The Black Sword chapter- 1

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 1
Avalon high School, New Avalon, Colorado: Monday morning

David Author Pendragon jr. walked through the doors to his new high school with a heavy heart. This was his 5th school system in ten years. All thanks to his parents work. It wasn’t easy being the youngest child of the world’s two foremost Arthurian Professors. As he walked through the hallway towards the principal’s office to register she spotted the usual clicks. “Man talk about your cliches.”

“What was that young man?” A teacher asked David as he passed a classroom door.

“Nothing sir. Just talking to myself.” David answered honestly. “Can you direct me to the principal’s office? I need to register for classes.”

“Continue down this hall to the end and take the hallway to the right. Principal Harding’s office is about way half down the main hall. Before you go. Can you explain why you came in through the side entrance?” The teacher asked bluntly.

“I thought I came in through the main entrance sir.” David answered in confusion.

“I see. Are you new to Avalon young man?” The teacher asked him.

“Just moved here a few days ago sir. I’ve been kind of busy helping my mom and dad move into the new house and their offices over at the college.” David explained.

“I see Mister Pendragon. I’ll forgive your use of the Eastern doorway then today. Please reframe from using it in the future. That is the teachers’ entrance only. Understand?” The man informed him bluntly. “I suggest you hurry along.”

“Yes sir. Before I go. May I know how you know my name and what classes do you teach?” David asked the man politely.

“I’m Professor Malcom Thorn. I teach English three here, and AP English.” Mister Thorn smirked. “As for how I know your name. Your mother and father are rather famous in their field. They are also the only new Professors at Avalon College.”

Even as David facepalmed Professor Thorn chuckled. “I should have known. Does every teacher here know about my parents sir?”

“No. I’m the only one David. I take that you wish to keep your connection to your parents a secret?” Thorn asked a nodding David. “As much as I would love to tell you that is possible. I refuse to lie to a student. Once you register for your classes every teacher in this school will know you are.”

“I should have known that was pipe dream.” David sighed. “Oh well. Nothing for it I guess. Thank you for the directions sir. See you later.”

With that David hurried down the hallway. He reached the Principal’s office just as the bell for the start of homeroom sounded. He stood there and watched as the hallway emptied of students of all ages between 14 and 18. “Man talk about parting the Red Sea. Damn they must have a harsh detention to get that kind of response.”

“You could say that young man. Don’t you have some place to be?” A voice said from behind him as the office door opened.

“Not yet sir. I need to register for classes first. This is my first day at Avalon High.” David answered with a slight blush coming to his face.

“Welcome then to Avalon young man. I’m Principal Carter or as the students like to call me, Mister C.” Carter told him with a smile. “Now let’s get you enrolled young man. Though I am surprised to have such a late enrollment.”

“Well, until ten days ago my family were living in England. I have my transcripts from my old school with me, sir.” David told him as he opened his backpack.

“Ten days ago, you say. You wouldn’t happen to be David and Kathern’s youngest son?” Carter asked him with a small smile.

“Yes sir.” David sighed already regretting where this was going.

“Don’t worry David. I’ve known your mother and father for longer than you’ve been alive.” Carter laughed. “Come on let’s get you squared away with your classes. Sue would you please draw up a class schedule for our newest student, David Pendragon?”

“I’ll get on it right away Mister C.” A young woman in her twenties answered before hurrying into the nearest office. “Any requests I need to know about?”

“Just that he needs all AP classes. You are taking AP Classes correct David?” Carter asked as he thought about the young man next him.

“Yes sir. With the exception of Calculus and gym of course. I was hoping to join the swim or gymnastics team.” David told him as they entered the main office.

“I’m afraid that you’ll have to put those plans on hold David. Currently our men’s swimming and gymnastics teams are on hiatus until further notice. We lost our coaches for both teams. You might have to settle for joining the track team.” Carter explained kindly to David as they entered the office.

“Damn.” David muttered under his breath. His two favorite activities were swimming and gymnastics. He had gotten hooked on both at his last school. Carter heard the muttered curse of course but decided to overlook it because he could hear the boy’s disappointment. He had heard from David’s father how much the boy enjoyed and excelled at the two sports. “Are there any off-campus clubs for the two sports?”

“Not in New Avalon. Sadly, we just don’t have the population to support them. If this was Denver or one of the other major cities you would be able to find such clubs.” Carter explained with a sigh. “But New Avalon is a relatively new town. Only fifty-three years old and thanks to the college our main business is academia.”

“Oh wow. You mean New Avalon is a real college town?” David asked in surprise.

“In more ways than one David. Approximately seventy-three percent of New Avalon’s population works directly for or in support of the college. The rest population works in support of those seventy-three percent. To be brutally honest with you David. New Avalon would even been more than a four-way stop on the map if not for the college. They might not have one of the big-name sports programs like Alabama or Clemson, but they do have one of the best Science and Historical departments in the world. The college may be small, but it is one of the best in academics.” Carter stated proudly. “They have graduated more Roads Scholars in the last twenty years than any other college in the United States or Europe combined.”

“Wow. Dad said that he was surprised to be invited to instruct at the college. He just never said why. Now I know.” David chuckled.

“Will you be working with your parents on the Excalibur project David?” Carter asked with real hope in his voice.

