Gruesome Tuesday Chapters 11 - 14

Printer-friendly version
   
Gruesome Tuesday
by Tanya Allan

 
Fifteen-year old Sophie wants to go to a Justin Timberlake concert, but her father, Rob, doesn’t want to let her go. Having lost his wife to cancer, he may be over-protective. They have an argument, in which she accuses him of not understanding what it is like to be young.

He remembers his youth well, and telling her that she has it easy compared to him.

A freaky electric shock transports her into her father’s fifteen-year old body in a boys’ boarding school in the 1970s, and he ends up as her in the present.

Things then get very interesting indeed!

 
Tanya's Book Shop where she is selling her works in book form is at http://tanyaallan.authorshaunt.com/shop.php . Please Visit!


Originally written in 2004, revised in 2009.
 
The Legal Stuff: Gruesome Tuesday  ©2004, 2009 Tanya Allan

This work is the property of the author, and the author retains full copyright in relation to printed material, whether on paper or electronically. Any adaptation of the whole or part of the material for broadcast by radio, TV, or for stage plays or film, is the right of the author unless negotiated through legal contract. Any commercial use by anyone other than the author is strictly prohibited.
 
This work is fictitious, and any similarities to any persons, alive or dead, are purely coincidental. Mention is made of persons in public life only for the purposes of realism, and for that reason alone. Certain licence is taken in respect of medical procedures, terms and conditions, and the author does not claim to be the fount of all knowledge.
 
The author accepts the right of the individual to hold his/her (or whatever) own political, religious and social views, and there is no intention to deliberately offend anyone. If you wish to take offence, that is your problem.

 
This is only a story, and it contains adult material, which includes sex and intimate descriptive details pertaining to genitalia. If this is likely to offend, then don’t read it.
 
 
Chapter 11. Rob's Story
 
 
I awoke lying in the bed. I remembered going into the hospital and sitting by the bed, as Sophie. I didn’t remember how I got on the bed, and then I saw my daughter just waking up, I knew instantly that in was back where I belonged.

“Hi Sophie, welcome back. Sally delivered your letter,” I said, and grinned.

“Dad! Oh Daddy!” she shouted and flung her arms around my neck.

The next hour was a confusion of people and movement. I was allowed to go home, and Sally arrived, so I guessed that Sophie called her.

Poor Sally, Sophie and I caught up with everything, and Sally was sort of left out. She kept muttering that we were weird, but it was nice to see her again.

Sophie had grown up. She was a mature girl anyway, but she was now even older and wiser. We had almost the ability to read each other’s minds, and I knew that we were closer than any two people before us in history.

It was great seeing my folks again, and they both broke down into tears. It was all very emotional and wonderful. I had never been away, but it was great to have us both back as we should have been. I was pleased to see that my father had chucked out the old washing machine and bought a new one.

Sophie went up to bed, so I had some time with my father alone.

“That girl of yours, she’s one in a million,” he said.

“I know that Dad.”

“She was there at your bedside most days, without fail.”

“I know Dad.”

“When we came over here, we thought we’d be baby-sitting, but she is more grown up than I could ever have imagined. She’s even got a boyfriend.”

“I know Dad. He’s a nice boy, and I approve.”

“I used to think your rather liberal ways would not bring up the children properly. I was wrong, they’re both cracking kids, and I love them dearly. It just goes to show, that different strokes work for different folks.”

“Quite Dad. I can’t thank you and Mum enough for what you did.”

“Nonsense. What kind of grandparents would we be to have stayed away at a time like this? It was a privilege to stand in for a while. As a result we have got to know our grand children a whole lot better.”

“Still, it was a great comfort to me to know that you were here, and that the kids were well cared for.”

“That’s all right. I have to confess, we were thinking about going home and taking the children with us. Sophie wasn’t keen, but Steven was quite all right. I don’t think he is happy in his school.”

“I’m aware of that. But I can’t afford private education for both.”

“I don’t think they both need it, only Steven.”

“Dad, if I can’t afford both, then neither will get it, I need to be fair.”

“Sophie’s doing well where she is, sometimes it is not a case of being fair, but sensitive to needs,” he said, and I smiled.

“I know, whoever said life was fair, eh?”

“Exactly.”

“I have been known to say that myself,” I admitted.

“Well, I have a little put by, and if you want I will help towards the boy’s schooling. I didn’t want to interfere, but he clearly is not happy at his school.”

“Thanks, but let’s see what happens this year. If he struggles, then I will look at the situation. But I certainly don’t want to make any rushed and hasty decisions. But I agree, Sophie is doing very well and I’m pleased with her progress.”

“Rob, ah, well, I don’t want to offend, but, I was wondering, isn’t it about time, you, ah….” I interrupted my father in mid stutter.

“Dad, I will start trying to find someone soon. No one should be alone, and when Sophie is a couple of years older, I know she will be away, and Steven won’t be that far behind.”

“Good, your mother and I were getting worried about you.”

“I appreciate it, Dad, but I just wasn’t ready before, now I am.”

“Well, we will be heading home tomorrow. If that is all right with you?”

“Fine Dad, as I said, I am so grateful for everything you have done.”

We then did something quite rare for my father and I, for we hugged.

“Happy Christmas, Dad.”

“And to you, Rob, my boy, and to you.”

I went upstairs and found Sophie on her bed. She was in tears at being back home where she belonged, so we had some time together. She reminded me about Anna, and we went over some of what had gone on. I told her, quite truthfully, that I had been more than prepared to continue being Sophie, and that I actually enjoyed being her.

In the end, we had a hug and were glad that everything was as it should be.
 

*          *          *

 
I was up first, and went and checked my Emails. I had managed to keep an eye on them, as Sophie, but I was way behind on my deadlines for stories. Fortunately, all my editors were aware of my predicament, so I was given some assurances that everything was fine, but I knew I had a lot of work to do.

I remembered the school that Mr Martin went to, and I knew that Anna was enrolled there as a pupil. I found the website, and found the entry for Anna. I was sitting staring at it when Sophie came in and wished me a Happy Christmas.

The little minx dialled directory enquiries and only called Anna on Christmas morning, and gave me then phone as it was ringing.

I had an amazing time talking with her, and through our conversation discovered that I had been in the national papers. I had been so wrapped up with school and boys that I hadn’t been aware of the press coverage.

Not only was she aware of my accident, but she was aware that Karen had died. We had a brief chat and when I invited her to get together; she almost bit my hand off.

Before I knew it, she had agreed to come south for New Year, and would fly in on the twenty-seventh with her daughter.

I felt like a schoolboy on his first date, as I was quite excited. I only hoped that Anna hadn’t put on fifteen stone, or was an alcoholic who smoked fifty a day. I couldn’t imagine her falling that low, but stranger things had happened.

I got my own back on Sophie by calling Matthew and giving her the phone. He had been crafty and left a present on the tree for her, and she found out that I had given him a neck chain with a gold pendant with Sophie & Matthew engraved intertwined thereon.

He had bought her a sapphire ring. It wasn’t a cheap one, and I was afraid that he had fallen very hard, and poor Sophie had to contend with a lovesick young man. As he was her first proper boyfriend, I was worried that she would not get the broader experience of life that she should. But then, she was a sensible girl, and I had to let her lead her own life.

Steven came down for breakfast. He had opened the stocking my parents had given him. They’d bought him an X-box. I smiled, as I had planned to buy that for him, so I would have to go with him and we could get something in the sales.

We all went to the local church, and I found myself actually believing in God for the first time. I said a prayer of thanks for having my family returned to me.

