Wolff of the Endless Waltz -chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


Wolff of the Endless Waltz


For 35yrs the border between the Human Empire and Gorgonzola Empire as remained mostly peaceful. The citizens for the Human Empire of this border region are loyal to the last man, woman, and child to the Empire. It was on one of these worlds that gave birth to a legend. The world of Cerberus 6 is one of the harshest worlds within the Empire. One so harsh that only it could claim to be the birth world of James J. Owens, the most feared of Death Dealers. A world that is even now poised to give birth to a new legendary warrior. One who shall be baptized in the blood of the Empire’s enemies. Robert Wolff youngest great grandchild of James Owens’ sister Cecilia Owens.

Chapter 1
Goulcrest The City of Ebony, Apollo 6, Highlands System, Gorgonzola border zone: 0545 local time

The bed if you could call it that was cold as frozen concrete. Try as I might I hadn’t been able to get more than half-hour of sleep all night long. I knew that I screwed up. I shouldn’t have been in that bar. All of us kids at Sky Reach Orphanage knew the place was a cop bar. I thought that now that I was eighteen, I could celebrate with a beer legally. I thought going to a cop bar that I wouldn’t get into trouble. I thought wrong. After living down the block from the place for the last nine years I should have known better.

The bang of a nightstick against the Caflese bars let me know the cell block guard was waking everyone in the holding cells. “Alright you slobs wake your worthless asses up. Judge Jäger will only hold your sentencing for a Cheesehead attack. Even then she just might send your ass to the frontline to get shot instead of an honest citizens.”

The minute I hear I’ll be going before Judge Jäger I try to stop the guard. “Yo! Guard! I want a new Judge.”

“Oh, you do, do ya. And just why should I even bother with talking to the prosecutor about getting you before another judge street rat?” The guard snarled in my face. “You some kind of High Family dipshit?”

“No. I just need to go before another judge.” I was really trying my best to avoid going before Judge Emmy Jäger. There was no way I wanted to go before the same judge twice in one week. Especially the one who had just declared my emancipation. When the guard gave me a dirty look I sighed. “Look Judge Jäger just declared me emancipated two days ago. I don’t want to disappoint her by showing up before her on criminal charges like this.”

“Sorry kid. I feel ya, but it’s the weekend and she’s the only judge hearing arraignments.” I slumped against the bars hearing this. The guard must have had a soft spot because he leaned in close so that I would be the only one hearing him. “Look kid. I’ll do you a favor. I’ll make sure that you’re the last one called before the judge.”

“Thanks, officer. I really appreciate it. Any other advice?” I asked him.

“Keep your head down and mouth shut until called. When you get in front of the judge it’s all ‘yes ma’am, no ma’am’. If she offers you a deal take it.” The guard told me bluntly. “Do you know how deep in the shit you are?”

“No sir. I don’t. What am I looking at?” I asked him.

“Assault and battery, assault and battery of a peace officer, disturbing the peace, and resisting arrest, for starters, kid. You’re looking at ten to fifteen at the minimum.” The guard gave me a soft look. “If you got some kind of string you can pull. I suggest you use it.”

“Thanks, officer. Looks like I get to be a guest of the Department of Corrections for a while.” I sighed and leaned against the cold metal of the cell bars. “What happens next?”

“You’ll go from here down to final processing. There they’ll take a DNA sample. Run it to make sure you have no active warrants. Then they march you over to arraignment. Whatever you do don’t piss off the other prisoners.” The guard stepped back and continued on down the cell block. Bagging on the cell doors as he went. I stepped back away from the bars and waited for the door to open. I knew that I would follow the guard’s advice to the letter.

When the door to my cell finally opened, I waited until the last prisoner walked past me before failing into line. Everything happened just the way the guard said it would. There was one notable situation that occurred during my final processing. The technician who took my DNA sample waved the senior guard over to him after he ran my sample. They had a very hushed conversation between themselves while pointing over at me every few seconds. Finally, the guard waved me over to me and asked. “What’s your full name son?”

“Robert Edward Wolff, sir.” I sigh and wait for the usual horseshit to come for my last name. I start counting down from ten. I don’t even make to eight before the ‘look’ comes. The one that says they remember who my parents were. “Yah I’m a real fracking disappointment. Where do I go next?”

“Follow the red line on the floor kid.” The guard tells me with a pitying look in his eyes. I don’t even get out of the room good when I hear. “Damn. Poor kid. Losses his parents to the Cheeseheads and what does that slug Governor do? Throws him into the very orphanage his parents died protecting.”

“Was that really their kid, boss?” Was the last thing I heard as I walked away from the final processing room. I really hate it when those in charge give me looks of pity. If they really fracking cared I wouldn’t have spent the last nine years of my life in the city orphanage after my grandmother died leaving all alone in life. Not that it matters. I won’t be on this backwater shithole planet for much longer. If I can get the judge to overlook last night’s bar fight or grant me bail.

If it’s only bail, then I’ll have to move fast. I know there are at least four Clipper Class dropships ready for liftoff today. I just need to sign on as crew for just one of them. Then pray that the police don’t come looking for me. If I can’t then I’ll have to stowaway. Either way I can only hope that Judge Emmy Jäger doesn’t decide to hold me over for trial.

By the time I reach the courtroom most of the other screwups had already been before Judge Emmy ‘the hatchet’ Jäger. Ice cold bitch of the courtroom. There was four prisoners a head of me. I decided to try and make myself as small as possible at the back of the courtroom. The bailiff called the next case, and I watched the guy from the cell next to mine head up. Jäger didn’t waste time with the man. She set his bail at fifty-thousand credits cash or bond then dismissed his case. She repeated this same ruling three more times. It seems that Judge Jäger has a thing for the number fifty thousand.

“Next case.” Judge Jäger called out.

