A true story from my Daughter.

Printer-friendly version
A true story from my Daughter.

Not too long ago I was told a story by my daughter Ohmie. At the time she was serving as a Recruiter for the US Army. She was station in Morningside Heights neighborhood of New York city. The story concerns two families and tradition held on Veterans' Day.


According to the story this all started on a cold November morning in 1949. A young man was walking down the streets of New York when he stopped to help an older man. The younger man was in his late 20’s while the older man was in his early 30’s. After helping the older man he offered to reward his younger counterpart with a cup of coffee.

As they drank their coffee the two talked. They had known each other during the Second World War. They were part of the same tank crew. They share the stories of their lives fallowing VE day. After they were done both thanked each other and agreed to meet back at the dinner in one year.

For the next ten years the two men would meet for coffee. At the same time in the same place. They would always share a cup of coffee and tell each other about how their year went. After paying for their coffee they would thank each other and go about their business. Then one year all that changed. In the eleventh year the old man brought his son to their meeting. Seven years later the young man brought his son. The four would share a cup of coffee then thank each other before going their way. Just to meet up at the dinner one year later at the same time.

Over the years the coffeeshop owner and his family noticed the yearly meeting of the foursome. They came to know the four and learn their story. Even after the original owner passed away the family-owned dinner continued to host the two families once a year. As time wore on the foursome grew in size with the coming of each generation. Every year they welcomed the two families with open arms as they entered the dinner.

By the time the first of them had passed on in December of 1998 he was 75. He died quietly in a hospital surrounded by his family. The two families gathered together for the first time outside of their yearly gathering. In 2012 the second of the original members died quietly in his bed at home. He was 90 years old and one of the last of his generation. The two families came together for the second time outside of their yearly November gathering.

While the family of the dinner's owner welcomed the two families every year. They never really knew what kind of bond they shared. It remained a secret until November 2016. It was during the year gathering. The youngest member of the owner’s family, a 17 girl, who was waiting tables who was graced with their secret. Not by one of the family members but a Recruiting Sergeant. The young Sergeant was sitting at the counter when the two families entered the dinner.

When the waitress heard him chuckling, she asked him what was so funny. The Sergeant pointed at the ten men all wearing black ballcaps and olive drab tanker jackets. “Young lady I’ll give you a ten spot that you’ll never find another two families of tankers anywhere.”

“What are tankers, Sergeant?” The young waitress asked.

“You could say that they’re the knights of the modern battlefield. See that pin they all wear on their hats?” He asked her. When she nodded her head yes, he went onto explain what that pin meant.

“That gold desk holds a U.S. M26 Pershing tank superimposed over two crossed sabers. The sabers are a tribute to the branch’s historical ties to the Calvary. The tank marks them as members of the Tank Corps. You won’t find a tighter group of men anywhere in the military. Each tank crew consists of a driver, gunner, louder, and tank commander. Those men live together, train together, fight together, and sometimes they die together.” The Sergeant told her honestly. “To see four generations of tankers together in one place is an amazing thing. Do me a favor and put their bill on my tab.”

“Sorry Sergeant, but your money is no good here. Not today anyway.” The young waitress told him with a smile as she pushed his money back and refilled his coffee cup. With a smile she gave him a wink. “Around here we remember who paid for our freedom. Thank you for your service. Happy Veterans’ Day.”

As he stood up to leave the Sergeant taped his collar insignia as he passed the two families. With a proud smile he shouted. “Forge the Thunderbolt!”

“Steel Commanders Lead the Way!” The youngest members shouted in return.

-----PS-----

This story is dedicated to the men and now women of the US Armor Corps. To all my fellow Veterans out there. I wish you a happy Veterans’ Day. Raise your glasses high! To our fallen brothers and sisters. You are gone but not forgotten! Hand Salute!

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A fitting story of the day.

A fitting story for the day. God bless all those who gave their all for duty, honor, and country.

To All Who Gave

BarbieLee's picture

We loose some in those hellacious wars we always seemed to be involved in. We lose more who come home after leaving a part of themself behind. There are those who return but never came home. Each war is to end all wars and none of them do. More tyrants rise after the last one is finished. They send young men and women to do their bidding and die because like Satan, they want the world as theirs. As there was Cain and Able, as long as there are humans who lust after what other's own. There will be wars, some small, some large.
May God grant peace to all our brothers and sisters who gave and those who gave the ultimate gift. World peace will happen when evil is vanquished. Because evil will never give up it's lust and desire for what it can never have. The price of Freedom is paid in blood.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Veteran’s Day

To all the Veterans here no matter what Country you served in and to those still serving. Thank you for the freedom your service has given us. May we never forget the cost of FREEDOM

WhiteBull1

Thank you

It's good to be reminded that those who risked their lives for our freedom deserve our thanks and respect.

Rememberance

jacquimac's picture

It's good to see a Country that remembers the sacrifice they're armed forces give in the duty to they're People. Unfortunately here in the UK they only pay lip service on the Sunday nearest the 11/11 .At the moment Some government employess are demanding massive pay rises from 10 to 15 % , yet if they are lucky the Armed Forces might get 1 or 2 % and more cut backs on Defence.
It's sad that in the UK the people couldn't give a damn for the people who are willing to fight and die for they're Freedoms.
Tomorrow is Remember Day and I will go to the Big Area War memorial in Saddleworth called "Pot's and Pans" , and remember the men I served with who gave everything in the name of Freedom and all those who died over the centuries for this pathetic country.

Remembrance Day

WillowD's picture

Or Veterans Day for those of you south of the border.

I suddenly realized that I hadn't spotted a Veteran's Day story by WolfJess7. Usually I remember to look forward to it. (My memory's been getting a little worse each year.) So I looked and, sure enough, here it is. And this is one of her best yet.

And, as usual, I will probably start reading her other Veteran's Day stories in a few minutes. Possibly followed by a binge read of many of her stories. WolfJess7 is an awesome writer.

Edit: After re-reading a number of her short stories I'm re-reading Interview With A Lolita. I would have loved to see another 10 or 50 chapters of those stories published, but that's life. At least what got published is awesomely good. Thank you WolfJess for writing it.

I normally mark this types of stories.

wolfjess7's picture

Hi Willow.

Normally I would have marked this a Veteran's Day story. But it was not my to tell. Only to share. As I said at the beginning of the story my oldest daughter told me this story. While it may seem to be a fictional story it is actually true.

Thank you for the praise for my writing skills.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf