Football Girl ~ Chapter 12

Printer-friendly version
‘That is you! What the hell is going on here?’

Claire stepped in quickly, dragging Andrew off me.

‘Look, Andrew, don’t throw like, a wobbly. We can explain…’
 
 

Football Girl
Chapter 12

By Susan Brown


 
Previously...

After about twenty minutes we could see that she was getting a bit tired so we said our goodbyes and walked out. We had just turned left out of the ward when I collided with someone, I landed on the floor and he sort of fell on top of me.

“Andrew!” shouted Claire.

My heart sank as I saw him get up and dust himself down then look down at me.

“Sorry, Miss, I didn’t see–M-Mark is that you?”

And now the story continues…

‘I…I…I.’

‘That is you! What the hell is going on here?’

Claire stepped in quickly, dragging Andrew off me.

‘Look, Andrew, don’t throw like, a wobbly. We can explain…’

Struggling to untangle my legs and getting up, I felt rather sick because Andrew sounded far from friendly. I stood up finally and faced him. ‘Hello, Andrew.’

‘Christ, you even sound like a girl. This isn’t Halloween you know. Are you doing this for a bet or something?’

I was still speechless but Claire wasn’t. ‘Look, you plonker, we can’t talk here, let’s go to the hospital cafeteria.’

We trooped downstairs to the café, got ourselves some cokes and sat in a relatively quiet corner.

‘Right then, what’s going on and why do you look like that?’

Taking a deep breath, I tried to explain.

‘Look Andrew, this is no joke. I have been dressing secretly as a girl for years. It was only when my step father went too far and I had to get away, that I started to do this full time when I’m not doing my football thing.’

As I explained all that had happened his mouth kept doing impressions of a halibut. After I finished, Andrew looked incredulous as if he couldn’t get his head around the fact that I was now a girl.

‘But you can’t be a girl; you play football.’

‘Lots of girls, like play football,’ said Claire.

‘Yea, but not professionally; what happens when the press finds out an’ that?’

‘I don’t know: look I need time and hope that things work out in the end.’

‘Why didn’t you tell me?’

‘For you to have a go at me or laugh, tell everyone and then make my life… a… a misery? No thanks; we weren’t close enough for that.’

Andrew looked a bit sick. I had never noticed before that he had nice eyes and his nose tipped upward at the end…He looked nice too, still wearing his scout uniform…better than the jeans and t shirts he normally wore…I shook my head, clearing out these weird thoughts and nearly missed what he said next.

‘You could have told me. What sort of friend do you think I am? I don’t have many and I stick up for the ones I do have.’

He got up.

‘I have to go and see mum now,’ he said in a dead sort of voice. ‘Don’t worry, I won’t blab to the press.’

‘Are…are we still friends?’

‘Course you are like, friends,’ Claire butted in.

‘I…I don’t know. I was sort of proud that my mate was a famous footballer, but I’m not sure I can take all this and the fact that you didn’t like me enough to trust me with your secret…I need to think; see you.’

He went off and I sort of started to get a bit weepy.

‘Don’t worry, Susan, He’ll come round, it’s just that he’s like, stubborn an’ that.’

I didn’t say anything, not sure of my feelings and confused about–everything really.

That night, I didn’t sleep very well and my thoughts did not stray far from Andrew and his reaction me. I wondered if he would still be my friend and also whether he would out me. Then there was the doctor’s appointment the next day. Why were my breasts growing like this and were the pills that I had been taking, somehow bad ones?

The next morning I was woken up by Claire jumping on my bed. ‘Come on, Susan; your mother’s called up three times for you to get up. The last one sounded a bit like she was going to, like, come and throw a bucket of water on you or something.’

‘What time is it?’ I yawned.

‘Nearly nine and you’ve about an hour to get ready before the doctor’s appointment.’

That woke me up all right. My heart sunk and then did a sort of a flip as I realised that this was a bit of an important day for me. Getting up, I went to the bathroom while Claire got herself ready. She was coming with us and was going to be dropped off at the hospital to visit her mum while we went on to see my doctor. We would be picking her up on the way back.

I wasn’t very hungry at breakfast and just toyed with my cornflakes. Josie didn’t say anything and I think she realised I was a bit worried.

I was wearing a pink angora jumper and a white medium length cord skirt. My hair was in a high pony tail using a pink scrunchie. I went easy on the makeup, not wanting to seem to be overdoing it.

‘Bye, Daddy.’ I said giving him a quick kiss and a hug.

