The Omega Unicorn Chronicles Book 2 Summer Vacation Ch. 02

Printer-friendly version

The Summer Vacation
Chapter 2

By Rachel76m
Edited by Don Kaufman


NC-mountain-road.jpg
gas-station.jpg
forest-cabin04.jpg


A sleek hybrid car is seen driving a winding road in the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina. The date is May 4 of the year 2098. It's a Sunday.

I see a beautiful vistas of rolling hills and farms. I pass through several towns while making my ascent. In the distance I see the Appalachian Mountains ascend higher and higher. Along the way I see the usual repairs to the guard rails to keep people safe on the roads. Some look newer than others.

“It has been awhile since I have seen these mountain roads. It is gorgeous country up here. I better stop in at the next gas station. I will need it topped off before I get to the family cabin. It will be good to see friends up here again. They will be surprised.” I will be celebrating my 21st birthday this year.

After a few miles the road way widens out and I see a small town nestled in a valley along the road I'm driving. It has a creek flowing noisily behind the town. Part of the roadway parallels part of the creek most of the way up to a mountain pass nearby for those who want to get to the other side.

I drive my hybrid car to a stop in front of an antique gas pump. I turn off the power plant. Soon I see a man walking out from the store front to greet the driver.

“Good morning, sir. What can I do for you?”

I get out and stand next to my car. “Well, a tank full of your bio-fuel sounds great Chuck Wilkerson,” as I smile.

“How did you know my name? Wait a minute.” His jaw drops . . . ”I don't believe it. It’s Richard!” Chuck turns around and yells to the store front. “Hey, in there. Come on out. We have a friend who is long overdue here. It's Richard Moore from NC State!”

Soon there are squeals of excitement and laughter from the gas station as a mother and two children come running out. As soon as they see me, they run faster and almost knock me down in their jubilation. They are all hugging, laughing, kissing and a few tears are shed. I'm doing the same thing with them.

It takes awhile for everybody to calm down before the questions start to pour out.

“How long is your stay here now?” asks Elizabeth.

“How does a three-month summer break before I finish my senior year at NC State sound to you?”

They all raved, hooted and hollered at the news. “That sounds wonderful, we will make it the best stay for you. Your family cabin is still clean and in order. Ready to be used again.”

“Sounds great, Elizabeth.” I look down and see two kids hanging onto me. “My . . . oh my … you have really grown Marcie and Charles. You two are a lot taller since than the last time I saw you.”

“Well it's been three years since your high school graduation, Richard,” smiles back Marcie.

“That's right; that is when I . . . I …had my last family trip.” Some tears came down my face. Chuck and Elizabeth see it and they both immediately hug me.

“That's all right, Richard. You're with friends now. Let me get you filled up. Go and get unpacked and come back here. My day help will be here soon. I am sure Elizabeth and the kids would love to show you around town. Then we will all go out together and have a nice dinner this evening.”

“Sounds like a great plan, Chuck.”

Soon Chuck has me filled up and I pay the bill. I get back into the car and drive to the family cabin which is about a mile on the other side of town. Finding the turnoff from the main road with the family mailbox marking the entrance, I turn there. I drive up the winding path for about 100 yards to the family cabin. I park the car and step out to take a look at the cabin.

“This sure brings back a lot of memories. Well, I better get unloaded and turn on the power.”

I walk up the path and step onto the porch. I take out the keys and insert one of them into the door and open it. I walk in and take in a big whiff of air.

“Ah yes, home away from home. The Wilkerson’s have really taken care of this place. I will definitely keep the place and come up here at least several times a year. Well … at least once a year. At least I am not too far away and the friends my family made over the years here. It will be quiet this time around since I don't have them around anymore. I definitely miss them.”

I walk to the breaker box outside the cabin and turn it on. I see the green light comes on.

I then go back inside to the fuse panel and turn on the breaker switches to power the rest of the cabin. I walk over to the wall switches and turn the lights on and fans to air out the musty smell that is faint in the cabin.

I walk out to my car and begin to unload the suitcases and the gifts in the car. I bring them in and put them on the bed. I then walk over to a table near the living room and remove the covers to reveal a computer system and turn it on. I turn on the TV and the satellite converter box and see what stations are available from the local satellite dish mounted outside the house.

The PC uses the TV as a monitor as well; I set the TV to screen saver mode and leave the satellite box on so I can receive emails from friends. Fortunately I brought my laptop here plus the extra monitors and PCs my dad stored here.

I turn on the radio and play some music from the local station and unpack my suitcases into the dresser drawers, closets and items for the bathroom. I walk out of the room and over to the kitchen. I open up the fridge, freezer and cabinets. Well, I figure they would be empty. The Wilkersons used up the food that was left there the last time my family was here. I better turn down the freezer temp to get it started.

