The Hard Way Chapters 7-13

Printer-friendly version
e_Hard_Way_1_Teaser_iStock_000007051048Small.jpg
The Hard Way
by Tanya Allan

Synopsis
Young Kyle Manning lives with a problem that seeks to take over his waking hours. Sally is a girl who fancies Kyle and is at a loss to know why he doesn’t seem to notice her.

She confronts him and is astounded when he confesses his inner turmoil. She rises to the challenge and begins to help Kyle become the person he always wanted to be.

With school and inquisitive friends, Sally devises a cunning plan for Kyle to become his Swedish cousin, Kayla…then things get very complicated...

A gentle tale of yearning, discovery and love.


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.


Tanya has a new website where she will display her latest works first and then to BigCloset TopShelf a few weeks later is here at Tanya Allan's Tales .
Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


 
The Legal Stuff: The Hard Way  © 2004, 2009 Tanya Allan
 
The Hard Way, first written in 2004, Revised and Reposted 2009.
 
The image used for the Title Presentation here on BigCloset Topshelf was purchased and used under royalty-free license from www.istockphoto.com.
 
This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright, in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Permission is granted for it to be copied and read by individuals, and for no other purpose. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited, and may only be posted to free sites with the express permission of the author.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
 
Please enjoy.
Tanya

 
 
Chapter 7
 
 
Kayla walked into her grandmother’s kitchen, sat down, and started to shake. Ingrid came over and gave her a hug.

“Is it very bad?” she asked.

“Nej, det á¤r fint.” (No, it’s fine)

“Then why are you shaking?”

“I haven’t a clue. Reaction?”

“How were you treated?”

“Brilliantly. No one suspected, and they treated me better than I’ve ever been treated.”

“That boy, the one at the gate, is he trouble?”

“No, not in a nasty way. I think he fancies me.”

“Then that’s trouble. You don’t need that kind of complication.”

“Maybe not, but I kind of like it. He’s actually quite nice, when one gets past his arrogance.”

Ingrid looked sharply at Kayla.

“So, do you see boys differently, all of a sudden?”

“No, or at least, I don’t think so. I think I see boys more like a girl does. Before, I tried hard not to, but now I can, and it worries me a little.”

“So how do you see them?”

“Like friends, but something more.”

“Something more?”

Kayla grinned and shook her head.

“That’s all, Gran, I’m not sure how I see them really,” she said, in English.”

Ingrid smiled and they started to prepare supper together, chatting away in Swedish. In actual fact Kayla had been exposed to Swedish so much over the years, she took to it quite naturally. Some of her vocabulary was noticeably absent, but her accent, grammar and general feel for the language was fine. By speaking it all the time, Ingrid helped the girl to build up those areas in which she was weak.

Sally rang, telling Kayla about the sad death of her parents.

“Sally, you tit!”

“I know, I’m sorry, but Pete was so insistent, it was all I could think about!”

“Okay, What car, when and where?”

“Shit, I don’t know. You come up with that. I will just say I don’t know.”

“Okay. See you!”

They finished their call as the doorbell rang. Ingrid looked at Kayla.

“Your young man?”

“I doubt it, he doesn’t know where I live. It’s probably Ricky,” she said, recalling her earlier conversation.

Ingrid didn’t understand why Kyle had been so friendly with Ricky, as she did not take to the lad.

“What’s he want?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” Kayla said, going to the door.

She opened the door and saw Ricky standing there.

God middag, er, good afternoon, you are Ricky, ja?”

Ricky stared at her for a couple of seconds, and then grinned shyly.

“Yeah, I’m Ricky, Kyle’s mate.”

“Er, mate? What is mate?”

“Oh, I’m his friend. Mate is the same as a friend.”

“I see. Roligt att lá¤ra ká¤nna Er, um, I’m very pleased to meet you,” she said, as Ingrid came to the door.

“Oh, it’s you. What do you want?” she said, hardly in a friendly tone.

Ricky flushed slightly, but stood his ground.

“Hello, Mrs Clarke. I just came to say hi to Kayla. I saw her at school, but never got a chance to speak to her.”

“You’d better come in, I suppose. Wipe your feet.”

Ricky did as he was told, and came into the house.

“You would like a drink, ja?” Kayla said.

“Yeah, that’d be cool. A Coke’s fine,”

“We don’t have Coke. There’s milk or fruit juice,” Ingrid said.

“Oh, fruit juice would be nice, thanks.”

Kayla went and got him a drink, and put the kettle on for Ingrid, who would never turn down a tea.

Ricky watched the girl as she got out the glasses and poured the drinks. He could see the family resemblance.

“You look quite like Kyle. Much prettier, of course,” he said.

Kayla blushed and flashed a quick smile.

“Tack, I mean, th-ank you,” she said, and handed him his glass. He took it, noticing her beautifully shaped and clear varnished nails. He had to look up to her slightly, and as he looked into her amazing eyes, he had a strange thought. He laughed slightly.

“What is funny?” she asked.

“I just, I had a silly thought, I’m sorry.”

“What thought?”

“Well, for a moment, I wondered what Kyle would look like dressed as a girl, and, well, I reckon he could be your brother. You are very like him!”

She smiled uncertainly. Did she dare let him in on the secret? She decided not to. There may come a time, but not yet!

“But he is a boy, no?”

“Yeah, I suppose it is the family thing. Your voice is different, and I think you are taller. He hasn’t got, um, er, well, he’s a different shape,” Ricky said, staring at her breasts.

“That is good, ja?”

He smiled, and finished his drink.

“Ja, I mean, yes. That is very good,” he said, with another furtive glance at her breasts that were straining through her thin blouse. The nipples were apparent, and Ricky felt ever so warm suddenly. All his silly thoughts of Kyle dispersed as quickly as they arrived.

Ingrid appeared, and frowned slightly.

“Kayla, we have to go and see your parents, get rid of him,” she said.

“Is there a problem?”

“No, but I need to speak to them, and you should come too.”

“Ricky, we go to see my cousins. So, I see you at school, tomorrow, perhaps?” Kayla asked, in that sing-song accent he found so attractive.

“Yeah, cool. Thanks for the drink, Mrs Clarke. Bye.”

He left, and Ingrid smiled.

“That’s better; I think he smelled a rat!”

Kayla frowned as she worked out the comment, and then nodded.

“Maybe, but I think I killed the rat. He couldn’t stop staring at these,” she said, indicating her breasts.

“They are certainly very realistic. It’s amazing what you can get these days.”

They walked the short distance down to see Rebecca. Jake wasn’t home from work yet, so they sat in the kitchen while Ingrid discussed what was on her mind. They spoke in Swedish, just to help Kayla get used to following conversations.

“Is it wise, do you think, to send her to the same school?”

“Why?”

“She is getting a lot of attention from the boys. I saw one today by the school gates. He was positively drooling.”

“Do they suspect?”

“I don’t think it enters their heads. Most of their thinking seems to take place below the belt. I am not happy that Ricky is back on the scene. He almost guessed.”

“No he didn’t. He just saw a family resemblance,” Kayla said.

“I think it is risky. He may be an unpleasant boy, but he isn’t stupid,” Ingrid remarked.

“Ricky is my friend, and he isn’t unpleasant, just a bit different. Besides, I’ve known him for ages.”

“No, Kayla. Ricky is Kyle’s friend. You only met him today. You have to forget Kyle and everything to do with him!”

“I suppose you are right. It’s hard, though.”

“I know that, sweetie, but you have to be quite strong if you want to carry this off.” Rebecca said.

Kayla saw Sally approach the back door. She got up from the kitchen table and went to let her in.

“Hi, I thought you might be here, I tried ringing you on your mobile and your Gran’s place, but got no reply,” Sally said.

“I’m switched off, as Mum and Gran are having a council of war,” she replied.

Sally came in and there was an awkward silence.

“I thought I’d come and apologise for my mouth. Pete really fancies you. He says that there’s something different and special about you, so it was the first thing that came into my head. I thought he might ease off a little. Now I think he fancies you all the more!” Sally said.

Ingrid snorted and laughed shortly.

“Shit, I didn’t do anything to attract him!” Kayla said.

“You didn’t have to do anything, just look stunning and smile sweetly. You really don’t have any idea how good you look, have you?” Sally asked.

Kayla looked surprised and a little shocked.

“Okay, now, you have to play it cool with the boys. You mustn’t smile too much, and don’t lead them on,” Rebecca said.

“Mum, I don’t lead them on. I’m just polite and nice to them.”

“Try being a little nasty, that might work,” said Ingrid, half in jest.

“Well, if it’s any consolation, you are so different to Kyle; no one has the slightest suspicion. Rachel was saying how much nicer you are compared to your ‘cousin’.”

“Really? How weird!”

“Not that weird. You are different, in so many ways.” Sally said.

“She’s right, dear, you are, you know,” said her mother.

“I’m the same old me. I just feel more like how I want to be. I have the same feelings and everything,” Kayla said.

“No, you are not the same old you. Ever since the doctor said you might be a girl, you have changed. It’s as if a dark cloud has been blown away. Your whole personality has changed,” Rebecca said.

“In what way?”

“You seem happier and smile more. You are less intense and much more relaxed. I watched you closely for the last few months; it was breaking my heart to see you so sad. Now I can hardly believe you are the same person,” Rebecca said.

Kayla looked at Sally and then her grandmother, and they both smiled and nodded in confirmation. She sat down again, and sighed.

“This is so hard!” she said.

“How’s your Swedish coming along?” Sally asked to change the subject.

“Okay, I guess. I seem to be able to pick it up quite quickly. I never realised how much I understood just from hearing it going on around me every year on holiday.”

“Kayla is doing very well. Her accent is fine, but she needs to brush up her grammar and vocabulary. She still sounds like a foreigner,” Ingrid said.

“She sounds brilliant to me,” Sally said, slightly confused; wasn’t that the idea?

“She needs to be able to speak as well as a native, not just sound like one; and that’s a long way off yet,” her grandmother said.

Sally stayed for a while, and then Jake returned. They chatted about Kayla’s day, and then Ingrid and Kayla returned to have supper together, and continue with Kayla’s Swedish practice.

As she lay in bed that night, she felt between her legs, and wondered what the heck was going on with her body.
 
 
The week passed. Kayla tried being cool and distant, but failed miserably. It wasn’t in her nature, and as a result she found herself surrounded by people who had never thought of being friends with Kyle. Ricky was somewhat distant, as Pete was never very far away from her. Pleading family commitments, she managed to keep the evenings free, and she worked hard with her language skills.

As the weekend approached, she was aware that Monday’s appointment with the Specialist was looming, and she felt quite nervous about it. In a way, she was excited, as it could mean another step towards her ultimate goal. However, she was terrified that he would recommend that she return to being a boy and that was just an awful thought.

As she was leaving school with Sally on the Friday afternoon, Pete came running over to them.

“I’m glad I caught you. Do you fancy going to the cinema again this weekend?” he asked.

“Both of us?” Sally asked.

“Of course,” he said, looking only at Kayla.

“I don’t know. My grandmother is taking me shopping, I think,” Kayla replied.

“Well, give me a ring, here’s my mobile number,” he said and handed her a piece of paper with a number scribbled on it.

He smiled and walked off.

“Do you want to?” Sally asked.

Kayla shrugged.

“Yes and no. It’s funny, but you once asked me whether I fancied boys. I think I am beginning to,” she admitted.

“Oh, dangerous ground, girl!”

“I know Sally, and I am so sorry I can’t be the person you wanted me to be. I feel I’ve let you down.”

“I’ll live,” Sally said, but Kayla noticed the trace of bitterness in her voice.

“We could be lesbians, if you want?” she suggested, and was playfully punched on the arm.

“I’m not that way inclined, thanks,” Sally said.

“I don’t think I am either,” Kayla said, staring at Pete in the distance.
 
 
In the end, Kayla didn’t go to the cinema. Ingrid kept her very busy, and so she never got the opportunity.

Monday morning arrived, and Rebecca and Ingrid accompanied Kayla to a private clinic in Oxford to see Mr Sweeney. The clinic was not far from the Radcliffe Infirmary, but was so plush as to be more like a five star hotel than a medical facility.

The waiting room had sumptuous furnishings, and magazines like Country Life and Harpers & Queen in red leather covers. Even more surprisingly, they were called in a minute before their appointment was due, and were shown into the surgeon’s equally luxurious consulting room.

Mr Sweeney looked like an affluent surgeon, with his expensive pinstripe suit and his bow tie. In his late fifties, with slightly too long grey hair curling over his ears and collar, he was jovial and very friendly. He spoke with a very upper class accent, and gave the impression of being highly professional and proficient.

He looked at the three women who faced him.

“Okay, you have me stumped, but by a process of elimination I guess the younger lady is my potential patient!”

Kayla smiled and nodded.

“Right, then I take it we have Kayla’s mum and grandmum to see fair play?”

“Yes, that’s right,” said Rebecca.

“Fine. I think it best if Kayla and I have some time alone, and then we will get together later. So, if you don’t mind waiting, I shall make a start,” he said, and reluctantly, Rebecca and Ingrid left.

“Okay, behind the screen, get completely undressed and slip the robe on. Dr Hillier sent me his notes, and I have the results of your blood tests. So as you undress, I will ask you a few questions, just to clarify some issues, okay?”

Kayla nodded, and did as she was instructed. She had not stuck on the breast forms, leaving them loose in her bra. She felt very naked indeed, when she came back out, with the robe tightly wrapped around her.

The questions were similar to those Dr Hillier had asked, only went into more specifics. In particular;, those sensitive questions relating to sexual feelings and physical activity in the genital department.

“Up on the couch, please,” he said, putting on blue rubber gloves, as Kayla nervously complied.

The previous examination, although quite thorough, was nothing compared to what she experienced this time. The questions were continuous, interspersed with him asking whether what he was doing hurt her.

After what seemed to be an eternity, he asked her to get dressed.

“I’m sorry that may have been uncomfortable, but you are quite an enigma, you know?” he said, as she dressed.

“Oh?”

“Not the doctors’ fault, but I think you were wrongly sexed at birth. Oh, you look somewhat male, but I think you are more a girl than even you believed. I can understand how it happened, as you have a unique arrangement down below.”

She came back out, tucking her top into her skirt. He looked at her critically over his half-moon glasses.

“Hmm, quite! Please sit down. Before we get the secret service back in, I’ll tell you what I know and what I believe. Then I’ll go through the options, after that we’ll let the posse in to have their say. All right?”

Kayla smiled and nodded.

“Firstly, I believe that your GP was one hundred percent correct in his initial diagnosis. You are inter-sexed. I should go so far as to say that you are female, with vestiges of masculine development that give you the appearance of being a physical male. I am not totally sure what you have inside you, but at a reasonable guess, I would think we shall find most of what you need to be a woman. Maybe not all, but certainly most!

“Your hormone levels are normal, normal for a girl going through puberty that is. That suggests the presence of ovaries, as your abdomen and those parts I could reach from behind, suggest the presence of a womb and some other female equipment. The total lack of testosterone tells me that those lumps between your legs are flesh and fatty deposits, and the cleft is a poor attempt to create a vaginal opening. Your small penis is an enlarged clitoral development, and although you manage to pee out of it, that can be rectified. This is all emphasised by the fact your voice has yet to break, and you sound and look female.

“Your breast development is on a par with your hormone levels, and I think you won’t need those rubber ones in a few months. The decisive factor is one that even the legal minds will have to accept - you have XX chromosomes. That makes you female, beyond all reasonable doubt. So, young lady, how do you feel now?”

Kayla was shocked into silence. It was a nice shock, but still she wasn’t able to take it in completely. She said nothing, but simply smiled.

“Hmm, I thought as much. Well, options; one, we do nothing, and I see you in four months. You have minimal interference, but there are risks.

“Two, when I get back from the States, we have you in for a day and take a little peek at what’s inside you. That will give me an idea as to how best to play this. What do you think?”

“You said risks?”

“Yes. When girls go through puberty, one factor is menstruation. At present, you do not have anywhere for the womb lining to escape to, so there is a problem with where it does go, assuming you have a womb and lining that peels away. Secondly, your hormone levels are fine for a normal girl. However, exactly how much of a normal girl you actually are remains to be seen. Hormones affect all manner of organs, like the kidneys and liver, notwithstanding the mental stress of the whole thing. My personal view is that I book you in for day surgery when I come back from my lecture tour. In the meantime, I’ll arrange for you to have a scan, just to see what is really there.

“Your mother and grandmother may have different views, so I really need to know what you want and feel about this.”

Kayla felt as if she was in a dream. The whole situation was so surreal. Just a few days ago, she was a boy with strong feelings of which he was ashamed. Now here was this eminent surgeon telling her that she had been a girl all along. What ’s more, He was asking her what she wanted.

“I just want to be me. I feel I’m a girl, so I just want to be as complete as I can be, and as soon as possible,” she said.

“Good, then I shall book you in here for that day job, in four and a half weeks. Let’s get the dragons in, shall we?”
 
 
The journey home was very different to the way up. Ingrid was quiet for a change and Kayla said absolutely nothing. Rebecca was still reeling with the fact that she might have given birth to a girl after all, but a minor genetic blip meant that no one ever knew.

They had another letter for the headmaster. It only enlarged on the earlier letter, stressing that Kayla was indeed female, with physical problems that would and could be rectified.

“I’m a girl, Mum,” she said.

“Yes dear, you are.”

“I think it is a shame that we couldn’t find this out sooner. She’s missed growing up,” Ingrid said.

“I don’t mind. I’m a girl now and it’s brilliant!”

They had a quiet lunch, and Kayla did not go back to school in the afternoon, as she had to work on Kyle’s assignments. She sat in the dining room, and quietly got on with her work. Ingrid was actually pleased with the changes she saw in her grandchild. Kyle had always been a quiet and pleasant child, but never demonstrative or effusive with any form of emotive reaction to life. He had to be prodded to do anything, whether it was to get out of bed or to help do the chores. Kayla, on the other hand, was bubbly and fun to have around. She helped around the house without being asked, and was up and dressed before her grandmother every morning.

As the child sat and worked, Ingrid watched her. Her whole demeanour had changed beyond all recognition; it was completely feminine. From the way she sat, to her hand gestures, she embodied everything that was female, and she seemed so content.

Kayla’s mobile rang. It was Sally.

“Hi Kayla. How did it go?”

“Fine. No, better than fine. It seems I am more female than male. I have XX chromosomes, and the surgeon thinks I have loads of female stuff inside me.”

“Really? So, what happens next?”

“I’m to go in for day surgery in about five weeks, then he’ll have a better idea. I have to have a scan before then, and then we’ll see.”

“Pete called me,” Sally said.

“Oh yes, why?”

“He wants you bad, girl!”

“Shit, why me?”

“Because you’re erotic, remember?” Sally said, with a giggle.

“Shut up, that was a joke.”

“Some joke, you really are!”

“Oh Sal, I just want to be me,” Kayla said, exasperated.

“Do you want to go out this evening?”

“And do what? Get groped in the cinema by Pete, or stared at by every boy I pass?”

“Kayla, if you don’t like the heat, then get out of the kitchen. If you didn’t look so sexy, you wouldn’t get stared at. Try dressing like Kyle, and see what happens.”

“No way! I never want to look like that again!”

“Then accept that boys will always stare at pretty girls.”

