Jump Rope

Printer-friendly version

Sometimes, acceptance can be found in the most unexpected places. The last place I ever would have thought to find it was on the school playground. Instead of being terrorized by bullies, for a moment, I experienced joy. The drabble below is a glimpse at that moment.

Jump Rope
Copyright 2007 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Twin jump ropes hum as they slice through the air overhead, then take turns smacking the hot concrete underfoot. Dancing in this tiny space, the words of the jumping song are lost to me, but my feet move to the rythm of the chanting girls crowding around the rope turners.

What had started out as a joke, inviting a boy famous for clumsiness (or at least being very poor at sports) to join in the game, seemed forgotten. For the moment, I felt a part of the group I'd envied at a distance.

Maybe I can try jumping forever.

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

All good things

must eventually come to an end. Very few things are better than acceptance by those we deem as our peers. Thanks Heather.
hugs!
grover

are you sure

Are you sure you're not writing about me?

In the 5th and 6th grades, I joined the girls in their jumproping. I was the clumbsy kid who couldn't run touchdowns, couldn't throw fast balls, couldn't shoot a ball through a small hoop..... but I could hold my own at jump rope, and come to think about it, foursquare.

but In today's society..... I belive those games have been deemed too dangerous for our children to play........ not only might a jumprope strike someone, but their feelings might get hurt too. :(

A.A.

Ah the question of the rope

Twisted versus braided. Judgemental versus accepting.

Charming as usual and so true. Acceptance begins with little gestures.

John in we had to shovel the G.D. snow again Wauwatosa

P.S. Winter wonderland my a**, with all that ice underneight. We weren't even doing 40MPH on the Interstate last night. Think dual carrige-way for you Brits but with everyone driving the right or is the wrong way?

John in Wauwatosa