‘Bye, honey, let me know how you get on and don’t worry, it will all work out, I’m sure.’

I just nodded and then gave the twins a quick peck on the top of their heads, their faces being covered in breakfast cereal.

Jeff was staying at home and working in the office. He was going to look after the twins too, so we didn’t have to worry about them today.

The doctor had consulting rooms near the town centre and just half an hour later we pulled up in the car park and made our way to reception. As soon as we were inside, the receptionist checked me off on her computer and asked us to sit in the waiting room.

There were several comfy chairs and we sat and waited for the doctor. At least the place was empty other than us so I didn’t have the embarrassment of being stared at.

A few minutes later a door opened and lady wearing a white coat with a stethoscope hanging round her neck came out. She was, I suppose about thirty and very pretty; slim, with long straight brown hair.

‘Hello, Susan and Josie?’

We both nodded.

‘Will you both come in, please?’ We followed her into the consulting room where she sat behind a desk, motioning us to take a seat opposite her.

‘My name is Dr Connor. I have some notes here, but they are far from complete. Now Susan, can you tell me a bit about why you present as a girl. Don’t worry, I’m not judgemental and I only want to help you decide the way forward.’

‘Do you want me to wait outside?’ asked Josie.

Dr Connor looked at me and raised her eyebrows.

‘C–can you stay, Mummy?’

‘Of course, love.’

I told the doctor about my dressing and then how I had almost certainly wanted to be a girl. I also told her about my other life as a footballer and the problems I had trying to keep the two sides of my life apart.

‘Thank you, Susan, that gives me a better picture of what you have been going through. It sounds a bit complicated to say the least! What I need to do now is examine you and take some blood. Is that okay with you?’

I nodded.

‘I’ll wait outside.’ said Josie as I was given a gown to wear.

The doctor left while I changed. The gown was one of those that did up at the back and left your bottom rather exposed, so it was hardly what you would call flattering. After putting it on, I noticed that my breasts were rather prominent through the thin white material. I wasn’t big by any means, but it wasn’t what I expected to have–yet anyway.

There was a knock on the door.

‘C–come in.’

Dr Connor walked in with a file in her hand. ‘Good, you’ve changed. Would you like to jump up on the examination couch? I’ve just received the results of the tests that were done on the pills you were taking. I haven’t had time to look at them but will do so after I have had a good look at you.’

I don’t like medical examinations and this one didn’t make me feel any better about them. I was prodded, poked, had needles stuck in me, I lost about an armful of blood; readings were taken of my heart and blood pressure. I was surprised as it was even more thorough than the medical I had had at the club.

While she did the tests, she asked me a number of questions that were rather embarrassing.

‘Susan, do you have many erections?’

‘N…no.’

‘When was the last time?’

‘Well, before I started to take the pills, my penis was a bit hard when I woke up in the morning, but not very, if you know what I mean.’

‘Have you ever masturbated? Don’t be shy, most kids, girls and boys do it sometimes.’

I felt myself go hot as I struggled to answer.

I…I tried a few times, but I don’t think I did it properly as nothing much came out: just some clear stuff.’

‘So you know what semen looks like.’

I nodded, feeling my face get hotter. ‘I…I saw some things on the internet and we did sex education at school.’

The examination continued after that. It wasn’t nice when she stuck her finger up my bottom and wiggled it about a bit and then, she messed about with my genitals and that hurt a lot, so I was feeling a bit bruised and battered to say the least. She examined my breasts and I had funny sort of feelings there as she examined them, once again I was getting a bit hot and I wondered if it showed how embarrassed I felt. I was asked several times to wee in a little pot thingy but was too nervous. I was then told to have a large drink of water and sit down for a break.

‘I’ll have a look at these results for those pills while you have a rest and I will ask your mother to come back in.’

As I sipped the water, Josie came in and sat down next to me. ‘How’s it going, kiddo?’

‘Oh, Mummy, I hate these examinations.’

‘Well, no one likes them. You aren’t supposed to enjoy them, you know. Jeff rang earlier and asked how things are going.’

‘How’s he coping with the terrible two?’

‘He loves looking after them. He thinks he’s one of those new men, you know, all touchy-feely and happy to help with the chores.’

‘I bet he doesn’t like changing nappies though!’

We both laughed as Dr Connor came in. We stopped smiling as we saw the expression on her face.

‘What’s wrong?’ Josie asked.

‘Not too sure yet; look, Susan, do you want to go in the loo and try to do a wee in the bottle for me?’

I picked up the pot and went into the toilet shutting the door after me. The worry on Dr Connor’s face sort of made me want to use the toilet anyway so I had no trouble producing a sample. My hands were shaking slightly as I worried about what was going on.

I made a bit of a mess so I cleared things up and it was a few minutes before I was ready to go back into the consulting room. My hands were shaking for some reason and was feeling slightly hot.

‘There you are,’ said Dr Connor, ‘I thought you’d got lost in there.’

I smiled weakly as I sat down next to Josie.

‘Well, I have looked at the test results and also the analysis of the pills you gave me to have tested. Firstly, you are healthy and strong in most respects. However we have a few problems. As you know, you took those pills to block the possibility of male puberty starting until you were able to fully make up your mind. The analysis of the pills show some disturbing results. There were a number of things in them that should not have been there; yes they contained the anti-androgens that were supposed to be there but in larger quantities than are considered safe. Also, there were large amounts of high potency oestrogen. How long were you taking them?’

‘About six months’

‘Too long; far too long. That’s why you have the breast development and your genitals are atrophying.’

‘What's atrophying?’ I asked, holding Mummy’s hand.

‘ A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, in your case, your genitals. Look there is no easy way to say this, you are almost certainly sterile and I think that you probably have permanently damaged testicles. The medication that you have been taking, make your testes shrink and effectively become juvenile. They may or may not produce sperm after pills are stopped. I think that we need to book you in for an exploratory operation sooner rather than later. I do not want you to have anything nasty happen down there.’

‘Cancer?’ I whispered, gripping Mummy’s hand even tighter.

‘I doubt it, so don’t worry. I did a thorough examination down there and I don’t think you have to worry about it at the moment but I think we will need to pursue the possibility that you may need a bilateral orchidectomy where your testicles are removed to prevent the unlikely possibility of cancer or other problems occurring if not now, in the future. Oestrogen wouldn’t cause testicular cancer; if anything it would reduce the chances of it. The main risk with testosterone blockers eg androcur, is liver damage. Another thing, the use of oestrogens with testosterone blockers would bring rapid loss of muscle mass which would have an effect upon strength and possibly stamina. This would give probable weight loss and may also impact on your football career. We may be able to help you with the weight and stamina side of things, but make no mistake, it would be hard work for you to maintain a level of fitness needed to play a professional sport. You would need to be totally dedicated and focussed, but I’m guessing that you are that anyway. Look, I’m telling you this as you need to be aware of all the implications.’

She looked at me with concern. ‘How do you feel about all this, Susan?’

I was a bit numb. Like most people the “C-word” made me feel slightly sick at the thought of what may or may not happen to me.

Josie began asking a few questions and I sort of zoned out for a moment.

‘Susan!’

‘What? Oh sorry, did you say something?’

‘I asked how you feel about all this?’

‘I…I don’t know. I want to be a girl but I want to be really sure I make the right decision. I've read a lot on line about people who have gone the whole way and discovered after a while that it was the worst decision they had made. I want to be a girl and am a girl but I wanted to do it right and not make any mistakes…but now…’

‘Now you think you have no choices?’

I nodded.

‘Look, honey,’ said Mummy. 'You know that you aren’t alone in this; you have Jeff, me and your mum. We will help you as much as we can and I’m sure Claire will have something to say–she normally does!’

I smiled weakly at Mummy’s attempt at a joke.

‘Okay,’ said Dr Connor, 'I think we need to step back for a bit and let things take their course. But first, let me say a few things. Observing you, Susan, I can see that you present yourself as a very pretty and convincing girl. You can still present as a male but to be honest I think it will get harder as time goes by. You have no facial hair and your voice has not broken significantly. Your musculature is somewhat androgynous, which means neither really male nor female so it will get harder to be seen as a male as you get older. I know you have your football career to consider so you have to make some decisions soon. I want to you to see a psychiatrist I know who specialises in gender matters and I’ll arrange an appointment for you as soon as possible. You need to talk to someone with experience in this field and anyway, we need to go through some hoops if you decide that we should go through the complete reassignment route. I will also arrange the exploratory examination for next week, so make yourself available at short notice. Okay?’

I nodded, still on autopilot; it was all too much to take in. Things had happened to me in such a short time that wouldn’t happen to anyone else in a lifetime.

We parked in the hospital car park but, before we went to get Claire, we had a walk around the hospital gardens. There were quite a number of people there including patients in wheelchairs being pushed by nurses or relatives; others were walking or sitting on benches having a crafty cigarette before returning to the smoke-free environment of the hospital.

