Sarah's Shadow - 11 - Overtures

Printer-friendly version
Sarah's Shadow
A Venus Cursed! Story
Chapter 11 - Overtures
by Saless
 

Tiffany didn't know what to do. She wondered if anyone had seen her, or her car. She decided to hide everything she'd gotten under her bed. It wasn't a very good hiding place, but it was the best she could do. The cloak was a big help in hiding everything else.

After that she spent the rest of the day hiding in her apartment and watching the TV for any more news. They repeated the same thing a couple of times, and then nothing. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? I wonder how the others are handling this. They've got to be as nervous as I am. But at least they're not alone. she thought. Maybe I should tell them? But they wouldn't trust me, so it wouldn't get me anywhere. Maybe if I make friends first…

Tiffany had a hard time getting to sleep that night, and dreamed of police breaking down her door and carrying her off to jail. She didn't feel nearly as cheerful or energetic in the morning as she usually did, but made an effort to get into a better mood so Sarah wouldn't notice. By the time she got to work she'd largely succeeded.

She waited for Sarah by the door and saw her girlfriend kiss her goodbye before driving off. They were so obviously in love and Tiffany felt a pang of envy. I'm tired of being alone. But maybe I can do something about that. she thought. She greeted Sarah and offered to be friends. Sarah seemed a little hesitant at first, but soon came around. Tiffany had a hard time keeping track of what she could say and what she couldn't without revealing her own secrets. Even so she had a good time talking with Sarah and began to think she wasn't going to be alone anymore.

Sarah said something at one point, about her parents and their poor relationship, which struck Tiffany as familiar. She was sure she'd heard something very similar before, but she couldn't place where. Wherever she'd heard it, she was sure that it had hidden a great deal and wondered if that was true with Sarah, too.

After work she met Erica, but she seemed a bit distant. Tiffany was glad Jill wasn't there.

After Sarah left she returned to her own apartment and just surfed the net, looking for anything on what happened in the hills. She figured the others would be staying home today, rather than risk being connected with that. She found a few references, but not much. Mostly just about the news coverage.

Tiffany was feeling a little more relaxed by the time she went to bed and slept dreamlessly.

She met Sarah at the door again the next morning, but something seemed off. She finally asked her at lunch and learned that John had broken into her apartment and trashed it! Tiffany felt horrible, because she had stayed home instead of going to Sarah's apartment as she so often did. She had to remind herself that it had happened while she was at work, so there was nothing she could have done. Despite her best efforts, she still felt like she'd let Sarah down and vowed to watch her like a hawk.

After work she went straight to Sarah's apartment. They were very active inside, moving furniture and apparently dropping the old stuff through portals in the floor when she got there. Tiffany didn't dare go inside as the door opening and closing would surely be noticed. She resigned herself to waiting outside, but got her opportunity to get in when they stopped for dinner.

Tiffany looked around in wonder once she was inside, as not only had they completely cleaned up the mess John had left, but they'd replaced all the furniture with much nicer stuff! How could they afford all this, or get it so quickly? she thought. They didn't say, and soon left for Jill and Mike's apartment. Tiffany wasn't able to get in, there, so she just watched as they replaced all of their furniture, too!

To her dismay, Sarah and Erica returned to her apartment through a portal, which Tiffany didn't have any chance of going through since she was stuck outside. She walked back to Sarah's apartment and looked in, but they were nowhere in sight. She tried the door, but it was locked, so she used her key and let herself in. She made sure to lock the door behind her and took up a position where she could see but not be seen in case John came calling again. She'd meant to only stay for a couple of hours, but she fell asleep.