“People verses Robert Wolff. Two counts assault and battery, one count of assault and battery of a peace officer, one count of disturbing the peace, and one count of resisting arrest. Docket number ending in seven, seven, three, nine. Your honor.” The court clerk called out.

As I walked towards my Public Defender the man stopped me in my tracks with his opening comments. “Your honor the defense requests a continuance.”

“Okay counselor. On what grounds?” Judge Jäger asked as one of the courtroom officers stopped me just before the rail.

“It seems that there are extenuating circumstances surrounding my client, your honor. Ones that require a third party be present before any legal concerns can be addressed.” The Public Defender explained.

“Okay counselor. Just who is this third party?” Judge Jäger asked the question that was on my own mind.

“Your honor may I approach the bench? I don’t think we want this aired in open court records.” My lawyer said instead of answering the judge’s question much to my confusion.

“You may approach.” The skinny assed knuckle dragging little shit rushed to the bench right alongside the ADA. The three held a whispered conversation. When they broke Judge Jäger pounded her gavel on the bench. “Continuance is granted. The Defendant is to be held over until Tuesday morning. Court is adjourned until that time.”

I knew that this was fracking crazy. “Objection your Honor. You cannot hold me over without filing charges. Pursuant to Parker v Elise no person can be held without due process of the law in a timely manner. Either file the charges or dismiss them and release me. As for the jack-o-lope who calls himself my lawyer he’s fired. I’ll represent myself.”

“Overruled Mister Wolff.” Judge Jäger answered back with a sly smile. “Though I must say that your studies of the law have served you will. While Parker v Elise does support your initial argument, it does not however overrule People v Poe. Where the people can hold an individual for an undefined period of time due to third party interests.”

“What third party honor?” I demanded.

“It seems that your cousin needs to be notified of your arrest young man. Until such time as they or their representative can be made available for your court appearance.” Judge Jäger informed me with a grin. “Oh, and Robert your argument was will founded for spur of the moment. I’ll order the guards to allow you access to the jail’s law library. This way you can prepare your defense for when you next appear before this court.”

I wanted to raise a bitch fit, but I knew that Judge Jäger would just overrule me again. Though I will give the woman this much. She is beyond reproach and extremely honorable. When I first challenged the courts for my emancipation, she rejected my application. Then she went and sent me her personal law books to study. With the pertaining materials bookmarked. I learned all kinds of court procedure, case law, everything I needed to know to win my appeal and freedom from the orphanage. As I was being led back to my hold cell in the jail something the judge said finally pinged in the back of my mind. “What damned cousin is she talking about?”

Planet Hades, Death Gates System
Joan Eunice Smith School for Young Ladies, 1530 local time

The four heavily armed guards standing in the corners of the classroom would normally cause more than a little commotion in a schoolroom. At JESS they are just part of the scenery. Namely because of two teachers. Then again, most schools don’t have a Dowager Empress and War Princess for teachers. After the Emperor James took the throne Empress Maiha and Princess Alison retired to Hades to take up positions as a teachers at the Joan Eunice Smith School for Young Ladies. To the students, parents, and teachers at the school having twenty-four members of the Royal Guard walking the hallways quickly became an everyday and extremely welcomed sight.

The twenty-four members of the Hellhounds had become more than just bodyguards in the school. Those not watching over their charges could often be found acting as substitute teachers, tutors, mentors, and student guidance counselors. They had become as much a part of the teaching staff as the Empress and her wife over the last two years.

When the bell rang signaling the end of class Maiha turned away from the chalkboard. “We’ll pick up here tomorrow class. Please read over the chapter for open question period tomorrow. Now go on and get out of here.”

The class of thirty-two girls stood gathered their books and study materials before bowing to Maiha on their way out of the classroom. Once the last student was out the door Maiha turned to the man standing next to the door. “Shut the door Spider. Talk to me Hound dog. What asshole has decided to frack up a prefect day for me? Don’t they know that it’s James’ ass on the throne now days not mine. I mean come on damned it. I’m retired.”

“Sorry your majesty, but this one time that you need to handle the problem.” The Captain for her personal guard told her. “Personally.”

“What the hell happened Captain Marks?” It was the tone of her Captains voice that told Maiha whatever had happened was a family matter. “Who decided to come after my family this time?”

“Not so much your family majesty, but your grandfather’s family.” The Captain explained. “It seems that your second or third cousin is in trouble with the law on Apollo six.”

“Wait a minute. I don’t have any cousins. The last time I checked none of my grandfather’s family was still alive.” Maiha knew that the only sister of James J. Owens died during the Black November invasion by the Gorgonzola Empire eighty years ago. At least that was what the reports said.

“According to the report from one Captain Andrew White of the third Special Operations Recon team, twelfth Airborne Ranger Battalion, forty-third Airborne Border Division, the Scarlet Hellions. You do have a living relative on Apollo six, majesty.” Captain Marks said as he walked over to the classroom printer. He pulled the printed-out report from the tray before handing it over to Maiha. “This is not a joke, Wave Dancer.”

Maiha gave her Captain a sideways glance before reading the printed report. “Holy shit! Has this been verified?”

“Full authentication ma’am.” Marks told her as he removed his helmet. “Ma’am, I had the coms shack run the codes three times. It’s real.”

“Has Princess Alison been informed of this report yet?” Maiha asked.

“Not at this time ma’am. I felt that it would be best to bring this to your attention first before having Captain Carter passing the report onto her.” Marks said with more authority than a normal Death Dealer Captain. Marks took a deep breath before asking. “Permission to speak freely ma’am?”

“Marks how many times have I told you that none of you have to ask that question when we are alone.” Maiha grumbled slightly. She hated having to break in a new security detail every five years.

“Until the day that I’m no longer wearing the uniform or in the grave, ma’am.” Marks chuckled at the cross-eyed look Maiha gave him. “I suggest that we have Captain White secure your relative for now. I don’t know the man personally, but the Scarlet Hellions are one of the best units on the boarder. I know that First Lieutenant Howard and First Sergeant Doobs are with the twelfth Airborne Ranger Battalion now. I can tap them as well.”

Maiha’s years of command kicked in and began to issue orders while planning for a hostel rescue mission if necessary. “Use the Storm Dancers Codes, Captain. Secure that person. Shut down any fracking criminal investigation unless the charges are Capital offenses. Contact the spaceport. Have Captain Nelson warm up the Dragon’s Wing and get the Viper’s on hot alert. Have the com-shack alert Admiral Tiriana Kriswarin aboard the James Owens and have the Matriarch Star Divisions on standby for a hot jump. Tell the Admiral we’re heading for the border and Apollo six. I’ll deal with my wife.”

“No need love.” Alison said as she stepped through the door to Maiha’s classroom. “Your students came to me when your door was closed. I take it that we have a royal shit storm on our hands.”

“Captain clear and lock the room, please.” Maiha ordered. The four-man detail followed her orders and left the Dowager couple to themselves. Once they were alone. “Alice, I have a great nephew on Apollo six.”

“Holy shit! You’re not joking, are you? I thought that you were the only surviving member of your family Kitten?” Alice rattled off.

“I’m dead serious Pussycat. It seems that my baby sister survived the Cheesehead attack eighty years ago. How I have no fracking idea. Dornwich took a direct hit from a one-ninety orbital bombardment. It left nothing but a ten-mile crater behind. Before you ask, I read the reports of the attack and knew that no one could have survived that kind of blast.” Maiha sighed. “I should have double checked.”

“Maiha, you did nothing wrong. You were what ten, twelve, systems away on the other side of the Empire when the attack happened?” Alice asked.

“More like dealing with the Wingnuts trying to overrun Soliv Prime at the time. It wasn’t until six months later before I even knew that Apollo six was attacked. Another five before I knew that Dornwich was turned into a big hole in the ground.” Maiha sighed heavily as she thought about her home world. A world she hadn’t set foot on in more than a century. “Apollo six is a shithole of a planet. It will chew you up and shit you out. Never giving you a second thought. If my sister survived and had a family then I owe her.”

“How sure are they that this person is related to you?” Alice asked.

“If this DNA report is correct. There is a ninety-eight percent chance that this young man is the great grandson of my kid sister Cecilia Owens.” Maiha said as she waved the report in her hands. Maiha almost broke down with the next words she spoke. “Baby I need to go. I have to know what happened to my sister. How she survived. How many children she had.”

“Go love. Take care of your family. Bring them home.” Alice ordered. “I’ll have Sims cover your classes until you get back.”

Maiha gave Alice a kiss and hug. “Tell mama I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

“Go I’ll handle things here. Take Vicky with you. Like the old saying goes. It is better to have a gun and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.” Alice said with a friendly smile.

“You know that I am basically a walking, talking, breathing, weapons system. Most likely the deadliest woman alive.” Maiha asked with her own smirk.

Two hours later the Empyreal shuttle Dragon’s Wing was lifting off headed for the Shinigami battle platform James J. Owens. Of all the Shinigami battle platforms only Ryuk matched the ship named for the most feared of Death Dealers. Two hours later the massive ship and its accompanying fleet ripped holes in the fabric of time and space. It would take three days for the fleet to make the transit from the Death Gates System to the border zone with the Gorgonzola Empire. For Maiha Nakatoma those three days would have her walking the corridors at all hours of the day. One thought would continually haunt her during the flight. How could she have left her sister to die alone on the hellhole known throughout the Empire as Apollo Six.

Goulcrest The City of Ebony, Apollo 6, Highlands System, Gorgonzola border zone: 1745 local time
Lower East Xaimeed Police District Station House 12

Captain Andrew White walked through the door of the Lower East Xaimeed police district station house. He was followed by First Lieutenant Howard and First Sergeant Doobs hot on his heels. The desk Sergeant took one look at the trio and grabbed the phone. There wasn’t one man, woman, or child on all of Apollo that hadn’t seen the dress uniform for the Death Dealers. To have three Death Dealers marching into his station at once meant trouble.

“Sir get down here. We got trouble. Yes sir. We got two officers and a First Sergeant from the twelfth Rangers. Yes sir. I’m positive of their ranks and unit. No sir we don’t have anyone from the Hellions in the tombs. Yes sir. I’m positive. Right. I’ll let the Captain know that you’re on your way down sir.” The desk Sergeant hung up the phone and looked Captain White in the eyes. “Captain Wallace is on his way down as we speak sir.”

“Thank you, Sergeant. Can you also contact the ADA for me please?” White asked the desk sergeant politely.

“I think we need to wait for my Captain before contacting the ADA sir. My I know what’s brought you here today. I know that we currently do not have any Death Dealers in our cells.” The Sergeant asked bluntly.

“I know that none of our troops are in your holding cells Sergeant. There is someone else that is of importance though that is in your holding cells.” Captain White explained for the desk Sergeant.

“Excuse me sir, but the only person in the holding cells is a nobody street rat arrested last night for fighting in the Club and Cuff. I still don’t understand why Judge Jäger didn’t just throw his ass behind bars in the county lockup. Instead I’ve got to put on extra guards for the weekend to cover his ass.” The desk Sergeant bitched with real honesty.

“Sir, that might be the asset we were sent to secure.” The Lieutenant told White from behind him. “According to the description the asset is an orphan.”

“That maybe Lieutenant.” White answered First Lieutenant Kathy Howard under his breath. “But until we lay eyes on for conformation say nothing.”

“Yes sir.” Kathy Howard answered back just as quietly. She may not like this mission, but she would follow orders. She wasn’t the only one who was on edge. First Sergeant Jacob Doobs was also edgy. The Captain had walked into their individual units and pulled them for a mission with no notice. All he had told them was that this mission carried a Black Storm Chaser warning. Meaning it had come directly from Empress Maiha. As the only three personnel in all of the 43rd Airborne Border Division with clearance for the mission they had been tasked to carry out the orders.

At that time, the mag-lift doors open and a middle aged, potbellied, balding, man wearing the uniform of a police captain exited. “Yeats what the bloody hell is going on in my station? Where are these damned Black Shirts? And why are there three bloody damned pixies in Station house?”

All three of the Death Dealers bristled at the derogatory names used by the police captain. The fact that each one was an Elf was as clear as the nose on your face. Their uniforms clearly marked them as Death Dealers not members of the racist Jackal Association. Then again to most of the border zone citizens seeing elves in the Death Dealers was still a rarity. Hell seeing an elf anywhere in the border zones was a rarity except for along Highwinds. The three Death Dealer elves had very deferent opinions of the man.

Captain White just sighed as he was used to this kind of attitude from some of the local police. He’s been station on Apollo six for eighteen months now. And in the nine times he had to bail a trooper. He’s has always got the same racist attitude form some Irish throwback beat cop. Apollo six may have been founded by the Greeks in the golden age of exploration but they were close to failure when the first Irish settlers landed. Bringing with them their old-world traditions and prejudices. Because of this two thirds of the Apollo citizens were Scott-Irish Protestants.

First Lieutenant Kathy Howard was shocked by the blatant bigotry shown by the man. She had only been on Apollo six for three months now. Until now she had nothing but positive encounters with the civilians. Hell, she’d even been on a few dates with some of the men from around Camp Crescent Moon. She had been warn by her CO that some of the police still had the old Irish Protestant prejudices from Earth Prime.

Of the three only First Sergeant Jacob Doobs knew what was really going on with the police captain. He had seen it before more times than Captain White. So, when White didn’t move to address the situation Doobs did. “Listen hear copper. We ain’t got time t’ be mucking about with your petty bullshit.”

The police captain smiled and held out his hand to the First Sergeant. “Sorry about the attitude Captain, Lieutenant, had to be sure who you said you were. If you’ll follow me, please?”

The three Death Dealers all smiled at the very sudden change in the Captain’s demeaner. Once they were in the mag-lift and the doors were closed the Captain hit the down button instead of the up button. “I presume that you’re here for young Mister Wolff.”

“You presume correctly. What do you know about the situation, Captain?” White asked the man.

“Not much, Captain. Only that when the DNA tech ran the young man’s sample it came back with an Empyreal Red Flag. This information was locked down, the boy’s Public Defender, ADA, and arrangement Judge was notified. The Judge granted a continuance with a hold order, after that his PDA notified the Judge Advocate’s office. They took it from there. All I got was orders to lock down everything under the sun concerning the boy. Along with orders to keep him under wraps until someone from Death Dealer Command showed up.” The Captain gave White, Howard, and Doobs a hard look. “That was at ten-hundred this morning. Since then two other groups have tried to claim the kid.”

“So that little show upstairs was for the troops?” White asked in confusion.

“No, sir. The Captain here was testing us. I have the feeling that those other two groups were leaked the information on our asset.” Doobs answered. “Anyone else would have blown their cover at being called Black Shits or fairies. We owe the Captain here a major favor.”

“I don’t know who that boy is related to, Captain White.” The Police Captain started off with. “Until this morning he was just your normal street running orphan with the typical small-time record to go along with that but all that change this morning. We never had to run his DNA because what he did wasn’t enough to really send the lad before the Judges. You know stuff like, run a three card Monty game, con an out of towner for their taxi fare credits, a little underage drinking, snagging a candy bar for one of the younger kids. All minor bullshit he was never a real troublemaker.”

“Then what changed Captain. It sounds like you know the kid.” Howard asked.

“The boy turned eighteen yesterday. He went to a local copper’s bar to celebrate. According to the officers that were there everything was going smoothly until a visiting cop started in on Robert. Words were exchanged and then fits started flying. No one knows who throw the first punch between them, but things got out of hand fast. As Robert was the only civilian in the bar at the time the responding officers placed him under arrest until after the investigation. Mostly because the boy is a flight risk.” He told them as the doors of the lift opened. “Welcome to the holding block, lady and gents or as we call them the tombs.”

“Damn how big is this place?” White asked in amazement.

“We can accommodate fifty prisoners comfortably, seventy-five if we double up in some of the larger cells.” The captain explained then pointed down one hallway. “Your asset is this way.”

“Before we dig our asset out of his gray bar hotel room. What else can you tell us about the boy?” Doobs asked the Captain.

“His parents are local legends and heroes. They died protecting the Sky Reach orphanage. The same orphanage that raised him after their deaths at the hands of a Cheesehead M-forty-seven Walker Bulldog AI tank.” The Captain sighed. “That was nine years ago during the last Cheesehead raid.”

“Damn sir. I thought this was a stable sector.” Howard said in shock.

“We are, Lieutenant.” The police captain chuckled. “At least compared to some of the other sectors. They only try us every twenty to thirty years.”

The look on the police captain’s face said more than his words. “You knew the boys parents personally. Why did you let him go to the orphanage?”

“I had no choice Captain White. He had no other family to take him in and worse of all. He was the son of two heroes. Heroes that weren’t liked by the powers that be. Then there is that pesky law concerning war orphaned children going only to blood relations. My wife and I wanted to take him in, but the local politicians wanted the boy to just go away.” The police captain sighed. “He was an uncomfortable reminder of the boy’s father and the political power that his father could call on.”

“Who were his parents?” Doobs asked hoping that the Captain won’t answer.