It was a gorgeous winter’s day with some warmth from the sun, showing that spring was around the corner. I wondered what position I would be in when spring arrived.

We sat on a bench next to a duck pond; it was nice and peaceful there and I had time to have a bit of a think. Josie didn’t say anything and I think she knew that I wanted sort things out in my head.

I looked at her; she was gazing into the distance thinking her own thoughts. I wondered if she had realised what she was getting into when she took me on.

‘Sorry.’ I said.

She looked at me, frowning. ‘What for?’

‘I’m nothing but trouble.’ I whispered, my lip trembling. I felt tears running slowly down my cheeks.

She opened her arms and I fell into them and cried my heart out. She stroked my hair and whispered stuff that I can’t remember but what I do know was that it helped–a lot. As soon as I felt a bit better, I moved away from her.

‘Here,’ she said, passing me a hankie. I wiped my eyes, noticing some mascara on the tissue and then blew my nose. I went to hand the hankie back to her and she made a face and we both laughed a bit at that; relieving the tension.

‘How do you feel now, love?’

‘Better thanks.’

‘That’s good. Now, young lady, don’t think about your being ‘trouble’ we’ve had this conversation before. Even though you have a mum, and she loves you lots, you’re lucky; ’cause you have another mother–me–and a father in Jeff, who dotes on you. We both love you as much as we would have if I had given birth to you myself. Now I don’t want to hear any more of that nonsense. You are stuck with us whether you like it or not.’

‘I like.’

‘Good, that’s what I want to hear.’

We sat there for a few more minutes. Ducks kept coming up to us and I wished that I had some bread for them. Soon they went further down the pond to a little girl who had brought the necessary, leaving us in peace.

‘Mummy?’

‘Yes, love?’

‘It’s going to get worse before it gets better isn’t it?’

‘I think so, we are here for you. What are you thinking?’

‘What Dr Connor said; I don’t really have a choice now, I have to be a girl.’

‘It’s what you want.’

‘I know, but I want to be a footballer too.’

‘Well, you can be both.’

‘I know, but it’s so brilliant playing professionally with the best players in the country. Ladies football is good and it’s getting better, but the teams in this country are not in the same class as the men’s teams; it’s a money thing I suppose. Football for girls is one of the fastest growing and popular sports and yet there is next to no real recognition for it. Yes you get the cup finals on Sky if you are lucky, but it’s not the same as men’s football.’

‘What are you going to do about Melchester?’

‘I don’t know. They need me, the injuries that they have are as bad as they can be. If I dropped out through injury or something, I think that that would struggle. D’you think I’m being big headed?’

‘No, honey, you are something special. Look, a lot has to happen before you need to do anything. Continue to play and don’t say anything, that’s what I would do.’

‘Isn’t that dishonest?’

‘Probably, but if you did tell them and you had to stop playing, they would be in a worse position than not knowing…does that make sense?’

‘Mmm, it does. If I did tell them, I wonder how long the press would take to tear me apart?’

‘Not very long love. Look, you have the opportunity to do things at your own pace. I don’t know how long you will have to be out of action if or when you have your bilateral orchidectomy but until then, I would let things take their course.’

‘I’m hoping I can continue until the season ends. I suppose it depends on what they find when they do the exploratory operation. I wonder if I can still play for them after, you know what?’

‘I don’t know, honey; I think this is kind of a unique situation but there’s no point in beating yourself up over it at the moment. Now we had better go and get Claire before her mum has a relapse, but first we need to go to the ladies to repair our faces.’

Looking at my face in the mirror, the streaky makeup did little to enhance my looks. Luckily I was able to do the necessary repairs and then we made our way to the ward where Claire’s mum was.

As we walked into the room, I hesitated and my heart flipped as with Claire and her mum, was Andrew, sitting by the side of the bed. They all looked up as we entered. I was looking at Andrew and a look of confusion was on his face before he looked away.

That hurt a bit as it seemed as if he hadn’t forgiven me or worse didn’t accept me for who I am. Tears pricked at my eyes and I just mumbled that I would wait outside with the car and I left before anyone could say anything.

Waiting by the car, I felt confused and more than a bit cheesed off. Why did he feel this way about me? All right I didn’t tell him about me, but I didn’t think that we were that close and anyway, my being a girl wasn’t a thing that I was about to broadcast at school when I was there or anywhere else for that matter.

I looked in the wing mirror and saw that my face was in need of repair–again–and saw in the reflection that Andrew walking up to the car.

