The Elven Question- chp 1

Printer-friendly version


The Elven Question


Queen Dana of Highwinds the Elf Kingdom inside the Empire has a problem. One that she cannot fix personally. The problem is with a small minority of her population. A problem that has been brought to her attention by the half elf son of a problematic Duke. What is a Queen to do? She calls on help from a friend. The question now is does she realize what she is letting loose on her kingdom?


Chapter 1
Dropship Northern Cross, Planet Highwinds
Command Deck

Captain Stephon Townson could not believe what he was dealing with. Seven days of continuous Hyperspace transit without problems. All the way from New Port Station in the Secret Grove Sector to the Kingdom of Highwinds. That is until now. Standing there before him, on his command deck, was the embodiment of that problem. A problem that would have far reaching consequences for him and his crew. Never in his wildest dreams would he believe that his ship could be boarded by a stowaway.

“Well, boy, how did you get aboard my ship?” Stephon growled. When the boy didn’t answer him, Stephon pounded on the arm of his command chair. “ANSWER ME BOY! NOW!”

This time the boy looked the captain in the eye. “I demand a blood trial of my peers. It is my right as a free citizen of Highwinds.”

“That is where you’re wrong boy. The only trial you are entitled to is a Captain’s Mast boy. This is not some planetary courtroom, but a ship under full sail. Do you understand what that means?” Stephon snarled.

The young man just nodded his head then smiled. “The ship may be under full sail captain, but we are now within the legal territory of Highwinds. That means I am now under elven law. That also means by Empyreal Law you have to turn me over to the highest authority on the planet’s surface.”

Turning to the ship’s XO Stephon asked. “XO, is what the boy saying true?”

“Sorry sir, but the brat is correct. If we don’t turn him over to the Starport Security to face civilian authority the Kingdom of Highwinds can impound the Northern Cross. It’s as simple as that.”

“How long until we make port?” the Captain snarled.

“Two hours, forty minutes to port, sir.” The ship’s XO answered.

“Then throw this stowaway in the brig. Notify Starport Security. Let them know that we have stowaway. Planet of origin is New Port Station. Race is half-elf.” Looking back at the boy, Stephon gave him a feral grin. “You should have just stuck with the Captain’s Mast, boy.”

As the security guards were leading the boy off the bridge, he looked back over his shoulder asking. “Why do you say that Captain?”

“Because the only thing the Elves hate more than Wingnuts is half breeds.” There was no mercy in the captain’s voice. Just pure logic. He knew that his hands were tied by Elven law, but that didn’t mean he had to show mercy for the boy. After all, the boy had stowed away on his ship.

“Captain, I know that it is not my place. But we can still space the brat.” The XO said from his station.

“No, we can’t Number One. That little shit tied our hands when he let himself be found. He knew exactly what he was doing. I just hope that his plans don’t come back to bite him in the ass. Right along with getting us into the shit.” The captain sighed. “He just had to go and ask for a fracking tail by blood.”

“Just what does that have to do with anything sir?” The ship’s navigator asked. “I mean why does that change things?”

“Because only those of Noble blood can ask for a Blood Trail.” The captain left the unsaid implications in the air. “That stowaway may not have given me his name, but I didn’t need it.”

“How’s that sir? Isn’t he just another half-bred?” The XO asked.

“That boy is no ordinary half-bred. He’s the illegitimate and youngest son of Duke Davon Starfire. That boy is the future leader the Starfire Clan.” The captain snarled. “What I want to know is how the frack did that boy get aboard our ship damn it!”

“I’ve been going over the video surveillance logs sir. The only way that boy could have gotten on broad unnoticed is in one of the live cargo containers.” The Security Officer of the Northern Cross answered.

“If that is the case. Find that fracking container. Right now, I want a full search of this ship. Go deck by deck, room by room. If there are any more stowaways, I want them found. Am I understood Mister Cook?” The captain ordered. The Security Officer just nodded his head and left the bridge to find the answers for his captain.

Looking over at his Comms Officer. “Mister Terral contact Spaceport Command. Declare a full diplomatic emergency landing. Helm get us down as fast as you can. Engineering melt down the fracking reactors down if you have to. Before you bitch. I don’t care about your bearings.”

His orders were met with a round of ‘aye, aye, captains’ as each person carried out their orders. The captain sat back as his ship surged forward towards Spaceport and Highwinds. He knew that once he set down all hell would breakout on the tarmac.

Cell #1 Security Deck

Markus Starfire leaned back against the wall of his cell and sighed. He knew that his gamble was paying off. His timing had been prefect so far. He just needed to reach the surface in one piece now. If the captain decided to go ahead and space him. Then everything he done until now would have been for nothing. He had to reach Highwinds and face his aunt.

The two security offers that escorted him to the brig hadn’t said one word to him the whole time. Looking up at the ship’s clock on the wall Markus knew that he had 2 hours, and 15 minutes until he could enacted the final part of his plan. Unless the captain declared emergency landing protocols. Then it would drop to just over 30 minutes. Then all of a sudden, he felt the dropship surge. This brought a smile to his face.

“Finally, he made the right choice. I hoped that the captain didn’t want to deal with an International Incident.” Markus smiled. “I just have to get those fools in the Spaceport Security to hand me over to the Crown.”