Lunch was superb. Mother had done us proud, and Sally, Keith and the boys came over, and a great time was had by all. We sat around with distended tummies, then Sophie and I took the dog for a walk.

This particular chore had fallen to Grandpa during my time in hospital, as ‘Sophie’ was too busy with school and homework. My father actually enjoyed the exercise, and the brief interlude from his wife.

Sophie and I discussed the feelings we had experienced during our exchange. She also reminded me of what went on back in the 1970s. Much of it was in my memory, but needed a jolt to bring it to the fore. She told me of her time as Sophie in the play, and how she had enjoyed being a girl, albeit briefly. I had done a little checking, and discovered that Sean had married a girl called Angela, and they had six children. He was a now a Lieutenant Colonel, and they were still married.

“Dad, wouldn’t it be great to get all your chums together for New Year?”

I nodded.

“It might be tricky.”

“Can’t hurt to try, can it?”

“No, sweetie, it can’t. But don’t you spoil things by letting on how well you know them,” I said, chuckling.

“I won’t, but they were my friends too, for a while,” she said with a smile.

“I know, sweetie, and I’ll never forget that.”

She held my hand as we walked slowly home. Buster managed to get himself wet in one of the ditches, so he needed a hose down and a good towelling before he could be let loose in the house again.

I went on line, managed to track down Sean and called him on the telephone. He was just back from the Gulf, and was enjoying being with his family after several months apart. We hadn’t spoken in years, and it was really good to hear his voice again. I invited him and his brood to our party of New Year’s Eve. They were living near Camberley, and to my surprise and pleasure, accepted.

“Sophie is dying to meet you,” I said, and he went very quiet.

I smiled and then added,

“My daughter, Sophie, has heard all about you and is dying to meet you.”

He laughed, uncertainly at first, and then with unrestrained pleasure.

“I thought for a moment you’d contemplated cross-dressing,” he said, still chuckling.

“No, the once was enough for me,” I said.

“Strange though, our eldest daughter is called Sophie as well, she’s fourteen. And I was only thinking of you this last week. I went to watch her in a play, and Sophie was playing Portia in their production of a Merchant of Venice.”

“Sophie seems to be a very popular name,” I said.

“I had to have something of hers to remember her by.”

“You are a silly sod, Sean.”

“She meant the world to me for a very short time, so I can never forget her,” Sean said.

“Do you remember Anna Martin?”

“Wasn’t she old Twizzle’s daughter, and didn’t you and her have a thing going for a while?”

“That’s her. She was widowed a few years back, but she is coming to our party. She called her daughter Sophie too.”

“Not because of you know who?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“Bugger me.”

“No thanks Sean. If you don’t mind.”

He laughed. “Rob, it’s such a pity we sort of lost touch, so it will be good to see you again.”

“Yeah, come early, then we can have a bit of time to ourselves. Sophie has her boyfriend here, and I have delegated most of the work to them. Anyway, how’s Angela?”

“She is fine. We’ve six kids now, and Sophie is the eldest. How old is your Sophie?”

“She will be sixteen in February. But she is actually going on twenty-three. She sort of took over bossing me about when Karen died.”

“I heard about Karen. I’m sorry, but I was in the Balkans at the time. Mike wrote to me.”

“Good old Mike. Have you heard from him recently?”

“He was over, having Christmas with the folks, I understand.”

“Any idea of their number?”

“I have it somewhere, why?”

“It would be good to see him too.”

“I’ll have a look and ring you back.”

“Thanks, bye for now.”

“Cheers.”

I put the phone down and started planning our party.
 

*          *          *

 
By the time I got up on the morning of the 27th, we had over fifty people coming. Sophie had asked about six of her friends from school, and each had a boyfriend. Steven had four mates coming over, and they had taken over the attic, which would comfortably house them in sleeping bags.

Sophie’s friends were all local, yet I knew that young Matthew was staying, and he had the Zed-bed in my study. The main spare room was for Anna and her daughter, and the second spare room was for anyone else if they wished to stay over. Mike and his family, and Sean and his troop, were all intending to drive home, but I had enough room with Steven’s room, and my room. I was happy to sleep on the sofa, and Sophie had a spare bed in her room, or an inflatable mattress, anyway.

Sophie and I planned the cooking, as a lot had to be done before the 31st. I went and bought out Tescos of sausage rolls and all kinds of other nibbles. She was brilliant, and planned to make a huge Chilli-con-carne, and prepared lots of baked potatoes, having in mind an assortment of fillings. She made a coronation turkey mix, and all kinds of other stuff, and I was very impressed.

Sally came and helped her, so I slipped off to the off licence to collect a vast amount of alcoholic refreshments. I then dashed off to the airport to meet Anna’s plane.

I was very nervous as I parked in Terminal One car park at Heathrow Airport. I went through into UK arrivals, and looked at the monitor. Her flight from Edinburgh had already landed, and baggage was in the hall, so she should be through very soon.

I stood and went through all the possible visions I could have for her, from the very fat to the very glamorous. I gave up, as it made me either depressed or excited.

The automatic doors opened and two girls walked through, the younger one was pushing a trolley. I immediately recognised Anna, and she had hardly changed. Oh, yes, she was thirty-nine, but she was the same height and still had that trim figure. Her hair was still auburn and lay across her shoulders, and her smile was still stunning. She was wearing a grey coat, black trousers with black boots, and I could see a grey roll neck pullover under her coat. The younger girl was a younger replica of her, so there was no doubt whose daughter she was.

As I looked at Anna, her eyes met mine. I felt my heart miss a beat and knew that the love we once felt for each other, as young as we had been, still lay in both our hearts. She stopped and smiled. Her daughter stopped and looked at her, and followed her line of sight. She saw me and said something to her mother, who smiled and nodded.

I walked over to them, and Anna looked up at me, with her eyes shining and a smile playing across her lips.

“Hello Rob.”

“Anna. You look lovely,” I said, feeling rather uncomfortable, as I wanted to take her in my arms, and didn’t know if I should. But events overtook me, as she placed her arms around my neck and we kissed. It was as if it had always meant to be. I found myself holding her around the waist, and she fitted beautifully in my arms. I held her close, savouring the smell of freshness from her hair and her very alluring scent, which, no doubt, she had deliberately selected.

She broke off, and I noticed her daughter was grinning.

“Oh, Rob. How I’ve yearned for that,” she said.

Her daughter coughed. Anna smiled, and turned and took her hand.

“Sophie, darling. This is that very special man, Rob Mills. He was my first love, and he inspired me to call you Sophie. Rob, this is my Sophie.”

“Hello Sophie. It is really nice to meet you at last,” I said, kissing her cheek.

I took over the trolley from her and she smiled.

“Mum has gone on and on about you since you called. Did you really play a girl’s part in a play?”

“Yes, but don’t tell anyone.”

“She said you were so good that everyone thought you were a real girl.”

“That was very sweet of her, but I hardly think so.”

“You did, Rob. You were very convincing. But, I wouldn’t try now, you’ve grown too much into a man,” Anna said. This was true, as I was a good six feet two inches and very broad.

“You haven’t changed, you are still one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen, apart from your Sophie, and mine, of course.”

She laughed, and it sounded like magical crystal bells playing in the distance.

“Mother hasn’t laughed much recently,” Sophie explained, almost apologetically.

“I can understand that. Neither have I,” I said, and Anna and I looked at each other.

“You look wonderful, Anna.” I said.

“So do you Rob. I tried to imagine what you would look like, and I never realised you had grown so much. You look better than I could have hoped.”

“Oh Mother. Pl-ease!” said Sophie in disgust.

I smiled and pushed the trolley to the exit, paid the car park charges, and made for the car. A few minutes later we were heading north on the M25.