“Majors Thomas and Kristine Wolff PDF.” The captain answered bluntly. Seeing the look of anger on the First Sergeant’s face he sighed. “I take it that you’ve hear of them Top.”

“There’s not one man or woman in my company who hasn’t heard of them. What we didn’t know was that they had a kid. If we had, he would never have been in that orphanage. Law or no law. Damned what the local politicians wanted.” First Sergeant Jacob Doobs snarled and popped his knuckles. “And we would have expressed our displeasure with them as well.”

The meaning and threat behind the First Sergeant’s words was clear as day to the other three. Thomas and Kristine Wolff may not have been Death Dealers, but no one fracks with military dependents and gets away with it. The captain smiled as the same sentiment could be seen in the eyes of the other Death Dealers. “Then I’m glade that you’re here to take the boy off my hands.”

“Just following orders Captain Wallace. I will tell you this much. If two other groups have tried to secure our asset. Then you got a fracking leak somewhere in your department.” Captain White snarled. “One that I suggest you plug and do so with extreme prejudice.”

“Understood, Captain. Don’t worry it’ll get taken care of before the end of the week. Even if I have flip the courthouse on its roof and shack it.” He turned and walked down the hall calling out to the holding cell guard. “Stevens, open twenty-four and go get your dinner.”

Holding Cell 24, Lower East Xaimeed Police District Station House 12

I spent my day going over the law books that Judge Jäger sent over. I was more confused now. Then when Judge Jäger overruled my objection. The case she pointed out for holding me until this mysterious third party arrived. None it made any sense to me. The case involved a missing High Family hire and the Empyreal Throne. I had no High Family ties. My mom and dad were everyday common people. They were members of the PDF Reserve Forces. Other than that, they were just normal people.

Dad was a general contractor building decently priced homes. Mom ran his office and kept the books. They always did their two weekends a month, and one month a year for the PDF Army Reserves. Dad was a light Infantry anti-APS and antitank specialist, and mom was an EOD expert. The two of them knew how to destroy armored vehicles in very fun and interesting ways. They had even taught me a few of those tricks. Tricks that I’ve used to make things easier for feeding the younger kids at the orphanage. It’s amazing what falls off of fresh food and milk delivery trucks.

I know that I broke more than a few laws helping out the orphanage. But the donations don’t always cover the monthly expenses. I wasn’t going to stand by and let the younger kids go hungry. Not when I can help it and I could. I knew that I had always cut things pretty close to the line. No let me correct that. I knew where the line was and never ignored it. Especially not when and where the local District Police Captain is involved. The man is straight as they come.

The sound of my cell door opening drew my attention away from the law book I was studying. I expected to see the holding cell guard. Not Police Captain Wallace with three Death Dealers. This was not good. “Come to say, ‘I told you so’ Captain Wallace? Or are you going to finally ship my ass off to Camp Wild Horse Detention Center?”

“None of the above, lad. These people here need to have a talk with you.” With that Wallace stepped out of the way. “Let’s take this upstairs to my office. You know where to go Robert.”

I just sighed and walked out of my cell. The three Death Dealers and Captain Wallace fell in behind me as I headed for the mag-lift. None of them said one word during the ride up to Wallace’s office. I was more than a little surprised to find the ADA, my Public Defender, and Judge Jäger waiting for us in Captain Wallace’s office. They were not alone. There was an Inspector for the Office of Education and Cultural History standing off to one side. If the OECH was here, then something shitty was in the wind and it was looking for somewhere to land. With my luck was going I was the landing zone.

“Is this the young man in question?” The OECH Inspector asked Judge Jäger without preamble. He didn’t even offer his name in introduction. The worthless cock bite.

“He is Inspector Marson. Do you have the portable scanner?” Judge Jäger asked of the man in a harsh and commanding tone.

“Right here Judge.” He man said as he placed his briefcase on Captain Wallace’s desk before opening it. “Place your hand in the scanner.”

I did as ordered. I felt a slight prick from a needle then some heat as the laser scanner covered my palm and fingers. When the scanner was done there was a bell tone. Followed by an 8.5x11 plastic sheet popping out the side. I watched as the Inspector took the sheet and began reading. The Inspector for the OECH turned to Judge Jäger.

“It is confirmed your Honor. The boy is the great grandson of Cecilia Owens. Sister to First High Lord James J. Owens, grandfather of the Empress Maiha Mana Nakatoma.” He turned and faced the rest of us. “Ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a true lost heir. An heir to the Owens Clan.”

You could have hit me with a giant River Behemoth and had less of an impact. I’ve always known that great grandma Cecilia was an Owens but not the sister of Death. I mean come on here people. Who in their right fracking mind claims to be related to the meanest fracking Death Dealer in their history. A man so feared that even the enemies of the Empire called him Death. I know that I won’t, not without verifiable DNA proof to back it up. I’m not that fracking crazy by a long-damned shot.

Captain White put mine and the others’ feelings into words. “Oh, frack me in a back alley with a steel dildo!”

“Captain are you and your two colleges prepared to take the young man into military custody?” Judge Jäger asked him bluntly. “If you are then do so now. I want him out of my jurisdiction by sundown.”

“Understood ma’am. I understand that there is an ongoing investigation?” Captain White asked as I was still trying to wrap my head around the fact that my great granduncle was James J. Owens. The First High Lord of the Death Dealers. A man that was both feared and respected by both enemies and friends.

“Don’t worry Captain. I’ll quash, seal, and bury the investigation as far as the young man is concerned. I just need for him to tell me exactly what happened last night in that bar.” Captain Wallace told the Death Dealer.

“Captain Wallace it was nothing more than a fight between two drunkards. Leave it at that.” The ADA snapped for some reason.

“Not happening Counselor. I’ve known Robert for some time now. He may have a record for petty crimes, but nothing he has ever done points to violence. I also know that yesterday was his birthday. He had every legal right to be in that bar having a celebratory drink.” Captain Wallace snarled. “Do you have some other reason for silencing the boy?”

