Venus Cursed! - Chapter 78

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 78

"So why did you call them to you?" Mike asked suspiciously, still shielding the others from her.

"I didn't! Sometimes when I'm angry or scared they just appear, I don't have any control over it!" Tiffany hastily replied.

She's telling the truth. They're designed to react to her emotions as much as her thoughts. It allows for a shorter reaction time in a crisis. It's probably just as well she doesn't have a Shadow Sword, as it does the same thing. Vash said.

"Shadow Sword? That wouldn't be a curved sword that changes to a flat black when I touch it, would it?" Tiffany asked.

Yes, it would. You must not have used it in battle yet. If you had, it would come to your hand instead of the knives when you're scared, as it is more useful for defense. What other Shadowkin artifacts did you find? Vash replied.

"Well, there's the ring, this amulet," Tiffany began, pulling a black diamond amulet out of her shirt, "the sword, four knives, bracers," she pulled her sleeves up to reveal them, "and a cloak."

Vash just stared at her for a moment before saying, That's just about every kind of Shadowkin artifact that I've ever heard of! Besides coming to your hand when needed, the Shadow Sword also guides your hand and drains the energy from your enemy when you strike them. That energy is transferred into you. You already know what the Shadow Blades do. The Knock Ring can open any lock, even a magical one. It also allows you to pass through any kind of magical barrier or shield. The bracers will protect you from physical harm. The pendant amplifies your abilities and accelerates their growth. The cloak masks any sounds that you make and also prevents you from leaving tracks. All of these objects are undetectable by most magical means.

"I guessed that last part. When Sarah was practicing that detect magic spell nothing I had glowed except for a ring I retrieved from the second wizard." Tiffany said.

Where is that ring? Vash asked.

"It's back in my apartment with the rest of my stuff." Tiffany said.

I should take a look at it before you try to use it. Vash said.

"Wait a minute, you said your ring glowed, right?" Jill said. Tiffany nodded. "But none of us saw it glow besides Sarah!"

It's part of being a Shadowkin. They can sense certain kinds of magic, like detection spells. In this case it allows her to experience the detect magic spell the same way that Sarah does. Vash explained.

Erica was getting impatient with all the magic talk, as she was more concerned with how Tiffany dealt with John. "So what happened after you found John?" she asked.

"I was angry and scared and wanted to stop him, and suddenly there was one of the throwing knives in my hand. I didn't even think about the fact I didn't have any of them with me at the time, I just threw it at him. Amazingly, it hit him right in the middle of his back. He staggered and tried to grab the knife. I felt this weird connection to it, and I pulled on that and the knife reappeared in my hand. Then he passed out on top of Sarah. I was just about to try and drag him off when Mike arrived in wolf form, so I ran away." Tiffany replied.

"Why did you run away?" Mike asked, surprised that he hadn't seen or smelled her.

Tiffany shrugged, "I was scared. I was pretty sure I'd just killed someone, after all. And I did." She said the last in a small voice, her eyes glued to the floor.

"Oh Tiffany, I'm sorry!" Sarah cried, rushing around the table to hug her startled friend.

"You're sorry? For what?!" Tiffany exclaimed.

"That's twice now you've had to kill someone to protect me! That must be horrible for you!" Sarah said with tears running down her face.

Tiffany's face was similarly wet as she asked, "You don't hate me?"

Sarah pulled far enough away to say, "Of course not!" before hugging her again. They cried on each other's shoulders for a few minutes before they separated.

"Why?" Tiffany finally said when she found her voice.

"Why what?" Sarah asked.

"Why don't you hate me?" Tiffany replied.

"Because you're my friend. Because my change really was impossible by normal means, so your curiosity was understandable. Because you saved me from John. Lots of reasons." Sarah replied.

"Not the least of which being that she doesn't know how to hate anybody!" Erica said with a smile for her fiancé. Sarah blushed and shrugged.

Now we need to talk about the man who's threatening Tiffany. How are we going to deal with him? Vash said.

Mike shrugged, "We don't know much about him, yet. We don't even know if he's a policeman, private investigator, or something else. I think we'd have to find that out before we could really make any plans."

They all looked at Tiffany at that, but she shook her head, "No, that won't work. He knows about me, and already spotted me at least once. He'd know right away if I tried to spy on him."

"That leaves Vash and Mike, then." Jill said.

"Mike? I understand why Vash could spy on him without getting caught, but why Mike?" Erica asked.

Jill glanced at Mike and he transformed into a snake. Then a mouse, squirrel, and finally back to human. "He picked up some smaller forms." Jill said unnecessarily.

I think it will have to be me, as I can delve into his mind as well as observing his actions. Vash said.

"So what do the rest of us do?" Sarah wondered.

"I don't think there's much we can do until we know more. We don't even have his name yet. And we have more important business to deal with today, anyway." Jill replied.

"Oh, that." Sarah said.

"Yes, that! We're not going to forget about that, you need to confront your parents!" Erica said.

"What about me?" Tiffany asked hesitantly.

Jill had retrieved a clean fork and was fishing the bacon out of the grease when she said, "Take a seat and eat breakfast with us!"

Tiffany glanced at the four sided table with its four chairs and wondered where she thought she was going to sit! "Sarah, your seat's right here!" Erica called out from one chair, pointing at her lap. "There, now there's room for everyone!" she said happily once Sarah had settled into her lap. Tiffany smiled at her and took a seat. Vash jumped over to her lap, as Sarah's shoulder was becoming a more awkward perch to reach the table from.

Mike helped Jill carry everything over to the table and they started eating. Tiffany was overwhelmed by how easily they were all accepting her presence there. Mike made sure she had plenty to eat, since Vash was swiping his own meal off of her plate. She just smiled down at him, as he looked so cute doing that!

They ate in silence, all thinking about their various problems. Sarah was getting quiet as she thought about her upcoming confrontation with her parents, and Erica was feeding them both.

Tiffany insisted on helping with the dishes after breakfast. She and Mike washed the dishes while the others tried to keep Sarah's spirits up. "I'm going to have to pretend that I'm still following you guys when you go to see Sarah's parents, aren't I?" Tiffany said as they worked.

"We won't have time to get the information we need and figure out how to deal with him before we have to leave, so I guess so. Do you think he'll follow us to Sarah's parents' place?" Mike said.

Tiffany shrugged, "I don't know. I've only talked to him once. If he does I won't be able to join you in the house without hiding myself."

"That might be for the best, anyway. They know all of us, but they don't know you. You and Vash can stay hidden unless you're needed. It's always nice to have backup." Mike said.

Jill popped her head in and said, "I'm going to go let Vash out so he can spy on our spy. I'll go over to the apartment and bring something back so he doesn't know why I'm really opening the door." Mike nodded and she left.

"Do you really think we can convince him to leave Sarah alone?" Tiffany asked as they were putting the last dishes away.

"We'll find a way." Mike replied confidently. He thought it was interesting that Tiffany seemed more concerned for Sarah than for herself. He considered asking her about it, but decided they had enough on their plate at the moment!


 
To Be Continued…

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My problem with things like

My problem with things like the knock ring "Open any lock, pass through any barrier" in a story like this is that said artifacts were created to work within the world that they were forged. The makers never encounter things like technology based force shields or alien magics of other worlds that may or may not be compatible with the range of powers present within.

Technology Shields are also vastly different even from one another. Gravitational Repulsers, Temporal Walls (a thin sheet of stopped time), Phased, Unphased, Kinetic Depleters, etc...

Technologically speaking, there are ways of detecting people besides light or sound, which seems to be what shadowkin use to prevent detection. If she is physically there, then in futuristic settings in secure areas like starships and military bases there could be things like atmospheric displacement detectors. They don't have to detect her. They just have to detect that the atmosphere is being disturbed in a manner that suggests movement.

As for locks...
There are solid doors with no locks and which never "open". An example would be a nanowall. Basically a solid wall of nanites that allow only authorized persons to pass through it. If the technology does not specifically see you and something authorized, it is prettymuch solid metal. The magical equivalent would be a mages passwall. Technically, the wall is completely solid. It takes an existing magical effect to make it passable and that effect does not trigger without a pre-existing condition.

That's what makes it

That's what makes it interesting having these magical artifacts, figuring out how they'll interact with different kinds of technology and even magic that the makers couldn't have anticipated! In other words, the ring may not work on everything like it was designed to, because it will be encountering things beyond it's 'programming'. So far it's only dealt with an ordinary mechanical lock, no different than a lock in that world. What happens when it encounters something truly different will be interesting to see... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Okay, I'm making

An another SWAG: That dungeon was clearly created as a tomb/catacombs, and a wizard settled in there and populated it with undead to remain undisturbed. Heh, too bad he died so quickly, but give him his due - he was a great planner! Obviously, the treasure hoard was there before he came, and perhaps he contributed to it. So, depending on how the events turned out, he either:
1)managed to kill off more than a few Shadowkin attempting to get him and the treasure, and having the most trouble with the knives-wielder (very much possible 1-hit KO) and the amulet-wielder (how do we find this one?)
2)stumbled upon a treasure hoard accumulated by a very resourseful Shadowkin who actually managed to collect the entire nine yards of Shadowkin-attuned artifacts in the past. Seeing as those were in the hoard, it is more than likely that the Shadowkin in question died before the wizard was even born, and the sarcophagus may have belonged to him...

Also, it is indeed weird that Tiffany is like a doting mommy to Sarah. I wonder what would Melanie say?

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I rather like keeping that

I rather like keeping that tomb as an open question (not that I mind you coming up with ideas, quite the contrary!). Speculation is fun, all the more so when anybody or everybody can be right! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Complicated

This has been a very complicated story but I am really enjoying it. Looks like magic is increasing in our world. I wish it were really true.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Actually, it is true.

According to Clarke, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. After all, are we not scrying this story with our magic windows?

We can now fly, travel faster than the fastest horse, light our houses without flames, cook our meals in magical ovens that heat only the food (and not the inside of the oven,) store our food in magic iceless ice boxes, talk to each other around the world without shouting, and carry around musicians inside little magic boxes.

That kind of magic is cool,

That kind of magic is cool, too, but it develops so slowly! It's going to take far too long to fully and completely transform a biological male to a biological female, and vice versa. That's one of the reasons why I like the mystical kind of magic so much, quick fix! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Developing magic

Why are you so sure that the other kind of magic didn't take just as long to develop? Just because the stories don't tell about centuries of development and millions of failed spells before magic became what it is today? Nobody wants to read about all those poor transsexuals that got accidentally transformed into toads, ginkgo trees, or rag dolls (of the desired biological sex) before SRM became reliable ...

--- Martin

Well, yeah, in a world

Well, yeah, in a world that's still developing magic, that's true. That's why you grab Sarah and go visit a world that's already got it perfected! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

So do I! It's a bit of wish

So do I! It's a bit of wish fulfillment on my part, I guess, doing that. And having it affect multiple (i.e. infinite) universes makes for endless story possibilities! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Great chapter!

I love it when things come together. I'm also fond of close-knit teams that genuinely care for each other. Teams that simply work together can be effective, but there is an added dimension of interdependence when the members love each other.

It's really hard to imagine Vash in his previous form. He seems to really relish being the cute living plushie that he has become. I like the way he welcomed Tiffany by settling in her lap and stealing her food.

Actually, the way that everyone welcomed Tiffany is great.

As one of my characters pointed out in one of my earlier stories, telepathy makes for closer relationships and easier trust because you can directly see/feel how your loved ones genuinely feel about you.

But you've strung us along for long enough. When are they going to confront Sarah's parents? I'm anxious to see how they actually do it. After all, Sarah's parents are going to see Sean's closest friends and some strange girl that they have never seen before -- unless Sarah quickly makes use of the fact that she has accepted herself and tries changing to Sean temporarily.

Also, if her parents actually get to meet Sarah (not Sean,) they are going to know that something is up. There is no medical technology that can explain the transformation.

Lots of people ...

have accepted Sean's change into Sarah without question, with a few exceptions like Tiffany. Why should her parents be different?

By the way, are you sure she can change to Sean now?

"All she has to do is accept her femininity and she can change back any time she wants."

If she never wants to change back, that statement will become true even if she still cannot do it.

--- Martin

It's a nice ambiguous

It's a nice ambiguous statement, that way, isn't it? Just the sort of thing the Magician of Information would say, I think. ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

He he, I've just got a great

He he, I've just got a great idea for how that's going to go! Thanks Ray! This is one of the things I love about doing a daily story, constant input! I often get ideas from reader comments. I suspect Angharad does to, judging from some of the things which have shown up in one chapter right after being discussed by the readers on the previous. It's like having a whole room full of muses! ;)

Saless

P.S. I love your description of Vash!
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Watching the Watcher

Brilliant idea!

Marvin spies on the gang.
Vash spies on Marvin.
Tiffany uses Vash's intelligence to feed Marvin information he probably already knows.

All sides are happy - as long as the gang keep their magic use out of Marvin's gaze...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Hey, stop stealing my

Hey, stop stealing my titles! Well, it's not exactly the same, but still... Wait, I'm giving something away here, aren't I? *whistling innocently* Nothing to see here folks... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Not Sure How Surprising...

...it is that Tiffany's more concerned about Sarah than about herself. When it comes to self-protection, with all her artifacts, Tiffany certainly seems to have every possibility covered, with available solutions ranging from disappearance for as long as necessary to multiple assassinations. And she can do almost all of it without being seen or recognized.

But Tiffany can't guarantee that she'll always be in a position to help Sarah, especially if Tiffany decides to keep her job. Sarah can protect herself against anything on Earth that comes her way -- but only if she sees it coming and isn't too emotionally overwrought to fight back, and she can't necessarily defend herself effectively without blowing her cover.

Eric

Ah, but that's the practical

Ah, but that's the practical side of it. What about the emotional? ;)

Yeah, that's the biggest weakness for someone like Sarah. You have to see it coming to blast it, but then everyone knows you can blast it...

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Mental powers

If she develops her mental powers enough, she'll be a whole lot better at detecting the malefactors before they strike. With projective empathy, she can then sap their confidence or give them a big dose of apathy.

The bad guy walks away, and nobody is the wiser. :-)

That was

a NICE episode....But is this the lull before the storm?. Can't wait for the next chapter to find out!

Kirri

Would I do that? *Said with

Would I do that? *Said with an innocent, puppy-dog eyes expression* Ouch, not so loud with the resounding YES, okay? ;)

Thanks Kirri!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Magical Artifacts

Are simply alien technology using far different sciences, such as crystal, psuionic, and spirit technology. After all, in Star Trek, the Greek -Roman gods were aliens. And what about mutants from Marvel comics? Some have god like powers
s

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A good point, any kind

A good point, any kind magical abilities or artifacts could be viewed simply as a different type of technology. Magic isn't usually looked at that way, but I do remember one book where a programmer was summoned to a magical world and used his knowledge of programming languages to make a magic programming language that allowed him to do things the locals considered nearly miraculous.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America