After answering a call from the bridge one of his guards looked over at Markus. “Boy I don’t know what all you did to piss the captain off, but you better pray he just turns you over to the Spaceport Cops.”

“He has to turn me over to them. I already requested a Trail by Blood. He cannot deny me my lawful rights. Even here in the Kingdom of Highwinds. Your captain still has to follow the Laws of the Empire.” Markus smirked.

“That’s where you’re wrong youngster. The Captain can still demand you face a Captain’s Mast. He just has to put the request before the Spaceport Security Commander.” The guard chuckled. “Seeing as they’re old friends. You might want to start making your peace with your maker.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, officer. But as much as your captain would love for that to happen. He’ll still have to turn me over to the Spaceport Security Office. Trust me. Your captain wants me off his hands as fast as possible.” Markus told the two men with a smile.

“Yeah, and why’s that?” The second guard questioned.

“He doesn’t want the political nightmare that I represent on his hands. I’ll give you even odds that he throws me off the ship, personally.” Markus told them both. “Besides, haven’t you two noticed that the ship has picked up speed? We’re on a fast burn for the surface.”

“Shit! Joey the kids right. The XO just called down to inform us to have the kid ready for immediate turnover once we touch down.” The first guard told the other. “The XO said something about a diplomate handoff.”

“Hey kid you some kind of Noble?” The second guard asked quickly.

“You could say that. If everything goes the way that it should you’ll find out once we’re down.” Markus told them both. All the while he was counting on the reactions of the Security Officers for the Spaceport.

Golden Light Spaceport, Planet Highwinds
Spaceport Landing Field

Security Chief Red Lightfoot stepped out of his hovercar at the foot of the boarding to the Northern Cross. Looking over his senior Officer. “Alright Oakmont, what the frack is going on? Why the hell are we out here in the middle of the day’s heat?”

“Sir, the Northern Cross called in a Diplomatic Emergency Landing. They have a stowaway on broad with ties to the Duke for the Starfire clan. That’s what the frack is going on boss.” The second Oakmont said DEL and Starfire Clan, Red Lightfoot knew that he had a major problem on his hand.

They had already received warnings that the Duke’s illegitimate son had disappeared from Tempest March. They had been on the lookout for the boy for the last two weeks. That the Northern Cross was carrying the boy didn’t bowed well for him and his men. If they really did have Markus Starfire in one of their holding cells, then his day just went to shit. Reaching back inside the hovercar he grabbed his tablet. “Did they at least forward a file?”

“It should be on your tablet Chief.” Oakmont sighed. “And I can tell you now that you’re not going to like what you see.”

“Just tell me, Oakmont.” Lightfoot ordered.

“It’s him sir. It’s the Starfire boy.” Oakmont told his superior sadly.

“Somebody contact the Palace. NOW!” Lightfoot screamed as he looked up the ramp at the young man being marched out by the ship’s security officers. It only took Lightfoot one look to know that his day was ruined. With that order out of the way Lightfoot walked over to the ramp.

“You Chief Lightfoot?” The ship’s Security Officer asked.

“This the stowaway?” Lightfoot asked in return. The Security Officer just held out a tablet for Lightfoot to sign. After signing the table, the Security Officer took off the cuffs. Lightfoot had one of his men put a new set of cuffs on the boy. “Put him in the back of my car, Oakmont.”

Lightfoot wasn’t surprised when the boy just followed orders and offered no resistance. Once Lightfoot was behind the wheel of the hovercar the boy finally said something. “I have requested a trail by blood Officer.”

Those words were all that Lightfoot needed to hear. “I need for you to tell me your name before I pass that up the chain young man.”

The boy sighed and nodded his head. “Markus Aurelius Starfire. Son of Davon Stephen Starfire. First Grand Duke of the Starfire Clan. Current Marquess of Tempest March. Last of the Hellfire Dynasty.”

Lightfoot had one thought run through his head. One that he voiced. “Aw shit! Can this day get any fracking worse?”

“Wait until the Viceroy shows up.” Markus smirked.

Security Office for the Spaceport.

Viceroy Tavian Tinman walked through the doors of the Spaceport Security Office with all the authority that his office bestowed upon him. “Where is the Duke’s son, Commander?”

“He’s sitting in a holding cell your Excellency. If you’ll give me a few minutes I’ll have him out here before you.” Lightfoot suggested.

“No need. I’ll see him where he is now.” Tinman ordered.

Lightfoot just nodded his head and led Tinman towards the holding cells. Once there the Viceroy took one look at Markus. “Let him out, Commander. I’ll take him off your hands. This is one situation that has to be taken before the Queen.” Looking over at Markus. “You really screwed the nighthawk this time Markus. Do you realize that this time you will have to face our beloved Queen and the War Prince?”

“I fracking hope so, Lord Viceroy. I’m sick and tired of having my requests to join the Children of the Stars turned down.” Markus snapped.

Tinman just sighed. He had heard about the requests of young Markus to join the Elven Death Dealers. He wasn’t even allowed to join the regular military. All because of his half-bred heritage. Something that had caused Markus more than a few problems. Problems that the Viceroy had to deal with because of his father, the Duke.

“Markus you know that they’ll never let you join the military. Especially your father.” Tinman told his young charge.

