Dance, Dance, Dance: Full Moon -12-

Printer-friendly version

dancers

Dance, Dance, Dance

Full Moon

Chapter Twelve - Last Training Day

By Jo Dora Webster

How will Denise and the cheerleaders handle their last training day?

 


Chapter Twelve - Last Training Day

[Wednesday Day Eleven of the Enchantment]

I awoke refreshed and smiled at Mom who was still in her recliner in my bedroom. She must have sensed that I was awake because her eyes fluttered then opened. She smiled back at me

"Kiddo, Good morning. How do you feel?"

"I feel wonderful. I know that I should have PTSD but I was never alone, Dr. Ariel asked me to call her Ari when we were communicating telepathically. When I was getting closer to giving in or freaking out, she sent a peace that flowed over me that I could not understand. In between attacks, Ari settled me so that I went into a deep dreamless sleep. I knew that you and the group were accumulating magic from Hera in order to get through Erida's shield so you could find out where I was to rescue me."

"Kiddo, how ready do you feel for the tests this morning?"

"I feel totally prepared and calm about taking my tests."

"Denise, I am so glad to hear that. Well you will be putting that to the test, literally. How about your ability to keep up with the rest of the group of cheerleaders with no practice and just what was imputed to you by Jane Holt?"

"What I learned about the routines from Miss Holt was awesome. Not only does my brain contain all the moves but I feel like I have her muscle memory for the routines as well. We'll know when I do the routines this afternoon. I don't know any of what happened last night during my encounter with Hera. Do you remember what happened to you? I don't remember."

"No, none of us who have had an encounter with Hera remember. We are lucky that Dr. Ariel remembers everything and is Hera's avatar so she can guide us. Jane had to go back to her regular job so she took the redeye back home since you were safe and the emergency is over. You and all the other cheerleaders have me back as a coach. We'll have to work extra hard today since we have to integrate the moves for Amy into the entire routine."

"Momma I love you and everything that you have done for me especially the last few days."

"I love you too, Kiddo! I guess we both should get ready for the day. "

"Okay, Momma."

I got up and got ready for the day. I went down to the kitchen hoping to make breakfast for the two of us but Momma was already in the kitchen cooking breakfast. She was ready for the day too, already. I sat down at the table and had my traditional breakfast of oatmeal and peaches and Momma was having the same. We continued our conversation as we ate.

"Will Francine and Julie be with us taking the tests this morning? Is Dr. Ariel going to go back to teaching?"

"The three of them will be back in school starting today since the emergency is over. They are going to try to be available in the evenings while the cheerleaders are in town for you and I to join them practicing.

What about Jennifer, Alicia and Kristy, Momma?"

Jennifer and Alicia are going back to doing their jobs but will be available in the evenings as well. Chelsea will be busy with practice so we feel like Kristy will be okay to take care of the trees around her trees then come back to the shrine to sleep in the evenings."

The last three days had been filled with studies starting with the early morning then cheerleader practice until evening for the cheerleaders besides me. That left enough time for homework then to bed sleeping till morning and repeating the whole thing again.

Momma had car pool duty again so we both piled into the van and went around to the homes to pick up the cheerleaders. We went to Kendra's house first to pick Coach Nestle, Kendra's Father and Kendra up. Kendra's Father had been asked by the headmistress to proctor our tests and turn then into the school for grading. When we got there I exited the van to meet Kendra and Coach Nestle and give Kendra a hug.

Kendra spoke for her and her father, "I want you to know Denise that Daddy and I said a prayer to the Goddess for your safe return and she answered our prayer. Blessed Be!"

"Of course, Kendra! Blessed, be!"

We went to Star's house second to pick her up. When we got there I exited the van to meet Star and give her a hug.

Star told me," Denise you are awesome! You go through all that and just put it behind you so you can help win the championship! You go girl!"

I told Star, "It is my pleasure, Star!"

We went to Chelsea's house last to pick up Chelsea, Hailey and Brittany. When we got there I exited the van to meet them and give them a hug.

Chelsea blubbered saying, "Denise, I'm so sorry that I took the easy way out. I don't know where the telekinetic blocking and portal came from. I was focused on executing the dance that you had called and hoped you would be as lucky. I'm sorry that I left you alone."

I said, "Chelsea all is right between us. It would not have helped matters if you had gotten caught too. You raised the alarm early so that the Police started looking for me. The police found me and rescued me before anything permanent could happen. You are my heroine. I love you, Chelsea."

Chelsea told me, "I love you too, Denise."

Hailey asked me. "How can you be so calm and ready to take on the tests and routines, already?"

I replied, "When I was tempted to quit, I summoned some of the strength it took for me to go through being changed to female for the love of cheerleading and helping out my sisters in need. I can't let you down now."

Brittany asked me, "How do you feel about your ability to take the tests and practice with us?"

I explained. "Richard has given me notes from my classes which I studied last night along with notes from Miss Holt on the routines that she installed with you all while I was gone. I feel prepared to both take my tests and also participate in the practice today."

What I told them was true from a certain point of view. I didn't want them to know about the existence of the Hera Circle. Momma had given the cheerleaders the police's mundane view of what had happened so they did not know about the magic that had aided my escape. But they all knew about the Magic that enabled Chelsea to escape capture because that magic had been provided by Erida.

The cheerleader's all had the same six classes even if they didn't have them the same periods as I did which was fortunate. Our tests were in Algebra, Biology, Girl's PE, Women's History, Drama, Deportment. Brittany did not have to take the tests since she was an adult and had a diploma. She had a special dispensation to be the team mascot but she could not be an alternate cheerleader for competitions since she was not enrolled in our high school. She was given special permission to attend the test but she could not interfere with what Coach and Momma were doing

Kendra's father had been a very nice test proctor with us. He reported the time elapsed on each test regularly so we didn't have to be clock watching. He was strict in taking all the tests when the time elapsed but was gracious in how he treated us. The time we had in the morning had been evenly divided so that we could complete all of them. Momma was also there as a test monitor to help Coach Nestle with another pair of eyes

The number of questions on each test had been scaled accordingly so that there were the right amount of questions to be completed in each test's time. The test questions were tough but fair.

At last Coach Nestle called time on the last test which I had completed moments before and was checking my answers. I felt like I had aced all six tests. Around me all the rest of us five cheerleaders were showing spirit as well. Coach Nestle called a break after he had collected all the tests so that gave us a chance to celebrate. It just so happened that the cheer that Hailey called pitted us five cheerleaders against the three adults.

Hailey shouted, "Got Spirit! Hit it!"

We five shouted in unison, "We've got spirit yes we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you? " We all pointed to the three adults

The three shouted in unison, "We've got spirit yes we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you? " They pointed at us!

We five shouted in unison, "We've got spirit yes we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you? " We all pointed to the three adults

The three shouted in unison, "We've got spirit yes we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you? " They pointed at us!

We five shouted in unison, "We've got more! We've got more! We've got more! " And we finished off both the cheer and the adults.

We all laughed and giggled at the adult's attempt to out do us. We had won fair and square!

Coach Nestle left us with the tests leaving us to move from the stage where the testing had taken place with tables and chairs for each of us, into the gym proper with its basket ball flooring which had been covered in tumbling mats for us to practice. We started warming up with stretches and progressed to calisthenics and finally to running around the gym and finally to running the bleachers. Our stamina had been much improved since Coach Momma had taken over and none of us were winded.

Nevertheless Momma gave us a break before working on our routines. We executed our routines in the order that we would do them for the competition. The only exception is that Coach had pulled our "About Face" routine and left it to execute last. We worked on including the mascot routines among our other routines as planned and that worked out perfectly.

All of the other routines I did without any errors but this last one was putting me to the test. I had hopes that I could do this one without help so I did not call on either Ari or Hera for help. That was my greatest mistake. The time had come.

Hailey called out, "About face! Hit it!"

Instead of taking off on the beat like Chelsea had done, flashbacks of all the horrors that I had endured overwhelmed me. Instead, I dropped to the mat and curled up in the fetal position. Coach kept all the girls back from comforting me until she had put her hand out to touch me and I responded to her touch and reverted to normal and sat up on the mat. Coach let the girls in and they engulfed me in a big group hug. I felt the love and that love was real. Somehow I was going to have to overcome this so I would not let the other girls down in the competition. Somehow I would have to find a way to sever the tie that bonded each of them to Erida and save them.

Coach called practice for the day after having the rest of the girls cool down. I sat in the bleachers and watched them go through the cool down exercises. Momma sat down next to me and hugged me. When she was satisfied that I had recovered we all loaded up in the van for the trip to each of the girl's houses and then home. Once we got home, Momma sat me down on the couch next to her.

"Kiddo, you were doing so well. You did better than anyone had a right to expect of you after the trauma you endured. What happened?"

"Momma, I was overconfident. I had succeeded in so much but it was all with either Ari's or Hera's help. I didn't call on either of them for that last dance. All that trauma flooded in and overwhelmed me. I had no choice but to ball up in the fetal position to try to protect myself from the assault on me. I know better now. I can do it with Hera's help but not in my strength alone."

"Kiddo, I raised a wise young woman. For the dress rehearsal tomorrow I will put the routine back in the middle like it is supposed to be. If you have a repeat then I will just pull it from the competition. It's a high score adding routine showing off yours and Hailey's superior tumbling skills with Amy antics thrown in to cover your getting set up for the tumbling run. If we have to do without it we'll just have to hope for the best. You are my concern. We'll have to get you some PTSD counseling so that you can cope with flashbacks if they ever come again."

"You are right Momma! Thank you for always looking out for me. Now that I know what is needed, I'll ask for help. I don't want to let the other girls down. I want to win the competition too!"

Kiddo, I know it is early but you have had a long and rough day. Why don't you take a nice soak in the tub, get ready for bed and try to get some sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a full day with the commuter flight from here to Atlanta then the Southwest flight from Atlanta to Denver for the competition. Set your alarm for 4:00 AM. We are going to have another long day.

I set my alarm then I had my soak in the tub and did my evening personal chores and put on my favorite nightgown and went to bed. Before trying to go to sleep I started a new routine of praying to and praising Hera to bless my sleep and everything that I was to do on Thursday and when I finished , I immediately fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Three more chapters to go

Greetings,

Only three more chapters to go before the exciting conclusion of Dance, Dance, Dance: Full Moon. I'm working on something else which will be slower posting but may have more chapters to completion and contain a cross over with Dance, Dance, Dance: New Moon which hasn't been written yet. Lots to do and so little time to do it in. I hope that you will come on this journey with me.

Jo Dora Webster