Turning around, I looked at him as he stared at me.

‘What?’ I said.

‘You’ve been crying.’

‘So?’

‘Is it because of me?’

‘No…yes…I don’t know. Everything is making me cry at the moment.’

Looking at him, I saw that he was wearing of all things a Melchester sweat shirt. It looked nice on him and … I wasn’t going there. What is up with me?

‘I…I think we need to talk,’ he said, ‘fancy a coke in the cafeteria?’



To Be Continued...

Angel

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape. and to the equally lovely Angharad for her expertise and support.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So now we find out...

So now we find out the composition of those pills she has been taking, and it doesn't look good for her (male) football career. Hopefully that won't come to too bad a conclusion once the club finds out (which they'll have to, eventually).

Thanks, Susan, for another chapter. I always look forward to this story.

Hooray!

Yippie! I get to take a break from my miserable efforts and read someone else's delightful tale.

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

So sorry

RAMI

Enjoy this story and the creative writing, but do not deprecate your own talents. Your writing is great.

Rami

RAMI

Great story!

Where in the world did she get those pills, anyway? If she'd done her homework, as it sounds like she did, she'd know the right dosages, at least in a general way. So it sounds like they weren't very well marked or something. Also I've never heard of pills that had anti-androgens and estrogen in the same pill.

Things are going to come to a head even sooner than she planned, now. And maybe a boyfriend on the horizon?

This story just gets more interesting!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

combo drugs

diane35, genette35, climen are 3 that I can think of on top of my hea that could of been gotten off internet. Tho I believe all three are usually described as having both. there's likely others and many of the blackmarket pharmacies might not had such detailed descript.
--
even said this all human's produce both estrogen & testerone. it's what the body produces more of that influences body. I think its normally 75/25% but it varies tremendiously which is why it's so SO SO recomended that a health professionl administer those prescription drugs.
--
Herbals may be a better bet in self procribing, but I believe you want results, do it right, better than playing Russian Roulette.

Orchi-

Sue, love your story and drop everything as soon as a new chapter comes out.
One little thing, an orchidectomy is to surgically remove one's orchids :-)
I know thats not what you meant, it's orchiectomy, to chop one's nads off, a wonderful thing to do.
-Christine

Orchidectomy

Sorry, Christine, you are wrong because this story is set in the UK, and in the UK castration is referred to medically as a bilateral orchiDectomy and this was confirmed by our clinical adviser, Angharad, who is a medical professional as well as being post op.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Thanks Gabi

Another one for the English-English Dictionary

The Queen's English and Those who Abuse it

As someone who juggles British and American characters, I find I must refer to English-American, American-English dictionaries as well as dictionaries of American and British slang in an effort to make sure I'm not ballsing things up. With my mind already grinding away on the next story, 'While the Band Played Waltzing Matilda,' I'm starting to delve into Digger-speak. Oye! It's enough to turn your head.

So I sympathize with any writer who let's a few stray terms and slang expressions get by them.

At to the story, do keep up the great work you're doing. I love it.

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

You do very well ...

... too, Nancy. I've read stories here supposedly set in the UK which simply don't read as British but yours don't grate at all. I'll let you know when you drop off :) As a pom I'll leave the Oz speak to others.

Geoff

I understand what you're saying...

Several people complained (a lot) that my british speakers sounded "american" in Hidden Gifts. I've attempted to rectify this, by employing another editor (two english & two american)... And, as a result, I've not gotten any more complaints. Of course, this COULD be because most brits have simply given up on reading (I'm kinda slow posting due to RL issues).

Dictionaries help with individual words - but phrases and coloquialisms [sp?] such can still trip us up.

You're to be congratulated for succeeding as well as most seem to indicate.

Annette

Oi! Oi! Oi!

I thought English was a vibrant language changing with popular usage to suit the times and our expanding multi culture?

It must be, as no one I know speaks like Shakespeare nowdays, although there are a few who try and get away with it, e.g (National Anthem- Girt by Sea)- Long live Waltzing Matilda!

Yes, I agree a great story!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

ahem

kristina l s's picture

I think that phrase is patented by Aussie sports fans. But for a modest fee I'll sell it... er, give it away... oh just take it, please. Can't stand hearing it to be honest. I think it was vaguely cute for a week or two back in 2000.

Girt's a nice gel she is. Bit too much damper though mebee. Sorry, never mind...

Kristina

Susan is here to stay, it seems.

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Sue,

I could say I like this story, which I do, I could say it's a great story, which it is, I could say many nice things, but they all seem a bit flat and tawdry. I'm very much enjoying your story-telling. Please post more soon?

Thank you for sharing.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Susan Can Sue

For damages. Whoever prescribed those pills did not take into account that she was only on blockers. Maybe the Manchester's attorney can do something. That is, if she tell. But I hope that she has a new friend in that young man.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not Really...

I seem to recall that (s)he got those pills over the internet - no prescription...

PB

New York Lawyers

Obviously you have never met a New York Lawyer.

First: Susan tried to track down the folks owns the web site where she bought the pills from and sues them.

Second: She sues the people who hosts the web site

Third: She sues the people who designed the web site

Forth: She sues the people who owns the search engine she used to find the web site

Fifth: She sues the Internet provider for hosting a web site that sold illegal/bad meds

Sixth: She sues the manufacturer of the computer she used to access the world wide web where the illegal/bad meds were sold.

Seventh: She sues the store that sold her the computer . . . .

And I'm just getting started. In time, she'll eventually sue Al Gore, who invented the internet, which proved to be a faulty invention that ultimately caused her medical condition.

Nancy Cole


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

hmmm

Al Gore invented the internet? I think you're being deliberately provocative but I will never the less point out that it was Tim Berners-Lee who invented the World Wide Web which is inextricably involved with what we know as the internet. He's British you know LOL.

I suppose I should comment on this excellent story whilst I'm here. Ultimately Susan is going to have to choose between professional football and being 'Susan'. Women's football is not in the same league (literally) as men's in either the world or in the UK. She simply could not match the strength of top male players; skill would simply not be sufficient. What I find intriguing is how our author is going to square this circle and bring about a satisfactory solution.

Incidentally, I wonder if other UK readers caught the broadcast of 'Gregory's Girl' a couple of weeks ago. It has some small echoes of this story in that a girl demonstrates such high footballing skills that she's picked for the school team. She's also gorgeous which plays havoc with the hormones ravaging 16 year old boys. It's an old film but a little gem of teenage angst and coming of age.

Geoff

It All Goes Back To 2000 Election

jengrl's picture

Geoff,

Al Gore claimed to have invented the internet during the 2000 election. The press jumped all over it and it became a running joke on the late night talk shows. So that was where the reference came from.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

More accurately

erin's picture

The media repeated the contention that Al Gore said he invented the internet.

Here's the Snopes article: http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp .

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

inventing the internet

What Gore actually did do was to write the Gore Bill (aka. High Speed Computing and Communications Act of '91) and get it passed, he also structured a huge number of regulations and international agreements which effect the internet and allow it to work. That isn't inventing the machines but is a type of creation, and Vint Cerf has said that Gore had as big a role as he did. Kahn also gives Gore credit. They were there, I wasn't paying attention yet, so I'll take their word. But that doesn't fit into a monologue, does it? And it's much longer than Rush's and Bill's attention spans.

I quite agree...

Puddintane's picture

My own first network was ARPANET at Cal Berkeley, where one had to route one's messages by hand, as it were, until one found an IMP. Al Gore's Information Superhighway was a very big deal, and he carried a lot of water for the project.

Scientists and researchers may create things, but politicians and marketeers put them out on the shop shelves where people can buy them without being a student at a major research university or a part of the military think tanks.

Look, you can just see me in the upper left on the 1974 map, labeled UCB:

http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/cybergeo...

I'm the one waving...

And as it happens, I invented the Internet, at least the hypertext part (if one excepts Vannevar Bush) several years before Tim did, but was assaulted late at night on campus and my university career put on hold for many years as I first recuperated in hospital, then attempted to put my life back together as a programmer and sometime guru. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to my thesis, it was old hat. So it goes.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Thats a cute picture Puddin'

Its amusing that at each of the nodes on the left side there was either a T that was instrumental or involved. At one time the three major IP's in the Bay Area were all owned by Trans-sisters.

Transistor Sister

Puddintane's picture

Oddly enough, there's a line of geek fashion jewellery by that name. Très charmant. I blush to admit that I own a few pieces.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I'm enjoying this story...

