Venus Cursed! - Chapter 72

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 72

Sarah snorted, "I've already told you I don't like guys! I looked up to him, like a big brother, right from the start. But I never had those kinds of feelings for him!"

"Sorry. Go on." Erica said.

"Well, Mike watched out for me at school after that, and we walked home together every day. He couldn't always stop them from talking about me, but sometimes he could. And nobody laid a hand on me when he was around. I only got into one fight at school after I met Mike, and they were careful to come after me at a time when Mike wasn't there. Anyway, before long we were hanging out at his or my house almost every day. When Dad found out he was watching out for me, he stopped hitting me where Mike might see it. And then we had the same PE class one year, so he stopped completely. By then I'd gotten really good at hiding what I was doing, so he never saw me dressed up again." Sarah said.

"Did he think you'd stopped?" Erica asked.

"I don't know. Maybe. He probably wanted to believe that. It was relatively easy to hide at that point, because I'd been taking stuff from the clothes my Mom gave to Good Will for a while. So I didn't have to use her clothes, I had my own. But then Mom found me…" Sarah trailed off, shuddering.

"Do you want to take a break?" Erica asked worriedly while stroking Sarah's hair.

Sarah didn't respond for a few minutes, but finally said, "No, I'll finish." She took a deep breath and then continued, "Like I said, Mom always got home from work late, so I never worried about her catching me. So of course she came home early one day because she wasn't feeling well. I was admiring myself in one of my Mom's old dresses she'd given away months before when she walked in on me. The door was closed, of course, but I didn't hear her open it. When I turned and saw her there I froze, and so did she. Then she started screaming at me…"

Sarah took a few minutes to calm herself before continuing. "She called me all sorts of names, and backed me against the wall. Then she lifted me up by the throat like you saw. And then she threatened to have Dad rape me if I ever wore women's clothes again…" She trailed off again, fresh tears streaming down her face.

Erica held her tighter and said, "I understand a little better now. You believed her because your Dad had already been beating you for years, right?"

Sarah nodded, "Yeah. It didn't seem like that big a stretch. I was sure he would do what she said and when she asked if I had any other clothes hidden away I handed them all over. She was mad all over again at how many female clothes I had. I was sure she was going to hit me, or choke me again. But she just took all of it away and never spoke of it again. She didn't even look at me differently. It was like she'd forgotten the whole thing."

Erica just held her for a while without saying anything. She felt Sarah getting scared, so she said, "Did you still want to wear women's clothes after that?"

"Every day." Sarah said softly.

"Why didn't you? Once you were on your own it would have been safe enough." Erica asked.

"I was too scared. I didn't have any clothes and I was too afraid to buy any. Besides, I was tired of being a freak. I so wanted to be normal…" Sarah said sadly.

"Shhh! Remember, you're not a freak! I understand better why you have so much trouble with that part, but it's not true!" Erica said firmly. She paused before adding, "So, you always felt like a girl, then?"

Sarah nodded slightly. "Yes." she whispered.

"So this is like a dream come true for you. You've just been fighting it because of your parents, and because of me?" Erica asked.

"Yes," she said even more softly, "I'm sorry."

"Hush. There's nothing to be sorry about." Erica replied and kissed the top of Sarah's head.

"But, I lied to you!" Sarah protested, looking up at Erica.

Erica smiled crookedly and said, "When? When you said you wanted to change back? I understand why you did that. It's okay."

Sarah looked back down and said, "No, I mean I lied about being a guy! You never would have wanted anything to do with me if you'd known what I am."

Erica looked thoughtfully down at Sarah. "You're probably right, we probably never would have been more than friends. And that would have been the greatest loss of my life." she said sadly.

Sarah looked back up at Erica, "Really?" she asked.

"Of course silly!" Erica replied, "I love you!"

"But, I don't really want to change back. Ever." Sarah said.

Erica smiled and said, "I'll tell you a secret! I think I actually like you better this way!"

Sarah's eyes widened in amazement. "Really?! I thought you were as straight as they come!"

Laughing, Erica said, "I thought so too! I guess I was wrong, huh? Don't worry; you staying as you are isn't going to hurt our relationship one bit! In fact, I'll help you get your name legally changed, if you want."

"Wow! Really?" Sarah asked.

"Yes, really! I think I'd like you to keep your legal gender the way it is for a while longer though." Erica replied.

"Why?" Sarah asked with a frown.

"Because I want to marry you!" Erica replied.

Sarah would have fallen off of Erica's lap if she hadn't been holding on to her. "W-what?!" she exclaimed.