“I’m just not used to being the centre of attention. I feel vulnerable and insecure, particularly as underneath I know it’s all a sham.”

“No it isn’t. Not if what the doctor says is true. If you are a real girl, then all you are doing is making your transition from a sham to reality easier.”

“I suppose. It’s all so complicated.”

“So, are you coming out?”

“Okay. I’ll pop round on my bike.”

“Oh yeah? And what happens if the police stop you?”

“Huh?”

“Kayla, you, are a girl, have you a driver’s licence and insurance in your new name?”

“Uh, no.”

“Then, girl, you have to walk, or I pick you up.”

“Shit Sally, I only just passed my test!”

“You’ll have to be patient. I’m sure the doctor will write a letter so the licence people will be able to issue you a new one.”

“What about a passport and stuff? Fuck, Sal, I never thought about this at all!”

“Talk to your dad about it. He’s the sort of bloke who’ll know what to do. I’ll pick you up in half an hour.”

“Wait! Where are we going?”

“I haven’t decided yet. Just dress nice.”

She hung up.
 
 
Kayla went up to her room, and changed into a short dark skirt, a black tee shirt, tights and a pair of black boots she had bought at the weekend. The boots had quite high heels and she thought they looked very sexy.

She put on her makeup and redid her nails in red varnish. Brushing her hair out, she smiled at her reflection. Grabbing her leather jacket and shoulder bag, she arrived downstairs just as Sally’s mini appeared.

“Off out?” her grandmother asked.

“Just for a bit. I won’t be late.”

“Be careful,” Ingrid told her.

“I will.”

She slid into the passenger seat of the Mini.

“So where do you want to go?” Sally asked.

“I don’t know. It’s not as if I’m used to going out, is it?”

“I suppose so. We could go and have a drink somewhere.”

“Sal, you may be eighteen, but I’m not.”

“”You went out the other night with your brother, what was that then?”

“Okay. We could go to the Barley Mow. It was nice.”

“Okay.”

Sal drove the short distance from Abingdon to Clifton Hampden. She was parking the car when her mobile rang.

Kayla was already out of the car, and Sally was only on the phone a few moments.

“That was Pete,” she said, as she locked the car and they began walking to the pub across the road.

“Oh?”

“He wanted to know what we were doing.”

“You didn’t tell him, did you?”

“Yeah. Sorry.”

“Sal! This is getting too tricky. It’s bad enough at school, but I don’t need him after school as well.”

“He’d find a way.”

“How do I persuade him to bugger off?”

“Don’t you like him?”

“That’s not the point.”

“Yes, Kayla, it is the point. If you don’t like him, then tell him, and he’ll leave you alone.”

“Will he?”

“So, you don’t like him?”

“I never said that, but if I tell him that, will he leave me alone?”

“No, because he’ll be able to tell you don’t mean it!”

“I might do.”

“Kayla, do you really not like him?”

Kayla looked at her friend.

“You know I like him. But, that’s not the point!”

“I’m sorry, girl, but that is the point! If you like him, and he obviously likes you, where’s the harm?”

Kayla stopped walking.

“Sally, normally, there’s no harm at all, but I’m not normal, remember?” Kayla said, quite heatedly.

Sally looked at her friend. She slipped her arm through hers and started walking again.

“Don’t kid yourself, you may not have been normal up until recently, but now, now you’re as normal as me!”

“That doesn’t say much!” Kayla said, grinning in spite of her misgivings.

They crossed the road and entered the pub. It wasn’t such a nice evening as Kayla’s last visit, so they sat inside, both buying white wine spritzers. The barman had nodded at Kayla, aware he’d seen her before, but unsure when.

“So, is Pete coming here?”

“Probably. He’s got some foreign cousins staying, so he’s in charge of entertaining them. His parents are taking their parents out to the Theatre and a nice dinner.”

“Oh shit, they’re not Swedish, are they?”

Sally laughed.

“No, I think his mum’s sister married an American, they’re over here for a short stay.”

“Not Swedish?”

“Not Swedish.”

Kayla looked relieved.

They had almost finished their drinks when a familiar voice hailed them.

“Hi Sally, Kayla!”

Kayla rolled her eyes at Sally.

“Hullo Peter, Nice to see you, ja?”

Pete was leading another tall fair-haired boy, slightly shorter but quite similar. There was a pretty girl with them as well. Her auburn hair was long and she’d pulled it back into a ponytail. She looked to be about their age, but the boy looked slightly older.

“Hi Kayla, It is very good to see you again,” Peter said, sliding onto the bench beside her. “This is Rob and Kelly Rickman, my cousins from Illinois. Guys, this is Kayla Olsen, from Sweden, and Sally Crawford, a friend from school.”

They shook hands, in a rather self-conscious fashion. Kelly was drinking cola, while her brother had a pint of bitter in his hand.

“You like ze English beer, ja?” Kayla asked.

Rob grinned and shrugged.

“I’m not sure. It’s way different to what I’m used to. There’s more flavour and I think it’s a lot stronger.”

Rob felt rather insecure in England. The girls seemed far more confident and rather haughty compared to the American girls he knew. However, his cousin Peter had told him about the Swedish girl, and now he met her he could understand Peter’s interest. The girl was stunning and so friendly. Her smile made him feel welcome, and he warmed to her immediately.

“Where about in Sweden do you come from?” Kelly asked.

Och ká³mmer frá¥n Nyná¤shamn, sorry, in English, I forget, I come from Nyná¤shamn. It is at the southern end of the Stockholm archipelago. Have you been to Sweden?”

“No, this is the first time we’ve been out of the States,” she said.

“Come on, Kelly, we’ve been to Canada and Mexico!” her brother said.

“Okay, but I’ve never been to Europe before.”

“I’ve not been to America,” Kayla said.

Kelly was frowning.

“You don’t know where Sweden is, do you?” Kayla asked.

The American girl smiled and shook her head.

Kayla took a pen from her bag and drew a map of Scandinavia on a paper napkin.

“This is the Norwegian Sea. Norway is down this side of the strip of land. This is the Skagerrak, with Denmark underneath, here. Sweden is all down the Eastern side, with Stockholm here, and Nyná¤shamn just here. There are two hundred and forty kilometres, or one fifty miles of islands and rocks between Nyná¤shamn in the south and Arlanda in the north.”

“Hey, does Sweden have weather like Alaska?” Rob asked.

“I suppose up north, above the Arctic circle, yes. But where I come from, it is much like here. Our winters are a little colder, I think.”

Peter was looking at the map she’d drawn.

“How far is Denmark from Sweden?”

“Very close. Helsingá¸r is here, in Denmark, and just over the Sound is Helsingborg in Sweden. It is only three miles apart.”

Sally looked at Kayla with renewed admiration. Not only was she able to keep the accent going, but also she was very knowledgeable about Sweden.

“So where’s a good place to go out?” Pete asked.

“Utᶠis about 12 miles north of Nyná¤shamn. There is a good restaurant there. It is called UtᶠVá¤rdshus. The whole region is good for the sail boats.”

Pete gazed at her with undisguised adoration. Even the way she pronounced these strange sounding names endeared her to him.

“Where in Illinois are you from?” Sally asked Rob.

“Chicago. Dad works for one of the banks there. He’s looking at a job over here, in London. So we’re over taking a look at houses. He hasn’t decided whether to take it or not yet, but Mom would like to live over here for a while. Particularly as her dad is not that well.”

“Grandpa has Parkinson’s disease, so Grandma is finding it hard to look after him all the time,” Kelly said.

“I think my mum has decided that Aunt Carol can come and take her turn looking after the old folks,” added Peter.

“Are you in school, or what?” Sally asked the Americans. Rob answered first.

“I’ve finished school. I’ve been working in a bookstore, just to get enough cash together for college in the fall.”

“I’m still at school,” said Kelly.

“How old are you?” Sally asked.

“Sixteen. Rob’s nineteen.”

They discussed schools, colleges, driving ages and all kinds of things. Kayla found keeping the accent quite difficult, almost slipping up a couple of times.

Pete was sitting very close to her. She was conscious of his leg pressed against her, while she didn’t actually believe that room was at a premium. Then Rob threw in a real humdinger of a question.

“So, Kayla, how long have you been going out with Pete?”

It was a real conversation stopper. Kayla did her goldfish impression, Sally laughed and Pete went bright red.

“Um, Rob, we aren’t exactly going out. We’ve sort of only just met,” Pete managed to say.

“Oh, I’m sorry. The way you two fit together, I just assumed you were going out.”

“Kayla only arrived in England a few days ago. Pete may be fast, but he’s not that fast,” Sally said, still trying not to laugh too much.

Kayla was frowning.

“What is so funny?” she asked Sally.

Sally looked at her friend.

“Well, are you going to tell him?” she asked, a mischievous twinkle in her eye.

“Tell him what?” Kayla asked, slightly guardedly.

“What we were talking about earlier.”

“What’s this?” Pete asked.

Sally stared at Kayla, who glared back.

“Kayla was asking me whether you had a girlfriend,” she said, still staring at Kayla, who was looking mortified.

Pete frowned, clearly confused about something.

“I thought she had a boy in Sweden?” he asked.

“Sally, no!” Kayla said, but her friend carried on regardless.

“It wasn’t that serious. Do you, Pete?”

“You know I don’t, not at the moment.”

“Sally, this is so unfair!” Kayla said, and Sally saw tears forming in her eyes.

“I’m sorry. Forget it.”

“No, wait a minute. Is this true, Kayla?”

“I think Sally is teasing me,” Kayla said.

“Sally, you can be a cruel cow at times!”

Sally laughed and shook her head.

“I’m not really. Look, Kayla likes you and was unsure how to tell you, okay?”

“Sally!” Kayla said.

“Well, you do, don’t you?”

Kayla was really embarrassed and looked down.

“Don’t do this, Sally!”

Pete was pleased that the girl liked him, but was cross with Sally for making her feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. He stood up.

“Enough!” he said. “Kayla, thanks for being a lovely person, just forget this now. Can I get you a drink?”

She shook her head, feeling pissed off with Sally and not able to express herself in present company.

“Come on, a white wine?”

“Okay, a spritzer, please.”

“Sally, not that you deserve one?”

She giggled, unrepentant.

“The same, thanks.”

“Guys?”

“I’m good,” said Kelly.

“I’ll come with you. I started this damn fool conversation,” said Rob. The two lads disappeared.

“Sally, that was not nice!” Kayla said. She wanted to say so much more, but as a foreigner, she wouldn’t be expected to have the vocabulary.

“Was it? Now you both know where you stand, you don’t have to pretend any more!”

“Don’t I?” Kayla asked, and why Sally laughed so much was completely lost on Kelly.

Pete was standing up at the bar with Rob, waiting for service.

“Sorry man, I just figured you two were an item,” Rob said.

“I’d like us to be. But I thought she had a boyfriend in Sweden.”

“I can understand that, she’s a real babe, man, she’s gorgeous!”

Pete grinned.

“Yeah, she’s so different to any girl I’ve ever met.”

Both turned at looked back at the table. Kayla laughed at something that Sally said; looking so pretty that Pete’s heart ached. For a brief moment, their eyes met. She flushed slightly before looking away, a small smile on her lips.

Rob chuckled.

“She likes you, man!”

“You reckon?”

“I reckon.”
 
 
Chapter 8
 
 
In the car on the way home, Kayla was very cross. Sally withstood a verbal tongue-lashing with a smile. When it was over, she turned to Kayla and said, “Finished?”

“For the moment.”

“Okay, now hear me out. I’m sorry to drop you in it, as you said, but as your friend, I have to get real here. Every time you look at him, you go all gooey. Our conversations start off about all kinds of things, and always end up about Peter. The boy is besotted about you, and you him. I had to do something, if only to get you to say you weren’t interested in him. But you so obviously are, that now you can do the sensible thing and get together.”

“Sally, duh, aren’t you forgetting something here?”

“Like?”

“Like, I’m hardly the girl next door. The idea was to keep a low profile until exams, and then quietly disappear. It wasn’t to get embroiled with a boy and add to the many complications I seem to have created.”

“Kayla, take a look at yourself. If it isn’t going to be Pete, there’ll be a queue a mile long!”

“What do you mean?”

“Look, I know you. I know what you were, and what you are. But regardless of my knowledge, I can only see a really pretty girl. I used to fancy you as a bloke, but I can’t even see that bloke now. Believe me; I have tried - a lot! Pete is a nice guy, a bit arrogant and typically wrapped up in himself, but most blokes are, particularly the good looking ones.”

“Your point?”

“Kayla, I’m your friend, right?”

“I suppose so, so?”

“As your friend, I value your friendship, so I recognise the need to be as normal as possible at school. As far as the world is concerned, you’re a pretty girl, so you need to reinforce that by doing normal things.”

“Like?”

“Like having a boyfriend and fitting in. If you became a recluse, like you used to be, it would make everyone suspicious. If Pete was seen to be your boyfriend, the other boys would back off and the girls would accept you as you won’t be a threat to them.”

“But I’m not a threat!”

“Duh! Who’s being thick now? Take a look in a mirror, girl. Of course you’re a threat, you are attractive and foreign. As you said it - erotic and exotic! So, until you settle on one boy, the other girls will all feel insecure with you around.”

“Insecure? About me?” Kayla sounded genuinely shocked and surprised.

Sally laughed.

“Oh shit, when will it sink into your thick skull? You are not just a pretty girl, you’re stunningly pretty!”

Kayla went quiet. Her mind was having enough trouble coming to terms with the gender change. The added complication of what Sally identified, if right, was almost too great for her to comprehend. She thought back to saying goodbye to the others at the pub.

Pete had behaved strangely towards her after the ‘revelation’ by Sally. However, he managed to get her alone as they were all leaving.

“Kayla, I’m sorry you were upset by what was said,” he told her.

“I wasn’t that much upset. But I wasn’t expecting it.”

“Neither was I. Look, about the boy in Sweden…?” His voice trailed off.

“What about him?”

“I don’t want to go where I’m not wanted, but I like you Kayla, and, well, I was wondering… Oh shit, I was wondering how serious your relationship with him is.”

Kayla’s mind raced. If she said it was, then Pete would take a step away. However, others might not, and she did rather like Pete.

“He is a friend, that’s all. I growed up viz him.”

“That’s grew up with him.” Pete corrected her automatically. She blushed.

“I.. grew.. up.. wwwith.. him,” she said slowly and deliberately.

He smiled, his eyes scrunching up. Kayla felt a strange stirring deep within her. She liked his smile, so she returned it.

“Kayla, can I ask you out?”

She hesitated for a moment.

“You mean like a boyfriend?” she asked.

“Not if you don’t want to. Just as friends, if you like.”

“I’d like that,” she heard herself answer.

His smile became broader.

“Thanks.”

Before he could say any more, the others joined them. They said their goodbyes and went their separate ways.

“So, you’ve agreed to go out with him?” Sally asked, later in the car.

“I suppose so. Shit! This is so complicated!”

“You do like him though, don’t you?”

“I think so. I never had these feelings before, what’s going on?”

“Well, if you always have been a girl, but believed you were a boy, your feelings would have been clamped down tight. You were fucked up, Kayla, really fucked up! You were so worried about your gender, you never thought about sex. You were not a gay boy, you were a girl, but couldn’t get excited about either boys or girls. I should know, I tried my best to get you interested in me.”

“So I’m not a lesbian, that’s a relief!”

Both laughed.

“Seriously, Kayla, I’m sorry if I upset you. I just wanted you to take control of your life.”

“You keep doing that,” Kayla observed.

“Yeah, but it hasn’t done you too much harm, has it?”

“Not yet, but it is early days.”

Sally drove on, in silence.

She pulled to a stop outside Ingrid’s house.

Kayla sat there for a moment, picking at her fingernails. Sally turned towards her.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, Sal, I am. I just seem to be on a merry-go-round, and there doesn’t appear to be any way off.”

“Well, think about it, is it better than before?”

Kayla looked forwards, into the distance. Then she smiled.

“Oh yes, there’s no comparison. But I feel so insecure and as if I’m about to be exposed for the fraud I really am.”

“The only fraudulent thing is the Swedish bit, and that’s nothing.”

“No Sally, I’m not that stupid. Everything about me is false.”

“Do you really think so?”

Kayla nodded.

“Oh, Kay, please don’t. I don’t see you as anything other than my best friend, and a girl!”

Kayla looked at her.

“Really?”

“Yeah, really.”

“I suppose it’ll be better when the doctor’s have done whatever they need to. I still feel sort of in the middle somewhere.”

Sally smiled, not fully appreciating Kayla’s situation, but nonetheless sympathetic.

“Hey, you’ll be fine.”

“Yeah,” she replied, not exactly convinced.

She got out of the car.

“See you tomorrow.”

Sally drove off and Kayla went inside.

“Hur gá¥r det?” Ingrid asked, almost before the door closed. (How did it go? Pronounced ‘hoo go deh’)

“It was fine, Gran. We had a nice time.”

“You didn’t drink too much?”

“No.”

“Were there any boys there?”

“A couple, don’t panic, nothing happened.”

“Hmm.”

Before she knew what was happening, she was pouring out all her worries and concerns to her grandmother. Ingrid held her hands and calmed her down.

“You are so like your mother!”

“Mama, why?”

“She was just like this whenever she met a new boy. When she met your father, she was in a spin for weeks.”

Kayla smiled.

“Just go slowly. If he likes you as much as you think, he will respect you and won’t try any funny stuff. If he does, dump him!”

Somehow, hearing her grandmother saying such things made her laugh. She went to bed slightly happier. Pete’s smile haunted her until she slipped away to sleep.

The next few days at school passed without incident. The teachers found the Swedish girl bright and very able. Mr Simmonds, in particular, found her artistic style fully of grace and colour. Whereas her cousin, Kyle, had been a fine artist, his sombre pieces lacked the vibrant colours and life that she produced.

Likewise, in French, her accent was strange at first, but she proved to be well able to keep up with other class members, and participated fully in all aspects of the lessons. In addition, her skill with the acoustic guitar was of a high standard, pleasing both her teacher and her parents, as they placed the electric guitar firmly in the cupboard until term was over.

However, on the social front, her life really took off. Two days after the incident at the pub, Pete met her just outside the dining hall. They had not seen each other since saying goodbye in the pub car park.

She was talking with a couple of girls and Pete walked round the corner. They stood very close, simply staring at each other, they both smiled at the same time.

Both experienced that strange lurch of innards and a knot of excitement.

“Hi Kayla, how are you?”

Hej! Fine, you?” (Hej = Hi, pronounced ‘hey’)

“Good. Better now I’ve seen you.”

She had no idea what made her do it, but she stretched up and kissed his cheek. In response, he put an arm around her shoulders. They walked into the hall like that. The two girls, to whom Kayla had been talking, giggled and followed them in. It was as if a declaration had been announced, and no one was very surprised. Sally had been right; the other girls treated her differently once they saw that she and Pete were an item.

That first weekend, after the public declaration of attachment, he asked her out on their first date, just the pair of them. It wasn’t anything fancy, just to see a film and have a meal in a Thai restaurant. Kayla was in a nervous panic.

She was feeling frustrated that she still wore the breast forms. Her own breasts were budding, but were too small to allow her the freedom to do away with them. Down below, she was sufficiently smooth and lacked any bulges, despite the equipment being neither one nor t’other.

