Sarah's Shadow - 13 - A Friend In Need

Printer-friendly version
Sarah's Shadow
A Venus Cursed! Story
Chapter 13 - A Friend In Need
by Saless
 

In the morning Tiffany had to drag herself out of bed. Eventually she managed to get ready and get to work on time. She was shocked when she arrived to find Sarah already there, working away. "Good morning Sarah, are you feeling better today?" she asked.

Sarah smiled weakly and said, "Yeah, I'm feeling better." She went back to work without another word after that, and it wasn't until lunch time that Tiffany was able to talk to her again.

"Sarah, I've been thinking about something you said the other day." Tiffany said when they sat down to eat in the break room.

"Oh, what was that?" Sarah asked.

"Remember we were talking about our parents? And you said you never got along with yours?" Tiffany replied.

"Sure." Sarah said, frowning.

"Well, the way you said it reminded me of something I'd heard before. It wasn't until last night that I finally remembered where I'd heard something like that. It was someone I met at the orphanage before being fostered out. There was a guy who talked about his parents the same way. I learned later that he'd been abused by them. Nothing like that has happened to you, has it?" Tiffany asked hesitantly. She knew it had, of course, but she couldn't reveal that to Sarah.

Sarah looked angrily at Tiffany and said, "Who put you up to this?! Was it Jill?"

"Sarah, I've never even met Jill! What are you talking about?" Tiffany replied.

Sarah glared at her for a moment and then relaxed back into her chair. "Sorry, my friends have been acting weird lately, trying to say that my mother tried to kill me when I was a kid! Can you believe that?!"

"Uh, yeah, sounds weird. Where did they ever get an idea like that?" Tiffany said awkwardly, once again struggling with what she could and couldn't say.

Sarah shrugged, "I don't know. My parents never did anything like that to me." She said this very firmly, yet there was a trace of uncertainty to it that Tiffany doubted anyone who didn't know her would have caught.

"Well, that's good." Tiffany said. She knew she didn't sound very convincing, but Sarah seemed to accept it. They groused about work after that until their lunch break was over. It's like right on the edge of her consciousness, isn't it? Tiffany thought as she got back to work.

Yes, it is. Vash replied, startling her. Sorry, I'm here to keep an eye on Sarah. I know you're doing so as well, but it never hurts to have an extra pair of eyes.

Sure, I understand. We're all worried about her. I'm amazed she hasn't said anything about my hair, eyes, or skin. I guess she's pretty preoccupied. Tiffany said.

Yes, it's taking a great deal of effort for her to keep everything bottled up the way she is. It never ceases to amaze me how humans can work so hard to not know something they already know! Hopefully we'll be able to put a stop to that tonight. Vash said.

Tiffany caught herself nodding in reply, and looked around to make sure nobody noticed her seemingly talking to herself. She heard chuckling in her head as she continued working and knew that Vash had caught that.

Tiffany was just about to clock out with Sarah when she got called away to help with an ornery customer. She kept an eye on her while she was dealing with the customer and noticed that she hung back by the door she normally left by. Then she headed to the back of the building. What's she doing? she thought to Vash.

She's trying to avoid Erica and Jill, who are waiting with Mike outside the door. I'll go with her, please follow as soon as you can. Vash replied. Tiffany dealt with the customer as quickly as possible and hurried outside, not even bothering to clock out. She didn't see anyone at first, but when she stepped out away from the building she saw Vash lying on the ground! She ran over and feared he was dead, as his fur was matted with blood. Upon closer inspection she saw that he was still breathing. With a sigh of relief Tiffany cloaked herself in shadows and ran out to find Sarah.

She nearly passed right by her, as she was lying down behind some bushes. It was John she saw first, struggling with his belt. He finally got it undone and pulled his pants down. Sarah's clothes were torn and she was trying to get away from John, but her efforts were uncoordinated and ineffectual. Realizing what was about to happen Tiffany reacted without thinking. She reached for a throwing knife that shouldn't have been there, but was. With a precision of motion she wouldn't have expected of herself she threw the blade at John where it buried itself in his back.

John staggered and tried to reach around to pull the knife free. Again without thinking about it Tiffany pulled on a thread of shadow that seemed to be connecting the knife to her, and it reappeared in her hand. She looked dumbly down at the blade, and saw that there was no blood on it at all! Looking back at John she saw him drop to his knees and then fall face first on top of Sarah. Tiffany was afraid he was still attacking her, but she soon realized he was unconscious or dead.

Sarah was even more hysterical now, but before Tiffany could do anything a large wolf came bounding around the corner. Tiffany was afraid it would attack at first, but then realized it was Mike. Relived that someone was there to take care of Sarah, she ran.


 
To Be Continued…
 


up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Smile !!

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."
Good job Tiff !! Now (as they say in the Olde Testement ) gird your loins and present yourself to your new friends !

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

And some people thought

And some people thought Tiffany was a bad girl when she was first introduced! 'Course, I might have encouraged that a little... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Bad and good ...

... aren't very far apart sometimes ...