“Hold up Mister C. How did you find out about that?” David demanded. He knew that the research project was supposed to be top secret.

“My brother works for the same department over at the college. He told me about the two swords that were found by your parents. Is it true they were found in a thirteenth century crypt?” Carter asked him politely.

“It was the crypt for a knight from the twelfth century and yes there were two swords. One of which is known to be the legendary Excalibur. It has all the markings that Excalibur is reported to have. It’s the other sword that my mom and dad are interested in the most. If my parents are right it is the Black Sword of Saint John. The legendary defender for the Isle of Man.” David told his new Principal with more than a little excitement. “That’s the one I want to see.”

“Why wouldn’t you want to see Excalibur?” Carter asked him.

“Everyone knows the story of Excalibur Mister C. But the Black Sword is the greatest mystery in all of European history. No one knows where it came from or what kind of metal it was forged from. They say that the blade is so sharp that it can cut through even the thickest of armor plate with a single blow.” David told him smiling with real pride. “It’s the only sword to have actually withstood a direct strike from Excalibur in the hands of King Arthur. They also say that the sword is one of five cursed blades lost to history.”

“I must say that is quite the tall tale.” Carter chuckled.

“I can do is quote my father on this matter sir. There is a gain of truth in all legends. Just look at the legend of King Arthur and his Knights of the round table. While he was a central figure in the legends making up the Matter of Britain. The legendary Arthur developed as a figure of international interest largely through the popularity of Geoffrey of Monmouth's fanciful and imaginative twelfth-century History of the Kings of Britain. This man was based off the real British leader who, according to medieval histories and romances, led the defense of Britain against Saxon invaders in the late fifth and early sixth centuries.” David told Carter with a small smile as he repeated his father’s favorite lecture.

“That sounds like something your father would say during a lecture on the subject.” Carter told him with his own smile.

“It is. I don’t know how many times he’s given me that very lecture at the diner table.” David sighed dramatically. “I love my parents sir, but they have a bad habit of slipping into lecture mode. Especially when my English teachers discuss the legends surrounding King Arthur and Camelot.”

“Then you’ll most likely be hearing it again tonight. Professor Thorn is the only AP English instructor we have. This semester he plans on going over the Arthurian legends and comparing them to the actual truth of those times.” Carter told him with a friendly smile. “Though you can be sure that Thorn will not go easy on you.”

“Why am I not surprised.” David snarked. “Once again my parents doom me to a semester of brain picking.”

Carter just chuckled at David’s good-natured gripping. About that time the secretary returned with David’s class schedule and a map of the school with all his classes. “Here you go sir. David your locker is in hallway three on the second floor. I’ve sent an email to all of your teachers informing them of your need for textbooks.”

“Thank you ma’am. Have a good day. You to sir.” With that David left the main office and headed for his first class of the day.

Once he was out of the office Mr. Carter turned to the secretary. “Thank you for taking care of that Sue. I know that Mr. Moreland would normally handle the enrollment of a new student, but he won’t be back until next semester.”

“I know that sir. It was no problem. Has his wife had her baby yet?” Sue asked hopefully as she picked up a notebook.

“Not yet, Sue. The baby pool is still going strong.” Carter chuckled as he handed her another $10 dollars. “Put me down for the seventeenth of September at ten-twenty pm. Sex boy, weight seven pounds, ten ounces.”

On the second floor of the four-story school building David found his locker. After entering the combination to the electronic lock for his locker put away his jacket. Taking his backpack David headed for his homeroom and first class of the day.

Avalon College, New Avalon, Colorado

David and Kathern Pendragon stepped into the restoration lab in the basement of the main historical building. There before them on a marble table lay their newest project. Two thirteenth century longswords made from unidentified metals. One was black in color the other silver chrome. The silver chrome sword they knew to be the fabled sword of King Arthur Excalibur. The black sword they believed belonged to Saint John thanks to the runes carved long the length of the blade.

“Can you believe it David? After all these years we finally have proof for two of the great sword of power.” Kathern sighed as she pulled on her lab coat.

“They’re more than that love. They’re a clue to the other three swords of power. If we can prove the even one legend true we’ll have all the proof to gain the needed research funds to hunt for the other three.” David told her with a grim face.

“Then we’ll have to use the Sword of Saint John, David. The UK has already placed restrictions on what we can and cannot do with Excalibur.” Kathern told him harshly. Then lowered her voice so that only her husband would hear her. “The question is who do we use for our guineapig?”

“That is the question of the day Kathy. It needs to be someone who we can control as well as trust. I just hope that we’ve translated those runes on the blade correctly. Because if that isn’t the sword of Saint John all of our hard work will have been for nothing.” David grumbled.

“Or something far worse David.” Kathern whispered. “There is still the possibility that it is the dragon blade of Morgana Le Faye.”

“Are you still going on about that old fairy tale?” David sighed. “It was never proven that Morgana ever carried a sword into battle.”

“Aren’t you forgetting the Scrolls of Merlin and the Troll Hunter Chronicles? Let us not forget the Tomes of Sirs Galahad and Gawain. Then there’s the Order of the Bear. Can you honestly just blithely ignore all of the evidence within those documents?” Kathern asked of her husband.

