Sarah's Shadow - 7 - Preparations

Printer-friendly version
Sarah's Shadow
A Venus Cursed! Story
Chapter 7 - Preparations
by Saless
 

Tiffany admired the gems and coins for a long time before going to bed that night. In the morning she drove to her parents house for Christmas. She was distracted the entire day, thinking about everything she'd learned and the bag of coins and gems hidden in her apartment. She was only free to really think about it as she contemplated her gifts after dinner. She didn't notice the light dimming around her, but her mother did.

"It's getting dark in here, did the bulb burn out?" she said. Tiffany looked up and realized that the darkness was all around her, but the rest of the room seemed well lit. As she realized this the darkness dissipated and the lighting returned to normal. "Oh, I guess it was just a power fluctuation." she said dismissively, as that happened often. Tiffany began to suspect that there was more going on than that. She carefully kept her thoughts away from all of that for the rest of the night, until she'd returned to her apartment a few hours later.

I've been through the portals a couple of times now, and the others all seemed to gain powers from that. Is that what's happening to me? she thought. Then she remembered how no one ever seemed to see her, despite her amateurish attempts at stealth. What did Vash say again? Oh, right, he called me Shadowkin! Maybe that has something to do with it. she mused.

Yawning, she dismissed that thought for the moment and went to bed.

Saturday dawned and Tiffany was itching to go on another adventure. She didn't really understand why, although the lure of treasures like those she took home with her the last trip might have had something to do with it. After a quick breakfast she dressed and headed over to Sarah's apartment again.

She parked well away from Sarah's apartment as usual, and then settled down in her familiar hiding place. Almost instantly the space behind the hedge grew darker around her, until she could hardly see her own hand in front of her face. But her view into the apartment was unrestricted. I guess that's what that Shadowkin stuff was about. Should come in handy! she thought.

When she turned her attention back to the window she saw that Sarah and Erica were making out on the sofa, rather enthusiastically. I guess Erica's getting used to Sarah now! she thought with amusement.

Moments later she heard Jill and Mike approaching. Jill seemed to gravitate to Mike as they approached the apartment, until she was practically attacking him! Mike seemed to be enjoying himself, but then he pushed her back. She struggled for a while and then stopped and looked embarrassed. I wonder what that's about? Tiffany thought as she watched them go to the door and open it. Mike turned away and Jill closed it. Sarah saw it just as it closed and ran from the room, clutching her robe to her. Erica straightened her clothes and let her friends in.

They began talking, but Tiffany couldn't hear much from outside the window. Sarah rejoined them and shortly thereafter they all left, Vash returning to invisibility on Jill's shoulder. So Vash can be invisible? How many tricks does that imp have? At least he's leaving me alone; I guess that ring must have been important. she thought as she hurried to follow them. From their conversation she was able to figure out where they were going, so she hurried over to her own car and drove to the mall.

She didn't know where they were going to go, and didn't want to try and follow them throughout the mall, so she decided to take a chance and wait for them in the store where she and Sarah worked. In those familiar surroundings, with the advantage of her developing powers, she was easily able to remain unseen while she watched for Sarah and her friends. She had a long wait.

Tiffany was debating leaving when Sarah and the others finally arrived. She was caught off guard and Sarah nearly saw her, but she managed to duck back and a shroud of shadows hid her from view. I really need to figure out how to do that on purpose! she thought as she watched Sarah turn away and catch up with her friends.

When she realized they were going to leave, Tiffany hurried out to her car and returned to Sarah's apartment. She tried the door on the off chance it was unlocked, but it wasn't. She thought about trying to pick the lock, but she had neither the tools or skill to pull it off, so she settled down to wait and tried to consciously increase the darkness around her, and then reverse it. She had some limited success before Sarah and the others returned and she had to hide again.

Once they were all inside they went to the kitchen to eat, so Tiffany tried the door again. Aha, unlocked! I've really got to see about getting a key somehow… she thought as she let herself in. She spied Sarah's keys sitting on a table by the door and, before she could talk herself out of it, grabbed them and hurried back out to her car. She sped over to Home Depot and had a copy made, then hurried back. To her relief, they were grouped around the computer when she returned and she was able to return Sarah's keys without anyone seeing her.

Now I can come in anytime, that should make this easier! she thought smugly. She half expected Vash to say or do something, but he seemed to be asleep on the couch.

Tiffany watched and waited, and was rewarded with the interesting news that Erica was immune to magic! Maybe that's why Vash can't talk to her like he did me… she thought.

Some time later Erica printed out a story for a world she wanted to visit and they prepared to go through. Vash woke up, but showed no signs of noticing Tiffany there. She followed them through as she had been and found herself on a space ship! She watched and listened carefully, and discovered that Erica had picked this story, in part, to acquire weapons and some kind of explosive ammunition! Hmm, maybe I should take advantage of the situation. she thought.

Tiffany enjoyed the tour with the others, but hung back after they were given the guns and bullets and gathered up some for herself. I lost that knife, but now I've got something to defend myself with if I need it! she thought. She had managed only one pistol and magazine, and a smaller box of bullets, but she figured it would be plenty since she'd stay hidden most of the time. She hurried to catch up with the others and dashed through the portal before the others went through so she could get a good hiding place.

She watched as they came back through the portal. She noticed that Erica seemed to know how to handle guns, and made sure to pay attention, as she had no experience herself. Thanks to that she was able to load the weapon herself, and also found the safety. Just as well I figured that out, she thought as she listened to their conversation. Sounds like we've got another adventure to go on now… She stashed the box of ammunition somewhere they were unlikely to find it and stuffed the gun into the waistband of her jeans while she waited for the next portal.