A LOT. It has a kid - that passes so well (like many of us would like). The kid has many tribulations, but they're being overcome. She has friends. And, she has a BIG issue she has to resolve, that SEEMS to be counter to her need to be herself. You point out the dangers of "self medication". Very nice. :-)

One point I'm curious about (And forget to ask my doc about, when I see her) is something I've seen regularly in TG fiction, that the use of hormones/androngen blockers causes the testicles to attrophy - and perhaps to the point where they're dangerous to leave in place. Is this actually the case? If so, I'd have expected to find note of it in the various protocols for HRT that I found published by groups (Canadian, Dutch, and one other that I'm forgetting now). If anyone reading actually KNOWS, I'd love to hear the answer.

Again, I'm finding the story a pleasure. Andrew's reaction is interesting, and I suspect will continue to be interesting... As is Sarah's reaction to her old "mate"...

Thanks,
Annette

False Dichotomy

Or is that orchidichotodectomy? ...oh, never mind.

My two cents worth:

Loss of, or lack of, male gonads does not mean one cannot be male. There are males who lack or lose said source of endocrine hormone through birth defect, disease, or misadventure. HRT is a two-way street, available to persons of all sexes, to go in whatever direction one wants.

We all know about Lance Armstrong and what he went through and what he's done. Using male HRT (at apparently legal limits) and vigorous training, he established himself as the strongest human on a bicycle in a touring race event, for an extended number of years.

We all know about, and I've met, FTM transsexuals, persons born female at birth with a male identity, who change their bodies using male hormones, among other measures.

A deficient, damaged, or unwanted body is no excuse for being forced into a gender that doesn't match your identity.

Ditto, losing a natural source of a hormone which can help build muscle doesn't mean you have to do without. Given our hero(ine)'s unique position, income, and outlook, finding a medical professional who can tailor a proper dosage of replacement hormones that can thread the needle between strength and presentation shouldn't be that hard. Should our protagonist actually lose both testes, dosage gets less tricky -- an accidental triggering of male puberty isn't going to happen. A modest dose of male hormone would only maintain the status quo. Nor, I dare say, would administering female hormones at the same time block the function of the exogenous testosterone, if one wanted to do that.

While a lot of bad stuff has been done in sports cheating, a lot of good has been done with modern endocrinology, and according to every sports federation, Mark would be entitled to replace whatever portion of his lost hormones he wanted to, as long as he didn't exceed a natural level. Plus, he could take all the female hormones he wanted to, as they're not considered "performance enhancing drugs."

Never seemed fair to me...

Puddintane's picture

>> Plus, he could take all the female hormones he wanted to, as they're not considered "performance enhancing drugs."

And why not? Oestrogen helps build slow-twitch musculature, ideal for marathon runners and weight-lifters.

http://www.bodybuildingweb.net/blog/anabolic-effects-of-estr...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Bend It Like Beckham

joannebarbarella's picture

I visualise Susan (has to be Susan now, right?) as Kiera Knightley in that delightful movie. I wonder if we can have a Bollywood ending? Sue...Sue....Stop laughing,
Joanne

P.S. I just caught up with Geoff's mention of "Gregory's Girl", a classic, not to be missed.

One thing

that might be a problem for Susan is football clubs obvious need to know when there player needs an operation, Could be difficult to explain without a few white lies being told !!

Good to see that Andrew decided that he wanted to talk with Susan, In the future she'll probally need all the true friends she can find, When is as inevitable, Other people find out the truth about Melchester's best player.

Hugs Kirri

Let's make it real here

As soon as I started hearing the BS from the doctor I stopped reading. Let's make it real here!. I probably won't finish reading this part, or the rest of the series.

Why don't you ask all the people who have been taking anti-androgens and then stopped. Their testicles did not disappear, and often sperm reduction returns.

Kimberley's comment

Robyn B's picture

I'm sorry that Kimberley has posted the comment she has, because as I read it I immeadiately felt antagonistic towards the comment and hence the writer.

In some respects Kimberley is right, and in others she is inaccurate. Yes, there are people who have been on anti-androgens and once stopping the medication function has returned. Depending on how much and for how long the meds were taken, will impact on how soon and how much function returns. Some patients will experience testicular shrinkage and others won't. It is a very individual response. Ultimately each taker will reach a point when the chances of any return of function will be negligible at best.

Susan's testicles have not disappeared. It seems that there is a degree of shrinkage that prompted the doctor's concern. Exploratory surgery does seem a bit extreme in an effort to find out how much damage might have occurred. There are quite a few non-invasive diagnostic tests that the writer could persue but has chosen not to go down that path.

As to atrophy. Our hospitals are full of people who have issues with atrophy. Somebody with a limb fracture, even though well fixed, will experience some degree of atrophy of the affected limb until physiotherapy and exercise promote a return of function. The length of time between the loss of function and the commencement of rehabilitation affects considerably the degree of difficulty and time taken to return to pre-injury fitness.

