Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 152

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Getting Back From My Party.
by: Angharad Houdini.
part 140 + dozen.

The drive back to Bristol was as tedious as ever, it always seems that way when you don't feel in the mood for delays. The problem with motorways is that they are fast when they are moving, when they are slow, they become stationary. The latter happened three times, at one point I was sat for ten minutes without moving an inch.

I sat yawning and listening to the car radio, mostly radio four, which is primarily talk radio, news and drama and documentary. There was something on about pandas and I suddenly fancied going to China to see them in the wild. Then I remembered some picture I saw on the internet of a domestic cat in a Chinese market, whose fate was to be killed and eaten. How can they eat moggies? That would be worse than eating dormice, I shuddered as I thought about it, and the pandas lost their appeal.

I called in Morrisons on the way in to Bristol and after filling up the tank, which almost required a mortgage, I did some shopping for food as well and crawled into the house about half past one, exhausted.

I defrosted some soup I'd frozen and also some bread, and got them ready to take to my dad. I meanwhile ate a pasty I'd bought in the supermarket, as much for quickness as anything else.

I changed into something more presentable and slapped on some makeup, then I tidied up my hair and swapped the cars over, taking my little Mercedes to the hospital. It felt so small after the bigger Ford.

Daddy was pleased to see me and ate his soup and bread without a murmur. He also seemed happy to listen to me explaining how things were for me. I showed him the ring and he called the nurses to see it. They oohed and ahhed quite a lot, so I suspect they were suitably impressed. Certainly Daddy appeared to be, especially when I told him that it had been modelled around Mum's jewellery. He kept telling me that Simon was a 'vood ban.' It sounded like some decree from Brussels, but I discovered it meant, good man. I wasn't going to disagree.

Eventually I got home and fixed myself something to eat after setting up the bread machine, and putting a load of laundry in the washer. I do love the glamorous female role, yeah, don't I just!

I had just sat down with a cuppa when Simon rang, he'd seen the physio who said he could start driving again in a few days depending upon doing his exercises. That was incentive enough, I could see him driving Stella up the wall rather than out in the car, plus she was going to resent giving up the Saab for her old banger.

He told me he was going to get her a newer car for Christmas, but not to tell her, because he was going to enjoy the month's wind up first. I am really surprised that either of them has lived as long as they have, I half expect to come one day and find they have killed each other. I hope they are insured.

He told me that the markets were very volatile and he'd lost five million by lunch but had recouped it all by tea and turned in a profit of another million, this time playing with oil and gas markets. I had no idea how he could do any of this, the stress must be horrid, coping with what I had to do now, was bad enough.

I checked my emails, there was nothing that needed urgent action, thank goodness. Finally, I changed and went to bed, and this time I zonked in no time. In my handbag were some earplugs I'd bought in the supermarket pharmacy, I was ready for Simon next time.

The next morning, I was still eating my toast when Stella called. "Hi Sis, your appointment with Michael is next monday at three o'clock."

"What, oh my goodness, I'll not get anywork done that day at this rate."

"It is your birthday, dear."

"Oh hell yes, but that is three appointments now. Two quacks and a nutty academic."

"Four if you count dinner with Simon, John and me."

"Oh no, I'll be as fat as a pig."

"Get the bike out girl, burn some carbs."

"Yeah, I wish."

"Why can't you?"

"I have to see them at the university then make some food for my dad and go and see him."

"Why can't you go on the bike to the university?"

"I've got to take my laptop with me."

"Haven't you got a rack and saddle bags?"

"On my road bike!" I screeched, "That's like holding a drugs party in a cathedral, it's sacrilege."

"Oh, I was just trying to help."

"Yes I know. I have to do a presentation to them, I suppose I could download it to a disc and just take that. I could I supose."

"Do you absolutely need your lappie?"

"No it's just the way I've always done it."

"Well now's the time to try something different Sis."

"I'd better not go in cycling kit."

"Is that the yellow one, we replaced?"

"No that's in my room, this one is a GB racing team copy."

"Ooh, I'll bet that's pretty."

"It is actually, red white and blue, but not for a presentation. I'd need to take a change of shoes, possibly clothes. Nah, it's all too much bother, I'll take the car."

"Hypocrite," she snapped.

"What do you mean?" I felt very defensive and hurt by her attack.

"Well you're doing all this stuff about global warming and using a car when a bike would do."

"Okay, I'll go by bike and do the presentation in cycling skins, happy?"

"Don't be like that, I'm just your conscience, like the cricket in Pinochio."

"Sure, I can see your nose growing from here."

"It's like these international agreements to cut CO2, it takes a hundred jumbo jets to ferry all the government odd-bods, and they can't agree anyway, having put thousands of tons of muck into the air for no reason."

"You won your point Stella, leave out the overkill. I'll go by bike, but I need to get ready because it takes longer."

"Oh okay."

"Thanks for organising the appointment with your friend, I do appreciate it."

"That's okay, see you on saturday, which may be the last time you need to baby sit anyway, if he can drive again. I'm back to work on monday, so he can do the same."

I did my disc and got it and the other stuff I'd need into a small backpack I had used before with the bike. I'd also arranged to take the bike into the office to keep it safe, I wasn't going to lose it twice.

I cycled in a top and jeans, with a cycling jacket on top of that. It wasn't the most comfortable gear, but it worked and I got there safely and in good time.

Bob Smart, my liaison, was impressed that I'd cycled. "I try to practice what we're preaching here." Ever the hypocrite, but with Stella's coaching, I was getting better by the day.

The presentation was to about thirty or forty students and teachers who were running the survey. We at Portsmouth had agreed a system with Natural England and their counterparts in Scotland and Wales. This had been backed by government, so it was how things were going to be done.

I'd contributed a small part to the original draft, and Prof Agnew had included some of my survey work. Now I was selling it, like a politician on the stump. Talk about change of role, this was bigger than my gender change, coming from being a backroom boy to a front line girl.

I know I got some stares from the men in the audience, they were expecting a professor and instead of the organ grinder, here was the monkey!

Bob introduced me and pointedly asked how many had arrived by car. All but two had. He then told them, I had cycled, practising what we were all preaching. I reckoned I'd saved about a couple of grams of CO2. One cow fart would neutralise that, but I suppose his point was to get them thinking.

Then it was my bit, oh boy, was I nervous and sweating more than I did on the bike. I went through the chapter and verse, then fended questions.

"Where is Professor Agnew?"

"He's unavailable," countered Bob.

"Yeah, playing golf, while we get his saturday girl."

I decided to intervene. "Yeah, that's about it. I didn't write the protocol for the system, that was Prof Agnew with a colleague. I did however, prove the system, it's based on my survey techniques, which we've honed over two years. The interim results have been published in the Journal of the Mammalian Society, and therefore peer reviewed. So I'm not quite the saturday girl, Girl Friday, perhaps.

Professor Agnew can't be with us today because he was attacked and stabbed while trying to disarm someone who had a mental breakdown and threatened one of his students with a knife. He is recovering and hopes to be back in harness again by New Year."

"Miss Watts, how do you know that what works with dormice, a relatively sedentary species, will work with say, foxes and badgers?"

"We've tried it, so have you. One of your leading Professors has used my system and found it worked in these larger mammals, it's also been piloted with roe deer."

"What do you need us for then?" called some wag from the back.

"Several reasons, firstly, my expertise is with rodents, particularly the Common Dormouse, you are all experts in your own specific area, either of geography or species. Nothing is written in tablets of stone, but we need to make any tweaks to the system pretty quickly. This is going Europe wide, or at least EC wide within two years, and unlike the politicians, we are going to be a major factor in controlling it. This is the biggest survey ever undertaken in Europe, having mention of it on your CVs is going to be very useful. Finally, I can't get everywhere on my bike, so I have to ask you to get on yours."

The combination of kudos and humour seemed to work and I got a standing ovation. I was nearly in a swoon after what seemed like a hostile period. Then several came up and chatted with me afterwards.

"Well Batgirl, I think you sold it as well if not better than Tom would have done. If you'd come in in your riding lycras, they'd have hung on every movement and gesture and not taken on board one word of it. So you'd have had loads of emails tomorrow. Good job done, I'll make sure Tom gets to hear."

"Thank you, but don't make it too glowing, or he'll send me instead of doing his share."

"Okay I won't, how about some lunch?"

"I can't I'm afraid Professor I have to dash back and see my dad in hospital. If he knows I'm in town, he won't eat hospital food, I have to cook something for him."

"That sounds like hard work."

"It is, but he knows if I cooked it or not. I even have to make the bread, using one of those machines."

"Yeah, they're really good, my daughter has one. It used to be ours but we were eating too much bread, so we gave it to her."