“So, what are your plans?” I asked her.

“Up in the air, really. Sophie starts at secondary school in September, I have given my notice in, I just can’t face staying where John and I were. I struggled through, and they have been so kind, but I need to make a life for myself somewhere new. I am open to any teaching job, and hopefully we can find a good school for Sophie, wherever we end up.”

“How about you, don’t you want to stay in Scotland?” I asked Sophie.

“Not really, I was at a school near Perth, and all my friends are going to different schools. I don’t really care.”

“John left enough for Sophie to have a good private education, or if we can get into a good grammar, then that would do, so she could keep the cash for university.”

“Good move. My Sophie is at an excellent Grammar, and if Tony Blair manages to get away with this top up fees debacle, then the kids need every penny they can get,” I said.

We talked schools for a while, and it dawned on me that I was selling the area I lived in, in the hope she would come and live close to me. I smiled, as I recognised that I was being juvenile.

We arrived at the house just before noon, and I noticed a familiar green Vauxhall Corsa in the drive.

“Matthew has arrived,” I said.

“Matthew?”

“He’s my Sophie’s boyfriend. He’s eighteen and a really nice boy. He took her to the Justin Timberlake concert in Birmingham earlier in the month.”

I parked the car on the drive, and Sophie and Matthew appeared.

“Oh, dear God!” said Anna, paling visibly.

“What?” I asked, worried.

“She is so like your Sophie, it’s uncanny.”

“Anna, she is my Sophie.”

“No, I mean your portrayal of Sophie in the play. She is just as I remembered her.”

I grinned, we got out of the car and I made all the introductions.

My Sophie was the same height, if not a little taller than Anna and she embraced her without embarrassment.

“Hello Anna, I’ve heard so much about you, and I have been dying to meet the only other woman in Dad’s life.”

Anna laughed and looked at me. I shrugged and smiled.

The two Sophies went off together, while Matthew shook my hand. It felt distinctly uncomfortable, but I resisted the urge to embrace the poor lad. It would frighten him silly!

“I’m pleased to see you upright, sir. I came to the hospital many times.”

“I know Matt, and I appreciate everything you’ve done for Sophie. And, please call me Rob, if you are as close to Sophie as I think you are, we may as well be friends too.”

He grinned, taking the luggage in from the car.

Anna held out her hand and stopped me, so we were alone for the first time. I turned and faced her.

“Rob, I feel like a sixteen year old again.”

“You look like a sixteen year old. You’re just as I remembered you.”

“I never stopped loving you. You know that, don’t you?”

I nodded.

“I hated my father for moving away.”

“I did too, but it wore off.”

“I wanted to marry you,” she said, and laughed nervously.

I looked at her and read her expression. She, like me, had had enough of being alone, and of well meaning friends trying to find suitable potential partners. There was a longing there and desire, a desire that I could feel and mirror.

“Then marry me now,” I heard my voice say.

She looked sharply at me.

“I was serious,” she said with a smile.

“So am I Anna.”

She gasped, so I took her in my arms.

“As soon as I saw you, all the old feelings came back, and I knew that whatever we had was special, and it’s still there. I am offering you the companionship and love that we both need. I know that I love you, plain and simple, although we’ve both matured a little with age, like good Stilton,” I said, kissing her.

We stood there for a long time. She broke it off, looking up at me. It started to rain.

“But……..”

“But, what?”

She smiled. “Yes,” she said, plain and simple.

I smiled and nodded. We kissed again.

“Love at second sight,” I said, and she laughed.

The two girls came out and saw us. My Sophie smiled and knew exactly what had happened.

“Congratulations,” she said to Anna, kissing her on the cheek. The other Sophie was frowning and looking rather confused.

“I told Matt to put Sophie in with me, and I think your cases are in Dad’s room.” she said, taking both of us by the arms and leading us inside out of the rain.
 
 
Chapter 12. Sophie's Story
 
 
Matt’s car drove onto the drive and I was out of the door like a rocket. I was rather nervous, but he smiled at me in such a way that my legs turned to jelly. He opened his arms and I fell into them, after a slight hesitation. Whatever memories Dad had created for me were so vivid, they were as real as if I’d made them. We kissed for ages, until Steven started making rude noises out of his bedroom window at us.

Dad had gone to pick up his girlfriend, so I put Matt to work getting a bar set up and getting the decorations just right. Sally went home, having been tasked with making several puddings for the party. I wasn’t too hot on puddings yet.

I was in the kitchen when Dad’s car pulled onto the drive, and I went out to meet them with Matt.

Anna looked remarkably unchanged by the years, a little older, but a strikingly attractive woman. She glanced my way and I saw her pale, as I knew that I resembled the Sophie from the play. I had long blonde hair and my make up was almost the same.

Daddy formally introduced us, but I knew she found my appearance disconcerting. There was electricity between Dad and her, and I knew instantly that these two were destined to be together.

I took her Sophie inside, while Matt collected their luggage. I watched as Dad and Anna embraced on the drive, pleased to see that the chemistry was still as strong as ever. If ever two people were made for each other, it was these two.

I think I knew then that they would get married, so I told Matt where to put the cases in Dad’s room and mine.

“You told me they haven’t seen each other for years.”

“They still love each other. You watch, I’ll bet you that Dad proposes and she accepts.”

“When?”

“Right now.”

“What?” said the other Sophie.

“My Dad and your Mum have always loved each other, and I think they will get married.”

“She has been on and on about him,” she admitted.

“What did she say?”

“She said he was the most wonderful kind and gentle boy she ever knew.”

“There you are then. Oh, look, it’s raining and they are oblivious. She is looking dazed, so he has proposed already. Now they are kissing again, and she has nodded. Well Sophie, it looks like we are to be step-sisters.”

“How can you tell?” she said, looking out of the window.

“I know my father rather better than most people should. I’m going to rescue them, they’re getting soaked,” I said and went to get them.

They both had glazed expressions and were oblivious to the rain. I simply kissed Anna’s cheek and congratulated her. She looked at me in amazement and allowed me to drag the pair of them out of the rain.

A little later, we all sat down to lunch. I had made a lasagne, baked potatoes, with some salad. Dad poured some wine and was disgustingly cheerful.

Anna just sat and looked dewy-eyed at Dad, and was almost in tears. But these were tears of joy after years of misery and despair. The mood was good, even if Matt was a little in awe of Dad.

I cleared away the plates and went into the kitchen. Anna followed me in.

“How did you know?” she asked.

I smiled. “I know my Dad. He’s been alone for four years, and I saw how much he loves you. He’s not prepared to lose you again. Not twice. Besides, it’s what I would have done,” I said, and put the dishes into the dishwasher.

“This is uncanny,” she said.

I stood up and looked at her.

“What is?”

“We’ve never met, and yet I could swear that I know you.”

I smiled. “Anna, my Dad loves you so much, I feel that I know you too. My Dad and I are very close, we’ve had to be, after Mum dying. We have no secrets, we can’t afford them, as I’ve had to grow up rather faster than I should have. The boy you met all those years ago was almost exactly my age. It stands to reason that he and I share some family similarities.”

“You know that I never stopped loving him?”

“I know.”

“And that we just lost contact and made lives for ourselves?”

I nodded.

“I loved Edward, as I’m sure he loved your mother. But I don’t think we ever forgot each other, nor did we stop loving each other.”

“You don’t have to explain. I know,” I said.

“You are so like the Sophie I saw all those years ago, it’s really uncanny.”

I smiled.

“There’s a tray of mince pies in the oven, could you take them in for me?” I asked, closing the subject.

At the end of the meal, Dad banged his glass with a knife, and a hush settled.