When she woke it was just starting to get light out. She wiped the sleep from her eyes and groaned, realizing she'd have to speed back to her apartment to get dressed and hurry back over to work. Just then she heard a commotion coming from Sarah's room and rushed in. She found Erica on the bed, looking down worriedly at Sarah, who was lying on the floor in a fetal position, obviously trying to keep as much space between them as she could. Before she even knew what she was doing she had one of her throwing knives in her hand and was about to throw it when she realized that Erica wasn't attacking. In fact, she was just sitting there. What's going on?! Is she hurting Sarah, or helping her, or what? she thought, torn between a desire to protect Sarah and attack Erica, or wait and see what was happening as she knew that hurting Erica would hurt Sarah. In frustration she settled back to watch, longing to comfort Sarah but not daring to reveal herself to them.


 
To Be Continued…
 


up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow!

(First vote and comment - I must have been quick tonight...)

Very interesting episode - and it looks as though Tiffany now genuinely wants to help/protect Sarah.
It's a good job she's got some self-control over those throwing knives or things could have got very ugly very quickly.

Perhaps we're building up to a reveal?

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Ooh, yes, don't even want to

Ooh, yes, don't even want to think about what would have happened if Erica was severely injured or died when Sarah was having that breakdown! Argh, now you've got me thinking about it! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Don't you dare...

...kill off Erica! Or Jill, Mike, Tiffany or Vash!

Kyle and John, on the other hand, are disposable :)

"Hi John, you're looking a little cold. Let me warm you up a bit...say, would 5,000°C do?!"

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Here's a two-fer

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."---I guess I should have known what was going on with Sarah sooner. Somehow it just slipprd by me . The good thing is that Tiffany has discoverd her own feelings . I hope she continues to seek friends and expand her world outward . I hate th tension awiting the next cahapters . Also I am sure rolling around in Tiffs head somewhere , is the fact Sarah will need " protection " after Erica returns to school .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Tiff Is About To

Find out about the skeletons in Sarah's closet. What will that knowledge do to affect her relating to the group? She's showing compassion, could she use her power to become an assassin, or ninja?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Maybe it's me...

Frank's picture

But Tiffany sounds like she is interested in being more than just friends to me...or maybe I'm misreading her thoughts...

Hugs

Frank

You Know, That's Really A Rather...

Before she even knew what she was doing she had one of her throwing knives in her hand and was about to throw it when she realized that Erica wasn't attacking.

You know, that's really a rather strange reaction Tiffany had to this little emergency. A throwing knife is actually a rather esoteric weapon for your average person to have any skill in using, and it can be rather hard to master. Tiffany reached for it, and was prepared to use it, all in unconscious reflex. She acted as if she had been using one for years, which stikes me as extremely strange. Do you suppose that one or more of the magical items she is carrying are imbuing her with the unconscious skills to use them? If so, what other effect might this have on her mind, her body is already undergoing some kind of transformation from her interaction with shadows.

A Perfect Adapttation

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."-----Would not the skills that Tiffany exhibits and the changes manifesting , suit a thief and/or an assain ? Also , Sarah seems to now emote an aura that causes others to want to defend her . Tiffany is vulnerable to magic , so probably got a full dose due to Sarah's panicked stste of mind . I feel as though Dear Saless has bthe begining of an Epic on her hands , with the preceding chapters merely the introduction .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

Everyone seems to expect

Everyone seems to expect Venus Cursed! to go the way of EAFOAB in terms of length... ;) Not very likely, I'm afraid, though I wouldn't mind. There are still quite a few things left to explore, though, including some that have only been hinted at, if that, and one new (relatively speaking) idea that could substantially extend the story. Oh well, we'll see what happens!

I love all the speculation, and all comments, for that matter! Please keep it up! :)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Some of her items may be cursed as Vash warned

The obsidian ring worries me. Could her changing hair color, shadow powers and sudden instinctive ninja skills be a warrior spirit, perhaps even a magic using ninja's soul trapped in a cursed object, such as the ring, trying to take over her body and change it into theirs?

For now she is in control but is she at risk of being corrupted or even possessed?

Nifty side tale.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Double post Oooops!

please delete

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa