Venus Cursed! - Chapter 75

Printer-friendly version
Venus_Cursed_4.jpg
by Saless
Chapter 75

"That would give us more options. Did you have a specific movie in mind?" Erica said.

Jill shook her head, "No. I just thought more options would be nice. We can also look at stories online, and even comics and web comics might be usable."

"If we're going to expand that much we might as well include games, as well." Sarah said.

"Games?! How would games be useful?" Mike asked.

"Lots of games have complete stories to them. I can think of one offhand that could be useful." Sarah replied.

"Oh? What game is that?" Erica asked curiously.

Sarah smiled at Erica and said, "Oni. It's an old favorite of mine. I'm not sure how well it would work for Mike, but I'm sure it would work for you."

"Why wouldn't it work for me?" Mike asked.

"Because what I thought we could get from there is a chrysalis. It makes permanent physical changes to your body. Your shifting would probably kill it or something. I'm not sure how well it would mix with magic or psionics, but Erica's immune to both, so it's a perfect match for her." Sarah explained.

"What kind of physical changes are we talking about?" Jill asked worriedly.

"The way one scientist describes it in the game is that it changes you into a stronger more resilient version of yourself. Someone with a fully evolved chrysalis would heal fast, be tougher and stronger than normal, and be able to fight off pretty much any poison or disease. Those are pretty much all things that we can get with magical items, but Erica can't." Sarah said.

"Would it change her appearance?" Mike asked.

Sarah frowned at that, "I'm not sure. The main character in the game doesn't change, but some of the bad guys do. I don't think Erica would, since she's not like them, but I don't know for sure. Maybe it's not such a good idea, after all."

"Let's not give up on this too quickly, it sounds really promising!" Erica said. "I don't suppose this game has a written story I can read by any chance?"

"No," Sarah replied, "but I could finish the game in a few hours and you could see the story that way."

"A few hours?! How short is this game?!" Mike exclaimed.

Sarah shrugged, "It's not that short, but I know the game really well. I've played it all the way through several times, so I can finish it pretty quickly."

"I don't know about this, if it changes Erica too much she wouldn't be able to live a normal life anymore." Jill said.

"Let's watch Sarah play through it, at least! I think this has potential!" Erica said. Jill sighed but nodded. Sarah opened a portal and they all walked through to Sarah's apartment. While she booted up her computer the others started looking through Sarah's movie collection.

"Okay, I'm ready to get started!" Sarah called out. Mike retrieved some chairs from the kitchen and they all sat down around Sarah's computer to watch. Mike was surprised to see that watching the game was almost like watching a movie. Sarah started out a little rough, but soon got into the swing of things and was dispatching bad guys with swift efficiency. He noted in passing that there were a lot of powerful weapons in the game that could also be useful, along with a force field!

It was getting late by the time Sarah finished, but she did indeed finish the game in only four and a half hours. "So, what do you guys think?" Sarah asked as she massaged her hands. Erica grabbed her hand and started massaging it for her, which earned her a big smile from Sarah.

"I'm still not sure about it." Jill said. "At least one of the characters in the game doesn't look too normal after getting that chrysalis."

"I'm not sure about the chrysalis, but I saw other things that could be handy to have." Mike said.

"Only one character really changed visibly, unless you want to count the alternative ending Sarah mentioned. And that only adds one character with noticeable changes. The rest looked normal enough." Erica said.

I agree with Mike that there are other reasons to go there. That force field, while temporary, could be very useful. And the weapons might be useful, too. And if Erica doesn't get a chrysalis, those hypos they use for healing wounds would be helpful for Erica, since the healing water doesn't work on her. As for the chrysalis itself, that decision rests with Erica. Vash said.

All eyes turned to Erica. "What do you think Erica? It's kind of a one-way proposition." Sarah said.

Erica thought about it for a few moments. "I want to do it!" she declared suddenly.

"Are you sure? What if you change?" Jill asked.

"I want to try it. It would allow me to protect Sarah better, and solve a lot of the problems my magical immunity causes. I think it's worth it." Erica replied.

Why don't we talk about this again tomorrow. If you still want to go, we can talk about it then. It's too late to be making any plans tonight. Vash suggested.

"Works for me." Erica said. The others agreed and Sarah opened a portal for Mike and Jill to go back to their apartment. After saying goodnight they left.

"So you really want to try this?" Sarah asked after she'd closed the portal.

Erica nodded enthusiastically, "Yeah, I really do! It's like that chrysalis was made for me! My only concern is if I really do change. Visibly, I mean."

"I guess it's my turn, then, to say that I love who you are, not how you look. So you don't have to worry about that, okay?" Sarah said.

Erica hugged Sarah and said, "Thanks! I was a little worried about that. Now I'm sure this is the right way to go!"

"You do know that I wasn't trying to convince you, right? I mean, I don't want you to think I was pushing you in this direction." Sarah said.