“Well it looks like I will have to restock it or go out and fish for my own meals; that sounds healthier to do anyway. Hah, hah . . . Well, all is set. Let's go back into town and pick up Elizabeth and the kids.”

Turning off the lights and locking the door, I then press a button on a controller and hear a double beep, thus activating the alarm system for the cabin. I have to figure out a better security system. This is too easy for anybody to break in. At least the alarm system is relayed to the local police and fire department if anything should happen. Taking out my cell phone I call the local police department to inform them that I have come back for a three-month summer stay and that the house is turned on. Dialing . . .

Ring . . . ring . . . ring . . . click . . . “This is the Mount Blanc Police Department. This is Sergeant Domasi. How can I help you?”

“Hello, Sergeant, this is Richard Moore. I’m in town for three months.”

“Richard Moore? Hey, it's good to hear from you again. Richard, please stop by when you can. We need to have a talk, all right?”

“No problem, Sergeant. I will definitely do that. Today I will be with the Wilkersons. I will be picking up Elizabeth and the kids and they will be showing me around. Then have lunch together, do some shopping for the cabin. Then I will be over at their place because they invited me out for dinner tonight.”

“That sounds great. Enjoy your stay here at Mount Blanc.”

“Thanks, Sergeant. I'll see you later.”

“I look forward to it.” Click . . . click.

I get into the car and drive back out to the main road and drive back through town. I arrive at the gas station and see Chuck out there attending to a truck. I pull up to a stop on the other side of the pumps.

“Hello, Chuck, I'm back.”

“Hold on a second, Bob.”

“Sure, can do, Chuck.”

“Elizabeth, Marcie, Charles, Richard is back!”

The kids come running out laughing.

“Slow down, you youngins'. How many times have I told you about running around here? You got away with it when Richard got here earlier.”

They stop running and start walking, with Elizabeth not too far behind.

“We're sorry, dad.”

“We'll try to remember next time.”

The children give the standard responses.

Chuck sighs and shakes his head. “Okay, go have a great day with Richard. How come you're driving this type of car? You know hover cars are being sold now.”

“I know, Chuck. But, when you're in college, you need reliable transport. The hover cars are only a few years old.”

“That's a good idea.”

I get out to walk around the car and open the passenger side doors. The kids pile into the back seat, while Elizabeth sits up front on my right-hand side. They all buckle themselves up to get ready to go.

“Thank you, Richard.”

“You're welcome, Elizabeth.”

“Thank you, Richard,” as both kids copy mom.

“You're welcome too, Marcie and Charles.” I walk around the car to get into the driver’s seat and strap myself in. “Here, let me push this button to bring in some cool air.” I wink at Elizabeth and the kids. Soon the hard top lifts up and folds back into the trunk space.

The kids oohed and ahhhed over that. “That is so cool, Richard,” remarks Charles.

“That's great, Richard. Well, y'all have a great day. See y'all later this afternoon.”

“Sure will, Chuck.” Turning to my guests, “Well, let's go. My cupboard is bare and I need some lunch.”

“Well let's get some lunch first and then we will do some food shopping, Richard. How's that, Charles and Marcie?”

“Yes. Let's go to the favorite, The Mill by the creek!” Shouts Marcie.

“The Mill it is. Is everyone strapped in?”

Everyone shouts, “Yes, Richard.”

“Then, let's go,” I answer back.

While driving back into town, Elizabeth and the kids try to give me an update on the happenings since I was there last. When we arrive at The Mill, I put the top back up. Everybody unbuckles and gets out. I then lock the car.

“Don't worry. I'll put it back down after lunch.”

We walk in and see a decent crowd; it was not too long a wait to be seated. The waitress brings out glasses of ice-cold mountain water for all four of us. After looking at the menu, we place our orders with the waitress, and then she leaves and places the order at the cook's station.

“Well as you know Richard, since we opened up the mountain side on Mount Blanc for skiing, we have become year round almost with the tourists.”

“That's great for your local economy, but I bet traffic is getting worse.”

“That's true. But it is better that everybody is working and putting food on the table.”

Soon the waitress arrives with their order. The kids give a quick 'Thanks' and soon we are delving into our lunches and continuing with getting caught up with the family and town news.

After paying the bill, we all get back into my car and buckle up. We travel to the local grocer to pick up food and some supplies. On the way back with the top down we enjoy the cool wind in our faces. Arriving at the cabin we unbuckle and get out of the car. The kids start running around and playing in the yard.

“Don't get too far, now. Stay close to the cabin. I'm going to help Richard now to get his food and stuff inside.”

“Okay mom,” they both yell at the same time.