“It’s because the cock bit that sucker punched me is her fracking brother.” I snarled drawing everyone’s attention. “That’s right your Honor. ADA King’s little brother Detective James King threw the first punch. Right after he called my mother a Galaxy Blue street whore.”

“He Called Major Kristine Owens y Wolff a drugged-up street whore!” Captain White snarled through clenched teeth. “He’s lucky he didn’t do that in front of my troopers. They would have skinned the little shit alive.”

“Just what does that mean Captain?” Judge Jäger asked lightly. “I hope that I won’t have a rash of military reeducations on my hands?”

“No ma’am. Death Dealers don’t roll that way. We don’t believe in reeducation just straight up life altering beat downs.” The First Sergeant snarled.

“Enough people! This is still my damned precinct.” Wallace shouted. Once everyone had regained their composure he smiled. I knew that smile. It meant that someone was up to no good for someone. “Now that that is settled. Robert please tell me exactly what happened from the beginning.”

“I went to the Club and Cuff to celebrate my birthday with the only people I know that will keep me out of trouble. Namely Captain Wallace’s first shift patrol officers. I know most of them. I was welcomed by Corporal Hess and his partner Officer Hopper. They bought me my first legal beer. After the other regulars found out it was my birthday, they all offered to buy me a beer. I was on my third beer when Detective King came in. I could tell by the way he was staggering he was already drunk. I was warned to stay away from him by Corporal Hess. I did what Hess told me. A little over a half hour later I went to the bathroom. On my way back I bumped into King. The man was way past drunk by this time. I apologized and went to walk around him. King shoved me back towards the restroom telling that I needed to give him a better apology. That I wasn’t sincere enough. I told him that he needed to go home and sleep it off. He got pissy, and in my face asking if I knew who he was. I told him that no I didn’t know and didn’t care. He gave me his name saying that by the time he got done with me his sister would have my ass on the first shuttle smoking for lunar Camp Boulder Fist. I told him that he really needed to back off and go home. He jabbed me in the chest then called my mother a Galaxy Blue whore. I warned him to back off again before I knocked his head off. This time he just hauled off and punched me in the face. After that, the fight was on. The next thing I know half the bar is jumping in on one side or the other. When the responding officers showed to break up the fight King was out cold, and nobody knew who threw the first punch. It came down to his word against mine.” I shrugged my shoulders. “You can tell who the coppers believed. I mean come on, who’s gonna take the word of a street rat over a Homicide Detective? Even if he was drunk at the time.”

“Where is Detective King now, Captain Wallace?” Judge Jäger demanded.

“Good damned question your honor.” Wallace looked over at me. “Well, Robert?”

“Don’t ask me sir. The last I saw of the cock bite he was being released by your responding officers, Captain Wallace.” I snarked then sighed at the reproachful look he threw my way at my flippancy. “Sorry sir.”

“You’re forgiven, Robert. Though why didn’t Hess and Hopper step forward on your behalf?” Wallace asked me.

“It might have something to do with them being occupied with the Medics sir. They caught some of the worst of the brawl. I know that Hess ended up needing stiches from a beer bottle to the back of the head. Hopper is going to have a major shiner come tomorrow morning. As for the other officers that joined in the party. Most of them were dealing with the IA rats that showed up.” I explained then blushed. “I really shouldn’t have gone to the Club and Cuff. People like me don’t belong around decent citizens.”

“That is where you are wrong young man.” Judge Jäger corrected me kindly. “When you first came before me with your petition for emancipation, I turned you down. Do you remember why?”

“You said that I failed to show due cause and failed to met the minimum requirements. After that you told me to go back and study the laws covering emancipation of minors.” I chuckled as I thought about that day. “You even told me the corresponding laws to read and study.”

“The next time you appeared before me not only did you prove your case, but you did so within the legal limits of the law on all counts. Then this morning not only were you able to raise a valid objection to being held in custody but were able to site a relevant case. Your understanding of the law has always impressed me, Robert. Though not nearly as much as your sense of duty, honor, integrity, and civic justice. More than a few of our citizens can learn a lesson from you.” Judge Jäger said in a kind and caring manner. “We know that you may have broken the law to help out the orphanage but nothing anyone could ever prove. If anyone has ever earned the right to sit down and have a drink with an officer of the law, it is you.”

“You may not be a pillar of civic virtue lad.” Wallace started giving me a sly smile. “But you’ve only ever ignored the laws that get in the way of helping others. That or teaching the rubs how to follow the black Queen.”

“Yeah! My three card Monty games have always been aboveboard. I never targeted locals. Tourist are free game for the fleecing.” I grumbled much to the amusement of Wallace and Jäger both. I turned to the Death Dealer Captain asking hopefully. “Any chance of you getting me out of here before I stick my foot deeper into my fat mouth Captain? I’ll sign a five-year enlistment package if you get me out of here in the next ten seconds.”

“Sorry, kid. No dice on the enlistment. Though you will be leaving with us.” The First Sergeant told me then turned to Jäger. “Anything else your Honor?”

“Just one. Case G, nine, eight, nine, seven, seven, three, nine, People verse Robert Wolff dismissed on the grounds of self-defense. He’s all yours Captain White. You may now take charge of the young man.” Judge Jäger gave me a friendly smile. “God speed, Robert. If you find your digs not to your liking or have any problems. Find your way back to me. I’ll be more than happy to write you a letter to law school I’ll even let you clerk under me until you’re ready for the bar. You’ll make one hell of a fine lawyer one day if you put your mind to it.”

“He’ll make a better copper your Honor. He’s too honest to be a lawyer.” Wallace wise cracked but I could tell he also meant what he said next. “I’ll be more than happy to give you a recommendation for the academy.”

“Thank you, Captain. You too, your Honor.” I told them both as I looked at the three Death Dealers. “Though you’ll probably never see me here again.”

“There is an old saying lad. Never say never.” Wallace told me with a grin. “You never know where life will take you. Thirty-seven years ago, I left Apollo six to face down a tyrant on the field of battle. I saw a great many terrible things before I came home. I also saw a great many wonderful things as well. I made lifelong friends and buried a few of them in Flanders Fields. When I finally came home, I knew what I was about and that I was a man. You stand before a great adventure. It is time for you to take your first steps into a far greater universe young Robert. Do us proud.”

“Yes, sir.” With that I left Captain Wallace’s office for the last time. As we rode down the mag-lift I turned to Captain White. “Okay Captain, we’re alone now. Just exactly who am I to the Empire and the Death Dealers? And don’t mean that bullshit of me being some kind of missing heir to the Owens clan. I fracking know better.”

“Kid, all we know is this. Me, the LT, and Top were given orders to haul ass down here and secure your ass. If there was any legal bullshit to make it go away.” White reached into his jacket pocket. He pulled out a small stack of folded papers. He opened them up and showed me the seal on the bottom of the last page. “These orders came down straight from the Dowager Empress herself kid. They’re all I need to kill everyone in that copper’s office and walkaway free as a bird. All I would have to do is fill a ten-forty-nine with my CO for discharging my firearms. I don’t know the whole situation kid, but these orders tell me all I need to know.”

“Kid as far as you being the heir for the Owens clan goes. If that monkey suited jackass Marson says you’re an heir to the Owens clan. Then you’re the damned heir to the Owens clan. Nobody screws the OECH. Especially after they run your DNA through their Database the way he did, kid.” Doobs told me with a friendly smile. “Trust me. I’ve seen this happen ten times over my eighteen years as a Death Dealer. Not once was the OECH Inspector involved has been or thought of being overruled by some Judge on a backwater planet.”

“He’s not the only one to have seen something like this happen kid. Two years ago, me and my old team were sent in to verify another High Family Heir. That was one of the hottest assignments I’ve ever had. Not to mention one of the funniest. Picked up this mousey little wisp of girl in a spaceport bar on Sounerth. You would never have known just by looking at her that she was the Heir to the once Outlawed High Family Gopherden.” Lieutenant Howard chuckled as she pointed to the orders and their seal. “That seal is only given out by the Royal Family. They’re enough to send the whole forty-third riding in here hot and loaded for Obsidian Shadow Hound.”

“What the hell is an Obsidian Shadow Hound?” I asked in confusion.

“It’s a cross between a Tomb Hound and a Shadow Hound. They’re the size of a Tomb Hound with the coloring of a Shadow Hound and are ten times as mean.” Doobs answered as the doors opened to the ground floor. “Captain you wait here with the kid. Me and the Lt will make sure the AO is clear.”

I watched as the two Death Dealers walked out the door deploying their combat armor and weapons. I looked over at the Captain to find he too had shifted into combat mode. For some reason this didn’t fill me with a whole lot of confidence just them. “Captain, I know this is going to sound crazy. Why are you and the others going all killing machine on me?”

“Because two other groups tried to get their hands on you before we showed up kid. That means two things in our book. One someone wants you for something. Mostly because you’re tied to the Owens clan. That means power or credits. Two someone wants you dead because you’re tied to the Owens clan. Most likely as some form of revenge or to keep control of something they have. Either way that means trouble for me and my people.” Captain White gave me a hard look. “Remember something kid. You frack with a Death Dealer be prepared to face your own death. Because as our moto goes. Death is delt by our hands. We got orders to get to back to base safe and sound. Nobody is going to keep us from carrying out those without getting bloody or dead.”

“Just what does that mean?” I asked. Only to have my answer come from outside in the form of two PPC thundercracks. Those thundercracks were quickly followed by the rumble of explosions. A few minutes later the Lt walked back through the door smiling. I had to ask. “What the hell was that about?”

“Just chasing off a few street rats that were too nosey for their own good, kid.” The look on the Lt’s face said more than words. I knew that it was a couple of kids that they chased off. “We’re all clear sir. Top’s warming up the Rattler as we speak.”

“Good. I don’t want to wait for that beast to get to operating temp.” Captain White said as he led us out the front door of the Police station. I still couldn’t believe that I was going to hitching a ride in a J5-7Q Rattlesnake Fire Support Vehicle. I mean come on people. Who in their right fracking mind uses a 75-ton armored assault vehicle as a damned taxi. I guess that Death Dealers really don’t play around.

-----tbc-----

up
529 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Once again my muse

wolfjess7's picture

Once again my muse has pointed her mighty PPC pin at my head and demanded a return to my first playground. This is the beginning of new story in the Death Dealer Universe. I hope you enjoy.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Your muse is hereby charged with punnery in the first degree

No doubt our young hero will find himself somehow connected to the Joan Eunice Smith School (for) Young Ladies, and then referred to as JESSYL Wolfe.

I couldn't have done better myself.

Sorry counselor Overruled

wolfjess7's picture

*The Judge of puns slams down his gavel* Overruled. You’re overreaching on your charges and exceeding your authority, Counselor. The most you can charge the muse with is excessive use of force. Even then the use of a Pun Projection Cannon pin only a mister meaner offence at best. AS for the charge of punning in the first degree there is no evidence of punning not even in the fourth degree. Pled the case out and get out of my courtroom.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Yay!

WillowD's picture

WolfJess7 is playing in my favorite WJ7 playground again. And I am really loving this story so far. I look forward to more.

More of the Death Dealers saga

Sabrina W's picture

What can I say, off to a good start as you have me hooked on this story line. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Yay!!!!

This made my night when I came and saw this! I love the background you've given him, as well as look forward to this being a story with Maiha being involved again. Can't wait to read more!