“I’d just like to say a big thank you to my daughter for doing such good grub, and for her personal slave, Matt, for being so useful. It has been a while since this house has heard so much laughter, and it does me good to hear it again. I’d like to make an announcement, which may surprise some of you.

“About an hour and a half ago I proposed to Anna, who, despite having not seen me for twenty-five years, and much to my delight and surprise, has agreed to be my wife. So, I’d like to propose a toast to the future Mrs Mills.”

I grinned at Matt, as we raised our glasses, and the other Sophie’s jaw hit the table. Anna looked so serene and gazed at Dad in undisguised adoration. It was like a fairy story. I just beamed at Dad, and he raised his glass in my direction.

Matt and I took Buster for a walk after lunch, and Sophie came too. She was rather unsettled, as her mother’s accepting Dad’s proposal surprised the hell out of her.

She was a nice girl, who, although only three years younger than me, was considerably less mature. Matt held my hand, and my memories of ‘our’ times together were so fresh, as made no difference. He kept squeezing my hand, and I would return the squeeze, which kept the poor soul content.

Buster adored Sophie, who threw sticks for him.

“Your Dad is a fast worker,” Matt said.

“Not really. I think he realised that as soon as he saw Anna, he knew he still loved her, and she returned the love in equal measure. I think it’s logical and a super end to several years of unhappiness for two people.”

“You are so weird,” he said.

“Why?”

“You’re the only sixteen year-old who acts thirty.”

“I’m not sixteen until February,” I reminded him, and he grinned.

“I know,” he said, and I elbowed him in the tummy.

“Don’t you even think about it. It may be legal, but I’m not doing it just because I can,” I said.

He had the grace to blush and look a little guilty, and I relented a little.

“I’ll do it when I want to with the man who becomes my husband.”

“Marry me, Sophie.”

“Bugger off, not yet,” I said, laughing.

“Does that mean later?”

“It means I will not accept any proposal yet, so don’t bother asking again, for a long time.”

He tried to tickle me, and we ended up kissing. Sophie was rather shocked, so we stopped and continued our walk. It was so strange, for it was as if I had been here all the time. I could remember every conversation ‘we’ had had, and I felt all the emotions that ‘I’ had experienced, and it was exactly as if it had been me all along.

“Sophie?”

“Yes Sophie?” I said.

“What’s your school like?”

“It’s okay. Better than most, I suppose. Why, will you be going there too?”

“I don’t know. I have to change if we move down here, and I don’t really want to go to a boarding school.”

“You’d like my school, it’s pretty good.”

“It will be strange having an older sister. I’ve been alone for so long.”

“You’ll have a younger brother as well, and Steven can be an annoying little sod at times.”

“It is going to be confusing with us both called Sophie.”

“Did you have a nickname at school?” I asked.

She coloured a little, “Yes, but I didn’t like it.”

“I don’t, so we will have to think of something else.”

“How about if we call you ‘Emmie’, for Sophie Mills, and you ‘Ellie’, for Sophie Lumley?” suggested Matt.

“Hmmm.” I said, not entirely convinced.

“Well, combine the two, ‘Sophie Emme’ and ‘Sophie Elle’, that would do it,” said Matt, whom I could tell was not certain what the fuss was about.

We arrived back to find that one of Steven’s friends had arrived, and they were busy turning the attic into a boys’ dormitory. I went to the kitchen and was busy writing a list for the planned shopping trip. Dad recruited Matt to help with various chores, and Anna came into the kitchen.

“Sophie seems to have taken a shine to you,” she said.

“Really?”

“She is normally rather wary of older girls, I think she is rather self conscious, and because of Edward’s death, she lacks some confidence.”

“I understand. Mum’s death hit me very hard. But I think Dad was hit worse. I was only eleven. He needed someone to look after him, so I just got the job.”

She sat on the stool, and looked at me. “You look so much older than sixteen,” she said.

“I’m not sixteen until February,” I replied.

“Even more so then. I still can’t get over how much like your father you are.”

“Thanks a bunch,” I said, trying to put on a deep voice, and she laughed.

“Not him now, but when he was in a play at school. His portrayal of a girl was so utterly convincing that I was amazed. Then I saw you today, it almost made my heart stop. As you were that girl. Yet there was never anything effeminate about him, he was able to act so brilliantly. I should know, as I’d never fall for anyone effeminate.”

I smiled.

“It’s funny,” she continued, “as soon as I saw your father, it was as if I was back when we last met, and he looked at me in the same way. Never has anyone made me feel like this. Not even Edward, and I loved him dearly.”

I smiled, as there was not much I could say.

Matt popped his head round the door.

“Your Dad wants to know whether you want to go shopping today or tomorrow,” he asked.

“Now would be better than Saturday,” I said.

“Okay, do you want me to take you?”

“If you want to,” I said, and he just grinned.

“Is there room for Sophie?”

“Of course,” he said.
 

*          *          *

 
Anna had Dad to herself for a while, while the three of us set of for Tescos. Matt pushed the trolley and we mingled with the millions of other people who all were doing the same as us. I met up with Caroline in the frozen food section, and she had lost her mother somewhere in the store.

“How many are coming to your party?” she asked.

“I’m not sure, I think about fifty.”

“Fifty-three, at last count,” said Matt.

“How many our age?”

“Not counting Steve and his friends, about fourteen.”

“Cool. It was great to hear about your Dad. You must be thrilled, is he okay?”

“He’s fine. Oh, this is Sophie, her Mum is an old girl friend of Dad’s, and they got engaged this morning,” I said, introducing Sophie to my friend.

“Hi Sophie, hey another Sophie.” she said, and realised what else I had said. “Wow. Really? That was sudden.”

“It was when you consider they haven’t seen one another for twenty-five years, and he proposed to her within the first hour.”

“And she accepted? Shit, that’s amazing.”

Matt started making those noises than males make after prolonged exposure to supermarkets, so we moved off, with Caroline seeking her mother.

“She’s nice,” said Sophie.

“Yeah, unfortunately most of my friends are in the lower sixth, so my last year is going to be miserable.”

“You look older than she was.”

“Such is the stress of looking after Dad,” I said, and she laughed.

We finished our shop, having filled two trolleys by the end. Dad had given me sufficient cash to pay, so we loaded it into the back of Matt’s Corsa.

We drove home and Sophie seemed a lot more cheerful. I tried to imagine how stressful it would be to be uprooted and transported five-hundred miles just for a party with complete strangers, and end up watching your mother getting engaged to a man you’ve never met within seconds of arriving.

Anna and Dad were in his study, and I heard her laughter fill the house as soon as we walked in.

“She hasn’t laughed like that for ages,” Sophie said.

I enlisted her help to make supper, while Matt went back to setting up the bar. I decided to make a curry with all the leftovers from Christmas, and we worked well together. She reminded me of her mother, and I smiled at the strange memories I had.

“It’s really horrid losing a parent, isn’t it?” I said.

“Yes, I said goodbye to Daddy after breakfast and never saw him again.”

“My mother was ill with cancer for several months, and I watched her literally disappear and crumple day by day. It was foul. In a way I’d rather she had died instantly. She tried various treatments, which seemed to work for a while, and then she would be as bad as before, if not worse. But I suppose your Dad was such a sudden shock.”

“At least I knew that Daddy didn’t suffer. I just miss him so much,” she said, and I could see tears weren’t far away.

“I’m sorry, I just haven’t really been able to talk about it with anyone who knows how it feels,” I said.

“All the girls in school told me they felt sorry, but they hadn’t a clue.”