“If he won’t let me join and seeing as how the Military High Command has seen fit to deny all my requests for a waiver. I have no choice other than a direct appeal to Her Majesty.” Markus snarled. “YOU’RE THE ONE WHO FORCED MY HAND IN THIS!”

Lightfoot knew that what he was hearing was way above his paygrade. This was the business of Nobles. Not for the likes of a common Yeoman such as himself. His mother had taught him all the Courtly niceties in his youth. He just never had the chance to use them. He also had no desire to either.

“My Lords, if you would please take this elsewhere?” At their blank looks Lightfoot just shook his head. “This is neither the time nor the place for what appears to be an extremely personal problem. In short not in my fracking office. Now get the frack out and take your business with you!”

“Watch your tongue commoner!” The Viceroy snapped only to have the holding cell guard point his rifle at him.

“Viceroy, you may be the voice of the Queen.” The guard snarled. “But here, we are the ones who give the orders.”

“Control your men Commander.” The Viceroy ordered. Only to get a lopsided grin in return. The meaning was clear. “Fine, we’ll take our business elsewhere. Though I do suggest that you update the training of your men. I would include a course in manners.”

“Viceroy, that is one of my men being polite. If he wanted to be rude, he would have shot you in the ass first. Then ordered you to leave.” Lightfoot chuckled. “Trust me on this. Now take your change and leave.”

Viceroy Tinman knew that he had been out maneuvered. “Come along Markus. I don’t think the Security Officers wants to play with us anymore.”

Markus just chuckled. “I believe that they haven’t wanted to play with us for some time now, Viceroy. Then again, you do have to deliver me to our Queen for judgement. As is my right.”

The Viceroy just sighed. He knew that he was beaten. There was only one option left open to him. The young man had forced his hand. With nothing left to do, he escorted Markus from the Security Office. Once outside he helped the young man into the waiting Sd-Kfz-223 Leichter Panzerspähwagen armored transport. The 223 was a fast light armored recon car that punches way above its weight class. It was also one of the newest armored recon vehicles from Horch Auto Union on Neo Deutschland.

Markus looked over at Tinman once they were seated in the passenger compartment of the 223. “Okay Uncle. Just how fracked up is the situation?”

“Damn it Markus. Do you have any idea of just how bad you’ve screwed the pooch? No let me rephase that. Do you understand how deep in the shit you are right fracking now?” Tinman yelled. “Why couldn’t you just accept the way things are? Do you understand that you have managed to destroy everything that I and your mother have worked for over the last eighteen years? If you had just waited four more years.”

“WHY?!” Markus demanded. “For the eighteen years you and my mother have told me exactly jack shit. Other than lie after fracking lie. It took me breaking into the Hall of Records back home to find out who my father is.”

“Damn it Markus! We did that for your benefit. To protect you. Do you know just how dangerous it is for you?” Tinman was practically demanding.

“How the frack should I know? All I’ve ever gotten out of you or her is the standard line about it not being the time. You’ve told me to wait until my twenty-first birthday.” Markus snapped. “Well guess fracking what? I’m done waiting for you to give me the answers. If you won’t give me those answers then I’ll get them myself. If I have to beat the shit out of everyone around me to get them. That includes the Queen.”

“Damn it boy. Do you even understand the situation you have placed yourself in here? Your demand for a Trail by Blood has placed you in direct conflict with the Crown. Do you even understand what that means?” Tinman questioned him. “Let me give you an idea of whom you will face. The War Prince himself, Raygel Ravenswood. The man is over a hundred years old and has never lost in signal combat. That isn’t even the main event. Before you face him, you have to go through the enter Royal Command Lance first. Between them all they have more than five-hundred years of combat behind them. Are you starting to get the fracking picture yet?”

“Oh, I knew that already uncle. Either I get the answers I want, or I die trying. It’s that simple. I know that I don’t stand a chance in hell. But you know something. I don’t fracking care.” Markus answered his uncle. “What I do know is that before the Trail begins the Court has to hear my grievances. That means I will get the answers. I may not be able to do anything with them, but I’ll still have them.”

“That you will nephew. Even if you’re not yet ready for those answers.” Tinman got a funny look on his face. “What would you do if the Queen grants your request to join the Death Dealer Divisions?”

“I’ll happily serve in obscurity, uncle. Just as all the other military do. It is the only thing I have ever wanted, uncle.” Markus had to fight to keep the whine out of his voice. “Why has mom and every other asshole fought to keep me from serving? What’s the big fracking deal?”

This time Viceroy Tinman knew that he had to finally answer his nephew. “Your father is a damned Duke. Nobility. Don’t you get it?”

“No, I don’t, uncle. And frankly I don’t fracking care. The cocksucker hasn’t ever been in my life. Why would he even care if I was in the military? It’s not like the people of his Duchy are going to accept a half-elf as their next lord. This way I can at least serve the greater good.” Markus answered.

As the two men talked the Sd-kfv-223 rumbled through the city. It didn’t take long before the armored car reached the highway towards the Royal City. Markus sat back and smiled at his uncle as his words hit home. He knew that the Sylvan Elf couldn’t argue the point. “Like I said uncle. One way or the other I will get my answers.”

“That you will nephew. That you well.” Tinman sighed. “The only question I have is are you ready for those answers.”