"You heard me. I love you Sarah Kinsley, and I want to marry you. If you'll have me." Erica replied softly.

"I-I love you, too!" Sarah said, choking up. "I'd like nothing better than to marry you!" Sarah threw her arms around Erica's neck and gazed lovingly into her eyes. Her barriers came crashing down and all the love she felt for Erica poured through their bond. Erica's eyes widened and she gasped in shock, but soon her love was flooding through the bond, as well. They could both feel their bond strengthening in that moment.

"Wow! That was…amazing!" Sarah said breathlessly.

"You're telling me!" Erica agreed in amazement.

"So, did you just propose to me?" Sarah asked.

"Yes. Did you just say yes?" Erica replied hopefully.

Sarah smiled broadly, "Of course!"

Erica's answering smile was just as wide. "Good! Then I have something for you, if you'll let me up." Sarah reluctantly got up off of Erica's lap. Erica disappeared into Sarah's bedroom and returned a moment later with her hand behind her back. She sat back down and let Sarah sit on her lap again. "Let me see your hand." she said.

Sarah held her hand out and Erica slipped a beautiful gold ring on it. It was etched with Celtic designs and had one large diamond in the center of the design. "Where did you get this?!" Sarah gasped.

Erica grinned sheepishly and said, "I palmed it out of that pile of treasure in the tomb. You like it?"

"I love it!" Sarah gushed, "But I don't have a ring for you!"

Erica held up a ring box with a grin, "It just so happens they were a matched pair!" Sarah opened the box to find an identical ring and slipped it on Erica's finger.

"I love you so much!" Sarah exclaimed and kissed Erica passionately. By the time they separated they were both flushed and gasping for air.

"I just remembered," Erica said after they'd both taken a few moments to compose themselves, "that Mike was going to start teaching us this morning. I'm surprised they haven't been here looking for us yet."

Sarah got a faraway look in her eyes for a moment and she said, "I think they're here."

"Here? In the apartment?" Erica asked in confusion.

Sarah shook her head, "No, just outside, I think."

Erica looked at Sarah strangely and then shrugged. "I guess we should let them in, then." she said. She walked over to the door and opened it, and there were Mike and Jill. "Want to come in?" she asked.

Mike and Jill filed in, with Vash becoming visible on Jill's shoulder as soon as the door closed. "Is Sarah okay?" Jill asked. "Her emotions have been all over the map this morning."

Erica felt another surge of love from Sarah as she admired her engagement ring. "Yeah, I think she's okay." she said.


 
To Be Continued…

up
106 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwwwwh!

Isn't that sweet! All's well that ends well. :-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Sush

No taking about ending. Don't give her the wrong idea.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

The Bond Of Love

Is the strongest Magic that there is. Even with Erica being immune to ALL forms of Magic, Soul Magic trumps all other. But are those rings Magical? If so, Erica is safe, but Sarah could be Blessed, or Cursed double if they are linked. Maybe it can gie Sarah Leprachaun Powers, and through the Soul link, Erica.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That's an interesting

That's an interesting proposition, giving Erica access to magical powers through the link... ;)

Saless

P.S. What would Leprachaun powers be?
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Good question!

Wikipedia doesn't mention any specific Leprachaun powers, but they are apparently descended from "an evil spirit" and a "degenerate fairy". Despite this, and their reputation for creating mischief, they're "not wholly good or wholly evil". They are about 3 foot (90cm) high, are cobblers (shoemakers) by trade, and (before the 20th century stereotype emerged) wore red coats with seven rows of seven buttons. Their wealth comes from appropriating "treasure chests, buried of old in war-time".

So not much similarity to our gang, unless you count retrieving items from other worlds as an analogy of the treasure chests...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Leprechaun Magic?

I think it has something to do with putting marshmallows in breakfast cereal.

Eric

[Note to non-North Americans: wiki Lucky Charms (cereal).]

Ah tis luvverly

kristina l s's picture

Of course we knew that was coming...well hoped anyway, nice one. This is a fun tale and I'm up to date at last. Must admit the side stories bug me a little when they could be easily part of the main, but hey... I'll cope. Keep going Saless.

Kristina

Thanks Kristina!

Thanks Kristina! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ruh Roh

NoraAdrienne's picture

Erica swiped the rings from a treasure pile. Do we know if they are magical at all? Tune in next time.... Same Bat Time

Same Bat Channel to find out what heppens

Should that be Same Venus

Should that be Same Venus Time, Same Venus Channel? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Gooey Sweet...