Upon walking inside the cabin with the food, I see a white light flashing by my PC. “That's odd Elizabeth. There must be an email message waiting for me on the PC. The red light is for the one by the phone. Could you go ahead and put the stuff away? I need to see who left the message.”

“Sure, Richard,” she begins to put items away into the fridge and the pantry while humming a tune.

“Thanks, Elizabeth.” I walk over to the PC and turn on the TV and log in. A few minutes later after looking for the message in my email box, I see a new message, “Well it seems the message came via satellite and not from around here. The origin is a place where I went to visit this past Spring Break for a few days. There is really no message until I open the attachment.”

“Well, play it. It might be a friend who is trying to get a hold of you.”

“Sure, I'll play the message.” I click on the attachment and a video begins to play.

“Greetings, Richard. I hope you receive this message in time. It's been a year since you were here last. We had just received an outside contact on our world. They're behind our Twin Moons and are spying on us. For what purpose it is not known at this time. But it is probably for evil, more than likely. Come as quickly as you can. Be prepared for a fight. I will be at my King's Castle and giving an update on the situation if I am not here in my cottage. We are gathering all information that is available. We are having a world conference meeting in the King's Chamber in two days. Come regardless, whether we need you or not. We must be prepared. With high praise for the Maker of the Universe and the Twin Moons this is Renard, Wizard of the Mystic Order, Master Wizard of Thryson Kingdom.”
“PS - Set your visual device to the correct frequency and replay this message again when you’re ready to come.”

“It states the message is from Renard . . . Renard . . . No way, I can't believe this! For him to contact me, it must be very important!!”

“Who is Renard, Richard? It sounds like he is some sort of fantasy sci-fi fan.”

“That's a little hard to explain, Elizabeth. The problem is where he is from. He is not from around here, let alone this planet.”

“What are you talking about Richard? Another planet? Is he a mental patient?”

I chuckle, “He is most certainly not. Last Spring Break, I was sitting in my apartment taking a breather from a morning workout. I was catching up on some news on the Internet. I received a similar message just like this one. My email program popped up a memo on my screen to check my email.”

“I was very skeptical of its origin. So I took a chance and I opened the email attachment, then his image appeared on my PC monitor. I thought he had some sort of Eye-Cam program like I have on my PC, because I was viewing him as well and talking to him. What I did not realize is that the Maker must have translated his speech and mine so that we can understand each other. I asked him to explain himself.”

“He asked me if I had a tunable visual device. I told him I did. He gave me a frequency number that he wants it tuned to. The number appeared to be the same magnitude as our TV frequencies. So I calculated the channel number and turned to it. It turned out to be an unused channel if you did not have cable installed. Once I turned to the channel he appeared on the screen. It was incredible. We were actually talking to each other. We exchanged names. Renard told me that I needed to come and meet him personally. All would be explained then.”

“How did you get there?”

“I'm getting to it. Renard did ask me question. Who is the Maker?”

“I told him that the Maker is the Creator of Universe. He has given the people on the planet the opportunity to take care of it. If the people don't, then the Maker will punish that planet until they get it right or else get removed as caretakers of the planet. If they get removed, then the animals living on the planet will rule it and not the people who will then be very few in number.”

He answered back, “I see that the Maker has taught other worlds the truth on responsibility. That is the right answer, Richard. What I want you to do is stand perfectly still. I am going to extend my mystical power through your visual device. You will soon be enveloped in a white glowing light. When it reaches its peak power, you will be transported here through your visual device that is tuned to my location. Are you ready, Richard?”

“As ready as I will ever be. Do it.”

“Renard recited some words as if they were magic type words.”

“Magic, Richard? There is no such thing.”

“Maybe not here Elizabeth, but it’s real there.”

“Then my body started to glow white. Once the glow reached its peak intensity, I was instantly gone in a flash of light. I realized I was conscious the entire trip. I was a little disoriented at first. But, soon I found myself zipping past nebulae and stars that we are familiar with here on Earth, like the Crab and Horse Head Nebulae. I was soon approaching a star system that is similar to ours, but it was different. I soon approached a planet with two moons around it. In another flash I appeared in a room of a small cabin like this one here. There stood in front of me was a man that looked liked us, but again a little different.”

“Wow! What happened then?”

I can see her skepticism in her face and from her tone of voice.

“I was a little disoriented at first. He had me sitting down for a bit from my trip. Renard came over and recited a short incantation and touched my forehead and his. Soon we understood what we were saying to each other. Renard gave me a drink of water. He had a different word for it, but it is the same. He explained that the Maker decided to have worlds with Outside Helpers to aid in a time of major crisis. That way the worlds will know they are not alone in the Universe.”

“But, I interjected. 'I am sorry Renard. But on my world some think we are the only civilization in the Universe. However, some of our scientists are looking through telescopes and using other devices to look into the cosmos.”