“I know, as it’s almost like having part of your body removed. And Dad was so cut up, we would just cry together. Steven was only six, so he didn’t really understand, and I suppose I was a sort of mother figure for him. It made me grow up very quickly. I was just glad that Dad was able to work from home.”

“What does he do?”

“He was a journalist with a local newspaper, and now he is freelance, writing articles for magazines and he writes novels.”

“Mummy is a teacher, but she isn’t happy where she is at the moment. She wants to change jobs at the same time as I change schools, as she hates living with the memories at home. I think it would be different if it was our own home, but ours is owned by the school, so it doesn’t feel like home for either of us.”

“Wouldn’t you get preferential fees if you went there?”

“Probably, but I don’t think I’d like it. It’s my home as well, it would be too much.”

We had done everything, so I put the water on for the rice. I took the na’an bread out of the freezer and found the poppadums. Matt came in and wrapped his arms around me from behind, kissing the nape of my neck. It sent shivers of pleasure up my spine. I turned round and we kissed properly for a few moments.

“Mmm, that smells good. How long?” he asked.

“About twelve minutes, so go and tell everyone to get ready, I should think Dad will want some wine opened, so ask him which one. If you want a beer, I put some in the fridge.”

He kissed me again. “You’re so wonderful, please marry me.”

“Fuck off,” I said laughing, and he pretended to be hurt as he slunk away.

“He’s nice,” Sophie said.

“He’s gorgeous, but never tell him I said so,” I said, and she laughed. I cooked the poppadums and warmed the bread in the oven.

“Doesn’t your Dad mind your boyfriend being here?”

“Dad is brilliant, and he trusts Matt implicitly, as do I. But I’m the one he should watch, because it wouldn’t take much for me to let Matt have his wicked way.”

“You wouldn’t?” she said, shocked.

I smiled. “No, actually I wouldn’t. At least not yet,” I said, rather wistfully.

Dad and Anna came in, and they both looked so happy, I couldn’t help but grin at them. They smiled back and Dad winked at me.

The boys descended from the attic with a good deal of noise and eventually settled at the table.

Sophie and I dished up the curry and a couple of bottles of wine were opened. The atmosphere was light and cheerful, and Matt played footsie with me for most of the meal. Anna sat about as close to Dad as she physically could, while Matt poured Sophie a glass of wine without her mother noticing.

It was one of those meals that just went on and on. I had prepared some fresh fruit, melon, peaches and pears, and just dumped it into a bowl and let everyone help themselves. Another bottle of wine was opened, and most of us, except the two young boys, got a little pickled. The boys returned to the land of the Xbox in the attic, and eventually I went and loaded up the dishwasher.

Dad offered Anna the spare room, which she declined, as she had found her man and wasn’t going to let him go. Sophie was happy to share with me, and Matt put up the Zed-bed in Dad’s study. I got ready for bed and went to the bathroom. Dad had a bathroom en-suite to his bedroom, and the main spare room had another bathroom, so I had one that I had to share with anyone else who was staying, and with Steven of course.

By the time I got back, Sophie was already tucked up in her bed.

She was giggling, as she had not drunk wine before.

“Goodnight Sophie Elle,” I said.

“Goodnight. Sophie Emme.”

I turned the light out on a good day.
 
 
Chapter 13. Rob's Story
 
 
I awoke in semi-darkness, and had a momentary panic as I forgot who or where I was. The familiar features of the master bedroom at home reminded me that I was back where I belonged and, more importantly, so was Sophie.

Then I realised that an arm was wrapped around my middle, and it wasn’t mine.

I looked at the sleeping woman and smiled. Anna looked beautiful even first thing in the morning, and that was a rare quality in a woman. She opened an eye and smiled.

I kissed her, so she snaked her arm behind my head.

“Mmm, morning,” she said, returning the kiss.

I couldn’t believe how blessed I was, to have had the opportunity to love, and be loved by, two wonderful women.

“You’re all scratchy,” she complained.

“I also want to pee,” I said, as I extricated myself from her embrace.

“Have one for me while you’re there,” she said.

I smiled, and managed to reach the bathroom. It had been a long time since I shared my bed with anyone. Occasionally, just after Karen died, the kids would sleep with me, and that helped me, as I hated being alone. But it had been some time since that had happened.

I relieved myself, and then ran some water into the basin. As I started to shave, I realised that here was one advantage of being female. Anna came in and hugged me, before sitting on the loo herself. There was no embarrassment and no awkwardness between us; it was as if we had been together for years. She finished, and came and cleaned her teeth.

“Are you coming back to bed?” she asked.

“If I’m not, then I’m shaving for nothing,” I said and she laughed. I felt her hand snake into my trousers, and I was instantly aroused.

“Now, now, careful, otherwise I’ll cut my nose off, and then you’ll be sorry,” I said.

It’s not your nose I’m interested in!” she said. However, she took her hand away and chuckled, and went back to bed.

I finished shaving and followed her back to the bedroom. Her nightdress was on the floor, and all she wore was a cheeky grin and an expectant expression peeking above the duvet, which she had pulled up to her chin.

I experienced a pang of extreme tenderness, and joined her, naked under the duvet. I had not been intimate with a woman since Karen had died and, indeed, if the truth be known, for about a year before that.

We made love very slowly and tenderly, as if to hurry it would be somehow in breach of what we had discovered. We were two injured souls, just finding solace with each other and beginning to feel whole people once more.

She lay in my arms afterwards, holding me tightly.

“Do you feel guilty?” she asked.

“About what?”

“Anything, - everything, - this?”

“Not in the least, do you?”

“No, but I keep feeling I should.”

“Why?” I asked.

She laughed. “I don’t have a clue. I just feel that it’s all happened too fast.”

“I don’t call twenty-five years too fast, do you?”

She laughed again.

“You know perfectly well what I mean,” she said, tickling me.

I laughed, rolling on top of her again. She looked up at me.

“I do love you, Rob.”

“Yeah,” I said, kissing her.

“I never thought I’d love again, and then your phone call arrived out of the blue. I was sitting feeling really miserable, and I was thinking back to happier days, which made me even more depressed. Sophie was moaning that all her friends had gone away for Christmas, and why couldn’t we do something different, and then your call came. It was as if you knew.”

I smiled and kissed her again.

“I’d been in a bloody coma for nearly four months, so why do you think one of the first things I should do was to call you?”

“Why?”

“Because, you daft bint, I never stopped loving you.”

She stroked my face with her hand, and I was surprised to see her crying.

“You have no idea how bloody unhappy I was,” she said.

“Don’t I?”

“Oh, all right, you’re perhaps one of the few people I know who just might,” she conceded.

“And now?” I asked.

“Oh Rob, I can’t tell you what a difference your call made to me. It was like all the Christmases and birthdays all rolled into one.”

“Happy Christmas,” I said and she smiled.

I kissed away her salty tears, moving down and kissing her breasts, she began to respond, holding me close. We just revelled in each other’s touch and the sensation of being loved and loving one another. After so long, it was as if it was all so new and fresh.

Eventually we made slow and luxurious love again, and it was as if we were being fused into one entity. Being able to give pleasure to someone else, who was returning the favour, was simply exquisite.

We showered, dressed and went downstairs to find my Sophie was vacuuming the living-room carpet. She had Matt washing the windows and the other Sophie cleaning the silver.

The younger boys had been banished to the attic, to make no noise and told only to come out for meals.

Today was the twenty-eighth, and I could see that Sophie had everything under control. Anna and I had some breakfast, being careful to clear up afterwards, under the eagle eye of my daughter. The sun was out and, although cool, it was a nice day.

