Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 143

Printer-friendly version

How do you tell your father you're engaged? What was it that Cathy told Simon she rolled in the grass with? And what about the photos, and the story in the local paper, or was it Spiked?

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Bonzi's Mum.
part: 143 (just wait for the next one all you dozen fetishists!).

I dropped off my charges at the university and came straight home. I showered and called Simon, it was half past three, in the morning. How did I used to do this and then turn up for lectures - well I needed the sleep! If they showed any slides, ie darkened the room, I was gone, zzuzzing away like a baby.

We spoke very briefly, I dried my hair, had a quick cuppa and bit of toast - crikey that bread was stale, it was like biscuit before I put it in the toaster, but I needed my surviving roll for breakfast.

I fell into bed about four fifteen and died until about nine or half past, when a heavy lorry or something woke me up, the whole building was vibrating and at first I wondered if we were having an earth tremor.

It wasn't and once awake, I got up and tried to rescue my hair. Of course sleeping on it had made it all stand up one side, so my shower instead of saving time had cost me some. I showered again, ate my brekkies and then dried my hair. It looked okay, but I was getting some dark rings under my eyes. I would sleep tonight at my father's house if it killed me.

I dressed and threw on some makeup to try and hide the tiredness marks. It didn't really work, it never does. I packed and set off for Bristol arriving there some three hours later.

I stripped my bed and filled up the machine, got the bread machine loaded and chopped up the vegetables I'd bought on the way in. He could have some soup, but it would be commercial bread until tomorrow, unless I went in again tonight. I yawned and decided I'd make up my mind later.

I vacuumed around and cleaned up the kitchen, the soup was done and eventually so was my washing. It was dry and breezy, and I hung it on the line. I had some stuff to take into Dad, spare jammies and hankies, why he couldn't use tissues like the rest of the planet, God alone knew. I just cringed at the thought of bogies in my panties!
So I used to soak them in bleach in a bucket and wash them by Marigold, my rubber gloves - well I wasn't going to do them by hand! Ugh!

I was almost tempted to cycle in and show him the bike that cost me an arm and a leg. I had a small backpack. I shoved all the stuff I had to take, including his clean clothes and the flask of soup and the part of a French stick I'd bought - the rest was mine for tea. It all went in and was quite heavy, but I'd cope, I thought.

I pulled on my team GB strip - Victoria Pendleton, I was not, sigh! Then keys and small handbag with money and so on tied to the back of my backpack, bike out of garage, and off.

I got to the hospital in twenty minutes, without the extra weight, I could have saved maybe three or four, but I wasn't counting. Well I was actually, it took the average speed down point one of a mile per hour, my average was now 17.8MPH. Go down a nice big hill, that tends to improve things, poor old Cat's eye, easily fooled, a bit like me.

I rode up to the nearest entrance to my Dad's ward and clomped along pushing the bike with me. I then had to plead with the ward Sister to allow me to bring the bike in with me. Was my father surprised, his eyes were on stalks at me in something sporting, although I had told him I rode.

He was so busy looking at my bike, then back at me in racing skins, that he didn't seem to notice the bread was shop bought. In any case by the time it's all been broken up and dunked in the soup, I'm not sure many folk could tell the difference. He cleared the bowl and downed a cuppa.

He called me over and tried to whisper in my ear. "V-ulls, voo got none."

It didn't make much sense, so whispered at him to show me. He prodded me in the crotch, thankfully without anyone seeing. "Gone!" he declared.

"Looks like," I shrugged and he rolled his eyes.

"Voo woss way."

"I've lost weight?"

"Ess."

"Dunno, I think this makes me look skinnier."

"Ice bummm."

"Ice bum? Oh nice bum, gotcha. You're my father, your not supposed to make personal remarks like that. He giggled like a schoolkid.

I stayed for the hour and was leaving with my lighter backpack, when the ward Sister stopped me. "He really misses you, you know. When you call in to see him it lifts him like balloon."

"I'm sorry, but I do have other commitments, including to my employer, the government, my students, the EU and a few dozen dormice."

"Oh, that's what he was saying the other day, you are the dormouse lady."

"That's me."

"I don't now how you find them, like a needle in a haystack, isn't it? I mean they're quite rare nowadays, aren't they?"

"They take a bit of finding, but once you get your eye in, as the birdwatchers say, they can be found. I suppose I'm looking for potential habitats whenever I go out in the countryside, once I spot one I look for any signs, and off you go. It's almost an obsession these days. But they are increasingly rare, like so many things.

I belong to a probus group, would you come and talk to us about dormice or wildlife in general?

"I don't know, it's about time as much as anything, when do you meet?"

"Usually on a thursday evening."

"Get me some dates and I'll see what I can do, but I won't promise anything."

"Does your dad know you're engaged?"

"How did you know that?"

"Like you with your dormice, I spot the signs."

"What signs?"

"Well they're very subtle, a mood thing, a twinkle in the eye, a difference in posture."

"You're winding me up," I grinned.

"No, I'm not it's all there for the trained eye, oh that and you're wearing a ring."

I laughed and so did she, "It's my mother's - so there."

"But you are aren't you?"

"Yeah, haven't had time to get the ring yet, and he's injured, so it's going to have to wait."

"Congratulations."

"Thanks."

"Have you told your dad?"

"No, not yet."

"Why not, shouldn't he be told, he is your next of kin."

"I'm concerned he may see it as a way of avoiding him, long term."

"What, abandonment?"

"Yes, I don't intend to and I have made it a condition of marriage that we try and integrate him into our lives. But I'm a scientist not a miracle worker and it might not happen for all sorts of reasons."

"I can see that, he could also live another twenty years, he's not sixty yet."

"You see my dilemma."

"I do. Oh well, have a safe ride home."

"Thanks."

I remember reading some stories of a transgendered kid called Gaby or Drew, who liked to think on his or her bike, and when she had a problem, she went for a ride to resolve it. Well, the rest of the stories were, shall we say you had to suspend belief, to allow to happen, but they were good fun. It was all fiction obviously, but the bit about riding a bike to think, absolutely true. It worked for me each time.

By the time I got home, and had showered and changed again, I was washing myself away, the bread was done and the washing was dry. I dressed smart casual, long cord skirt and thin jumper with my fur trimmed hooded jacket. Some make up and I finished the French stick with the remains of the soup for my meal. I made Daddy a ham sandwich and wrapped it up. I was just putting the last of the dishes away when the phone rang.

"Hi babe, you're gonna love the pic in the local rag, I've ordered you a copy."

"Oh hell, I'd forgotten all about it, thanks for spoiling my day.I was just about to leave to tell Daddy about our engagement."

I paused trying to remember how many they took. "Which one did they use?"

"I'll take a copy with my mobile and send it on."

"Will I actually be able to see anything?"

"Doubt it,"

"Can you get Stella to take a digital photo and email me?"

"Yeah, good thinking, I can see why you're a scientist."

"Can you, oh well you can explain it to me later, because I'm blowed if I know why."

"You love small furry things."

"Not all of them, rats do very little for me at all."

"They got a bad press, that's all."

"If you say so, I'll call you when I've seen the email."

"Okay, byeeeeeeee."

That was all I needed. I catastrophised as usual, thinking all it needs is someone to write into our local paper and.... I tried not to even think about it in case it became manifest. Oh bugger!

I drove to see Dad and took him his sandwich. He managed about two thirds of it, so I let him off the rest.

"I have something to tell you." I had difficulty holding his gaze. "Simon has asked me to marry him and I said, yes."

I could see the conflict immediately, the desire to congratulate me and the worry about himself. I waited for him to say something, but he seemed to drift in his thoughts.

"It's going to be a long engagement, I want to finish my degree first. I also told him I needed to resolve your situation as well. For all our differences, you are still part of my life. I don't want that to change, unless you do. I still hope and pray that you will one day become more independent, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sorry that Mummy isn't here to help me plan a wedding one day, but I dreamt of her the other day and she seemed content with things, she showed me this necklace and earrings, as if she wanted me to wear them, so I will. It will feel as if part of her is there with me."

He nodded.

"When Simon is better, remember he was shot by those idiot poachers, I'll bring him up to see you again. Remember you got on well last time." I saw him looking at the ring, "Nah, this is Mum's ring, we haven't had a chance to look for one yet, maybe at the weekend, when I go back down to babysit."

He gave me a questioning look, "I mean look after Simon, like all men he's a big baby, but he likes my cooking."

"Voos ood gook."

"I'm a good cook?" I asked and he nodded. "Thanks Daddy, but I'm nothing special in the cookery department. But I'm better than Simon, so he thinks I'm good, and I suppose you like my food too."

He nodded and rubbed his belly, "Mmm mmm."

"Yum yum?" I asked.

"Ess," he said nodding.

"Any more physio or speech therapy?"

"Ess, is ee o, moggo."

"Physio, tomorrow?"

"Ess."

"Okay, I'll call by lunchtme, if I have time to make you some soup. I have to go to Bristol Uni to see a man about a dog - fox."

He laughed, "O- ay."

I kissed him and drove back. Then after switching on the lap top, I went to make some tea while it warmed up. The picture was of the whole group with me in the middle, the rest towering over me, despite my heels, even Dr Smythe was taller.

There was short story with it.

'Portsmouth University's zoology department today became the leader in a massive project funded by the EU and British governments, plus some investment from the private sector, to see what damage global warming is having on the wildlife in this country.

The project leader is Professor Tom Agnew, who said that mapping and distribution was essential to understanding the expansion or decline of species. With larger species it was easier to get some sort of estimate, but with small, nocturnal or rare species it was much more difficult, such as for species like dormice, which were under threat from habitat destruction by farming, development and other human activities.

He was pleased to say that his team included Cathy Watts, a leading expert on dormice, who would also be coordinating the survey of rodents. Cathy showed the government team around the dormouse breeding project, which she also runs, with her assistant 'Spike' who posed with her boss for the camera.

Prof Agnew, explained that this was the biggest survey of its sort attempted and is the leading wildlife project in Europe. It is due to last at least three years, by which time Spike will be a grandmother several times over.

They will be looking for volunteers at some point in the spring. Contact them on www.wildlifesurvey/ports .....'

I phoned him. "I suppose it could have been worse."

"Well if they do one in three years time, you might well be Lady Catherine and Princess Spike."

"Oh don't, I don't think I can cope tonight," I yawned.

"Well that'll teach ya to go looking for the teddybear's picnic."

"Yeah, I think you may be right, except we found it, didn't I tell you, that's why we were late back, stopped for drinky-poos with the teddies."

"Damn, I knew there was something you were holding back on."

"Yeah, had a roll in the grass with a two foot teddy."

"I didn't think teddies had, you know whats," he said.

"They don't."

"Oh, so what was the point of rolling in the grass with a teddy bear."

"Na, this wasn't a teddybear, it was a teddy boy and the two foot didn't relate to his height or his bike chain.... I have to go to bed now, night." I switched off the phone and left him up in the air. I'm sure he knows I wouldn't cheat on him anyway, not that I could, but it doesn't do him any harm to be teased occasionally.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Your comments are special, they make the story look longer and then Erin doesn't shout at me for writing short ones, and I don't cry and Bonzi doesn't get wet while sitting on my lap, and I know you don't believe a word of it, do you?

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

If Bonzi gets too wet...

She can come and warm up by running around the house with my two...

Thaks for the wonderful story! I've become a refresh monkey waiting for the next chapter!

Jenna

Bonzi

The great hunter that he is, gets his exercise going out and decimating the local wildlife, protected species or not. Cathy would be appalled. But Bonzi feels proud he is contributing to his mistress's table.

Cathy needs to watch those bears though, or she'll end up with a couple of cubs gamboling about. Hard to explain them to the peerage.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

moggy

I'm really surprised that Bonzi hasn't insisted that Cathy the lover of small furry things should find and rescue a poor downtrodden kitten. Of course then she'd probably go all Mrs. Slocombe and tell Stella all about how much she enjoys her new pussy.

I must say ...

... cats are not my favourite thing. One did its best to kill me 15 years ago but only succeeded in paralysing me for a few weeks and another had a go at A a few years later.

For a cyclist, Cathy seems a bit squeamish about bogeys. Most cyclists I know eschew both hankies and tissues - finger and thumb with a good blow seems to suffice. Any wheel suckers have to keep clear :) A is more lady-like though and tucks a hankie in her jersey pocket.

I'm rather surprised they wanted a picture of Cathy all dolled up; I would have thought a white lab coat would be sexier in that context ie more scientificcy.

This is a 'Geoff' comment helping to stretch the post beyond the list of episodes.

Angharad!

I don't know how to break this to ya......but,

Gaby/Drew is real. Cathy is fiction. ;-)

Hugs,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Just Because...

Just because Gaby's a better racer than Cathy doesn't mean Cathy isn't real! Besides, at least Cathy knows what it is she wants. Gaby/Drew still hasn't a clue :)

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Does Bonzi like

Dormouses or prefer rats and does being wet hurt his hunting prowess?Another great chapter Angarad and I enjoyed your first chapter about Charlotte.Amy

A Dormouse

For all the talk about dormice (dormouses?), and their incredible cuteness, have we even had a sneak peek at one?

I don't think so. Not that my memory is particularly terrific, and it certainly isn't near good enough to keep track of 143 anythings, let alone chapters of a story, no matter how riveting and engaging. But, I'm pretty sure we haven't had any pictures of the little darlings.

And even if we had, can you really have too many pictures of anything this cute? So, I hereby do my part of lengthening the aggregate columnage of this chapter and its associated comments, by attempting to post this picture, if I can only remember a little basic html...

Cute picture of dormouse hanging from a twig, cadging some edible berries or immature nuts or something.

Ha! It worked! Maybe I should actually try finishing reading that Teach Yourself HTML in 24 Hours book again. The only problem was, I could never make 24 minutes without falling sound asleep... As Easy As Falling Off A Bike, it isn't.

I just love the photo.

Angharad's picture

Now you can see why Cathy likes dormice. Cute little critters aren't they? thanks Pippa.

hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

Wait for the next chapter?

What about the next chapter?

Ohhhhhh, that's gross!

It's like the man who was had up in court for gross indecency, but got off because he was only found guilty on 143 counts.

Congratulations on keeping this going, us riveted and the dormice alive (cute little buggers aren't they?). A dozen dozens - well done!

Thanks Angharad

You said it, Nick B

144 will be one GROSS chapter.

-- snicker, gufaw, snort, giggle --

Giggle?!

Who sliped estrogen in my Wheaties?

By the way, cute doormouse picture. I'll have to hide it from our cats, it might give then ideas.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Whay's with the bears?

John in Wauwatosa

Easy as falling off a Bike

Angharad,
So like when is BBC going to start doing the tele version of this epoc story? I know I'll watch it even if I don't like who they get to play Cathy, Stella, and Simon. So are you going to play Cathy ;) ???
If you haven't been contacted by them yet I'll have to give Jana a ring and ask her why. No I don't know her personally but she is a friend of an old friend. You know how that works.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Doh!

Angharad's picture

I think I'll stick to the scribbling. I did do some acting when I was in school and college, including doing a Lady Macbeth. I'm far too long in the tooth to play Cathy anyway. Maybe her mother, who croaks in the first reel! 8)

Thanks for the thought ;)

hugs,

Angharad.

PS I'll wait in tomorrow in case they phone.

Angharad

The long awaited next chapter..

..should be celebrated in style. Perhaps we can find a dozen readers to send Angharad a dozen roses each ? I guess sending her a dozen dormice would be out of the question. We could leave a dozen comments, but that would actually be less then this chapter. Frankly, I can't think of a single good idea, let alone a dozen of them. Probably because it's late and I'm very tired after catching up since chapter 126 (which happens to be a dozen + half a dozen) due to having been a bit busy lately.

Hugs (a dozen of them),

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Just loving it.

I'm a new reader and I've been very impressed with your ability to spin a great story. I'm getting attached to the characters, and I'm really learning where things are over in England by looking things up on Wikkipedia. And of course the language, the slang and such thrills me.

I'm just loving it also!

3-23-2012 I am still reading this delightful story. I have long way to go to get completely caught up, but 50 or more chapters each day should do it, unless you start posting 50 chapters a day! See you tomorrow, same times, same play, but the story will continue!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

I'm with you Stormy I started

I'm with you Stormy I started late but am motoring through while at the day(ugh)job makes it bearable the job not the story. Off to click the next chapter. Smiles Jenn. P.S. love your hat.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

verbosity

Lost 3 comments by hitting back space, 3rd time's the charm. Is fetishists even a word ? by the pics some one has been hitting the Dum-Dum book on insertion. I can't figure it out where's the Dum-dum-Dum book open it and a 15yr old pops out and does it for you. If I ever tried what Gaby or Drew or whom ever, at my sedate speed of 15mph I would be picking spokes out of my ( hey, I'm American) fanny for a hour. And in my vast experience with deposits in underwear either cotton or nylon, bogers are the best choice of the three other possibilities, which I will not list. Do you know there are stories that Abe Lincoln was gay ? Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation conceived in liberty that with a little help from the French we stole from the Brits and their coo-coo King
how is that hey another interesting chapter

Cefin