“No. You’re right love. There is far too much we don’t know about that black sword. For some reason though I feel it in my bones that it is the Black Blade of Saint John.” David told her honestly. Then at the look she gave him David sighed. “At least I hope that it is the Black Blade.”

“And if it is Morgana’s blade? What then?” Kathern asked him.

“Then I pray that the welder can avoid the curse of that blade.” David grunted. “That or the curse is nothing more than a story to frighten children.”

“What is does the curse say anyway?” Kathern asked.

“From what I’ve been able to translate it talks about the Spirits of Time and Space exacting revenge. The problem is I’m not positive. There is something strange about these runes. This is more your area of expertise than mine.” David admitted.

“Wait. You said runes not Latin. Are you sure?” Kathern asked quickly. David just nodded his head. “Then we have a few problems. First off if this was the sword of Saint John or one of the other Arthurian Knights the writing would be in Latin or Anglo-Saxon English. Depending on the era. Both of which are common enough that you would know them by sight. Second if the writing on the blade is in unknown runes then it isn’t the Sword of Saint John. If that is the case then we have a third problem. Just exactly who does that black sword belong to?”

“That’s why I asked you down here this morning. Take a good look at those runes. Tell me what you see.” David told his wife and fellow researcher.

Kathern just smiled and pulled on a pair of white cotton gloves to examine the sword and scabbard. For ten minutes she said nothing as she slowly turned the two items in her hands. “David these are Germanic Druid runes. I hate to say this, but we need an expert in Germanic runes. I know of only one in the area. What time does he get out of classes today?”

“Three o’clock this afternoon. Are you sure you want to bring him in on this?” David asked his wife honestly.

“Unless you know of another expert in ancient European runes in the area. I don’t see how we have any other choice.” Kathern sighed.

“It’s just after twelve. He should be at lunch right now. I’ll make the call.” David turned and walked into his office to make a phone call feeling like he just betrayed his own son.

Avalon High School: 1215

David sat down at the first open table he could find. Looking down at his lunch of cardboard pizza, fruit mix, and cold milk he wondered if he should bring his lunch from now. “Man, I should have known better. After six deferent schools I should have learned by now to just pack my lunch for the first week.”

“Doesn’t get any better after the first week.” A blond-haired boy said as he took the seat across from David. The boy held out his hand in greeting. “Lee Grant welcome to Avalon High. Home of the wayward Crusaders.”

“David Pendragon. Nice to meet you Lee.” David said as he shook Lee’s hand. “So, when do the lunch ladies actually hand out eatable food?”

“The first day after never in the month of infinity.” Lee wise cracked earning him a chuckle from David. “So, what’s your story? You got the whole new kid vibe down big time. More than most of the new kids that show around here.”

“My parental units have a bad habit of transferring every two years. From the time I was in kindergarten I’ve attended six deferent schools. In six deferent college towns. That about sums it all up in a nutshell.” David chuckled sadly.

“Damn dude that sucks. Well at least you’re not in the same boat as Joe Hathaway. I think he was in nine schools before his parents landed their jobs over at the college. Though I heard there is a new kid whose parents are the new History Department Heads over at the college.” Lee chuckled before he spotted the blush come to David’s face. “Oh shit. You’re him.”

“Yup. Guilty as charged. My parents are the new heads for the History Department.” David grinned. “Doesn’t make my life any easier I can tell you now.”

“Wow. You’re one of those Pendragons. I got to admit bro. I’m kind of envious of you. My dad works in the restoration department over at the college. He was telling about some of the dig sites your parents have been to and colleges they’ve taught at. I mean you’ve traveled to more countries than most GIs have.” Lee told him.

“Trust me I know. The upside is they’re here for the next four years. At least I get to graduate from the same high school I started my freshman year.” David grunted then grinned. “Now I just need to find something to occupy my after-school hours.”

“You could join one of the teams bro. I mean from the looks of you. You could play linebacker easily. Hell, if you have any kind of speed you could try out for running back. If that nots your thing you could try out for the baseball team in the spring. I would stay away from the basketball and wrestling teams. Those guys are all a bunch of troublemakers. Before you ask I’m on the fencing team.” Lee told David with real pride. “We’re currently the State Champs.”

“Why didn’t Mister C tell me about the fencing team?” David with excitement. “I’m pretty good with a saber and broadsword.”

“A few reasons. The first of which is the team is full. One of those privet schools upstate got a stupid rule about the number of members pre team put in place a few years. The second thing is nobody uses sabers or broadswords. Well except for the Renaissance Fair people. They really get into the whole Medieval roleplay thing. It’s nothing to see guys walking around with rapiers, longswords, claymores, broadswords, daggers, you name it. Thankfully none of them have an actual cutting edge or things could get messy.” Lee chuckled.

As excited as he was hearing about the Ren-Far David’s cellphone just had to pick that time to ring. Recognizing the ring tone, he set for his father’s office David answered quickly. “Hi dad. What’s up? You never call during the school day. Did something happen to mom?”

David could tell that Lee wanted to know what was going on, so he put his phone on speaker. “No, your mother is fine, David. We’ve run into a minor problem over here at the college in the research department David. We could use your expert opinion on some Germanic runes that we’ve come across.”

“Woah dude. You’re an expert on Germanic runes? Get out of here.” Lee exclaimed.