I suggested taking the dog for a walk, and so Anna and I took Buster into the woods for a walk. We held hands like teenagers, speaking little. I sensed we both felt relieved to have found someone, and so that dreadful loneliness was no longer hanging like a pall over us.

“Rob?”

“Mmm?”

“Are we being too hasty?”

I thought about it for a moment.

“I don’t know. I know my own mind, and as far as I am concerned, I don’t think so. But I don’t see why we need rush into anything, if you are feeling pressurised.”

She took my arm and gave it a squeeze.

“Oh Rob. It has just been so awful being alone. When you proposed I was just so surprised.”

“Does that mean you’re having second thoughts about accepting?”

She stopped walking and so I did too. She looked up at me and her eyes sparkled.

“Are you sure you were serious?” she asked.

“Absolutely,” I said, smiling.

A single tear rolled down her cheek, which I caught on my index finger. I put it in my mouth, tasting the salt.

She looked so wonderful, so I bent and kissed her. She flung her arms around my neck and hugged me for all she was worth.

Buster got bored of this after a minute or so, and barked to let his feelings known.

Anna laughed, leaning back in my arms to look at me.

“I just feel that this shouldn’t be happening,” she said.

I laughed. “Why the hell not?”

“I don’t know. I suppose I think that you meet your first husband, and then that’s your lot. Falling in love is something you get one crack of.”

“Anna, I love you. I have always loved you, albeit I found a different life for a while.”

She kissed me.

“Don’t leave me. I couldn’t bear it to happen again,” she said.

“So, I take it you’ve decided to marry me again, then?”

She laughed and nodded.

“If you’ll have me.”

“Anytime,” I said, with a leer. She laughed and boxed my ears.

“If you’re going to be a dirty old man, then I may not.”

I grabbed her and made grunting noises in her ear, so she dissolved into giggles.

Barney was clearly most fed up by now, as his impatient barking stopped our tomfoolery. We continued our walk, with her arm around my back, so I draped my arm over her shoulders.

“I find your daughter most disconcerting,” she admitted.

“Sophie. Why?”

“She is so like you were for that play, it’s just uncanny.”

I smiled. I longed to tell her the truth, but knew that I couldn’t.

“I don’t know who that compliments best, me or her.”

“She is a lovely girl, but rather too all-knowing for my liking.”

“Really?”

“She knew you proposed and I accepted. How the hell did she know that?”

“As I said, Sophie and I have always been close. Since Karen died, it is hard to explain, but we have had to be there for each other. Sophie was only eleven, so I had to be a father and a mother to her, and she took on the mother role for Steven. In so many ways, she is very like me, sometimes we almost appear telepathic, but it is just we see the world in the same warped way, I suppose.”

“She’s a lovely girl.”

“So is your Sophie.”

“I’m ever so surprised that they get on so well. It was my one real concern.”

“I’m not.”

“Why not?”

“If your Sophie is anything like you, then my Sophie will become her big sister and be there for her.”

Anna laughed. “Can she walk on water as well?”

I stopped and looked at her.

“Anna, Sophie is special. I can’t explain it, but believe me she is special. She means so much to me. She saved my life, and we have shared so much.”

She placed her hand on my arm and smiled.

“I know. Anyone seeing you both can sense the special relationship you have.”

I smiled.

“But, that doesn’t mean I can’t have my wicked way with you,” I said, grabbing her.

She giggled and we kissed again, much to Buster’s disgust.

We spent the rest of the walk re-discovering a lot about each other. In fact, we both learned that we hardly knew each other at all, but gradually became aware that we had a lot in common. We liked similar foods, similar plays and books, and both longed to travel to similar exotic locations.

We arrived back at the house to find Sophie had made soup and fresh bread in the bread maker for lunch, and there was an atmosphere of calm and order about the place. The boys were still in the attic, and as they had the Xbox, they had no reason to come down. Matt was sitting at the kitchen table watching my Sophie do her nails, as the other Sophie tried to emulate her.

“Hi guys,” I said.

“Hi Daddy, nice walk?” Sophie asked.

“Mmm. Yes, very nice,” I said, and Anna grinned.
 

*          *          *

 
The days seemed to flash by. I cannot recall being quite so content. It was almost as if we were doing something wrong, so I kept feeling guilty for feeling so happy. The strangest thing was sharing a bed with someone. Having been alone for so long, I had almost forgotten what it was like, but Anna was so delightful, we just had fun remembering. She was a very tactile and sexual woman. Not in any raunchy way, she just responded to being loved, and it was so poignant that we would often simply hold each other and weep with happiness.

We got round the Sophie name confusion, because my Sophie started to call her Sophie, ‘Peewee’, and the name stuck. We weren’t into nicknames, but the girl actually liked it, and so she became Peewee from then on.

The day of the party arrived, and I found myself virtually redundant. Sophie had organised everything. She had done most of the food, and Sally had been coerced into making several luscious puddings. Matthew had taken on the bar, and even the boys had helped move the furniture.

They had turned one end of the sitting room into a disco, and the conservatory was where the oldies would be corralled. Anna and I watched with detached amusement, as Sophie organised everyone, so I opened a bottle of wine, sat back and toasted my bride to be.

“To us, my love,” I said.

“Us,” she said, as we clinked glasses.

“How many kids shall we have?” I asked, and she nearly did the nose trick with her wine.

I laughed. “Only joking. These three will be enough for a while,” I said.

She looked at me with a wistful smile.

“It’s not too late.” she said.

I looked at her.

Suddenly, I realised that I would love to cement our union with a child. We were close already, and I felt that this would bring us closer still.

“One condition,” I said.

“What?”

“If she’s a girl, we don’t call her Sophie.”

She laughed, taking my hand.

“I’d like your child,” she said, deadly serious.

“Would you, really?” I asked.

She smiled and nodded.

“It would complete the circle.”

I nodded.

“Let’s see what happens. I must confess, I hadn’t thought about it,” I admitted.

She smiled.

“I had. Why do you think I haven’t spoken about contraception?”

I suddenly got a draining feeling. I hadn’t even thought about it.

She smiled. “As it happens, I came on today, so I’m not. But, I feel I want your child more than anything else.”

I experienced mixed emotions. Relief, that I was given a brief respite, and disappointment as I found I wanted the baby too.

I moved so I was sitting next to her.

“I’d have to marry you then.”

“Oh, Rob. I’d marry you anyway,” she said, and we kissed.

“AHEM.”

We looked up at my daughter.

“Your first guests are arriving any minute, are you two changing?” she said, sounding so like Karen that it made me shiver.

She was looking like very her mother too. She was wearing a very pretty black dress, with stockings and black shoes. Her hair was freshly washed and positively gleamed. Her pretty face was conservatively made up, so she looked twenty-one, not fifteen.

A tear came to my eye, as pride and love welled up in my chest. I stood up and gave her a hug. Her hair smelled of fresh flowers, and she was wearing an alluring scent, which again reminded me of her mother.

I kissed her head.

“I love you so much, Sophie, I’m so proud of you.”

“I love you too, Daddy, but if we stand here all evening, you are going to be wearing jeans when your guests arrive.”

I went up to changed, and Anna came too. There was no self-consciousness between us and, as she stripped down to her underwear, a familiar feeling crept into my nether regions. I went and took hold of her.

She looked at me, sensing my arousal.

“Not now. Later,” she said, laughing.

I pretended to go in a huff, which made her laugh even more.

It was just as well, for as I went downstairs, the first guests arrived. They were all Matt and Sophie’s friends, and I was interested to see Peewee looking very pretty in one of my Sophie’s old dresses. They all disappeared to where the music and drink was. I had given Matt strict instructions to watch how much the young drank.