I made my goodbyes and rode home as fast as I could, to make him a sandwich and then dash off to the hospital, in the car and wearing a skirt.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I did make it back and here are the results. Let's hear your excuses for not writing comments.

up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Escapology

So you escaped for our sakes. Now I can go to bed happy having had my fix of EAFOAB's Fable for tonight.

Careful about Houdini impressions, Angharad, remember, he died on the job.

Festive hugs,

Gabi

(whose eyes are a little baGi tonight)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

EAFOAB 152

What a way to go!

Oh I see, he died with his boots on, I thought you meant...

John Entwhistle really DID go that way. I bet he was smiling!

Nice one Angharad

I'm catching up...

NB

Excuses

Well besides being the shy, retiring type. This series always seem to effect my breathing. Like our hostess Erin, I have lung problems. Asthma, numerous bouts with bronchitis, pneumonia twice. Some episodes have me holding my breath. Others elicit a contented sigh. Sometimes I'm breathing hard in an effort to keep up. And the quality always seems to leave me breathless. Thank you for your continued efforts on this great series.

A comment?

How can I, a mere plebeian when held against such standards as you have set, make a comment on such a grandiose assemblage of verbiage as this? I could never hope to make a proper comment after reading this finely crafted essay.
Diana

Missed my nap

I had to stay awake all afternoon to get the latest chapter of Charlotte posted to appease the savages 'cause you weren't going to get this up. I could have gotten some more badly needed beauty sleep! ;)

Girl Friday indeed! Friday carries a badge.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Cathy needs a ...

... Winter bike with mudguards and rack. It's the only way to be 'green' :). I've just dragged out my 25 year old mountain bike on slick tyres for that very purpose. It's still hard to persuade myself to get out on these cold, damp, short days. Full marks to Stella for putting a guilt trip on our heroine.

Can't understand why meat eaters get queasy about certain animals (like cats or horses or ... dormice). If you can eat bit of cow corpse why not anything else if it's palatable? I avoid the problem by not eating any of it, but if I was truly starving I'd eat whatever came near enough to grab. As I often say about the English cooked breakfast - the hen's involved but the pig's committed - lol

Thanks, duck :) for another episode from the loony bin.

Geoff

rule of thumb

Angharad's picture

herbivores are safer and tastier to eat. cats are for sitting on your lap and purring, not eating! With the logic above, cannibalism would be okay - apart from all the chemicals in humans, the risk of CJD is too high.

Angharad

Angharad

>>> cats are for sitting on

>>> cats are for sitting on your lap and purring, not eating! <<<

After reading that bit, my first thought was of a Bengal Tiger walking into your room and suggesting that you MOVE to the sofa so there was room for her to lay ACROSS your lap and get the adoration she diserved.

Thanks for more fun... If Cathy'll be riding to work more often, she needs to get some sort of "changing room"... I can't see working in riding rig being the best of ideas. :-)

Thanks for the fun.

Phran

My daily comment

Nice job with the chapter today even though it was a bit much with all the tree hugging.I once owned a huge American car with a 440 cubic inch engine that got 8 miles to the gallon on a good day and if I remember my metric conversion right something like 20 kilometers to the U.S. gallon.It had a bumper sticker on the back that said cat the other white meat I figure who am I to argue with a billion chinese.Lol Amy

Silly metrics

~1.6 kilometers equals 1 mile. ~3.8 liters equals 1 gallon.

8 miles per gallon
~12.8 km per gallon
8 miles per ~3.8 liters
~12.8 km per ~3.8 liters
~3.4 km per liter

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

silly gallons

Are those gallons the US ones? Or the more frugal UK ones?

But I suppose liters are litres the world over.

Hugs,

Fleurie

By the way I have just completed the build of a kit car into which I have squeezed a 1980's Datsun 280ZX engine. I don't know what the fuel consumption is but much seems to depend on my right foot.

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Hokey pokey

"... much seems to depend on my right foot."

As opposed to your wrong one? Heh. Perhaps you need to put it in. Then put it out. Then put it in and shake it all about? Oh, and it is the US Gallon. Yes, I'm geeky enough to throw the math about, but apparently not careful enough to differentiate properly. Ah well.

Time to Dance!
O\-<
O2-<
O|-<
OS-<
O/-<

Er... sorry... dunno what came over me...
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Imperial v US gallons

A US gallon is 8 x 16 oz pints = 128 ozs. An Imperial gallon is 8 x 20 oz pints = 160 ozs. So a US gallon is only 4/5 of an Imperial gallon. I suppose that makes the US gallon the more frugal?