“Who is that David?” His father asked.

“My new friend Lee Grant.” David answered quickly.

“Dale Grant’s son?” David’s father asked.

“Yes sir. He works in the restoration department over at the college.” Lee answered.

“David bring Lee with you this afternoon once school lets out. I believe he’ll get a real kick out of seeing you strut your stuff. See you then, son.” The phone went dead before either David or Lee could say anything.

“Um… sorry about that Lee. I know how my dad can get. You don’t have to come with me this afternoon.” David began only to stop as Lee held up his hand.

“Nope. I’m joining you. There is no way I’ll pass up a chance to see the restoration lab. Not with all those cool ass weapons they brought back from that crypt on the Isle of Man last summer.” Lee grinned. “Besides I got a feelings you’re holding out on me here David. Your dad called you an expert. What did he mean?”

“Unlike my mom and dad, I know how to read ancient runes. I know it’s going to sound crazy, but I learn how to read runes for playing D and D.” David blushed because he was basically admitting to this stranger that he was a geek.

“Damn dude that’s cool. You ever LARP?” Lee asked him.

“Only for the Dragon and Com-Cons.” David leaned forward over the table slightly. “If I tell you something about my family do you promise to keep to yourself?”

“Dude nothing you say to me will ever pass my lips. I know we just meet and everything, but I got this feeling we’re going to become friends for life.” Lee grinned. “Besides nothing could be more embarrassing than what my family does.”

“Why’s that?” David asked him.

“We all participate in Ren-Fare every year. I mean the whole shebang. My sisters do the Fair Maiden bite, my parents are the local Lord and Lady of the castle.” Lee told David with a more excitement as he saw the gleam in the other boy’s eyes. “Don’t tell me that your parents are into Ren-Fares as well?”

“Are you kicking? With a name like Pendragon Medieval Ren-Fares are part of the deal bro. Though my parents have no problem with flying the family coat of arms they go out of their way to not upstage the local Lords and Ladies. They have allowed me to participate in the sword jousting competitions the last two years.” David chuckled. “I finally graduated from being dad’s squire.”

“You must practice in full armor.” Lee told David eyeing the muscles that his new friend had. “A lot from the looks of those muscles.”

“You have no idea bro. My old man is all about authentic Medieval military training. There’s been more than once I’ve had bruises on my bruises.” David chuckled.

“Looks like we’ll be going head-to-head in this year’s Longsword competition.” Lee grinned evilly. “By the way. I’m the current eighteen and under champion.”

The two boys laughed as they clasped hands. They spent the rest of their lunch break talking. During that time Lee filled David in on the areas and people around the school to avoid. Most notably Lee told him to stay away from the rodeo ring and rodeo crowd. From what Lee told him the rodeo crowd were the biggest troublemakers in the school, if not the county. When the bell rang signaling the end of lunch both boys headed for their next class of the day. For Lee it was Chemistry while David had Social Studies. The two boys met up an hour later for the last class of the day AP English with Mr. Thorn.

“Well hurry up you two. I don’t have any problems with handing out detentions for tardiness.” The old man grumbled. As David entered the door. “Just because were using your parents textbook Mister Pendragon don’t expect an easy A.”

“Never do sir.” David told him with a straight face and walked to the back of the room to join Lee. Once he had taken his seat David mumbled. “Asshole.”

“Don’t let him get you David. Old iron pants hates anyone who might have a leg up on his material. Last year he failed a girl whose parents are English professors over at the college. Just because she pointed out that during Shakespeare’s time it was consider immoral for women to perform on stage. Not that it was illegal like he was telling everybody.” Lee told David with a heavy sigh. “Trust me the guy’s only a total asshole during class.”

“What about the rest of the time?” David snarked.

“A real prick.” Lee chuckled. The boys’ attention was drawn to the front of the classroom as the bell rang and Mr. Thorn began the lesson.

“Welcome to AP English ladies and gentlemen. I’m your teacher Mister Thorn. Over the next semester we’ll cover the Arthurian legend. As part of this I will assign every two students a subject from the legend.” Thorn picked up a coffee can from his desk and began to walk down the rows of students. With six rows of six students apiece he broke the class down into thirteen pairs. One student for each pairing pulled out a piece of paper holding their assignment.

David wanted to chuckle when two of the football jocks picked the Order of the Bear. He knew they would fail miserably. The poor boy almost fell out of his seat when two cheerleaders picked the food of Camelot. David’s merriment end though when Lee who was picked as his partner drew their assignment. Thorn looked down at the two of them with a sneer. “The evil sorceress Morgana Le Fay.”

“Excuse me sir. I beg to defer. Of all the texts concerning Morgana Le Fay and King Arthur only one depicts her as a vileness.” David countered Thorn quickly. “In truth she was one of King Arthur’s most trust advisors.”

“Sorry young man but we will not be entertaining these modern-day falsehoods that Morgana Le Fay was some misunderstood woman of power. You will only use the approve texts.” Thorn snarled as David sighed.

“Yes sir.” With David’s compliance Thorn went on to discuss the rest of the syllabus. When the bell rang for the end of the day the students rapidly exited the classroom. David stopped at his locker and put away the books he won’t end for his homework and picked up the two that he would. Lee met him at the main entrance to the school.

