahul: Yup.

Shilpa: It's getting late, let's go.

Both of us went out of the school and took out bicycles.

Rahul: By the way thank you very much for saving me back then.

Shilpa: I am very sorry!

I can see tears well up in her eyes.

Rahul: Why are you apologizing?

Shilpa: This all happened because of me, because of that stupid promise.

Rahul: But I am the one who accepted it, so it's not your fault.

Shilpa: Still, if you want you can cut them, I don't mind.

Rahul: Nah, I have them grown this much already & like I said before I don't ever go back on my promise. (I said while having one of the braids in my hand.)

Shilpa: Yeah, they are quite close to my length now.

She stood next to me to compare our hair lengths.

Her braids were past her belt down to her skirt.

Shilpa: looking at the speed they are growing they will probably reach your hips in the next 4-5 months.

Rahul: Yeah, my sister also said the same.

Shilpa: Looking at you properly now, I think long hair suit's your face more than your old hair.

Rahul: Everybody's saying that, but it's so hard to manage them.

Shilpa: I know haha!

Rahul: Hehe!

We both then got out of the school and started riding on the way to our homes.

Rahul: Btw, what were you doing this late?

Shilpa: I have been doing dance Practice for our upcoming event.

Rahul: Annual Event?

Shilpa: Yeah.

We talked a bit and eventually, we reached our pathways.

Shilpa: So, this is my corner. (She said while pointing towards her lane.)
She just lives two blocks away from my home.

Rahul: Ohh ok, then thank you again for today.

She nodded her head and smiled. And just as I was about to leave...

Shilpa: Hey Rahul, you know what, you should come to see us tomorrow after school in the auditorium, I'll also introduce you to my friends, that is if you are ok with it. (While playing with one of her braids.)

I was a bit surprised she asked this...

Rahul: Umm, I'll think about it.

Shilpa: Really! Ok, then I'll go Bye, Take Care!!

Rahul: Bye!

And she was gone, I too then peddled faster on my way home.
As I reached home, I was getting scared that mom will scold me, but still, I pressed the doorbell.

As soon as she opened the door, she hugged me and spoke
Mom: Are you ok Rahul? I got a call from the teacher that said you were not feeling good & it was getting late so I was worried.
Rahul: Mom calm down, I am ok now, I just slept and didn't know school was over. (I did not want to tell her about today's incident.).

Ok go get freshen up now, we will talk over dinner.

At dinner, I explained everything to her, just not the incident.
After the dinner was over, she called me and told me to sit in front of her.
I already had my hair down so she started brushing them straight...

Mom: It has grown so long, & they look so healthy. (Combing...)

Rahul: Yes, all thanks to you. (I love when my mom brushes my hair it feels so soothing.)

Mom: You know they are now longer than your sister’s, right?

(She was studying in her room.)

Rahul: Yeah, but...

Mom: I know you want to grow them even longer, but you can probably do any hairstyle you want for long hair now. (Combing them back.)

Rahul: Still, I want them as long as possible.

I was so mesmerized by her hair brushing that, I was speaking whatever was coming to me first.

Mom: You love having long hair that much? (She then started sectioning and braiding my hair.)

Remembering the conversation with Shilpa I asked my mom

Rahul: Mom, do you think long hair suits me more?

Mom: hmm, why do you ask that?

Rahul: It's just that everyone I know is been saying that long hair looks good on me.

Mom: To tell you the truth you do look like a girl because of how long and beautiful your hair has been growing...

Rahul: MOM!! (I shouted and was about to turn my head but she stopped me and continue braiding.)

COE5.png

Mom: BUT even I am shocked how good you look in this hair...so It's kinda cute, still you haven't answered the question the previous question...

Rahul: OK, I love it alright.

Mom: Haha! ok.

She then put a scrunchie at the end of the braid. As I was about to get up she said...

Mom: Rahul by looking at the speed of how your hair is growing, I think when we will next visit your grandma's house next summer, your hair will be till your thighs.

Rahul: You think so? (I said while touching the tips of my braid.)

Mom: Umm hmm (she nodded) &

Rahul: Mom it's getting late, I have to wake up for school tomorrow.

Mom: I know, I just want you to know that I & your sister will always be there for you, so if there are any problems you are facing, please tell us.

Rahul: (I smiled) I will mom, Good Night!

Mom: Good Night son!

I went to my room and then went to bed. I was looking at the ceiling thinking about my day. So much happened today. The Senior's then Shilpa! If not for her I don't know what would have happened to me. She was so different today than her usual self. She was Kind, Caring & funny too. It's true what people say about how to not judge a person without knowing them properly. Then I remember her asking me to see her dance practice. Thinking about it I fell asleep.

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry for the delay.

Tomi's picture

Everyone, I am sorry for the delay in the chapter, I have been very busy recently with my studies and work. Due to this I was not getting time to write new chapters for my stories but worry not, I'll try my best to finish all of them as soon as possible.
-Tomi