Anyway, at one point I got the impression that Tiffany was actually ashamed of helping Sarah and the others (when confronted by Vash at the end of chapter 9). As if helping others didn't fit her shadowy self-image at all. I'm glad that she didn't surrender to the dark side (yet). ;-)

--- Martin

Just about

what I thought happened. Poor Sarah has been though so much, but she has friends looking out for her whether she wants them or not. This time it was a darn good thing! Great stuff Saless!

Hugs!

Grover

Thanks Grover!

Thanks Grover! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

One surprise

Everything went pretty much as I expected, except for one thing. I was surprised that Sarah was actively avoiding the others. At some level she must be aware that she is on the edge of not being in control. Silly, as she would have no way of avoiding them once she got home.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Yep, but she's not thinking

Yep, but she's not thinking real clearly at this point. But then, who would?

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

OK, So Tiffany

Stopped John, But can she port other things to her? Can she port herself? Can she port others? Can she use the port power like a shield like Sarah can?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

should the question be...

Can she become the shadow/darkness? great writing Saless!

Diana

Porting

So far, it looks as though it's just the throwing knives, which are subconciously ported to her when she gets angry enough to feel the need to attack someone.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Hint...

The throwing knives are one of the items that called to her... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Great chapter Saless

i wondered how long it would be before John showed his ugly head again!! I guess the fact that Sarah is under such pressure at the moment must have lowered her defence against surprise attacks....Shame though, That she could'nt retaliate....Now that could have been VERY interesting!!!

Kirri

It is a shame. That's twice

It is a shame. That's twice now that she's been attacked and things have worked out in such a way that I had to forego the obvious ka-girl resposnse! Not to mention the other weapons at Sarah's disposal... ;)

Thanks Kirri! ^_^

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

The obvious response ...

... might have been a bad idea anyway. After all, Sarah doesn't exactly want her powers to become public knowledge, does she? So it's probably not the best idea to show a person like John what she can do.

Besides, while it might keep him from literally raping her, it would actually just turn a male bully into a female bully.

--- Martin

True, but there are reasons

True, but there are reasons why the obvious response would have been desirable, story wise. Fortunately John gave me an idea that will get around that! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

What did I say? What did I say?

Um, ah, well ... glad to see you finally woke up and took my advice about Susan, dang it! Sarah.

Is it the magic knife had an effect on the nasty John or was it he got a modest dose of Ka-ching, Ka-girl along with something else" IE is John about to undergo a slow age reversal and sex change, kind of an extreme make over?

As Vash said, Sarah is a very strange person in terms of her magic and may well be a new god/goddess about to emerge from her chrysalis so to speak. And Vash has no clue yet as to the limits of Sarah's growth in power and variety of powers. it is almost a case of when Sarah needs a new power she quickly developes one.

Hum, Grover may be on to something, Did Sean change sex as a child or exhibit some other power that trigger her mom's wrath? Was Sean simply a cross dressing child and mom's intolerant, a religious nutter or even mentally ill/a child abuser? Or is mom actually well meaning and was trying to protect her child. What if one or both parents have some magic gift or even one is a minor god/goddess on the run. They fear being discovered and then their child suddenly exhibits powers and uses them. Mom panics and almost kills her child and the trauma causes him/her to forget her powers/represses them? Years later they resurface first in his/her dreams while pining for his/her soul mate off at law school.

Whatever the case, good parents who made one mistake they can't/don;t know how to make up for or plain old rotten bastard child abusing parents we still need an explanation for why Sean and now Sarah has powers. Where did the portal power come from that started all of his?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. and for that matter, who keeps an eye on/polices new gods and godesses and older existing ones like Venus? Even the gods likely have their own officaldom. Is Sarah the first of a new Olympus of gods, gods for the modern era or for the multiverse, thus the portal powers? Or is it I'm up WAY to late and my mind is going ga-ga?

John in Wauwatosa

I'm afraid the origins of

I'm afraid the origins of Sarah's powers is one of the last (if not the last) things that will be revealed of the current mysteries. In fact, it won't be revealed until my new story crosses over with this one. Fortunately, that crossover will happen after the end of the new story, so I don't actually have to coordinate them. I'd still like to get it started first, though, so people have a chance to find out a little something about the character... ;)

On the other hand, you'll find out what it is you said that gave me the idea really quickly. It's referred to briefly in chapter 65, which I just posted, but will be explained more fully in the first chapter of The Watcher, which I will hopefully have finished and posted tonight.

I like the idea of god police. I can think of a couple of characters who could fill the role... ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Or...

Maybe it would become a Bad Boy to Good Girl story. (Sub-story, actually.)

Ray, sorry to say it.

No offence, but if you truly think so...

Or, you must be just throwing wild ideas around.

...Anyways, I have a steady supply of bridges if anyone is interested.

Faraway

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Now, I understand

Guess, I need to read the shadow thingies. :)

Khadija

It does help. Pretty much

It does help. Pretty much everything gets explained in the main story line eventually, but this way you don't have to wait! ;)

Saless
 


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America