“Ready to head over to the college bro?” Lee asked him.

“Sure. Where can we catch the bus?” David asked him.

“Dude we just have to walk across the football field. If we waited for the bus to take us. We’ll be waiting around for an hour. By cutting across the field, we’ll be there in just ten minutes.” Lee chuckled at the look of surprise on David’s face. “I live on the other side of the college campus. Part of the deal my parents made with the College was a house near campus.”

“Um… is nine-twenty-four Rosewood part of the Professors’ housing?” David asked.

“Dude the whole garden area is housing for the College’s Professors. At least the ones that have families anyway.” Lee explained as the two walked towards the football field. As they entered the stadium proper Lee asked David about their AP English assignment. “Tell me something bro. What was the deal with you about Morgana being depicted as a villain?”

“It all goes back to what I said in class. You see in early text she is described as a goddess, a fay, a witch, or a sorceress, generally benevolent and related to King Arthur as his magical saviour, and protector. Her prominence increased as legends developed over time, as did her moral ambivalence, and in some texts there is an evolutionary transformation of her to an antagonist, particularly as portrayed in cyclical prose such as the Lancelot-Grail and the Post-Vulgate Cycle. A significant aspect in many of Morgana's medieval and later iterations is the unpredictable duality of her nature, with potential for both good and evil.” David explained for his new friend. “That is my beef with people portraying her strictly as a villain. She was so much more. Just ask my mom sometime.”

“Yah I can see you point. Though I do got to ask what you meant by the comment you made about her being one of Arthur’s greatest Knights?” Lee asked.

“There is a little-known text about Morgana Le Fay and these two knightly orders. They’re the Order of the Bear and Gray Wolf.” David explained with a faint smile.

“Okay what’s the Orders of the Bear and the Gray Wolf?” Lee asked bluntly having never heard of either Knightly order before.

“Okay the Order of the Bear is all about protecting the once and future king of Britain. That order was founded around a prophecy concerning the return of King Arthur himself. While the order of the Gray Wolf was founded for the protection of Avalon itself. According to legend the Gray Wolf knights were nothing like the Knights of the Round Table.” David gave Lee a wicked grin as if he was about to drop a bomb on his new friend. “The main deference being they were all women.”

“Woah! Seriously bro! A Knightly Order made of nothing but women! You got to be joking right?” Lee asked him in shock.

“Nope. Dead serious bro. The problem is no one has been able to find proof of the Gray Wolf Knights. As for the Order of the Bear. There is only one place with verifiable text on them from the fifteenth century. The Grand Tome of Heraldry. Outside of that there is nothing on the Order of the Bear.” David explained with a soft chuckle. “Most Arthurian scholars put the two orders down as nothing more than another myth concerning Morgana Le Fay that doesn’t conform with their preconceived ideals of her being a villain.”

“Damn dude you got a real hang up about Morgana being portrayed as a villain.” Lee chuckled then blushed at the look David gave him. “Sorry.”

“No problem Lee. I know I have a real hang up about Morgana being portrayed as a villain. Most of it comes from actually reading her story through the various texts. If it wasn’t for the writings of two men she would never have been slapped with the fucked-up rep she has now days. Sadly, thanks to that fucked up mind set of the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century. Where women were believed to be mindless bits of fluff only the opinions of male scholars was accepted. An attitude that continued into the Victorian era.” David bitched. “There was some really groundbreaking work done by women in the Victorian and Edwardian eras that was ignored by their male counterparts of the times.”

“Wow, really? This is the first I’ve heard of any female Arthurian scholars from that time. Wouldn’t happen to have examples of them would you?” Lee asked as the two boys crossed onto the college campus properly.

“My parents got more books on the subject than anyone I know. Even the lesser-known books by those women I told you about. You got to remember that my parents are the current leading Arthurian Legend experts. If those two football jocks were smart they would head for the college library this weekend. Hell, if half our AP English class was smart they would be spending their weekends over at the college library digging through the research materials there.” David told Lee bluntly.

“What research materials are you talking about bro?” Lee asked with a smile.

“For starters there are all of my parents’ books. Then there are the ones written by your dad, Professors Heath, Kent, Lockheed, and Goran. Each one of them is an expert in their individual fields of study and all of them are published with their books here in the college library. Though the ones we need to really concentrate on are by Professor Linn Grace. She is the foremost expert on Morgana Le Fay.” David explained for Lee. “Though I wish we could go to her directly. Unfortunately, Professor Grace is currently in England on a dig.”

“Woah. There’s a new dig that I haven’t heard about. Where?” Lee asked excitedly.

“Oh yeah. It’s in Northern England on the Southern border of Scotland. Just inside of the Northumberland National Park. It’s a real first of its kind find.” David explained with a smile as they entered the Restoration Building.

“Say David can you tell me why your dad would want you to translate a bunch of runes? I know you said that you studied them to play D-n-D and all, but why would he consider you an expert?” Lee asked him.

“Well, I kind of am an expert in ancient runes. I started studying runes, ancient languages, and hieroglyphs when I was just ten. I started with Greek and went from there. The hardest ancient language I’ve learned is Minoan. If it wasn’t for Professor Hallie Pappadimos’ work I would still be busting my ass with that language. Talk about a real nut buster.” David told Lee with a real smile of pride. “But my specialty is in the Germanic tribes and their runes.”