She just wanted to be a normal girl, and she expressed her frustration through tears.

Sally came over and tried to calm her down. She managed to get her dressed, helping her with her makeup. They agreed on a skirt and a pretty top with short sleeves, but kept her cleavage hidden and out of harm’s way.

“What if he grabs my boobs!” she asked.

“They’re realistic enough; just pretend you’re enjoying it!”

“Sally!”

“Just tell him not to. Same with down below - If he starts any wandering hand trouble, slap him!”

“Shit! He won’t, will he?”

“He might. It depends on you,” Sally said, brushing out her friend’s hair.

“Me?”

“Yeah, you must be careful not to send him any messages that he might confuse with, ‘I want to fool around.’ Do you understand?”

Kayla looked horrified.

“Shit, you don’t. I keep forgetting how new you are to all this. Look, hold his hand, let him put his arm around you, but just don’t allow him to fiddle with your tits or slide his hand up your skirt. Let him kiss you if you feel like it, but don’t get too heavy. Boys are like steamrollers. Some take ages to get the idea, but once started, they are a nightmare to stop!”

“Kiss me?” Kayla repeated.

“Yes, kiss you. Have you never kissed anyone, properly, with tongues?”

Kayla shook her head.

“Okay, look, if I show you, don’t get any ideas, okay?”

Kayla nodded, uncertainly.

Sally held Kayla’s face and kissed her. Before Kayla could react, Sally’s tongue darted into her mouth, touching Kay’s tongue. Sally held her strongly enough to prevent her backing away. The kiss lingered, and the tongues danced a while. Then Sally broke off, smiling at her friend.

“I always wanted to kiss Kyle, so I at last managed it. Don’t worry, it did nothing for me either. Get the idea?”

Kayla, slightly breathless, nodded.

“You’ll have to redo your lipstick now, so will I!” Sally said, chuckling.

Kayla sat there.

“Oh shit, what’s up now?” Sally asked.

“Nothing. That was nice.”

“Yeah? Don’t tell me that if I’d have done this a few months ago, you’d have stayed as Kyle?”

Kayla shook her head and laughed, much to Sally’s relief.

“That was my first kiss.”

“It doesn’t mean we’re engaged. Besides, Rob called me this afternoon.”

“Rob? What, not Pete’s cousin?”

“Yeah, it seems we’re on a double date.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” said Kayla, quite cross now.

“Because I had to know you were prepared to go out. You are, so I’m happy.”

Kayla smiled, repairing her smudged lipstick.

“I feel a whole lot better now,” she said.

“Good, but don’t rely on me too much, I have my own plans!”

“Sally!”

The doorbell rang, interrupting their conversation.

They heard Ingrid answer the door and let the two boys into the house. Sally hugged Kayla for luck and they both went down to meet them.

Both boys were looking clean and smart. Casually dressed but looking good nonetheless.

“Hi girls, looking good, Sally!” said Rob.

“Hi,” said Pete, unable to take his eyes off Kayla.

“Hej dá¥!” Kayla said. (= Hi or hello then. Pronounced ‘Hey doh’)

“Now you be good, and have fun!” said Ingrid shooing them out of the house.

“Whose car shall we take, Sal?” Pete asked.

“Are you planning to drink?”

“Maybe, but I won’t if I’m driving.”

“Well, I’m not drinking, so I’ll drive,” said Sally, opening her car.

Pete grinned, immediately slipping into the back seat with Kayla. He placed his arm around her shoulders, allowing her to snuggle close to him. She found she liked feeling this close to him. Strange butterflies started fluttering in her stomach.

Sally drove into Oxford, parking at a central car park as opposed to taking the park and ride. As it was a Saturday, there wasn’t quite the same traffic as weekdays.

“Okay, film first or food?” Pete asked. It was about six pm.

“Film, then we can talk about it during the meal,” suggested Sally.

They went to see Minority Report, starring Tom Cruise. Pete snaked his arm over Kayla’s shoulders, and mercifully left it there, never trying to fondle her.

However, halfway through, Sally, who was next to Kayla, was oblivious to the world, as she and Rob indulged in some heavy kissing. Pete glanced at Kayla nervously, unsure whether to follow suit.

Kayla was in two minds. Firstly, she was terrified of Pete discovering her secret, but she was as afraid of losing him by not reacting as she wanted to. She was about to say something when he made the decision for her.

She turned towards him, as he kissed her very gently on the lips. His arm that lay behind her head, cradled her, so she returned the kiss as Sally had demonstrated. His tongue gently probed her mouth; as if afraid she would take offence. She opened her mouth and touched his tongue with hers. The kiss went on and on. She felt a warm glow start to spread outwards from deep within her. She reached over with her arm to wrap it round his head. She felt his hand on her breast, but didn’t care.

Alarm bells rang, so without stopping the kiss, she disengaged her hand and removed his hand from her breast. He simply held her shoulder instead and she felt happier.

Kayla lost herself in the kiss. It was if the world stopped and she was alone with this boy. Her soul soared with the eagles and she never wanted this moment to end. Dimly she was aware that if she felt like this with a kiss, then what must sex be like?

That was like a splash of icy water, and it made her break off the kiss. She remembered that she wasn’t complete, yet!

She sat back in her seat, slightly breathless, with her pulse rate quickening.

“Are you okay?” Pete whispered.

She nodded, allowing him to cuddle her. She watched the film without seeing it, unaware that Pete was confused next to her. He was unsure of the messages she was sending. At first, it seemed a green light, and then, with no good reason, a red light came on. He’d been surprised at the level of passion she had returned in the kiss, but was also surprised at the abrupt stop.

He was cautious, unsure how best to proceed. She rang all his bells in ways he’d never experienced before. His erection was threatening to explode, so he was feeling very uncomfortable.

“Have I upset you?” he asked.

She was a little surprised at the question, but it then dawned on her that he might be a little confused.

Nej, I mean no. It is not you, it is me. I’m sorry.”

He smiled in the darkness, a small uncertain smile. She immediately felt sorry for him. She stroked his cheek and he leaned towards her.

“Kiss me?” she asked, and he needed no second bidding. This time the kiss was not as wild. It was slow and controlled. They gently explored each other with their tongues and she stroked his face again. Pete started to squirm, as his erection made itself known to him.

This time he broke off, leaving her confused.

He grinned.

“Sorry, but I need to cool off!” he said, getting up and leaving her. He went out into the brighter lit corridor and made for the toilets. He shut himself in a cubicle, and sat down, allowing himself to relax. Kayla sent him wild. Never before had he felt so much desire for a girl. He ached for her, finding it hard to control himself with her. Her touch, her smell, her very presence was enough to arouse him.

He left the toilets, bought a large cola and a tub of popcorn, returning to his seat.

“Sorry, but you drove me wild!” he whispered, and she smiled at him.

“Drink?” he asked, passing the cola to her.

She sipped some through the straw and handed it back to him.

He put his arm over her shoulders once more, so she snuggled in close to him. They sat like that for the rest of the film, passing the popcorn along to Rob and Sally.

The film ended and they left with everyone else. Kayla and Sally went to the ladies as they passed it on the way out. After having a pee, they each repaired their makeup.

“Okay?” Sally asked.

“Yup, you?”

“Oh yes. He’s a smashing kisser is Rob.”

“I wouldn’t know,” Kayla said with a smile.

“You weren’t doing too bad. Why did Pete leave?”

Kayla shrugged.

“I don’t know.”

“Aha, the dreaded one eyed trouser snake!”

“What?”

“Duh, come on Kayla, you know?”

“Oh! Really?”

Some other women came in, so they left, with Sally chuckling like mad.

Meanwhile the boys were waiting in the foyer.

“Hey man, Sally’s hot!” Rob said with a grin.

“She’s a nice girl, is Sally.”

“How’re you getting on? I saw you two guys make out, but you stopped, what happened?”

“I happened. Shit Rob, she is so hot! I have never felt like this before. If those seats were beds, I’d have been unstoppable!”

“Cool it, here they come.”

They watched as the girls approached, Pete locked eyes with Kayla, relaxing as she smiled at him. She had a wonderful smile and those eyes!

He draped his arm possessively over her shoulders, as Rob asked where they were going to eat. They ended up in a Thai restaurant, ordering a host of unfamiliar dishes.

Kayla relaxed and managed to feel comfortable with herself for the first time. The conversation started on the film, which none of them saw all the way through, and moved on rapidly to America and then to Sweden.

The boys were drinking beer and, after their fourth or fifth, the girls realised that they were passed their best. They paid for the meal, and walked back to the car.

Kayla and Pete snuggled together in the back seats, but Kayla felt slightly nervous, as Pete wanted to resume kissing as soon as they set off. She allowed him to kiss her, returning it, but his hands started wandering, one of them up her skirt.

“Nej!” she said, firmly removing the hand.

“Oh, please, I just want to have some fun!”

“Peter. If you respect me, then you stop this, now!”

Somehow, her words permeated the slightly alcohol fogged brain, and he felt ashamed of himself, the booze amplifying his emotions.

“Oh shit! I’m sorry, Kayla. I just can’t help it. You are so gorgeous!”

She remained slightly cool towards him all the way home. Sally parked outside Ingrid’s house, allowing the boys to get out. Pete had parked his car there.

“Shit, Sal, I’m too pissed to drive home. Can you drop me off at home and I’ll pick the car up tomorrow?”

“Your mum will be thrilled about that, won’t she?”

“If I get nicked, or crash the fucking thing, she’ll be even more pissed off!”

They looked at Kayla.

“I am not allowed to drive in this country,” she said.

“Okay, I’ll drop you off, and you can jolly well come an collect it tomorrow,” Sally said.

Pete looked sheepishly at Kayla.

“Goodnight. I’m sorry I behaved like an idiot.”

God natt! Vi ses snart. Goodnight, see you soon,” Kayla said, kissing him on the cheek.

Sally shook her head and started her car again, letting the guys clamber in.

“Don’t go to bed yet, we need to chat!” she said to Kayla as she drove off.

Kayla smiled and walked indoors.

“Well?”

“It was fun.”

“Did he kiss you?”

“Yes. It was nice, but he started getting a bit serious. I stopped him.”

“Good girl. If you take control at the start, they are easy to manage.”

“Sally’s coming back. We’re going to have a chat.”

“That’s fine. I am going to bed. Lock up will you?”

Ingrid gave Kayla a hug, more relieved than she could ever admit. For the first time, she sincerely believed that this could work. She went up to bed, allowing Kayla to have the freedom to talk to her friend in peace.

The two girls chatted late into the night. More than anything else, Sally wanted Kayla to declare her feelings. Kayla was experiencing so much confusion that Sally felt it important that she tried to get her friend to have a clear idea who she was and what she wanted.

“So, in your mind, are you a girl yet?” Sally asked.

“I think so. Life makes more sense as a girl. It’ll be better when the doctor gives his verdict after the day surgery.”

“Did you feel being kissed was right or wrong?”

“That’s a hard one. Right, I think. I know I liked it and could feel myself almost getting carried away. The problem is I’m still in that in-between place, so it spoilt things.”

“If it’s any consolation, I didn’t ever think of you as Kyle, more’s the pity! You’re Kayla to me and I still love you, but in a different way.”

They had a hug and Sally went home. Kayla took ages getting to sleep. She couldn’t forget the feelings she had as Pete kissed her.

She had a lazy Sunday; doing some washing in the morning, lunch with her parents, followed by some assignment work for her A levels in the afternoon. She was wearing jeans and a tee shirt, but still wore her breast forms in her bra. Her own breasts were sensitive but still small, far too small to go without enhancement.

At about four o’clock, her mobile rang. She thought it might be Sally, but didn’t recognise the number,

“Hej?” she said, in Swedish.

“Kayla, it’s Pete.”

Hej, Pete.”

“I adore your accent. Look, I hope you don’t mind me calling, but I felt I ought to apologise for last night.”

“Why, what did you do?”

“I think I came on a bit strong, and I did drink a little too much. I was afraid I’d upset you”

“You didn’t upset me. You were a little too fast for me, but I liked it, I think.”

“I’m glad. The last thing I’d ever want to do is upset you.” The relief was tangible in his voice.

There was a silence for a moment.

“Um, Kayla?”

“Ja, I’m still here.”

“I just wanted to thank you, for going out with me.”

“That’s okay. It was fun.”

“Is it okay if I come over and collect the car?”

She’d forgotten he’d left the car parked outside.

“Why should I mind?”

“Okay. Would you like to go out for a while?”

“And do what?”

“We could take the dog a walk.”

“I don’t have a dog...”

“I do. A Labrador, do you fancy walking down by the river?”

She looked out of the window at the rain.

“It’s raining.”

“Have you got a coat?”

“Ja, of course.”

“Then, please come?”

“Okay.”

“I’ll be over in a few minutes, as my dad has to drop me off.”

“Okay, adjᶠ´sᥠlᤠ´nge!” she said. (Pronounced ‘Ayeur so-len-ger’= Bye for now.)

He was right, for fifteen minutes later the doorbell rang. Kayla had taken the opportunity to apply her makeup.

Kayla answered the door and saw Pete standing there. His father was standing a little behind him.

On an impulse, she kissed Pete on the cheek.

“Hej Peter!”

Hej, Kayla,” he said with a grin. His father started chuckling.

“How is it, that in ten years of schooling, we could never get him interested in languages, yet already he’s started speaking Swedish? You must be Kayla? Pete’s said very little about anything else over the last couple of weeks. Now I can see why!”

“Hello, Mr Groves. It is nice to meet you,” Kayla said, laying on her accent a little thicker.

“Please, call me Martin. It’s nice to meet you too. Any girl who can reduce my son to a gibbering wreck must be very special!”

Kayla smiled delightfully and Martin Groves could see instantly what Peter saw in her.

“Well, enjoy your walk, don’t get too wet!” he said, turning and leaving them alone.

“You come in a minute?” she asked.

“Yeah, if you’d like me to.”

She smiled.

“Of course, come!”

She opened the door and he walked into the hall. Ingrid came out of the kitchen.

“Is this your boyfriend?” she asked Kayla.

“I suppose so. Yes.”

“This is Peter Groves. Pete this is my grandmother, Ingrid Clarke.”

“Mrs Clarke, pleased to meet you,” Pete said, shaking her hand.

“It’s nice to meet you too, Peter. Now, be good Kayla, and don’t break him!” Ingrid said, leaving them alone.

“So, what did she ask you?” Pete asked, when she’d gone.

“She ask me if you’re my boyfriend.”

“And?”

“I said, I suppose so, yes,” she replied with a smile.

He returned the smile, kissing her.

“I’ve missed you,” he said, enjoying holding her close to him. She felt warm and fuzzy feelings.

“That’s silly, you only saw me yesterday.”

“I’d like to be with you every moment of every day,” he said, looking very serious for a moment. She felt a flush rising, so turning away; she went to find her coat.

Just up the road was a large expanse of park adjoining some woodland, so they took Percy, the exuberant black Labrador, for a long walk.

They had been walking for a few minutes when, almost tentatively, he took her by the hand. Immediately her pulse quickened, so she squeezed his hand reassuringly. He squeezed her back and she felt slightly light-headed. She was seventeen and had never held anyone’s hand since being a small child. She imagined the experience as a boy, and then yearned for it as something she never thought she’d be; the girl she was fast becoming.

As they walked through the rain, she began to feel real pangs of guilt for the first time. She hated deceiving him, knowing that there wasn’t a real alternative. Had she even attempted to stay as Kyle, or undergone an open transition, she realised; her life could well have been made horrendous. She had spent a long time reading personal accounts where transgendered individuals wrote of being hounded out of previously happy environments, simply because they had the gall to be a little different; cursed with a condition they neither wished for, nor asked for.

She did not understand why people like her were targets for hatred, abuse and violence. It wasn’t as if they threatened society, or even an individual. She knew that there could be hurt and disappointment amongst loved ones, and she felt so grateful for her understanding family.

She knew, deep down, that she had made a hard decision, and by choosing this deception, she knew that it would be very difficult to maintain. She could not see beyond the end of the school term. In a way, she wished that she could tell Pete, but knew that at this moment, it would be very unwise.

“You’re very quiet, are you okay?” Pete asked.

“Ja, thank you. I am just a little sad, I think.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know what is ahead.”

Pete frowned, glancing at her. She looked very pensive and slightly melancholy. She was so pretty, he squeezed her hand, just to give her some reassurance. He smiled as she returned the squeeze, giving him a small smile.

“What do you mean?” he asked, still uncertain what she was talking about.

“Life, it plays tricks on us. Things happen and we seem to be expected to deal with them. But more things happen, I don’t like looking too far ahead,” she said.

“That’s a bit deep. How far ahead are you looking?”

She stopped, watching the dog running along by the river. Some Mallards swam towards them, possibly hoping that they were about to throw some bread at them.

“I’m not sure getting serious is a good idea,” she said, at last.

Pete’s heart sank.

“Why not?”

“I’m not going to be here very long. You should, I think have a girlfriend of England.”

“That’s an English girlfriend,” he said, correcting her. “Look, Kayla, I don’t actually want an English girlfriend. I have met a wonderful Swedish girl, who has captured my heart. If it’s only for a few weeks, then I’ll settle for that!”

Kayla was trying hard to try to take a few steps away, making life easier later, but it wasn’t working. What he said made tears come to her eyes, so she put her head down, starting to walk on. He stopped her, pulling her gently back to face him.

Placing a finger under her chin, he gently raised her face so he could look into those big amazing blue eyes. He saw her tears. He caught one of her tears as it rolled down her cheek onto his finger. He took it to his lips, tasting the salt.

“Why do you cry?”

“Because I don’t want you to get hurt,” she said, her voice very quiet.

“Me? You don’t want me to get hurt! How will I get hurt?”

“By me. When I have to go away.”

“Not yet, surely?”

She smiled.

“Nej, not yet.” (Nej = no, pronounced Ney)

“Look, I have no expectations or demands of you. I have never met anyone like you, and I don’t want you to get hurt. So if you think we shouldn’t go out together, then I’m okay with that,” he lied.

She looked up at him, smiling a little.

“No you aren’t. I’m not foolish. But you know so little of me,” she said.

“That’s little about me. I know, that’s the point, I want to know all about you - if you’ll let me.”

She looked sad again. Pete wondered why she was so sad.

“Kayla. How about a day at a time, please?”

She looked into his grey eyes. They were so serious, so earnest.

“Okay,” she said, as he bent towards her, kissing her on the lips.

It wasn’t a deep kiss, just a gentle brush, as if to seal the start of something. She felt her heart melt a little more, desperate to hold onto him, and yet terrified of what would happen if she did. She knew that after July, life would become too complicated.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, as he drew her closer, feeling her body tight against him. He felt the familiar stirrings of arousal, so tried to ignore them. However, the scent of flowers in her hair, and the soft touch of her cheek against him accentuated the sensuality of her presence. She felt his hardness press against her.

She broke away, slowly and gently, still holding his hand.

“You like me, I think,” she said with a smile.

Pete blushed, realising she referred to his reaction to her.

“No, Kayla, I think I love you.”

He saw the tears well up in her eyes again, as she turned and they resumed walking.

Pete didn’t understand girls!
 