One of the joys (benefits) of being an author is the tool called artistic or poetic lisence. The author enjoys the priveledge of deciding, in this case, the degree of testicular atrophy and the likelihood of full function return with the stroke of a pen; hence the exploratory surgery thing.

I'm sorry Kimberley that you felt the way you did and indicated that you will not enjoy the rest of this terrific story as it unfolds. That will be your loss. If this was the case, then we would all stop reading the newspaper, books etc as we will inevitably come across something we will disagree with.

Roll on Chapter 13.

Robyn B
Sydney

Robyn B
Sydney

Reel Her In

As a confirmed conclusion jumper I have empathy for Kimberly's point.

However --

The author might be playing with common misconceptions thorugh a misinformed doctor, a non-understanding narrative character, or any number of other plot devices.

While I agree with some of the medical assertions Kimberly has made I also know of many exceptions. Depending upon the doctor's practice the diagnosis might well be in line with what the doctor has treated.

As Sue has suggested, readers might want to get to the end of the story before damning her for false presentations.

A note to Sue -- I can't even count the number of times I've had similar comments. Readers have gone through the roof over things in my stories that later play out quite differently to how they're presented in early chapters. Or, readers have jumped on me for having my "facts" wrong, when I intentionally had the character spout nonsense to show the reader how misinformed that character is.

I don't know how you create real conflict in a story without using a litle misdirection. I guess you have to shrug. Those who don't like red herrings should stay out of the small, oily fish aisle.

Reading Kimberly's comment affirms my satisfaction in having written my last TG story.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Football Girl 12

Thanks for all the kind comments, they are really appreciated.

Kimberly, regarding your comments:

As soon as I started hearing the BS from the doctor I stopped reading. Let's make it real here!.

I'm sorry that you are not happy, but it would have been nice if you read all of the chapter before commenting on it.

Hugs
Sue

This is a nice story, not a medical treatise....

Puddintane's picture

Should we write scathing letters to Mary Shelley (to be delivered, one supposes, in the Hereafter) complaining that her methods of reanimation of dead flesh could never work? Frankenstein is one of the most successful novels ever written, has been made into countless movies (some good, some bad), and is so well-known in the Western World that almost everyone knows instantly what the reference is if they merely hear the name.

Many of the best novels in the world have little to recommend them as scientific textbooks. So what? It's the story that counts, not whether the Nautilus in Jules Verne's novels Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870) and The Mysterious Island (1874) had a steering wheel or a tiller. It was named after a real submarine, Robert Fulton's Nautilus, and was quite different to its namesake. Is Verne to be castigated for warping the science?

If one wants technical accuracy, and meticulous attention to twiddly detail, one should study the articles written by railbuffs (known as "foamers*" by rail employees), or Civil War re-enacters, where one also finds arguments that extend into infinity, but one usually doesn't care.

This is one of the few stories that honestly looks at the tradeoffs faced by a youngster with real conflicts about his or her future path, with a realistic appraisal of the real costs of whichever future which may be chosen. It's well-written. Isn't that enough?

Cheers,

Puddin'
-----------
* Q: How do you know that a foamer is levelheaded?
A: He's drooling out of both sides of his mouth.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Because She's a Football Girl

terrynaut's picture

Hey hey. I love how this story is progressing. There are still plenty of options for Susan I think. This is fiction and I'd love it if she could play with the men.

The biggest thing I'm wondering about now is what will happen with Andrew. I think there's a relationship brewing. :)

Thanks very much for the story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

This is a really good

This is a really good chapter than most, because Susan has to deal with her real feelings about whether she wants to be a professional footballer with Melchester, or go all the way to becoming a physical girl, and play on the girls teams. Not to mention that she is dealing with her feelings and emotions about Andrew too, and What Dr. Connor told her. This is really too much for a young girl her age to really deal with alone. I know that JOsie, Jeff and Claire will be there for her, but I am hoping so will Andrew. Now she has to deal with seeing a therapist. Thank you for sharing this emotional chapter. Can't wait til teh next one.

Love & hugs,

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

I'm With Rita And Kristina-With-A-K

joannebarbarella's picture

Waltzing Matilda for ever. How they foisted "Girt-by-sea" on us I'll never know. And people reckon the Iranian elections were rigged,
Joanne

Yep,

boyfriend material here. The medical facts don't seem too bad, basically taking Susan where she already wants to go.