“Just how many ancient languages do you know man?” Lee asked in surprise.

“Can I refuse to answer that on the grounds of self-incrimination?” David asked with a wicked grin.

“There you are. About time you got here Junior. Get in here and translate these runes. We don’t have all damn year to get this research done.” David’s father yelled at them from down the hallway.

“Come on dad. I just got here. Can’t I at least get my bearings and a cup of coffee before I start?” David sighed at his father’s impatience. “Those runes have waited four to five hundred years to be translate. Another hour or two won’t matter.”

“David Arthur Pendragon junior let me be perfectly clear. Time is of the essence right now. Now, you’re being paid to translate those runes. Get in there and translate them for your mother and me.” David senior snapped.

“Come on Lee. Your dad is most likely in there as well.” David told his new friend with a heavy sigh of resignation.

“Who is this?” His father asked stopping the two boys at the door to the lab.

“Lee Grant, dad. We go to school together and I’m pretty sure you work with his father.” David grunted as he walked past his father. “Though I doubt you even realized who has been busting their ass to get shit done for you.”

“That was uncalled for David. Your father may get tunnel vision at times, but he does respect those who work in this department.” Kathern snapped from across the room. “Please come over here and try to translate the runes on this scabbard.”

“Okay mom, but don’t expect much. There are more than forty known European runic alphabets. Not counting the subdialects of those alphabets. I won’t even go into the Elven and Darvin runic alphabets.” David told her honestly. “Then there are all the other Fey rune alphabets out there.”

“We understand that David. Though I doubt that will be a problem. We’re pretty sure that the runes we need translated are Germanic in origin.” Kathern told him as she pointed towards the scabbard holding the back longsword.

“Okay. If that’s the case. It shouldn’t take me to long.” David told her with confidence. David pulled on the standard white cotton gloves and picked up the scabbard. “I hate to tell you this mom, but these aren’t Germanic runes. At least not in the traditional sense. These are Elvish runes mixed in with a few standard Germanic. If I didn’t know better I would say this was written in the language of the Magus Supreme or the Black Forest Fey.”

“Are you sure about that David?” His father asked with real excitement.

“Yes sir. I need to access the internet to be positive, but Professor Johan Wirths of the Berlin University published a paper on the possibility of there being a Black Forest Fey language. If he is right this scabbard could be all the evidence he would need to prove his theory.” David placed his finger on the first rune character. “This one here is the Fey rune for Sorceress, but it is followed by the Germanic rune for green or emerald. The next two have to be taken together as they’re a proper name and title. Though I’ve never heard of Queen Morgant Rheged.”

“Wait did you say Morgant Rheged, junior?” David’s father asked in shock.

“Yes sir. Does that name mean something for you sir?” David asked him in confusion.

“It does mean something but more for your mother than me. Please keep translating. Kathern see if you can get Wirths on Skype for us.” David senior turned to two of their grade students. “Peter can you find Doctor Grant for us. Marcy I need you to get Doctor Horn down here now.” Both students took off without a second thought as David senior turned to his son. “Okay junior keep going please. So far you’re gotten further with the translation than anyone else.”

“Are you sure dad? I mean this is not really my field of study. I could be wrong with my translations.” David told his father honestly.

“David I trust you and right now you’re our only expert on ancient runes. Your mother and I can handle Latin, Middle and Old English just fine. It is the runic languages that we have always ignored. Much to our disgrace this time.” David senior told his son honestly. “We foolishly felt that studying runes was a dead end.”

“Okay dad but don’t blame me if I screw the translation up.” David turned back to the scabbard. “The rest of this inscription is definitely in some type of Fey. If I’m reading this right. The inscription goes on with a bunch of titles. First Child of Oberon and Titania. Queen of Avalon, True ruler of the Northern Isles. First Queen of the Light Elves. That’s strange that last bite makes no sense at all. I’m not really sure about the other side mom. It’s all written in Germanic Fey. I got to say mom. This scabbard is all the proof that Doctor Wirths needs. It also proves your theory that Morgana Le Fey has ties to the more than just the Fey in England but to Germany especially the Black Forest.”

“What are you talking about David?” Kathern asked him.

“Well, I’m not sure if I got this right. It says this scabbard holds the true power of the Green Sorceress, daughter of the dragon, sister to the one true king. I could be wrong mom, but if I had to make a guess. This is the scabbard for a sword belonging to Morgana Le Fay.” David told her with eyes wide in surprise.

Kathern grabbed a longsword off another table and handed it to her son. David could tell this was no ordinary longsword. “Oh, shit mom. This monster isn’t a longsword.”

“David is right ma’am. That’s a bastard sword. It may appear to be a standard longsword, but the handle and length gives its true nature away.” Lee explained as he took the sword from David with real respect for the weapon. Lee turned the sword and placed the tip on the floor. When Kathern saw that the cross guard was even with Lee’s shoulders and the pomelle eye level she realized what the boys were saying. While her specialty lay elsewhere she did know the basic differences between swords. While this sword was not as long as a German Zweihänder it was longer than a standard longsword which was designed to be welded in a single hand.