 
Chapter 9
 
 
Ricky was confused. He wanted to contact Kyle in Sweden, just to see how he was getting on. He called on his parents, asking for Kyle’s address and phone number. Kyle’s mother had behaved rather strangely, seeming to be very reluctant to give him the details. In the end, she had given him the address, but not the phone number.

He’d then approached Kayla in school, with a view of getting her parents’ number in Sweden.

“I’m sorry, you did not know, but my parents died six years ago in a car wreck. I live with my grandparents, so Kyle is with them or my cousins.”

“Okay, can I have their number? I want to see how he’s getting on.”

Kayla started to panic. She knew that Ricky had been to her house to speak to her mother, but wasn’t expecting him to be so determined to contact his friend. It then dawned on her that Ricky didn’t have any other friends, he was missing Kyle dreadfully.

“I’m not sure where he is. I will be speaking with them tonight. I will find out where he is and tell you, okay?”

Ricky frowned, but accepted what she said.

“Um, do you fancy going out one evening?” he asked, chancing his arm. He liked the girl, although it was now common knowledge that she was dating Pete Groves. She reminded him of Kyle. They were so alike as to be brother and sister.

“Maybe, but not this week, I’m very busy,” she said.

At that moment, Ricky saw Pete approaching, so he made his excuses and left.

“What did that little sod want?” Pete asked Kayla.

“He wants to contact my cousin, Kyle, in Sweden.”

“Why?” he asked, frowning.

“He is his friend.”

“I don’t like him; he’s a sneaky little runt!”

“Who, Kyle or Ricky?”

“Ricky, I don’t know your cousin.”

“But he come to this school?”

“That’s comes to this school, yeah, I know. I guess I’ve seen him about, but I don’t think I’d know him if I saw him.”

“I have to go. I’ve an art lesson,” she said.

“You want to go out tonight?”

“No, I have work to do, and I call Sweden tonight.”

“Okay. Take care.”

“You too,” she said, kissing his cheek before heading off to art.

Ricky watched her go from his vantage point up in the third floor stairwell.

He frowned. There was something not right about her. He didn’t know what it was, but he felt uneasy about her. As he made his way to his class, it dawned on him what was wrong — her accent, she lost it almost completely just after he asked her for the phone number!

He then had a crazy thought. He had it before, yet dismissed it for being off the wall. Kayla was Kyle. It was the only answer! The whole switch was a conspiracy. It made perfect sense, for Kyle was never a macho type, and could be a transsexual. Ricky had read about sex-changes, recognising there was a process of transition that they had to go through.

But why?

He asked himself why they were going to all this trouble to pretend to be Swedish. That would mean the Head, her parents, grandmother and who knows who else was involved!

They couldn’t all be. The Head would not agree to such a plan.

What if he didn’t know?

Sally!

Sally had to know. The two girls were hardly ever apart; this had to be something she was involved in. Sally was dating Pete’s American cousin who was over in England. The four of them went on double dates all the time.

Ricky sat through the afternoon lessons, scheming and planning. He did not want to make an arse of himself, so he wasn’t about to start shouting stuff out until he knew for certain. He would have to get his facts right first.

He felt resentful of Kyle, or Kayla, as he suspected her to be, for keeping him in the dark. He though Kyle was his friend, so he felt very hurt.

Meanwhile, Kayla was also thinking along similar lines. She was intelligent enough to realise that Ricky was a threat. She had always suspected he might be, regretting not bringing him into her, confidence earlier. Yet he was such a loose canon and unreliable, she would have been constantly afraid he’d betray her secret inadvertently. Particularly as Pete was the target for his wrath!

She sought out Sally at the end of the lesson, telling her what had happened.

“Little shit! Why can’t he just let things rest?”

“He was my friend, Sally. I think I was the only friend he had.”

“What will we do?”

“I don’t know. I really don’t. If we tell him, he’ll be a liability and use me against Pete. I don’t want that.”

“I can see why. It’s getting quite serious, girl!”

“Yeah, I wonder why?” Kayla said, looking daggers at her friend.

“Hey, don’t look at me, it was bound to happen, you two are made for each other!”

“The problem is that Ricky knows me too well. We grew up together; he’s even seen me naked in the showers, for fuck’s sake!”

“Calm down, Kay, that might be the answer!”

“What is?”

“Look, when are you going in for the doctor to look at you?”

“Three weeks, why?”

“Okay, it’s half term then, so no school. If we can stall him until after half term, we should be fine. He might suspect you are Kyle, but he would never suspect it if you were seen to be a girl. I mean, a real girl!” she said looking downwards at Kayla’s groin.

“Shit Sally, I don’t know what the hell I am.”

“Stall him. Call him from Sweden or something!”

“Oh right, one-four-seven-one will tell him it’s not from Sweden.”

“Block the call. I don’t know; try something — anything! I agree, we don’t tell him, as he’s potentially dangerous!”

“He might approach you. He knows you were friendly with me before, and he’ll suspect you know something,” Kayla said.

“I’d come to that conclusion. We have to be careful; he is a sneaky little so-and-so.”

“That’s what Pete said.”

“Well, we’re all agreed on that. Shit! Sorry Kay, this is getting complicated!”

“Yeah, we knew it might.”

Kayla went home, telling Ingrid all about what had transpired.

“Oh dear, this could be a problem. I suggest you get him over and clear things up.”

Kayla frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“If he suspects and you clam up, run away and avoid things, he’ll just become more convinced. You must make friends with him and reduce his suspicions.”

“If he suspects, he’ll just see though me. This boy knows me better than anyone, we’ve grown up together!”

“Then we have a problem!”

There was a family meeting that night, as they tried to decide how best to approach the Ricky problem.

“Do you want me to do away with him?” asked Mike.

“Shut up, Mike, if you can’t be constructive, say nothing,” his father said.

Mike grinned at his sister.

“We have to persuade him that he’s wrong,” said Rebecca.

“How? He’s right!” Kayla asked.

“Give him reasons to disbelieve what he thinks he knows.”

“How?”

“One, let him see you aren’t a boy!”

“I’m not!”

“I know that, dear, but you aren’t completely female yet, either.”

“What else?”

“We need to come up with overwhelming evidence that you aren’t Kyle,” offered Mike.

“Like?”

“Documentary evidence would be effective,” said her father.

“Like a driver’s licence?”

“I was thinking more like a passport or something,” said Mike.

“Duh, how am I going to get a passport in a false name for a country I’m not entitled to?” Kayla asked.

There was silence around the table.

“Okay, let’s lower our sights,” said Jake.

“So, I can shoot him!” said Mike with a smile.

“Mike, shut up!”

Kayla was clearly becoming distressed over this issue, so Jake called the meeting to a halt.

“Right, in the absence of any good ideas, I propose to speak to Howard Granger. He might be able to suggest something, or even speak to the boy to cool him off for a while. “If we have to pull the plug, it’ll be a great shame.”

Jake went to his study to use the telephone.
 
 
Ricky was waiting for Sally at the school gates on the following morning.

“Sally?”

“What?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“What?” she asked, still walking quite quickly past him. He had to run to catch her up.

“Your Swedish friend.”

“What about her?”

“She isn’t Swedish, is she?”

“What?”

“She isn’t Swedish. I spoke to her yesterday, and for a second, she had no accent at all!”

“Don’t be silly. She’s just getting better, that’s all.”

“How did you manage it?”

“Manage what?” said Sally, sweating now. Particularly as her friend Rachel was walking past. She stopped just as Ricky said the immortal line.

“To fool the Headmaster. Kayla is Kyle Manning, isn’t she?”

Sally stopped, turned and looked him right in the eye.

“Ricky, what are you on?”

“Did I hear what I thought I heard?” Rachel said. Sally groaned inwardly.

Ricky’s nerve started to fail him. What if he was mistaken? What if he was about to turn everyone against him? Was it worth it?

“Ricky that, is the most stupid thing I’ve ever heard! How could she be? She’s a girl!” said Rachel.

“Okay, so I’m stupid. You’ll see. I’ll expose your plot!” Turning he walked quickly away.

“Can you believe him?” asked Sally.

“I know. He even spread rumours about Pete and Roger being gay. He’s lost the plot!” added Rachel. “Can you imagine anyone thinking Kayla could possibly be a boy?”

“No,” lied Sally.

“I mean, Heather Simons in year nine, she shaves more than most of the upper sixth. Then, there’s Carol Hotchkiss, she’s been to bed with more girls than the first XV,” said Rachel, warming up to the game.

“Okay, Rachel, I get the picture.”

“But Kayla? She’s so obviously not a boy, the guy’s a real dork!”

“Yup, he sure is!”

Sally made for her first class, to be intercepted by the headmaster. She went with him to his study, to find Kayla already there.
 
 
A little later in the day, Ricky was late for class. He ran down the corridor feeling upset and beginning to doubt his own conclusions.

“Mr Hamley. A minute please?”

Ricky turned and saw the Headmaster looking at him over the top of his half-moon glasses.

“Sir?”

“My study, now, please, young man.”

Ricky went.

Howard closed the door.

Ricky stood in front of the desk, wondering what he had been caught at this time. The head was writing on something.

“Just a moment.”

Ricky looked out of the window, and saw Sally and Kayla outside by the art rooms. They were having a heated discussion by the look of it. Kayla had her back to the window, but he could tell it was she. No one else had the long, almost white blonde hair, like her.

The headmaster looked up.

“You’re young Kyle Manning’s friend, aren’t you?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good. He’s calling me in a few minutes, and he asked for you to be here.”

Mike looked out of the window, noticing that the girls were still there. The phone rang. The head answered it, spoke briefly and handed it over to Ricky.

“Hi Ricky, it’s Kyle. How are you mate?”

Ricky stared out of the window. Kayla was standing there, in full view of everyone. He’d been wrong, hideously wrong!

“Hi Kyle. Shit man, am I pleased to hear from you! How’s it going?”

“Good. It’s very different. I have to work hard, as the syllabus isn’t the same. So I have to keep in contact with the school. How’s Kayla?”

“She’s fine. I’m looking out the window at her as we speak.”

“Cool. I spoke to her last night. I hear she’s gone soft on Pete Groves.”

“Yeah, shows very poor taste, if you ask me. Shit, Kyle, she could be your sister!”

“Really?”

“Yeah. She’s very like you. I even thought she was you for a moment.”

“No? You dick. She’s a girl, Bozo, or hadn’t you noticed?”

“I noticed, I just thought….” Ricky tailed off. What did he think?

He watched as Sally and Kayla walked into the art room, arm-in-arm, as always.

“Shit man, you went so fast. I really miss you, when are you coming back?”

“Not sure, after the end of term, I suppose.”

“What are the babes like?”

“Blonde,” Kyle said, and Ricky heard his distinctive chuckle.

“Take care, and be good. Thanks for calling, man.”

“Yeah, you too. Bye.”

Ricky handed the phone back to Mr Granger.

“Thank you sir.”

“You’re welcome. Now, aren’t you late?”

“Sir!” Ricky took off at a run.

Amanda Jenner, model, actress and Howard Granger’s niece, handed the long blonde wig to Sally in the empty art room. She then returned the clothes she had been wearing, slipping her own back on.

“So, what is this all about?”

“Can’t tell you, but it’s very important. I’ll tell you when it’s all over.”

Amanda chuckled.

“I’ve heard of practical jokes, but this is weird.”

“Thanks, you have no idea how important this is.”

“Okay, see you.”

Kayla came out of the small office, from which she had called the Headmaster’s study. She got dressed silently.

“Well?” Sally asked.

“I think he bought it.”

“Think?”

“It’s hard to be sure. He told me everything, his suspicions and everything.”

“Then he did, thank fuck for that!”

“We’ve got to be so careful,” said Kayla.

“You particularly. Your accent slipped, that’s what got him going!”

“Have you any idea how hard it is to speak your own language with a foreign accent?”

“I know, kid, but you have to keep it going!”

“Besides, he caught me with my guard down.”

Sally noticed that Kayla was even speaking with the accent at that moment.

They walked out together, on looking up; Ricky’s pale face was evident, looking at them from the science block.

“We got him!”

Yeah, but for how long?” asked Kayla.
 
 
The weeks shot past. Ricky had gone all quiet after the head’s intervention. The conspirators knew it was a matter of time before he became suspicious again, but it had bought them some time.

Kayla had become engrossed with her studies, her Swedish language lessons with her grandmother and her relationship with Pete. Interspersed with this were various social events and shopping trips with her new girlfriends. Kayla’s feet hardly touched the ground, as she found a completely different life opened up for her.

As time went on, her ‘English’ improved, allowing her to drop the outrageous accent to an easier one, and cutting the number of mistakes she had to make deliberately. The strange fact was, with all the Swedish she used inside Ingrid’s house, she was able to think in Swedish as fast as in English, and the accent became more natural and permanent. When she tried to speak English without it, she found it very hard. This helped in her campaign to confuse Ricky.

Howard and Jake had another meeting and, with Ingrid’s help, a fresh avenue of attack was developed.
 
 
Chapter 10
 
 
Kayla didn’t want to wake up. She felt very groggy, slightly nauseous and in pain. However, as she kept trying to slip back into the peaceful blackness of sleep, someone kept trying to wake her up.

Dimly her mind reminded her of why it was important she wake up, but part of her wanted to stay asleep. However, the nasty person who was persistently shaking her gently wasn’t going away, so she reluctantly forced herself to wake up.

Opening her eyes took an extreme effort, and she instantly shut them again as the light was bright.

“Hello Kayla, welcome back,” said a voice.

She opened her eyes and focussed on the face that swam into her distorted vision.

With the blue medical cap and gown, it took her a while to recognise Mr Sweeney.

“We’re all done, but I need you to listen to me for a while. Do you remember where you are?”

Kayla frowned, as she thought for a moment. Her mind was like cold treacle, but she nodded.

“The Garden Clinic.”

“Good, can you remember who I am?”

“Mr Sweeney.”

“Excellent. You will be going back to your room now, I will let you sleep for a while, then I’ll tell you all about it. But don’t worry, there’s no doubt that you are a girl!”

Kayla lay back on the trolley as it was pushed back to her room. She was asleep before she got there and woke up sometime later.

Her mother was sitting in an armchair, reading a magazine. The curtains were pulled and the lights were quite low. Kayla had no idea of the time.

She had come to the clinic on the previous evening, as a result of her appointment with Mr Sweeney that very morning. The appointment had been a bit of a shock to Kayla, who’d expected an experience similar to the previous one.

However, Mr Sweeney had been quite concerned at the results of the scans that had been undertaken during his time away.

“You, young lady are very complex. I want to get in there as quickly as possible, to sort you out. Now, this is important, have you experienced any pain or discomfort over the last few weeks?”

“Actually, yes. Not pain as such, but certainly discomfort.”

“Go on.”

“Well, here, in my lower tummy, I have felt sort of pressure and a kind of bloated feeling. Some mornings it feels like I needed the toilet, but even after I’d been, the feeling was still there.”

“Any bleeding?”

“I don’t think so.”

Mr Sweeney examined her, noting the slightly larger breasts and further reduction of what she’d thought were male genitalia. In fact, she found wearing the breast forms quite uncomfortable now, as her own breasts, although still small, were sufficiently large to add to the pressure in her bra.

Mr Sweeney showed her the results of the MRI scan. It meant little to her, but it was odd seeing slices of her body in cross section. He pointed out several anomalies.

“This, these and this are not what I’d expect to see inside a male. They are, without doubt, female reproductive organs, slightly immature, but growing. You have no testes; this flesh here is simply fatty tissue and surplus skin. This, here, is an ovary, mirrored by one over here. They are almost normal size, which would indicate they are possibly ready to start ovulation. Once that starts, as I told you last time, your body will try to get rid of the womb lining, and as yet, you have nowhere for it to escape from.

“You, young lady, are coming into the clinic this evening, and I shall operate on you tomorrow morning!”

That is exactly what had happened.

Kayla had told her friends she had, ‘women’s problems’, which required a quick minor operation, and left it at that. The girls were all interested, demanding more information, but the boys decided that they had enough information, changing the subject rapidly.

Pete had been worried, but as Kayla didn’t appear concerned, he relaxed and didn’t press her.
 
 
“Hello, sweetheart, how do you feel?” her mother asked, putting the magazine to one side.

“Woozy.”

“I’ve spoken to Mr Sweeney. What a pickle you’ve turned out to be!”

“Why?”

“He’ll tell you better than I can, but it seems you should never have been Kyle.”

Kayla felt pleased, but also very sleepy, so with a smile fixed on her face, dropped off to sleep again.

Meanwhile, in the Swedish Consulate, Jacob Manning and his mother-in-law were shown into the Consul’s office.

Lens Petersen was a tall fair man, the archetypal Norseman. In his fifty-third year, he was an experienced diplomat, and enjoyed his job. Mrs Clarke’s request intrigued him, after her letter landed on his desk some two weeks previously. It was certainly one of the most unusual requests he’d ever had, so he was looking forward to finding out more.

After greeting them and shaking their hands, they sat in the comfortable chairs in his opulent office. The picture of the current Swedish monarch, King Carl XVI Gustaf, dressed in naval uniform stared down at them from beside the Swedish flag.

“Now, how can I assist you?” he said.

Ingrid spoke for nearly fifteen minutes, without interruption, highlighting Kayla’s unusual situation. Lens asked various questions, read the various doctors’ letters, which explained her unique medical condition.

“Now, you are still a Swedish National, Mrs Clarke?”

“Yes, as is my daughter. She was born in Sweden.”

“Yet, you both have dual nationality, yes?”

“Yes.”

“Has your granddaughter applied for Swedish nationality before?”

“No.”

“Hmm, this is, as you rightly said, a complicated and peculiar situation. I am not in a position to make a decision on this today. I will have to seek advice and Kayla will have to be interviewed at some point.

“I am not unsympathetic, but this case could set precedence and I would hate to make a mistake. I understand she is a normal female, now the surgery is finished?”

“Yes, completely. It was confirmed this morning by the surgeon. Kayla is a normal fertile female.”

“Then the gender issue is not a problem, but the nationality application would need a decision by our immigration service. I will pass on the forms, with a minute explaining the situation. I have to be certain that she would seriously consider making Sweden her home, at least for part of the time.”

“Mr Petersen, my daughter would find her life irrevocably damaged if her true origins became generally known. Now, as young people do, she started down a course that I had no knowledge of, but once started, it gathered momentum, and we find ourselves having to perpetuate a lie in order to live ordinary lives. Our request is not built on any other motive other than one of wanting to live a normal life. She speaks almost perfect Swedish, and has indicated to me that she would be more than willing to make Sweden her home, if it means she can live out her life, free of her past.”

Lens smiled.

“Thank you Mr Manning. I think I understand. I shall do what I can.”

The interview over, Jake and Ingrid left, hopeful that their request could bring Kayla some degree of security for her future.
 
 
“Where’s dad?” Kayla asked.

“He’ll be in soon, as will Mama.”

“It hurts, mum.”

“Badly?”

Kayla frowned as she tried to pin down what she felt.

“Not a sharp pain, a sort of dull ache. Like a deep bruise.”

She looked at the drips feeding her left arm. A urinary catheter snaked its way from under the blanket to a bag discretely hung out of sight by the bed.

“What time is it?” she asked.

“Nearly four.”

Kayla was surprised, as her operation had started at about eight in the morning.