"Don't worry, Sarah, I know! This is my decision, and mine only." Erica replied.

"I'm halfway tempted to try it myself." Sarah said softly.

"Why only halfway?" Erica asked.

"I'm not sure how it would interact with my magical abilities. Would it cause me to lose the ability to open portals? Or would my magic interfere with it, causing it to mutate me in strange and horrible ways?" Sarah replied with a shudder.

"I see what you mean. I think maybe you'd better leave this one to me. What about Jill, though? Do you think she'd benefit from it? I know she's against it so it's unlikely to happen, but I'm curious what you think about it." Erica said.

"I think she's almost as likely as me to have problems because of her abilities. Even if everything went perfectly for her, she could end up with super sensitive psychic senses and go crazy from all the stuff she'd be sensing all the time!" Sarah said.

"Ugh, yeah, not a good idea! And Mike would probably either kill off the chrysalis the first time he shifted, or it would interfere with his abilities, too. I guess I'm the only one of us who can really benefit from it." Erica said.

"Yeah, even Vash is iffy. He already changed when we brought him back here, there's no telling how a chrysalis would affect him. I am a little worried that the chrysalis might disrupt your immunity to magic and psionics, though." Sarah said.

Erica shrugged, "I'm not worried about that. It probably won't have any effect, but if it does then that means the healing water and other magical objects will work for me that don't now. So either way I'll benefit from it, I think."

"There's one other issue, if you do go through with this." Sarah said thoughtfully.

"What's that?" Erica asked.

"Your body will, hopefully, look the same, but you'll really be hyper evolved, once the chrysalis has done its thing. You'll need to avoid letting anyone get a blood sample or anything like that. Otherwise they could figure out how different you'd really be at that point and you could end up a lab rat somewhere." Sarah replied.

"Hmm, yes, that's a good point. But if this chrysalis thing works, I'll never need to go to a doctor again. So that shouldn't be a problem. Besides, even if I couldn't get away by myself, I'm sure you guys could break me out!" Erica said.

"You're probably right, but I'd rather not be put into a position to have to blast our way in to get you out. Not to mention the fact that you, and probably us after breaking you out, would have to go into hiding." Sarah said.


 
To Be Continued…
 


 


up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

For a bit there I was

For a bit there I was thinking the chrysalis from Starcraft. Not a good thing to end up like Sarah Kerrigan. Although Kerrigan was also a psychic...

Do you think Jill could win a brain fight with the Zerg Overmind?

Nope, never played

Nope, never played Starcraft. At this stage in her development Jill might not be able to beat the Zerg Overmind (I don't know how powerful it was), but maybe later on... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Seems to me

that a trip to Oni is something that Erica should consider VERY carefully, Is it really worth all the risks involved when Sarah and Erica seem to be so happy at the moment?

Kirri

I agree...

but Erica is mostly thinking about being strong enough to protect Sarah. She's immune to magic, but enough people could easily overpower her. Especially if she doesn't have her guns handy! With the advantages of the chrysalis she would be much better able to protect her.

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

A very interesting idea!

And I Ab-So-Lu-Tely LOVE that game! Okay, if anyone did not get it, it is called 'Oni', as one of other people here has written. However, as I remember the storyline very clearly, only two chrysalis samples were created, for the Main Character nad for the Big Bad. The brain behind the science was killed before the story even started, and his colleague caught a bullet of solid mercury in his guts, while shielding the Main Character. The game ended without any hint of the chrysalis technology remaining except for the sample inside the Main Character.

But yeah, it is indeed a great idea, if you can get past the plot problems. Like saving the scientist by pouring healing water on his wound. I will throw in just a few examples of feats Main Character has achieved:
-Survive inside concentrated acid meant to completely dissolve any garbage (80% chrysalis completion, end of antepenultimate mission), then get out of the processing center through the 'sewer' dump, assumed without breathing air, even.
-Fall from at least a few hundred meters high, land on legs and arms, then promptly stand up and go kick ass (about 90%, all things considering, with boost at maximum, beginning of the last mission). Of course this was also a case of Gameplay and Story Segregation (TVTropes TM) since falls from heights would still kill you in the mission.

BTW, in the backstory retrieval mission, part 1 (the facility) it is possible at one moment to exit the facility and take a walk outside. The only problem? Nearby streets are filled with snipers. Oh, and the fun fact. Sometimes, when you break someone's back, they stand up and continue to attack you with the same efficiency as earlier. Not that it helps them, :evil grin:

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Yeah, I love that game, too!

Yeah, I love that game, too! I recently played through it again, and it really did only take me a few hours (Not sure exactly how many, but it was probably more than four and a half). You may have missed some of the story info that was available from various computer terminals in the game, because there were actually quite a few Syndicate (the bad guys) troops who had a chrysalis. They weren't as advanced as the main character and the 'Big Bad', as you called him, but they did have it. And there was a ninja/assassin guy who was the final battle of one of the last missions who also had a chrysalis. Oh, and Barabas, the big guy with the jet pack who you fight a couple of times.