I used to cycle about twice as far as I drove (10k miles/year v 5k miles/year) but I'm afraid that no longer applies as regards the pedalling :(

Geoff

Frugality Explained

You get more miles from an Imperial gallon so it must be the more frugal.

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Imperial v US ounces

Your comparison is interesting, although incorrect. The problem is that the ounces are not the same. This is one reason that much of the world was happy to move to a metric system where a liter is a liter is a liter.

I'm aware of at least 5 entirely different ounces in the western world, as well as a separate Chinese measure which is often translated as "ounce", but is different yet again.

Definitions of "Ounce":

weight:
Avoirdupois, 1 Ounce = 28.349253 grams
Troy, 1 Ounce = 31.1034868 grams
Apothecary, different weight system but has same ounce as Troy.
more:
Amsterdam Ounce, a measure in Indonesia, 30.88 grams
Standard Ounce, a measure in Pakistan, 28.350 grams

volume:
US Fluid Ounce = 29.572702 milliliters
UK (Imperial) Fluid Ounce = 28.41225 ml.
US Dry Ounce (1/16th of a Dry Pint) = 34.4121938 ml.

So, therefore, a US pint, quart or gallon is a bit more than 4/5 of its British cousin. The conversion ratio is that each of these US units makes about .8326747 of its UK namesake.

For what it's worth, pints in each system are defined as 4 gills. The US gill has 4 US ounces and the Imperial gill has 5 Imperial ounces.

More trivia: The US Gallon is also known as the Winchester Gallon and in the UK (which is where it came from in the first place), it is also known as the Wine Gallon. The definition of the Winchester Gallon is exactly 231 Cubic Inches. The definition of the Imperial Gallon is that volume occupied by 10 pounds (Avoirdupois) of pure water at 62 degrees F (and presumably 1 atmosphere of air pressure and 1 unit of Earth gravity.) This latter definition means that one of these British ounces of water weighs exactly one ounce (at the right temp and pressure, etc.)

Meanwhile, I sit here wondering why my German made pilsner glass has an official 0.3 l. marking when EU standards seem to demand 330 ml bottles of beer.

I stand corrected :o)

I always use 28gms (ml) as the conversion (or even 30 if I'm being coarse :) ) for ounces to grams. In any case I generally much prefer to use SI units even though my age tends occasionally to make that difficult (eg my bike frame size has been 22.5" since Pontius was a Pilot). The main problem with wholesale conversion to SI units seems to be that the USA insists on remaining in the 19th, let alone 20th century, and continues using their version of Imperial units. To be fair, there are reactionaries here in the UK who make a point of sticking to old units but they'll die out eventually ... literally.

The only Imperial unit I really like is the pint. Half a litre of draft bitter is too little and a litre is too much. A pint somehow is just right and these days two is enough for an evening :)

Geoff

petrol/Gasoline consumption

In Sweden and in many countries in EUR we use volume per distance, that is Litres per 100 kms.
But it is still the ssame problem for me to translate to the mph in UK or in USA.
Wishing you all a peaceful Christmas period as I will be away for some days.
Ginnie

GinnieG

Consumption confusion

Ever since our petrol pumps started delivering litres instead of gallons I have given up trying to calculate fuel consumption. I bought one of my previous cars when I was working in France and it had a KPH speedometer and odometer. When we metricated our roads stayed the same so we still have MPH speedos (not swimming trunks!!!) in our cars. I got used to Litres per 100kms back then, but now that I once again have an MPH speedo I just get confused. P'raps I could use Litres per 100 miles or MPL (miles per Litre) but at least that would save me having to convert litres to gallons…………

Now I'm all confusticated,

Hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Definition of a Litre (L)

A man who used to work for me about 50 years ago but who left during a particularly exciting period because too much excitement made him tired, defined a Liter thus "A Stupid measurement - too little petrol and too much beer!" (Poor Martin!)

Sorry to have taken so long to reply, but I am just re-reading Angharad's fantastic NEVER ENDING STORY from the start, again. It is not every tale that can survive this, but this one does!

Briar

Briar

driving green

NoraAdrienne's picture

at the moment I'm driving what my kids call The Batmobile... It's a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix SE... 2 door 3.1 OHC 6... whatever that all means.. I bought it used with 45 thousand miles on it back in '95.. Today it has 104,350 miles on it..