The two men sat back as the armored car rumbled into the night. It would take the armored car the rest of the day and part of the night to reach Evendale, the Royal City. The City of Emerald Light. The Eternal Tree of Power. The Seat of Power for the Kingdom of Highwinds. The one place that Markus wanted to be more than anywhere else in the universe. The place where the best of the best stood guard for the Queen.

The Royal Place, next morning.

The Sd-Kfz-223 rolled through the night nonstop. The Royal banners and crest of House Silverleaf cleared more than one lane of traffic or stop light. Then there was the fact that the 40mm PPL mounted in the 223’s turret posed a clear and ever present threat. One that no one in their right mind dared to overlook. Not that it mattered. There was the always present convoy guards to ensure that the 223 traveled unmolested.

The twelve member Land Warrior Power armor team stood out from all other Land Warrior units for two very disturbing reasons to the elves of Highwinds. The first of these two reasons was the simple fact that all twelve were human. They had been gathered from all over the Human Empire to form the core of the Queen’s personal bodyguard unit. Not surprising when the first members of the team were a full blooded Walkatonie and Doreen V males. The two men were deadly without their Land Warrior armor and fiercely loyal to the Queen of Highwinds. The rest of the bodyguard unit had been drawn from the deadliest mercenaries in the Human Empire.

The second reason was their unit paint schemes for their armor. Each Land Warrior suit was painted sold black with the exception of their helmets. Those were painted bone white with a skull’s face. On their right breast was the insignia of their old mercenary units. On the left breast was the Royal Crest of the Ravenswood family. The unit’s official designation was 1st Recon Platoon, Alpha Company, 1st of the 77th Light Armor Infantry Regiment. To the rest of the universe, they were the Queen’s Blades.

“Tell me something love. Are you going to let Markus’s challenge stand?” Prince Raygel asked of his wife.

“As much as I would love to dismiss his challenge I can’t. By Royal Law he has the right to a trail by combat.” Queen Dana Silverleaf sighed as she looked out the window. “I should’ve handled this matter differently.”

“No Dana. You are not the one at fault here. The blame lies solely with my fool of a cousin. The man is a worthless womanizer of epic proportions. If he wasn’t a Sylvan Elf he would have been executed by my mother. The man is a true bastard in every sense of the word. If the Empress Maiha were here. She would just grant the boy his request and bestow a knighthood upon him. Just to piss off the rest of the court.” Raygel chuckled.

“I can see her do that just to get a laugh at those stuff shirted assholes.” Dana cackled as she thought about her friend and mentor before sighing. “I wish she were here right now. I could really use some advice on how to deal with this whole fracked up situation.”

“You can always contract her by FLT link. We have more than enough time love. If push comes to shove we can post pone the trail by a few hours.” Raygel said trying to comfort his wife of thirty years.

“This is our problem Raygel. We will not seek the advice of the Dowager Empress. I have to deal with this and not pass the buck.” Dana grunted. “What I want to know is what forced Markus to seek a Trail by Blood?”

“He has repeatedly requested to join the Children of the Stars. Each time those requests have been rejected by Military High Command. Even his requests to join the local PDF have been rejected. If Markus’ father wasn’t Duke Davon Starfire I would have happily taken him as a member of my War Divisions.” Raygel told her as if that explained the situation.

“Okay what the frack does that have to do with the price of tea on Hades?” Dana snapped as she gave him a confused look. “Why should it matter who his gods be damned father is?”

“The Starfire clan is a traditionalist clan. They live on and own one of the few nature preserve planets. As such they are reject all forms of modern life with the exception of medical science, and spacefaring travel. If they were ever to be invaded. They would be unable to defend themselves. The most advanced weapons they have are long bows. They don’t even believe in composite metals. They’ll only use steel and iron for their handheld weapons and armor. Basically, the Starfire clan is nothing more than a Medieval and Naturalist society.” Raygel answered her bluntly.

“Okay let me see if I got this straight. The illegitimate son of a Duke who has no claim to the Duchy wants to join our modern military. Yet because his father’s people don’t believe in using anything more advanced than Medieval weapons. He is being told that he can’t because it violates some stupid fundamentalist ideology that he himself doesn’t fallow?” Dana asked sadly. Raygel just nodded his head sadly. “Oh, for the love of god!”

“That isn’t the truly screwed up part yet.” Raygel told her as they pulled to a stop at the back entrance to the Royal Palace. At the blank look Dana gave him Raygel cringed. “The reason for their attitude is their galactic location. Their home planet of Evergreen Four is dead center in the heart of the Highwinds Kingdom. They’re the religious center for our nation.”

“Ah shit.” Dana sighed as she put her head in her hands. “When were you going to let me in on this fundamental fact of our nation’s people? I’m the gods be damned Queen for frack’s sake here Raygel.”

“Oh, I haven’t even told you the good part yet.” Raygel chuckled at his wife’s distress over learning about the Starfire clan. “They can’t stand half elves. To them half elf, half human children are a sin before the eyes of their gods. In other words, Markus should never have been born.”

“Hold on a second here Raygel. Are you telling me that just because Markus is a half elf. That his own people want him dead. Let alone in the military.” Dana asked him is disbelief.

“In more ways than one. To them Markus Starfire is more than just a stain on their prefect pure blood heritage. Hell in the eyes of most of our military High Command half elves aren’t fit to be cannon fodder.” Raygel grunted with true disgust for their military commanders. “The real kick in the ass is our recruiters turn away half elves before they ever get the chance to enlist.”