So the tech is available, and I'm sure the TCTF (police, kind of) had that technology. Especially since one of the scientists who developed it was working for them for years. There were even indications that there might have been other people at the TCTF facility that had chrysalis implanted, but were in stasis.

Oh, and I love the bit with the main character falling out of the sky and cracking the pavement when she lands, but just gets up and keeps going! I skip most cut-scenes anymore, but that one I always watch! ;)

Saless

P.S. I know all about those snipers, I routinely hunted them down and killed them! ;)
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Really?

Okay, maybe you have fresher memories. I always attributed most of hi-end bad guys being cyborgs, and not chrisalis users... Then again, there were those Evil Counterparts of the Main Character. And Barabas, I really thought he was a product of another gene therapy.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Yeah, there is information

Yeah, there is information on some of the different syndicate guys that indicates some of them, specifically Barabas, have unusual abilities (specifically rapid healing). One of the types of soldiers were SLDs (androids), though, so you weren't far off!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I remember Barabas healing.

I remember Barabas healing. You then had to kick him in the head for good measure. ;)

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well, I Know Of A Story Where They Are Safe

TransBike [by me] is a story where you wish comes true for you, as long as it is for your body, or to help another.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm, what is "Oni" on?

I only remember one game titled "Oni" and it was created by Rockstar for the PS2 and PC.

I also have some additional suggestions for games. How about Wanderer's From Y's III? There's a time slow ring and some other nice rings in that too. Sure there would be some danger but it's worth a shot. Also what about "Clash From Demonhead"? Sure there's some danger but as long as Sarah took a portal early on in the game AFTER the main character meets the Hermit then Jill and Sarah could meet him. He could help them expand their psychic powers.
As for "Shadow Hearts" that I mentioned before that would definitely be good for Mike. While Mike isn't a Harmonixer in the traditional sense like Yuri is seeing some of the creatures in it and what he might be able to become from them would be tremendously helpful. I just don't know how Mike might be able to make it happen completely. No chance of him visiting the world of "Shadow Hearts Covenant" as the Holy Mistletoe he might come in contact with and that could destroy him. I don't know how helpful the world of "Shadow Hearts: The New World" would be though.
What else? What about "Flashback: The Quest For Identity"? There's an anti-grav belt in that, a memory cube I believe and I think some energy weapon. I could be wrong on the last one and it might be a pistol.

I played Oni on the PC, as I

I played Oni on the PC, as I do most games. I had the original Nintendo, way back when, and I have a DS now, but otherwise all the gaming I do is on the PC. Games certainly add a whole new dimension to the possibilities, don't they? ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What company though?

As I don't remember anything resembling a Chrystalis in Rockstar's version. One wouldn't expect much creative from those HACKS anyway.

I just checked Wikipedia,

I just checked Wikipedia, and it looks like it was Gathering of Developers that handled the PC version. Rockstar did the PS2 version. I don't know if the Rockstar version had a chrysalis or something like it, but in the PC version the chrysalis was the "hyper evolved clone of the host". Basically, they took a sample from you, did something to cause it to evolve to the nth degree, and implanted it right back in you. Then it would grow to reinforce/repair/replace any part of the body that was damaged or over stressed. So if you got shot the chrysalis would heal the wound rapidly and the new muscles, nerves, etc. would be the hyper evolved version and a lot stronger. So the more damage/stress you experienced, the faster your body would change. The acid bath Faraway referred to obviously caused a very rapid change! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Ok.

I thought there was only one Oni game.

There's a good old PC RPG out there called Excelsior or something. It's an 80's or early 90's game, very hard. It's full of all sorts of puzzles, like Jeopardy! level. I wish I could remember more other than I really liked it.

Jobe's drow babe formula?

Nah... Bad idea. Very bad idea.

(Besides, I wonder how the fey genes and Erica's magic null would interact.)

Hmm, Erica as a drow...

Hmm, Erica as a drow... Interesting thought... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Whattszat?

I'd think "drow" was a misspelling of something, if I could figure out what "something" it is. :-(

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Jobe's Super Mega-Hot Drow Babe Formula

A Drow is a kind of dark elf (google it for more info.)

The specific Drow I am referring to, however, is a somewhat ordinary person who was injected with a formula specifically designed to give him the form of a drow girl -- a very hot Drow girl. Said person was rather a weasel and an arrogant so-and-so before that happened, and the experience actually improved him/her. In other words, he didn't become a dark being.

Physically, think of an elf with black (obsidian black, not chocolate brown) skin, white hair, big elf eyes, pointy ears, and the whole nine yards. The person is also very strong, and is a regen five (fast regenerator.)

It's part of the Whateley universe. The story itself is called The Book of Jobe. You can read it by itself, but it's more entertaining if you are already familiar with the Whateley universe.