I drove it up to visit Sapphire last weekend and got 23 mpg on the highway both ways.... gassed up at home and watched it drop to 16mpg on the first fill up.. I'm guessing that when I refill it tomorrow I will see around 12mpg. By the time I can afford to replace this with something green.. the green thing will have to be at least 6 years old and be in such poor condition that my mileage wont change one iota.. LOL I wish I could afford something better but I'm at the point where my auto insurance is under 1,000.00 dollars a year.. Life sucks when your poor and out of work since the Towers Tumbled.

Nora

If we're talking cars....

Angharad's picture

....I have a '93 Citroen Xantia, diesel turbo, with over 145,000 on the clock. It does about 40mpg.

Whereas my Specialized hardrock XC MTB has done over 2,000 miles and only used a smidgeon of oil, on the chain! The same goes for Dolly, my Specialized Dolce road bike (I have a few other bikes too).

Have a green Christmas.

Festive hugs,

Angharad

Angharad

Green vs Comfort

My Chev. Cavalier gets about 34 MPG EPA estimated, real life a bit less as the traffic around here is not conducive to maximizing gas milage. However, I do it with a roof over my head, a decent-sized trunk for suitcases, groceries or what-have-you, windshield wipers (and a windshield), heat and AC, a AM/FM Stereo CD Player, reclining seats and a holder for my cup of coffee. Try that on your Specialized! Oh, and the only pedals I have to push are the go-fast and stop ones. :P

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Green vs. family

Here I am driving a Dodge Caravan... A real "mom" mobile. But it gets the family around... Now why couldn't they have put a hybrid engine in this pig. Well, we do get about 22 miles / US gallon on the highway. My spouse, on the other hand (who does 34 miles each way - across Manhattan) drives our Kia Rio which gets 33-36 miles/ US gallon. I wish I could say I get more miles on my bike, but sadly this isn't the case.

Phran

Dreaming of a White Christmas—

Angharad wrote:–

Have a green Christmas.

I don't think there’s a possibility of a white Christmas in our part of the UK, Angharad, but I hope you have a merry one.

You'll hate my car, it's an old Volvo estate, 1990 with over 200,000 miles on the clock; it's not very economical and with petrol (gas in US) at £1.02 per litre—approx £4.62 (0ver $9.00) per imperial gallon, I think twice before going on any unneccessary journeys. However it suits my arthritic joints and enables me to live independently. And I ALWAYS give due courtesy to cyclists, having been one in the past, but, sadly, creaky joints (ankles and knees) preclude cycling nowadays.

Christmas hugs,
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Part 151

marie c.

You or someone has intimidated me into sending a comment. I love being intimidated! More, please! Ohhhhhh. Carry on.

Will this be in published form someday?

It continues to be an excellent story of a young TS in a Barbara Cartland style, but good!

marie c.

Barbara Cartland!!!!!

Angharad's picture

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

How could you?

I'll just have to go rip a bodice now!

Angharad

Angharad

How convenient!

Guess what you are getting for Christmas? :)

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way."

College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

EAFOAB

Hey! I can't comment on every flippin chapter.
You really are a slave driver!
I'm reading about now until I get to chapter 200.
Stop being greedy.
Beverly.

But, but, I've really,

But, but, I've really, really been trying to but the dog ate my Dormouse!

My excuse..

Is that I haven't been able to find a way to comment without replying to someone else's comment! o.o

A poem

There once was a girl in Britain,
Whose readers were thoroughly smitten.
She wrote day after day,
For little or no pay,
and the ending,
it is still pending.

Excellent!

Excellent!


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Wonderful mental painting of

Wonderful mental painting of Cathy's day. I feel like I'm following in her wake seeing everything that happens
Kind of riding her emotions, stressful and busy but normancy reigns.
What are you going to do to Cath next ?

Cefin

The better question might be:

What ISN'T she going to do to Cathy next?

Cathy has been harassed by BigMac and Tiger, her mother died, her father has had two strokes, she was getting nasty notes which apparently culminated in Mary's attack, Simon was shot while helping with the dormouse fieldwork, the Prof was injured in Mary's attack, she had her emotions run through the wringer on her last visit with Dr. Thomas, and that's just the nastiest things I can remember.

Now she's trying to juggle a higher workload, getting up to Bristol to visit her father whenever possible, the session with the other psych, the possibility of getting her SRS, which would lead to a fair amount of downtime for her, being engaged to Simon, training people for the dormouse section of the project, and who knows what else. She needs some serious time to relax, or she's going to explode from all the stress!

Sorry...

Julia Miller's picture

a random dormouse chewed up my comment.