Venus Cursed! - Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version



Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 1

Sean was awoken by a knock on the door. He looked around himself to get his bearings. TV, couch, recliner, overflowing bookshelves, looks like I fell asleep on the couch again. he thought. He'd been doing that a lot lately after work. He'd needed it today.

Shaking his head to focus his thoughts, he stood up and walked over to the door. He knew who it was before looking, but looked through the peephole anyway. Sure enough, it was his best friend Michael and Michael's girlfriend Jill. He sighed, knowing he couldn't just blow them off, and opened the door.

"Hi guys." He said wearily.

"Nice to see you too, Sean!" Michael, or Mike as Sean usually called him, said with a laugh. He was a big guy, a couple inches over six feet tall. His clean shaven face was always open and honest.

"How are you doing Sean, you look tired?" Jill asked, greeting Sean with a hug. He was even taller than Mike, so the top of her head didn't even reach his chin. Her long auburn hair brushed against his hands as he hugged her back. Her hands were stained with paint, as usual.

Sean stepped aside so they could walk in and closed the door behind them. As usual, they seated themselves on his couch and he took the recliner facing it. "I am tired." He admitted. "I had this weird dream last night and I was even more tired when I woke up than I was before I went to bed." He blushed as he remembered part of the dream.

"Judging by that blush, I bet it was an interesting one! Tell us about it?" Jill asked mischievously.

Sean groaned, but knew he might as well tell them or Jill would bug him about it relentlessly. He described the dream briefly, wincing as he told them the embarrassing bit. "So now you're getting hit on by the gay guys even in your dreams?" Mike asked with a mix of incredulity and amusement. Sean shrugged.

"You know," Mike continued, "if I didn't know you were totally in love with Erica I'd wonder about you with all these guys hitting on you!" he said, laughing.

Sean frowned. "It's not my fault!" he growled.

"Relax Sean," Jill soothed, "you know he's just kidding you."

Sean shrugged, too tired to worry about it. He knew Mike didn't mean any harm, anyway. He never did.

"So what were you doing before we got here?" Mike asked.

"Sleeping, apparently." Sean answered.

"Apparently?" Mike repeated curiously.

Shrugging, Sean replied, "I remember walking in the door and sitting down. The next thing I know you guys are knocking on the door."

"I guess you were really out of it. You need to stop having dreams like that." Mike said with concern. He was always trying to look out for Sean, ever since high school.

"I bet that's not the only reason you're tired, though." Jill stated. "You've been down ever since Erica went back to law school. You really have nothing to worry about; you two are made for each other."

"Yeah, Sean, and she'll be back before you know it. You know how fast six months can fly by." Mike added helpfully.

"I guess." Sean replied, unconvinced. He had never understood why a beautiful, intelligent woman like Erica wanted to be with him. Just being friends with Mike and Jill was a miracle, as far as he was concerned.

Jill frowned, but decided to change the subject. "Did you have a good day at work?" she asked.

"Do I ever?" Sean grumbled.

"I still think you should ditch that job. It's not worth the hassle." Mike said.

Sean shrugged, "I need the money."

Jill sighed, they'd been through this conversation many times. Sean didn't feel he was qualified for anything better. He'd been taking college classes for a few years but still didn't have a degree because he couldn't decide on a major, or a career.

"You know, if you could just decide on a major your parents would cover all your expenses." Mike reminded him. Sean's parents had made that promise a year ago, trying to motivate him to make a choice. Needless to say, it didn't work.

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" Jill asked, trying again to change the subject.

"No. I'm not hungry. I think I'll just go to bed." Sean answered and stood up.

"Oh no you don't!" Mike exclaimed, rushing over to block his path. "I know you're tired and need more sleep, but you need to eat, too. Right Jill?"

Jill nodded emphatically. "I'm not letting you skip dinner, I know you probably skipped breakfast or lunch, if not both!" she said sternly.

Sean hung his head tiredly. She was right, as usual. "What did you have in mind?" he asked in a dull voice.

"Hey, don't sound like that. We're just trying to help you." Mike said worriedly. Sean had never been the chipper type, but he'd been increasingly down lately. This was the worst he'd seen yet. He hoped it was only the tiredness talking.

