Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 175

Printer-friendly version

"I hope your squeal about doctors doesn't mean you are getting cold feet?"

"It's not just my feet which are cold," I said.

"Oh dear, does that mean you are having second thoughts?"

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by: Her with the red hair.
Part: one and three quarter hundreds.

We were surviving, the meteor storm was all around us but the force-field around Tardis held. I looked at the Doctor again, he was so dishy and so commanding. He was calling instructions to me and I just pushed buttons or pulled levers.

Suddenly bells started ringing and I felt things moving, a meteor had struck the Tardis and the Doctor was being sucked out into space. I felt something grab me, a hideous alien. I struggled then I felt myself falling too.

I screamed, opening my eyes as I hit the carpet on the bedroom floor. The alarm was still beeping, bloody thing and the 'alien' who'd tried to grab me was looking over the bed at me giggling.

"That was so funny, the alarm went off and you started to fall off the bed squealing, something about a doctor. When I tried to grab you, you shrieked and pushed me away."

I was as yet still lying on the floor, the duvet half on and half off the bed, and I felt about as energetic as one of the zombies from 'Shaun of the Dead'.

I was wanting to say something witty back, but my brain felt as if it had been put into cryogenic storage, and the only retort which came was a yawn. I was too tired even to laugh.

"I hope your squeal about doctors doesn't mean you are getting cold feet?"

"It's not just my feet which are cold," I said.

"Oh dear, does that mean you are having second thoughts?"

"No, it's the lack of duvet and winter temperatures." As I tried to untangle myself, Stella fell back on the bed laughing. Is there anything which doesn't make this woman laugh? A room full of Stellas would be the ideal audience for a comedian, mind you he'd probably be deaf when they'd finished.

I stood up and shivered, finally reaching the alarm clock and shutting off its irritating noise. I was now wide awake but had a head like the proverbial bucket, so how Simon was going to feel completely baffled me.

Most of me wanted to get back into the bed before it cooled down too much, the rest decided that I needed to act as the hostess and help my future husband and sister in law, get some breakfast. Duty won, doesn't it always? I grabbed a sweatshirt and some pants and pulled them on over the nightdress, then I scuffed into my slippers. It wasn't elegant, but it was warm and I was too tired to even think about breathing let alone about fashion.

I got downstairs, there was no sign of Simon. Where was he? I rushed into the kitchen, the kettle was hot to the touch. I raced around all the downstairs rooms feeling tired and weepy, where was he?

As I went into the dining room for the second time, he was just coming in through the French window with Kiki on her lead. "Hi sweety pie, the dog needed to go somewhere."

"How do you feel?" I asked waiting for him to confess to a headache or palpitations, or something. Because that's how I felt.

"Great," he grabbed me and hugged me, "Love you."

"I love you too, don't you feel at all hung over?"

"No, why should I?"

"Because you had at least a whole bottle of wine yesterday, that's why."

"Nah, doesn't worry me. I take it Stella is still here?"

"Yes, we decided it was easier for you both to sleep here than try and get you home."

"Sorry about that," is what he said but I doubt he really meant it.

"The amount you drink worries me Simon."

"It's okay, so you don't need to worry."

"Okay with you or with me?" I asked wishing I hadn't started this conversation.

"Just okay, I haven't got time to debate the issue now. Where is that bloody woman?"

At that Stella appeared in the kitchen. "Good morning brother," she addressed to Simon.

"Get your coat on girl, we're late." He handed her her coat and bag.

"What no coffee?"

"Move," he said angrily.

"Hey, just a minute." I said the irritation showing in my voice and body language. "The only reason you are late is because you got yourself drunk as a lord and then unconscious."

Simon roared at the 'drunk as a lord' element of my statement and it is very difficult to stay angry when someone is laughing, but I managed it.

"So don't you dare take it out on your sister for your own mistakes!"

"Finished?" he asked.

"Why?" I asked fuming.

"Boy you are so lovely when you are angry."

He ran off when I started throwing things at him.

I heard two voices call, "Bye," and the door slammed shut. It was half past five. I didn't know what they were on, but I could have done with some.

I went back to the kettle and made a pot of tea and poured myself a cup. Then I had to rest my head a moment, so I sat at the kitchen table with it resting on my forearms. I was still there an hour later when Tom found me complete with cold cuppa.

I heard the kettle click on again and with difficulty, I rose up. "Oh hi," I said yawning.

"Simon and Stella gone?" he asked making coffee.

"Yeah about half five." I yawned again.

"I think you need a bit more sleep, so go back to bed."

"I can't, I have things to do."

"Such as?"

"The project."

"You are not going anywhere near the project like that, it will take too long to undo any mistakes you make. Go to bed, NOW." The instruction was unmistakeable, even in my zonked out state, so I stopped arguing and went back to bed.

I took a while to get off to sleep, but I managed it eventually and awoke about half past ten, feeling much better. I showered and still wearing only a towel, called Pippa.

"There's been one suspicious character hanging around but nobody much."

"See you later." I hung up before she could respond, and dressed in my cycling gear. I was so muffled up against the cold, I could have been anyone. Which was how I got into the university and got them to notify my tutorial students I was open for business.

"Is that your bike?" asked Tim.

I nodded my response.

"Cool," he said and took his seat with the rest of the group.

It wasn't the best tutorial I'd done but they seemed satisfied that we had looked at the issues that concerned them.

"Thanks for your solidarity over the last few days."

Ivan chose to respond for the group. "Prof Agnew said the press were after you and that he'd appreciate our support in not talking to them. We just encouraged everyone else to do the same."

"Well, hopefully it's cooled off a bit now." Did I believe what I had just said, or was it wishful thinking?

"Don't matta," said Ivan, "anyone who says anything is in big bovver."

"Please don't threaten anyone on my behalf Ivan." I urged him.

"It isn't a threat, no one will talk to anyone who breaks ranks."

"What an old fashioned shunning?" I asked amazed.

"It works, or has done so far."

"Until they offer money." I suggested.

"Nah, they won't enjoy it if they do, we'll make sure of it." Said Louise.

"Crikey, don't ever let me fall foul of you lot. Is that why you're seeing me for tutoring?"

"Don't ask questions then no one will tell lies. But no it ain't, you just happen to be da best."

"Ivan, you look far too nice to be a gangsta." I smiled at him.

"Look bitch don't mess wid me or I'll tell my mummy." His voice got higher at the end and we all fell about laughing.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Feel free, oh and feel free to add comments or recipes.

up
167 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Has the script been “Doctored”?

Absolutely superb! Now my confusion is complete.

This story has really reached warp drive now—Oh blast! that's the wrong space series.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Re: Has the script been Doctored?

This story has really reached warp drive now—Oh blast! that's the wrong space series.

It's too bad Angharad hasn't put part of this epic in the world of that other space series! Otherwise, the next time Cathy was faced with those bloody paparazzi, all she'd have to do is open her communicator (or touch her comm badge, depending on the particular part of that other universe you'd prefer to insert into EAFOAB) and say, "Beam me up! There's no intelligent life down here!"!!

Speaking of Star Trek, I really enjoyed one particular episode of ST: Deep Space Nine, written in honor of the 30th anniversary of the original series, titled Trials And Tribble-ations. In this particular episode, it becomes necessary for Captain Benjamin Sisko and several other members of his command to travel back in time to stop a Klingon agent (played by actor Charlie Brill, playing an older version of his character from the original series' episode The Trouble With Tribbles) from killing Captain Kirk and altering history. The episode featured digital editing to insert the DSN characters into a number of scenes from the original episode, including the famous bar brawl and subsequent disciplining by Capt. Kirk! All in all, it was a delightful blending of the original story with new footage and a fitting tribute to the original series on its 30th anniversary!

Jenny

Sent to Coventry

-"What an old fashioned shunning?" I asked amazed. -

Am I showing my age by wondering what happened to being sent to Coventry? Perhaps doesn't resonate with our US friends, I guess.

Geoff

Coventry

OMG, I've definately been reading too much British, OZ, and NZ, fiction if I have no trouble knowing that being put in Coventry means to be banished or ostracized.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Another great chapter

I am sure in America we have the equilivent of being sent to Coventry or worse maybe Cuba? I loved Europe when I was there but I don't miss the drinking well maybe a little your Beer,wine and liquor just tastes better.I would think you don't have Conan O'brien over there he's a late night American comic that comes on after the tonight show with Jay Leno.Anyways he was joking about Berlin discos and there laser shows.It had me cracking up but wishing I was back over there.Time for a recipe the best Barbeque ribs you'll ever have.Using a two sided burner gas grill turn one side on low then using thawed pork ribs babyback or full ribs place them on a sheet of aluminum foil long enough to wrap them in.Fold the edges up then pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of apple juice or cider on them and slice half an apple thinly and place on the underside of the ribs spread out then do the same on the top.Sprinkle a little brown sugar on top then wrap the ribs so that the juices don't leak out.Place the ribs on the cold side of the grill then close the cover all ways close the cover to hold the heat in after every turn or flip, rotate them after forty five minutes without turning them over so the coldest side is then placed closest the heat.After 45 more minutes flip the ribs and rotate them and then after another 45 minute rotate them once more without flipping them.After 3 hours carefully peel back the foil and remove the apple pieces and drain the juices then brush on your favorite barbecue sauce.I like to let it cook on for about ten to 15 minutes per side.Be carefull as your doing that as the meat should be falling off the bones.Amy

I love the kids in the Tutorial

Not so thrilled with the volume of alcohol consumed, but it seems part of the story, and amaizingly Stella wasn't smashed too.

Thanks for the fun

Stella, along with the other

Stella, along with the other women present, was mainly drinking tea.

I am confused by...

I am confused by the statement, "I grabbed a sweatshirt and some pants and pulled them on over the nightdress..."

Why wouldn't she remove her nightdress, Stella had already seen her the previous night and she could turn her back to the bed? Was she sleeping without her pants on? Wouldn't she have been concern that her nightdress would ride up exposing her male bits and perhaps Stella feeling them against her backside during the night? It would make more sense to me if she removed her nightdress, pull on the pants, then the sweatshirt, and then a pair of trousers.

Or are the terms for clothing changing in the UK? Are vests no longer underwear, are pants no longer underwear?

What I meant was....

Angharad's picture

she pulled on sweat top and trousers over her nightie, she was already wearing panties. It was just to keep her warm while she helped the others to breakfast. Sorry for any confusion.
Angharad

Angharad

We knew what you meant

If only we spoke the same language, it would be so much easier...

One Language huh.

You say spoke the same language. How about WRITE the same language. :-) That might be more useful here.

It'd also be hard - specially if you insisted that we all write ENGLISH. Can you imagine a language with more exceptions? I mean really... And, I don't know about other places but the way English is taught today... I shudder to think what we'll be reading in the future, produced by the grade schoolers of today.

A common language is useful, as long as we mean the same thing by the same words. (Which I really think is what you were aluding to.) There is certainly some benefit to that. But inforcing it... Ohhh the nightmare. Like what does "BAD" mean? In some of today's pop culture, bad actually means good. (You bad man!) Go figure...

One language - Ahhh, That was one of the minor themes in GB Shaw's play Pigmallion... Definitely worth a read. Or, you can see it in the staged production or even the movie My Fair Lady (some things are changed between Pigmallion and My Fair Lady, but that's beyond the scope of this response.)... Hmmm. There's a challenge for some enterprising author with some tallent... Make My Fair Lady a TG story... A LOT of it flows as is. Some would obviously have to change. (No charge for the idea.)

Language changes all the time,

Angharad's picture

Cool or wicked now seem to mean something other than the original. It's almost getting to an Alice in Wonderland situation, where I can use any word and it means anything I want it to. Unfortunately, if that becomes true, then we'll only be able to talk to ourselves, because we'll be the only ones who understand us!

Angharad

Angharad

Universal Language

My assistant Ragesh (who is far better educated than I), considers it the universal language because of its flexibility. It's pretty much the lingua franca (there's a phrase that needs updating) in India, especially in cities where citizens can come from communities, divided by culture as well as geography. Ragesh makes a good argument for English as it is spoken in India to be treated as a distinct subset of English with its own traditions, as is American English.

That said, he corrected an English colleague today who used 'solidness'.

solidness

Angharad's picture

According to the OED 'solidness' is a perfectly good adjective.

Angharad

Angharad

that's as may be

but solidity is more eleganter

To Amy

joannebarbarella's picture

The recipe sounds great but three hours for a barbie?? We'd all be pissed before we ate!

3 hour barbie

It just wouldn't work. No matter how good they are.

I'm sorry, but our barbie only burns for about an hour at a time. I'd end up having to stoke it like Casey Jones' engineer and like Jo said, by the time they was ready, I wouldn't be able to stand!

I know, there are those of you out there who feel that anything more than a small Sherry at Christmas leads to a drink problem. Well dammit, I like a few beers with a barbie. I would say that having to wait three hours would kind of put me off and there's a problem with the English weather that throws doubts on whether the weather can hold out for that long plus long enough for the food to be eaten outside.

It certainly wouldn't have last year.

NB

Drunken Barbie…

So that's how my 9-year-old niece's pregnant Barbie ended up in the pudding club!

Gabi.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Quite possibly

I have heard about a lot of things that can happen at barbies.

We keep having them, but so far, they have had nothing interesting happen other than a little over imbibing - boring really!

NB

In the states

They are better known as cook outs.

I always thought Barbie

Angharad's picture

was an anatomically impossible toy, devised by the plastic surgery and slimming industry and designed to give girls complexes about their own bodies.

Angharad.

Angharad

Anatomically imposible, yeah!

Have you ever seen the preggy Barbie? She comes with a "pregnant prosthesis" that attaches to her front using magnets and contains a removable baby. To look at her, she is certainly what the bible refers to as "great with child"!

I'm not quite sure what that's supposed to teach girls about where babies come from. I mean, how many girls have magnets in their abdomens?

I heard that following complaints, Pregnant Barbie was eventually withdrawn from sale and is now something of a collector's item.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

What I Am Thinking

joannebarbarella's picture

We should all be working on this new English and barbequeing all our meat (doesn't sound right, does it?). Maybe I should let this go?

New English?

Angharad's picture

I'm still struggling with the previous sort, and I don't like barbecues either. I like my food properly cooked not a surface cremation and raw middle.

Angharad

Angharad

Here! Here!

Angharad,

I agree wholeheartedly. Barbecues = Yuck! I can't even smell a bbq. without feeling sick. Same goes for flame broiled in restaurants.

Arwen

BBQ

Woah there folks I'm from Texas and this anti BBQ rant is approaching blasphemy. The English argument I could take or leave down here we speak Texan which is the most superior language of all.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

*sighs*

Properly done - grilling does not burn the surface and leave the middle raw. *sighs* Any more than any other cooking method. :-(

My experience is that done right, grilled (barbecued) meats and vegetables can be wonderfully tasty. If you don't like what you've been served, don't blame the method of preparation, blame the cook!

Annette

A recipe.

Now I'm giving you one of my easy and no fail recipes, that's awesome and has gone over well romantically.

Bailey's pecan bliss cookies:

1.Use your standard sugar cookie recipe.
2.Replace all purpose flour with pastry flour.
3.Replace shortening with real butter.
4.Make dough as normal and roll it out to a sheet with about 1/4 inch thick.
5.Cut into circles, rounds if you will.
6.Take two pecan halves dip them in butter then add 1/2 teaspoon of dolche de leche on half of the total number of rounds, the unused round goes on top and pinch down the sides like a filled cookie.
7.Bake as sugar cookie recipe says.
* There is endless variants of this and a great one is to add a soft butterscotch toffee like a Kraft caramel into the cookie, or add a few mini-marshmallows. I've done winegums instead of the nuts and jam instead of the dolche de leche.

Sounds yummy!

Sounds yummy!


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Mysterious siblings

How to cook sea duck. 1 clean and pluck duck .2 rinse well inside and out with running tap water 3 fill a 6qt/ltr pot with red wine and milk, place duck in pot, place red brick on duck. 4 refrigerate over night 5 set oven at 375. 6 remove duck and brick from pot 7 toss duck and bake brick for 45min Enjoy !
Did I mention my lobotomy ?
What is Sarah and Simon up to at 5:30AM
I bet it will upset Cathy.

Cefin