“Wait a damned minute! Did I or didn’t I put a ban on that kind of shit in our military?” Dana snarled.

“You did but try as hard as we might. We just can’t rid ourselves of religious or racist bigotry in our military ranks. Until we can rid ourselves of the hardliners in our military high command. We’ll have to deal with the bigotry and racism.” Raygel told her honestly.

“I see what you’re getting at. As much as I want to I can’t just fire the assholes in charge of the military.” Dana sighed. “Not if I want to keep the loyalty of the lower officers. Gods be damned interracial rivalries. Tell me something Raygel. Why is it that the divisions of Tatiana’s Children don’t have these fracked up problems?”

“Simple. Tatiana’s Children of the Stars are our only Death Dealer divisions. Since the time of their very formation. They have only ever taken the one percent of our military into their ranks. Once an elf has been accepted into their ranks. They go out of their way to breakdown all of the old race hatreds. After that the Death Dealers build them back up as a part of their Elven Clan.” Raygel explained the way the Death Dealer divisions work. “That’s what Tatiana’s Children of the Stars are in truth. An Elven Clan made from seventy-two of the deadliest Death Dealer Divisions anywhere.”

“I’ll give you that Raygel. Only the Death Dealers of the Empyreal Guard are better.” Dana sighed as she looked out the window towards the palace.

“There is one exception to that statement love. The meanest of the meanest, the badest of the bad, the crazy of the craziest, the truly deadliest of the deadly, are the men and women of the Long Range Search and Destroy teams from the Special Forces for the Empire’s Death Dealers. People like James J. Owens Senor, First High Lord of the Death Dealers, and these new heroes of the Empire. Chief Warrant Officer Robert Wolff and his Fallen Angles.” The War Prince of Highwinds knew what he was talking about and hoped to give his wife the Queen some inspiration for solving the current political nightmare that Markus Starfire dropped into their Royal laps. “Never forget my Queen. That there will always be the one percent of the one percent.”

“I didn’t forget about them. No one in their right damned mind could forget about those crazy bastards. I swear if I didn’t know better I would call them a bunch of ruddy damned hoodlums.” Dana chuckled. “Then again we’ve met more than our fair share of those teams. Though that doesn’t give me answer for what I’m going to do with Markus. He has an honest bitch. Damn it Raygel! You’re in charge of our military. Why have you enforced our laws against discrimination amongst our military?”

“Dana I only command the Royal and War Prince divisions of our military. The regular military is controlled by the old guard. Men that we cannot just dismiss. As much as you and I would love to fire them out of a railgun.” Raygel chuckled as Dana stuck her tongue out at him.

“Wait a minute love you just gave me an idea. How many half elves are there in the Capital right now?” Dana asked sweetly.

“If I were to guess. I would say that there is between seven-hundred-and-fifty and a thousand. Though if you want exact numbers you would have to consult the census bureau.” Raygel answered her then lower his voice slightly. “Most of them though can be found among the street gangs. Why?”

“Perfect. Time for history to repeat itself.” Dana chuckled as they pulled to a stop at the front entrance to the palace. As they exited the armored transport Dana turned the first guard she saw. “Centurion when young Markus Starfire arrives. Place him in the palace holding cells.” Turning to the guard next to him. “Guard I need to send a privet message to Hades Prime. Fetch me someone from the com-shack.”

“Yes my Queen.” The men responded with a salute.

“Just what are you up to Dana?” Raygel whispered as they entered the palace.

“A long time ago Queen Tatiana had a problem with her War Prince Divisions. When she couldn’t fix the problem herself. Queen Tatiana sought help from an unusual source within the Human Empire. The Emperor sent her the most decorate, respected, and feared of his Death Dealers. A man that even Death Dealers and his enemies called Death.” Dana snickered as she gave voice to her plan. “We have three problems with the same solution. A man that even now as we speak is both feared and respected by both friends and enemies alike. A man’s whose legend has only just begun the Ripper of Whitechapel.”

Dana Silver Leaf, High Queen for the Kingdom of Highwinds, first of her line, War Priestess for Goddess Sehanine Moonbow could have said anything else and Raygel wouldn’t have been surprised. Her plan for using a Special Forces Death Dealer to train a new Death Dealer unit was totally unexpected and totally off the damned wall. Then again it was just like her to come up with a hairbrained idea like this. One that had every chance of working. Only if they had the right people for the job. They needed someone who had already turned street gangs into an army. The plan was so absurd that the hardliners would be jumping at the chance to use half elves as members of the new unit.

The Royal Battle Platform Ryuk, Far Cry System

Emperor James Nakatoma looked out the view port of the dorsal observation dome in quiet contemplation. He was still trying to understand the request from the Queen of Highwinds. “Why in the name of hell would she want an Empyreal Death Dealer? She has own Death Dealers. Some of the best there are anywhere in the Empire.”

“Was that question direct towards me my Emperor?” Ryuk asked him kindly.

“No old friend. Just talking to myself. I’m just trying to fathom the mind of Queen Dana.” James answered the ancient battle platform AI.

“In the words of your mother. ‘Never try to understand a woman’s mind. They’ll drive you crazy.” Ryuk’s delivery was prefect and had the desired result as James chuckled. “As for answer to the question James. Might I offer a possible reasoning?”

“If you have an idea for why Queen Dana would need one of our Death Dealers I’m all ears.” James answered bluntly.

“There is an attitude prevails among the regular military of the elven races. This attitude is extremely prejudiced towards all of their half elf citizens. It is felt that these individuals have no place among their society. There is also the religious belief that half elves are a stain on the blood purity of the elven races. This is the way of the elves.”

“I see. But that still does explain why Queen Dana wants an Empyreal Death Dealer Ryuk. Why doesn’t she just one of her own?” James almost snarled.

“Because she needs an unconventional Death Dealer. She needs a Special Forces Death Dealer. One who can turn a ragtag group of misfits into a truly deadly military force. One that can put an end to the lie that has been keeping their half elf population from serving.”

“Ryuk do a quick search of the half elf population on Highwinds. Restrict the search to police records of street gangs.” James smiled as he called out his order. If what he expected was even halfway true. Then he had the prefect Death Dealer and Special Operations team to send.

“At present there three-hundred-ninety-six known gang members of half elf decent on Highwinds, James. Though that is only the gangs in the capital city. If I expand the search to include the rest of the planet that number reaches a total of seven-hundred-eighty-five. Of those thirty-five are Sylvain half elves and the leaders of the gangs on Highwinds.”

“Even among the misfits they still hold the Sylvain elves above the rest.” James chuckled as he looked out the dome. “Ryuk I need you to send a message to my grandmother and mother. Inform them of the situation within the Highwinds Kingdom. Also send a message to First High of Death Dealers Lady Victoria. She is to mobilize the Fallen Angels in thirty-days. They’re assignment. Formation of a Special Forces battalion on Highwinds. The unit personnel is to consist of known gang members. This is to be a last chance operation for known street criminals.”

“You’re sending your cousin into clean up a mess again.” Ryuk chuckled. “You’re an awful like your mother Maiha, James.”

“If I was like my mother Maiha, Ryuk. I wouldn’t be using a scalpel to solve a problem. I would use a PPC instead.” James chuckled.

“And you do not consider Chief Warrant Officer Second Class James Wolff a PPC?” Ryuk laughed. “I fear what you would consider a PPC.”

“You’ve seen and worked with what I consider my PPC, old man. When I turn them lose not even the Gods of War can stand in their way.” James turned towards the center of the observation deck. “Even I fear the unholy wrath of the Wave Dancers on a rampage looking for the blood of their enemies.”

“And what would you call your cousin on a rampage?” Ryuk asked him.

“The right hand of the Devil himself.” James snarled. “It is time for me to make use of that right hand to bring change to the Highwinds Kingdom.”

“Is it social change you wish to bring about or revenge James?”

“It depends on who you ask old man.” James answered the ancient AI as he headed for the left. “But you’re asking the wrong person.”

“Then who should I be asking?”

“The only person who knows the answer to that question. Dana Silver Leaf, High Queen for the Kingdom of Highwinds, first of her line, War Priestess for Goddess Sehanine Moonbow. That’s who you need to ask.” James told the AI as he entered the left. “She is the only one with the answer. To that particular question. Personally, I would have to say that she is out to change more than just her regular military. She is out to change the way her people view her half elf subjects. Through earned respect or bloody vengeance. Either way she’ll have her social change. The means and results will depend on the very people of her nation.”

Privet Office of Maiha Nakatoma, JESS, Hades Prime, Death Gates

Maiha stood at the window to her privet office looking out at the main gate. She could see the seven remaining Death Dealers of the Fallen Angels gathered there. The sight of those seven young men and women took her back to a time with her first team. When she was known as James J. Owens, Chief Warrant Officer, and the man they called Death. She knew that Colonel Stannis was telling Robert about Bama Breeze beach.

“Once again history repeats itself. The most feared of Death Dealers heads for an out of the way beach to ease his soul.” Her voice was filled with mirth and fondness. “I wonder if Robert will find his saving grace there as I did all those long years ago.”

“Oh, I’m pretty sure that he will find his saving grace, daughter.” Dai Etsu told her from over by the door to the office. “Several of our students are taking vacation there now.”

“Please tell me that you didn’t set this up mother?” Maiha groaned. At the giggle from Dai Etsu Maiha just sighed. “Who did you send?”

“Let us just say that all seven are some of our more rememberable.” Dai Etsu waited for Maiha to turn around and face her. “Now you have a class to teach, and I have a meeting of the school’s directors to attend.”

“I hope you’re right mother. Because I have a feeling that Robert Wolff and his Fallen Angels will repeat history once more in the Highwinds Court.” Maiha told her as she looked down at the report on her desk. “It seems that our old student and protégée is in need of a Death Dealer to correct the attitudes of her Regular Military Divisions. The only thing missing is the daughter of a High Family on Robert’s arm.” Maiha sighed heavy. “As much as I love Alice, there are times when I still miss my beloved Matsue. She was such a large part of my life. She gave me a small bit of peace during the times I needed it the most.”

“Matsue was more than just my sister as well James. She was a true light in the universe. I’ll be honest with you. Until I met my own James, Goddess rest his soul, I never knew what she saw in that brash young man that you were back then.” Dai Etsu looked out the window toward the gate. “Much like our dear Robert it seems.”

“I hate to say this mother, but I see a shit load of myself in that young man at that age.” Maiha chuckled.

“Yes you were rather rude, crude, and socially unacceptable back then. How did Matsue ever smooth off those rough edges? What was her great secret to taming Death?” Dai Etsu asked with a cheeky smile.

“Let’s just say that I was always a work in progress Dai Etsu. The one thing she was never able to smooth over was my rather infamous short fuse or violent temper.” They both chuckled over this rather glaring admission on Maiha’s part.

“If I’m not mistaken that infamous temper of yours had already served you well as a Death Dealer of some notoriety already. Hadn’t you already earned your rather notorious nickname of Death when you two first met.” Dai Etsu pointed out with a sad smile. “I still remember those painfilled and haunted eyes of yours that day on the beach. The one where we first met you and the rest of your team.”

“We were a rowdy bunch of assholes, weren’t we.” I told her with a smile. “I have to be honest, Dai Etsu. That Leave was the first one we had, had following one of the bloodiest fights in Death Dealer history. When I saw the two of you playing in the surf I knew that I was in love with Matsue.”

“We were young and innocent in the ways of the world then. Our father had allowed us to take a small break from the Family Temple’s strict education. To have the freedom to just play was new to us. Then you and your team appear out of nowhere. Where did you rowdy lot come from?” She asked with a smith.

“Believe it or not. We had been watching the two of you and your friends playing in the surf for more than an hour from the tiki-bar. Though I only had eyes for Matsue. I also knew that the six of you were all way out of our class.” I told her with a self-deprecating smile and chuckle. “After all we were a bunch of drunken rowdy GRUNTs and you were all, well lets be honest, High Families Ladies.”

“That we were and yet you managed to capture the heart of the only Lady who would give up her title to be the wife of a simple soldier. She gave her heart and soul to you James. I often found her tales of your adventures to be both enlightening and an escape from my duties to the Temple.” Dai Etsu chuckled then turned sad. “Though there were times when she would tell me of your nightmares. That you always sought the peace of mind that eludes even the most valiant of warriors.”

“A peace I never truly found.” Maiha sighed heavily as she picked up a report from members of the Emperor’s Hand off the top of my desk. She couldn’t believe what she had read. “Even with the first of my children in my arms. Both the ones birthed by Matsue and then the ones I gave birth to myself. I fear that Robert will face those same demons in the years to come. The fact that our enemies already call him the Bloody Ripper does not bode well for his future.”

“Then let us hope that history truly does repeat itself one last time.” Dai Etsu told her with a sad smile. “For his sake at least.”

“Your mouth to the Goddess’s ears.” Maiha whispered and left her office. As the two Grandames of the Nakatoma family went about their business the Fallen Angels were waving down the taxi that they had called for from the gate. The seven young soldiers would never know of the part that these two powerful women played in their future path. Nor would they know of the hope those two women held in their hearts for the newest Death Dealer to strike both fear and respect in his enemies.

-----tbc-----

up
411 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A new Death Dealer Novel

Thank you so much for the new Death Dealer novel! These and your Marshal novels are my favorites. Be safe, and have loads of fun!

The DD universe will always be my first love.

wolfjess7's picture

Though all of my stories have their own muses and voices. The Death Dealer Universe will always be my first labor of love. Maiha and her band of misfits speak to me in ways that the Black Badges, Dragon Empress, Racing Angels, or all the others don't. I guess that is the reason I keep expanding this universe little by little. I realized while writing Wolff of the Endless Waltz that this universe holds far too many stories to just set aside on some shelf to be covered in dust.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Full universe.

Thank you for your universe. I always appreciated when authors have multiple stories that fit within the same Universe. CJ Cherryth and her amazing space saga's from the Chanur Saga to down below station are awesome. Also I think most of Heinlein's stories fit on an actual time line as well.

Heinlein

Has an actual timeline published that covers the stories, the characters, and the significant events throughout his future history. If you search it you should be able to find it posted online somewhere.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

No reason not to.

Beoca's picture

This universe is both extremely fun to be in and has the capacity for a near-infinite number of stories to be written (heck, just utilizing all the ones previously mentioned as throwaway references would probably keep you busy for the next decade). Given the sheer variety of what CAN be told, it would honestly be more surprising if you did NOT want to keep coming back to the DDU.

Most of the other universes, fun as they are, are far narrower in scope.

My first love of WolfJess7 stories

WillowD's picture

As much as I love and adore the Black Badges, the Death Dealer stories are by far my favorite WolfJess7 stories.

I've got a sneaky feeling that reading this first chapter of an awesome new novel is going to prod me into doing a WolfJess7 re-reading binge. Thank you for writing all of these awesome stories.

This one is already starting

This one is already starting off fun.

Glad to see you back, hope you're not over exerting yourself with your 4H (and related) groups.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I hope to have a lot more fun.

wolfjess7's picture

I always have fun writing a story in this universe. I know that a lot of my readers want to read more stories about the Sky Dancers and Jordan don't worry their story has not ended.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

What might happen if a sky

Beoca's picture

What might happen if a sky dancer looked to leave New Holland and serve the Empire elsewhere? And maybe got in touch with the Death Dealers? And maybe was given the 2nd gen upgrades?

Sky Dancer and Death Dealer tech integration

wolfjess7's picture

There are a few problems with Sky Dancers leaving New Holland to become Death Dealers. The first of which is one that may not be apparent to most readers. When a Sky Dancer bonds with their symbiont they enter into a true symbiotic relationship between two separate species. One of which is basically a genetically altered alien lifeform. Secondly while the Sky Dancers do know a great deal about their symbiont partners they don’t know how they would react to the nanobot process used to make a Death Dealer. Lastly for Sky Dancers who have undergone the bonding process with a symbiont to leave New Holland it would take separating them from their symbiont. The reason behind this is a simple one. A bonded Sky Dancer could not live on a planet with a normal atmosphere unless they inhabited cities in the upper atmosphere where the air pressure is lower. While the sons of Sky Dancers used to leave New Holland and join the Empire’s military. They usually did so as aerospace fighter pilots assigned to High Altitude Recon fighters. I hope that answers your questions Beoca. I can tell you now that I have not forgotten about Jordan and her Thunderhawks. I am working on the notes for a second Sky Dancer story to be written once i have everything outlined.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Elven racists ?

giggles. I guess every people have their "we are so much better than everybody else" idiots

DogSig.png

Every race has their A holes.

wolfjess7's picture

I've been to a great many places around the world. In every city I've visited I've found bigotry directed towards one minority or another. It didn't matter where I was there was always a minority that felt the sting of hatred in one form or another.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

spell check

smdani4mm's picture

might want to spell check the trail as in "trail by blood" and make it "Trial by Blood."

also Privet should be private.

Now the empress commands you to publish chapter 2. (grins)

Dani

SmDani4

The English Language as known by Jessica Wolff

Robyn B's picture

Hi Dani,

I, too, at first was very frustrated reading Jess's writing style. I, too, commented on her spell-checker's ability to cope with her writing.

You, too, will have to learn to read her writings in the same way as the rest of us...

Don't let the frustrations stop you reading such good writing. Interpreting such spelling is now part of how I read Jess's wonderful stories; whichever universe she is writing in...

Robyn B
Sydney

Please understand that English is not my first language!

wolfjess7's picture

Hi Robyn and Dani,

First I would like to say thank you for your comments. I know that at times my stories are hard read. The main reason behind this is that I am not a native speaker of English. English is in truth my 7th language. I grew up speaking Romany. From there I learned Bosnian, Russian, Czech, Polish, German, and finally English at 17 just before I crossed under the Iron Curtain. To be very honest with you and everyone else who reads my stories. The only reason I even learned all those languages was out of survival as I made my way to freedom in the West.

Jessie Wolff

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

I've spoken with Rom before.

I've spoken with Rom before. Even when they grow up in an English speaking area, there's a definite dialect accent.

I think what people aren't aware of is that most of the erroneous word choices are due to speech to text. Many Europeans, especially eastern, have dramatically different ways that vowels are spoken, compared to most dialects of English. This is at least partly due to the Great Vowel Shift having changed English (and Frisian, to a lesser degree) over the centuries.

So you end up with words that look correct for the way they were spoken in that accent (Try saying the 'wrong' words, but use a sterotype Slavic or Russian accent). I have several customers with different accents. An Israeli gave up on using voice to text on anything but Siri, because it was constantly changing words, and he's still having a hard time with spelling - after 30 years.

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

This isn't a matter of English, ...

Sara Selvig's picture

... it is a matter of finding someone skilled in translating "Rom-lish" into "West-lish" who would work for having the thrill of being the first to read each new creation. The rest of us could have the thrill of reading both versions.

OTOH, perhaps we only need patience. If memory serves (which does sometimes happen, even at my age) when prior stories were released in book form, said translator's services had been applied. Or, perhaps I had already lost my sensitivity to the differences between Rom-lish and West-lish. :)

Thank you, Jess, for another good story; another one that is worth staying up well past my bedtime to read.

Sara


Between the wrinkles, the orthopedic shoes, and nine decades of gravity, it is really hard to be alluring. My icon, you ask? It is the last picture I allowed to escape the camera ... back before most BC authors were born.

Elvens

I like how this story has started and that story on Wolf is on going and we find out more about the Elven empire

Wolf

I am truly glad to see another story in this universe. My best turned me onto this site and your writings. He was right you do have the talent to paint a story with words. He told me you had the soul of a warrior and a person who had to fight for yourself and what you believe in. He has since past but you and Morpheus were his favorites authors here. Thank you

WhiteBull

WhiteBull1

Wolf

I am truly glad to see another story in this universe. My best turned me onto this site and your writings. He was right you do have the talent to paint a story with words. He told me you had the soul of a warrior and a person who had to fight for yourself and what you believe in. He has since past but you and Morpheus were his favorites authors here. Thank you

WhiteBull

WhiteBull1

Another wonderful start to

Another wonderful start to the next series in your universe. You just keep turning out page turners. I can’t stop reading them until the last word of the last chapter.

Thank You!

"Wild Thing. You make my heart sing.... Wild Thing!" Four years ago, when I was in the Hospital getting my new set of XX Chromosomes and fighting for my life, I found the Death Dealers. I'm so happy to still be walking the Circle and also to have your stories to still get lost in. I cannot and would not ask for someone else's Muse to produce, know that she'll always have a warm and receptive audience for each new chapter.