"How about we go for pepperoni pizza?" Jill asked. Sean never turned down pizza, especially pepperoni.

"Okay." Sean replied. He did seem a little more animated at that. He opened the door and held it for them and followed them out.

Sean's car was nearby, the apartment complex numbered the parking spots according to apartment number. Sometimes someone took his spot, but not often. The little red Honda Civic had been a gift from his parents when he moved out here to go to college. It was showing its age, but it still ran well. Sean unlocked it and they all climbed in.

The pizza place wasn't far, so they soon arrived. Jill ordered Sean's usual, pepperoni with extra cheese and sauce. Fortunately her and Mike liked it, too.

After getting their salads they took seats in a booth and started eating. Sean only got a small salad and picked at it unenthusiastically. "Come on Sean, eat up! You'll be even worse off tomorrow if you don't eat well." Jill admonished. Sean grumbled, but ate.

"So what classes are you taking this semester Sean?" Mike asked when Sean finished his salad.

"Just Astronomy and Archery." He answered with a shrug.

Mike laughed, "That's an interesting mix. How are you liking Archery?"

"It's fun." He said with a small smile.

Just then the pizza arrived and they dug in. Jill only had a couple of slices. "How about Astronomy?" she asked when she finished eating.

"It's hard, but really interesting." He replied.

The pizza didn't last long, Mike and Sean were both good eaters, at least when it came to pizza. They talked for a while, and Sean seemed to be a little more cheerful by the time they left.

Mike and Jill said goodbye to Sean at his door and walked over to their apartment two buildings over "What do you think, Mike?" Jill asked as they walked arm in arm.

"I'm worried, Jill. Sean's always been the quiet, reserved type, but he's never been this bad. I just hope getting a good night's sleep will help." He answered.

"I wish Erica could come back sooner, she can always cheer him up." Jill replied. Mike nodded.


 
The first thing Sean did when he got back in his apartment was load up his computer. He was feeling a need to talk to Erica. They kept in touch by IM every night.

SeanDreamer has logged on
Erica378 has logged on
<SeanDreamer>: Hi Erica, how was your day?
<Erica378>: Hi Sean, it was grueling as always. How about you?
<SeanDreamer>: The same. Mike and Jill just left, we went out for pizza.
<Erica378>: I'm glad you've got them to keep you company. I miss you.
<SeanDreamer>: Yeah, they're great. I miss you more!
<Erica378>: How's that job of yours?
<SeanDreamer>: Ugh, horrible! I had to spend an hour trying to explain to one guy why his computer wouldn't work if he didn't plug it in!
<Erica378>: LOL! I know you hate that job, but you come up with some funny stories because of it!
<SeanDreamer>: Yeah, like that guy who thought he could 'boot up' his computer by propping it up on his boots! ;)
<Erica378>: Yeah, that was hilarious! :)
<SeanDreamer>: I had the weirdest dream last night. I woke up even more tired than when I went to sleep.
<Erica378>: Really? Maybe you'd better get to bed, then. I don't want you wearing yourself out. That's my job! ;)
<SeanDreamer>: LOL! Yeah, I am pretty tired. Talk to you tomorrow?
<Erica378>: Of course! Sleep well. I love you!
<SeanDreamer>: I love you more!
Erica378 has logged off
SeanDreamer has logged off

Sean yawned as he shut down his computer. After he changed and brushed his teeth he climbed into bed. Something fell out of his blankets when he did, but he didn't notice it. It was a large white feather. It drifted slowly down as feathers do and slid under Sean's bed.


 To Be Continued…
 

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting Start

Has just enough to make you want more.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks Stan!

Thanks, and do I ever have more! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Nice scene setting Saless...

Nice scene setting Saless... Makes me want to read more.

Kirri

Thanks Kirri!

How convenient, I have much more coming! ;) I've already written the next seven chapters!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

This story is the kind of a slow start

But it picks up pace and becomes even more excellent after a while! So don't disregard it.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Listen to him, he's a smart

Listen to him, he's a smart one! ;)

Thanks Faraway!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America