Sophie was in the kitchen, with an apron protecting her dress.

“Anything I can do, love?” I asked.

“Just be a good host, Daddy, and make sure everyone is happy,” she said, taking out a load of cocktail sausages from the oven and placing them into a dish.

Anna came down, looking gorgeous in a gold dress. I looked at my two girls, and as Peewee came over, I realised I had three lovely ladies in my life.

I told them how lucky I was, and Sophie came out with a very un-lady like snort.

“Of Daddy. PL-ease!” she said, and giggled away in the kitchen.

Mike and his family arrived, so after greeting them at the door, I took them through to the living room. The young sort of detached themselves and gravitated to the others of their own age.

It was great seeing him again. We had been in touch over the years, and had seen each other occasionally, but Australia was a heck of a long way away.

I heard the doorbell, but Sophie shouted that she was there. I was talking to Mike when a very pale Sean was led into the room by his tall attractive wife on one side and Sophie on the other.

“Sean!” I exclaimed and went over to him.

He smiled weakly at me, taking the whisky that Matt thoughtfully provided.

“Rob. Why didn’t you warn me?” he said.

“Warn you? What about?” I asked, frowning.

He pointed to Sophie, who was engaged in conversation with Angela.

“Her.”

“Who, Sophie?”

He nodded and took a deep swig of his whisky.

“She even sounds the same.”

“As what, mate?”

Sean looked at me, realising he was sounding odd.

“I’m sorry. You must think me a complete dickhead. It’s just I have been carrying around this picture in my heart since the Christmas Ball, particularly of when I danced that last time with that Sophie. Over the years, I have never forgotten, and although I adore my wife, she just has always been with me, even in the shitty times in Bosnia.

“When the door opened, I swear, my heart stopped, because there she was, looking exactly the same. The same dress, the shoes, the hair and the smile. She said, “Hello Sean, fancy seeing you again.” It was as if she knew.”

I looked across at my daughter, who glanced at me and gave me that smile. I smiled and shook my head.

“Sean, you’re talking bollocks. Sophie is fifteen, so you’ve never met,” I said.

Some colour was coming back into his face, and he smiled uncertainly.

“Yeah, you are right. It was just the shock of seeing her, I suppose. She is the spitting image of, of, you know who.”

Sophie came over and I formally introduced her to my friend.

He shook her hand, and I noticed his colour drained a little as she stared into his eyes.

I went and introduced Angela to some other friends, and left Sophie with Sean. I dreaded to think what mischief she was planning.
 
 
Chapter 14. Last Words By Sophie
 
 
Aunt Sally had just arrived and was sorting out her puddings. Mike and his brood were getting sorted with drinks, when the doorbell rang. I saw Dad was talking to Mike, so I told him I was there.

I took off my apron and opened the front door.

Sean was older and had less hair than I remembered, but he was still a hunk. His soldiering had hardened him, as there wasn’t a sign of any fat at all. He was dressed in tan trousers, an open neck check shirt with a tweed jacket. I smiled, as he didn’t have to wear a uniform to show he was military.

His tall wife, Angela, was behind him, and was talking to one of their many children. She had put a little weight on since that Christmas Ball, but it made her look better. Still attractive and, judging by the manner in which she looked at Sean, she was obviously very fond of her husband. I felt vindicated by my choice for him all those years ago.

“Hello Sean, fancy seeing you again,” I said, giving him my Sophie smile.

All the colour drained form his face, and for one ghastly moment I thought he was going to collapse on me.

“Sophie?” he croaked.

I smiled again. “Yeah, I’m Sophie. Come in, Dad is inside talking to Mike,” I said.

“Dear, are you all right? You look a little pale,” his wife asked.

He was staring at me, and I gave him a slow wink.

I thought his eyes were going to pop out of his head, but Angela and I helped the poor old fool into the house.

“Hello, you must be Angela? I’m Rob’s daughter, Sophie.”

“Sophie. Now isn’t that strange, this is my Sophie,” she said, showing me her eldest daughter.

I smiled, nodding to her, as we all went into the living room. Dad came right over to Sean, so I left them together, carrying on speaking to Angela and her kids.

Dad waved me over, and introduced me to Sean again. Then he buggered off, leaving me with him.

“So, you’re at school?” Sean asked, lamely.

“Yes. It’s not like Compton College. For a start there are no boys there.”

“Oh. We didn’t have any girls.”

“I know. Except for one.”

His eyebrows shot up.

“One?”

“Mmm. I think her name was Sophie, like me.”

Sean paled again and I felt sorry for him. But, back then, I had fallen in love with the sod, a bit.

“Yeah, Dad told me about the play,” I added, grinning the kind of grin I remembered from back then.

He swallowed and I saw beads of sweat on his forehead.

“Oh, the play. Yes, I see.”

“Do you still remember her?”

Sean stared at me. “I’ve never forgotten her,” he said, looking rather guilty.

I smiled that smile again.

“That’s so sweet. Didn’t she introduce you to your wife?”

He nodded and frowned.

“Anna says I look like that Sophie.”

“Anna?”

“Yes, Dad’s fiancée, Anna Lumley. She was the daughter of one of the teachers. She and Dad went out together for a bit, before they moved away. They got back together recently. She lost her husband in a crash or something.

“Anyway she saw the play, and says that I look just like the Sophie in the play.”

“Yes, you do.”

“I bet that makes you feel really weird?” I said, and he smiled that same old charming smile.

“Yes, it certainly does.”

“So, what was she like, the mystical Sophie?” I asked.

He stared at me for several moments.

“You have to ask?” he said, his voice almost a whisper.

I smiled and shook my head.

“No Sean, I don’t have to ask. I almost feel as if I was there,” I said, smiling again.

He smiled, a very shaky smile, glancing across towards his wife, but then back at me.

“How?” he asked.

“Ah, that would be telling.” I said. “But, I’m so glad you weren’t gay after all,” I said, and went off to find Matt, leaving him staring after me with his mouth open.

Matt was by the bar, doing his best to prevent Steven and his cronies from drinking the adults’ punch.

“Hi sweetie,” I said to him, kissing him.

He looked slightly surprised, but pleased.

“You look gorgeous,” he said, and I smiled.

“Are you going to dance with me?”

He grinned and nodded.

We went into the living room and there were a few of the younger crowd dancing already. He took me in his arms, kissing me, and it wasn’t even a slow dance.

I watched as Sean went over and spoke to Dad again, and then he was introduced to Anna. I smiled, poor sod, I had really worried him.

Matt was nuzzling my neck and it felt very nice, I could also feel a certain something hardening in the trouser department, so I broke out of his grip.

“Come on you randy sod, just dance for a while and let it go down,” I said, and he went red and looked embarrassed. I laughed and kissed his cheek, and he just grinned at me as we danced.

Sally came over to me, quizzing me on Anna, as she had only just twigged that her brother was now engaged, and she was over the moon.

I checked my watch and had to stop and get some of the things out of the oven. Matt and Peewee helped me bring everything to the table, and I announced that the buffet was now open. Needless to say, Steven and the youngest mob were there first, so when they had helped themselves, I brought out the better stuff.

I was sitting with Matt, Peewee and Sean’s Sophie, and we were talking about music when Sean came over.

“How are you getting on, Sophe?” he said to his daughter.

“It’s brill, Daddy. Sophie here was at the Justin Timberlake a couple of weeks ago, and she says he was fantastic,” she said.

Sean smiled and locked eyes with me.

“Good. I’m glad you’re all getting along.”

“Have you had dessert yet, Mr Simmonds?” I asked.

He started, and then relaxed.

“Please call me Sean, as I feel I have known you for ages.”