 
To Be Continued…
 


up
95 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tiffany needs to die

NoraAdrienne's picture

This girl is a greedy bitch. She needs to either get killed or left behind someplace so that she learns a real lesson.

There is an explanation.

Sean, Jill and Mike had their high hopes of fun and profit severely dampened because of the Venus Curse. They have learned on their hides that worlds are not forgiving and will not hesitate to put the visitor down hard. Erica and Tiffany only had to deal with the aftermath - girlified Sean - Sarah. Erica is very down-to-earth type, she is used to having her way and adopts measures she deems necessary - guns in particular. Tiffany is troubled with avarice, and not in a single travel was she in any danger that left lasting damage. Instead, she came on top with loads of booty!

I would suspect a possible scenario of driving common sense into their thick heads would be a dangerious situation when Erica is captured, Tiffany and Vash are left behind, Jill, Mike, and Sarah escape, but Sarah is tranquilised for a day in the least, and judgement in that world is swift and merciless. That way, Vash will reason Tiffany into helping Erica escape, and they will be on the run for some time until Sarah awakens and opens a way out for them.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Hey!

Don't give the evil authoress any ideas. Like my kids, she thinks up enough mischief all on her own.

Ray, there is a reason for that.

And the reason is - I have a lot of ideas and I'm not considering myself a writer. So, I am throwing my ideas around here where evil authoresses can pick them up and fleshen them out. Thus living vicariously through others.
::grin:: Besides, all fun and no stress keep me happy!

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Mwuahahaha!!!

Mwuahahaha!!! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I don't think death provides

I don't think death provides much of a lesson... but being stranded is another matter!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Tiffany

Tiffany needs to show herself and join the group. Of course, being a shadowkin, she probably likes skulking around in the shadows.

I don't like the way she casually breaks into Sarah's home -- even if that is part of her nature as a shadowkin. On the other hand, I'm not against the idea of making money. I wouldn't loot, steal, or pillage to do it, but there's nothing wrong with a fair profit.

If I had that power, I would try to find a world where gold is a common metal, and trade something common on Earth (like aluminum) for it. In general, trade benefits all parties.

Agatean Empire

In that case, I think our heroes should try Discworld or more like its part thats home of Twoflower - the Agatean empire. There is plenty of Oktiron and Gold.

One problem with that is

One problem with that is that you can reduce the value of what was, after all, a scarce commodity. But then, you'd probably have to bring back an awful lot for that! Another is trying to sell the gold. And then there's the taxes... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Taxes and stuff...

I'm not suggesting bringing tons and tons of gold into the 'real' world. Nor would I restrict my trading to only one world.

I had often contemplated what I would do with unexplainable money.

If I wanted to be greedy and not share with Uncle Sam, selling small amounts of gold (or whatever) for cash in various and sundry places would be the way to go.

On the other hand, the safest thing to do would be to sell the gold (or whatever) above board, pay the taxes, and refuse to tell anyone where I got it. While the IRS may claim to have the right to know where I got it, they really don't. If you declare the income and pay your taxes, they don't really have much to say about it.

Of course, if you come up with tons of money without any explanation, you will attract attention. A good lawyer can keep the guv'mnt off of your back, but shadier types may want 'a piece of the action' in exchange for 'protection money.'

The safest thing to do would be to start some kind of a small business as a front. Buy and sell stuff (wholesale or retail,) and slip the gold (or whatever) into the stream. Invest the profits in the stock market or mutual funds (the same thing, but someone else administers them,) and live off of the dividends.

If you have enough volume outside the stuff you want hidden, you won't attract too much attention. If you start taking piles of gold to the jewelers and selling it, people are going to be curious.

Also, all you really need is seed money. Once you get enough money invested, it will grow and maintain itself. Then, your scavenging forays can be for things that interest you, new technology, and things that will save the world.

Of course, there's no reason you have to live your life in the 'real world.' You can always move to Pern or somewhere, and make trips back for Christmas and stuff.

Showing herself ...

> Tiffany needs to show herself and join the group. Of course, being a shadowkin, she probably likes skulking around in the shadows.

The way Tiffany's character is developing right now, I think it's less and less likely that she shows herself voluntarily. And I can't really see her joining the group - after all, she's doing everything possible to piss them off at the moment, even if she seems to be oblivious of that.

She could get left behind on some world, forcing the group into a rescue mission (if they realize where she's gone, or if Vash tells them). She might also find herself compelled to help them in a dire situation.

But right now, I think, the most likely way the group becomes aware of Tiffany is that she'll sooner or later betray them for thirty pieces of silver (and maybe some gems and magical items on the side) and lose Vash's protection. But maybe I'm too negative about her.

--- Martin

If They Visit Star Trek

They just might meet Q and then they WILL have an adventure.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I remember one episode

I remember one episode of TNG wherein Q (played by actor John De Lancie) was stripped of his powers by the other members of the Q Consortium. It was interesting to see how reliant he became upon the Enterprise D crew in order to adjust to his new human restrictions! If Sarah, Mike and the rest ARE to visit the TNG environment while Q is around, perhaps that would be the one time to do so!

Jenny

Jenny

Yes, facing Q with his

Yes, facing Q with his powers doesn't sound like a safe proposition. Interesting, probably, but not safe!

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

I keep waiting for Erica,

I keep waiting for Erica, since she is immune to magic, to spot Tiffany and ask the others who she is and what she is up to.

She is immune to magic, but

She is immune to magic, but not to a lack of light! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America