Sarah Carerra - 1.21 - An Interesting Day at School

Printer-friendly version
I made a decision Monday morning that had the potential to greatly affect my ability to attend school.

Sarah Carerra
Chapter 21 - An Interesting Day at School
by Megan Campbell
Copyright  ©2010 Megan Campbell
Released: February 8, 2010

Editor Note: The images used for this story were purchased and used under royalty-free license* from Istockphoto.com . ~Sephrena
Author Note: Please email me at AngelJediGirl (at) gmail (dot) com before posting this story to any other site. Posting to a pay site is prohibited.

Comments and suggestions are also welcome at the above email address.

*  *  *

Chapter 21 - An Interesting Day at School

I made a decision Monday morning that had the potential to greatly affect my ability to attend school.

Principal Hall had been very adamant on Friday that I was not a girl, and the school would not treat me like one. He had been very upset that I looked like a girl, and did not want me even presenting as one.

But I decided that morning that I didn't have a choice. I didn't want to be Brett anymore. I COULDN'T be Brett anymore! I HAD to go to school as Megan!

But I realized that if I showed up wearing makeup and female clothes, I was most likely going to be suspended. Instead, I decided to embrace the tomboy nature that Julia believed I showed every day.

Pulling on a pair of panties and a bra, I turned toward my closet to see what I had to work with.

I couldn't find a pair of jeans that I thought would work well, until I looked on Megan's side of the closet. Jeans are jeans, right? I knew that there were differences between the cut in male and female jeans, but was it really enough for people to notice? As long as Principal Hall didn't notice, I thought I would be okay.

Coupled with the jeans I decided on a red t-shirt. While it was technically a guy's shirt, it was very tight on me. It managed to show off the curves that I had developed.

With the jeans and tee on, I pulled my hair back into a high ponytail. Not only was it a very feminine looking ponytail, it showed off my pierced ears, something I hadn't shown off at school yet.

I stepped over to the full-length mirror. Even without makeup I could clearly see Megan looking back at me. I really had to concentrate hard to see Brett. If people wondered before, they would be hard pressed not to think that I was a girl now.

I grabbed my backpack before heading out of my room and down to the kitchen for some breakfast. Mom was happily making waffles and bacon when I arrived.

"Morning, Mom," I told her.

"Morning, Megan," she replied, looking up at me. "You're wearing that to school?"

Her tone suggested that this may be a bad idea. But I was committed to it.

"Yeah," I told her, taking a seat at the counter. "Principal Hall made it clear that I couldn't wear girl's clothes to school, and I'm not. But I can't go back there as Brett. Not anymore."

She nodded, but she still seemed skeptical of my decision. "Am I going to have to come pick you up halfway through the day?"

"I hope not," I told her. "I'm not wearing girls' clothes. I didn't put any makeup on. I haven't done anything that he forbade me to do."

"What about the jeans?" she asked, proving that my plan might be harder to get away with than I thought. She obviously knew what I was attempting to do.

"Nobody but the girls will know!" I complained. "Principal Hall definitely won't notice."

She really looked skeptical at my decision now.

"Besides," I continued. "They fit a lot better."

That was the truth too. The girls' jeans that I had bought over the last couple of weeks fit me much better than Brett's jeans did. They just seemed to fit better on my hips.

Mom sighed before speaking. "I'm not going to stop you, Megan. But I don't know if we'll be able to get you out of trouble if the principal finds out."

"I know, Mom," I told her. "But this is something I have to do."

"Okay then," she said. "Call me if you have any problems."

"Thanks Mom!" I smiled at her before taking a bite of my waffle.

*  *  *

"Megan?" Emily asked incredulously when I stepped out of my house to join her for the walk to school.

"Morning, Em," I replied. We started walking down the street, but she kept looking over at me.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked a few steps later.

"No," I replied.

"Then why are you doing it?"

I stopped walking, and she came to a halt next to me. I made sure that she was looking at me. I looked straight into her eyes when I said, "Because I have to."

She stared at me for a second before responding, "Okay."

We started walking again. Just like that Emily was okay with my decision. This would probably be a difficult day, but at least I had one person on my side.

"Morning, ladies," Ethan said as we approached where he was waiting for us in front of his house.

"Hi, Ethan," I greeted him.

"Is there any particular reason why Megan is coming to school today?" he asked.

"No," I told him. "It's just time."

He looked at me funny for a minute before his face fell.

"Oh," he said, understanding what I meant. "Brett's not coming back then, is he?"

It hurt to see him saddened over my decision, but I knew that it was something we would get through. He was losing his best male friend, but he was gaining another great female friend.

"I'm sorry, Ethan," I told him. I wanted to give him a hug to help comfort him, but I'm pretty sure that was the last thing he would have wanted me to do.

We stood there in silence for a moment. I didn't know what to tell him to make him feel better.

"Okay," he finally said. "We better get moving if we don't want to be late."

We started walking, but he still seemed slightly sad.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"I guess I am," he replied. "I knew this day would come. I'm sad that it's here, but it's not like I completely lost my friend. You're just a little different now."

I smiled at him. Ethan was like that. He was very practical. I knew he was sad that Brett was gone, but his realization that I'm still the same person was more than I could ask for. Obviously many things would be different now, but I hoped the majority of the rest would stay the same.

"Can I ask you a question though?" he asked.

"Sure," I told him. Anything to help him come to terms with my decision.

"Where did you get the curves?"

I couldn't help it - I blushed again! I'd never really told Ethan or Emily about what my body was doing.

"I mean," Ethan continued when he saw I couldn't answer right away. "You didn't have them last week."

Finally I was able to get myself under control, and tried to figure out what to tell them. Eventually I decided that they deserved the truth.

"They're real," I told them. "Without any testosterone in my body because of the accident, I've been developing differently than the other boys."

They both looked shocked. I could definitely understand why.

"Even..." Ethan started, but looked embarrassed to continue. Instead he started waving his hand in front of his own chest. I looked down, and was embarrassed to realize that the shirt did display the small breasts I had developed! They weren't even in the same league as Emily's, but it was pretty obvious that they were there!

"Um, yeah," I replied.

We walked along in silence for a few moments. I didn't know what to say to them, and it seemed like they were at a loss for words too.

"I guess we shouldn't be surprised," Emily eventually said, breaking the silence. "I mean, we all know you're a girl."

That got us laughing and seemed to break the tension that had developed. It felt like old times the rest of the way to school.

*  *  *

I took a seat in my first period class, wishing that Emily or Ethan were in it with me.

Walking through the halls at school, and even now while sitting in my desk, people were staring at me. Some of the students had been in my afternoon classes on Friday and had heard me called “Mister Brett Campbell”. The others had probably heard about it. Either way, they were staring.

I guess I couldn't blame them. Wearing the clothes I had on created an image that didn't exactly match the name.

I was worried about how I would be treated that day, but most people were still looking at me with curiosity instead of disgust. There were a few who looked like they wanted to kill me, but most of the students and teachers still seemed to be unsure of my gender.

"Mister Campbell?" The teacher asked during roll call.

"Here," I replied with a sigh. She looked questioningly at me for a second.

"Are you sure?" Her question was met with laughter from the other students, and from me too. Obviously my gender was still in question.

"No?" I responded as if I was unsure. The laughing continued.

*  *  *

I made it all the way until lunch time without any serious consequences. It wasn't much different compared to Friday morning, when everyone still thought I was a girl. I was generally left alone, even if the staring continued.

I sat down at our regular table with my tray of food, happy to be in friendly company. Everybody else was already eating.

"Tough morning?" Emily asked.

"No, not really," I replied. "Most people still think I'm a girl."

Kathy giggled at my statement, much like she had last week when I complained about the same thing.

"Weren't you complaining about that last week?" she asked me, confirming what she found funny.

"Yeah," I told her, blushing only slightly for once. "But things are...different now."

"Different how?" she asked.

Before I could come up with a response, Johnny approached our table. He had a sly grin on his face, like a fox that had just cornered its prey. I figured he was probably still upset about Saturday, and I wasn't going to like what would come next.

"Good morning, Megan!" he said loud enough for half of the cafeteria to hear. Many people turned and were looking at us.

I scowled at him. The last thing I needed was everyone knowing about my out-of-school identity.

Although...

Perhaps this could be to my advantage.

"Morning, Johnny," I replied with a kind smile. "I told you Saturday I wasn't going to give you Sarah's number."

I think he was expecting me to deny that my name was Megan or something, because he looked confused at my response. He seemed at a loss for words now.

"Are you okay?" Emily asked him after a moment of silence.

"Yeah," Johnny said. "I just wanted to see how my best girl Megan was doing today."

"I am not your girl, Johnny," I told him coldly. I realized a moment later that I was playing into his hands.

"But you admit you're a girl," he said, getting to the point of why he started this conversation. But if he thought that this was going to embarrass me, he had another thing coming.

"Of course!" I replied. His face immediately turned to one of shock. "Why would I admit otherwise?"

"But, you're a boy," he said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Says who?" I asked him. "My doctor doesn't think I'm a boy."

It was a white lie. Looking back on the sessions I've had with Mary, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she thought I was a girl too.

"What?" he said rather loudly. I was once again aware of how many people were listening in to our conversation. "But you were a boy a month ago!"

"I thought I was," I replied truthfully. "But I was wrong."

"What the heck are you talking about?" he nearly screamed.

It was obvious that Johnny had come over with the intent to embarrass me. When he couldn't, he started to become very angry. I guess I had really upset him on Saturday.

"Look, Johnny," I told him in a calm tone. "The doctors were wrong when I was born. They thought I was a boy, but I wasn't. I only looked like a boy."

Johnny was staring at me, stunned! I'd basically just come out as transgendered to my school, even if I had worded it to seem like more of a medical condition.

I looked around the cafeteria at the people who were watching us. Not many of them even seemed surprised. In fact, there were a couple people nodding their heads, as if they agreed with my doctors.

It wasn't unanimous acceptance, though. There were also plenty of faces that looked like they couldn't stand the idea of me becoming a girl. I'd let the cat out of the bag, so to speak, and I would have to live with the consequences.

"Whatever," Johnny said before walking away. Everyone else seemed to go back to their lunches after he had left.

"I guess that answers my question," Kathy said a few moments later.

*  *  *

I was sitting in my math class, minding my own business, when someone entered and spoke to the teacher. I hadn't even noticed she was there before my teacher spoke.

"Campbell," he said, getting my attention. "You're wanted in the principal's office."

Uh oh. I'd been dreading this all day, and it looked like it was finally happening. I gathered my books and my bag and followed the aide back to the front office.

"Have a seat," she said when we entered, pointing at a row of chairs outside the principal's door. "He'll be with you shortly."

I nodded to her and stepped toward the chairs. There was already someone sitting there. I didn't think I had ever seen him before. He was dressed all in black, and even seemed to be wearing eyeliner. If he could get away with it, why couldn't I? Although he was probably here because he was wearing it.

"Well hello there," he said as I sat down. He was checking me out, and it didn't make me feel comfortable. I'd been getting looks ever since I made my decision to live as Megan, but his looks gave me the creeps. They were almost dirty in nature.

"Hi," I replied, hoping it would be enough for him. But of course it wasn't.

"What's a sweet thing like you doing visiting the principal's office?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," I answered, somewhat truthfully.

"My name's David," he told me while sticking his hand out. His friendly nature seemed to belie the way he was dressed. "I'm new here."

I was at a bit of a dilemma now. He obviously thought that I was a girl, and I didn't really want to contradict that thought. But I couldn't exactly tell him my name was Megan either.

Fortunately, I was saved from answering by the opening of Principal Hall's door. One of the teachers walked out, followed by the principal.

"Mr. Cartwright, please come in," Principal Hall said before glancing at me. I was surprised to see him give me a small smile.

David stood up, and with a smile and a wave to me walked into the office.

I sat there alone for ten minutes, wondering what that smile had meant. I would have thought Principal Hall would have been really upset with me. But that was definitely a friendly smile, even if it looked slightly forced.

Eventually, the principal's door opened again, and the two of them stepped out. I thought for sure David was going to get in trouble for wearing eyeliner, but he didn't seem upset at all after his meeting.

"Thank you, sir," David said. "I'll, uh, do as you asked."

"Thank you, Mr. Cartwright. I'll see you later," Mr. Hall responded.

David then turned toward me, and with a small wave goodbye said, "Bye, Megan. It was nice to meet you."

That was enough to put me in shock! How did he find out my name?! And he had just repeated it in front of Principal Hall! This was not going to bode well for my meeting with him!

Despite my surprise, I was able to mumble a goodbye and a small wave.

"Come on in, Miss Campbell," Principal Hall said, boggling my mind even further.