“Lee you said this was a bastard sword. Besides the deference in size and the way it is welded is there another reason for the name?” Kathern asked him.

“Because the sword can be welded either with one or two hands in battle. Also, there is something else that is deferent about this sword that places it in the bastard sword category. The very metal it is forged from not to mention the method of forging.” Lee explained. “This metal is not steel or any other type of iron-based metal that I know.”

“Are you sure about that Lee?” David junior asked his friend.

“As sure as the sun rises in the East bro. I’ve only seen four other blades forged from this type of metal. Each one was forged from meteorite ore. The solid black color and light weight gives it away.” Lee explained as he spun the blade around with an ease that belied its size. “Though I’ve never seen a meteorite ore of this size before. Most of them are single handed longswords. No more than thirty-five to forty inches for the blade length. This puppy is a good sixty inches in blade length. With a total length of six-eight inches. Those are the main reasons this sword would be classified as a bastard sword.”

“Lee is it normal for bastard swords to be engraved with a name or some such?” Kathern asked him politely.

“It depends on who the blade was forged for to begin with ma’am. If it was made for a King or King’s Champion it would be given a name. Excalibur is a great example of such a sword. The same as Durandal, Ascalon, Durindale, and Caliburn. Those are five of the great Holy Swords said to belong to the Holy Roman Church. There is supposed to be another Holy Sword that is the sibling of Excalibur named Galatine that was welded by Sir Gawain, but that has never been confirmed.” Lee looked down at the bastard sword in hands. “Though there has always been rumors of a seventh Holy Sword. It is said to be the cursed sibling of the two. A bastard sword that was black as the night sky on a moonless night. According to legends it was welded by Morgana Le Fay. The blade was said to fest on the souls of her enemies.”

“Can it truly be the Stormbringer?” David whispered as he took the sword from Lee. Even as David took his time to examine the finely wrought rune-encrusted bastard sword he knew that he held the actual sword that fantasy was based on. The blade was at least five feet long from the hilt. The hilt itself was embedded with a large spherical ruby that looked like a dragon’s eye. The blade was made entirely from an unearthly, black metal, and is etched with mysterious runes so ancient that David lacked the knowledge to decipher them. As he turned the blade in his hands the runes be seemed to glow and change color, cycling from red and purple to blue.

David knew from his fantasy books three things about this blade. The first of which is the blade would often wreath in a black light and dark fire for no earthly reason. Second the blade give off an unholy scream in battle. Lastly any being slain with Stormbringer would have his or her soul leeched out of them. To hold this weapon of both legend and fantasy was something he both dreamed of and feared. The sheer power this sword represented was beyond imagination. David looked over at his mother chuckling as he ran his hand down the flat of the blade. “Mom I think we finally got your proof that Morgana Le Fey was no ordinary human woman.”

“I do believe you’re correct dear.” Kathern snarked just before the blade blazed with a dark blue flame and the runes glowed a blood red. “David did you do that?”

“Um… no. It did that all on its own mom.” David answered honestly then looked at the glowing blood red runes. For some unearthly reason he was struck with the meaning behind those runes. In a voice just barely above a whisper David felt compelled to speak those mystical words aloud. “By Morgana’s hand I invoke the ancient packet with the spirits of time and space. Throw open your doors oh scared Avalon. Welcome home your New Mistress.”

As David completed the last verse a black portal opened in the center of the lab. The sudden pull from the rushing air drew first Kathern, then David senior, followed by David junior through the portal. The last to be yanked through was Lee. The only person to survive the portal opening was Steve Wells one of the three grad students that worked in the restoration lab. Unknowingly he summed up the situation with four small words. “Oh shit! Not good.”

-----tbc-----

up
423 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great Start!

I always love how you find ways to mix history and mythologies into your works. Looking forward to reading more of this!

had a teacher

wolfjess7's picture

I had a teacher who was part of the DoD contingent in Japan who was helping me gain my US citizenship point out to me that history is often affected by mythology. I know that sounds crazy but I have found that it is true. A great many of our greatest military minds were students of ancient mythologies. Examples of this are Patton, Montgomery, Sherman, Grant, Lee, Kerensky, Napoleon just to name a few. Also a great number of our political leaders have been students of mythology.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

TV

Is this based on the Disney movie?

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Yes and no.

wolfjess7's picture

While i know the movie you're talking about. This story is not based on this movie alone. There are more than 6 movies based on the Camelot and Avalon legends. The one that inspired this story the most is the 1951 MGM production Fate of Morgana Le Fey that had a very poor showing at the box office and was pulled just 2 weeks after its release.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Also, keep in mind that the

Also, keep in mind that the Disney movies are VERY sanitized, and usually based more off of T.H. White's "The Once and Future King" than any of the 'standard' stories.

Not to mention the change in the stories over the centuries - Lancelot du Lac, for example, being added by (a) French bards to add a 'French' flavour to the story. Keep in mind that Normandy was British longer than it was French. Richard the Lion Hearted (Richard Cœur de Lion / Richard Le quor de Lion (norman french) ) was Norman, and probably spoke no English while he ruled.

So, the Pen Dragon (Welsh for 'Chief Leader' or War Lord) is only used for Uther, but Uther may actually have been Arthur, because of language mistranslations. So, to properly understand "King Arthur of the Britons" you'd have to understand that he was probably Welsh.

