Masks 26: Part 6

Printer-friendly version

I will not be posting over the New Year's weekend. The story will resume Monday the 2nd.

Part Six

The trip from airport to hotel was... interesting. Some structures - including the actual pavement of most side streets - had obviously not been completed, and nearly all of the construction showed serious signs of deterioration. Michelle found herself appreciative of the air conditioning in the car. It removed both much of the heat and most of the smell of decay.

"Reminds me of some sections of Detroit," said Michelle, quietly. "Though with less graffiti."

"Decades of ocean weather without maintenance will cause a lot of damage," said the Major, his tone philosophical. "That building, over there, in good shape, though, is the local UN headquarters. It was originally intended as the center of administration for the resort, and was not only completed, it was partially equipped. The government used it as their offices during periods of construction. We still had to make some serious repairs and replace pretty much everything inside except for most of the plumbing and electrical infrastructure. This was not surprising, considering its age. There wasn't even an internal computer network."

"I see a lot of people going in and out over there," said Vic.

"You have good eyes," said Major Lee, sounding impressed. "About the only scratch-built installation the UN built here is the hospital, which is on the other side of our admin building. It's a modern facility intended to treat UN personnel who are injured or infected on the job. It can actually hold a large percentage of the UN personnel on the island. We expect the extra capacity will be used by UN people based in other areas. That is, not only with we treat UN personnel, but people our field teams send here."

"Oh," said Michelle, suddenly, as they got closer to the building and she could see those there more clearly, "that reminds me of something I've wondered about before. Why are people wearing different colored vests and helmets? Even the soldiers in uniform are wearing vests of several different tints, and they and most of the civilians are wearing or carrying colored helmets."

"The different branches of UN field forces get different colors," said Major Lee. "For example, UNHCR get blue vests and helmets. As you might imagine, with this island being so close to several needy nations in Africa, they have a large presence, here. We in T.O.W.E.R. get safety orange vests and helmets. I understand the reasoning behind the choice, but it does make us a bit of a target. On the other hand, it also makes clear to all that we are not a regular military force."

There was a main road with four wide lanes and a center median running between the airport and the most luxurious hotel. This structure was near the center of the island, on the highest ground. The pavement of the road looked like it was in good shape. So did the hotel, and the convention center attached to it.

"Wow..." said Michelle, looking up and up at the hotel as the staff car approached.

"It's the tallest building on the island," said Major Lee. "As well as the highest."

Somehow, the truck with their luggage - and Lieutenant Spivak - had managed to beat them to the hotel, without passing the staff car. There must have been another route. As the staff car and it's contents arrived at the hotel, the truck was already parked in the shade under the overhang at the main doors. The couple's luggage was being offloaded onto some sort of rough dolly. Something obviously not a hotel luggage cart.

The Lieutenant moved quickly to the car and opened the door for Vic and Michelle, while the driver opened the Major's door. Salutes were again exchanged.

"This place was completed and used to house guests of the regime as well as officials, anyone visiting to see the construction," said Major Lee, as they formed up to go inside. "It is a fully equipped hotel and convention center. All of it now under T.O.W.E.R. management."

"There's a whole upper-crust beauty parlor, in the hotel, on the second floor, on the balcony or mezzanine level," said Lieutenant Spivak, as they started inside. "Barbour shop, too. Plus there are several of each - a couple actually completed by someone, with equipment and products and signs of use - in various places around the island. Though all are currently closed. In fact, there are no private businesses operating on the island just now. Maybe at some time in the future... Heaven knows, there's plenty of room."

"Speaking of which, I hope I don't get lost," said Michelle, as she saw the size of the lobby beyond the automatic doors. As well as the shops the Lieutenant had mentioned, plus several others, on the balcony. The cool, filtered air inside was very welcome. "This place is like a maze! Not just this hotel, but the whole island!"

"Only some of the street signs were installed," said Lieutenant Spivak, sympathetically. "However, there are maps of this whole island, and some show the planned street names. We occasionally put up our own street signs - usually when a contractor has finished refurbishing some facility for us to use - and we normally use the names the original planners intended. I'll get you and Vic copies of the maps we've made."

"You don't have to check in," said Major Lee, straightfaced, as they crossed the lobby. "In fact, the registration system was never installed. Though the internal phone system works just fine. We even have satellite TV and Internet."

The Major bypassed the registration desk, and led the small party directly to the bank of elevators. The privates who had accompanied Lieutenant Spivak from the island's airport wheeled the cart with the visiting couple's luggage in line behind them. An elevator opened as soon as the Major pushed the button.

"Everything seems to be working," said Michelle, as she and Vic crowded with their guides and the luggage cart and its handlers into the large elevators.

"Power was originally from a set of diesel engines turning conventional generators," said Major Lee, as the doors closed and they began their quiet ascent. Which took them surprisingly high in the building. "The demand we have is a lot lower than the maximum planned for the local distribution system, which was never completed or actually run at anywhere close to full capacity. Now, most of our electricity comes from a mix of solar panels, windmills and combined wave and tide generators, with superconducting coils for brief periods of high demand. Though we keep the diesel plant in ready condition for meeting prolonged demands or in case of unusual weather conditions. We hope to eventually get one of the Kenniman Kinematics Aesir fusion units for our main power source."

The doors of the elevator finally opened again and the smiling Major led the way to the quarters which had been assigned to the pair from Detroit. He produced a pair of large, old-fashioned brass keys. He opened the door with one, then handed Vic and Michelle each one of the two keys.