I somehow managed to stand up, collect my things, and stepped into his office, where I took a seat in front of his desk.

He walked around his desk and took his own seat, before looking at me. He seemed slightly surprised at what he saw.

"The first thing I need to do is apologize for Friday," he eventually said. "I overreacted, and I'm sorry. But I was telling the truth when I said I don't like disruptions, and this is definitely a disruption."

I was about to argue, but he held up a finger.

"Let me finish first, please." He told me, and I nodded in agreement. "I called your mother this morning after seeing you in the hall. I was quite furious at how you were dressed, or at least how you were presenting yourself. I was expecting to inform her of your suspension and have her come to pick you up.

"But instead, your mother told me more about your situation, and why you are doing this." He frowned slightly before continuing. "I can't say that I will be able to support you in any way. Frankly, I don't feel very comfortable about you changing your gender, but I do believe I understand why you are doing it."

I sat there awestruck! I didn't know what my mom had told him, but at least it hadn't made him more upset. If anything, he seemed to be pretty calm about it.

"Look, Megan," he said, and I realized then that Mom must have told him my name and he must have told it to David. "I want to help you because I want to keep this from being disruptive. There are only two weeks left in the school year, and I wish you could have held out until the end. But your mom explained to me that you had been trying, and I respect that. She told me that you feel you can't do that anymore."

I honestly didn't know what to say. I didn't want to come to school as Brett anymore, and it looked like I might be getting my wish.

"Let me be perfectly clear when I say that you are still not seen as a female in the eyes of the school," he said, dropping my excitement a bit. "Until you are legally female, we cannot do that. But I will make an exception and let you present yourself as one. Half the school already thinks you are female anyway."

"So I can wear girl's clothes and makeup?" I asked him, looking for confirmation of what I thought he had just said.

"Yes," Principal Hall confirmed. "But you will be held to the same dress code that the other girls must follow."

"Cool!" I said in my excitement. Mr. Hall smiled at my exuberance, but the smile still looked slightly forced.

"There are other things you will have to do if you want this opportunity," he continued.

"Like what?" I asked nervously.

"You must never enter the girl's bathroom or the girl's locker room," he replied. "Like I said, until you are legally female, we cannot make some exceptions. Conversely, you shouldn't use the boy's bathroom or locker room either. Technically it's still legal, but it will cause more problems than we want to deal with."

"Okay," I agreed. "But where am I supposed to go to the bathroom?"

"You will need to use one of the two unisex bathrooms," he answered. "There is one in each of the main halls, so it shouldn't be too far of a walk."

I nodded my agreement. The unisex bathrooms are actually handicap bathrooms. They weren't quite as well taken care of as the regular bathrooms, but it was a price I was willing to pay to come to school as Megan. I had already been using them anyway. It seemed easier when people started assuming I was a girl.

"Is there anything else?" I asked him, afraid of what I might have to do.

"Not at the moment," he replied. "But we'll handle anything else as it comes up."

I nodded at him. "Okay."

"Your mom said that you had legally changed your name?" he asked and then paused for my answer. I nodded in confirmation and he continued. "I can't do anything about it today, but I'll get your name changed on the rolls by tomorrow. We'll update your school records officially when we receive the change of name form. Your mom said she would get it faxed over this afternoon."

When I had decided this morning that Megan was going to school, I was definitely not expecting any of this to happen!

"If you don't have any questions," Principal Hall said while pulling out a small notepad. "Then here's a pass back to class."

"Okay," I replied, taking the excuse note. I think I was still in shock. I hadn't really been able to say much during the meeting.

I accepted the note from him and he stood up to walk me out of his office. I grabbed my backpack and followed him to the door. Once outside I turned back to him.

"Thank you, sir," I told him with a genuine smile. I truly was happy at that moment.

"You're welcome, Megan," he replied. His smile still looked slightly forced, but I think part of it was genuine too.

With more happiness than I thought I would feel that day, I headed for my last class.

*  *  *

Chapter 22 - Happy Birthday, Aunt Judy
Coming Soon...
up
281 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Are you okay?