“When did I come up from theatre?”

“Three hours ago. Do you remember speaking to me?”

“Vaguely. I feel slightly sick.”

“Do you want the nurse?”

Kayla shook her head.

“No. Do you know what he found?”

“Yes, it’s as you hoped. You are a girl, sweetie, one hundred percent female.”

“But, what about my bits?”

“Your bits are fine. Mr Sweeney will be in to see you soon, but he told me everything is as normal as could be.”

Kayla lay back against the pile of pillows, closing her eyes. An enormous weight lifted from her. She’d feared being a sort of half person, neither one nor the other. She relaxed and drifted off again.

Rebecca smiled on seeing her daughter’s face relax into a beatific smile. She left her for a moment, seeking somewhere to contact her husband by mobile.

“Jake, it’s me. Where are you?”

“On my way back. How is she?”

“Fine. She is a little groggy, but has been told the good news and is sleeping just now. How did your visit go?”

“I think it was okay. It’s difficult to tell, that’s why they’re called diplomats, they say the right things, but one never knows quite what they’re thinking. I feel there is a chance we’ll be successful.”

“Oh God, I hope so. It would answer all our problems.”

“We’ll have to see. I suggest we don’t tell Kayla in case they don’t go along with it.”

“I agree. She could get her hopes up, only to have them dashed. Far better we give her the good news if it happens that way.”

“Right, that’s settled. How are you, have you eaten?”

“I had a salad in the hospital dining room. I’m not that bothered.”

“We’ll come straight up. Ingrid wants to see her in any case. Has lover boy called?”

“Peter? No. Kayla told him to wait a day. She didn’t want him seeing her all sideways.”

“I thought he might call, just to check.”

“I’ve had both phones switched off, I’ll check Kayla’s in a minute.”

“It’s fortunate that this coincides with half term, otherwise she’d miss some important school time.”

“Jake, she’s doing so well, everyone says she’ll be fine.”

“I can’t really believe this. How can we all have been so blind?”

“I know. But, be happy for her. I think she’s finally who she wants to be.”

“I am happy for her. I feel an arse that I never saw the signs. She must have been so unhappy!”

“She’s making up for it now. That smile was worth everything to me.”

“I just hope she is not in for disappointment should the truth get out!”

“We must make sure it doesn’t!” Rebecca said, forcefully.

“I’ll see you soon.”

Rebecca then switched on her daughter’s phone and had to smile. There were seven text messages from her friends, with four more from Peter. She made her way back to the room when a nurse asked her if she wanted a cup of tea.

“They’re just checking her dressings. Mr Sweeney is on his way, and wants her ready for inspection, so to speak.”

Sure enough, ten minutes later, a suited Mr Sweeney came smiling down the corridor.

“Ah, Mrs Manning, has the butterfly awoken?”

“I think so.”

“Capital. Well, let’s go take a peek!”

Kayla was sitting up in bed, with a nurse clearing away some of the dressings.

“Hello, my girl, how are you?”

“Okay, I suppose. I keep falling asleep.”

“My fault. It turns out I had some extra work to undertake, just to tidy you up. That required additional anaesthetic. But, it’s all done now, and I shouldn’t think I’ll have to see you again!”

All done?”

“Absolutely. We were right, you have a full set of baby-making kit inside you and, by the look of it, it’s all ready to start working, so we weren’t a moment too soon. I constructed what will appear a perfectly normal labia and vaginal opening, including a clitoris. The urethra was tricky, as somehow it came out in your clitoral development, giving you the appearance of being male. Everything is in the right place now. For a while, you may experience some uncontrolled spraying when you pee, but it should settle down as the swelling dies down.”

He peered at his handiwork, Rebecca looking over his shoulder.

“Perfect! It looks a little raw, and slightly swollen. In a week, it’ll look fine, as all the sutures will dissolve. In a few weeks, as the pubic hair grows back, no one will ever know you haven’t always been like this!”

Kayla smiled, looking tired but pleased.

“How long will she be here?” Rebecca asked.

“She can go home tomorrow. I’ll pop in before surgery, at about eight, just to take a last look. Then, come and see me in two weeks, or earlier if you have any problems. I don’t anticipate you will, but one never knows.”

Both were surprised.

“That quick?” Rebecca asked.

“Mrs Manning. You are looking at a perfectly healthy fertile young woman, who has developed rather late, experiencing a minor cosmetic hindrance. All I’ve done is remove the hindrance and tidied things up. The main danger is from infection, so we’ll keep her in for the day, put her on a course of antibiotics and she’ll be right as rain in a week. I don’t advise you to get too energetic for a fortnight, just until the sutures disappear.”

Kayla smiled wearily, nonetheless pleased.

“Right, you can have a light supper tonight, if you feel like it. Take some fluids in any case, although we’ll leave the catheter in for this one night, so you don’t have to worry about the possible spraying problems until tomorrow. I’ll see you in the morning. She’ll be discharged around nine, I should think, Mrs Manning.”

“Thank you, Mr Sweeney.” Rebecca muttered as the surgeon gave them a cheery wave before leaving them alone with the nurse.

“Let me just take the drips out and replace the dressing, then I’ll see if we can get you a cup of something,” the nurse said.

Jake and Ingrid came in a short while later, to find a cheerful Kayla sitting up in bed. She had brushed her hair and applied a little make up. Jake could not see anything of the boy in her.

“How’s my girl?” he asked.

“Hi daddy, I’m fine.”

He gave her a hug and a kiss, regarding the drips with some concern.

“Did you have these in you?”

“They’ve only just taken them away. One was for fluid and the other was a pain relief. I don’t need them any more, I’ve had an orange juice and the pain is bearable.”

Rebecca brought her mother and husband up to date with everything. Jake had known that Kayla was a girl, but he was surprised at how little work was needed to ‘correct’ her condition.

Ingrid and Kayla had a long conversation in Swedish. Rebecca was surprised at how fluent Kayla had become over the last few weeks. She could hear the ‘foreign’ accent in her speech, but it was very subtle and hardly discernable. Rebecca was no longer as fluent, and in a way was slightly envious of her mother’s relationship with her daughter.

“Are you up for a visitor?” she asked Kayla.

“Why?”

Rebecca showed her the text messages from Pete. The last one was:

Can I come and visit u? pls?

“I don’t know if this is a good idea.”

“Why?” asked her father.

“Well, what do I tell him?”

“The truth. You had a small growth that was removed.”

She stared at him, blinking.

“The truth?” she stammered.

“That’s it. Strange as it might seem, it’s actually less complicated than strange stories.”

Kayla giggled a little.

“What about you?”

“We’ll have to be Uncle Jake and Aunt Becca.”

“Daddy, can’t I tell him the whole truth?”

“Kayla, since we started on this little plan, I wasn’t in favour. But now, I can see real benefits. You see, the world is an unforgiving place. If you come out into the open, many stupid people who neither know you, nor understand your situation will assume you are a freak, and they will treat you as such. In seven weeks, school will be over. You can last that long; if you keep playing the part you’ll be fine.”

“Do I still have to, now I’m me?”

“Sweetie, we know you’re you, but to everyone else, you’ll be Kyle the sex-changed boy. Is that what you want?”

“You know it isn’t.”

“Then we stick with the plan. Once school is over, you can go over to Sweden to visit, and let everyone forget about Kayla. You can take your year out, travel the world, do what you want to do, and come back to start afresh at university.”

Jake saw that he’d just hit the nail on the head. Kayla had found a life that she never knew existed, so to be told to leave it all behind was not a pleasant prospect.

“But, Daddy, I don’t know if I can!”

“We’ll have to see what happens at the end of term. We must stick to the plan. The headmaster has gone out on a limb on this, so we must hang in there. It isn’t for much longer!”

“I suppose not. But isn’t it different now I’m really a girl and not a transsexual?”

“It is different, but to a lot of people, there is no difference. They are ignorant and foolish, but they can harm you. Trust me on this. It may have been easier if we hadn’t started the Swedish business, but we have and it can work if we keep our nerve!”

Jake signalled the end of the conversation by handing her the mobile phone.

“Text Pete. Tell him to come and see you.”

Kayla smiled, as her fingers flashed over the small keypad.
 
 
Pete was working on his computer, or rather, he was supposed to be working on his computer, in fact, he was surfing the internet. He was reading everything he could about Sweden. He’d already found where Kayla lived, capturing as many pictures onto his hard drive as he could.

His phone bleeped at him. He reached out and glanced at it. As soon as he saw it was from Kayla, he became interested.

Yes. Come now. Am fine. Room 16. Miss you… K

Grinning, he logged off his computer and raced downstairs.

“Mum, can I take your car?” he asked his mother.

“Oh, what’s so urgent?”

“Kayla has asked me to go visit her in hospital.”

Lynn smiled. She had known a few of Pete’s girlfriends over the last few years, yet none of them completely took over every moment of every day for the lad. Her husband, Martin, had told her that the girl was about the prettiest girl he’d seen in a long time, so she was eager to meet her.

“What’s wrong with her?”

“I’m not sure. She said it was women’s problems. I didn’t like to ask her for any details. If she wants to tell me that’s fine, but to be honest, I’d rather not know.”

“Poor girl, how old is she?”

“Seventeen. She’s eighteen in August.”

“Imagine, being all the way over here, while your parents are in Sweden.”

“Her parents are dead, mum. She lives with her dad’s parents in Sweden. She’s staying with her mother’s mother in Abingdon, and her cousins live just down the street. They’re Kyle Manning’s parents. He’s the kid who’s in Sweden on the exchange for Kayla.”

“So she has family here, then?”

“Yes, I’ve met her gran, she a lovely woman.”

“Okay, stop off for some flowers on the way.”

“Why?”

“Because that’s what girls like. Trust me!”

“Thanks mum.”

“You like her a lot, don’t you?”

Pete nodded.

“More than that, mum, she’s everything to me!”

“Then get her something really nice!”

Pete grinned, taking the  £10 note his mother handed him.

“Thanks.”

She watched him go to the car, sighing. One minute you were changing their nappies, and the next they were driving off to visit their girlfriends in hospital. She sighed again. Next stop grandparenthood!
 
 
Kayla listened to Ingrid’s description of one of the first times she met her husband to be. She tried to imagine Grandpa as a young man, failing miserably. He died when she’d been quite young, and she’d no recollection of him being fit and healthy.

The door opened. Pete popped his head round.

“Pete! How good to see you,” she almost shrieked.

Jake smiled across the room at his wife. Kayla’s accent was automatic. Even recovering from a general anaesthetic, she maintained the Swedish accent.

“Hi, how are you?” Pete asked, handing over an enormous bouquet of red roses.

“Oh, I love roses!” she said.

He grinned self-consciously.

“We’ll leave you for a while. We’ll pop back in an hour or two, okay Kayla?”

“Thanks, Uncle Jake.”

Jake grinned, kissing her on the top of her head.

Pete waited for them to leave, only then approaching the bed. He gently kissed her, to be somewhat shocked and pleasantly surprised at the passion with which she returned it.

A nurse came in and they broke off. The nurse smiled.

“Would you like some supper?”

“Something light, a salad, please?” Kayla replied, waiting for her to leave again.

“So, all fixed?” he asked, noting she was wrapped up in a large dressing gown.

“Ja. I had minor surgery down there. It was not difficult, but was a, how you say, blockage. I’m fine now.”

“Good. My mother was asking, but I don’t think I want to know the details.”

She smiled. He thought she looked remarkably good, despite being in surgery. He told her so.

“It wasn’t serious. Would you like to see?”

Pete swallowed.

“No, it’s okay. I’ll take your word for it.”

“I had just the surgeon remove some extra skin. That’s all,” she said. “I will be home tomorrow. There is just a slight risk of infection; that is why I have the bag.”

Pete saw the catheter and decided that he didn’t want to know any more. He decided that the Swedes were more open about medical stuff than the British.

Kayla giggled at his discomfort.

“You’re teasing me!” he said.

“Ja, a little.”

“You wouldn’t have shown me, would you?”

She shrugged.

“If you like. It is not beautiful, I think. There is some swelling and soreness.”

“Shit, Kayla, you don’t want to show that sort of stuff to people!”

“You are my boyfriend, aren’t you?”

Pete looked at her.

“Yeah, I’d like to think so.”

“Kiss me again?” she said. “And I’ll show you when it’s all better!”

He grinned.

“Deal!” he said, kissing her.
 
 
Lynn was in the kitchen when Peter returned. He hung the keys up in the cabinet and came into the kitchen, whistling and looking very content.

“Well, how is she?”

“Fine. She was looking really good.”

“What was wrong with her?”

“Her English wasn’t that good. She described it as a blockage down there. Nothing serious, just some skin that needed removing. She had a tube attached to her, collecting her pee. Why would they do that?”

“She probably had a growth removed. Infections are so easily picked up; they keep things clean by putting in a catheter. When is she being discharged?”

“Tomorrow. She’s only in for the day.”

“That’s a good sign. It wouldn’t be anything serious. Poor kid, it still wasn’t that nice for her, though.”

“She liked the roses.”

“Oh yes? So you bought a big bunch of red roses, then?”

“How did you guess they were red?”

“Because you’re in love. Red roses mean love, don’t they?”

“Mum! I bought them because they’re her favourite.”

“Yeah, pull the other one. I bet you never knew that until today!”

Pete looked sheepish, so Lynn knew she was right.

“Peter, don’t get too involved with her. She’ll probably go back to Sweden soon and you’ll never see her again!”

“That’s what she said a few weeks ago. She thought it better if we didn’t get serious, but I can’t help it, and I don’t think she can either.”

Lynn frowned.

“She said that?”

“Yeah. Do you remember that time I went to pick up the car, and we took Percy a walk in the rain?”

“Yes, so?”

“She told me that she would be going back to Sweden and she didn’t want to hurt me by allowing us to get too serious. She’s so lovely, Mum, I just can’t help it. She really thought about me!”

“What about her, what did she want?”

“She wanted to be with me, but felt that if we didn’t get serious, then we’d not miss each other when she goes home.”

“Sensible girl. So what happened?”

Pete shrugged and helped himself to a biscuit.

“We sort of agreed to take each day as it comes.”

“And?”

“I think we’ve both sort of got serious.”

“Oh, Peter, and with your A levels just round the corner too!”

“I know, but she’s like no one else I’ve ever met. How do you know when you’re in love?”

Lynn smiled.

“You just know. You just want to be with that person all the time. When you’re apart, you just can’t wait to be with them again. You continually think of them. You smile when you think of them, you feel pain when they hurt, and you cry when they cry. Pete, you just know!”

He smiled.

“That’s what I feel like.”

Lynn gave him a hug.

“Welcome to the club. Just be sensible, because with love comes hurt. Be prepared for that, okay?”

“Yeah. I am.”
 
 
Chapter 11
 
 
The surgeon had let her go on the following morning, as promised, allowing her home to recover. Actually, most of the pain was from the catheter being removed, and she wasn’t really prepared for her first experience of trying to pass urine as a girl.

Mr Sweeney warned her that she might spray a little. That was the understatement of the century! She sprayed almost everywhere but downwards!

She took to stuffing toilet paper down the gap to catch it all before she redecorated the bathroom. After a couple of days, the swelling went down, and by the end of the week, she was able to hear the reassuring sound of water into water every time.

Pete became almost a constant companion. They sat and played cards and board games, or just chatted. With every moment they were together, they became closer and closer.

She was invited over to Sunday lunch by Lynn, who was desperate to see the girl who had stolen her son.

They’d had a very pleasant meal. Lynn found the Swedish girl delightful. She was polite, respectful, helpful and such a gentle soul, she immediately understood what Pete saw in her. As well as being excruciatingly pretty, she convinced Lynn that she was just a very genuine girl.

As they washed up after lunch, which Kayla had volunteered to do, Lynn broached the subject of the girl’s recent medical treatment.

“It wasn’t much, really. I had some silly bit of skin that was causing a, how do you say, obstruction of my vagina. It was making it hard during my period.”

“May I ask a personal question?”

“Ja, of course.”

“Was it because of a boy?”

“You mean sex?”

“I suppose I do.”

“No. This was more basic. It would not have made sex impossible, just uncomfortable. They waited until now, hoping, I think, it would correct itself. But, it didn’t.”

“So…”

“I haven’t had sex, yet. No.”

Lynn smiled. The girl was unashamed and openly honest. She tried to imagine having this conversation with some of the English girlfriends that Pete had brought home over the years.

When Pete took her home later, Lynn remarked on her findings to her husband.

“That girl is simply lovely. If Pete can hang onto her, he’ll be very fortunate.”

“If I was thirty years younger….” her husband replied, to receive a sock in the ear.

Kayla went to her room, on returning home. Ingrid heard her crying. The girl had become more and more ridden by guilt over the deception. It almost became too much to bear!

Ingrid could see what was happening, so she sought out Jake.

“That girl is almost ready to burst!”

“I know. It’s not for much longer.”

“Jacob, she won’t last much longer. We must do something!”

“What can we do? Our hands are tied. We must wait this thing out!”

“We could hurry Mr Petersen?”

“What would that achieve?”

“I have an idea!” she said, and told Jacob what was on her mind.

The following week, Kayla was back at school as if nothing had happened. Ricky kept his distance, but Kayla knew he wasn’t going to go away. Pete was ever in attendance, being so loving and kind that Kayla almost burst into tears every time she saw him. Unbeknown to her, her female hormones were making up for lost time. Oestrogen was surging through her body, whatever the hold-up had been, it was now gone! As a result, emotionally she was on a seesaw, rocking from tears to inexplicable euphoria for no good reasons.

Not only emotionally, she was changing physically too. Her budding breasts were budding no longer. Two firm handfuls rendered the breast-forms almost redundant, although she didn’t wish to obviously slip from a definite C cup to an A cup overnight.

Internally, she experienced the first pangs of ovulation, signalling her equipment had awoken, so she prepared herself for something she never thought she’d experience.

In the midst of this turmoil, A level exams arrived.

Placing all her troubles aside was hard, but she managed to do so. As her contemporaries sat their exams in the main hall, she sat in the Headmaster’s study, all on her own.

Special arrangements had been made for the oral part of the examinations. Kayla used Kyle’s name and exam number, so no irregularities could be alleged.

As Sally tried to think of ways that Kayla could add extra proof of being female, nature helped them along.

Kayla didn’t have to partake of sports at the school, but she enjoyed tennis and swimming.

As her breast-forms were realistic enough for a swimming costume, she had spent the occasional afternoon swimming. Her figure was turning into a classic hourglass shape, and heads did more than turn when she walked past.

Three weeks after the surgical procedure, the surgeon saw her, and pronounced her fit as a fiddle. The swelling had gone down; the sutures had dissolved and disappeared, leaving a perfectly natural looking set of equipment. Her fair pubic hair was returning, so Mr Sweeney could not see any difference between her and a girl born with normal genitalia. He discharged her, wishing her well with her life.

The following week, she went to school without her breast-forms for the first time. Her breasts were not as large as the forms, but they were all her! Needless to say, Pete noticed.

“Um, Kayla, um, what’s happening?”

Kayla blushed.

“I wasn’t very big, so I use a little padding. It has now gone as I am getting bigger,” she explained.

He’d grinned, feeling embarrassed for her.

“I’d love you whatever!” he said and the issue was discarded.