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/celtic/jce/uther.html (just some random references)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Some Arthurian academics propose.

wolfjess7's picture

There is another alternative chain of thought concerning Arthur Pendragon proposed by certain Arthurian academics. While not widely accepted these academics believe that Arthur was in truth a Roman General during the Roman Empire around 105-127 AD. This Arthur was believed to be from Britain and the illegitimate son of Queen Boudica. Though this theory has never been proven.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

It could easily have been a

It could easily have been a local sub-ruler from the Roman occupation without having any relationship to Boudica.

It's always fun to surmise, but likely we'll never know, at least not in this life.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Time has always been the enemy.

wolfjess7's picture

Professor Daniel Howel of archaeology once said that Time and legend has always been the enemy to finding the truth to history. As hard as we try we can never know exactly what happen more than a 1000 years ago. Even now in a time when we keep records of everything that happens. There are still massive gaps in our historical records. A great example of this is everything that happen during the founding of the United States. That was only 245 years ago. There are 100's of American and British heroes that have been lost to history. The only reason I use this example is because it is the same one used by Prof Howel. As for Arthur being a local sub-ruler of the Roman occupation that was ruled also not ruled out. Though the Arthurian experts have placed the probability of this as being lower than one of Boudica's relations for some reason. Even though most archaeologists discount most of the Arthurian legends out of hand as being fantasy.

To be honest when I first started my research into this story I found more contradictions than anything else. The BIGGEST contradictions concerned the woman known as Morgana Le Fey. For starters there is her name. The Anglo version is Morgant Rheged. It was changed to Morgana Le Fey during the French retelling of the Arthur legend. It was also during this retelling that she was cast in the role of the villain. I have found that many of our greatest legends have been twisted to fit the ideals of the times they are told in. Another example of this is Warlord Alexander Kerensky a Cossack warrior from the Eastern Russian Empire. Some Historians say he was the rightful ruler of Russia who stepped aside for his cousin Alexander the Great and others believe him to be Alexander the Great.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

We're finding out more and

We're finding out more and more about the past, at least in the US, because of people digitizing ancestors diaries, etc. One of the problems is that the entrenched educators are often so firm in their beliefs that they don't actually care what real people thought, historically. The American (un)Civil War being a HUGE problem child in that regard. I even run into similar things with people trying to teach things that I know are wrong, because my family lived through it. (my great grandmother lived until I was into my early teens, and was born prior to the 20th century, and so forth).


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

It's Rhodes not Roads

I might be mistaken but a Roads Scholar would be a Nomad Member of the Hells Angels.

Speech to text

I’m pretty sure she uses speech to text

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Excellent

db-guru's picture

I love your stories and as usual this one has pulled me in from the very beginning.

"Natives who beat drums to drive off evil spirits are objects of scorn to smart
Americans who blow horns to break up traffic jams." Mary Ellen Kelly

Can't wait

Thor: "Another!" his rang out across the room, as his glass shattered against the floor.
(great work, looking forward to the following chapters)

you've got me hooked

Michael Moorcock is one of my all-time favorite authors, so using Stormbringer means I'm in till the end of the story.

DogSig.png

Stormbringer and Moorcock

wolfjess7's picture

While Michaeel Moorcock did bring Stormbring to the attention of the fantasy reading community. He wasnt the only writer to tell a story of the Black Sword. It is the weapon of the Eternal Champion, but it is not always borne by him or her. The Black Sword has been called by many names in its different manifestations across the Multiverse, including Stormbringer, Mournblade/Ravenbrand, Kanajana, the Cold Sword, the Dragon Sword, and Murakamo-No-Tsurugi (Japanese for Sword of the Gathering Clouds). There are even references in certain holy texts that before his fall from grace Lucifer Morningstar the First among God's Angels welded the Black Sword making it one of the Seven Great Holy Swords.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Juliie O

Wolfjess,

It was nice of you to include a scholarly homage to Julie O’s Ambition. Is David going to experience a fate similar to Harry Thorn? A very intriguing beginning. Thank you.

Julie O’s Ambition

Glad someone else notice this. Love a sneak mention of another great authors character too.

Another great start Jess!

Patrick Malloy's picture

I've always enjoyed the Arthurian tales and I believe this is going to be a good one.

Patrick Malloy

WOW

What an amazing start. I can't wait for the rest.

ShadowCat

This is a very interesting

Beoca's picture

This is a very interesting starting point. Hard to go too much further than that.

So Geeked!

ls49's picture

Okay, I'm totally geeked on a new story from WolfJess, and this one has already sucked me in (pun with the story fully intended!). I can't wait to read more and see where this goes. I love her reluctant TG themes, and this one looks like it's going to be a doozie.

Thank you so much for sharing your creative mind with us, it's an honor!

Oops!

Jamie Lee's picture

Why is it there's always on teacher who just has to be the school ass? They refuse to accept any truths but their own, which often turn out to be so far from the actual truth they might as well be on the sun.

Just after the ruins on that sword lit up, was it the ruins that compelled David to recite those words? Or is there something else involved? Regardless, OOPS, they've gone somewhere they weren't expecting. Sort of blows the theory, you can't get there from here.

Others have feelings too.