Andrea Lena's picture

"I guess I am," he replied. "I knew this day would come. I'm a little sad that it's here, but it's not like I completely lost my friend. You're just a little different now."
One of the best lines in the whole series...I hope to hear this from my best friend someday...my wife. Thanks for making me cry tears of hope and thanks Megan for a great story!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I Was Really Surprised With The Principal

jengrl's picture

I was really surprised with how the principal reacted to Megan considering his previous attitude. It is great that Megan has finally declared herself to be a girl openly. Hopefully it will be a non issue, but I think we haven't heard the last of Johnny. He should figure out that he wouldn't get anywhere with Sarah because of his attitude and since Megan and Sarah are the same person, he is shooting himself in the foot in that regard.But I guess he really doesn't know that.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Best of all

Johnny will not be able to blackmail Megan with exposure to get Sarah's number ( as if that would have happened anyway. )

However, he is a mean SOB, the fact Megan and Sarah are one and a same must be guarded tightly even more so.

Kim

It's not the school, its the principal of the thing

All considered I feel the pricipal has made a huge shift since Friday, very even handed of him. Life can be hell when authority is not on your side or at the very least taking a neutral position.

Not tooo surprising.

Problem is, he now has to deal with a supportive parent. Who could make a lot of trouble for him as his school is in loco parentis. Since Megan has been given a legitimate reason for her actions - especially a medical one - he is treading on thin ice.

He is a practical man, at least.

Kim

Now that Megan has come out

Now that Megan has come out officially in the school, I can see the majority of the girls and a few close male friends of hers "cicling the wagons" around her for protection. She may even get assistance from the principle regarding any of the teachers who might go out of their way to "attack" Megan. Jan

Great Chapter

This one really turned the corner for Megan.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

There we go again...

...with the bathroom thing. While I'm not familiar with laws everywhere, I find it hard to believe there's a country where they actually have a law that limits men and women to the bathroom indicated for use by their gender. As far as I know, this division is only enforced by "peer pressure" and not by any law.

In fact, where I live (Belgium) you could get sued if you tried to prevent someone from entering the bathroom based on their gender since our constitution clearly forbids discrimination based on a series of things including gender.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Yeah, but...

That might be true in Belgium, but this story takes place in California, United States of America. We humble 'mericans suffer from major hang-ups over gender and sex. Blame our Puritan forefathers or the religous ultra-right conservatives. While the laws of this land are not universal on this subject, social mories (sp) strenuously dictates the separation of skirts and pants, especially when it comes to dealing with bodily functions.

Example 1: Showing up at work one Halloween quite convincingly enfemme illicited the very concerned question, "what bathroom do you use?"

Example 2: My good wife was absolutely scandalized to learn after five years of twice monthly "girl's club" meetings enfemme, with random shopping excusions before and clubbing afterwards; that when answering the call of nature I used the the facilities behind the door with the skirted silhouette placard.

And that's my two cents worth (I spent the rest on this really cute outfit).

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

The Bathroom thing.

I live in a city where you use the bathroom for the gender with which you identify, or Twomen use the women's. I was only ever attacked once and that was all.

So, when I was in Ohio,New York or Penssylvania or Georgia or Illinois it did not even enter my mind.

Later this summer, I plan to go to Idaho, Utah and Nevada. I don't plan to change a thing.

Much peace

Gwendolyn

As I 2 live in Belgium I

As I 2 live in Belgium I agree the non-discrimination part. I don't agree with the fact that you can't have problems with the law if a cop uses the letter of law. There's still a law in the books that you aren't allowed to disguise yourself so you aren't reconisable as 'you'. (part why the second, sort of, ID was starting to get used in the, let me think, late '90s).

12 year update

The bathroom thing has been one step forward, two steps back, and no I didn't get that backwards. With the advent of Trump and his ultra-bigoted supporters and followers things have gotten worse. A number of states, including mine, have passed birth gender bathroom laws. Want to have severe problems with law enforcement, just try using the restroom that doesn't match your birth certificate. They can and will throw you in jail. Sometimes I'm glad I've only got a few more years left on the clock. If this trend continues this country won't be fit to live in.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

If you have menses, you are a girl.

I mean, do I have the wrong story or something? But I thought that Sarah's interview on TV was interupted by her sudden need to go to the hospital to open up her Vagina so she could have her period.

In my opinion, Mum should have been trotting all the paperwork around for how many weeks?

Nice writing though.

Gwendolyn

Seems that the principle

Has realized that Megan is real too. Let us hope he doesn't feel the need to do something more.