"Wow," said Michelle, as she and the speechless Vic saw their room. Or, rather, rooms. They had been assigned a suite on the top floor of the hotel. A suite intended for the most upper of the upper crust... with two exceptions.

"This is actually the third nicest set of rooms in the hotel," said Major Lee, as the pair from Detroit looked around the suite. "After the Emperor's Suite and the King's Suite. This is the Prince's Suite. It's available, so we figured we might as well use it for you two. The Emperor's suite has been repurposed as our main office, here on the island. The King's Suite has been subdivided into more offices, a storeroom and Commander Walters' quarters. He's in charge of the UN forces here."

Lieutenant Spivak - with occasional comments from Major Lee - showed them around the rooms. By the time they finished an aide had arrived with the promised maps.

"Here we go," said Lee, finding the sheet he wanted. "The gymnasium is in this complex. You just go down to ground level and follow the signs to the convention center. We repurposed the largest hall as our main gym. That's where you'll give your demonstrations. Lieutenant Spivak can show you the hall and where we keep the training equipment. We have scheduled your first two sessions for tomorrow, at nine and two."

"That definitely sounds workable," said Vic, nodding.

"I'll also show you where the mess is," said Spivak. "There should be time enough time for that, then you can come back here, unpack and relax a while before we begin serving lunch. Oh, and the pool deck is on the third floor."

"This is sounding better and better," said Michell, smiling.

"Okay, lead on," said Vic, grinning.

* * *

After a brief tour of the larger facilities, the couple came back to their suite and unpacked. There was plenty of room for their gear; even for Vic's bicycle. In fact, Vic could ride her bike in the largest room of the suite.

"Look at this closet!" said Michelle, opening both of the folding doors to the compartment and stepping back to stare in wonder. "It's bigger than our whole bedroom back home!"

"I hope we don't get spoiled," said Vic, who was already trying the bed. "Wow. Wake me in time for lunch."

"Hey, you said we needed to stretch out and get in a little practice this afternoon."

"Right, okay," said Vic, reluctantly rising. "Let's use the den. It has plenty of room and that thick carpet should be almost as good as a mat."

* * *

Lunch was actually quite good; and very welcome, since Michelle and Vic's breakfast on the plane had been rather meager. The pair ate with Major Lee and Lieutenant Spivak, who then introduced them around to several members of the other UN forces on the island. This included Commander Walters, though he arrived last.

"Sorry to be late," said the Commander, as he joined the small group. "There was a matter which required my attention. So, how are you two getting along on our little island?"

"Feeling a bit spoiled, actually," said Vic, enthusiastically. "I'm also impressed by the menu. Were those fresh vegetables?"

"We actually have a garden," said Walters. "Though a lot of the food served here we buy on the mainland. We also make certain to hire talented cooks."

"This is a beautiful place, but it's rather out of the way," said Michelle.

"Also, a lot of the beauty seems to be artificial," said the more pragmatic Vic.

"We occasionally tell people that this island was used as a base by the Dread Pirate Roberts, centuries ago," said the Commander, straight-faced. "That the place was built-up and maintained by the descendants of those left behind to guard the treasure left here. That the treasure was what Mobutu was actually after, with the resort construction being just a cover for his search. It's amazing how many believe that.

"As for the artificiality, it's slowly fading. We - the UN managers of this island - are determined to let it return to as close to a natural state as we can, compatible with our needs... as long as we don't have to spend any money on it. Of course, our needs are far less intrusive than a resort would have been."

"Interesting," said Vic, looking thoughtful. "Though that little story about pirate treasure might cause people to sneak onto the island who wouldn't, otherwise."

"People sneak out here anyway," said the Commander, with a careless shrug. "We catch all of them, anyway. A few more won't matter."

Vic wasn't sure about that, but kept quiet.

* * *

Vic had expected to be placed in the role of debunker of myths about supers. This had happened in previous instances when she was working with groups of "norm" law enforcement people. She had thought, though, that since T.O.W.E.R. was dedicated to handling super problems worldwide there would be a lot fewer myths to dispel. What she hadn't expected was that many of the questions and "facts" people brought up with her would be personal.

"I understand you two are friends with Constantine," said Major Lee, as he showed Vic and Michelle around some more of the facility, after the meal.

"Not friends, exactly," said Vic. "I helped find and rescue some of Moldaria's national treasures after they were released by the US government and stolen on their way home. He likes to show his gratitude, but I've barely spoken to the man."

"Ah. Well, I've scheduled a meeting with our unit's doctor. She has some information about the level of fitness you can expect in the troops you'll be teaching."

Vic wasn't sure - and neither was Michelle, when Vic asked her about it later - but thought she had somehow disappointed the Major.

"Captain Spaulding will give you the briefing on what physical training our troops already get," said Lieutenant Spivak. "If you'll follow me..."

"Well, hooray for Captain Spaulding," said Vic, with a grin. Spivak just looked puzzled. Vic nervously cleared her throat. "Okay, lead on."

up
33 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

That's it! Michelle needs to

That's it! Michelle needs to run her education in disguises and similar from one of the beauty salons, and Vic needs to sponsor a Marx Brothers marathon.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Well, he is an African

Well, he is an African Explorer.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I have waited a long time to

Stickmaker's picture

I have waited a long time to use that. :-)

Just passing through...

For anyone who found that funny

TheCropredyKid's picture

Try to find a copy of Randall Garrett's story "Operation Mapcase"

{Though if you haven't yet read Harpo Speaks it would be good to read that first}

 
 
 
x

I loved Lord Darcy. Too bad

I loved Lord Darcy. Too bad he didn't write more.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.