That afternoon, after swimming, Kayla was having a shower. For the first time she was open about it, walking about unselfconsciously naked. Luxuriating in being truly female. She actually wanted people to look at her for the first time ever, knowing she was what she’d always wanted to be. Kerry noticed the blood first.

“Kayla, you’ve come on, girl!”

Kayla looked down, noticing the trickles of deep red down the inside of both her thighs, reaching the pooling water and swirling away towards the drain. Her first reaction was alarm, but Kerry’s casual attitude dispelled the alarm immediately.

Her next reaction was an overwhelming joy. It was as if everything she’d dreamed of had just been confirmed as being real.

“Oh, no. I wasn’t expecting it!”

“Bummer! Have you got your tampons?”

“No.”

“Always carry mine, just in case. I got caught out once. Never again.”

Kayla cleaned herself off, gratefully accepting the tampon offered by her friend. Given some privacy, she worked out how to use it, slipping the tube up her vagina and removing the outer cover.

Thinking that was the end of it, she was aghast that by the time she joined the others in the dining room, everyone knew she’d come on in the showers.

Even Ricky heard the rumour. He’d been in the library when he’d overheard two fifth form girls talking.

“The Swedish girl came on in the shower after swimming, just now,” said one.

“Were you there?”

“Yeah, she was ever so calm about it. She just said she wasn’t expecting it yet.”

“Poor cow, I got caught out like that during a hockey game. Is she okay?”

“Yeah, Kerry gave her a Tampax. She just cleaned herself off and went off to sort herself out. I wish I could be as calm as she was.”

“I wish I had her figure and looks!”

“And her boyfriend!”

Ricky went a little red. He’d come so close to being made to look a complete idiot. Yet, there was something he still wasn’t happy with. Why did Kayla lose her accent, that one time?

He didn’t believe she was Swedish. He couldn’t argue with the fact she was female, as he’d seen Kyle in the showers over the last few years. Although not the best-endowed young man, Kyle was definitely a bloke. He’d also seen Kayla in a swimming costume. There was no way any boy would have a shape and figure like that!

She’d stood in front of him as he had spoken to Kyle on the telephone, so that idea was out the window, but there was something not quite right!
 
 
“But, Jacob, why should you want to adopt your own daughter?”

Poor Richard Stephenson was utterly confused by Jacob’s strange request. He’d been a solicitor for twenty years, and had never had such a request in all those years. He’d been Jacob’s solicitor for the last eight years. They were even in the same Rotary Club.

“You misunderstand, Richard, I don’t need to adopt my own daughter. I want the legal papers to show I have adopted her.”

“You are certainly correct, I do not understand, not at all. Why should anyone want papers to show their natural daughter is adopted?”

“Richard, Kayla is, as you now know, the victim of a rather sad genetic joke. We brought her up as a boy, in the mistaken belief that she was a boy, despite now finding out she’s very much a perfectly normal girl. Everyone knows Kyle, and now everyone knows her as Kayla Olsen, a Swedish relative.

“We’ve created a fictitious person, in order to spare a lovely girl the indignity of being labelled a freak. I admit, we have been slightly over-creative with our fiction, however, the circumstances demanded some sort of action, and before rational thought could be applied, Kayla and her friends had already started something that we could not stop.

“So, whether we are successful in acquiring Swedish nationality for Kayla is incidental, but would add weight to her story. We would like the world to see her as our daughter. We all know who she is really, but in such a closed minded society, we want her past to be as clear-cut as her future and free from the smears of petty minded bigots who can’t see beyond the end of their own inadequacies.”

“So, your daughter is legally your daughter, with an amended birth certificate?”

“Yes. It used to show her as a male, but that was altered officially on the medical evidence.”

“Right, so exactly why do you want top adopt her?”

“Richard, we don’t need to adopt her, we want legal papers to show she is adopted.”

“There’s a difference?”

“You’re the solicitor. As I understand it, legally she is Kayla Manning, who anyone who wants to check can find out she was once Kyle Manning, born a boy. Now, in order to remove that, we want everyone to see her as Kayla Olsen, now the adopted daughter of Jacob and Rebecca Manning, her uncle and aunt.”

“Won’t you need a Swedish birth certificate?”

“Richard, we don’t want to adopt her, we want everyone to think we’ve adopted her.”

“Oh,” said Richard, clearly not understanding at all.

“Okay, let’s go back to the beginning. Stop me if you don’t understand. Kayla was born…..”
 
 
It was a glorious June afternoon. School was over for the week for the A level students. There were one or two more exams for them in the following week, but they’d finished for this week.

Kayla was lying in the grass next to the river Thames, as it slithered past, inexorably towards somewhere else. Her eyes were closed, and she was just enjoying the sun on her face. Pete lay beside her, on his side, supporting his head on one arm, watching the girl next to him. She was wearing a thin pale blue top, with straps rather than sleeves, and a short black denim skirt. Her long blonde hair fanned out on the grass behind her, looking like a halo. What had been quite pale skin was showing a healthy glow, as she reacted to the warm early summer sun. She had that skin that bronzed easily, missing out the red and blistering part.

He watched her firm pert breasts rise and fall with each breath. He thought she was the most beautiful girl in the world. To him she was an angel.

He reached out with his hand and traced the line of her cheek down to the nape of her neck, then down to her shoulder. She opened an eye and, turning towards him, looked him in the eye.

“What you doing?” she asked.

“Admiring something that is so beautiful!”

She smiled; however, her eyes took on that sad look, which he’d seen all too often these days.

“Why so sad?” he asked, knowing what her response would be.

On cue, she shook her head, turning away so he couldn’t see the tears. Misunderstanding that it was because she was due to return to Sweden soon, he didn’t pursue it. He too felt sad, but retained a hope that somehow they could get together in the near future. Pete seriously considered proposing to her, as he felt he never wanted to lose her.

“Kayla?”

“Mmm?”

“Have you ever been in love?”

She turned towards him.

“Perhaps, why?”

“You know I love you?”

“So you’ve told me, lots of times.”

“Good, just so you know.”

“Pete, I love you too. I just hope you can forgive me!”

“I forgive you everything, you know that. But what exactly?”

She shook her head.

“Come on, Kayla, you’ve obviously got something on your mind. It’s eating you up. Please tell me?”

“I can’t. Not yet. Oh, Pete, I love you so much, and I am such a bad person!”

She started to cry again, so he took her in his arms. She sobbed quietly for a few minutes and as the sobs died, he kissed her. She returned the kiss passionately, holding him tightly, as if she was afraid of losing him.

Pete didn’t understand girls!

They walked back towards the house she was staying in, holding hands tightly, as all young lovers do. Pete was slightly troubled, as his girl was increasingly unhappy, yet although she assured him it was nothing of his making, he was still concerned.

“What’s your home like?” he asked, hoping that if she talked about Sweden, she’d feel better.

“Like this. There’s lots of water, fields and farms. Some wild country and towns.”

Realising that conversation was going to be tough, he changed tack, facing her.

“Kayla, I know you’re unhappy. Is it anything to do with having to go back to Sweden?”

She stopped, looking him in the eye.

“No. It’s something else. Having to leave you is part of it. Look, I can’t tell you, not yet anyway. I promise that I will tell you, eventually and when the time is right. But only if you and me are still together.”

“Is it something I’ve done?”

He looked so worried, that she smiled, kissing him.

“Sweet Peter, no, nothing you’ve done. This is of my own making. I must unmake it.”

It suddenly dawned on him, his expression changed.

“Shit! I am so stupid!” he said.

She looked worried.

“What?”

“I know what it is, and I am so sorry. I never thought about him!”

“Who?” she asked worried. Had he guessed?

“I knew I was right! I just knew it. Look, I’ve been a completely selfish arse. You told me, right at the start, but I chose to ignore it. How could I have been so unfeeling?”

“Peter, what is it?”

“Okay, you didn’t want to mention it, so that’s fine. I understand now, and I can see why you don’t want to. I promise that I won’t stand in your way!”

Kayla was perplexed and upset. She hadn’t a clue what he was talking about. It certainly didn’t appear that he’d guessed the truth.

“Pete, stop teasing with me, what do you guess?”

“That’s - stop teasing me, and what did you guess,” he corrected, automatically. “Look, if you don’t want to discuss him, I understand how hard this is for you.”

“WHO?” she shouted, stamping her foot in frustration.

Pete stared at her in surprise. It was the first time she’d raised her voice at him.

“Your boyfriend, back home, of course,” he said.

She relaxed, almost weeping with relief. Yet in a perverse way, she was a little upset that he hadn’t guessed. At least she could end the painful deception.

“Oh, forget him. There is no boy in Sweden. Sally and I invented him to give me a little space. I told you he wasn’t important.”

“Are you sure?”

“Peter, I’ve fallen in love with you. That is one thing I can’t lie about.”

He smiled a little uncertainly.

“What do you lie about?”

She gave him a furtive and sad smile.

“Not real lies, I just don’t tell you everything.”

“Why not?”

She shook her head.

“Don’t ask me. It’s not that time.”

“Will it harm me and you?”

She stared at him her eyes looking so blue and so sad.

“I don’t know. Perhaps. It depends whether you really love me,” she said.

“I really do.”

She stroked his face with her palm. He caught her hand, kissing it.

“Then, I promise not to mention it again, if you promise not to be so miserable about it!”

“I’ll try. Thank you for being so patient with me. I realise I must be bad to live along with.”

He smiled. One her most endearing feature was the way she got little things wrong. Her English had come on really well in the weeks he’d known her, but sometimes she got mixed up.

He said nothing, kissing her again. They stood there, in the middle of the towpath, simply locked together. Kayla felt indescribable feelings. It was as if her innards were aglow and melting. She felt a slow passion building up, accentuated by the awareness of Pete’s arousal, which she could feel through their clothes.

They held each other tightly, and her nipples hardened under his caressing touch, passing electrifying sensations through her whole being. She felt a dampness between her legs, understanding her body was telling her it was ready, if she chose to surrender to him.

She broke off, breathless and aching with desire. He looked down at her, his own passion barely checked.

“I love you,” she whispered.

He kissed her again, nuzzling her neck below her ears. The small diamond studs gleamed, as she tilted her head back allowing him more freedom to nuzzle.

She dropped one hand, caressing the outside of his trousers, feeling the monster within, aching to be set free to attain the dark and damp cleft that was his sole ambition.

She understood the drives that made men and women become parents. For the first proper time, she was almost overcome by sexual desire and passion. Almost!

She broke off again, this time completely. Peter stared at her, breathing deeply, and reaching for her.

“No. I promise before we ever go that far, you will understand. That way, neither of us will be hiding anything!” she said. Then, turning, she walked off towards her home.

Peter watched her go, his heart racing, as his body returned to near normality.

He ran after her.

“Kayla, wait!” he shouted, but she kept walking.

“Kayla, for fuck sake, wait up!”

She stopped and turned round. He ran up to her. She stared up at him and, once again, he saw tears in her eyes.

“Stop tormenting yourself, please?”

She smiled.

“Soon. I promise.”

“Look, do you remember we talked about the Summer Ball?”

“Yes, my first day, wasn’t it?”

He grinned, nodding.

“Yeah. Will you come as my partner?”

“If you’d like me to?”

“You have to ask that?”

She smiled.

“I’d like to. Thanks.”

“Okay. Go and sort yourself out. I’ll see you later.”

“Why, what’s happening?”

“We’re going to a party.”

She frowned.

“Where, what party?”

“Kirsty, Roger’s sister, it’s her birthday, remember? I told you about it last week.”

“Oh, yes. Sorry, I’d forgot.”

“Forgotten, you’d forgotten. Never mind, wear something sexy, I’ll pick you up at half seven.”

“Okay,” she said, giving him a smile that seemed to wipe all the sadness away.

“It’s getting harder, isn’t it?” Ingrid asked her as she walked in.

“Oh, Gran, I can’t bear it any more! I almost told him today. He knows something is wrong. I can’t keep lying to him. It’s not fair on him, is it?”

“Not really, but think of the alternative.”

“I do, but I’m getting so tired of pretending.”

Ingrid smiled, for even though the girl was clearly upset, her Swedish was more fluent than ever. She could just discern that Kayla was not natural born, but with the various local accents, it would probably go unnoticed.

“There’s not so much pretending any more, is there?” she asked.

“How do you mean?”

“Well, you’re not pretending to be a girl anymore, are you?”

“I suppose not. It’s the Swedish thing, really, and not being able to be Kayla Manning.”

“What’s in a name, sweetie. You’re still you!”

“You know what I mean.”

“Yes dear, I know. But while you’re still living here, going to school and generally existing in a very small pond, these things matter. In a few short weeks, you’ll be able to spread your wings and leave all the pretence behind.”

“Yeah, and then what?” she said in English. Turning away, she went upstairs to her room.

Shaking her head sadly, Ingrid went back into the kitchen. Picking up the phone, she punched in a number.

“Jacob, how did you get on?”

“Promising - I’ve an appointment at the consulate this evening at six. The solicitor was difficult to convince, but that was only because we’re doing something unique. When he could finally grasp what we were doing, he was helpful. We’ve managed to get the official birth certificate altered, so there’s no need for a deed poll, or anything else. I’ve Kayla’s new applications for passport, driver’s licence and everything. Obviously all as Kayla Manning, so the immediate problem hasn’t been solved yet, but we’re getting there.”

“Shall I come with you to the consulate?”

“We’re all going. They want to interview Kayla.”

“Oh, shall I tell her?”

“I’ll drop by when I get back from work. I’ll tell her then, on the way.”

“I don’t think she’ll be here. She’s going out.”

“Damn. Why?”

“Some birthday party.”

“Oh, right, I’ll come back a bit early. Will she be there at five?”

“I think so.”

“See you then.”
 
 
Kayla was surfing the internet. She occasionally logged into Sapphire’s Place and Maddy Bell’s site. She liked some of the stories that seemed to go on forever. In particular, she adored the story of Gaby on Maddy’s site. She was able to identify with Drew/Gaby, hoping that s/he found where he would be happy.

Ingrid knocked on her door.

“Ja?”

Ingrid came into the room.

“Your Papa will be here at five. He needs to talk to you.”

“What about?”

“You.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think he’s got some news about your identity.”

Kayla frowned.

“I don’t understand.”

“Neither do I, he’ll be here at five. Have you decided what to wear tonight?”

“I don’t think I want to go. The way I feel, I’d just make everyone miserable.”

Ingrid gave the girl a hug. She knew enough not to push it.

As it happened, Jake was a little late. He was surprised that the girl was moping in her room. The girl he had come to know recently would normally have been bubbly and eager to go to the party.

“Hi Daddy,” she said, giving him a sad smile and a hug.

“Getting you down, all this?”

She nodded, still with her arms wrapped round his chest and the side of her face against his shoulder.

“Well, I’ve some good news. You are now officially a girl. Your new birth certificate came through this morning, showing that you are registered as a girl. I want you to sign some application forms.”

He disengaged from her embrace, opening his brief case and placing some sheets of paper on the desk. Kayla signed them with little interest.

“What’s really bugging you?”

“I can’t tell Pete the truth.”

“Oh. Well, this evening, we’re all off to the Swedish consulate, to make the truth something nearer our lie.”

She frowned.

“What?”

“We’ve applied for your entitled Swedish nationality - as Kayla Olsen. They want to interview us all this evening. That way, we’ll just have to adopt you to our family.”

“What about Kyle?”

“What about him?”

“Won’t everyone ask questions when I turn up with his A levels?”

“Howard has sorted those out. They are in your name, Kayla Manning.”

“So what happens when he never comes back from Sweden?”

“Who’s to bother? We’ll tell the family, and Kyle didn’t exactly have the most sociable lives, did he?”

“There’s Ricky.”

“Okay, you have to deal with Ricky.”

“What about Peter?”

“What about him?”

“Dad, I think I love him, I can’t lie to him.”

“You must do what you think is right. By doing this, we are getting you to be Swedish, as well as English, so we can formally adopt you as our daughter.”

“Dad, I am your daughter, how can you adopt me?”

“We’re not adopting you, we’re adopting Kayla Olsen.”

“Huh?”

“Look, what is the main problem, is it the gender issue, or the identity issue?”

Kayla shrugged.

“I’m not sure. If everyone knew that I was Kyle Manning, the gender issue, I suppose. I can see how they’d make life really difficult. It’s not something you can do and expect life to go on as usual, is it? But with Pete it’s the identity issue. I don’t want to live a lie any more.”

“Sweetie, you started this, so you have to see it through. You tell him what you like. If it’s the truth, you have to be prepared for his reaction, and the fact that everyone else may get to know. What we hope to do is find a permanent middle way. And once done, it leaves you open to tell the truth to those you trust, in the fullness of time!”

“Which is?”

“Let’s wait until after the interview,” he said, looking at his watch. “We should get going soon, do you want to change?”

“In other words, you don’t like what I’m wearing.”

“No, you look fine, but I’m not sure the Consul will be impressed with grass or your arse!”

She brushed the offending anatomy with her hands, blushing delightfully.

“Why don’t you put on what you were going to wear to the party?”

“I wasn’t going, Daddy, I really don’t feel like it!”

“Trust me; you just might in a couple of hours.”

They arrived at the consulate at exactly six pm. Kayla was wearing a sleeveless black dress, the hem of which came down to her knees. With high heels and a white jacket, she looked stunning.

Lens Petersen wasn’t sure what he expected, but it certainly wasn’t this tall and exceptionally attractive young woman. As her mother and grandmother entered his office, he instantly saw the family resemblance. Ingrid he’d met before, but as mother and daughter stood side by side, they looked remarkably similar.

Both had fair hair and high cheekbones, with slim, athletic figures and in Kayla’s case, chillingly blue eyes. Kayla was slightly taller, yet along side her very large father, she seemed willowy by comparison. He tried very hard to see any trace of masculinity, yet failed miserably.

He half expected an androgynous creature, whose strange genetic condition caused a sort of neither-nor person. Once he established that this was not a gender issue, but an identity crisis, he was able to focus on the task at hand. Understanding completely the types of problem that this young woman would have to face in the town in which she had grown up as a boy, he began to appreciate fully the reasons they now gathered in his office.

However, as he settled down and began to question her about her situation, she surprised him further by replying in fluent Swedish, despite his questions being in English. Lens had lived in the United Kingdom for nearly ten years, yet he could hardly discern a trace of English accent in Kayla’s speech. Only some of the words she used gave away the fact she was not a native-born Swede.

He switched to Swedish, asking her about her past, her current studies and her ambitions for the future. Jake was the only one unable to follow the conversation, but his wife and mother-in-law could only marvel at the fluency with which Kayla replied and the whole manner in which she conducted herself.

In the course of the interview, Lens went from trying to decide how to turn these people down, to seeking to assist them in any way he could.

Finally, ending the interview, he asked the family to wait in the antechamber so he could consult with an aide. The consultation took only fifteen minutes, yet the family were on edge by the time he called them back into the office.

“Mr Manning. I have consulted with the Ambassador and his chief adviser on immigration affairs. I am pleased to inform you that your request has been granted, so your daughter has been granted Swedish nationality. Owing to the unusual circumstances, I believe that it is in the interests of both your daughter and our respective countries that we give Kayla a chance at starting over afresh. I am satisfied that she is a bright and intelligent young woman, who will be an asset to whichever country she eventually decides to call her home.

“Many such decisions are made for humanitarian, political, religious or economic reasons. This one is personal, yet for all the best reasons. Congratulations, Miss Olsen. I understand you wish to adopt your grandmother’s maiden name in the short term?”

Kayla stood stunned, as the truth of the situation dawned on her.

“Y-y-yes please.”

“Excellent, then if you would just pop next door, my associate will complete some papers while I talk to your parents.”
 
 
The family returned home, arriving at twenty past seven. Kayla had possession of her naturalization papers, stating she was Kayla Olsen, a Swedish National. Her passport was to be delivered in ten to fourteen days, but she was still stunned at the events. She was surprised to see Richard Stephenson, the family solicitor waiting in his Mercedes outside their address.

She walked into the house in which she had grown up. She felt very strange. A new beginning was being handed to her, one in which she could literally forget her past.

However, she did not actually want to.

Some may have felt bitter and twisted about never being allowed to be the person they should have been. Some may have felt anger at being denied their real self for so long. Kayla felt none of these emotions. She felt an overwhelming sense of love for the people who had done nothing but love her for who she was, regardless of outward signs or inward turmoil. They had never stopped loving her throughout all the problems.

Kayla knew from her research that some families had used violence against their transgendered children; others had hounded them out of their homes into a brutal and unforgiving world.

Jake took out a large and legal looking piece of paper.

“Miss Olsen, as your natural parents died in tragic circumstances, would you agree to become a member of this family here in England?” he asked in a mock-formal voice.

“I’d be honoured, sir,” she replied, her Swedish accent very obvious.

“Sign here, please.”

She signed, as did all the family. The document was counter-signed by Richard, who was shaking his head and grinning like an idiot.

“Legally this document is relatively superfluous, but as a family document this is sufficient for your needs. Congratulations Jacob, you’ve just adopted your daughter!”

Richard left, still grinning at the lengths some people would go to get what they wanted. He was just driving off when Peter pulled up in his mother’s car.

He rang the doorbell.

Kayla answered.

“I went to your grandmother’s place, as you weren’t in, I thought you might be here. What’s happening?” he asked.

Kayla was smiling from ear to ear. She looked a completely different person compared to the girl he’d see earlier in the day. She was dressed in a stunning outfit, so he smiled, hopefully.

“Come in. Meet my parents.”

“Your parents are here?” he asked surprised. “I thought they were, you know, dead!”

She pulled him in and introduced him to Jake and Rebecca.

“I live here now, for good. I have English and Swedish nationality, so these are now my parents!”

“I don’t understand,” Pete said.

“You don’t need to. I have now the dual nationality, as I am adopted here.”

“Wow, so you’re not going back to Sweden?”

“Not for some time. Unless you want to come on a holiday with me?”

“So, why were you so unhappy?”

“I didn’t know if I could. It is not usual.”

“And so you’ve found out you can?”

“Ja, isn’t it great?”

Pete realised that Kayla wasn’t going to go away in a few short weeks. Despite the grey day and drizzle, the sun suddenly came out inside his little world. His grin grew until it threatened to decapitate him.

“So, ready to go to the party?”

“Of course, why do you think I dress up?”

“You look wonderful!”

Kayla hugged her parents and Ingrid before leaving on the arm of her boyfriend.

“Our little girl has all grown up!” Rebecca said.

“At least we avoided puberty!” said Jake with a grin. “I need a strong whisky!”
 
 
Chapter 12
 
 
Roger Groves wasn’t desperately looking forward to the party. Kirsty was sixteen, so most of those invited were her year group from school. He’d been allowed to select thirteen of his buddies to keep him from moaning too much. His current girl of the moment was Georgina Nash, so with a few from school, Pete’s American cousins and the absolute babe of a Swede, his group was complete.

Kirsty had wanted to invite nearly eighty people, but her parents had put a ceiling at fifty. The house was full to bursting with that many. All fifty pimply sixteen year olds had turned up, as well as the fourteen of Roger’s age. Their parents had six friends, godparents, as moral support, planning to retreat to the pub after the meal.

Needless to say, Sally was still flavour of the month with Rob Rickman, so she was there. Kayla and Sally screamed with delight when they saw each other, stunning everyone by disappearing to the loo immediately.

Kayla brought Sally up to speed with developments.

The latter gaped and shook her head at the speed things had happened.

“So, let me get this right, you’re now Swedish, for real?”

“Ja.”

“And a real girl?”

“Ja.”

“And English?”

“Yup.”

“And officially your parent’s daughter, adopted and natural?”

“Yup. Simple, isn’t it?”

“No. Who the fuck are you?”

“I am legally Kayla Olsen, Swedish national. I am also Kayla Manning, British Subject.”

“Okay, I’m sure that something is not legal, but who the hell am I to complain?”

“You, Sally girl, are the author of this complicated saga. It’s all your fault!”

They left the loo, rejoining their small group.

Several of the girls who didn’t know Kayla, eyed her enviously. Roger’s parents and their friends couldn’t help but notice the strikingly attractive blonde girl who was with Peter. The tall Scandinavian girl seemed to know many of those who went to the school, yet she was really down to earth and good company.

Roger’s mother called him over before they had dinner.

“Who’s the pretty blonde with Peter?” she asked.

“Oh, that’s Kayla Olsen. She’s a Swedish exchange student.”

“Oh, that’s her!” Ruth Groves said, having heard quite a few people talk about an attractive foreign girl.

Henry Groves came over.

“What’s that?” he asked, only part heard the conversation.

“The tall blonde girl, in the black dress with the white jacket, that’s the Swedish exchange student everyone has been talking about,” his wife told him.

“Really? Roger, come on, introduce us!”

Roger approached Kayla, who was chatting to Kelly Rickman.

“Kayla, come meet my folks. My Dad’s bursting to meet you,” he said, slightly embarrassed.

Kayla accompanied him over to where his parents were standing.

“Dad, Mum, this is Kayla Olsen, from Sweden. Kayla, this is Henry and Ruth Groves, my parents.”

“I am pleased to meet you. You are very kind to allow me to come. Thank you,” she said, shaking their hands and smiling.

“It’s a pleasure, my dear. We knew if young Peter came, you wouldn’t be far away,” said Ruth.

Kayla blushed, smiling.

“I am pleasing to making the acquaintance of yourself!” said Henry in very basic Swedish.

“How wonderful! You are the first British person who has spoken to me in Swedish. Thank you so much!” she said, in her virtually fluent Swedish.

Ruth looked surprised, Roger looked disbelieving while Henry just looked pleased with himself. He did, however, continue in English.

“I’m sorry my dear, I am terribly rusty. I once went backpacking in Sweden, so I picked up the rudiments when I was in my gap year. Rather too long ago now.”

Kayla and Henry spent twenty minutes talking about Sweden, as Roger went off to find Pete.

“Don’t look now, but my dad is chatting up your girlfriend!”

Pete glanced over at Roger’s father. He saw Kayla doing what she did best, charming people.

“Well, I’ll only get worried when they start undressing each other,” he said with a grin.

They watched Kayla and Henry Groves from a distance. Pete could only admire the way Kayla charmed everyone she met. With a smile, she kissed Henry’s cheek and returned to where they were standing.

“You’re dad is fun, I think,” she said to Roger.

“I never knew he spoke Swedish,” he admitted.

“He doesn’t, at least not much,” she said, chuckling.

Everyone was standing around, drinking and chatting. Finally, they were instructed to start helping themselves at the buffet in the dining room. Pete was astounded at Kayla’s change in demeanour over the afternoon. She sat on the next to Pete with Rob and Sally on the next stair down.

They had decorated the house with white and blue balloons, matching the table decorations. Gradually everyone found somewhere to sit, either on chairs or on the floor. Kayla sipped her wine cautiously, but feeling more relaxed than she had in ages.

“So, why has your English family legally adopted you?”

“I want to stay and study here, perhaps. As my grandparents in Sweden are not able to have me at their home, due to not being well, the family had a conference and we decided that it would make my university choices greater.”

“Wow, does that mean you are officially British as well?”

“My mother was born here, so I have dual nationality,” she said, not uttering one word of a lie.

“Cool!”

They ate for a minute as the full implications sank into Pete’s brain.

“So, are you going back to Sweden after the end of term?”

“I may have to, we’ll see.”

“So will your qualifications be recognised by our universities?”

“Yes,” she said, knowing her A levels would be just fine, if she was successful, that is.

Roger changed the subject to one of athletics, and Kayla was able to relax again. She desperately wanted to tell Pete the truth, but at least she was able to avoid telling outright lies now.

They finished their food, moving into the main living room where a disco had been set up. After a few minutes of dancing, Kayla became aware her mobile was vibrating in her pocket. She left the room and answered it. It was her mother.

“Kayla, we have a problem.”

“What?”

“It’s Ricky Hamley; his mother has just called. Apparently, he’s been ever so depressed of late and gone missing. They want Kyle’s phone number believing he’s the only person who would know where he’d go. You see Kyle was his only friend. They fear he’s going to kill himself!”

“Oh shit!”

“Sorry love, but we have to do something!”

“Okay. I’m stuck without any means of getting anywhere.”

“We could come and pick you up, if you want?”

“No. Now is as good a time as any!”

“Kayla, what are you going to do?”

“What I should have done a long time ago. I’ll see you later.”

She hung up, returning to where Pete was waiting for her.

“I need to speak to you,” she said, turning and walking straight out of the house. With a concerned expression, Pete followed.

He found her standing with her back against his car, arms folded and looking quite upset.

“Pete, you know I’ve been upset and moody of late?”

“Yeah,” he said, cautiously.

“Okay, it’s time I told you the truth. I never meant to fall in love with you. It wasn’t supposed to happen that way. I certainly didn’t expect you to feel the same way.”

Pete tried to take her hand, but she resisted.

“No, wait a moment, please, Pete. I have to tell you some stuff that will cause both of us pain, and I’m sorry for not telling you before.”

“Hey, don’t worry…”

“No! Just wait before you say anything. This is tough enough for me to explain. I want you to realise that everything I’ve said and done was to prevent either of us getting hurt, embarrassed or ostracised. It started as a joke, almost, but before I knew what had happened, I was in so deep, I couldn’t back out.”

She paused, trying to work out the best way to approach this.

“Hey, what’s happened to your accent?”

“Pete, I don’t have an accent because I’m as English as you. My real name isn’t Olsen, it’s Manning.”

“Huh?”

“That’s the easy bit. It all started when I was much younger….”
 
 
By the time she finished, she was sobbing. Pete stood looking at her, completely speechless.

She turned away, placed both arms on top of the car, rested her head on her arms and sobbed her heart out. Pete struggled with the information she’d just imparted.

“Howard knows?” he asked, astounded at the fact the Head teacher went along with the deception.

She nodded, still crying.

“Can I ask one question?”

She nodded, still not looking at him.

“You always have been a girl, even though you didn’t know it?”

She nodded again.

“Shit, you poor bloody cow!”

He then moved over to her, placing his arms around her.

“Come here, my shoulder is a hell of a lot softer than the roof.”

She clung to him as if it was all that mattered. For her, at this moment, it was!

“My God! This is amazing. You were Kyle?”

She nodded against his shoulder, still crying.

“Fuck me; I’m amazed no one noticed!”

“So am I, but then Kyle was hardly the obvious type,” she said, her voice muffled by the boy’s shoulder.

They were silent for a few moments. She’d calmed down and was giving little sobs every now and again. He held her tightly, realising that if anything, the deception showed how bright and clever she’d been. He also realised that he loved this girl, regardless of what she’d been before. He told her.

The sobs renewed, but through happiness. She kissed him, smiling through the tears.

“One condition!” he said.

“What?”

“We tell no one else. This is between us, for your sake. I can see why you did what you did and accept it was a bloody good idea. Okay?”

She nodded.

“Okay, now get in the car; we’ll go find that little shit. If you sort out your make up, you look like a fucking Panda. I’ll let Roger know we’ve got a problem. Okay?”

She smiled and kissed his cheek.

“Thanks, I don’t deserve you,” she said.

“Hell, Kayla, you deserve better than me!” he then opened the car so she could use the mirror, returning into the house to speak to his friend.
 
 
Ricky was under a bridge a fair distance out of the town. It wasn’t a road bridge, it simply allowed the farmer access to some fields on the other side of the river. He’d followed the towpath along the banks of the Thames to a place where he and Kyle had gone swimming in happier days. He was feeling about as low as he could get. With Kyle in Sweden, he had no real friends in his school. This was mainly due to the fact he came over as an irritating fool at times, but there were deep issues relating to his dyspraxia and family circumstances that few knew about. His parents had adopted him when he was very young, he only found that out a few weeks before the beginning of term, it further lowered his self-esteem. Kyle was the only person outside the family who knew. Ricky missed his friend dreadfully.

He wasn’t suicidal, but he was exceptionally depressed and generally fed up with his life. As he sat under the bridge, watching the river slide inexorably by, he wondered how easy it would be to end it all.

Idly, he threw pebbles into the water, watching the concentric rings ripple against the bank. He liked it here. It was peaceful and away from his problems. Once more, his mind turned to the possibility of ending his life.

He heard someone approaching. Cursing he ducked into the shadows, hoping they would pass by and leave him in peace.

“Ricky?”

It was Kyle’s voice.

How could he have got back so fast?

His Mum must have called his mother.

He sat there, feeling embarrassed.

“Ricky, are you there?”

There was something strange about the voice.

“Come on, Ricky, stop fucking about. It’s okay. I promise!”

He came out of his concealment, looking over to where the voice came from. He was confused, as he could only see Kayla, the Swedish girl.

“Are you okay?” she asked. It was Kyle’s voice, almost.

“Huh?”

She came over to him.

“You were right. I’m sorry, Ricky, I couldn’t tell you.”

He took a step back.

“Who the fuck are you?”

She smiled.

“I’m Kayla now, but I was Kyle.”

“What the fuck?”

“Ricky, I discovered that I wasn’t a boy. I’ve always been a girl, but didn’t even know it myself. I had a sort of confused plumbing arrangement, which is now all sorted. I couldn’t tell anyone, because I’d get such shit off everyone, my life would have been made so difficult.”

Ricky, his own problems forgotten for the moment, stared at the stunningly pretty girl in the elegant dress and white jacket. Her black stiletto heels were hardly ideal for this terrain. She looked beautiful.

“I don’t understand, why couldn’t you tell me?”

“It had to be a secret, I couldn’t tell anyone. Only Sally and the headmaster knew.”

“But, I thought we were friends?”

“We are, why the fuck do you think I’m standing here, revealing the secrets that could destroy me, if I wasn’t your friend?”

That made Ricky think.

“You could have told me. I wouldn’t have told anyone,” he complained.

“I couldn’t take that risk, particularly as Pete and I sort of became friendly.”

“Sort of? Fucking hell, I thought you two are shagging!”

She stared at him without changing expression.

“Pete and I are very fond of each other. He came with me to find you. He’s with the car, over there by the trees,” she said pointing to a small wooded area to their left.

“Does he know?”

“Of course. I had to tell him tonight.”

“And he’s still with you?” he asked, surprised.

“As I said, we’re very fond of each other. Look, Ricky, I’m risking everything to help you, so give me some slack, okay?”

Ricky nodded, still trying to understand what had happened.

Kayla carefully sat on the stone parapet of the bridge next to Ricky. There was dried cow shit everywhere, and as the light became less, the likelihood of treading in some improved with every moment.

“So, what’s the problem?” she asked.

“Fucking everything! No bugger likes me, I’ve dipped my exams and my parents couldn’t give a shit!”

Kayla looked at him, he felt uncomfortable under her direct gaze.

“Bollocks! Your parents really care about you, but you treat them like shit. In fact, you treat most people like shit. Why do you think I never told you about my problems? Well, it’s because you’d try to use me to get back at Pete and Roger. Instead of just trying to get on with people, you keep trying to score points off them. I don’t understand why, but even I find you annoying at times. We have been friends for ages and I am still your friend. Ricky, it’s time to grow up. I have, and I like the person I have become, but I need to understand who you really are. What is your problem, I mean for real?”

Ricky started to cry.

Kayla put an arm round her friend’s shoulder, so he rested his head against her. He was quite emotional, taking some time to release the pent up emotions.

“Let me call my mum and tell her you’re okay?”

He nodded.

Kayla rang her mother and then Pete.

“I’ve found him. He’s okay.”

“Do you need a hand?”

“Not yet, he’s upset at the mo.”

“Okay, call me if you need me.”

“I will.”

She terminated the call, turning her attention back to Ricky.

“Okay, tell aunty Kayla all about it!”

“When did you realise you weren’t a real boy?”

“I first thought I was different ages ago, but I only knew I was a girl a few weeks ago when I went to the doctor. I never imagined I was a normal girl underneath everything. Why?”

“I get strange feelings too. I started dressing in my mum’s clothes ages ago, as I don’t feel I belong as a boy. The feelings have been getting stronger and stronger. So much so, I can’t really control them any more. I never suspected you felt the same way.”

Kayla was very surprised.

“You, you feel the same things?”

Ricky nodded.

“I have done for ages. Only I know I’m not part girl. I’m physically a boy, it’s just inside my brain I know I should have been a girl.”

“Shit!”

Ricky laughed.

“See how bloody ironic this whole thing is. I knew you weren’t exactly right, but I couldn’t argue with the evidence. I just knew you weren’t Swedish. I wish you could wave the same magic wand for me!”

Kayla’s mind was reeling. Ricky was a transsexual, so he’d probably been suffering at the same time as she’d been feeling similar torment. Suddenly she felt an overwhelming sorrow for him, and anyone else going through this terrible experience of conflicting emotions, desires and yearnings.

“You poor sod!” she said, hugging him.

“What can I do?” he asked, with a note of desperation in his voice.

“You’re eighteen, you do what you feel is right for you. I’d suggest you see your doctor and take things slowly. I read up on all the procedures thinking I’d need them. Would you like me to come with you?”

“Yeah, please. But I have to tell the folks first. That’s going to be hard!”

“We’ll have to keep this quiet until the end of term. Then you’ll be free to follow your dreams. I often wondered whether your macho image and outrageous behaviour was in compensation for something, now I know!”

Ricky smiled.

“When you appeared and I suspected you were Kyle, I was almost excited. Then I heard about you coming on in the showers and I felt quite let down. I wouldn’t have told anyone, you know?”

“I know that now, Ricky, but I couldn’t take the risk.”

“Yeah, I guess I was hardly the reliable type.”

“Hardly!” she agreed with a smile.

“My parents will be worrying.”

“They are.”

“I feel awful.”

“Now I know why. People like us aren’t encouraged to share our feelings. Look at us, both screwed up and both unaware that the other was as screwed up.”

“Thank fuck you’re here! I felt so alone, Kayla.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. You’re here now.”

“Yeah, so I can help you through this!”

“What do I tell them?”

“Who, your parents?”

“Yeah. I mean, how do I tell them I think I’m the wrong gender? What did you say?”

“I told the truth. Dad was just grateful I wasn’t gay.”

Ricky laughed.

“”So, what’s it like?”

“Being a girl? Brilliant. I’ve come home, Ricky, this is where I belong!”

“You always were a lucky bastard!”

“I’ll be alongside you all the way, I promise. I’ll make up for not telling you.”

“You’d better. I’m so alone, Kayla.”

They hugged again, then slowly made their way to where Pete was waiting.

Pete got out of the car as they approached. It was getting dark, yet Ricky could see the expression on the other boy’s face. Pete was concerned for Kayla, as he looked at and met her eyes.

“Okay?” he said.

“Yup,” she said.

“Pete, I’m so sorry I’ve been such an arse,” Ricky said.

“Yeah, you have.”

“Pete, he had reasons. Believe me, very good reasons. It’s not his fault, not completely!” Kayla said.

“Jump in, we’ll take you home.”

Although a good hour’s walk from his house, it only took them a few minutes to get Ricky home. As Pete pulled up outside, Ricky’s parents came rushing out expressing anger and concern mixed. Emotions were running high. They both started speaking at once, raised voices causing the neighbours to twitch behind their curtains.

Ricky wasn’t even out of the car, yet both parents were shouting at him. Kayla stepped in and calmed them down. Pete noted the accent automatically returned. He wondered how she would manage this explanation. He stayed in the car as she took Ricky inside.

It was tough on him, but Ricky told them everything. Kayla explained that Kyle had called her, telling her where Ricky would have been. The truth would have been even more unbelievable, so once more, some more people believed this girl was capable of walking on water. She sat by him as he told his parents all his deepest and darkest secrets.

They took it reasonably well. Mrs Hamley had suspected for some time, as her clothes had been interfered with on a regular basis. Mr Hamley was dumfounded and struck speechless. At least he didn’t get angry or violent. Kayla sat and helped them come to terms with the news, even suggesting the next steps of consulting with doctors and help groups. There was some shouting, tears and it ended up with them all hugging.

She left at this point, leaving them to sort things through by themselves. Pete was almost asleep in the car.

“Thanks for waiting. You needn’t have done.”

“Yes, I did. You okay?”

“Yeah. It’s amazing, you think you know people.”

She got in the car.

“Do you want to go back to the party?” he asked.

She looked at her watch. It was after ten o’clock.

“Do you?”

“Honestly? I don’t care. As long as I’m with you.”

They sat there for a minute. Pete just watched her.

“I’m so sorry. I was so wrapped up in myself, I never thought about you or Ricky. Can you forgive me?” she asked.

“There’s nothing to forgive. I’m just grateful that you’ve been honest with me at last.”

“I wanted to tell you before, but was so afraid of you getting hurt.”

“I’m big enough. So, what’s up with Ricky?”

She started to laugh, but with little humour.

“I can’t tell you, not yet anyway.”

“Don’t tell me he wants to be a girl as well?” he asked, joking. However, seeing the sharp look she gave him, he balked.

“No Shit! Really?”

“Don’t you fucking tell anyone, okay?”

Placing both hands up in surrender, he agreed never to breathe a word to anyone.

“It’s not catching, is it?” he asked with a smile, receiving a hard punch to his shoulder.

“I hope not. I rather like you as a bloke!”

“That makes two of us.”

“Take me back to the party, please. There’s this guy I’d like to dance with.”

Pete grinned and drove them back to Roger’s house.

Meanwhile Ricky sat on the sofa, his mother’s arms around him, feeling an enormous weight had just been lifted from his shoulders. He still faced immense challenges, but at least he wasn’t alone any more.
 
 
Chapter 13
 
 
“Stand still, how the hell do you expect me to get this right if you keep trying to see yourself in the mirror?”

“Sorry,” said Ricky.

Kayla and Sally were both working hard trying to transform the shorn Ricky into an attractive female. It was now the day before the Summer Ball. It had been a tempestuous couple of weeks. Ricky had been to see the doctor, identified as suffering from acute gender dysphoria and referred to a gender specialist. It was terrible timing as exams were littered through the term.

He’d been to the specialist, examined as thoroughly as Kayla had been, and then given an appointment with the psychologist. No one at school had any idea, but few actually cared. However, it had already been noted that he was more relaxed and was less of a general pain-in-the-arse than usual.

Ricky wanted to venture out as a girl. His parents, having been advised by the doctors to allow it within reason, agreed on the condition that Kayla helped him. Kayla agreed on the condition that Sally was brought into the loop.

So, the two girls fought the wayward Ricky every inch of the way. Kayla’s redundant breast forms were now stuck to his chest, and a long auburn wig covered up his virtually shorn head.

Ricky actually made a pretty girl. He was a slight boy in any case, so with the wig, shape and makeup, he almost looked the part. His hair, when allowed to grow longer than a few millimetres was a rusty auburn, so his colouring matched. However, he was full of masculine habits, which detracted from the passable visible impression he gave.

He tended to swagger, out of habit, as well as take long strides, roll his shoulders, and sit with his legs wide open. The girls decided to take him shopping, in an attempt to make him break some of these bad habits.

As he had no feminine clothes at all, the girls felt he would be best dressed in a pair of jeans and trainers, with a borrowed feminine top. He allowed Kayla to help him tuck away his genitals with a large length of sticking plaster. Then, with a pair of panties and tights under his jeans, he struggled into a bra belonging to Kayla, pulling a short-sleeved green top over his head. The top was quite long and baggy, disguising his rather to generous waist and masculine behind.

They made him up subtly, using greens and browns to highlight his green eyes and in keeping with his colouring. His nails were too short to do much with, so they only shaped them, then applying clear varnish.

Kayla experienced an acute case of déjá  vu as they completed the transformation. Sally was as surprised as she was at the result. Ricky was quite pretty, but his voice and mannerisms let him down, big time.

“Shit! Is that really me?” he asked, on seeing himself in the mirror.

“Surprising, isn’t it?” Sally asked.

“I’ve never looked this good and I’ve been trying at least twice a month for the last four or five years.”

Looking very feminine and feeling brilliant, Ricky allowed his friends to take him to Oxford in Sally’s Mini. He still had a male figure, so the clothes were designed to hide what he did not have and accentuate those he did.

The girls took him to buy underwear and a few basic essentials. Mainly they wanted him to become used to being in public and to get used to being a girl. His mannerisms calmed down with constant help from the girls, and his voice was reduced to a shy, husky whisper.

They took him to the same shoe shop that Kayla had gone to. The same salesman, Dave, was still there and was still struggling with raging acne. He saw the tall Scandinavian girl walk in and he remembered her. Another sales girl was about to approach them, so he raced across the shop floor to get there first.

“Hi, welcome back, how can I help you today?” he said to Kayla.

Sally had to turn away; otherwise, she would have got the giggles.

“It is not me, but my friend needs some shoes. She likes those open-toed sandals and those court shoes with the three inch heels,” Kayla said, laying the accent on thick.

Ricky couldn’t look at the man, as he was feeling very self-conscious.

“Okay, Miss, please sit down and I’ll take your measurements.”

Ricky sat, looking worried. Kayla sat next to him, as Dave measured the poor boy’s feet.

“Seven. You’ve quite a wide fitting!” he remarked.

“I know,” Ricky breathed.

Dave smiled. She wasn’t as pretty as the blonde girl, but she was still attractive and shy. Dave knew he wouldn’t stand a chance with the Swedish girl, but he fancied he might with this one. He held her feet for longer than was necessary.

“I’m Dave, what’s your name?”

“Ri.. Rebecca.”

“Okay, Rebecca, would you like the light tan or the darker ones?”

“I’m not bothered, the lighter ones, I think.”

“I’ll be right back.”

Dave sold Ricky three pairs of shoes, but failed to arrange a date. He felt disappointed, as he felt she really liked him. He watched the three girls as they left, hoping they’d be back soon.

“He was a dirty bastard!” Ricky exploded. “He pawed my legs and stroked my fucking feet. I thought I would die when he asked me out!”

“Such are the drawbacks of being an attractive girl,” Sally said, as she convulsed with giggles.

“If I’m going to be a girl, I think I’m going to be a lesbian!” Ricky announced.

“Why?” Kayla asked.

“Because I don’t want a guy fumbling around with me.”

“Don’t make any snap judgements; you may change your mind as you actually get closer to your goal. Personally, I adore Pete fumbling with me!”

“Yeah, but you’re a real girl!”

“Ricky, so will you be, if that’s what you want!”

“I want, but I’m not sure if I can do this transition bit. I mean, it’s like I’m neither one nor the other.”

“Rebecca, it’s all in the mind. If you believe you are a girl, you will be a girl, regardless of little bits of flesh. The doctors and treatment will make the outside match what’s going in inside your head,” Sally said.

The three of them went into a Burger King and sat eating their order.

Four young men, they’d never seen before, approached them. They were their age, and dressed in hoodies and baseball caps.

“Hey girls, want some company?”

They seemed nice enough, but Kayla knew what she’d felt all those weeks ago, so she answered on behalf of the others.

“No thanks, we’re waiting for our boyfriends.”

The guys looked a little disappointed but shrugged and walked off.

“Thanks, Kayla. This is getting stressful. I never imagined it was like this,” Ricky said.

“This is nothing, but for now it’s enough,” Sally said.

After their snack, they returned to the Park & Ride and Sally drove them home. Ricky was faintly relieved to be himself again, although he seemed to have really enjoyed the experience.

“I dunno, I think it’s all a bit simplistic, it’s as if the clothes only make a slight difference. I know what I am underneath, and that’s what I want to change. I have a dick, which I do not want anymore. The bottom line is, I want my body and mind to be the same!”

Kayla smiled. She had felt the same way a short time previously. They sat with Ricky’s mother, discussing how the day had gone and how well Ricky had adapted. There was a lot to be done, not least of all, to get through school unscathed.

They decided to wait until everyone had left school, and then focus on what was important.

“So, you don’t want to go to the ball in a dress?” Sally asked.

Ricky smiled.

“No, not this time. If I get to university, then I’ll go to the graduation ball in one. No, I’ll just get my thrill knowing that Pete is going with a very special girl!”

Kayla grinned and they left him to get their dresses ready for the next day. Sally had asked Rob Rickman to be her partner, and he’d delighted her by accepting. Kayla and Pete were almost considered to be a staid married couple, as everyone knew they were serious about each other.

The big day arrived and the entire school was caught up in preparations for the event. The school gymnasium was decorated by the sixth form, as they were no longer in any lessons having completed their exams.

The theme of this year was the land of ice. Everything was in white or blue, representing the ice, snow and sea. Polar Bears and penguins abounded and many pupils brought in skis and other winter sports equipment.

Kayla’s dress was white gauze, with a blue underskirt that matched her eyes. It was sleeveless and backless having stylised and fashionable jagged edges. She had white shoes with very high heels that were blue to match the dress. Her grandmother had loaned her a matching necklace, earrings and bracelet with blue stones. They looked like sapphires.

“Just don’t lose them, there’s a love!”

She looked absolutely stunning, with her honey tanned limbs and shimmering blonde hair.

She met up with Pete and the others, as prearranged in the car park.

“Shit, Kayla, you look wonderful!” her boyfriend said.

“Yeah, Kayla, you look brilliant!” said a subdued and calm Ricky.

Kayla felt she was walking on air. She was on the arm of the best guy in the school, and she had more friends than ever before. Ricky, being relaxed and feeling uncertainly optimistic about his future, was, for the first time, good company. Sally laughed at his jokes, and he too enjoyed himself.

Sally was so pleased that Rob had managed to come. She looked at Kayla as the blonde bombshell danced with Pete. Her eyes sparkled and her smile said it all. Sally smiled, feeling a little sad, for she still had a very soft spot for a boy called Kyle. But Kyle was gone, and as Kayla returned from the dance floor, breathless and laughing, she hugged Sally.

“I can never thank you enough for what you’ve done for me. You are the most wonderful friend in the world!” she told her.

Sally smiled.

The King and Queen of the Ball were a foregone conclusion, but Kayla seemed shocked and delighted when she and Peter were pronounced the winners.

As they stood together on the stage, she took his arm and felt that this was one of the most wonderful moments of her life.

Pete looked at her. She was so beautiful; he tried to come to terms with everything that he now knew.

He failed, shrugging and smiling at this bubbly and wonderful girl.

He gave up, deciding that it wasn’t worth trying anymore. Whatever will be, will be, he thought, as she kissed him.
 
 
Epilogue
 
 
As the last prizewinner returned to her seat, the guest of honour sat down on the rostrum, so an air of expectancy settled on the assembled parents and pupils. There were now only a few speeches to listen to, and then, for some at least, a new life beaconed.

The final school term was over. For one particular individual, it couldn’t have come soon enough. Deception is a difficult thing to maintain for a short time, yet this deception had been running for some weeks. It was becoming increasingly complicated and hard to keep abreast of developments.

The girl sat patiently with the others through all the speeches. She looked relaxed and demure, in her smart dark skirt, pale blue blouse and dark jacket, with her delicately manicured hands clasped in her lap. Her high cheekbones and fine features were a giveaway of her Nordic origins, and yet she seemed to understand every word that the speakers uttered. Out of sight, though, inside her mind, she was anything but relaxed.

Long white-blonde hair framed her sweet face, which bore just a hint of makeup. Small diamond studs gleamed from each delicate earlobe, and her strikingly blue eyes appeared focussed on a spot above the current speaker’s head. With a faint smile etched on her full red lips, her striking beauty singled her out as being very special compared with many of the girls with whom she sat.

Several of the assembled boys kept looking at her, each hoping to catch her eye and perhaps be rewarded by one of her smiles. She occasionally glanced at a couple of them and exchanged small smiles with them. Next to her sat Sally, her best friend, and up until recently, the only other pupil who was in on the deception. Together with the Headmaster, they had struggled to keep the secret in the face of incredible odds.

The final speech ended, so polite applause rippled through the assembled pupils and parents.

“Finally, we have been fortunate to have had an exchange student from Sweden join us for the latter part of this term. We’d like to say a fond farewell to Kayla Olsen, and wish her well for the future. As you all know, young Kyle Manning exchanged with his cousin, Kayla, and I’m sure we had the better deal. She has certainly made an impression on our school in general, and most of the sixth form boys in particular. So, Kayla, we all wish you the very best for the future.”

The Headmaster looked directly at her, over the top of his glasses. His grey eyes twinkled with a certain knowing humour, and she could have sworn he winked at her. She smiled; aware she reddened delightfully with embarrassment.

Everyone started to leave and Kayla found herself the centre of attention. Her friend Sally whispered something to her and she smiled. Numerous boys attempted to obtain her contact details in Sweden and she politely put them firmly down. One tall boy held back, waiting for an opportunity to speak to her alone.

Pete at last saw his opportunity and approached as she made her way out of the marquee. He stood in front of her; she stopped and looked up at him. Her smile wavered and then left her. Her eyes spoke the sadness they were both feeling. They said little. They simply exchanged best wishes, but their eyes spoke volumes as she stretched up and kissed him on the left cheek, it took enormous effort for him not to reach out and draw her close to him, as he obviously wanted. He whispered something in her ear. She smiled and nodded. Her hand gently squeezed his arm and he grinned knowingly.

Her lilting Swedish accent seemed so in keeping with her whole appearance. Any observer would have instantly seen that the boy had fallen for her completely. With a final smile to him, she turned and walked away, only to be caught by another group who wanted to talk to her for one last time.

She finally managed to escape and was soon resting in the back of a car. She breathed out a final sigh of relief. Her father turned round.

“Well, I suppose we can finally say goodbye to Kyle now,” he said.

The girl smiled.

“Yes, Daddy, and I can also stop speaking with this daft accent.”

Her father chuckled and started the car.

“Well, you chose to do this the hard way,” her mother said, and they all laughed, relieved that the deception was over. There were hard times to come, but they were prepared for those.

They drove out of the gates, and Kayla took a last look at her school. She was looking forward to whatever came next. She smiled, as she knew she was meeting Pete in the pub in a couple of hours.


 
The End

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Excellent!"

I wish I could craft a story that was as engaging and well written as this one. Everything about it, from character development to pacing is first rate. My sincerest congratulations to Tanya and her achievement. As I told her before in a private missive, "Brava!"

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

My Apologies

I did not mean to repeat my comment above three times. It's just that the system kept sending me an error message saying the bloody server couldn't send my comment, so I did what all non-techies like me do at times like this, I kept hitting the "Send" key.

Still, that does not detract from my enthusiasm for Tanya's story. If you like, just mark this up as three cheers for a job well done.

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

Just as charming

As the last time I read it. But really, Kayla, don't be so quick to quit the accent, it's so handy. I used to love putting on my Norwegian accent when I came back to the States. Even when you aren't trying to make an impression on a guy, that accent sends them to their knees every time. So easy to manipulate men!

KJT

"All lies in jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Loved it!

Sometimes less is more, so I'll leave it like that. Thanks for sharing it with us.

PB

Great Story

I really enjoyed this story, it would have been nice to see where Kayla and Pete went in their relationship and also seen Ricky/Rachel develop her character.

Maybe the next story could continue the tale only focusing on Ricky/Rachel more.

Megumi :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Good to see you posting here, Tanya.

This is a typically well-written and constructed story of yours and one of my personal favourites. I think it finishes at just the right point in the narrative and leaving the readers wanting more is always a good ploy IMO.

I'm hoping to see some of your other tales posted.

Remember - over 99% of the world's population has more than the average number of legs.

Geoff

I thought hard wey was cheese?

Sorry I couldn't resist that, First read this story years ago at Maddy's site, I did not catch the changes, and I will not look for them, it is still enjoyable, just great.

As a Wisconsinite I object to jokes that denigrate cheese

unless I say them first.

Oh what a groaner, I'm impressed.

A fine tale, Tanya, nice to see it reposted and tweaked a bit. A tale with an ending Walt Disney would have a hard time not liking.

As to Karen_J and her comments on Swedish/Norwegian accents, hum, a Norwegian accent with a Texas drawl .... Oooh, I'm drooling already.

I'm sorry Karen, but that would be banned by the Geneva Convention. Us guys wouldn't stand a chance.

Imagine if some cute blonde at MC D's said "do you want fries with that" but in a Norwegian/Texas accent. The World supply of potatoes would soon be at risk.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Ignore my silliness, Tanya, a fine story I much enjoyed, very real world feeling

John in Wauwatosa

Ever so lovely!

I think this must be the ultimate dream: You have an understanding family and friends + you are a real girl with a possibility to have babies and all...

I really loved this one! Thank you!

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Great Story

Again you have written a wonderfull, spellbinding story. I love all your work. The characters are better then great and your writting is wonderfull

Thank you again

Unlike wine

Unlike wine, stories don't improve with age. They do however stay just as good and enjoyable. Thank you for allowing me to read this wonderful work of art.

Much Love,

Valerie R

W O W !

Thank you for a few hours of delightful reading pleasure Tanya.

Loved the storyline, the gentle plot twists , the uncertainty of it all yet knowing that there would always be a happy ending, sigh.

Hugs and kisses

Simply magnificent

Just a few words! Fantastic storyline, BRILLIANT AUTHOR! Love you all! Bye.

BEAUTIFUL AND ALL ROUND PLEASURE TO READ

Hi Tanya I love your stories and this story is also in those categories! I have to laugh at your wording of when Kayla was sitting with her friend Ricky near the river under the bridge and you wrote that it would be hard not to step in COW SHIT AND I LAUGHED IT SHOULD BE BULL S-HIT . FITTING to the lies to cover up her condition? Love you all! Bye......Natasha.