Thanks

Awesome Start!

Glad to see you back in this

Glad to see you back in this playground.

What happened to the rest of the family that was in stasis? I know many of them died, but surely there were some survivors?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

As the sole heir........

D. Eden's picture

Of an old Southern family that emigrated from Scotland after the Battle of Culloden, this story has me intrigued already. Not to mention how much I always enjoy any of the Death Dealer saga stories!

Can’t wait to see how Robert fares when faced with Maiha - I wonder if she will tell him the whole story of who she really is?

Oh, and I loved the reference to Joan Eunice Smith. Someone knows their classic sci-fi!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Excellent, my favorite series

Excellent, my favorite series is back, can't wait for more.
Great start for this offshoot of the story.

I don't understand

But Teressa is the Empress,not James!!...it was in the last part of ,, Flight of the Claymore ,, and in ,, Escort for an Empress ,,

Line of Succession

wolfjess7's picture

The Empirical Line of Succession goes from Maiha to James and down his oldest child. While Terresa is the Empress she rules beside James who the final stop on the chain of command.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

OMG!

I think i can see where this may end up. My guess is that the young Mr. Wolff will be presented as the NEW head of the Owens clan and take charge of his own part of the DDU after Teressa crowns him. I forgot what the other empty house that Maiha thought of for Teressa when she was betrothed to James at the end of the Claymore series. BUT, knowing how Wolfjess loves her cliffhangers we will not know until the end what will be happening to this gentleman!

Wolff story

Yayyyy death dealers are back

I love Maiha and the Death Dealers

Finding a lost cousin is great! But there are so many questions!?
- What is going to happen when the James OwensShinigami and battle group enter the sector?
- Will the Cheeseheads get upset?
- Will Robert become a DD - if so how will he turn out - is the Joan Eunice Smith School for Young Ladies in his future?

Things are going to get exciting, me thinks!

LOVE your stories Jessie!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

I hope - though I know how

Beoca's picture

I hope - though I know how unlikely it is - that Robert keeps his gender. That being said, I like WJ7 protagonists as a group, and suspect that the phenomenon will occur once again regardless of what the 2nd gen conversion does.

Jess doesn't seem to be one

Jess doesn't seem to be one of those authors where _every_ main character has to be somehow gender altered. Yes, this site might be mostly TG/transformation of some sort, but it's not absolutely required - and it's still satisfied by Maiha herself (and who knows how many DDs. )


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Jesse

OH Hell Yes I am glad to see that your muse has you back in your old stomping grounds. I love your other stories especially our little speed demon. But this if my favorite of your universes. I look forward to your next chapter.

I wish you the best of health to you and yoru family Jess

SDom

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

Wolfjess

Was hoping for more Racing, but lo and behold we’re back in the DDU instead yaaaaaay

Huggles
Sammi ...... doing happy dance

Don't worry

wolfjess7's picture

Bobbie and friends will back with another chapter tonight. As well Chiyako and friends this weekend. I am hoping to post one chapter from each story in a rotating order from now on. Starting with Wolff of the Endless Waltz, then Speed Demons, and finally Forever the Dragon Empress.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Thank you!

Thank you for the updated schedule for the next few weeks at least. The mix will be an interesting one for sure.
I think the young man will sent to the brother school that Maiha is teaching at (I forget the name of it). I doubt that Maiha will be happy with what happened to her family, and James is going to be given the task of dealing with the cheeseheads this time. Take care!

He's old enough to be

He's old enough to be emancipated, so it's unlikely he'll be sent to a normal school. Possibly an academy; he's shown willingness to enlist, but being the sole (current) heir to the Owens clan head, it's unlikely he'd be allowed to go directly to something insanely dangerous by design. (Maiha's children would be considered a cadet branch, at best, and since they're Nakatoma, the only way for them to become the Owens head is for Maiha to specifically designate one of the children to become an Owens, and no longer Nakatoma. If any of the original clan is left from the original stasis group (remember where Ryuk came from), they'd be unlikely to go for a Nakatoma as head.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Yeayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

NoraAdrienne's picture

Another amazing adventure is about to begin.

Youn Wolff

Good name, like the start of this new Death Dealer story. Wolff is already showing he is a Owens by he action and the respect he was getting from the Police Captain and the Judge. Looking forward to see how this plays out.

Fasten your seat belts...

Fasten your seat belts and here we go. Really looking forward to another Empyreal saga.

As for “Oh, frack me in a back alley with a steel dildo!”, my sides were hurting. How do you come up with these lines!?

My favorite 1 line site

wolfjess7's picture

Whenever I need a 1-liner along those lines I go to a lovely site called Murphy's Law. When I cannot get inspiration there I fall back on my time in the US Army. One of my old Platoon Sergeants had a bevy of such 1-liners.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Boots and Sadles

Jess, Boots and Saddles! Thank your muse for me as I lift a shot of 12 year old Doublewood.

Warmest regards and respect,
Stalya

Continued Death Dealer Saga.

smdani4mm's picture

Well - I was just getting ready to write you a note asking when the continuation of the death dealer saga was going to happen. I re-read the ending of the flight of the claymore. Then I happened to see this one and i was overjoyed.
However, I was a bit confused as to why james was named emperor and not having Teresa as empress as was stated in the last story.
Thanks for the Good Read!
Dani

SmDani4

New direction

Jamie Lee's picture

Some of these people believe in overkill to make sure to get rid of any opposition. A ten mile wide crater just to kill a few is really going to far.

Throw in a politician and the screw up is worse than what any computer can accomplish. Those politicians who threw Robert out with the bath water might come to regret their actions if the right people decide a lesson needs taught.

Robert is an intelligent person, but confused as to his roll in this new adventure. It should be interesting to see how he adapts to his new life and who might be stupid enough to have a go at his life.

Others have feelings too.