“I am sorry to hear that, but at least your world is trying. You will have to tell me more about your world before you go back. Don't worry, the time you spend here won't affect the time there. When you're sent back, you will be back within a few minutes that you left.”

“Thanks I appreciate that.”

“But first you need to get dressed appropriately for our world.”

“I can see that by seeing your robe and how you carry yourself.”

“That's incredible, Richard. Talk about putting faith into action.”

“That's right, Elizabeth. I have a feeling once I make contact again, I don't know how long I will be away.”

“Well, we'll take care of the place as always. You know that.”

“You're right Elizabeth. Thanks. It's possible I might be gone from here for five minutes while I am there for months or even a year.”

“Well let's hope so. You still have a dinner date with us this evening. Go and help your friend. He needs you now.”

I walk into the bedroom and open the closet and pull out my ranger outfit. It's a good thing I packed this away for this trip. I don't think Renard will forgive me if I have to borrow one of his again. I better put on the breast and back plate as well. I take off my shoes and clothes. I fold them up and place the clothes in the dresser drawers. I put on a tee-shirt and a pair of shorts on. I roll up another pair of shorts, tee-shirt, underwear and socks and put them on the bed.

I then put the breast and back plate on and latch them in place. It still fits, great. After two months, it better fit. I put on the pants and tie them tight with the pull cord. I put the shirt on and over the breast and back plate. I take the belt and cinch it around the waist. I sit down and put on the calf-high boots. I tuck in the leggings into the tops of the boots. I stand up and put on the jacket.

I take off my watch and place it on the dresser. That reminds me, I need to bring a wind-up watch with me. I open the top drawer and take the wind-up watch I purchased a month ago. I put that on my wrist.

I then take a shoulder style satchel hanging in the closet. I check inside to make sure everything is there; a coin purse, some folded up pieces of cloth wrapped around some small pads and a jar of ointment to be used for injuries, another small bag containing two sewing needles and two spools of thread, some handkerchiefs, a piece of cloth that's large enough to be used as an arm sling and what's inside it, a comb for my hair and a small mirror.

I also decide to bring a small pad of paper with some pencils and a small fold-up knife that is put into another bag. Also, some small diameter coiled rope of twenty-five feet. The rope is strong enough to hold five people when hanging in the air. I put the rolled up clothes into the satchel.

Since I just had lunch, there is no need to bring a snack. I take the water skin inside the bag and fill it with water from the separate spout on the sink and secure the stopper on it and put it back inside the satchel. I love this fresh mountain water since dad provided a tap for it. The next two important items I see are the contact crystal sphere and light crystal that Renard gave me.

There was something else I need to bring, what was it? Hmm, now I remember what I need to bring; the flower book. I pick up the flower book I bought a month ago and place that into the satchel. I comb my hair one more time and look at myself. I smile as I put the medallion around my neck.

That’s it. I’m ready now. Oops . . . I can't forget the package for King Thranton and the other Dwarf Kings. I take the other package on the desk and put that into the satchel. I also put the multimedia/book about Earth in the satchel as well.

I walk back out to the living room.

“Well, Elizabeth, I am ready to go.”

“Wow, you look great, Richard. Good enough to be at a renaissance fair.”

“Thanks, Elizabeth. Hopefully I will be back in five minutes. Let's have a quick hug.” We hug together quickly.

She looks at him, “Now, you take care. Come back and tell us some out of the world stories.”

“If you want to know what that world is like, go read a book from the library on myths and legendary animals from our world. Some of them are there; like fairies, unicorns, centaurs and even talking dragons.”

“You're kidding me, right?”

“Nope, I'm not kidding. When I leave, you can leave the TV on and switch it to cable if you like. What I am about to do cannot be duplicated. You need this medallion for it to work. The incantation embedded in the message is set for the detection of it and me as well and no one else. Well, thanks for everything; I love your family a lot.”

“We all love you, too.”

We give each another a good hug.

I go to the TV and turn it to channel number thirty-three and it shows a static screen. “I am ready Elizabeth, replay the message.”

With Richard standing in front of the TV, Elizabeth replays the message. Soon Richard begins to glow with a white light. Elizabeth shields her eyes when it reaches its peak intensity. Then he disappears in a flash of light. When the light fades and looks where Richard was standing, he is gone.

Oh dear, he was telling the truth. He disappeared in a flash of light. “Take care, Richard. You are the most amazing friend for us to have in our family.”

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Reading this reminded me of

Reading this reminded me of a comic hero named "Adam Strange", who was from Earth, and was teleported to another galaxy. The people in that galaxy were way more advanced than earth however, so he initially had a hard time fitting in. I am glad that Richard was/is able to fit in easily with his friends on their world. Jan