I think my blood sugar just went up into the 300s with this one. :-)

Great chapter, Saless! I love it when people manage to overcome their fear and really communicate.

The rings are a great touch, too. They sound like a matched set created for just such an occasion -- maybe like the ones that Chou Lee and Molly have.

Well... now that this crisis is over, it's time to get Tiffany on board. Then, they can get on with the business of training, deciding what to do with Sarah's parents, sowing confusion with Secret Squirrel, and figuring out how to become filthy rich with all that loot that they have.

Thanks Ray!

Thanks Ray!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Proposal

I hope you are better at getting people married off than someone else I know.

Well if you're referring to

Well if you're referring to who I think you are, I've got lots of room to work with! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Now that was

Sooo nice...I'm just feeling all gooey inside and At last we will get to see the real Sarah, Don't you just love it when nice things happen to nice people!!....And does this mean now that Sarah is accepting of who she is, That she will be able to change sex at will?

Kirri

I Was Expecting...

...Sarah to change back to Sean when Erica proposed. (Either in fulfillment of the wizard's statement that Sarah would be able to freely change between the two once she accepted her situation, or because Venus's curse might turn out to be that Sean/Sarah would never match her self-image.)

Anyway, it's nice to be rid of the cliffhangers for the moment. But we seem to have lost the point of the story, at least until we discover a Venus Curse that's more than a minor inconvenience. (It'll be good to find out why everything's been happening, but at this point, it'd be more in the nature of answering our questions than because of any major need to know on the part of the characters.)

There's not even much point to the RPG-type adventures they've been doing for fun and/or to build their powers, since they already seem to have more weaponry, armor and magic artifacts than they can use. (And there's little motivation there to keep the story flowing.) They certainly seem to have enough to overpower or elude any action against them by the authorities.

We've been told by Vash that the insertion of magic into our world isn't strong enough yet to cause our heroes trouble from other potential magicians here on Earth, though (as we've seen in Watchers 2) scattered events have occurred -- psychics guessing right, etc. We could, I suppose, see the Powers of Evil successfully invited here by the usually-harmless folks who've been unsuccessfully drawing pentagrams and reciting incantations in bad Latin for centuries; personally, I'd rather we didn't.

On a more general level, I suppose there's a possibility that fictional characters with magic or deific powers or superior technology could invade our world, either on their own or (more likely) through one of Sarah's portals, and try to take it over. The gods of Olympus seemed like prime candidates, but I got the impression from Vash's comment comparing Sarah to the gods that they wouldn't have the powers over this world that they had there. (I could be wrong on that, of course.) But that would change the story from one where our heroes had the initiative into one where they're reacting defensively, not an attractive prospect.

I guess we'll see what our author has in mind.

Eric

Life is what happens when you're making other plans

(I believe that that is from a song)

The original reason for seeing Venus was for Sean to learn how to not hurt himself/others with his portal powers.

When Sean was 'cursed' (it turned out to be a blessing,) the impetus for all the exploration was to figure out how to change back.

Just before the whole Sean/Sarah problem was resolved, we find that the world is getting more dangerous, and that they need to train themselves and take other precautions.

So, while this isn't a simple children's story with a single point of conflict that is kept from beginning to end, it definitely continues to have direction.

Like in real life, the old goals are achieved or discarded, and new ones crop up. Meanwhile, the characters learn and grow. Something that was a major driver in the past is now a comfortable part of the lives of the characters -- again, like real life.

I expect that Sarah will be able to switch back and forth soon. I also suspect that it will be quite accidental, since she really isn't interested in being Sean again. Also, since there were so many events that have firmly established her as Sarah, she has a good excuse (not that she needs one) to stay Sarah.

Will we have a two bride wedding, or will Sean be decked out in a tuxedo? Maybe there will be two weddings -- one for relatives that don't understand (and don't know about magic,) and another for the people who really matter.

Then, there's the honeymoon. I'm sure that both Sean and Sarah will have some fun there.

Then, later in life, when they want kids, Sean will be needed briefly. (But what if Sarah wants to get pregnant? Will Erica be able to use her spirit powers the way the folks do on POWYHL?)

I'm greatly enjoying the story, and I'm looking forward to them blowing through more goals and moving on to the next.

Thanks Ray! And well said,

Thanks Ray! And well said, I couldn't have said it better myself. There's still a lot of stuff left to resolve, and new things will crop up along the way. Besides, Ang manages to keep us all on our toes even when everything seems resolved (except for the wedding, but that's kind of a forgone conclusion, even if it is delayed a lot). Not that I'm up to her level, but I can aspire, right? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America