I stood up, walking down the stairs to where he was standing.

“There is a super trifle, and the chocolate moose is to die for,” I said.

“Sounds lovely,” he said, following me into the dining room.

I handed him a bowl and a spoon, and let him help himself. He then turned and looked at me. He was forty and I was fifteen, and yet it was as if we were at that Christmas Ball again.

He swallowed, appearing very nervous.

“Why are you so nervous with me?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“Why do I get the feeling that we know each other?” he asked me.

I smiled.

“You mean, like you, me and Mike sharing a study together, and I was that girl in the play?” I asked, teasing him.

He frowned.

“How did you know about the study?”

“Dad told me.”

“Oh.”

“Sean, there is no way I could have been there, so stop beating yourself up,” I said, and he smiled weakly as my heart had a little flutter.

“You loved her, didn’t you?” I asked.

He nodded.

“I still do. She was like a goddess. No matter how much I told myself it was just my friend Rob, it was as if I also knew that she wasn’t. I can’t explain it, but I swear that he was possessed by the most wonderful creature for such a short time.”

“You mean from when you banged his head in that rugger game, right up to after the play?”

He nodded, frowning again.

“Have you any idea how hard it must have been for a girl trapped in a boys’ school?” I asked.

He stared at me.

“All those boys and you in the bloody showers with a hard on?”

His mouth opened.

“And I was a bloody boy too. Talk about damned and sent to hell.”

“You?”

“Sean, how on earth do you think I know about your internal struggles? My Dad was vacant for three months. I was somehow stuck in his life, and you fell in love with me. How the hell do you think I felt?”

“You?” he repeated, unnecessarily in my book.

“Yes, Sean, me. I was the girl in the play, why do you think I dressed like this? I remembered what I was wearing that night, and tried to get a dress just like it for tonight. Do you really think my Dad could have acted that well?”

He just stared at me, making little strangled noises.

“I fell in love with you a little, after all, I was a girl, and you were so hunky. Still are, even if you are losing your hair,” I said, ruffling his receding hairline.

He looked around, so we moved off to one side. He hadn’t touched his chocolate mousse.

I took a spoonful and it was delicious.

“You really ought to eat that, Sally’s puddings are wonderful,” I said, and he automatically took a spoonful.

“How?”

“I don’t know, and it was only for those three months. But I remember everything. I remember your near breakdown when you thought you loved Rob. Our chats about whether you were gay, and our kiss. That was my first kiss, did you realise that?”

He smiled.

“Mine too.”

“But, I’m now back where I belong now while you have your Angela and your wonderful family. I’ve a great boyfriend, so life goes on. We were just never meant to be, were we?”

He shook his head, and I could tell he was trying to work out how to make a pass at me.

“Sean, forget it. My job was to straighten you out. You almost screwed me up in the process, so you must forget this conversation ever took place. The men in white coats would lock us both up if this ever got out.”

“I knew, you know?”

“Knew what?”

“As soon as you opened the door, I knew I had found you again.”

I smiled.

“I know, otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

“I still love you.”

I shook my head.

“No Sean, you loved a girl a long time ago, and she is gone now. What we had was different and special, and was meant only to be then and there. I have a boyfriend, and am very happy. You have a wife and responsibilities.”

He nodded his head slowly, and smiled.

“You’re more beautiful now.”

I smiled and blushed, seeing Daddy approaching from behind him.

“No. I won’t go to bed with you,” I teased in a loud voice, and he laughed.

Daddy was frowning, causing me to burst out laughing.

“Hi Daddy, Sean was just telling me how much I looked like the girl you portrayed in the play.”

“Was he?” he said, still frowning.

“Oh Daddy. Stop being so silly, I was teasing you. Sean is far too old for me, and besides, I’d wear him out in less than three hours.”

Anna appeared so I slipped away. Sean saw me go and smiled. Pity, he was still quite hunky.

Matt grabbed me and pulled me onto the dance floor again, and I spent the rest of the evening in his arms.

We were snuggled together on a sofa when Daddy came over to us.

“Sophie, Sean and Angela are leaving,” he said.

I looked at my watch, it was one in the morning, but the party was still going strong. I unwrapped myself from Matt’s clutches and went to the door. Angela gave me a hug and a kiss, as did each of the kids. They had had a super time, even their Sophie had rather fallen for some boy who was someone’s brother.

Angela took her brood to the car, while Sean said goodbye to Dad.

Then he turned to me, and I put my arms round his neck and kissed him as I had on that last occasion.

I stopped, looked at him and smiled.

“Goodbye Sean, I’m glad that Angela looked after you so well. Good luck with the rest of your life,” I said, and turned and walked back into the house. He couldn’t see my tears.

I sought out Matt and clung to him for a long time.

“Sophie?” Matt asked.

“What?”

“Do you think we will still love each other when we are as old as our parents?”

“Hard to tell, the brain ceases to work at that age,” I said, and he chuckled.

“Do you think we’ll get married?”

“Matt, I don’t know. I’m only fifteen; you’re my first boyfriend, so there is so much time.”

“I can’t imagine life without you.”

“I don’t think you’ve tried very hard.”

“I have. And life without you seems a very cold and desolate place.”

“Aw, poor baby. Come here, and let me kiss you better.”

Needless to say, that was the end of that conversation.
 

*          *          *

 
Eventually we all went to bed, (no, not together) but I lay awake for ages. There was a knock on my door, so I went and opened it. I had half-expected Matt, but it was Daddy.

“Can I come in?”

“Sure.”

I went back to bed, and he sat next to me.

“Good party,” he said.

I nodded.

“Sean was on good form.”

I nodded again.

“You told him?”

“He knew. From the moment he saw me, he knew.”

“How?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know, so I told him.”

“Everything?”

“No, just the bits about him.”

He looked at me and took my hand.

“He loved you?”

I nodded. “I loved him a little too,” I admitted.

“Was it hard?”

I nodded once more, feeling the tears weren’t far away.

“You did so well. I am so proud of you,” he said, giving me a big cuddle.

“Daddy?”

“What?”

“He still is very hunky.”

He smiled. “So?”

I shrugged.

“I just think he is still hunky. But then, so are you.”

“What about Matt?”

I smiled. “He’s the best.”

“That’s my girl,” he said, and kissed my cheek. “Thanks for being so strong.”

“I don’t feel strong, sometimes.”

“I know, I’m the same. But life is going to get better from now on.”

“Daddy?”

“What?”

“Are you and Anna going to have any kids?”

“What makes you ask that?”

“Well, you love each other, and she is not quite a pensioner, so I thought you might.”

“We might.”

“Can I ask one thing?”

“What?”

“If you have a girl, please don’t call her Sophie.”


 
The End of this Bit

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What?! No Comments?!

terrynaut's picture

I love this story. I hope I'm not jinxing it by loving it but I can't help feeling the way I do, and I can't help posting a comment.

This wonderful story deserves more attention. I just don't get it. It's receive a fair number of votes, but where are the comments?

Once again, I'll say that the writing is great and the story is cute, funny and very satisfying.

There's one aspect of the body swapping in this story that keeps making me think. I love how well the father and daughter get to know and understand each other. Swapping bodies would be such a great way to appreciate each other.

So thanks again and again for this story. I hope you write more like it. I'll be keeping an eye out for something like Stunning Thursday. ;)

- Terry

Gruesome Tuesday

Greetings

I had read this story previously, but it worthy of another read.

Thank you Tanya for the story.

Brian

Really Sweet

I'm really surprised this story hasn't received more comments. I absolutely loved it(but then I am a romantic at heart). It is a really sweet story

-Joanna